[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why are ellipsis considered Reddit-scum faggotry on 4chan?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 37
Thread images: 4

File: TheEye.png (167KB, 230x556px) Image search: [Google]
TheEye.png
167KB, 230x556px
Why are ellipsis considered Reddit-scum faggotry on 4chan?
>>
>>45482
>>
>>45482
Lurk moar.
>>
>>45482
Using anything other than a period or question mark is looked down upon here. Hell, I remember seeing someone calling a guy a faggot for using a single exclamation mark.
>>
>>45512

And yet this """""""""thing""""""""" its """"""""""""""""""""acceptable"""""""""""""""""""" on many """"""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""boards"""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""".
I wonder why is that so.
>>
>>45512
>>45566
Ellipsis, exclamation marks, using more than one question mark, spacing each sentence out, capitalizing the first letter after the > when non-quote greentexting, using emoticons unironically, having an image that has a filename that isn't the standard UNIX timestamp or custom filename when posting reaction images or old content (esp. if it has an imgur, twitter, KYM, or facebook filename), using the common cliche-phrases-as-seen-on-r/4chan when posting, such as '>be me'when greentexting, 'the absolute madman,' and 'my sides,' simply replying to a post with a reaction image and no comment and/or replying to a post to only note how "hilarious" or notable it was (a form of upvoting), saying 4Chan instead of 4chan, addressing to 4chan as a whole when talking about posters, replying to multiple people individually within the same post, using memes which are obviously normalfag (ex. kys) or have gone mainstream/killed by normalfags unironically, posting images with watermarks of any kind, frogposting, goldfaceposting, YLYLposting, '[board] approved' threads, 'What does [board] think of this' threads, and unironically replying to bait are all signals that the poster is a newfag/redditor/underaged.
>>
>>45571
Now is the time to break the rules. :3c
>>
>>45571
saved
>>
>>45571
me too thanks
>>
>>45571
>unironically replying to bait
I was about to write out an actual reply until I read this. Now, feeling compelled to respond ironically, I am forced to write this instead.
>>
>>45594
It was 50% bait.

OP here.
>>
>>45566
The (((culture))) of 4chan is inconsistent
>>
File: agari explain.jpg (40KB, 590x516px) Image search: [Google]
agari explain.jpg
40KB, 590x516px
Like every other 4chan taboo, it's because other sites use it poorly. Underage kids often throw ellipses in every sentence because it makes them sound like they're brooding. Hell, I know I did the same thing when I was 14.

And in general, it's expected that we use reaction images to express emotions, rather than excessive punctuation/formatting/emoticons. Just part of the whole imageboard thing, which gets taken to an almost religious extreme because of course it does.
>>
>>45667
Are reaction images necessary? I barely ever save any, and use them even more rarely. Nearly all my image posts are images I google on the spot to add to the content of my post, such as a relevant image.
>>
>>45668
Depends on the board I guess. On some places like /a/ they're a way of life.
>>
>>45668
I have a few gigs of reaction images that I never use. They're useful for avatars, though.
>>
No idea lol...
>>
>>45669
Pretty much outside of /a/, /v/, and occasionally /k/ reaction images are rare.
>>
>>45710
You're full of shit and probably have your head up your own ass if you think reaction images are rare or limited to the boards you just listed.
>>
Because they're always misused. You use them to denote you omitting something. If you're not quoting somebody, you're literally expecting other people to guess what you omitted.
Also, the "-" symbol is not the same as the "–" symbol or the "—" symbol. Stop interchanging them.
>>
>>45727
What's the ASCII code for those?
>>
>>45727
>Also, the "-" symbol is not the same as the "–" symbol or the "—" symbol. Stop interchanging them.
Only the first one is actually on a keyboard though so it is entirely reasonable to interchange them
>>
>>45752
No it's fucking not.
>>
>>45833
Did you get upset?
>>
>>45667
>it makes them sound like they're brooding
nottin'…personelle…………kid……………
>>
>>45727
>Also, the "-" symbol is not the same as the "–" symbol or the "—" symbol. Stop interchanging them.
This is autistic Twitter user shit tbqh
>>
>>45892
Yes, obviously.
>>
I type as I would if I were speaking so I use ellipsis as where I might have had a verbal pause.
>>
>>45571
saved
>>
>>45566
If by acceptable you mean that people filter that faggotry, I guess. At least it's not text emotes.
>>
>>46580
acceptable as in people not reporting it and/or not telling that poster to fuck off
>>
>>46582
No one reports things outside /jp/.
>>
>>46582
No one who uses "fuck off" on this site is being serious about it.
>>
>>46586
I do
>>
File: 1478114457532.jpg (7KB, 236x214px) Image search: [Google]
1478114457532.jpg
7KB, 236x214px
>>45710
wtf...
>>
File: HE.png (34KB, 214x342px) Image search: [Google]
HE.png
34KB, 214x342px
>>46590
also yes we are
or anyway i know that telling someone to fuck off from here wont ever work but theres plenty of people i see that i wish would fuck off
>>
>>46635
Then you're dumb turd for having no more creative response to that impulse than posting that phrase.
Thread posts: 37
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.