[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Dota 2

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 427
Thread images: 67

File: nvi7WJf4_400x400.jpg (16KB, 390x390px) Image search: [Google]
nvi7WJf4_400x400.jpg
16KB, 390x390px
It's a really deep game, great replay value, completely free.

Why does /v/ hate it with so much passion?
>>
>>12606
because anything thats popular equals bad.
also most of the people who hate it never even played it or went past 15hs
>>
>>12606
because theres no sejuani clone
>>
>>12606
Because it's really fucking hard to get into. I love it, but it took me several hundred hours to even somewhat "get" Dota.
>>
File: IMG_0478.gif (826KB, 480x247px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0478.gif
826KB, 480x247px
Last hitting minions is the worst gameplay mechanic ever invented
>>
>>12609
Okay that makes sense, the learning curve is pretty crushing.
>>
Because there's not enough lore.
>>
The community is toxic and the game is difficult to get into. That being said, 2k hrs in and I really wish I could find a more reliably enjoyable game
>>
Because they are not good at it
Everyone who played dota 1 is into dota 2.
>>
jungle isn't a dedicated role like it is in league. literally the only thing stopping me.
>>
>>12615
>roles and lanes should be dedicated
get out
>>
>>12614
2k hours into Dota 2.
I hate it.
>>
>>12615
>jungle shitters are not playing
fucking great.
>>
it takes too much effort to keep playing imo. you need to read about changes and feel them to know what's good and what isn't, as well as watching streams or competitive games every once in a while. way too high upkeep imo. also the matches take too long, if you have like 2 hours to game a day or something, you can barely squeeze one game in

i played it for more than 5k hours (not counting time spent on twitch, other accounts etc) but it's way too much of a burden. at this point i only keep going back out of habit/addiction
>>
Despite having 1.5k+ hours on it, it causes me physical and emotional pain to play it. I genuinely doubt that anyone who has more than 500 hours can say that they enjoy it.
>>
File: onqmzzYVaQ1r42s8uo1_1280.png (1008KB, 1280x1280px) Image search: [Google]
onqmzzYVaQ1r42s8uo1_1280.png
1008KB, 1280x1280px
>>12619
the matches lasting too long is actually why i quit, i still watch tournaments from time to time, and read patch notes to kind of have a grasp on stuff when i watch the streams, but that's about as much as i want to commit to the game
>>
>>12620
>1.5k
fuck off newbie.
>>
>>12617
I do too, but then I play a game with friends that is well-fought and we win, then I can't bring myself to quit
>>
>>12615
>He wants to PvE for the first 10 minutes while his retard teammates fuck things up

Play a roamer and go around making other people have a bad time. Why the FUCK would right clicking creeps be a dedicated fucking role?
>>
>>12606
Literally a buzzword. Someone started calling it 'assfaggots' and now everyone on /v/ hates mobas.
>>
Who /5kmmr/ here?
>>
>>12624
Well desu if your team picks a hard carry like spectre I pretty much expect them to be doing exactly that while the rest of the team roams and shit
>>
>>12606

because /v/ is casual.
>>
¿jajaj compres los wardas idiota? FK GRINOS, XDDDD REPORTA
>>
>>12606
Russians
>>
>>12629
repor supor caca no wars, taco :v
>>
>>12607
i hate it and i had 5k hours before i dropped it 2 years ago

but to be frank, the game itself is great, its the players and valve that killed it for me
>>
>>12632
thats my problem with it. if valve cared it would be one of the best games.
Sadly valve are fucking jews who pander to reddit tards. Reborn was a mistake 7.00 was a SUPER mistake.
>>
>>12631
CTM GRINGO NO WAR FKKKKKKKKK xD ;v jaja
>>
>>12606
Moba community
>>
>>12633
t. 2k mmr
>>
File: 1485556171557.jpg (18KB, 372x372px) Image search: [Google]
1485556171557.jpg
18KB, 372x372px
oтвaли, мyдaк, бля!
мид op фид))))))))))))))
caппopт???????
>>
One or two good waifus. Ugly graphics. Cyka blyats. Character's have no personality. Boring lore. Dotafags are easily triggered and really annoying on /v/ and /vg/. No Skeleton King
>>
File: TECHIES.jpg (28KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
TECHIES.jpg
28KB, 480x360px
Just strolling by.
>>
>>12636
t. 3k mmr
>>
Community is full of trash that can't speak English and icefrog doesn't work on the game anymore
>>
Because over half of the games or just not funny to play.

Game is only fun if you win or/and play a carry role.
So if you support the game will not be that fun, if you lose it will not be fun. Only way to have fun is to win and play a carry, which is a minority of the games you will play.
>>
>>12615
that's the whole point of dota

you don't HAVE to do anything.

jungle if you want to
lane if you want to
roam if you want to
or just skip it all and lvl 1 rosh into lvl 3 deathpush

"anything can work"
>>
>>12607
>Dota 2
>Popular

Game's fucking dead.
>>
>>12644
True, I couldn't find anything but all pick last time I played it. The game has lost all the charm it used to have. The real question isn't why don't you play dota 2, it's why are you STILL playing dota 2
>>
>>12641
>and icefrog doesn't work on the game anymore
What? Since when?
>>
>can't play the game anymore
>instead of 10k+ hours have my shitty 6k hours
>all I have left is fapping to fem-Meepo
I want to play the game again and I also want the game to return to its 2012-2013 state
>>
Thank god I've stopped playing this shit 2 years ago. The game itself is fun as fuck but the community is crap and it's not fun waiting 1h to lose a match that you know you will lose in the first 5 mins.

It's also not fun when the enemy can finish the game by 25~30 mins but keeps farming untill 40+ minutes 'just to be sure they can't lose' or wait almost 10 minutes for the roshan to respawn when they don't even need the aegis.
>>
File: 1332445229294.gif (919KB, 170x196px) Image search: [Google]
1332445229294.gif
919KB, 170x196px
>>12606
>rubber band game
>deep

holy shit, reminder that everyone praising this game is a 3rd worlder. Dota is DEAD in 1st world country and long burred in the west, if you talk about dota with some one there is a massive chance he is a peruvian or mexican
>>
I enjoy Dota 2
I'm not Russian and I play for the team Instead follow the k/d score.
I-is that bad?
>>
>>12646
rubber band patch
>>
>>12648
Good news!

The way the comeback gold system works now is that the longer the enemy fuck about instead of winning, if you manage to kill one of them, you gain a lot of gold and experience, enough to turn the game around.

Who are your favourite comeback heroes? NP has gotta be mine.
>>
>>12610
T. Hots player
>>
>>12630
>t. Hillary
>>
>>12653
Hots is growing while dota2 is shrinking

Sorry valvecuck
>>
Because the first 300 hours of the game is learning, and your average /v/irgin doesn't have that kind of brain function required to put forth that kind of effort

To be honest, the game is most fun when you're dogshit at it. Starting Dota back in 2012 was some of the most fun i've ever had with a game.
When you become decent and then have to team up with people that are worse than you is when it gets frustrating
>>
I play solo and it was a nightmare.

I don't care I wasted 60+ hours on Dota 2, because now I can watch Dota 2 much easier.
>>
File: keyart_visage.jpg (3MB, 2951x1200px) Image search: [Google]
keyart_visage.jpg
3MB, 2951x1200px
A lot of the time the reasons i see boil down to things that have easy workarounds or can be ignored.

>The players all suck/are all foreign
get your own team together of people who don't

>Farming is monotonous
Then group up and fight

>Games take too long/can't concede
Strap in and man the fuck up. You almost always can come back if you play your cards right

>Too steep learning curve
Git gud

Also post Favorite hero.
>>
>>12606
/v/ doesn't, there are pretty common dota threads here with just a few of the same memeing shitposters.

LoL is the game /v/ universally tends to hate
>>
>>12653
Last hitting minions is boring I think most people would agree that they don't play/watch Dota because last hitting minions is so fun.
>>
It's not Half Life 3 and lacks any sort of 'valve' identity.
>>
File: 1414089602698.jpg (16KB, 250x300px) Image search: [Google]
1414089602698.jpg
16KB, 250x300px
>>12615
Why the fuck would you want this?
In what way is that stopping you?
>>
>>12659
hello steam support shill
>>
>>12655
>no source
>>
>>12650
you're one of the good ones
>>
File: dead.png (14KB, 733x163px) Image search: [Google]
dead.png
14KB, 733x163px
>>12664
Not that anon but yes, Dota is losing more and more players each day.
>>
Absolutely low chances of having fun without friends and even then, you probably will be out of luck
>>
It's so deep and dependent on team play that I don't like playing with friends since they're not that great and I don't want to sperg on people for not dedicating themselves to a fucking videogame. I don't like playing with strangers either as everyone is devoid of personality since when things go south they regret making a connection and/or they are afraid of being stuck in low priority even if they feel like they are being helpful. It's a good game but on a regular player's level it is quite shit. Your grand reward for climbing the ladder to 9k is really long queue times and really stupid skill disparity.
>>
>>12666
That's only half of the equation.
Are there HotS stats anywhere?
>>
HotS's art direction looks like shit.

Awful character design.
>>
File: Capture.png (45KB, 725x328px) Image search: [Google]
Capture.png
45KB, 725x328px
>>12666
I don't know, looks like it's doing OK to me
>>
>>12670
>HotS's art direction
That's the only good thing about the game, the art direction is top tier but everything else is shit

>>12671
>graph showing 4days
really? Are you even trying?
>>
>>12655
Meanwhile, Dota still has infinitely more players than HotS
>>
it felt like dota/hon/lol was more fun when you were exploring the games and gaining an understanding of all the different heroes and items

playing dota 2 right now can be pretty fun but it feels like treading old ground

I wish valve made a dota 3 with a bunch of new heroes and systems and shit
>>
File: 1458318712895.gif (965KB, 300x297px) Image search: [Google]
1458318712895.gif
965KB, 300x297px
>>12606
>hadn't played since beta. no idea how many years ago
>started up again a few days again but with cheats
>pretty fun so far desu
>>
File: 1488022935358.jpg (18KB, 250x250px) Image search: [Google]
1488022935358.jpg
18KB, 250x250px
>>12672
>graph showing 4days

Am I getting trolled
>>
>>12655
You wanna hear a joke?
Hots 2.0
Still better than 7.00 btw
>>
>>12660
>I think most people would agree that they don't play/watch Dota because last hitting minions is so fun.
Just because it's not the core mechanic of the game that people point out enjoying the game for doesn't mean they hate it.

I personally think it's satisfying, but that's just me. Even if you're not in love with the act of last hitting/denying itself, what it does for zoning and resource denial is core to the game and it's not something its players want to see gone.

Your shitty opinions aren't facts, anon
>>
>>12660
Oh yes but you know LOL has the last hit too and has millions of players so no, that's not the problem sherlock
>>
File: 08-patrick-freeform-jazz.png (276KB, 620x500px) Image search: [Google]
08-patrick-freeform-jazz.png
276KB, 620x500px
>>12606
>really deep game
Depth through obscurity and choice
> great replay value
Again,by depth through choice
>completely free
Just to fit valve's business model

Dota is an inheretly flawed game and genre since it's inception.
http://www.learntocounter.com/why-dota-sucks-introduction/
>>
>>12672
>graph showing 4days
That's Blizzcucks for you
>>
>>12680
>learntocounter
shitty insomnia clone, avoid at all costs
>>
>>12606
Because multiplayer games are as good as their playerbase.
>>
peruvians and russians
>>
>>12606
LoL is more popular and normies play it. It's socially acceptable to play and it's easier to get into. It also has more/better waifus, it's sjwism that's cropped up lately is killing that though.

Dota mainly just has Russians and BRs. It's gross.
>>
File: 1280985046548.jpg (163KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
1280985046548.jpg
163KB, 640x480px
>>12680
>>really deep game
>Depth through obscurity and choice
>> great replay value
>Again,by depth through choice

Is this not how depth and replay value works for everything? By having more content to interact in different ways making for a higher quantity of significant unique gamestates? By having a lot of choices in playstyles and characters so you can play it longer before you're forced to repeat anything? Are you retarded?
>>
File: Skullface.jpg (24KB, 402x448px) Image search: [Google]
Skullface.jpg
24KB, 402x448px
>>12673
>free to play game has more people playing it in the worlds poorest countrys

fun fact, dota2 has as many players in the northwest as hots. Whites dont play this game
>>
>>12606
I like the game but the community is the worst I've ever seen.
>>
>>12606
Holy shit the animations/UI on this game are so ugly. It looks like a cashgrab Unity game compared to lol.
>>
>>12680
>http://www.learntocounter.com/why-i-dont-like-dota-introduction/
yawn
>>
>>12680
>obscurity
like what

>choice
>doesn't count as depth!

Also why doesn't choice count as a great thing for replay value, over 100 heroes, a bunch of items, toss in talents and any other variable like a Rubick or synergies then you can see anything happen.

>just to fit

You mean the best F2P business model in the industry? What's wrong with this?
>>
File: 1271900590316.jpg (190KB, 510x427px) Image search: [Google]
1271900590316.jpg
190KB, 510x427px
>>12687
>no source
>>
>>12655
>Playing Blizzard games

Enjoy your bi-yearly patches, which will inevitably introduce new paid content.
>>
>>12680
http://www.learntocounter.com/the-order-1886/

On the exact same website.
>>
>>12672
Actually 365 that. Retard
>>
>>12672
>HotS art direction
>Good
If your idea of a good looking video game is something that looks like you're playing with a bunch of chunky little tykes figures with zero-impact spell effects, I guess it might look good
>>
>>12692
Google, you don't provide sources for things that are considered general knowledge. If you're so ignorant of finding simple information its your own issue.
>>
>>12680
so this is some sort of blog website disguised to look legitimate right

>1 guy
>Proudly powered by WordPress
>>
It's a moba and the genre of moba is inherently a bad game.
>>
>>12699
that thinking is flawed because Awesomenauts is a 'MOBA' and it's a good game.

Also 'MOBA' as a label is flawed because it counts things like CS:GO as a 'MOBA'
>>
>>12697
That's not how this works, you don't just blindly make claims and tell people to google it for proof. You're full of shit and the fact that you can't post any stats to back yourself up proves it.
>>
>>12700
Yea and the definition of RPG includes literally every video game in existence.

People still know what you mean when you say moba, or assfaggots or whatever you want to call it.

I've never actually played awesomenauts so I can't say as to whether or not it's a moba.
>>
File: general bob saget oliver.png (647KB, 500x620px) Image search: [Google]
general bob saget oliver.png
647KB, 500x620px
I used to love Dota until the Peru-chimps ruined it.
>>
>>12606
Modern valve is so shit they basically killed all of their games due to jewery
Also last time I checked techies got a completely unnecessary nerf and the interface was changed to look like LoL
Glad I don't bother with MOBAs anymore, the entire genre is designed to make shitterd addicted to a game they don't even have fun playing
>>
1. they think it killed rts
2. retards think it's comparable to an rts but dumbed down
3. the community is cancer
>>
>>12679
Yeah, I've played both. Last hitting is boring.
>>
>>12702
> RPG includes literally every video game in existence.

You can't Roleplay in Tetris or Pong retard or puzzle games. Stop being retarded. Even then the classfication of RPG becomes more specific when you add things like ARPG which is a single unit you control instead of a party and MMORPG for online interaction and JRPG for Japanese RPGs.

>I've never played Awesomenauts

you're a faggot who has no idea about anything then
>>
>>12655
>this is what blizzdrones actually believe
>>
>>12678
>something its players want to see gone.
Where did I say I want it gone? Keep your shitty opinions to yourself, fag.
>>
I'm sick of putting increasingly more effort into preventing some random 3rd world shitter having a meltdown because early game wasn't a stomp for our team.

Sick of the shitty hats/china pandering hats/color breaking hats/silhouette breaking hats/etc.

Sick of the twitch faggotry and weak ass "banter". The kind of excuse for smacktalk that is used by the playerbase can be found in any random puddle.

TL;DR: playerbase is faggotry incarnate and valve shit out hats that pander to china or blind people.
>>
File: 1490204691049.jpg (301KB, 671x767px) Image search: [Google]
1490204691049.jpg
301KB, 671x767px
>>12606
It's a shitty game. Took me 1.5k hours to realize it. If game isn't a one sided stomp, it's a 40 farming chore that it's decided by one-two teamfights then it's a battle uphill with a 1/100 chance of a comeback.

The thrill of a comeback isn't that good when you can find a better thrill for much less effort somewhere else(Like Shadowverse or OW, that are both more casual).

Anyway, Dota is an addictition and thousands of faggots are going to try to justify their addiction like any drug addict. This is coming from a guy that bought mousepads, mugs and plushies with dota characters in it(I'm not even counting my Arcanas and stuff that I sold a long time ago). Now I just fap to the girls.
>>
>>12706
then don't play 1 or 2 retard
>>
The reason why Dota 2 lost so many players was the russian mafia money launderers got banned and dealed with it.
>>
>>12707
>You can't Roleplay in Tetris or Pong retard or puzzle games.
In tetris you play the role as the controller of the tetrominos.

In pong you play as the paddle.

>A role-playing game (RPG and sometimes roleplaying game) is a game in which players assume the roles of characters in a fictional setting.

I don't know why you're so upset I've never played awesomenauts. It looks ok I guess I just never played it because I didn't care to.
>>
https://www.reddit.com/r/DotA2/comments/62991t/the_dota_2_workshop_and_its_ecosystem_are_dying/

if anyone's interested in valve being jewish
>reddit
>>
>>12712
I'm not playing either now, cum eater.
>>
>>12711
>Shadowverse or OW,
lol
>>
Want to be sets like the professionals? Come play a D2BINGO.COM right now!
>>
>>12702
>Yea and the definition of RPG includes literally every video game in existence.
No, RPG is a term that refers to tabletop role playing games, which is the original source basis for all the systems used in video role playing games. On top of that, the term actually references the core differentiating factor of the genre's games versus other games. RPG games put more focus on traditional RPG elements and character building than other types of games.

Being multiplayer, online, or a "battle arena" are not at all the core differentiating features of dota-style games. It's the per-match progression, presence of CPU units, and the concept of destroying a pre-constructed base.

It's a shit genre label. Genre labels aren't supposed to be 100% literal, but they should actually describe what's unique or specifically focused on in a type of game. Mobas don't focus on being "multiplayer online battle arenas" any more than literally any other pvp game and it's not what sets them apart from anything else.
>>
The game is amazing. The main problem is the community.
>>
>>12615
what the actual fuck is stopping you from jungling anyway?
>>
File: file.png (435KB, 1563x157px) Image search: [Google]
file.png
435KB, 1563x157px
>>12715
what the fresh hell is this
>>
>>12722
our guy
>>
>>12709
If players didn't like it, which is what you're saying, then they'd prefer the games not have it.
You didn't do so hot in school, did you?
Anyways, the fact that that's the only thing you have in my post to reply to leads me to believe you realized you were wrong anyways.
>>
File: laughing whores.png (252KB, 500x455px) Image search: [Google]
laughing whores.png
252KB, 500x455px
>>12717
>le "game is more simple so it is bad" meme

I love how this is the most common for dota addiction(Muh complexity). Good thing I don't think like this anymore.
>>
File: 1395393624579.jpg (31KB, 300x326px) Image search: [Google]
1395393624579.jpg
31KB, 300x326px
>>12706
I didn't know your personal opinions reflect the views of millions of players
>>
my one online friend plays league so i play league with him. he even played dota1, hon, dota2 forever and finally one day just wanted to play league.either way fuck mobas, they only make me depressed but i can't stop
>>
>>12725
>>12711
ow is better than a moba but it's bogged down by so much moba shit I don't even feel like playing it half the time
>>
>>12724
Not true at all. There's more to the games besides last hitting which is why they, and myself, play/played them. Try not to attempt wit either, you're not quite as smart as you think you are.
>>
The game is filled with people who think they have an understanding of the game, when they don't. Not understanding all aspects of the game is fine, but not when you're vocal and angry about it. There's nothing beneficial in being told

>wow gg 1k team

by a person who doesn't know when to take fights, who doesn't know when to leave an engagement, who doesn't build MKB against a team with evasion. Even worse when that person themselves is a smurf who can't handle playing against people they're supposed to be matched with.

This is NOT limited to Peruvians, Mexicans, Russians. This shitty attitude coupled with their own lack of understanding is very prevalent with Americans and Europeans in their teens and 20s. Games are not fun with these cookie-cutter insults that they picked up by being called that themselves.

Insulting your own team, insulting the enemy team, using "?"; none of it is fun. I don't care if the people on my team aren't good, as long as they're not blaming anyone else for their failures. I'd rather lose with people who want to have fun and get better than win with a bunch of whiny faggots who expect pro-level plays from a random group in a Normal Skill match.

Light-hearted banter with the enemy team is fun. Soulless meme-phrases proving you lack any creative thought is hackneyed. I want fun, not copy-paste.
>>
File: :.jpg (45KB, 650x350px) Image search: [Google]
:.jpg
45KB, 650x350px
>>12606
/ourguy/?
>>
>>12697
>We have to make it harder for immigrants to get here, it shits up everything.
>"Well, sure we can do that instantly. But can you provide any evidence for your claim?"
>JUST GOOGLE IT AND REDPILL YOURSELF MY MAN, IT'S NOT MY JOB TO EDUCATE YOU
>>
File: arteezy-wec-2014-ggnet.jpg (525KB, 788x1036px) Image search: [Google]
arteezy-wec-2014-ggnet.jpg
525KB, 788x1036px
>cant play for months because shit internet
>finally get the chance to play
>autistic retard from 4chan and his friend start fighting with mid player and feed down mid within 10 minutes
>next game pos 1 ordering people around and saying he'll destroy his items and feed if we dont listen
i seriously hope you faggots don't do this
>>
>>12726
They don't. And just because millions of people play these games doesn't mean certain aspects of them aren't boring.
>>
>>12730
you would never survive in low prio
>>
>>12729
Then, if it's not enough of a problem for people to specifically dislike it or want it gone, what the fuck are you complaining about? What is your point?
I've literally never seen anyone say last hitting is boring outside of HotS players on /v/.
>>
>>12730
>Insulting your own team, insulting the enemy team [...], none of it is fun
I see someone never played HoN
>>
>>12717
He made his point, wether those games are bad or good doesn't matter

>>12725
>Good thing I don't think like this anymore.
Same
I used to think like that too, when I used to play dota and I found out HotS has no items and shit like that, I used to think WOW THESE PLEBS HOLY SHIT but nowadays I don't give a fuck, all I want is to have fun
Unfortunately all multiplayer games seem shit nowadays
>>
>>12725
>3k shitstain prefers easy casual games
k
>>
>>12734
>And just because millions of people play these games doesn't mean certain aspects of them aren't boring.
And it doesn't mean certain aspects of them are boring either.
Do you have a point, or are you just spouting opinions for no reason?
>>
what is deep about these games?

they all look basic.
>>
File: 1464736841931.jpg (58KB, 499x499px) Image search: [Google]
1464736841931.jpg
58KB, 499x499px
>>12711
>The thrill of a comeback isn't that good

There's hardly anything more satisfying in vidya than a succesful highground defense that leads to a comeback.
Or winning after getting mega'ed.

>>12720
Very true. MMR games are lottery. Even when I take one for the team and go full support, there's still retards ruining the game. Whereas in a different match you will find people who are very communicative and play like a team. It's bad but there's not many matches where I don't have to mute 2-3 people to properly enjoy it.

Also, those lowerbracket bo1s today were great. I couldn't catch them live so I watched the highlights (which is a lot more convenient as well) and the EG game was intense as fuck.
>>
>>12730
>Insulting your own team, insulting the enemy team, using "?"; none of it is fun.
psychological warfare is fair game if you don't like it mute everyone.
>>
>>12725
it isn't "complexity" that the other games lack, but choice and decision-making. other games just remove choice and decisions player can make in order to make their games easier.
>>
>>12606
>Why does /v/ hate it with so much passion?
Because it's mainly used to incite Dota/Lol shitpost threads so they only associate it with a rivalry that doesn't fucking exist.
>>
>>12741
billions of years of balancing results in a game which doesn't really degenerate into simplistic dominating strategies at high level play, thus causing the illusion of complexity
>>
>>12728
OW has a lot of stuff wrong with it. The awful balance is one of them.

>>12738
>all I want is to have fun
That all that matters, tbqh.

>>12739
>I waste my life playing a game to feel superior to anonymous people in a mongolian basket weaving forum

>>12742
>There's hardly anything more satisfying in vidya
Yeah, I don't deny the thrill of it. It feels good. Such a shame you have to deal with a dozen of shitty games and players to get it
>>
>>12736
One guy made a statement that last hitting boring. Another person accused him of being a HotS player. My statement was in support of the first person, meaning that while many people play these game they aren't necessarily doing it for the last hitting. Last hitting is a means to an end in order to get past lane phase and move onto the mid-game and end-game, where this genre shines.
>>
>>12748
>my statement is I have an opinion
ok
>>
>>12746
>doesn't really degenerate into simplistic dominating strategies at high level play, thus causing the illusion of complexity
>>
>>12644
Im sure you are memeing but it is the most play game on all of steam. if that is dead then you are a god
>>
File: 1186.png (247KB, 700x600px) Image search: [Google]
1186.png
247KB, 700x600px
>>12747
>OW has a lot of stuff wrong with it. The awful balance is one of them.
true

This is the first blizzard game I've played since WC3 so I didn't know how bad they had gotten, only saw shit like wow and hearthstone.
>>
>>12750
what is your purple-haired cartoon woman trying to communicate
>>
File: Keanu.jpg (70KB, 480x651px) Image search: [Google]
Keanu.jpg
70KB, 480x651px
>>12609
Where do I start?
>>
File: ppd.jpg (15KB, 250x375px) Image search: [Google]
ppd.jpg
15KB, 250x375px
reminder that if you dont have 5.5k mmr you shouldn't post ITT
>>
>>12740
I think it's pretty straightforward what my point is you dullard. Are you going to move on or continue to argue over opinions for no reason?
>>
>>12737
honestly, these dota fags have SUCH thin skin.. in hon you would have people flinging shit about mmr/colors and computer load times before the game even fucking loaded up. they wouldn't last a minute in hon.

also, dota 2 players suck at talking shit.. all they says is "lol 2k" or "fuck you taco," in hon people diversified their vocabularies to optimize the shit talking meta
>>
>>12755
Fuck off Peter.
>>
>>12743
It's not psychological warfare, it's them trying to fit in. That's what they see happen, and they emulate it. I'll be against a carry who gets an easy pick off on a support who was out of position, he'll do "?" then get killed doing some stupid shit of his own. Then at the end of the game, he'll ask you to report some of the people on his own team. It's just shifting blame.

That said, it's more rare when you play as a 5 group. You can have some fun all chat banter VS another 5 group, they're usually more receptive to it.
>>
>>12757
>arguing over who is better at insults
now this is autism
>>
>>12749
This whole conversation has been about our opinions on the genre.
>>
>>12760
t. dota player
>>
>>12761
Saying "I think most people would agree" is arguing more than a personal opinion, that suggests you're trying to argue that it's universally boring.
>>
>>12606
>It's a really deep game
It can be complex
>great replay value
I can see why someone would think that, and I don't disagree.
>completely free.
Sure.
Mostly because /v/ is a buch of contrarian little shits. I don't mind the game, but I really fucking hate the community/other players. I'd rather play another game than interact with them.
>>
These games are only fun when you know how to play them but you still havnt played more than a few heroes. Once youve played every hero 20-30 times is when it gets boring.
>>
I reached 4k recently and went back to normal mode to practice, its the first time i've played normal in years and jesus christ no wonder people hate this game, it's pretty shit and a huge waste of time. I don't think you can learn much if you don't play ranked.
>>
File: st.ignucius.jpg (144KB, 1395x1395px) Image search: [Google]
st.ignucius.jpg
144KB, 1395x1395px
>>12606
>completely free.

ummm, no
>>
>>12754
watching dac and playing
>>
>>12767
It is, though. The only monetized elements are 100% cosmetic.
>>
>>12760
>not becoming one with the insult and playing the game where the owner called his co-players niggers and banned their accounts for making him angry
KID UR NOTHING GET GOOD
>>
>>12770
insulting your teammates just tilts them and personally I like to win
>>
>>12766
>it's pretty shit and a huge waste of time. I don't think you can learn much if you don't play ranked.
care to elaborate, anon?
>>
>>12655
>I have no fucking idea how dota player numbers work
They're an anomaly. The game fluctuates all the time but always go back.
>>
>>12763
I didn't mean it as literal, but it wouldn't surprise me if many players didn't care much for it since during my years of playing the genre I've never heard any positive statements attributed towards the lane phase.
>>
File: stallman.jpg (46KB, 630x450px) Image search: [Google]
stallman.jpg
46KB, 630x450px
>>12769
ummm no
>>
>>12752
I find that comic kind of ironic considering there is far more snowball potential in LoL than any other moba.
>>
>>12771
*anonymous has initated a votekick*
>>
I calibrated my MMR back in 2012 or so when MMR was first introduced and got 2.5k, because I was dogshit then.
After almost four or so years of not playing ranked I decided to play ranked, I grinded my way from 2.5k to 4k, and when I hit 4k I lost all desire to play the game.

I wasn't super good, but I did do well enough to climb mmr just fine, having very good winrates with certain heroes. I just sort of lose the desire to play once I reached 4k and haven't played since then.

All the people I know who are 4k or higher say that 4k and up is just more of the same and everyone is still just as bad, only now you have more chances to run into competent players making it harder to carry and climb, and I just got discouraged.
After 3.5k hours I finally quit the game for good. Can't say I regret it, but I also don't miss it.
>>
Cause they've ruined it with 7.0 update.
>>
>>12779
What was so bad about 7.0? I've stopped following the game and only play it with friends a few games a week.
>>
>>12776
How? That doesn't imply anything either way about snowballing, it's about how it balances characters against each other.

LoL isn't snowbally because things get REALLY powerful, it's because everything's really flat and numerical so if the other side gets a small advantage there's not much you can do to keep it from slowly tipping more and more.
>>
>>12780
Shrines.
lmao4bounty
Talents are okay i guess. but as of now they lack unique upgrades.
>>
>>12730
I've had many germans act like this, and they spout their shit over their microphones. Actually most germans act like this in any game i've played recently. Sometimes I like to leave them unmuted to hear the autistic screeching when something goes wrong
>>
>>12782
Yeah, but what's so bad about those features?
>>
>>12782
>not liking bounties
>>
>>12780
well they alienated people that actually enjoyed playing dota and not this shitty knockoff version of actual dota
>>
>>12780
They've completely changed the ui.
>>
>>12780
It kind of fucked the scales on everything. The game feels like -em now, tanky midgame carries dominate and carries in general come online way too fast. The most effective strategy is to pick a beefy team of melee carries, get a few kills, then unstoppably deathball.

Also the map was reworked for no reason, the UI still hides some important info under the alt key, most players seem to disagree with shrines and all the bounty runes, and talents just don't feel like dota.
>>
>>12778
It always seemed to me MMR is a meme created so the game is more addictive
I always read the only way to climb is to grind with heroes that snowball then carry. So basically no teamplay involved
And like you said even if you get to high mmr like 5k you will most likely never become a pro. It's just a huge drain of hours that you could have spent actually have fun
>>
>>12606
Love it
>>
>>12606
because the incentive structure of the game promotes retarded team destroying play
>>
>>12751
700 000 subhumans don't count
>>
>move your game piece around a flat board, farm money, and wait until your turn to do anything because you can't just act whenever you want

It's like the Monopoly of video games i.e. fucking boring

The only "action" is the five seconds of everybody vomiting their priority abilities at once in between long periods of playing chicken with the enemy team
>>
>>12790
porn pls
>>
>>12788
>beefy team of melee carries,
no
>>
>>12606
MOBA are just boring as shit to me. Sloe, and clunky, with a weird degree of separation to controlling your car actor that makes everything so unsatisfying.
>>
>>12793
why do you feel the need to provide your opinion when you obviously have no idea what youre talking about?
>>
>>12781
Well it says the riot way is fun sized yet there are countless builds that are designed to just one shot everyone.
>>
>People talking about how perfectly balanced this game is for years
>literally every hero gets buffed / nerfed multiple times a year

?????????????????
>>
File: uOontjC.png (34KB, 128x128px) Image search: [Google]
uOontjC.png
34KB, 128x128px
>>12789
Yes, MMR is just the carrot they dangle in front of you to keep you hooked.
Either for bragging rights to your friends, online or for some form of personal satisfaction, you're just grinding hours upon hours instead of doing something that could be more fun or productive (and let's not delude ourselves, while dota can be lots of fun grinding MMR is not exactly the most fun way to play the game and can get you many salt inducing games).

I just sort of took the blinds off and realized that I was just being conned into grinding away repetitive games cause if you want to climb you have to pick the very select few strong heroes and play in very specific ways to win.

Though if my firends ask me to I'll play some customs like Overthrow or whatever.
>>
>>12772
I'm saying normal mode is shit but ranked isn't. The last 2 days I played i've had people abandoning within the first 3 mins of the game (where they died) and you can just leave because there's no penalty to it.
No one seems to choose proper roles either, they just tend to pick whatever they want and mess around. So you don't get a sense of what hero is meant to go in which lane and their purpose, etc.
In ranked you're more likely to have a decent draft order of heroes too, instead of someone picking invoker mid straight away.
I just feel like normal will give people the wrong impression because its seems so disorganized and people have less of an incentive to win because they aren't playing for mmr.
>>
dota 2 is bad because of the player base. yurop has russians and the usa has south americans. too many subhumans
>>
>>12799
>People talking about how perfectly balanced
> perfectly balanced
stop making shit up ????
>>
I was losing interest but then they introduce compendiums. It's not even about the skins, although I do like weather effects. Its about the quests, its like a new way of play the game and get out of your comfort zone even though some of them are bugged. Its about seeing those 3 stars, these jews know how to play with our brains.
>>
>>12798
That doesn't really have anything to do with snowballing, and dota tends to have even more of that
>>
>>12800
Fucking thank you. It took me way too long to realize that most online games are total cancer and the best way to get an enjoyable experience from your vidya is by playing single player games only, maybe a co-op game from time to time at most.
>>
>>12800
>if you want to climb you have to pick the very select few strong heroes
you can get to 5k playing just about anything
>>
>>12655
>growing game
HAHAHAHAHAH LMAO
still 100 people in chat o wait yesterday was 112
>>
>>12805
>Get fed in dota
>Walk into all 5 enemies
>Get chain stunned and die
>Enemy team wins while im dead for 2 minutes
>Get fed in league
>Walk into all 5 enemies
>Kill them all in 5 seconds
>Win
LoL is inherently more snowbally than dota because there is almost no comeback potential
>>
>>12706
I find more annoying deny, but hey I'm not a whiny bitch so I'm keep playing and enjoing the rest
>>
>>12806
Playing with friends is fun too. The problem is trying to have fun with strangers. It doesn't work irl that well, why it would work online?
>>
>>12807
Debatable. And it's undeniable that some heroes are greatly favored every patch, just look at play % and win % for each MMR bracket.
>>
>>12809
Yeah, that's exactly my point
I'm not sure if you're just agreeing with me or if you misread me and are trying to argue something
>>
File: 1445816388430.png (214KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
1445816388430.png
214KB, 500x500px
Because it's hard. Same reason why /v/ hates all competitive multiplayer. In single player games, especially the dime a dozen anime jrpgs people here love, there is no challenge that can't be beat by grinding, reading a guide or checking a guide.

In competitive high skill ceiling MP games you actually have to be skilled to win and have fun. And I guess these neets who play all day think they're meant to do well in games simply because they play lot. They just can't deal with playing to actually improve.
>>
File: 1376683555837.jpg (59KB, 504x360px) Image search: [Google]
1376683555837.jpg
59KB, 504x360px
>>12655
LMAO
>>
>>12641
well dota have now region lock
>>
>>12809
>Walk into all 5 enemies
Are you stupid or what?
>>
>>12812
>Debatable
no
>it's undeniable that some heroes are greatly favored every patch
no shit it's easier to win maining the top heroes every patch but you can still win with heroes like cm, nyx, kotl, doom etc
>>
>>12606
Learning curve is steep for the being steep in many regards.
>>
>>12655
>valvecuck
Oh really? y-y-you blizzard fag!
Come on dude
>>
I used to be really into it, clocked 1.3k hours over two years during early beta/early release and suddenly I got burnt out super hard. I can't even finish a game now.
It just feels boring.
>>
>>12818
Depends on your team composition and your itemisation. Some heroes are much harder to win with not just because they are sort of underpowered but because they don't work well with common picks so you're shooting yourself in the foot by picking them.
>>
File: ee.png (410KB, 895x518px) Image search: [Google]
ee.png
410KB, 895x518px
>>12819
what did he mean by this
>>
>too shallow as a strategy game
>too stiff as an action game
>too serious as a party game
i might have played a shitton of dota but to be honest it's a fundamentally bad genre
>>
File: IMG_5323.jpg (460KB, 1064x1199px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_5323.jpg
460KB, 1064x1199px
How does a game that is free have replay value
>>
>>12824
lol
>>
>>12825
how would that have any effect either way?
>>
File: Alright_pinhead_your_time_is_up.jpg (100KB, 512x384px) Image search: [Google]
Alright_pinhead_your_time_is_up.jpg
100KB, 512x384px
>>12825
Where's the source.
>>
>>12828
It's by Chinzureena, I recognize the art style.
Be weary though, all his doujins involve scat.
>>
>>12606
i loved it until they ruined it with 7.00
>>
>>12830
What did 7.00 change that ruined it, anon?
>>
File: hqdefault.jpg (10KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
hqdefault.jpg
10KB, 480x360px
>>12829
Do you really think i'm gonna be intimidated by a little scat.
>>
>>12831

>>12788
>>12787
>>12786
>>12782
>>
>>12832
Alright buddy, just thought I'd let anyone know.
Not everyone is into seeing the hershey highway drop some hot chocolate.
>>
>>12831
>run around fighting with ridiculous talents and healing fountains XD
its fucking trash. thats not what dota used to be.
>>
>>12746
>Illusion of complexity

"You're not having real fun it's fake fun!!!"
>>
>>12836
fun is an emotion and can't be fake because it is the experience itself, complexity is something that can be somewhat measured and can very well be illusory
>>
>>12825
being free and having replay value aren't mutually exclusive retard
>>
>>12837
Fake argument. You have merely made the illusion of an argument.

Incoming sophistry in reply. lol
>>
>>12839
great post you win
>>
>>12814
Theres truth in this post.

Why else would /v/ shit on L4D and spam epic memes for Killing Floor? People in here want comfy games where you can bond and ERP with other boys.
>>
>>12840
Fake submission, faggot.
>>
>>12842
concession accepted
>>
>>12655
>there are more casuals than high level players
Imagine
>>
>>12843
Fake acceptance lol
>>
Dota 2 is too intimidating to learn, and the game isn't visually appealing enough for me to want to put effort into it.
>>
>>12845
go sperg out at the caveman who invented the concept of an illusion, I think you have more beef with him than you do with me
>>
>>12606
It has a crushing learning curve that will make anyone who isn't REALLY into it hate the game + everyone will flame you and call you a fag if you fuck up.

Basically, the game isn't for little bitches.
Little bitches can play LoL.
>>
>>12784
Shrines make the gameplay even more defensive and carry-heavy, and make it impossible for people to actually lose mid or offlane. 4 bounties inflates the economy even further, you can literally get 200 gold just for waddling through your jungle. Talents are extremely poorly though out with most of them being flat stat upgrades unlike HotS/Awesomenauts, so it just power creeps the game even further. Level 25 talents just snap the character in half and add insane power spikes to everyone. Not to mention there are talents that literally just give free gold and XP.

It's all just stuff that compounds on the problems memeback gold already introduced. If you haven't played much Dota, here's a good explanation that mostly sums up my thoughts on that: http://www.liquiddota.com/forum/dota-2-general/507995-league-of-the-ancients-2
>>
>>12847
lol fake
>>
>>12606
i got to 4.1k and i cant even enjoy the game at that level, people are hardcore

i just play nonranked now
>>
>>12849
bounty runes at least give position 5 and 4 some gold while they wander around warding and ganking
>>
>>12852
It's true, but they also give carries the same thing. Sadly, introducing more gold into the economy at all means supports usually suffer in the long run because it's as likely to make the enemy Slark/PA/MK/LC two-shot you as it is to get you your force staff quicker. Not to mention comeback gold is scaled based on how much gold exists in the game, not just percentages, so adding more gold = teamfights give out more gold = you're fucking dead if a melee carry lightly taps you on the shoulder. With the popularity of diffusal blade, even getting ghost/Eul's is iffy.
>>
Dotard 2 is a nigger game.
That applies to everyone, Peruvian, Asian, Russian, American or European. Everybody turns into a nigger when they play this game. The game is great but it takes like fucking 5 months to fully understand all the mechanics and shit. Braindead teenagers and young adults are the main audiences of ARTS/MOBA/ASSFAGGOTS and they cannot dedicate all of that time to autisticly study a game. They just want to jump in and see wombo combo or muh "ooga booga where the teamfights at".
The irony is that Valve constantly dumps down the game to please the retarded audiences. The game is actually quite easy now (Gold/XP everywhere, region lock so you have English speakers) but it is so bland right now. Just play like 5 games this in US East in 4.3k bracket and was so surprised of how easy the game is right now. But at the same time, I didn't have the satisfaction from trying hard like it used to be.
>>
I played Dota 2 for about 3-4 years before I quit.

Patch 7.0 Killed Dota 2 for me. Shrines could have been ok, but implemented badly. Talents are I think are pretty decent but it really makes balancing the game harder.
EXP changes were bad for pacing of the matches, and changed when each hero got their power spikes and for how long, in the end I think made it worse.
UI is complete fucking garbage I don't give a fuck. Should have had the option to keep old UI, at the very least make the UI fully customizable.
The new map feels like it was made complicated for now good reason other than to make is complicated, it doesn't feel as comfy as the previous maps.
Overall I feel like the game was dumbed down in 7.0 for more SA trash shekels. No region/language lock options after this time just makes it unplayable solo Q.

I think Dota WAS a good game, I'm not so sure now.
>>
>>12606
ESports are just wastes of time. They are functionally identical to sports, but there is no physical activity, so they are strictly worse than just playing a fucking sport. Other games at least have interesting stories or experiences beyond just making a team and playing an isolated game that has no effect on anything.
>>
>>12606

It's boring and full of Russians.
>>
>>12606
I don' t exactly hate the game, I simply hate every single person I have ever had to play it with.
>>
>>12855
New UI is objectively better, and they implemented soft region lock recently.
>>
>>12849
>you can literally get 200 gold just for waddling through your jungle.

The initial bounty runes give 100 gold, but every bounty after that gives 50 + an additional 2 for every minute that has passed, right? I do a lot of bounty rune stealing and I don't think I've gotten one worth 100 aside from the starting ones.
>>
File: 1359790029047.jpg (296KB, 1024x819px) Image search: [Google]
1359790029047.jpg
296KB, 1024x819px
>>12855
This is basically where I'm at too
Dota is a good game, but this isn't really dota anymore
>>
>>12644
LUL you can't be more wrong than this
>>
>>12859
>important information still hidden underneath the alt key
>objectively better
>>
>>12860
Actually I forgot, you're right. I just forget about them so much that I just remember grabbing the first one of the game and getting +100. Not quite as bad but still sorta silly on principle, especially with bottle.
>>
File: 1472904329780.jpg (36KB, 657x527px) Image search: [Google]
1472904329780.jpg
36KB, 657x527px
>>12861
I miss boner king
>>
>>>/vg/172792096
>>>/vg/172792479
>>>/vg/172792936
>>
I think the genre needs a revitalizing shock. Right now it's pretty stagnant and losing a lot of eyes.

DotA2 would've been good if not for arbitrarily keeping some limitations from the WCIII DotA, while also ruining the balance of the game with tons of exp and money reworks.

Maybe the 30 - 50 minute matches are what're killing the game? Most other competitive games have shorter duration matches so a fuck up doesn't lead to 30 minutes of the enemy ricing and finishing you off. I know that the support/carry/initiator/ganker/semi-carry roles are part of the strategy of the genre, but it's also partly to blame for the long matches as the game needs to be balanced around hard carries needing an hour of farm to reach their max potential.
>>
because despite it's complexity of mechanics and items, its hero designs simply aren't as good as League

i'm not even baiting - sure some DoTA stuff is more complex or has more significant effects, but LoL heroes just have generally tighter kits.

What is the Yasuo, Camille, Fiora, of DoTA?

Also the art design is dated, the game is too dark, and the CC is too often point and click and exceedingly long
>>
>>12868
Isn't Fiora's ultimate just Omni-slash?

Besides, most of League's heroes are ripped off from DotA2/HoN. Like that rodent in a machine thing being completely ripped off from Chipper, or Riot releasing Monkey King after HoN released their Monkey King.
>>
The worst part about the game is how few people there are that know about the game and take the leader role. So few players will give you a genuine "Relax, you're doing fine" along with advice to help the next fight.

Obviously you can't explain the concept of connect-pulling to someone who doesn't know easily enough to have it matter for that game, but things like positioning, when to use a certain ability, when to back out of a fight can be easily communicated.

>Let's push with next wave. I'll blink in, then that's when the rest of you follow. Luna, hit your ult then only focus on the buildings, we'll buy you time. As soon as we get the racks, everyone back off.

Something as simple as that is all you need. The game isn't fun when the only communication is every member of the team believing they deserve to be 7k and insulting everyone else's playing when clearly the whole team belongs in 1k.
>>
>>12869
didn't dota literally just come out with Monkey king, and character design =/= gameplay design.

If a character looks similar and plays absolutely nothing alike it's what a character model rip? boo hoo
>>
>>12870
The problem is that the matches last for fucking ever, so one shitter ruining things for your team can trap you in a losing battle for well over 40 minutes due to no concede button.

Like, there's seriously no way out unless you want to be punished. Either you sit there and watch as the enemy team demolishes you slowly, or you leave and get buttfucked by Valve. That's why so many people get angry. If there was a way to end it after 20 - 25 minutes without relying on the enemy team to man up and finish you off, people would be far less likely to have their head up their ass and yell at you all the time.
>>
>>12868
i stopped playing LoL in like early 2011 because the kits were shit

playing dota where every spell set was distinct and insane was vastly more fun
>>
>>12871
That rodent in a mech is pretty much exactly Chipper from HoN. Like, his ultimate is a direct fucking copy of Chipper's. His shield is a copy of Chipper's. His ability to set people on fire is a copy of Chipper's. His model is a copy of Chipper's, etc.

Riot literally stole the design and changed it up ever so slightly. You can pretty much only expect Chinese bootlegs out of a company owned by China, afterall.
>>
>>12869
No, her ultimate puts 4 quadrants on the target, attacking from within that quadrant procs the 'vital' dealing damage and healing her (true damage, ignoring armour)

If she procs any during the ultimate timer, a healing field is placed on the ground, healing her and teamates for 2 seconds per Vital proc'd.

But the rest of her kit is great too - despite veing simple. It's kind of the difference i was getting at. DoTA certainly has some extremely fucking cool abilities, but i feel like LoL does better with complete kits. Her Q is a simple dash that does an attack, but it fits with her passive. Her W is just a simple reflect, but has so much use, and so on.
>>
>>12868
Apples and oranges.
Dota is more of a strategy game, LoL is more of an action game.
But, it's funny because Dota still has harder mechanics
>>
>>12875
I'm not really seeing the basis behind your argument, all I'm getting is "I really like this particular LoL kit so LoL ability design is better"
>>
>>12876
perhaps. and i will admit - the reason i stopped playing LoL is because i thoroughly enjoyed the laning phase - outplaying my opponent 1v1, duelling, etc

But i never really liked the group and teamfighting phase since its just a standoff until someone fucks up.
>>
>>12875
I think the simplicity is the problem with the movesets in LoL. There are too many dashes, too many mid-ranged "skill-shots", too many activate-and-have-your-next-attack-do-something spells.

Like, there are some functional differences, like some dashes attack a lot of targets, some end when they hit something, or etc, but they're still so reminiscent. Doesn't help that everyone will have Flash. The Summoner abilities really fucked the game because everyone is going to use the most powerful ability.
>>
>>12606
For several reasons. It's extremely popular, it can be frustrating. I've also noticed that people shit on it for reasons that only apply to LoL.

Personally I hate it because 7.00 was fucking insulting. I can recognize that it's not complete shit yet but to me the writing is on the wall.

>>12609
Yeah that's true but once you get past your first 10-20 matches, the learning experience is pretty fun. It's rewarding to learn about the tricks of the game and the importance of various mechanics.

>>12610
Not really. Last hitting is a pretty good resource gain game mechanic. Since your creeps meet, it means your main resource spots are in the same place as the enemy's main resource spots (jungle camps are also resource spots and they're not inherently safe either). This encourages makes both teams interact with each other from the very start.
>>
>>12877
i like that the kits in LoL seemed to just feel tighter and kinda more coherent. I played a bit of DoTA and i just felt like a lot of heroes have powerful abilities but less 'kit synergy' so to speak.

I'm not saying either is better, just what i prefer. For example, i'm not a big fan of how much power Items have in DoTA, with their abilities and such, but i get that some people do.

>>12879
I would have a problem if many of the kits were just simple, but a lot of them have simplicity at their root, but room for development/mastery. That's why theres certain heroes who you dread seeing on your team in low elo - the 'mechanical' heroes like Riven, Katarina, Yasuo or whatever.

Your argument about mobility creep is very real, and i can certainly agree with that to an extent. Lee Sin was a fucking mistake.

I actually really like skill shots though, and think one of my biggest gripes with DoTA is the lack of skill shots for CC/Damage. I like being able to outplay opponents via mobility.
>>
The real problem with the genre is that it's team based. Teams are fine, but sometimes it feels like you're pitting a team of PE class rejects against the fucking NFL, and rarely is it ever an even match. Sometimes you're fucked from the getgo because of team picks, sometimes you have such strong team synergy that you can completely make up for the difference of skill.

A 10 player free for all styled DotA game would be interesting. If you succeeded, it'd be because of your own merits, and not because you had a pro-level carry or the world's best support. Plus, it'd make more fun heroes to play because you wouldn't have to balance every hero around their BFF being picked and making them imba.
>>
>>12882
finding good teammates is a team game skill and you should git gud
>>
>>12883
You're right, I should get on buying $5k worth of games so Valve will match me with good teammates. What was I thinking?
>>
>>12609
>>
>>12882
you could always make friends anon
>>
>>12884
I don't mean by the match making you dummy, I mean before you even press the queue button you should have a team of competent friends or game-mates
>>
>>12886
Fuck making friends. Especially on a Steam game.

If I wanted to play a competitive game with a friend, I'd go back to practicing doubles for Melee with my bro.
>>
>>12609
This is why I dont get why /v/ calls mobas casual shit. Even for league, someone who has never touched the genre needs a few hundred hours to really get it, let alone dota.

Hate them, call them shit, but they are far from casual.
>>
>>12882
One idea I spent a lot of time on as a Dota 2 custom game but gave up on due to Valve assfucking the custom game tools every 2 seconds was a mode where you're basically a moba team by yourself, and it's CTF distilled down to gameplay rounds.

Basically, you had 5 units, each with a single ability. Your sorceress was your central character that could pick up enemy flags. She dies and you lose the round. The others were fighters based on the elements, but also moba archetypes. Fire was a burst character, earth was an initiator, water was a support, and wind was a DPSer. They'd respawn in 30 seconds if killed, but rounds are about 5 minutes. There was also a powerup in the middle of the map that could increase your sorceress' HP, and killing enemy elementals would do the same thing to a lesser degree.

I got really discouraged from working on it not only due to Valve fucking up the API all the time, but because of the fact that everything that isn't just a Dota clone or an RPG gets shafted on the arcade. Even amazing shit like Crumbling Island Arena gets no players compared to Dota Imba or Roshpit Champions. Part of me wants to continue it but part of me thinks I'd be better off just making it as a new game.
>>
>>12889
It's a meme
/v/'s definition of "casual" is "game I don't like for any reason"
>>
>>12606
>be me
>friends always go on about how great dota 2 is
>finally install the game and start it up
>find out it is actually not a video game but a torture method
>game also functions as a containment zone for third world shitters who can't afford real games
>matches never end, 95% of every match is the most mind-numbingly boring shit ever
>friends realise game is garbage and quit

Final verdict: If i was an unemployed third worlder who has to spend what little shekels i have on vodka and potatoes and wall carpets so i don't freeze to death in the winter this game would be my go to escapism from my hopeless existence.
>>
File: 1345251693772.jpg (194KB, 717x880px) Image search: [Google]
1345251693772.jpg
194KB, 717x880px
>>12892
>be me
>>
>>12889
>>12891

Devil's advocate: they have a very high skill floor but the skill ceiling isn't far beyond it outside of outlier heroes/champs that take more skill than normal. Once you've memorized all the items and characters they're pretty simple games. If you made a moba with only 5 characters to choose from and it had Dota's version of talents instead of items, it'd probably be the most casual shit in the universe.
>>
>>12680
>just to fit valves business model
Does that make it any less free?
Your argument is stupid
>>
>>12606
/v/ hates dota 2 because in reality /v/ only likes easy games like dark souls and overwatch and stray away from any game that requires both individual skill and ability to work with other people
it's literally too hard for the vast majority of /v/ and that's why they hate games that show just how shit they are at their hobby
>>
>>12807
if you want to climb higher you proly have to
>>
It's simply not fun. I have 2k hours in it, and I probably enjoyed maybe 30ish hours at most.
>>
>>12890
My idea was more of a remix on the map where there are 5 - 10 bases, each with only one player. You have a limited amount of lives, but you can also lose by having your base destroyed. It'd be a bit of a bigger map since there would need to be room for several different bases as well as lanes and jungle.

It'd lend to the matches being quicker, and you could balance heroes more evenly without having to balance them around the off chance of a really complimentary hero being picked and being too strong together, but too weak separate.
>>
>>12894
>Once you've memorized all the items and characters they're pretty simple games.
That's really not how it works. It's not just about raw memorizing, it's about learning interactions to the point of being able to make rapid real time decisions as shit gets thrown at you. It's not a turn based game.

>If you made a moba with only 5 characters to choose from and it had Dota's version of talents instead of items, it'd probably be the most casual shit in the universe.
Any game is casual if you completely remove all the core mechanics it's built on, turning it into a completely unrelated game. How is this an argument?
>>
>>12899
I do like the idea, but I think you'd have to have at least two lanes per player so that there's no reason to just camp your lane 24/7. It's definitely got some potential though, I'd like to see a game like this where characters are balanced against each other in a 1v1 sense instead of in a way where certain characters always win engagements versus others or even versus entire archetypes.
>>
>>12899
Something like this ends up relying more on who does and doesn't end up getting focused rather than who's individually skilled. There would still be teamfights, but instead of teams it's just a clusterfuck of people all switching focus to whoever looks like they'll die the fastest.

If you've ever played a mtg commander game with more than three players, you know what I'm talking about
>>
ask someone whos played more than 300 hours of singleplayer against bots, barely touching multiplayer anything.

I love the game, but the community is awful.
>>
>>12902
Overthrow in Dota has this problem too. It becomes less about who's better at teamfighting and more about a combination of who's better at picking on the weak and who's better at killstealing. Which are usually mobile characters with good burst like Slark, Storm, or PA.
>>
>>12902
If you've ever played a Civilization multiplayer match, you'll know that people won't just gang up on one person unless they're insanely overpowered (a la Korea/Babylon/Poland in Civ V, or Australia in Civ VI). Nobody wants to overextend, and alliances aren't trustworthy unless you actually know and want to team up with the other player.

If one person gets BTFO by all the others, he's out of the match in only 5 - 10 minutes, so it's not a huge timesink.
>>
>>12754
Day9 has been doing a weekly coaching session with purge. has alot of basics, if watch and put some time in you could be more than halfway decent I'll bet.
>>
>>12903
why dont you get a job?
>>
>>12901
2 lanes per player and having only 5 players total could also work. That way there's less of a chance of getting a train run on you by a ton of people. You could potentially win a 1v2 or a 1v3 if you're skilled enough at juking, especially if they can kill their "allies" by missing.
>>
>>12904
storm+kunkka is such a good overthrow combo that me and my friend agreed to never play it again after we tried it out in our second ever game
>>
>>12905
>If you've ever played a Civilization multiplayer match, you'll know that people won't just gang up on one person unless they're insanely overpowered (a la Korea/Babylon/Poland in Civ V, or Australia in Civ VI). Nobody wants to overextend, and alliances aren't trustworthy unless you actually know and want to team up with the other player.
That's different because it's a slow, turn based politics game. Comparing that to a real-time free for all fight where everyone's mushed together throwing abilities at each other is apples to oranges.

In that kind of a fight, the way to stay alive is to make other players die first. If other people are focusing someone other than you, you help them because it protects yourself as well. It's not about focusing a threat.
>>
>>12880
Honestly 7.00 got me back into DotA though, it changed enough of the game to make it feel fresh, theres so many new builds and items it's honestly FUN
>>
>>12894
But casual implies anyone can pick up and play, high skill floor is the exact opposite of that. My grandpa managed to play a game of halo 2 with me, he wouldnt know where to begin in dota/league.

Once you get there the genre becomes more strategic rather than a display of mechanical skill(less so for league, which is a bit more skewed in the mechanics direction), using the mass of knowledge youve accumulated to make better and better decisions than your enemies its still pvp after all. And with elements like vision, you dont always know what decisions you enemy is making, and you dont always know what decisions the enemies know you are making. Games may become less chaotic and random, but that doesnt mean simpler.
>>
>>12910
There's also The Culling, where people can arbitrarily team up.

Usually you only see that happen if one player is severely over powered (has a gun, or a T4 weapon, or has killed 3+ other players). People will usually turn on each other halfway through the fight because they want all the glory, and it ends up being a little more fair.

Plus, there's anti-teaming mechanics where people who team up for too long end up having a duel to the death.
>>
>>12912
That's fair. I've just always preferred fighting games where even playing your favorite character well has a bit of barrier to entry, and even when you know a matchup, assuming it's not 8-2 or something you still have to constantly be thinking two steps ahead of your opponent. I find that satisfying, but to each his own. I can see the appeal but after 4 years of Dota 2 (and its admittedly terrible patches) I've decided it was not for me.
>>
>>12913
Again, this is a completely different kind of game and the effect I'm talking about doesn't exist there.
>>
>>12910
>you help them
nah no, with limited lives and no time limit, people tend to avoid/ambush/camp. The result is you mostly get 1v1 where the 3rd party will stay out of the fight to finish the weaken victor.
>>
>>12908
I like it. Part of me is still so tempted to revive my game mode though. I can't run from the sunk cost fallacy.
>>
>>12916
have you never played overthrow?
>>
>>12915
It actually does. The goal of the game is to be the last to die, and you're solo the entire team. Of course, it also has a Teams mode, which is hella imbalanced, because there's always 1 - 2 teams where the people know each other and are good, and the other 6 - 7 teams are a fucking disgrace. It's basically the DotA effect, where one bad team mate can fuck up your chances of victory.
>>
>>12730
>using "?"
That's pretty much the best thing, along with "??".

>>12780
Shrines, talents, bounty rune changes and the new HUD are all awful. I don't like the stacking changes either.

The rune changes are bad because they moved most of the rune spots to the team jungles, turning them from a "neutral", contested objective to a team-biased one (and seriously why would you risk such a disfavorable confrontation for under 100 gold and 2 bottle charges).

The talents are bad because there was more choice in the stat levels (it was not as obvious but it was much more significant). Most talents are dull, give too much for the single point investment they require. Some of them remove weaknesses from characters, which used to require items (e.g. Windranger's mana problems are fixed by a level 10 talent). That's really not that levels should do. Finally, many of the levels 20 and 25 are far too strong, increasing snowballing problems and breaking the careful balance of the xp curve: previously, you basically hit peak power at 16. After that, you gained more stats, but your respawn time increased. Now, you gain significant power from levels all the way to level 25.

Shrines are bad because they're a free, strong heal. This makes early game aggression (i.e. lane ganks) weaker because players can very easily heal. It also makes fights in the jungle very favored towards the team that can heal from the shrine, making the game more passive. It also makes map control very hard to lose, since they are a tp spot.

Finally, the new HUD is ugly, doesn't fit with the game and was made with retards in mind (you actually can't argue that last point). It is the least important of the four problems I mentioned, and I would not care about it if I could still use the old style, but they clearly didn't care enough to make this an option.

The sad part is the gameplay changes would have been at home in a custom, Valve's very own Dota IMBA. Instead they make it the core game.
>>
>>12919
No it doesn't. The functional gameplay is different. There aren't teamfights where you whittle health bars down. That's what creates this effect. It works like a teamfight in regular LoL/Dota where targets end up getting focused, and as long as that target isn't you it's in your best interest to help with that focus. What I'm talking about is very specific to the assfaggots genre, free for alls in basically every other type of game don't work like this because the perspective different, the TTK is different, and the methods of combat are different.
>>
>tfw custom games will never live again
there was an attempt
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SSHf0xHAT2w
>>
>>12922
CIA is literally better Battlerite than Battlerite. I will fight anyone who disagrees.
>>
>>12881
Dota is about hero synergies more than kit synergies, and also about using items to mitigate weaknesses. No way to jump in and initiate? Get Blink. Your only CC is an unreliable stun? Get euls or an ally that can set up your stun with his own reliable stun.
>>
>spent 22,50 on treasures
>at this point i could've just bought the expensive thing i wanted in the first place
>>
File: 1486338921213.jpg (1MB, 2048x1536px) Image search: [Google]
1486338921213.jpg
1MB, 2048x1536px
>>12606
I didn't like it when it was called dota and and don't like it now that it has a 2 on the end

its MMO pvp watered down to 30 min matches instead of 300 hour grinds, but the gameplay remains the same

its a game for people who want to play mmos but don't have the time/comptards, and I don't want to play mmos or compete in them
>>
>>12907
I have several. Finishing writing my thesis now and I'm picking up a new hobby because vidya are boring now.
>>
/v/ hates it because dota has to cooperate with strangers
>>
>>12680
>there are people that take Mike FUCKING Lowell 's opinion on anything seriously
I don't know why I expected more from /v/
>>
>>12923
I love it to the core. The only major flaw of the game is matchup win rates in 1v1s
>CM vs AM
>brew vs QoP
good luck with that
>>
File: file.png (369KB, 621x645px) Image search: [Google]
file.png
369KB, 621x645px
>>12929
>>12680
MICHAEL
LOWELL
>>
>>12930
Yeah, and on top of that Battlerite is balanced around 2v2 and 3v3 so that problem's ten times worse there. Whether you win a 1v1 or not almost entirely depends on how much self-healing, iframes, and outs your character has. Varesh vs. Freya still makes me salty to think about (pre Varesh rework obviously).
>>
File: file.png (134KB, 583x769px) Image search: [Google]
file.png
134KB, 583x769px
>>12929
>>12931
>>12680
LOWELL
MIKE
THE MICHAEL
>>
>>12930
>purely team-based game
>flawed because it's well designed as a team based game
uhhhhh
>>
>>12932
Yup. And for me on top of that Battlerite doesn't have a single hero which makes me feel like playing it again. CIA has unique heroes with their own play style.

call me a shill all you want but it really bothers me how dota custom games never became a thing, even when there are such hidden gems
>>
>>12934
In a game mode where ending up 1v1 for the rest of a match is a common occurrence, and there is literally a free-for-all mode, I think that's a valid complaint. That'd be like saying that you can't complain about Marvel vs. Capcom or Smash 2v2 balance for the same reason.
>>
File: 1430544913111.png (256KB, 476x477px) Image search: [Google]
1430544913111.png
256KB, 476x477px
>>12934
>CIA is purely team-based game
I wouldn't go that far
>>
>>12936
>>12937
I'm retarded and didn't see you were talking about a custom game
carry on
>>
File: Timbersaw-1.jpg (317KB, 1600x900px) Image search: [Google]
Timbersaw-1.jpg
317KB, 1600x900px
>>12658
>Fun to play
>Top tier lore
>Good character design

Literally the only people who like this hero other than me is Valve
>>
>>12935
Tell me about it. If anything, that's encouraging. I might just go finish up my game mode just because I know there are some people out there who will appreciate it if I polish it up enough. <3

Varesh was pretty fun to me but 90% of BR's cast is basic as hell. The only other one I really liked was Bakko and he was still extremely basic, just more basic like in the Sven/Earthshaker sense and less the Juggernaut/Drow Ranger sense.
>>
It's the best game to spectate hands down. I used to play but the dota competitive scene is all I care about now.
>>
File: file.png (88KB, 837x429px) Image search: [Google]
file.png
88KB, 837x429px
>>12680
MIKE
"1-STAR TO LIMBO"
LO
"2-STAR TO SUPER MEAT BOY, DE:HR AND CAVE STORY"
WE
"3 STARS TO THE ORDER: 1886"
LL
"4 STARS TO BULLETSTORM"
MICHAEL
"5 STARS TO UNCHARTED"
>>
>>12606
Because if you don't know what you do you lose hard and even if you know what you do you still lose half of the time and /v/ hates losing.
>>
File: 3k Hours.png (62KB, 265x119px) Image search: [Google]
3k Hours.png
62KB, 265x119px
>>12606
Just broke 3k hours, am 4K MMR, getting to 4k was hard enough, getting to 5k is impossible
>>
File: 1430629328535.png (127KB, 500x329px) Image search: [Google]
1430629328535.png
127KB, 500x329px
>>12658
FUZZY WUZZY

>shistomps scrubs
>people who don't take his Q, 4 second slow, 5 second CD, 80% uptime, guarantees kills at level 3 with enough stacks

>can fight off aggro offlanes HARD because he rapes anyone

>press R and not afraid of anything
>get Aegis and not afraid of anything
>>
Speaking of Crumbling Island Arena, I gotta say one of my favorite parts of it design-wise is that ultimates are actually a tool that your character can use or misuse and not just a hamfisted snowballing or rubberbanding mechanic. More like a standard fighting game and less like CoD, Overwatch, or Street Fighter 4.
>>
>>12946
CIA's sven does have a big turn-around ultimate, but I get what you mean.
>>
>>12623
This! a hard match of DotA with friends where you argue and shit talk and win is such an amazing feeling also the memes are gud
>>
The best Dota is the one where both teams struggle and the outcome a match is decided in the end and buybacks are out in full salvo.

Which is why competitive Dota is so godly despite pubs being shit.
>>
>>12775

im not installing gentoo, fuck off
>>
>>12606
It has replay value up to about 1000 hours. After that you either will be the nerd that can keep playing or you can put the game down and never have to play again ever. Unless they make some changes I deem necessary to the matchmaking and gameplay modes I will never play the game ever again because it simply will not be fun.
>>
>>12630
Ha, I remember 2013
>>
>>12947
Yeah, it's fine if it's the exception and not the norm. A little bit like Boxer's turn punch in Super Turbo. SEVEN!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kjcz1KUXGZM
>>
File: 1490761814082.jpg (47KB, 600x677px) Image search: [Google]
1490761814082.jpg
47KB, 600x677px
The community is a fucking shit hole, 2k hours here and quited, fuck that place
>>
>>12889
Uhhh huh.

It's the most literal definition of the word casual. It was a minigame made in the map editor of a much more complex and nuanced game.

Is Cookie Clicker not casual because it takes ages to get a competitive amount of cookies?
>>
>>12951
>up to 1000 hours

People still learn shit after 3000 hours m8
>>
>>12849
How is that true a carry is almost never gonna roam all the way to a shrine or the bounty they're gonna sit in lane with tangos and salves and farm, plus mid always goes towards safe lane shrine and uses it since its closer.
>>
File: 1468588900955.jpg (45KB, 408x352px) Image search: [Google]
1468588900955.jpg
45KB, 408x352px
I love Dota but at the same time I hate it deeply. It will never leave me, I will always read the patch notes, watch a pro game here and there but I will never play it again.
>>
>>12955
>most literal

No it's not. Also just because Dota is more casual than WC3 doesn't make the game casual, it's not some yes/no thing there's a difference of degree.

Is Tic Tac Toe casual? Yes for sure, but Dota 2? More casual than WC3 but one wouldn't use casual to describe Dota.
>>
>>12955
>not even reading the posts you reply to
>>
>>12955
You're an idiot if you think dota is less complex than WC3 Ladder Games
>>
File: throwing_up0[1].jpg (19KB, 364x310px) Image search: [Google]
throwing_up0[1].jpg
19KB, 364x310px
>>12680
>http://www.learntocounter.com/why-dota-sucks-introduction/
>If I had to describe the dota genre to someone who has never heard of it, I’d say it’s a little like taking the battles in The Lord of the Rings and turning them into a team sport
Holy shit what is this guy
>>
>>12606

because the game is the bastard child of Dota all-stars which killed my beloved Wc3 custom games
>>
>>12944
>getting to 4k was hard enough, getting to 5k is impossible

how would you feel about a vote kick button ?
I was 3.5k when I left and I'm not coming back unless they implement something like that. reporting does fuck all.
>>
>>12964
What do you want to kick people for?
>>
>>12956
yeah but that doesn't mean its worth playing. 1000 hrs is good enough to get experience with enough/most heroes and find the ones you are good at playing. Also most of the shit people *learn* is simply a side effect of the game having so many fucking heroes there is no consistent behavior and there is a million exceptions for everything. You can have a deep game while having clear and concise rules that produce expected game behavior.
>>
>>12965
>What do you want to kick people for?

fucking up my game. I used to play Wc3 dota and they had a vote like that. it was fucking magic. just threatening to vote kick someone and they shaped up pronto.

reporting is totally fucking useless. dota 2 crowd right now is effectively an unmoderated mess. tons of smurf accounts collide with tons of nobs because climbing mmr is so hard resulting in a total coin toss for 80% of my games.
>>
>>12967
>fucking up my game.
That doesn't answer my question. Please elaborate.
Let me guess, you're one of those "waahhhh this person died once, report them" faggots
>>
File: 1490918788040.jpg (66KB, 826x700px) Image search: [Google]
1490918788040.jpg
66KB, 826x700px
Reminder League is better, more popular and the only place that thinks /r/dota is the better game is reddit

This thread is full of reddit "ebin gaben xD steam sale" shills

play the game with colours, good animations, actual character design instead of budget warcrafts and a dev team that communicates with the fans

2 week balance cycles too
>>
>>12966
Couldn't have said it better myself. As much as Dota players like to use it as an example, Chess is a perfect example of a game with simple rules that has a really elaborate metagame. Go even moreso. Conversely, it is possible to make a game that has really complicated rules but a really simple metagame, especially if those rules make one strategy optimal over the thousands of other possibilities. Which actually happens quite frequently in Dota patches.
>>
>>12968
Not him but he's actually speaking AGAINST that type. If someone starts feeding couriers, you can tell him to fuck off or we're starting a votekick. In Dota 2 you're just forced to take it up the ass. Sure, they nerfed courier feeding, but people find other ways to throw.
>>
File: 1373152967931.jpg (22KB, 270x271px) Image search: [Google]
1373152967931.jpg
22KB, 270x271px
>>12969
No matter what each game does, as long as LoL has its forced meta and Flash and Dota doesn't, LoL will always be the inferior game.
>>
>>12970
Not recently, the only meta thing in Dota are heroes which are naturally stronger because they have bigger numbers. All strategies in Dota are pretty much viable which is why 'pocket strats' are even a thing. You don't have 'pocket strats' for Chess.
>>
>>12964
>Vote kick
>Random drow
>People want to kick you for randoming already
>Go jungle drow with Talon because its more farm than you will ever get in your shitty double hc offlane and its viable.
>Retards want to kick you because pros dont go jungle drow
>Retards die twice on the offlane against a duo and its somehow the drow's fault
>Even more reason to kick, even though you're being miles more efficient than them
>>
>Play LoL for the longest time
>Riot forces metas, bans people for having fun, and the dedicated fanbase is more toxic than the trolls
>playing the game is basically a chore and playing with friends ruins relationships

>Play DotA2
>most of the fun is learning different strats for individual heroes and how to play as team
>still a "best" meta but nobody feels like they have to play it to win nine times out of ten

The best time I had in Dota2 was when me and my friend's team were getting our shit pushed in hard in all lanes and I randomly decided "Fuck it. Let's smoke since I've never tried doing it in pubs before." Absolutely devastate enemy team with it and pushed a lane in to win.
>>
>>12971
>Not him but
Then you have no clue what he did or didn't mean. Fuck off.
>>
>>12972
If flash wasn't in the game literally every immobile champion would be unplayable
>>
>>12825
because dota has so many different variables you will play 1000 thousand games and no game will be the same as another
>>
File: LOLBABS.png (769KB, 1208x584px) Image search: [Google]
LOLBABS.png
769KB, 1208x584px
>>12969
>play the game with colours, good animations, actual character design instead of budget warcrafts and a dev team that communicates with the fans

>2 week balance cycles

>champions which haven't been played in competitive games for over two years
>>
>>12967
>tons of smurf accounts
Hmmm the delicious sound of Confirmation Bias
With a hint of shitterness
>>
>>12979
>le greentext to imply you're wrong

good argument retard
>>
>>12969
I'm an ex-dotafag and I agree. I still don't like mobas anymore, but at this point any problems League has, Dota has tenfold, and LoL at least has an execution barrier that isn't paper-thin. Only objective downside I'd say is having to buy champs and runes/masteries existing.

Also reminder that at this point Dota 2 has spell vamp and LoL doesn't. Just love pointing out that irony.
>>
File: Capture.jpg (190KB, 843x893px) Image search: [Google]
Capture.jpg
190KB, 843x893px
who >9.5 versatility here
>>
>>12969

>2 week balance cycles

So the game is balanced when they can never settle on how to actually balance the game? That's the worst aspect of League bar none. Only the tweens that play this game think that's a constructive thing.

Riot doesn't know how to fix anything btw
>>
File: laughing butcher.png (418KB, 448x468px) Image search: [Google]
laughing butcher.png
418KB, 448x468px
>>12981
http://lol.esportspedia.com/wiki/List_of_Most_Recent_Games_By_Champion

>4 champions last used in 2015
>a bunch over a year ago

HHHHHHMMMM
>>
>>12979
I like how you used a cosmetic that's way newer than Nami, makes Naga look way more like Nami than she normally does beyond just being a mermaid, and use that as an implied originality jab.

I'm a dotafag but that's extremely disingenuous.
>>
File: nami.png (449KB, 898x392px) Image search: [Google]
nami.png
449KB, 898x392px
>>12986
Nami doesn't even have separate textures for eyes OR have facial animations.
>>
>>12985
>e-sports shit
>implying anyone gives a fuck

If we're going to talk about e-sports lets bring up how your scene literally doesn't exist except for the internatinal meanwhile the nalcs pulls 100k concurrent viewers weekly on twitch alone
>>
>>12988
>implying anyone gives a fuck

you mean Riot "we will never have crowd-funded prizepools" Tencent?
>>
>>12977

That doesn't make sense at all.

They have Flash in the game because Riot had no idea how to make a proper game engine let alone proper game design for a genre they sabotaged.

Rio has never known how to balance or design anything and it's still true to this day. The worst decision they made was not including turn-rates with champions.
>>
>>12987
That's great, but the model being shit doesn't mean she was made to be bootleg Naga. Also her kit isn't even remotely close to Naga's, she's more like a hybrid of Dazzle, Ogre, and Tidehunter than anything.
>>
>>12988
>says no one gives a fuck
>talks about viewers

wew lad

>>12990
Not only that but a bunch of RTS games have some turn rate and ARPGs like Dark Souls have it as well to stop stupid ranged attack cheesing.
>>
My problem with LoL is that it's way too dark in color, I don't know what they did but it's all very dark in color vs Dota now.
>>
>>12990
>Turn rates
>Good

Literally all the proof you need to know this is a Pcbro shill

>make shit mechanic
>convince idiots its for the good of the game
>>
File: 1490930675994.jpg (43KB, 570x587px) Image search: [Google]
1490930675994.jpg
43KB, 570x587px
>>12988
>haven't been played in competitive games
>implying anyone gives a fuck about e-sports

And by the way, everyone gives a fuck about e-sports you fucking retard
>>
>>12994
>make

Do you know how many games have it, it's only because of LoLfags that people feel the need to accentuate why games have it in the first place.
>>
>>12968
>waahhhh this person died once, report them

No: guy picks spec. he is not bad just spec nub. he doesn't know WHEN to ulti. we get our asses kicked. his connection drops. while he is out WE actually ulti for him and own hard.

>>12974
>>Random drow
teams will NOT vote kick for something like that. but it's a good way to force others to engage in some basic communication. Spec guy above was told again and again WHEN to ulty and he refused. another example: people have threatened to report me for jungling venom. i explained what i was planning, they stfu and we owned.

reporting is useless. why should i care if someone goes unranked ? he already fucked MY game. people play dota for long hours. people get tired. people get angry. sometimes it could be me or anyone else fucking up and wasting the time of FOUR other people. right now Valve is NOT respecting people's time without proper community moderation.
>>
>skim through thread
>bait and shitposts kept to a minimum (for a dota thread)

Is this /v/'s version of an april fools joke, a decent dota thread?
>>
>>12977
And flash isn't the only way to deal with that problem.
You're an idiot.
>>
>>12964
Dota doesn't need Vote Kick, just git gud, you'll get to 4k eventually
>>
>>12980
>Hmmm the delicious sound of Confirmation Bias
>With a hint of shitterness

wot ?

dota 2 community has objectively reached critical mass and volov should try something more drastic than low fucking priority.
>>
>>12994

>LoL is the gold standard for RTS games because it became the most popular

By that logic Call of Duty is the gold standard for FPS.

You clearly don't understand the importance of turn-rates or alternative methods of balancing melee and ranged units. That isn't even the main problem with the game either.

You don't need to have turn-rates as big as Dota2's by any means, but having none is inexcusable.
>>
No one plays for fun anymore.
All that's left is tryhards that have a serious addiction issue and desperately need to win to feel good.

The community ruined the game desu senpai.
>>
Got to 5k about 2 years ago (been playing the original Dota and HoN for 3 years prior with friends) but school got busy so I dropped the game and never really went back.

I still like watching the major tournaments and cheering for my boys EG
>>
>>13000
>you'll get to 4k eventually

Sure but I don't really care about that. I care about so many hours wasted at shit games that could have been avoided with less than shit community moderation.
dota numbers are dropping. it's their problem to win me back.
>>
The overall art design is fucking ugly compared to league
>>
>>12997
>No: guy picks spec. he is not bad just spec nub. he doesn't know WHEN to ulti. we get our asses kicked. his connection drops. while he is out WE actually ulti for him and own hard.
So yeah, exactly what I said.
In case your eyes don't work, there isn't a report option for "wasn't as good at the game as I wanted him to be" and wanting to theoretically kick someone over that is equally stupid.
If retards like you spent half the energy educating players on what they're doing wrong that you spend trying to get them banned, everyone would be better at the game and the problem would be solved a lot more effectively, AND the report system would actually work for its intended purpose.

You're everything that's wrong with this game, go fuck yourself
>>
>>13006
haha waifus!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
>>
>>13005
I've only ever had a truly horrible person appear in about 1 out of 100 games
>>
File: lolbabs.jpg (210KB, 750x452px) Image search: [Google]
lolbabs.jpg
210KB, 750x452px
LoL should just rework the entire game.

The engine is so fucking bugged and old and the programmers are clearly shit

>projectiles are coded as minions
>people used to be able to FARM projectiles for gold

>champion skins are coded as seperate champions
>they need to change every skin for balance changes
>they've forgotten to do this before
>also champions are coded into each side so you have double the actual amount of champions

>>13006
Not really.
>>
File: Dota 2 8k.jpg (3MB, 7680x4320px) Image search: [Google]
Dota 2 8k.jpg
3MB, 7680x4320px
>>13006
>>13010
>>
>>13007
>In case your eyes don't work
you dipshit retarded mother fucker

I just said in that same post that THE PROBLEM IS BASIC FUCKING COMMUNICATION. I don't want better players, I want worse players to LISTEN TO THE REST OF US.

learn to read.
>>
>>13006
where's the league comparison
>>
>actual literal multiplayer free game
>but with no containment servers for shitskins
>only real way to have fun is with friends
>you need to spend countless hours before you have any idea what the fuck you're doing

Basically if you enjoy playing games this is the kind of shit you need to stay away from. It will steal all your time and make you angry for no reason.

Now that I'm away from that shit I can finally play all the things I should've been playing for the past 6 years.

Dota = stay locked up at their /vg/ thread
not playing dota = enjoy games with /v/
>>
>>12969
>actual character design
>posts Jhin
Jhin is fun but the goiter poncho is horrible, I still don't know what they were thinking
>>
File: 20170401193451_1.jpg (501KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
20170401193451_1.jpg
501KB, 1920x1080px
>>13011
That's demo mode and >>13013

Toss in other terrain or weather effects if you want.
>>
>>13016
one thing always gets me is how league doesn't have an actual fog of war system and relies on magical bushes for visibility control
>>
File: 1419322490020.png (118KB, 775x521px) Image search: [Google]
1419322490020.png
118KB, 775x521px
>>13012
No, you fucking retard, that is not what you said.

>No: guy picks spec. he is not bad just spec nub. he doesn't know WHEN to ulti. we get our asses kicked. his connection drops. while he is out WE actually ulti for him and own hard.
You said spec is a "nub." Not a single thing about communication.
You do realize I can scroll up and read your previous posts and know when you're bullshitting, right? You can't just pretend you said something else and get away with it?
>>
>>13016
Looks like some generic gPotato MMO
>>
>>13010
>people used to be able to FARM projectiles for gold
what
>>
>>13019
It doesn't if you scroll out obviously.
>>
>>13010
>champion skins are coded as seperate champions
>they need to change every skin for balance changes
>they've forgotten to do this before
>also champions are coded into each side so you have double the actual amount of champions

Source on this? It sounds too retarded to actually be true
>>
>>13018
>You do realize I can scroll up and read your previous posts>>12997

kys.
>>
>>12994
But it is a good mechanic, and the only reason it feels wrong to you is because you're used to 0 turn rate movement.

I actually initially played LoL and eventually played Dota. It did feel weird at first but I got used to it and after that, it felt perfectly natural (apart from when Batrider napalms you but that's the point). On top of that, I played LoL after becoming decent at Dota and the movement felt really floaty, and the lack of turn rates felt wrong. So no, how natural one or the other feels is just a question of habit, and so the merits of turn rates as a mechanic is more about its gameplay consequences.

I almost wonder if that was an intentional choice by Riot, but I doubt they're smart enough for that.

>>13006
There is nothing in the world that looks ugly when compared to an anime-inspired artstyle.
>>
File: 1485313284164.jpg (359KB, 800x800px) Image search: [Google]
1485313284164.jpg
359KB, 800x800px
>>13023
>realize you were wrong and have no arguments
>shitpost instead
every time
>>
>>13025
>realize you were wrong>>12997

do it anon.
>>
i got to 5k in late 2015 and stopped playing not long after. i finally realized that i was an addict, and that having a job, playing other games, and having hobbies was more important than spending my life either playing dota, watching dota, or whining about dota.

what broke the illusion for me was getting into a ranked match with fear. he was on my team and one game away from 8k, and i did everything i possibly could to help him as support bh. i did what i could but the game devolved into him pretty much just shittalking everyone else on the team but me and how we all ruined his night because we couldn't cover his ass and let him carry the game. not long after that i got my shit pushed in by mason who was cocky enough to put all of his items on his hero instead of the bear. he didn't even say anything in all chat, but the other team was talking shit because they were lucky enough to get matched with him, while we had some 6k guy that wasn't nearly as good as him. i just finally figured out that i have no natural talent or intelligence for the game, and if i was going to get anywhere with it i'd have to dedicate at least ten hours a fucking day to it to achieve even a modicum of success.

tl;dr: playing dota occasionally/casually is unsatisfying, and playing seriously without serious aspirations to become pro is a waste of your fucking life
>>
>>13016
But that isn't 8k
>>
>>13028
what does 8k res have to do with art design
>>
>>13027
>>13014
Why it doesn't seem like people have this problem with Battlefield or CSGO
>>
>>13030
Because they're not enormous fucking skinner boxes with a cult-like community surrounding them.
>>
>play dota for success
>lose
>feel depressed

waowwww

maybe you should play dota for fun like singsing dotka

embrace the techies
Thread posts: 427
Thread images: 67

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoin at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Posts and uploaded images are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that website. If you need information about a Poster - contact 4chan. This project is not affiliated in any way with 4chan.