[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I never played HG/SS, is it as good as everyone makes it out to be?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 51
Thread images: 5

I never played HG/SS, is it as good as everyone makes it out to be?
>>
>>24987047
Lol no
Slow as fuck and level curve is still garbage.
>>
>>24987047
why dont you try out and find out anon
>>
>>24987047

Download it and see for yourself, it's literally 5 minutes away.
>>
>>24987057
The level curve meme needs to die. Being over or under leveled was never an issue. And i grind before gyms.
>>
>>24987047
Arguably the best Pokemon game, however I implore you to play one of the hacks that improves upon it. If I remember correctly, there was one that lets you catch Houndour in the early Geodude-infested area by New Bark Town, among other things.
>>
The best thing about it is easily the pokeathelon. Outside of that it's just g/s with gen 4 graphics and updated mechanics.
>>
>>24987047

It has the best post-game in the series (copy-paste of Pt battle frontier but it was still great). If you played gen1/2 you'll get a nostalgia boner. Safari zone next to Cianwood gives a ton of diversity to your potential team. Starters suck and if you're a perfectionist like me, the level curve will bother you with crappy places to grind (Blackthorn gym is 38-41, nearest grinding places the Pokemon don't go above 27). But the game is easy enough you don't need to grind much at all.
>>
>>24987155

I want to hear more of the hacks, as long as they don't have any OC or bullshit.
>>
>>24987047

The best games with S2/W2. Still have some problems here and there.

Play SacredGold/StormSilver and you have the ultimate experience.
>>
>>24987335

What makes those good?
>>
>>24987047
No, it's waaay over hyped. The game is full of total shitmons. Nothing but worthless bug types, graveller and zubat which is what you will find 90% of the time because of how many fucking caves you have to go in. Do you know what else? They didn't even fix the leveling problem the older games had. Just skip this one.
>>
>>24987353

HG/SS have two regions -> 16 badges. Very much to do. BW2 also.

HG/SS had some problems, like low level curve. The most fixed the rom Hacks called StormSilver/SacredGold and even included new story elements, you can catch all 493 known pokemon (minus some legendary), 90% even before the Elite 4, higher levels and better opponents. Beliebe me they are the ultimate pokemon experience.
>>
>>24987461

I meant what made the rom hacks so good.
>>
>>24987057
Other than that it's really good dude.
I fucking hate the level curve though. I suspect GF did it to artificially increase gameplay time.
>>
>>24987077
The problem is people don't want to have to grind. You don't have to grind to be prepared for other gyms in all honesty in the other games. HG/SS is honestly the only one you need to grind for.
>>
>>24987188
Sacred Gold/Storm Silver
>>
File: image.png (2KB, 96x64px) Image search: [Google]
image.png
2KB, 96x64px
>>24987420
Older games didn't have the leveling problem. These games were the only ones with that problem.
Also,
>so many caves you have to go into
>literally only are forced to go into two caves
Petrel does best Constanta face
>>
I just fucking hate that the Giovanni event is locked behind a Nintendo event and is impossible to get legitimately nowadays.
>>
>>24988213
>legitimately
:^)
I got it from one of the giveaway people. Francis.
>>
>>24987047
Short answer: yes
Long answer: It has major flaws, but the highs are so fucking high that it's so much fun to play. Really that's what it comes down to. It's fun as hell. If you want to make it less tedious, consider using a small team to avoid having to grind as much experience.
>>
>>24987047

They're my favourite games. Fixed original GSC's mess.
I don't understand this level curve thing people talk about though. I found it easy from A to Z and I rushed through it so I could RNG abuse all the legendaries
>>
>>24987077
>level curve meme
Its still a valid criticism. As is the "distribution problem" meme.

The changes to the story were (IMO) entirely for the better. Following pokemon can't be beat. The functional use of the dual screen (though visually clunky compared to BW(and B2W2) and XY) is the most useful and intuitive. The use of the dual screens for art hasn't been surpassed (again IMO).

It suffers replayability more than XY and BW and much more than B2W2, particularly if you are doing challenge runs of any sort.

I think you should play it once then let it sit in your memory never to be touched again.
>>
Different newfag to HG/SS here. How the fuck do I get to Pallet town? Also, where the fuck are most the gym leaders, and everyone in Silph Co.? Just kicked Lt Surge's ass with my based Mamoswine.
>>
File: 1433540744080.jpg (19KB, 200x200px) Image search: [Google]
1433540744080.jpg
19KB, 200x200px
>>24989071
>mamoswine

I didn't know someone loved Mamoswine as much as I do
>>
>>24987047
Yes. It's fucking magical. GF really puts in an extra effort when it comes to the remakes.

Also all the remixes are perfect - unlike FRLG which went a little nuts on the soundfonts, HGSS knows when to keep it simple.

But then I love gen 2 so
>>
File: 1449618181475.png (114KB, 368x298px) Image search: [Google]
1449618181475.png
114KB, 368x298px
No. Johto is still the same shit region and Kanto is just walking from town to town with nothing to do but fight the gyms. It's basically only good if you're a nostalgiafag.
>>
>>24989078
Mamoswine looks cool af and its attack is fucking godlike
I still can't get over the fact that both water and fire are super effective to it and not neither
>>
File: ho-oh.jpg (103KB, 825x454px) Image search: [Google]
ho-oh.jpg
103KB, 825x454px
>>24987047
It's my favorite mainline game in the series. It keeps everything from GSC in except the Odd Egg and a few cosmetic things from Crystal, fixes some problems like restoring Kanto locations, and then, after all that, adds even more shit like the Pokéathlon and rematches. Not perfect, the level curve is still bad like earlier mentioned, but it has some of the most content in the series.

It's become a recent trend on /vp/ to hate HGSS as a contrarian stance to ORAS hate, you should know.

I also agree that SacredGold and StormSilver are great hacks.
>>
>>24987583
Playing devil's advocate but it's more than two unless you don't count Kanto.
>Union Cave
>Victory Road
>Diglett Cave (could be wrong but I don't think you can take the Cinnabar route to get to Pewter until later)
>Mt. Silver
>>
It fixes none of the problems from G/S but also doesn't make things worse like ORAS.
>>
>>24989116
Basically, ot to mention Kanto was ripped off of any fun it had in the past
>>
Being able to walk with any poke is enough for me
>>
>>24987057
>>24987068
DS emulator is what is fucking slow, or is it just my toater
>>
>>24989442
I have a toaster, most DS games emulate decently but the Pokémon games are slow as fuck.
>>
>>24989446
Mine is 2007, ffta2 is slow as well
>>
>>24989158
Both OR/AS and HG/SS are excellent games, the latter being better than the former, but only by a margin, but it's not even debatable that the remakes are always better than the originals. And being a contrarian has really been popular lately, as so many people are hating on the new Star Wars movie, that I thought was great and I don't even care for Star Wars that much. Fucking contrarians, ruining everything.
>>
>>24989465
>remakes are always better than the originals

If you only consider RS, then maybe, but Emerald is head-and-shoulders above both.

Episode VII was just okay in my opinion, better than Episode I and II but it was way too much of an Episode IV rehash.
>>
>>24987047
The worst of the remakes, but a pretty okay game if you can stomach gen 4's awful engine.
>>
>>24989141
>not using thick fat mamo
faggggggggg
>>
>>24987047
It still has the problem of too many pokemons not being available for a play through.

It does however have the most important change in the physical/special split. It's definitely worth playing if you like gen II.
>>
>>24989576
>better than Episode I and II
>but not episode iii??

From my point of view the Jedi are evil!
>>
>>24987047
It's my favourite mainline game, though not being able to catch some gen 2 pokemon in Johto is utter bullshit. Also,
>tfw no elemental punches in goldenrod anymore
>>
>>24987047
Don't listen to anyone that says the level curve is a problem.

The leve curve was never a problem for the most part until you reached kanto.

hGSS fixes this completely though. They are the best mainline games to date
>>
>>24990217
Well III certainly wasn't perfect either but it told its own story without completely retreading the original trilogy (not that III didn't have pandering like the Wookie village and other shit). I and II are below VII just because, while they were original, they were also really, really bad though they did lead to one of the best Star Wars games ever, the Podracing game on N64
>>
>>24990207
>thick fat mamoswine
>gen IV
>>
>>24987335
You german?
>>
>>24987155
Why would you need Houndour, don't you have Cyndaquil?
>>
>>24989691
>gen IV
>awful engine
What are you playing this on? A DS lite?
>>
Same problem with the originals that it withholds the gen 2 pokemon, and even then the learnsets are shit imo. Natu not learning psychic OR flying type attacks bothers me.
>>
>>24990244
F
U
G
G

I was gonna give Amphy and Quagsire ice punch but fuuuuuuck
Thread posts: 51
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.