[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

RBY Return Thread

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 105
Thread images: 16

File: Pokemon RBY.jpg (73KB, 630x332px) Image search: [Google]
Pokemon RBY.jpg
73KB, 630x332px
With Pokemon RBY on it's way back what feature that was introduced post-first gen would you like to have added to it. Literally nothing other than just one thing you're allowed to add to it, Sevii Islands doesn't count, too big.
>>
> Experience bars
>>
>>25019294
As was stated experience bars would be nice. Also being able to walk up to a tree or water and click A to use the said HM on it. Figuring out to use Cut for the first time at Surges gym was a train wreck for me back then.
>>
I'm going to play through each generation, one game unless it's a sequel game. Which ones should I pick /vp/?
>>
select button shortcuts

does anyone remember how much of a pain it was to go into your bag and pick the bike every single time
>>
>>25019299
This or attack descriptions.
Almost posted, but then remembered the only truly painful thing in RBY: storage box mechanics.
>>
File: pocketmonstersguidebook.jpg (119KB, 482x700px) Image search: [Google]
pocketmonstersguidebook.jpg
119KB, 482x700px
>>25019294
I really wish they would've changed the game to let "Green" be playable as was originally intended
>>
>>25021245
For Gen 1, Blue. It has better version exclusives and Yellow isn't a true definitive version of the generation. Honestly any of the games is good for a playthrough.

For Gen 2, Crystal. Unless you really want to use Ampharos, otherwise go with Silver.

For Gen 3, Emerald.

For Gen 4, Platinum.

For Gen 5, Black -> Black 2 as Zekrom makes better ideological sense to be caught by N.

For Gen 6, Y because of the final solution
>>
>>25021288
That would be like playing as Barry instead of Lucas. You can't play as your rival.
Maybe they could let Blue be a playable character like in FRLG, but in RBY she would basically be a Lass sprite.
>>
Without the wifi people will drop the game as soon as they'll reach elite 4 (or Mewtwo).
>>
Running shoes. Or better yet, Dodrio Gameboy, if that counts.
>>
File: leaf upskirt.jpg (403KB, 752x1080px) Image search: [Google]
leaf upskirt.jpg
403KB, 752x1080px
>>25021366

I think he means that (playing as the female), not as the rival.

But maybe you already know that?
>>
>>25019294
Well, they'll likely fix the Mew Glitch, lest they risk letting their promotion get screwed over (yes, that code works for RGBY as well as XY and ORAS).

Aside from bugfixes like that one or the Focus Energy one that only got fixed in Stadium before Gen 2, I'll have to say either the ability to run like in TCG or storage box mechanics.
>>
>>25021493
I'm gonna have to go with storage box. As it should no longer be limited by the flash memory.

Ability to replay through the trainers and gym leaders. RBY is pretty done once you complete it.
>>
File: VC Team plan.jpg (41KB, 344x323px) Image search: [Google]
VC Team plan.jpg
41KB, 344x323px
I think adding a female character option like originally intended would be cool (wouldn't use it myself but I know it'd be better to have that option)
Also postin my team plan for Yellow, me and two friends are all getting different versions and setting up completely different teams with no repeats, so some options I wouldn't normally choose but it's still a solid team for me
>>
Bigger pack
Unbreakable TMs
>>
>>25021981
>Reusable TMs
Pretty much this. Would be better than having to literally play again everytime I want to use one.
>>
GSC colored sprites
>>
File: pondering.jpg (208KB, 1300x1300px) Image search: [Google]
pondering.jpg
208KB, 1300x1300px
battle frontier
>>
Ideally for me would be to fix the worst bugs (moves not functioning) and keep the fun bugs (MissingNo and Mew) while improving the game in ways that doesn't affect the balance (bigger backpack, faster saving, etc)

Also rate my team
>>
File: rby team with moves.png (153KB, 905x384px) Image search: [Google]
rby team with moves.png
153KB, 905x384px
>>25022087
Of course I forget the image
>>
Do you guys know if they are offering the language packs like XY and OS have?

I thought I was cool as fuck to have the choice to play in a different language.
>>
Running
>>
>playing to Gen 1
Why would anyone play those things again? I can understand nostalgia up to Gen 2 but Gen 1 was objectively bad on many accounts.

>>25021981
>>25022012
>unbreakable TMs
Why? Both the PC and the bag have very limited space. There wouldn't be enough space to hold everything.
>>
>>25022101
where are you going to get all those hyper beams?
>>
>>25022148
This. The added wireless function isn't going to make me spend a couple of bucks on it.
>>
>>25021452
He's trying to start a name war.

I do agree with him though. Blue is the girl, Green is the rival.
>>
>>25022148
Gen 1 was the Star Wars Kinect of the series - from an objective point of view it was pretty bad, but it brings forth a sense of childlike wonder and excitement from people.
>>
>>25022179
I think that how people use those names to refer to which people gives off a hint as to where they're from or what region first introduced them to Pokemon. If they refer to the girl as Blue and the rival as Green, then they were introduced to Pokemon through Japanese games and media. If they refer to the girl as Green and the rival as Blue, then they were introduced to Pokemon through Western-released games and media. If they refer to the girl using a name like Giselle and the rival as Gary, then they never played the games - they just watched the show.
>>
>>25021338
Yeah that's basically what I was thinking. The only one I was considering otherwise on that list was Yellow, and that's because that's the version I played the least for obvious reasons.
>>
>>25022239
Except he was pointing out that Yellow is NOT a true definitive version of the generation.
>>
>>25022231
I was introduced to Pokemon through western media. I'm just a fucking weeb and there's a scene in the PokeSpe manga where the fact that the rival's name is the color green is brought up. That and green being the one that got remade and not blue.
>>
>>25022245
I was agreeing with what he said, and said that the only thing I might change from that list is that I might play Yellow instead of Blue since I had played it the least when it was out.
>>
>>25022212
Doesn't change the fact that playing it now is ridiculous. I played Yellow during the holiday and it was a nightmare.
>completely unbalanced game with Psychic not having any counter, only 3 Ghosts that are also Poison, Bugs are useless
>Special stat gathers Sp. Atk and Sp. Def, making it Special based types completely OP
>Dodge and critical hit mechanics are completely messed up. Razor Leaf is an almost certan critical hit
>Past level 30, Gym Leaders can be beat with a team whose highest level Pokemon is still ~10 levels lower (I'm not kidding you, those who claim Gen 1 was difficult are blinded by nostalgiafaggotry)
>no held items
>PC and bag have limited capacity (possibly the biggest offense)
>don't look good, even considering the platform
>a single side quest
>zero replayability and no post-League
The list goes on.
Just take an Abra near Cyrulean City and you're good.
>>
>>25022231
I have played every game since 1999 and I have always called the rival Gary (not ingame, but talking about him).
>>
>>25022101
How are you going to nickname Jynx? Only one avaible in-game comes from trade with npc and is named Lola.
>>
>>25022101
Cool team bro. I personally love all of these mons and you didn't go full OU madness.
>>
>>25019294
Any chance Pikachu could learn Thunderbolt in Red/Blue like it can in Yellow, rather than requiring a TM?
>>
File: jynx.gif (7KB, 160x160px) Image search: [Google]
jynx.gif
7KB, 160x160px
>>25022101
>jynx's pose
>immediately reminded of this

I never knew...
>>
File: 1444136848076.jpg (160KB, 828x686px) Image search: [Google]
1444136848076.jpg
160KB, 828x686px
>>25022101
nice nicknames asshole
>>
Context-sensitive HM overworld use
Like just clicking on a bush or water to use cut or surf
>>
>>25022101
>Kangaskhan
>Fly
you planning on evolving one of the glitches to get that or something? I wasn't aware of any way to do that.
>>
>>25022268
What side quest? Team rocket? Isn't that main story?
Also the reason I love gen 1 and still replay it often is because it still lets me feel something few gens have after, which is this feeling of exploring instead of being sent places.
In no way am I arguing it's anywhere near the best gen, but on how much fun I can STILL have, it's one of my favorites
>>
>>25022906
yeah, level it up once and you'll get a lvl 1 Kangaskhan
>>
>>25022179
This is exactly why people gave up and just called the female protag Leaf in FR/LG you autismos
>>
I'm thinking of going full autist and having all three;

Yellow will be for having all three starters and keeping them unevolved. Might also include Mew in this team.

My other playthroughs will cover similar typing but with different mon, something like;

>Red / Blue
Charizard / Dragonite^
Starmie* / Blastoise
Snorlax / Tauros
Raichu / Jolteon
Rhydon / Golem
Alakazam / Gengar

^or just Articuno if I can't be bothered with Safari Zone and Dratini grinding
*or Vaporeon/Gyarados/Lapras, since there are lots of water type mon that I like
>>
>>25022304
Wait, really? I thought you could find Jynx on Seafoam Islands.
>>
>>25021452
Yes! Leaf.
But call Her " Green".
>>
>>25021431
>people will stop playing the game after they reach the end of it

STOP THE PRESSES
>>
How will trading work?
>>
>>25022927
he means cerulean cave. plotwise the game ends once you beat the league
>>
>>25023648
Remember that this is /vp/, where people give a shit about the adventure and main story and just care about MUH POSTGAEMM
>>
>>25023683
Local wireless
>>
>>25021246
You know you can rearrange itens and moves using select, did you?
>>
Wild Mr. Mime, farfetchd and jynx.
>>
I just want them to fix the leech seed+toxic stack and other move related issues. It would also be great if they fixed the typing problems.
>>
I want them to fix the black jynx into the purple version, its to racist that way.
>>
Honestly, I think the whole VC RGBY thing should just go away. They should release it as part of a twofer with gen6 or delay until gen7, whichever is closer remake. There could be a nostalgia mode where it does away with the new content and just adds the modernization features. Though if I'm being perfectly honest, I think that every piece of modernization added moves you one step further away from the original game, and in my mind alters the feeling. I might be too much of a purist.

I also had an idea for the games being hybrid, where you can flip between the newest features and looks and the classic freely, but I don't know if they could do that without making it too gimmicky. It also doesn't address incorporating the new content in the old game mode.
>>
>>25023457
the Japanese version of blue you could find them there
>>
>>25019294
Bugfix.
>>
There is literally no excuse not to have:
>experience bars
>reusable TMs
>HMs automatically work in the overworld

And don't you dare make me play these games again if you haven't fucking fixed:
>utter lack of Bug moves, making the type suck
>utter lack of Ghost moves, making the type suck
>utter lack of Dragon moves, making the type...well, just give us Dragon Claw idk
>the retarded crit mechanics
>and most importantly, the special stat split and the physical/special split

It hurts knowing that I'd love to replay these games if they'd just spend like four days tweaking this shit. It hurts even more to know they could pay some autist like $350 for a week of his time and it'd all be implemented, but not only will they never, ever do that, but they ACTUALLY have the balls to sell us a directly ported copy of Red/Blue/Yellow without one single point of data changed.

But it hurts to MOST to know we'll all still buy it
>>
>>25026694
Just play red++
>>
>>25021245
Always third version, except arguably Yellow since that's the anime tie-in and not really a third version. If you're emulating, get a patch for the games that removes version exclusives or makes all 151/251/386/etc. catchable.
>>
>>25022268
Stadium is the postgame in Gen 1.
>>
>>25026694
Why not just play LG/FR? It's everything you want and you most probably already own it.
There's no reason to buy those today.
>>
>>25028708
They should put stadium on the wii u eshop and make it compatible with the eshop rgby
>>
File: Pokemon Stadium.jpg (107KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
Pokemon Stadium.jpg
107KB, 1280x720px
>>25028746
I didn't know I wanted this until you said something. That would be so killer, even if I already own Stadium.

I know all of my friends with 3DS's, even that aren't too big into Pokemon, are getting the remakes just for nostalgia sake and it would be so cool to be able to fight with our teams in 3D on a Wii U.
>>
>>25028717
I like FRLG but I never played the RBY. Is there anything in RBY that is better than FRLG?
>>
>>25028808
Nope.
>>
>>25028808
For my it is better for nostalgia reasons, but I understand that for anyone else it might be the other way.

If you haven't played RBY when you were a kid, surely you will find them annoying.
>>
>>25028796
>WAHHHHHH! TAKEN DOWN IN ONE HIT!

That announcer is such a best.
>>
>>25028856
He was the best pick for the game. It's live you were in the show!
>>
>>25028808
Read >>25022268 and >>25026694

These games are incredibly outdated and played solely for nostalgia. If you haven't played them as a kid, getting them has no meaning. And it will be less money wasted in this scam.
>>
>>25026694
>I have no idea how programming works
>>
in game changes: any official confirmation yet?

all articles on topic are 90% copy pasta, and suggest the games are being re-released in an untouched state.

surely GF will patch and spruce them up with fixes and features? surely?
>>
>>25029027
anyone? is there still limited info out there?
>>
>>25029027
>What is Virtual Console
>>
>>25029553
hi there green friend, first of all, please let me upvote and praise you for your most funny of posts! very on trend

secondly, he isn't fucking asking about Virtual Console you nugget brain nose bleeder — he's asking if anyone knows ANYTHING about the games themselves

are people expecting any edits whatsoever or is the general prediction that they'll be untouched?
>>
File: 1450612106441.png (570KB, 590x715px) Image search: [Google]
1450612106441.png
570KB, 590x715px
>>25019294
>tfw I can play gen 1 with other people through wifi
i'm excite
>>
>>25028989

And neither do you it seems, you fucking retard. If a bunch of spergs can overhaul the game for their romhacks, building the tools and such, imagine how much less time it'd take an experienced programmer with the game's (relatively simplistic, it's a fucking GB game we're talking about) source code to implement these changes.

tl;dr go fuck a cactus
>>
>>25029804
>a massive game that's compressed to 1MB
>relatively simplistic
Confirmed for not knowing what you're talking about.
>>
>>25019294
press select button to use bike
>>
>>25029606
Well there have been a couple changes between VC games and their originals (what comes to mind are Pokémon Snap adding the ability to save your photos and changing Jynx's skin color, DKC2 fixing that one glitch that can brick your game, and Wario Land 3 having a couple slight palette edits that are so minor I don't even know why they took the time to do it), but no major gameplay changes.

As people keep saying in the thread, just play a hack like Red++ if you want those things that guy was sperging about earlier. We all know this is overpriced so just play that and don't buy this.

>>25029975
There's plenty of free space on the ROM in RBY. GSC is the real magic compression thanks to Iwata.
>>
>>25029629
You can't.
>>
>>25029027
>the games are being re-released in an untouched state.
Its the Virtual Console emulation. Not a remake dumbass. The only thing thats likely to change is Missingno., and only as much as it corrupts save files and freezes the game. Possibly even Glitch city. But the "Minor" bugs wont be fixed nor gameplay changed
>>
>>25031168
They'd better fix the Mew glitch if they don't want their promotion screwed over.
>>
>>25031173
>gameFreak in charge of doing anything intelligently

>Jirachi is being released in fucking may
>>
Why are people expecting an actual remake with gameplay changes

It's just going to be a 100% copy of RBY
>>
File: RBY.png (37KB, 513x477px) Image search: [Google]
RBY.png
37KB, 513x477px
Rate my teams niggas
>>
File: 1404781031220.png (717KB, 1036x765px) Image search: [Google]
1404781031220.png
717KB, 1036x765px
>>25031286
>not evolving your starters in Yellow
>playing what's essentially the same game three times in the first place
>>
Jynx to be available in the wild
>>
File: best-games-never-made-6.jpg (16KB, 400x314px) Image search: [Google]
best-games-never-made-6.jpg
16KB, 400x314px
>>25031286
I think you have severe autism, pal.
>>
more item space and a pc that doesn't make you save everytime you try to move something
>>
>>25022101
>love jynx but can't ever get a decent setup that makes her work
What a shame. Also whats with that counter were her defences different in g1 to warrant that? Shes a popsicle in the sun to phys now.
>>
>>25032196
>jynx mega that turns her into prple gardevoir
>>
>>25029027
>>25029165
It's not really that there's little info available it's that there really isn't anything else to tell. The only thing Nintendo says will change is trading and that is to be able to do it over local wireless, not even wifi. Assume the entirety of the rest of the game to be more or less untouched unless they say so. As many other anons have said, it's not a remake, it's a re-release. do not expect any changes.
>>
File: tW02z0f.jpg (177KB, 1704x1280px) Image search: [Google]
tW02z0f.jpg
177KB, 1704x1280px
>>25024247
there was a screen actually, and they did change jynx to grey from black

has some interesting implications, means they still have the source code and can make other changes. will they remove slots? get rid of the whips?
>>
>>25032522
>yfw they contact the guy who made this and ask if they can just use his code

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CBodTX37Gm4

I mean it was made for Crystal but it could probably be translated to Gen 1 easier than making it from scratch.

Though, you don't even need a source code for that change in pic, I'm pretty sure you could use a hacking tool to insert a new sprite.
>>
>>25032926
>Though, you don't even need a source code for that change in pic, I'm pretty sure you could use a hacking tool to insert a new sprite.
you could but it's unlikely they did that

the new sprite would have a different filesize, and the memory banks in the japanese rom was packed TIGHT, so any change in filesize would lead to shifting sprites around to make them fit, and that would require some ugly changes to the code

it's possible to do that without source code but it's a big hassle without it and dead easy with
>>
>>25032955
>the new sprite would have a different filesize

Would it? It's the same amount of pixels and colors, they just changed some from one color to another.
>>
>>25032955
People do sprite hacks all the time with no issues.

You're suggesting that Nintendo can't do the same thing a 13 year old kid can.
>>
>>25032964
the sizes differ because they're compressed

>>25032983
that's exactly what i'm suggesting. sprite hacks are easy in games where the graphics are uncompressed, and in games with unbanked memory with plenty of free space. how many sprite hacks did you see of pokemon red before people spent five years reverse engineering the source code?
>>
File: image.jpg (127KB, 744x1323px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
127KB, 744x1323px
>>25031147
>Red++
Tell me more
>>
File: red plus plus gender.png (3KB, 160x144px) Image search: [Google]
red plus plus gender.png
3KB, 160x144px
>>25033196
http://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?t=336256
>>
Wifi trading. Without it I'd be stuck playing the game exactly like I did as a kid. Beat the elite 4 then start a new game and do it again because I couldn't complete the dex so why keep playing the same file. I couldn't trade locally then and I can't trade locally now.
Thread posts: 105
Thread images: 16

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.