[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Web forums and their effects on people

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 2
Thread images: 2

File: tumblr_n0wbxozMSm1qz9pzzo1_1280.jpg (103KB, 960x960px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_n0wbxozMSm1qz9pzzo1_1280.jpg
103KB, 960x960px
I'm going to define "web forums" broadly as anything that allows you to publicly post content -- images, text, web links, etc -- with the goal that other random people out there will see it. This definition is broad and includes all range of things from Reddit, 4chan, and Tumblr all the way to things like Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram.

We've all noticed that these different web forums attract different kinds of people, but what I'd like to know is: why? Is it the subtle differences in the programming that attracts autists to 4chan and cringey liberals to Reddit? Is it the fact that 4chan and Reddit are already populated with these kinds of people?

It's probably a bit of both, but I've noticed that there is a great deal of animosity between people from different forums. "Take that shit back to Redit" "Facebook plz" etc is common. "This isn't Tumblr." "You aren't on 4chan, you can't talk like that here."

The animosity is so dramatic that it reminds me of nignogs who are getting into beefs about which hood they rep, or Balkan ultranationalists. These web forums all fundamentally do the same thing, but attract very different kinds of people.

Why is that?

(I'm putting this effortpost into /vip/ because I'm hoping the paywall will make the discussion more intelligible without removing us from our own internal 4chan perspective.)
>>
File: whisper.png (428KB, 890x773px) Image search: [Google]
whisper.png
428KB, 890x773px
The greatest threat to any culture is dilution. Opening the floodgates to outsiders is a surefire way to dilute said culture, and as such intermingling is something in all parties' best interests to avoid.
Thread posts: 2
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.