[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What did you think of Undertale? was it a good game?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 3

File: Flowey_boss.png (413KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
Flowey_boss.png
413KB, 640x480px
What did you think of Undertale?
was it a good game?
>>
Yes it was a good game, but the cancer fanbase absolutely ruined it
>>
Unironically one of my favorites from 2015, mainly because I played it on release day before the retarded fan hype had sunk in and how it surpassed all expectations.
>>
>>37516
It's a fantastic game, unfortunately there are lots of people that are too mentally deficient to appreciate something if other people they don't like love it before they do.
>>
I have not engaged in any way with the fanbase whatsoever, and I've only done a pacifist run.
I thought it was a really lovely game, the gameplay was good and the story and characters were charming.
It was pretty fun too.
>>
I actively avoid all games with indie aesthetics. It might be a good game but I'll never know.
>>
>>37572
You'll miss out on legitimately good games like Hotline Miami and Undertale though.
I would at least pirate both games and give them a try, the gameplay is quite good.
>>
>>37572
>indie aesthetics

Undertale doesn't have "buzzword buzzword" dude. It has an art style that isn't "OMG HYPERREALISTIC". Or do you think every game before 1990 has "indie aesthetics"?
>>
File: Selection_785.png (432KB, 1365x727px) Image search: [Google]
Selection_785.png
432KB, 1365x727px
>>37516
Never played it.

Should I?
>>
File: 1436200852205.png (229KB, 628x708px) Image search: [Google]
1436200852205.png
229KB, 628x708px
>>37573
I'm probably just being a hypocritical faggot again, but Hotline Miami didn't really feel like an indie game to me. Same goes for Torchlight and Bastion.
>>
It's a really good game. The less you know about it, the better. I'm glad I went in blind.
>>
>>37582
>Hotline Miami didn't really feel like an indie game to me
Hotline Miami is still an indie game, the art-style is pretty ugly since it's pixelated, but the gameplay is superb.
Games that are actually good don't suddenly stop becoming indies.
>>37581
Yes, definitely.
>>
Fantastic game, I remember it being my favorite that year.
>>
>>37572
>>37582
"Indie" is not a genre or aesthetic, it's literally just a word that means it was independently developed by a small studio.
>>
we need more games like undertale regardless of the shitty fanbases they might spawn
>>
>>37647
this, witcher is technically indie
>>
>>37663
damn I never thought of it like that, good for those pols
>>
I played it when it came out, I liked it thought it was neat little game, replayed it to get all the endings
played it again for the first time since last year, and it was kind of boring to play
it's only about 5-6 hours so I powered through but it's just not that fun knowing how all of the enemy encounters go and all the dialogue.
everytime I finished an area I thought to myself 'finally now to the good part' and then I would get to the new area and be disappointed and thing ' oh yea this part, I'll just run through quickly to get to the good part'

i recommend playing it at least once
>>
I played it due to everyone saying I would love it because I love JRPGs and bullet hells. In reality, Undertale was neither of those things and was objectively more of a walking simulator. It was a clever game and the music is 10/10, but as something that's fun to play, I'd have to give it a 5/10
>>
>>37667
yeah its really impressive that a small team made it
>>
never played it, seen plenty of people play it on streams and youtube.

the actual gameplay is terrible. it's a shitty bullet-hell. the rest is running around and talking to people.the game mechanics don't seem enjoyable.

the story and characters are done quite well though. it knows how to tug on heartstrings, to create lovable characters, to get a laugh out of a certain kind of player. the writing is the high-point of the game, no doubt about it.
that said, there are some pretty cringy moments. whenever that awful robot would start another show segment i felt the urge to smash my face into the desk. the scientist was so obviously a stand-in for the target demographic (if not the game's creator - no clue about him) that it physically hurt.
the game has a message and i approve of it. i don't really enjoyed how obvious they made it in the end though, beating you over the head with it. i think the game would have benefitted from not ranking endings from worst to best but simply letting each ending stand on its own.

the art style is consistent and effective if pretty lackluster. sound design and music are pretty good.

i felt mostly positive about the game until the ending rolled around. when the flower started to transform into this huge ugly moster the game completely and utterly lost me. up until that point i thought "maybe i could buy it, there are a lot of redeeming features here". when i saw the end fight start for the first time i was so glad i didn't buy this. i would have been mad beyond comprehension. the whole game just turned to shit. it wasn't this calm and charming RPG. it was just shitty combat and madness with no purpose, breaking immersion, breaking the art style, etc.

there are some very clever and charming aspects to this game and i'd like to see a lot of elements picked up by more games. but undertale in itself i don't like. i think you'd have to share certain attributes to see the appeal (console gaming, certain childish humour, etc).
>>
>>37687
The whole "killing things in games is normal for players, but is kind of fucked up in-universe" moral is a little neat, but that effectively punishes players for wanting to play a video game. In fact, I seriously think it's pathetic that so many of the people who like Undertale really needed a video game about hugging frogs and Tsunderplanes to tell them that killing is bad and wrong and something you should never do. Literally the only good battles are the 2 "real" ones you get in the Genocide run and they're not at all worth the tedious grind
>>
>>37688
i agree. that's what i mean with the endings should have been left standing on their own. the game should have shown "actions have consequences" and then shut up. it doesn't need to moralize "killing is bad".

the gameplay related meta-commentary was enough by far. saving and reloading, restarting a crashed game and expecting it to be the same, etc - there's enough interesting stuff to comment on. it shouldn't feel the need to meta-comment on in-universe decisions. let's not forget that most things attack you - the decision to defend your life should not be invalidated to such an extreme degree.

but if you're looking for a game that does the moral system much better: every few years i pull out Iji by Daniel Remar and every time i'm again blown away how differently berserk and peaceful runs feel (even though there is more specific content for peaceful gameplay since he eventually stopped adding content).
>>
I played it and it was great. Appealed to me as an adult who grew up playing JRPGs in the SNES era. Loved all the throwback references. Great humour and characters.

It was also one of the only games I've played that managed to pull off "fourth wall breaking" in a way that wasn't tacky, in particular the Stuff about "Determination" and the Flowey monologue in the Genocide ending.
>>
>>37663

You could make the argument for Witcher 1, but not Witcher 3, the studio has grown so explosively it no longer qualifies as "small".
>>
>>37690
>the decision to defend your life should not be invalidated to such an extreme degree.
My first run I accidentally killed a few characters (Toriel... I was just trying to give her a trashing so she'd let me pass...), but I didn't feel invalidated at all. I got a fitting ending with me being an egotistical jerk and leaving the underworld. Which is exactly what I set out to do from the start.

I was especially taken by Sans' scene near the end, when he emerges from the shadows and judges you. From what little I had heard, I expected to get a harsh judgement, but he came across as very understanding, and gave a speech about integrity and told me whatever I do is up to me.
The lesson I took out of it is that if there's judgement to be had, I have to judge myself. And all I did was kill a few roadblocks. As sad as it is, they were standing in my way and had it coming.
>>
>>37516
haven't played it yet, but I did play Earthbound instead( ffucking hard), I'll buy it at some point and play it when I have time.
Thread posts: 27
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.