[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What went wrong?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 45
Thread images: 10

File: jontron did nothing wrong.jpg (97KB, 768x431px) Image search: [Google]
jontron did nothing wrong.jpg
97KB, 768x431px
What went wrong?
>>
Too much nostalgia bait and not enough actually trying to further the genre.
>>
>>50878
a game that exists for the sole reason of pandering to nostalgia
>>
>>51006
Sounds about right.
>>
>>50878
HE
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9mSzJj1c1z0
>>
File: pepetrump.jpg (277KB, 1000x554px) Image search: [Google]
pepetrump.jpg
277KB, 1000x554px
>>51006
FPBP
they're banking on nostalgia bucks, which is honestly TOO FUCKING LATE at this point since we're all in our late 20's now when we played this as kids. they should have made something that pushes the genre.

also,
WALL.
>>
>>50878
polerina special snowflakes got triggered like always and want to torpedo the game
>>
Too little game, too much SJW political commentary.
>>
File: sre5ohi8ag3y.jpg (514KB, 992x1284px) Image search: [Google]
sre5ohi8ag3y.jpg
514KB, 992x1284px
>>51006
This
The second I saw pic related I knew it'll be the same thing but emptier looking at the demos.
>>
>>51229
>they're banking on nostalgia bucks, which is honestly TOO FUCKING LATE at this point since we're all in our late 20's now when we played this as kids
that's the perfect time to make nostalgia bucks though
>>
>>51006
There's nowhere for the genre to go. The purpose of collectathon platformers were to make the most out of limited hardware.
>>
>>51159
lol wtf? this looks like some autistic sfm garbage, and sounds like it too
>>
Retarded Americans making something out of nothing
>>
>>50878
Nostalgiabait
Removing openly racist youtube e-celeb caused massive butthurt among the kiddies who worship him
More shitposting from both sides of the fence
>>
About Jontron...
Where did everything go so RIGHT?
>>
>>51362
no it isn't. nostalgia hits you hard when you're in late teen's/early 20's.

after that it really doesn't hit that hard anymore and you eventually move on.
>>
When is the Switch release date going to be revealed? They have to at least reveal it on the game's normal release date right?
>>
>>51377
Lol no.
Collectathons eventually evolved into open world games.
Skyrim is the natural evolution of banjo tooie.
>>
>>51377
None of the games even seem to want to base the difficulty on the platforming. Like a lot of what I've seen of Y-L is walking around flat areas collecting things. Maybe not even innovating but just perfecting what the genre is about and by that I mean actually having challenging platforming and collectables that aren't lying in jumbles on flat ground.
>>
>>51642
Too many people pulled funding, switch version delayed until further notice :^)
>>
>>51717
Open world games have existed since the eighties.
>>
>>51006

Okay then. How do you further the genre? Especially when the genre is dead? Do you think before you post, retard? The New Mario game coming out isn't changing much. Its same Mario.
>>
>>51823
Cmon dude, don't go maple leaf on me.
>>
File: 1480173276324.png (92KB, 499x499px) Image search: [Google]
1480173276324.png
92KB, 499x499px
>>51006

I can forgive it for this since it was made on a slim budget. You kids see 3 4 5 6 7 8 million earned for a game without realizing that it actually requires $20million and up to make a modern game. If you spend a small budget, then you get a small budget game.

I'm surprised it is as big as this with the budget it has. Once the backlash subsides and the game is left to thrive or die on its own, you'll see that it isn't that bad of an experience. It delivers on what it promised, and there is no other game like it in the foreseeable future.
>>
>>51934
>and there is no other game like it in the foreseeable future.
A Hat in Time is going to be better and that's also supposedly coming out this year.
>>
File: 43242980423.jpg (13KB, 235x191px) Image search: [Google]
43242980423.jpg
13KB, 235x191px
A team of idea guys at Rare jumped ship to make a game that panders to nostalgia tards without knowing what made Banjo Kazooie good
It wasn't the fucking annoying sound effect talking and midi music, it was being a platformer with tight level design and YL has none of that shit
>>
>>51159
I don't get why people hate this. It's just as dumb as the DK Rap was, that's the point.
>>
File: 1372436382375.png (112KB, 220x321px) Image search: [Google]
1372436382375.png
112KB, 220x321px
>>51717
>Skyrim is the natural evolution of banjo tooie.
>>
>>52060
Key word:
Supposedly
>>51890
Obviously I'm referencing to modern open world games like far cry.
Same collecting bullshit but it's swords, armour or guns.
Same varied open worlds only without clearly defined levels.
same basic storylines
i could go on. only difference is that they rarely have platforming anymore
>>
>>51903
Look at DKCR for how you can bring an old series back while still making something new and fresh.
>>
File: Snake-Pass---Fire-Screenshot-2.jpg (247KB, 1500x844px) Image search: [Google]
Snake-Pass---Fire-Screenshot-2.jpg
247KB, 1500x844px
>>51903
Honestly I think stuff like Snake Pass is how you "further" the 3D platforming genre. It keeps the core tenets of exploring a colorful cartoon world and navigating up and around the environment to find collectables, but the way you control the character is totally different. Not every new 3D platformer has to blow the lid off the genre and do something totally new, but it's still nice to see that happen.
>>
>>52060
>A Hat in Time is going to be better

Seen about ten minutes of gameplay and I dunno. Yooka laylee has better gameplay, but A Hat in Time does have the better environments and designs, it just seems more floaty and meandering overall.

I haven't played either so I'll wait for release.
>>
>>52615

What was new and fresh in DKCR?

Its my favorite Wii game easily. I 100%'d it, but it certainly felt like a very solid 2D Platformer with spectacular level design. I don't quite frankly know what you mean that it furthered the genre. Difficulty?
>>
>>52852

I'll admit. I would love that. Its just kinda irritating to be hopeful that its possible with all entries of a genre to be wholly original. Especially when the intention is to test the waters with vintage game design not seen for a very long time. Now, is it sad YL isn't experimenting? Maybe? But it never promised that and its just kinda frustrating to see people hate what it never promised.
>>
>>52221
10-20 seconds is funny. Feature length is just retarded
>>
>it's still never coming out
>>
>>52874
The game itself was fresh, you don't have to reinvent the entire genre with a new game. You had mechanics and music and other callbacks to the earlier games, but the entire product stands on its own. YL exists only as nostalgia bait.
>>
>>53253
THIS YEAR
>>
>ALL THE LEAFS ARE SJW SUPPORTING THIS FURFAG GAME
I KNEW IT!
>>
>>53828
not me
>>
>>51642
Games currently out on other consoles with a "TBA" Switch release date:
>Cave Story
>Dragon Ball Xenoverse 2
>Dragon Quest Heroes
>Dragon Quest X
>Jackbox Party Pack
>Lego Worlds
>Minecraft
>Overcooked
>Rayman Legends
>Stardew Valley
>Terraria
>Skyrim
>>
>>53881
ok you are safe from the rake
>>
File: AHITAlpineSkyline.webm (2MB, 400x225px) Image search: [Google]
AHITAlpineSkyline.webm
2MB, 400x225px
>>53253
>>
>>54809
As someone who backed YL and is still somewhat excited to play it, the gameplay in this short clip looks way more fun than anything they've shown in any YL trailer
>>
File: THE OLD ARMY GAME.png (452KB, 720x548px) Image search: [Google]
THE OLD ARMY GAME.png
452KB, 720x548px
>double jump
>stamina meter for the rolling move despite having huge levels
>extremely shitty and boring """combat"""
>terrible rap that was animated in an afternoon
>licking the boots of shovel knight, king of indie games
>having any ecelebs in the game to begin with
Thread posts: 45
Thread images: 10

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.