[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

So /vp/, what would you do to make the perfect pokemon game?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 55
Thread images: 5

So /vp/, what would you do to make the perfect pokemon game?
>>
>>25047933
Change GF
Change Nintendo hardware
Change gameplay mechanics
Gym leaders + e4 never again ( or post game )
>>
Literally all they have to do to make the games much better is to make the towns/cities/routes bigger. Not like that one mess that I can't remember the name of in Unova, but something more expansive than normal that you can't bike through in the seconds.

That and adding some sort of option that makes the game more challenging that you can access on your own from the start would be cool. I know it's a game for kids but they should know by now that a good chunk of their players are young adults. Yeah you can just play with the exp share off and turn the battle mode to set instead of shift but even with that it doesn't get challenging unless you do like a monotype run or a nuzlocke, neither if which are particularly fun for most people because don't get to use a lot of your favorite mons.
>>
>>25047971
Let's add some specificity into the mix, what gameplay mechanics would make it better than it is now? For me it would be global double battles (like colosseum), and a non luck based way to get stat desirable pokemon.
>>
>>25047984
Big cities would be boring and it would be tedious to go to places.
>>
Have a hard mode that isn't just "grind moar levels!" Basically give more powerful pokemon to trainers all over, especially to gym leaders/ villain teams. Hardest mode restricts use of full restores/ revives in battle.

Would bump back graphics, but make the region HUGE and full. Each legendary pokemon has a dungeon. Actually putting side-quests in the game that aren't "do this in order to progress."

Have a large amount of Pokemon available to use throughout the game.

Obviously this is impossible with the release cycle GF does.
>>
>>25048000
I'm not asking for big cities, just bigger cities. Honestly I haven't played any Pokemon games in about a year or so but I remember on my first playthrough of Y that the game felt much larger and more expansive at the start and I was really enjoying it.
>>
>>25047988
I think singles and doubles should be mixed more seamlessly into single player rather than one over shadowing the other.
>>
>>25047988
When I said gameplay mechanics I was thinking about something like a new damage calculation formula, changes in the battle system itself like more than 4 moves per pokemons, a combo system ... something refreshing ( like mega evolution was gameplay-wise ) that impact directly in battles, so you don't feel like your playing the new pokemon pokedex extension each gen
>>
>>25045544
>>
>>25047933
Leave /vp/
>>
>>25047933
Remove the fanbase.
>>
>>25048160
For having more than 4 moves I was thinking something along the lines of each evolutionary line having a signature move in a 5th move slot. Absolutely nothing else can learn this move except the Pokémon family it belongs to, the Pokémon will always have it once it's been learned, and it only has 1PP. How does that sound?
>>
Cut SE and NVE bonus/penalty at least in half if not quarter. You should a little bonus for type match ups but not "you get to win for free because you memorized the chart 20 years ago!" Stab can be a little better off but 1.5 might be a tad high.

Remove IV relation to stats please. Nature plus EV already fulfills the intended purpose the only IV based stats do is annoy people.

Remove randomized attacks/secondary effects/status effects, at least for the most part, and repurpose the all the stuff that relies on this. Stuff like weather effects, hazards, protect (not withstanding consecutive uses) poison and burn, the speed drop on paralysis, etc are what make the meta-game good and fun. Hax battle coin flipping doesnt.

HMs are now intrinsic to the pokemon. Once you get the appropriate badge, the pokemon can just use the outside of battle effect even if it doesn't know it as an attack.

This is especially good because now routes and dungeons can really open up in regards to puzzles. With players free to use hms without holding back or loathing it, go nuts.

This last one I'm not too sure of. Get rid of shift mode outright and only have set mode? Y/N?
>>
>>25048006
>Don't make it just grind moar levels!
>Just trainers more powerful pokemon to make you need to grind moar.
>>
>>25047933
Fast was genI-genII game
Clever and fun like gen 3 Emerald
Graphics was gen 4
Mechanics like Gen5-bw2
Custumization like Gen6

Also, endgame was emerald and bw2.
>>
File: heros-costume.png (97KB, 256x192px) Image search: [Google]
heros-costume.png
97KB, 256x192px
>>25047933
-Permanent triple battles
-HM moves are regular moves now and are eraseable, side-quests for key items that do the same thing.
-in addition to villain teams, I'd throw in some evil pokemon. Ranging from the common grunt to uncatchable boss Pokemon, but you can still catch boss pokemon in a separate location/situation.
>>
>>25049293
I would like to see some non-pokemon enemies though I could understand why they wouldn't go that route.

On villains though, I would really like GF to try something new with their villains. One of the reasons Gen IV was that one gen I liked less than all the others was that it was the gen where they chose to stick with the team villain thing for good.

>Gen 1 has team rocket. Cool.
>Gen 2 okay cool. Team rocket strikes back.
>Gen 3 alright they're expirementing. We have two new teams. I assumed this would be a transitional phase as GF would slowly wean us off villains like team rocket
>Gen 4 Team Galactic? Fucks sake they're going keep doing it aren't they?
>Gen 5 At least they're the best team since Rocket...
>Gen 6 Oh GF. If you're going to have antagonists following a formula make sure they don't suck

Seriously, how about the antagonists are a huge mega corp rather than some quasi terrorist gang yet again?
>>
>>25047933
-All pokémon have the same base stats depending on their grade.
-Official tiers.
-Much more 2v2 battles.
>>
File: chillin.gif (592KB, 500x375px) Image search: [Google]
chillin.gif
592KB, 500x375px
>>25047933
Emeralds gym pacing
BW2 Challenge mode levels
platinum Post game
HGSS over world features
XY customisation
good OST like ORAS
All fossils in the One Dex pre E4
>>
>>25047933
Okay for one HMs are outdated and only serve to piss me off. I like it how it means your pokemon sort of interact with the environment but the way it's set up just makes you resent it.
>choose a pokemon to have a shitty move
>can't remove it normally, so you may learn a new move and have to make bitter compromises so you can push a rock out of the way five times throughout the game

Possible solutions:
1. Give HMs to the player with the gym badge that allows you to use it with no way of skipping it and allow it to be unlearned like a TM. This way it can be replaced and there's no risk of the player becoming trapped. This won't work if there are any pokemon that can learn a HM at an earlier stage of evolution but not later, which I believe may be the case.

2. Make HMs useable and deletable like TMs, but do not require that the pokemon know them to use them in the overworld. Only require that they COULD learn them. e.g: Garchomp can use rock climb to get places but does not have to KNOW the move in one of its four slots. This solution is not ideal but fuckloads better than the old ass current system.

I appreciate their loyalty to the fanbase and what we want in our pokemon, but gamefreak take playing it safe to the extreme. I always think of pokemon as full of tonnes of traditions. Bullshit that's perpetuated just because it's been around so long.
>>
>>25047933
GF just needs to take more risks.
It will falter here and there, but as long as it shakes things up whilst keeping to the base Pokemon formula, the series will evolve, mistakes will be learned from and great games can come out of it.
Colosseum wasn't perfect and shadow pokemon were kind of gay, but I appreciate the straying from the extremely rigid set of requirements that seem to need to be conformed to for something to qualify as a Pokemon game. Of course, Colosseum wasn't made by GF.
>>
>>25049213
That's what I was thinking. It would be great if they could just bump up the AI with difficulty. The differences in AI between characters is already striking.
>>
>>25049175
Those first three suggestions are embarrassingly bad.
>>
>>25049121
I would like that the pokemon keep all the moves learned by level up + 4 moves slot for TM/eggmoves/tutor
>>
>>25047933

OKay, here is my Pokemon dream game:

It would be a MMORPG with graphics like the new GTA. Each region would be huge and based into the landscapes of the games. Through fields, forests and mountains you would find wild Pokémon, which you could fight for EXP or try to capture them.

You would walk through the fields being followed by your equipped Pokémon, who would engage any wild who came near you. Battle would be Gauntlet style, you giving real time orders to them to act.

You would be free to take regions in any order, but a new experience curve would require you to go explore different lands to find different quests, so you could get itens and EXP to take the harder gyms.

At least there would be a main Pokémon Colosseum, where players (not NPCs) would compete to see who is the true Master Pokémon. The one who wins would then get a unique achievement plus a big reward.
>>
>>25049564
I feel like if the combat is ever going to be reworked to an active battle system they should make trainer a vulnerable character that can get hurt in wild and villain battles and your pokemon have to actually protect you from your opponents or it can be a very sudden and abrupt end to your battle (game over). It wouldn't be too far from their original idea in red/green which was to have the trainers involved in the battles.
>>
>So much people talking about HMs
>"HMs are now intrinsic to the pokemon"

I'm ok with it. BUT only if the pokemon looks physically capable of. Sample:
>CUT: only pkms with claws or blades (Sandslesh, Schtyer, Charmeleon, Serviper...)
>FLY/SURF can't be learned by smaller/fraill/unrideable pokemons (you can't ride a tiny pidgey/starly)
>>
>>25047933

>Difficulty on par with blaze black/volt white
>make HMs unlearnable without having to use the Move Deleter or add key items that mimic their effects
>bring back Gen 1 and 2 fishing mechanics
>more double/triple/rotation battles, especially against gym leaders
>bring back the Pokemon World Tournament
>Champion, E4, and every gym leader past the 3rd gym should have a full team
>no more hidden stats, make IVs and EVs viewable or at least something that can be unlocked through gameplay
>post game items that can unlock a Pokemon's hidden ability
>do not ever do anything like Delta Episode ever again
>>
>>25049564
>It would be a MMORPG with graphics like the new GTA.

Meh, it doesnt fit the universe
Try Zelda Wii U's graphism instead
>>
>>25047933
TMs are kept as they are, but other moves can be used instead (eg. any slash-like move can remove trees, any fighting type move can smash rocks...)

Scaled gyms, gyms will have a level close to your pokemon, evolving accordingly, gyms no longer have to be followed on the same order (but keep the traded pokemon not obeying if less than X badges)

Remove nip pandering
Remove temporary events (instead release them from X day onwards, if needed)
Remove shitty forced "save the world" plot
Remove shitty route limitations, like how in B2W2 there were a bunch of retards just blocking routes until defeating the E4
Punish bad choices instead of just denying them, want to explore that endgame cave with your level-5 shitmons, go for it :^)
>>
>>25049866
>Remove nip pandering

Aside from something like this never ever happening when the game is japanese, what do you consider nip pandering?
>>
File: 1430606606512.png (302KB, 390x291px) Image search: [Google]
1430606606512.png
302KB, 390x291px
>>25048160
We have moves that combo into each other, the Pledge moves. They're shit.

>>25047984
I disagree, I fucking hate big cities in Pokémon. Castelia was tolerable because it was the first one and it was relatively easy to navigate, but Lumiose is hands-down the worst city in the franchise, I fucking hate having to go there. I hate Mallville too, but that's less due to its size as a standalone and moreso them changing a tiny cozy area to a giant ugly-ass shopping mall (but they won't take the fucking time to remake New Mauville instead of putting two rooms with zero puzzles in its place).

>>25049213
Why would you need to grind just because the opponent has a competent team? Are you too incompetent to build your team properly?

>>25049175
You shouldn't have issue winning with a type disadvantage. It's true that having a type advantage is usually all you need to steamroll the AI but that's because the AI usually has shit teams.

>>25049564
Baiting too hard.

>>25049672
Now this guy is reasonable, though I think third Gym is a bit too soon, maybe every Gym leader around the sixth and beyond have a full team and the ones previous work their way up. Something like

>2
>3
>4
>4
>5

And then full for the rest.
>>
>>25049866
Exploring the endgame cave could be considered a great choice if you save at the start and throw Pokéballs at everything until you catch a Lv. 50 Pokémon. Now you have something massively overpowered against the first Gym Leader's level 14 ace.
>>
>>25049884
>Japanese exclusive events
>Moves being restricted because "muh japanese names"
>The shitty plot by extension, since nips love that kind of shit so much

>>25049903
Cheesers gonna cheese, that's a fact, why not get fun options at least?
It's not like you can just grind to insane levels
Also
>Scaled gyms, gyms will have a level close to your pokemon, evolving accordingly, gyms no longer have to be followed on the same order (but keep the traded pokemon not obeying if less than X badges)
>>
>>25049897

Third gym wouldn't have a full team, fourth and onwards would. I don't think that's unreasonable, because unless you're doing a nuzlocke you should definitely have your own full team by then.

Also, instead of gym leaders being bound to a single type, make them have a theme instead, like the gym leader only uses eeveelutions, every pokemon has a sound/musical theme, or a safari-themed gym with girafarig/donphan/pyroar/etc.
>>
>>25047933
A team is hell bent on taking all pokemon you fight them in one region before e4 they activate their plan taking over all pcs and all pokemon stored. The games legendary steals your mons and youre forced to travel to a new region ehere the teams HQd start another journey then you eventually beat them and get all mons back.
>>
File: 1385423307814.png (403KB, 600x400px) Image search: [Google]
1385423307814.png
403KB, 600x400px
>>25049919
Level scaling in JRPGs is a shit idea and will always be a shit idea. It completely removes the point of leveling up, and sometimes it leads to the game being easier if you actively avoid levelling up, which is just bad game design.

>>25049919
And what exactly would your western Pokémon game be? Dewrito sponsored Pokémon events and an "epic" plot that tries to turn the game into a AAA movie? The second point seems like a stupid thing to complain about too because the Jap moves are the canon ones, and just because some were non-literally translated like "firefly light" being Tail Glow doesn't mean we should start giving every Pokémon with a tail that move.
>>
>>25049951
Yeah, I'm all for non-linear gyms but what they should do instead is set a flag for when you beat a gym and adjust them accordingly. So it's tied to your actual progression and the order you beat them in not the levels of your pokemon.
>>
I have to know, did anyone actually like the switch away from tile-based movement?

It looked like going free-roaming was a full-on gimmick, but I haven't played any of the versions that abandoned the grid, so I'm not sure how well it was implemented.
>>
>>25049951
shit idea =/= shit implementation

then again, something like "can't catch pokemon higher than X level unless you have more than Y badges" may be a better approach to >>25049903 issue

>And what exactly would your western Pokémon game be? Dewrito sponsored Pokémon events and an "epic" plot that tries to turn the game into a AAA movie? The second point seems like a stupid thing to complain about too because the Jap moves are the canon ones, and just because some were non-literally translated like "firefly light" being Tail Glow doesn't mean we should start giving every Pokémon with a tail that move.
A fedora tip for you, and a reasonable response for any other reader

>non intrusive plot, it's there, if you want to follow it do so, if not, keep your way, and tone down the "muh chosen one", gens I and II did it right, all others kept getting worse and worse
>Improve the translation, so they make sense (Sucker punch -> Cheap shot, there, distribution fixed)
>>
>>25049993
It doesn't really have a huge impact on the way they lay things out. Their level design still feels like it was mostly made for grids. Either way you shouldn't really feel too much of a difference.
>>
>>25050003
Changing Sucker Punch into Cheap Shot won't change its distribution
Why would you think that?
>>
>>25047933

Add news ways of increasing friendship and lower/remove the value of IVs, EVs and experience points. Pokémon power is now directly linked to his friendship value.
>>
>>25050013
change the name so its existing distribution doesn't feel as awkward
>>
>>25047933
huge region with tons of side-activities, also Challenge Mode available from the start would be nice

basically all that will never happen again
>>
I think bumping the Pokemon attack slots up by two would be nice. A fifth move would look out of place down on the list by itself, and only one move doesn't seem like enough. Three or four extra would seem like too much in my opinion, so two would be a good number. I think this will be almost necessary for future generations considering the sheer number of moves available in the game.

Item HMs are the way of the future. An old fangame demo did this, where they had HM items as key items but had Cut as a regular TM and it worked perfectly. Surely Gamefreak has thought of this idea by now too, people have been bringing it up for years.

And it wouldn't be a necessary thing to add but I think more minigames would be fun. Thanks to online capabilities, not having enough local friends for multiplayer games (like RSE berry mixing) wouldn't be an issue. They would increase your Pokemon's regular friendship instead of a separate friendship level like Amie. Just more things to do in general would be nice, you always run out of things to do once you beat the E4.

>>25048035
This. Same with triple battles. Doubles and triples feel like they're being ignored, which is a damn shame considering how fun they are.
>>
>>25049993
The game still has a grid, don't worry, it's just that you can walk in 360 directions and if something like a wild encounter happens you snap to the grid.

>>25050003
"Sucker Punch" makes enough sense to me as not literally being a punch but rather just a cheap shot instead of calling it literally "Cheap Shot."

I get the feeling you're one of the people who go to Bulbapedia and write translations like "Extremespeed means 'Swiftness' in Japanese trust me I'm very good at this."
>>
Return of the minigames/peripherals/end game zones.
>Underground for Fossil searches
>Pokewalker-style pedometer or fitness tracker to catch Pokemon/items from your cardio.
>Dream world for Berries management
>The Casino games
>Contests/Battle Frontiers
>Bug-Catching Contests (maybe Fishing Contests?)
>Return of the Safari Zone
I want all the side-bits back. Or at least accessible through time put in, or exploration.
>>
>>25050520
I'd like for them to combine the old Safari Zone with the Friend Safari. The large explorable area of the Safari Zone and the Pokémon selection changing of the Friend Safari in one would be cool to see.
>>
>>25052873
So, like the HGSS Safari but with forced multiplayer?

I'm not a fan of that idea. I like the traditional Safari Zone and like HGSS but didn't like the HGSS Safari Zone.
>>
>>25050060
I hope that you are aware that in such a scenario they wouldn't just add more attack slots and call it day. Since they designed all these attacks around having four moves a lot of them would be reworked, changed, outright removed, and more. It would make the physical and special split seem like a minor change.
>>
>>25047933
>all pokemon obtainable in some way
>Following pokemon (Super mystery dungeon models can be used maybe scale some down but probably leave them as is and just add shinies/whatever.)
>all regions available. you must beat the elite four to access the next region though, you can choose which one you start in.
>Shadow pokemon and snag balls from Colosseum/Gale of darkness.
>Trainer customization and purchasable bases
>Base customization
>More interaction options in amie
>You can be on the 'bad guy' team in any region
>a place to battle randomly generated teams with themes after picking difficulty/levels
>Difficulty selection
>Seasons and weather are things again.
>Some legendaries are actually legendary in non multiplayer and have their abilities like they're supposed to.
Everyone else would probably hate this pokemon game given /vp/s opinions I guess.
>>
>>25047933
Let's start by putting in NPC's that aren't complete pushovers. Also, an actual rival would be nice.
>>
>>25049451
Your post is embarrasingly bad
Thread posts: 55
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.