[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What is your honest opinion on Garfield?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 9

File: 1280px-Garfield_the_Cat.svg.png (145KB, 1280x764px) Image search: [Google]
1280px-Garfield_the_Cat.svg.png
145KB, 1280x764px
What is your honest opinion on Garfield?
>>
>>37910
LASAGNIA
HEHE
>>
>>37910
Comics are funny and I don't remember much about the cartoon but I used to like it. Goes without saying that the movies are shit.
>>
>>37910
>What is your honest opinion on Garfield?

Never funny.
>>
File: 1476217412870.gif (81KB, 900x288px) Image search: [Google]
1476217412870.gif
81KB, 900x288px
>>37910
Jim Davis used to care, now he doesn't. He sold out long ago and I doubt he even writes or draws anything that goes out anymore.

Schultz sold out plenty, but always cared about his creation. Was impressive enough to go on as long as he did.

Watterson never sold out and quit at his apex. Which is why he'll be remembered above the aforementioned.
>>
File: Garfield 2011-01-02.jpg (154KB, 900x605px) Image search: [Google]
Garfield 2011-01-02.jpg
154KB, 900x605px
As a kid in the 90s I used to read my parents' old garfield collections, which I then started expanding. Now I have every strip from inception (1978) up to 2012 in paperback (and to me it's the only way to read it since 2 out of 3 strips are usually not worth the read) plus some additional books and stories from my parents.

The first years it started out weak on the humour but quite iconic. Then it had a long run where it was good on the humour but kept everything very static story- and character-wise. From about 2010 onwards they started progressing on the story again and it really killed Garfield for me. I get that it was way past time to change something and that they probably ran out of jokes and storylines. But I just can't get over how much it changed. Jon has a steady girlfriend. wtf? Completely buried the character, killed everything that was essential to him.

I like Garfield, I still do. The strip had a good run and I will probably go back to reading old books until I die, but I can't really recommend the current strips to anyone.
>>
>>37944
Pretty much this, Garfield was something and was pretty funny, but by the point a few years after Garfield and Friends was finished, it just turned more and more stale until it really was just the same shit over and over again. I know it was pretty much that way since the early mid 80's, but by the late 90's and new millenium, it just got more bland, and after 2 shitty live action movies, it's pretty clear that Davis just doesn't give a shit and that each strip is literally just copied and pasted assets again and again with no real humor or anything to really stand on other than "Lol, it's Garfield!".

Similar thing happened to the Simpsons, but at least with as shitty the new episodes of Simpsons are, you can at least see that some people put a bit of effort and some passion into it (Even if all of it is literally just spent on the couch gag now, while the episode is literally "Let's just do something topical now that will age this episode like milk in about 3 years, or just parody a movie/tv show, surely just the fact that it's the simpsons is enough to make it great"), Garfield on the other hand just feels empty now, like there might as well just be some cold AI doing everything now, speaking of which...

http://joshmillard.com/garkov/
>>
you're eating us out of house and home, garmfield
>>
>>37961
I eat, Jon.

It's what I do.
>>
I ate all teh food
>>
File: Screenshot_2016-10-19-19-46-44.png (263KB, 1080x1920px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_2016-10-19-19-46-44.png
263KB, 1080x1920px
>>37961
Woah he green texted without the meme arrow
>>
>>37910
FUCK THAT COCK SUCKING DOUCHEBAG
>>
>>38034
>>
>>37910
not a fan
>>
>>37910
I never really got the hate. It's an inoffensive newspaper comic strip.
>>
>>38112
It's like any other really ultra-popular thing that people hate. It's a stand-in. It's a representation of mediocre and creatively bankrupt art. It's not necessarily terrible, but just so mediocre that's depressing. Somehow worse than terrible art because it feels at least with a lot of things that are really bad the creator still tried. They might not have had the technical skills or inspiration, but it's still a person trying to make art because they want to make art and show it to people. It didn't have to be Garfield; almost all comic strips of this nature will do for this, but Garfield, for whatever reason lends itself to funny parody so it's fun to make fun of it.
>>
File: garf.gif (41KB, 700x486px) Image search: [Google]
garf.gif
41KB, 700x486px
>>37910
Kind of a douche.
>>
File: garfield eyes.jpg (273KB, 590x920px) Image search: [Google]
garfield eyes.jpg
273KB, 590x920px
>>38180
but we have our own meme of garfield being a douche...
>>
fuckin love that asshole
>>
File: air.112589512352.garfield.jpg (39KB, 600x179px) Image search: [Google]
air.112589512352.garfield.jpg
39KB, 600x179px
>>38228
Who's we? We're all anonymous here.
>>
He's ok
>>
I remember picking up the first comic strip collection of garfield, the one from 1978, back in first grade and thought garfield was the greatest thing I've ever read. Immediately after, I found calvin and hobbes and peanuts.
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RLADnlItLjI
>Low budget cartoons in general
>>
>>37912
DUDE LASAGNA LMAO
>>
File: realfield.png (681KB, 900x636px) Image search: [Google]
realfield.png
681KB, 900x636px
>>
>>37910
I used to like Garfield a lot as a kid in elementary and middle school.
>>
>>40151
How do you get those regular pound signs without a tripcode?
>>
I hate mondays
Thread posts: 28
Thread images: 9

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.