[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

AGDG - Amateur Game Development General

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 776
Thread images: 157

File: here comes the progress.jpg (65KB, 800x522px) Image search: [Google]
here comes the progress.jpg
65KB, 800x522px
DAWN OF DEMO DAY TWELVE edition
itch.io/jam/agdg-demo-day-12

Previous Thread: >>164897765

> Play Demo Day 11
itch.io/jam/agdg-demo-day-11

> Play Dinosaur Jam
itch.io/jam/agdg-dinosaur-jam

> Helpful links
New Threads: >>>/vg/agdg
Archive: boards.fireden.net/vg/search/subject/agdg
AGDG Logo: pastebin.com/iafqz627

Old Demo Days: pastebin.com/i0W2tVRS
Old Jams: pastebin.com/wUh6itNN

> Engines
GameMaker: yoyogames.com/gamemaker | Godot: godotengine.org
Monogame: monogame.net/ | LÖVE: love2d.org
UE4: unrealengine.com | Unity: unity3d.com

> Models/art/textures/sprites
opengameart.org | blender-models.com | mayang.com/textures

> Free audio
freesound.org/browse | incompetech.com/music | freemusicarchive.org
>>
>>164947960
>> Engines
>GameMaker: yoyogames.com/gamemaker | Godot: godotengine.org
>Monogame: monogame.net/ | LÖVE: love2d.org
>UE4: unrealengine.com | Unity: unity3d.com
>> Models/art/textures/sprites
>opengameart.org | blender-models.com | mayang.com/textures
>> Free audio
>freesound.org/browse | incompetech.com/music | freemusicarchive.org
Not optimal but not awful
>>
Reposting. TL;DR versions added because.

Umbrella Warriors
TL;DR: Good controls, good action, keep it up!
Man, this DD really starts good. Anon, I had fun. Real, genuine fun. The music is fun, the juice is fun, shooting shit is fun. I love the whole arcade style. I don't know if the sprites are intentionally this dumb looking or you can't do any better, but it didn't bothered me, moreover, it should be a sign to everyone: get your fucking pencils to work and produce fun you lazy fucks! Yeah, including me, but that's another story. When you jump and move forward, you are faster than simply walking, I guess you've made the usual mistake: you don't get your vector movement right, thus moving diagonal is faster. The story is cheesy, but in a way that it doesn't make any sense. First you talk about aliens, then suddenly go-go Umbrella warriors. Have I missed something? Are the aliens the small crocodiles? Are the Umbrella warriors from another dimension or are they man made robots? What is happening? I haven't asked this much about written text since I picked up Heidegger. Keep it up! I used a controller by the way.
>>
File: 2017-01-09-0204-41.webm (2MB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
2017-01-09-0204-41.webm
2MB, 640x480px
Hey guys, as I said I would, I have submitted my game to the Demo Day.
Some people like direct links, so here you go.
https://twingemgames.itch.io/sledfree2

For people that saw my older posts, I have update the game to include some minor changes to the game based on the feedback I received. The difficulty now increases over time in Original mode and the racer's can't catch up quite as well in Race mode. There is still no gamepad support. I forgot, sorry.

If you missed my first post, then this is the post I was talking about when I said you'd have more chances to see a post from me.

If you missed the last posts and never see this post, sorry bro.
>>
>no higher education
>no real experience with anything
>doesn't want to learn anything
>uses the easiest tools to make uninspired, mediocre-at-best shovelware shit games
t. aggydaggy manchild
>>
First for someone needs to put all feedbackposts in a pastebin
>>
>>164948164
Monolith
TL;DR: Juice - The game.
Seriously, man. Your game made me wet at places I didn't know I can get wet. The opening is juicy, the game over screen is juicy, the fucking pause screen, THE PAUSE SCREEN is also juicy! It's like, damn. I feel so sorry for your loved ones. You should call them sometimes, you know. I think they consider you dead by this point. I mean, the amount of time and effort which went to this is simply amazing and incredible, and makes me wonder what was the last occasion you saw the Sun. But, again: the setting doesn't make any sense. Something blows up, then you are this space ship entering some facility, then a sudden boss fight happens, which is not a boss fight after all, and, damn, guys, what the heck? Stephen Hawking explains quantum physics in a way even dumb fuck like me can understand, yet you fail to establish the reason why I shoot flying skulls in a post apocalyptic environment? Get your shit together. besides, it looks like the same game, so I don't know what you expect me to say what I haven't really told you last time. Oh, yes: thank you for scaling the crosshair with the window!

Bonelord
TL;DR: Good idea, not fun execution.
Well, I like concept of having an army while you have a main character to guide them. WarCraft 3 was fun, so was the necromancer from Diablo 2, but sadly, the execution here is not. Why do I have to press 1 then the mouse to execute the spell? Why don't you let me bind the spell to the mouse? So I would press 1, then as long as I don't choose another spell, let me use that. It made everything tedious. I couldn't figure out the bone mechanic. Sometimes I could pick up bones, sometimes I could not. For the love of all holy, I couldn't figure out how to summon heads. Besides, the skeletons often hug the walls. Here, read this: https://unisalesianogames.files.wordpress.com/2011/08/programming-game-ai-by-example-mat-buckland2.pdf
>>
>>164948203
i liked this one
>>
File: 1483878999434.gif (4MB, 727x810px) Image search: [Google]
1483878999434.gif
4MB, 727x810px
Amateur
Game
Dev
Graveyard
>>
What's something besides a vase you could find in an egyptian pyramid? I need background objects!
>>
>>164948203
a full year later and the snow particle effects still dont look right
>>
>>164948256
Bokube
TL;DR: A bad implementation of a good idea.
I really want to like this game, but I can't, because there's just so many small annoyances. Yes, it nice looking, the sounds are fun, the puzzles are good. But. Why there's no undo? I know it's possible to have one, since I've just finished implementing mine yesterday (for real). Restarting the level because you accidentally wall hugged a box is not fun. If you don't want to implement undo, then don't allow constant movement, or make checkpoints, so I don't have to start from all over again if I have already managed to put some cubes into places. The 3D. Why? Really, I like the idea, but this is an essential part of all puzzle games: let the player know everything right from the start! The only task the player supposed to have in a puzzle game is to, you know, put the presented pieces together. If I have to rotate the camera just to see every hidden shit in a 3D space, that's not puzzle solving, that's doing mindless shit until something happens. There's a very good game hidden in this, but your focus is not on the right places.

Dig
TL;DR: It didn't start.
"The program can't start because love.dll is missing from your computer. Try reinstalling the program to fix this problem." Anon, I know that not everyone has the chance to test if his shit runs on multiple machines, but at least Google this stuff next time, okay?
>>
>>164948352
that has been in development for a year?
>>
>>164948349
yugioh cards
>>
Pretty proud of my progress considering I'm not an animator and I'm just learning Krita. I'll tween it a little, add the arms, then remove the extras.

If someone could provide clear steps for turning this canvas into a textured sprite sheet that would be amazing.
>>
>>164948349
Baskets. Urns - shaped like organs and pets alike. Jars. Pots.
>>
>>164948364
Super Space Jam Jetpack Robot Turbo
TL;DR: I couldn't play it.
I've started to make a special bond with this game, but for some reason, I can play less and less with each iteration. This time I couldn't figure out how to shoot. I mean, how could this happen? I was pressing Z like my life depended on it, but it only made this clicking sound, like my ammo was out or something. I like the visual style, I hope there'll be more story later. I love the whistling gimmick. It really put a smile on my face. I love how you slowly descend if you stop pressing up. I was waiting for that from the beginning. Keep it up, anon!

Tyranny 3000
TL;DR: Nice alpha game.
Um, I don't know what to say, since there's not too much to talk about. Nice alpha, I guess. It's weird to control with the mouse, but maybe it'll be different when there's other stuff in it. See you next time!

x64.exe
Yes, I will call your game like that you lazy piece of fucking garbage. Fuck you. I don't care if it has a name on the itch.io page. I won't go back and figure it out. Other than that, I really like your sprites, and you have a good idea for a game. I love RTS games where I have to control a small group instead of building a huge army. You'll really have to figure out what is the best and most intuitive way to control this. It's good, so far, but there needs to be more content and level to do it fair justice. Yes, I couldn't kill the wolf. Keep it up!
>>
>>164948349
Anubis statues
candles?
wall hieroglyphics
bundles of reeds
>>
File: gifttest.gif (235KB, 1280x1024px) Image search: [Google]
gifttest.gif
235KB, 1280x1024px
>>164948432
forgot the gif, it's in the last thread as well. Krita supports ffmpeg for rendering so I just referenced the .exe and it just works.
>>
File: tags girl computer anime desk.jpg (273KB, 1920x1200px) Image search: [Google]
tags girl computer anime desk.jpg
273KB, 1920x1200px
>>164948469
Dino Sorcerer
Wait, what? Dino? I always thought it's a cat. But anyway. Having only one life then it's all back to the beginning is just too punishing. It's nice that I can pick up one reward at the end, but it's quite meaningless if I don't know what it does. I just blindly make choices here. I like your sprites and the fog, but the resolution bakes it seem like your game is broken. It's hard to explain. The crosshair just looks different by each inch I move it, for example. Like the engine can't figure out how to scale up your pixels. It definitely has more content since last time, so I'm happy for your progress.

SledFree2
TL;DR: Nice finished game. A good example how to practice game dev by fully executing and exploring a single idea.
I don't know if you have changed anything since its first release, so maybe I'm just projecting, but it felt harder than the last time I tried it, so thanks for that! If anyone would like to know: this is a perfect example of a comfy game. Just sliding down the hill in your cozy jacket on your sledge which you got from your grandpa, then you get back in, sit down next to the fire place to let your mother's sweet hot chocolate warm you from the inside. I like your drawing style. Be proud of yourself: you have managed to finish a game. Best of luck for you in the future! By the way: won't you finish Cony Chaos? I liked that OC.
>>
>>164948349

Sconces, tables, sudans, drapery, statues, alters, those platform things that are kinda short...
>>
>>164948349
A gay furry dog burying bones in his asshole.
>>
>>164948564
Card Tactix
TL;DR: Good idea, feels weird, don't know why.
Like always: I like your idea and your game, yet something is weirdly off, and I don't know what it is. I guess you want to turn it into a turn based game, but it does not have that feeling, since most of the time I move where I want and cast as many spells as I want. Okay, sometimes the monster interrupts me, but don't know why. After every 2nd spell cast maybe? Or do I have some sort of mana pool? I like the idea that I'm walking around and do battles with cards, but, I don't know. Sorry for the lack of good advice. Since I always draw the same cards it makes me question why I don't have a regular spell bar. I guess it'll get more complex as the game progresses on. Maybe letting the player put together his own deck? Keep it up!

Tussle
TL;DR: I couldn't play it.
I couldn't figure out how to navigate in the menu. I literally started to press every button on the keyboard until I ended up in a game world. I could walk around and fall off. After I fell of, my character automatically started to float to the left, until I pressed something. I guess that's a bug. Well, keep it up, it would be nice to have a fighting game. Sorry for me sucking this much, but using more than arrows+enter/mouse in a menu is beyond my comprehension.

Placeholder Title
TL;DR: I couldn't play it, and it makes me ashamed of myself.
I opened the spell inventory, and couldn't figure out how to close it. I restarted the game. In any other occasions, I would just drop this, but since you have a special corner in my heart, I've given it another chance. I like that I can punch guys in the air why I'm also flying with them. It was fun until I didn't opened up that screen again.

That's it for now. I just opened the game list page at around 10 and downloaded everything, so maybe there are more entries. I'll check back later.
>>
>>164948632
i was waiting for someone to say it

>>164948658
> I'll check back later
>>>>>> 60 more games of this
>>
>>164948536
Better than nothing
>>
File: AnubisConfused.png (2KB, 171x93px) Image search: [Google]
AnubisConfused.png
2KB, 171x93px
>>164948632
>>
>>164948692
Well, fuck you then.
>>
>>164948298
Thanks, my dude.
>>164948352
Yeah. I thought about leaving them out, but they're kinda necessary. Maybe SledFree3(D) will do it better.
>>164948390
Nah, It's a sequel to a game I did last year. Was only in development for about 2 weeks while working 40 hour weeks.
>>164948564
Thanks feedback-bro. I'm glad to see the setting really resonated with you, you seem to understand exactly what I was going for.
I do want to come back to Cony Chaos. Mithril Miner too. I've added quite a bit to the design documents for both of them since I released them, but right now my main focus is God's Gift and I don't think any of the games would get the effort they deserve if I tried to do them all at once. Here's hoping that some day there's a fully developed version of Cony Chaos.
>>
File: 1010.jpg (50KB, 602x900px) Image search: [Google]
1010.jpg
50KB, 602x900px
>tfw about to go to sleep
>tfw you wake up and there are 70 demos to play
>>
File: 345510602633898257.jpg (49KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
345510602633898257.jpg
49KB, 500x500px
>>164949128
>>
File: 65436236.jpg (48KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
65436236.jpg
48KB, 1280x720px
>>164949128
>70
>>
>>164949128
>Asymmetric tits
Eugh
>>
i was going to play all demoday games but i played monolith first and its so good i dont think anyother games will come close at all so fuck them
>>
>>164949340
Different strokes and all but that game is shaping up really nicely. I don't even enjoy the genre generally.
>>
File: godot test.webm (1MB, 800x450px) Image search: [Google]
godot test.webm
1MB, 800x450px
Installed and trying to learn some "go dooo"
posting fresh progress of mine

i am planing to make adventure shooter game

i hope i ll get anime girl to star a main character

pray for me
>>
File: 345510602635512730.jpg (145KB, 700x990px) Image search: [Google]
345510602635512730.jpg
145KB, 700x990px
It's not that I can't come up with comfy game ideas, but I can't think them through. Some examples
>a game where you sail from island to island, with a similar feel like Zelda WW
Okay, but then what? What do you do on the islands? What do you do after you've visited all islands?
>a city building/managing game like Stronghold
So you build woodcutters, hunters, apple pickers, houses, then what happens? No idea.
>fishing game
You fish, and then what do you do with it?
>flower raising game
>Again, you plant, water, etc a flower, then what? You sell it to buy what? New seeds? I don't know.
>witch potion brewing game
>You gather ingredients, make the potion for the costumer, then what? what od you do with the money? Buy more ingredients? No clue.
>>
>>164949807
jesus, help this man
>>
>>164949921
Wow I fucked up the greentext for some reason.
>>
>>164949807
>sloped collision
>idle animation
seems pretty good progress
>>
>>164920858

Just resources + whatever you actually use in the build.
>>
>>164949807
I find that graphics oddly satisfying to look at.
>>
>>164950154
thanks
>>
>>164949921
YOU'RE DOING IT BROSKI !!
YOU'RE THINKING CREATIVELY !!

All you have to do now is follow those ideas with more ideas, and you've already proven you can do that

> What do you do on the islands?

your original starting point was "what do you do ???" and now you've narrowed that down to "there are islands and a boat and an ocean between them." all you need now is to do the same thing you just did where you came up with a bunch of ideas, except they're all oceans and islands related

maybe the islands have fighters on em for you to punch, maybe the islands have trees on em for you to cut down and turn into bigger boats, maybe the islands have ruins on em you can climb all over

you're literally doing it
you just need to keep doing it
>>
>>164949921
>What do you do on the islands?
Mechanic based puzzles with treasure rewards.
>What do you do after you've visited all islands?
Use the treasure rewards to unlock the final treasure.

City building games have all the gameplay in the city building, so that already seems like enough.

You've got the right idea for progression with the rest of them. Just allow the player to unlock more/better things as they succeed.
>>
>>164949921
You have stopped asking for ideas and are now pretty much asking for someone to design a game for you so you can then mash out the work on it. The ideas are fine and lend themselves to a few (if not many more) possibilities. But try to do some of that legwork yourself now. No one, unless they are really bored, is going to design a game for you. Not even being mean, just trying to let you know why this is a useless question (mainly because you just don't like the valid answers you are getting).
>>
>>164949921
ideas are just an idea. building the actual game around the idea is your job.
>>
>>164949807
this looks like pilotredsun but a game
>>
File: trio.png (19KB, 512x512px) Image search: [Google]
trio.png
19KB, 512x512px
Paper Bugs demo is up
https://paperbugdev.itch.io/paper-bugs
Some bugs might have slipped by but I tried my best and that's what matters
>>
File: japanese mechanic.jpg (387KB, 1280x1789px) Image search: [Google]
japanese mechanic.jpg
387KB, 1280x1789px
>>164950229
I hope I can use this mechanic on some of the islands
>>
Is it a good idea to use royalty-free music?
>>
Damn, monolith, I'm impressed. Everything's so polished. I think you're gonna make it.
>>
File: mech21.webm (2MB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
mech21.webm
2MB, 1280x720px
https://itch.io/jam/agdg-demo-day-12/rate/110388

I suppose I should add linux and osx builds too, but I'm not sure at all if the gamepad stuff will work.

Also, you all have gamepads, right?
>>
>>164950453
not if hans zimmer offers to work with you
>>
>>164950453
Also, if I made a remix of a royalty-free piece, is it fine?
>>
>>164950453
I opted to not use music at all when I listened to 'royalty-free' music
>>
>>164950000
yes it is lmao, put any of your shaders through an offline shader compiler and it'll use surprisingly few instruction slots, generally only very expensive post-processing shaders should use that many instructions
>>
>>164949807
Somehow I find this artstyle incredibly appealing
>>
>>164950586
this, don't waste your time trying to find decent royalty-free music and rationalizing using them like "eh, this one doesn't sound THAT bad... never mind who am i kidding"
>>
>>164948335
God, how do you want me to dev when you keep posting stuff like this?
>>
File: physics.webm (1MB, 792x580px) Image search: [Google]
physics.webm
1MB, 792x580px
I figured my game needs more fluids. So now characters can puke as well.

This happens if they are under a lot of stress/panic, or if you throw shit at them (literally).

If another character sees this, they panic. So the mom panicked and then she got puke on herself, which made her puke too. Then the kid accidentally fell on the knife head first and beheaded himself.

Fun thing is, that "fluid" is physics based and you can make rocket propelled heads almost.
>>
File: puke.webm (1MB, 804x588px) Image search: [Google]
puke.webm
1MB, 804x588px
>>164950801
Whoops, posted the bug video. This is the right one.
>>
arghh, can't find a good gameplay music for my demo
>>
>>164950801
>>164950931
Love your stuff man.
>>
>>164950801
"ghost trick except you're a fuckin' asshole: the game"
>>
File: Gifintro.gif (2MB, 320x248px) Image search: [Google]
Gifintro.gif
2MB, 320x248px
https://itch.io/jam/agdg-demo-day-12/rate/110392

Whew ok well here it is. The camera jumps suddenly sometimes and I didn't have time to fix it. Also alot of sounds are missing and the music/sounds that are in there don't perfectly fit. But I was rushing. Now to get my 4 hours of sleep and go to work. Hope you enjoy it!
>>
>>164948335
This is a really good picture
>>
File: 1479220009558.png (26KB, 523x412px) Image search: [Google]
1479220009558.png
26KB, 523x412px
>>164950801
>>164950931
Fucking amazing. Never knew I needed something like this in my life.
>>
>>164950931
>>164950801
fucking kek
>>
>>164947960
Why even attempt to create a game when you can just do a low effort walking sim like firewatch or tv show like telltaleshit and get all the money?
>>
>>164951567
> why even attempt to create a game when you can just create a game
>>
>>164949921

dont make it a fucking boring fishing game, make you punch the swordfish to death
>>
File: 1438417187978.jpg (115KB, 472x472px) Image search: [Google]
1438417187978.jpg
115KB, 472x472px
>>164950801
>>164950931
This is the best thing ever.
>>
>>164951687
That's not comfy though.
>>
>>164951567
Are you attempting to say making that sort of game is easier than making a game with gameplay?
Good fucking luck making all the assets needed for that, not to mention making a story that is decent enough that people want to see what happens.
>>
File: 1474499114580.png (728KB, 1165x1075px) Image search: [Google]
1474499114580.png
728KB, 1165x1075px
>when you find relation constraint in motionbuilder
the only thing I dont know yet is how to create a new vector
>>
>>164951713
fish for waifus, then.

You have to keep fishing and getting a bigger and juicier waifu
>>
opinions on the Gamedev Humble Bundle AGDG?
It's so cheap I took it anyway so I can have something to do during the holidays, but I'm curious to know if others have used the software on offer.
>Spriter Pro with a few packs of sprites
>ClickTeam Fusion
>Marmoset Hexels
>Some others I forget the names of
>>
>tfw haven't touched dev for almost a week
i just don't feel the drive... i'm not even burned out.. just tired..
>>
File: 003161.png (173KB, 365x445px) Image search: [Google]
003161.png
173KB, 365x445px
>>164951782

Like this?
>>
File: ctes20.gif (3MB, 315x240px) Image search: [Google]
ctes20.gif
3MB, 315x240px
I did a demo day: https://itch.io/jam/agdg-demo-day-12/rate/96205

Definitely no gameplay changes since the last demo day, just the new lighting systems. Quite disappointed really, I didn't finish nearly as much as I wanted
>>
>>164951817
I don't know if Spriter or Spline is better.
ClickTeam Fusion is garbage.
Hexels is neat, but is anyone going to make a game with that art style?
The rest is extra ClickTeam garbage, plus some more Spriter stuff.
Pyxel Edit is good.
Voxatron and Pico-8 are both cute, but not really for making a full game. They're more for little hobby things.

Overall I'd say the pack is okay but not really all that useful.
>>
>>164952418
if you are using libgdx spline >> spriter. spline is from the same guys. however it costs a small fortune.
>>
Oh shit demo day is today? I forgot
>>
>>164951713
Tickle the swordfish to death? With cooking mama graphics?
>>
File: 2017-01-08_06-30-44.png (583KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
2017-01-08_06-30-44.png
583KB, 1920x1080px
https://itch.io/jam/agdg-demo-day-12/rate/110393
my puzzle platformer shader adventure is up. We didn't get a chance to make a tutorial, and there is only one level right now. All the mechanics are in though!

I think I'll post a second build near the end of demo day. Feedback welcome!
>>
I have a problem in Unity... I imported a model and try to give this model a path, however, in the position and rotation of the object is completely different than my unimported models in Unity somehow.

My Player object for example is at Position/Rotation 0/0, but the imported model is at a totally different place, although it has the same coordinates actually.
>>
>>164951818
get out there and dev, tonight is ham night! na just have a rest.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cs5LkCHaUBo
>>
>>164951713
How is fishing comfy? The hook frequently gets stuck in the fish's gills and you have to tear it out while the fish squirms and bleeds
>>
>>164948469
>TL;DR: I couldn't play it.
sorry anon i did a bad job hinting at it, but if you go down on the second screen instead of charging the enemy you can find a working gun. maybe ill modify the dialog in the beginning for now

i'm really glad about the parts you liked though
>>
>>164952750
>how is fishing comfy
t. numale with no dad
>>
>>164952661
NVM, just noticed the model had a parent with different coordinates which apparently influenced its own.
>>
>>164952316
Runs surprisingly well for a Java game, amigo. I like the lights.
Is it me or did you tone down the enemies a little bit, shooting-wise? I remember the game being harder.
>>
>>164952804
>projecting
>>
I'm finding it really hard to make AI for my game with simultaneous turns. I've realised that I'll probably need to cheat a bit and let enemies know where the player is about to move to, but I can't really figure out exactly what sort of patterns they should be following to be fun and varied. So far the enemy that moves to where the character is at the start of the turn with some variation of over/undershooting it and the one that fires a projectile somewhere between where the player is and will be seem the most successful. The totally random one is really annoying and is not suitable for an actual enemy, or a common one at least.
>>
File: REEEE.jpg (82KB, 902x426px) Image search: [Google]
REEEE.jpg
82KB, 902x426px
>>164952919
>t. butthurt fish mad as fuck that he's about to become my dinner
>>
>>164952776
It's a neat idea, by the way. I tried to talk to the computer in case it gives me an upgrade like most computers do in Metroid games. I didn't think I could go down there, since there's a line on the ground, and my senses told me that it's a ground.

I also liked that opening sequence with the black and withe room, even if I don't see its purpose yet.

I usually like your games, so, keep it up!
>>
File: dTzeys.png (28KB, 315x250px) Image search: [Google]
dTzeys.png
28KB, 315x250px
Even though it is currently local multi-player only, please give it a try.

https://itch.io/jam/agdg-demo-day-12/rate/84433
>>
>>164952750
>he thinks fishing is about catching fish
kek, now we know who has never been fishing.
>>
shiiiet i missed the deadline, how long ago the submissions opened?
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4R5vSIZxr0M
is watching shit like this gonna help me write a simple 2d game from scratch or should i just give up trying to actually learn programming and just use an engine?
>>
>sucking so much at fishing you have to come up with excuses as to why you never catch any fish
>>
>>164953263
Seven hours ago
>>
Card Tacix dev I love your game. I don't exactly get the a+b stuff in the draw/recycle button, but otherwise it's really fun and intuitive.
>>
>>164952316
yo this is
this is actual fun
got that 90s vidya energy

my java fucking mangled it though, i couldn't see any of the pickups or the gun I was holding and there was ghosting around the edges of things
i guess that's some linux shit
>>
>>164953308
fishing is minutes of boredom followed by hours of measurement.
t. zelda
>>
>>164953263
>i missed the deadline
No you didn't. You still have 1 day and 17 hours.
>>
>>164953060
I was hoping to teach one way platforms at that point by using the enemy to encourage the player to go down. But if its not clear that they can go down that is a problem. Maybe I should instead use another safe room and have another character cross it first? I'd like to animate the doctor a bit in the beginning anyway.
>>
>>164953305
If your goal is to learn how to program then learn it properly with a proper language. If your goal is to just like make game and all you want to do is simply shit jump into an engine.
>>
>>164953480
nobody plays the demos posted past the first hour
everyone only plays those ones posted right after the start
>>
File: 20170108045215_1.jpg (118KB, 1047x1046px) Image search: [Google]
20170108045215_1.jpg
118KB, 1047x1046px
I'm goin to bed
see yall tomorrow
play my game if you have VR stuff
https://itch.io/jam/agdg-demo-day-12/rate/110306
>>
>>164953521
This meme is stupid as fuck. I always wait until submission has ended before I download and play any of the games.
>>
>>164953495
well i started learning code because i want to someday make a game, but i also want to understand how every little thing works, so i feel like i need to start from the basics. I'm not in any hurry to make a game.
What is a proper language?
I'd do it in C but any tutorial i've found is either C++ C#, Java or some other crap
>>
>>164953521
>>164953621
yeah i don't know why people keep saying it
i've always played anything I could get running

these days that's 6 games instead of 20+ but I'll take what I can get
>>
>>164953703
>2017
>having shit pc
apply yourself pajeet. attend an IT college, the go work for miscrosoft support and buy a new pc with your minimum wages
>>
>>164953621
I don't wait until the submission has ended. But I do check back every day to play any newly submitted games. The person who keeps saying that is probably just one of those shitposters trying to discourage yesdevs for participating.
>>
>>164953703
>i've always played anything I could get running
Except, you can't get anything running, then you're incredibly vitriolic and don't offer any actual feedback
>>
>>164953703
>>164953621
i am thankful for players like you guys, but not everybody waits until the end, especially if there are many entries. the algorithm itch uses to order entries is also not clear but seems to be influenced somewhat by submission time
>>
>>164952874
You can squeeze a fair bit out of Java if you avoid object allocation like the plague it is, eventually you reach the point where you just wish you'd started with C/C++ though.

Enemies haven't changed mechanically, but I did reposition them when I threw together a script to export objects and lights from blender instead of doing it by hand, so they're not quite as bullshit ambush-ey as before

>>164953363
That's exactly what I'm going for, I'm glad people get the vibe. I'm at the point where I'm happy with the mechanics so barring some bugfixes, I'm mostly going to just be adding more weapons, enemies, and levels now.

Yeah, I'm regretting Java hard but it's too late to go back and rewrite everything now, I've tried to use as old a version of OpenGL as I can to keep it compatible but that only helps so far when I'm fighting LibGDX's internal batching as well.
>>
File: 1483666306949.jpg (375KB, 625x790px) Image search: [Google]
1483666306949.jpg
375KB, 625x790px
Where is world of horrordev?
>>
1.What education do you have?
2.Where did you learn programming
3.How is your progress going
>>
>>164953935
It literally doesn't matter. Devs should still submit their game even if they submit it last second. They aren't going to miss out on as many players as you seem to think they will. Trust me, plenty of people still play games submitted "late".
>>
File: 1469847787763.png (36KB, 112x112px) Image search: [Google]
1469847787763.png
36KB, 112x112px
ghostman dev upload a cover image ffs
>>
>>164954102
foul bachelor degree in economics
self learned
too slow, i am not lazy or slow, but even with average scope being OMA just takes so much time to get anything done
>>
>>164954210
I submitted ~27 seconds before the deadline once
Actually thats when the upload was complete, it was not by choice
>>
>>164954102
1. 1 semester of college, before dropping out to work on the game
2. partly above, just kinda figured the rest out myself
3. we're about 75-80% done.
>>
>>164954102
>finished med school
>self learned
>wish I had more time to dev
>>
>>164953892
wat

>>164953985
the java problem is almost certainly because the default ubuntu JRE is an "open source implementation of the java platform" and not the actual real one

everything important worked except the item boxes though, so it's at least *playable* even on bootleg java

>>164954102
1. hahaha
2. hahahaha
3. fuck
>>
>>164953305
watch handmade hero
>>
>>164954210
Oh yeah? Can you show me your studies to support this claim?
I can look at my itch dashboard and know it isn't true.
>>
>>164954262
Sorry.
>>
>>164954487
the better your game is the more people outside /agdg/ will check it, to a point demo day will hardly even matter
>>
>>164954102
1: none
2: i didn't
3: see 2
>>
>>164954405
>finished med school
have you ever fucked a qt who was under general anesthesia?
that was always my dream
>>
>>164948536
>>164948787
Here's the updated version, animating the hands is hard when he doesn't have any shoulders. This represents at least 3 hours of work ;_;

13 frames total, first and last frame are identical. I need to create a spritesheet from this by making each image opaque (remove canvas) and identically spacing each frame out. Right? Then I just gotta make sure the engine can map out the texture correctly.
>>
>>164948658
>TUSSLE

It uses the standard zxc button layout by default, but can change it to whatever you like. I don't think that's really all that unheard of. Why would I add mouse navigation to a game that doesn't have any mouse input at all?

As for the game itself, it's smash bros. Without an opponent there's not too much to do. Noted about the respawn bug. Looks like you keep your momentum if you die while holding a direction. I've managed to fix that.
>>
File: thingshappening.webm (674KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
thingshappening.webm
674KB, 1280x720px
Progress! movement with ramps and wierd surfaces!

what died in a shitcoding mess of raycast loops in Unity took me a few hours to work out/unfuck from scratch in Gamemaker. I just need more time I swear.

Now to set this aside and make pong / tetris with menus.
>>
File: testgif2.gif (121KB, 1280x1024px) Image search: [Google]
testgif2.gif
121KB, 1280x1024px
>>164954637
fuck, I forgot the gif again somehow.
>>
>>164953665
All the ones you listed is fine. What I said stems mainly from GameMaker's built in language (GML). You can still learn some logic with it but you can also get away with terrible coding practice because it is so forgiving. So it is perfectly fine for making small games but won't take you too far ( and maybe even in terrible directions) when it comes to actual coding. If you have the drive to learn and apply you will be just fine, anon. Don't worry too much about it. Goodluck to you!
>>
>>164954747
looks like what an alien would picture a human walking looks like if all he knew was a text description
>>
>>164935037
Posted this a few days ago, but the only reply I got said you weren't working on the game anymore, so I'm not sure if you have changed something for DD12 since then.

- Tutorial levels feel a little slow, unless you intentionally wanted it to be slow paced you should make it a little bit faster to get through so is less tedious, I'm thinking about details like making the doors easier to break at the start and gradually getting stronger as you advance on the game.
- Not sure if it is inteded to be that way but summons have a hard time following me and usually get stuck. Makes you go back for them a lot and sometimes you can't really unstuck them.
- A health indicator for summons would be useful. Nothing too complicated or fancy, maybe change the color of their aura to red when they are low on HP. Would work great with the Mend skill.
- Enemies dying and summons dying need distinctive sound effects. Maybe have the the enemies screaming?
>>
>>164954575
>have you ever fucked a qt who was under general anesthesia
nah, almost all patients we had for maxillofacial surgery were fat old women with goiter or old dudes with cancer
>>
>>164954032
Where can I follow progress of this game?
>>
>>164953665
go python

will take you a while
google mit sc6.001 to learn
then google oop design patterns and buy it/download pdf

then this may help gameprogrammingpatterns.com/contents.html
>>
>>164954487
I can look at my itch dashboard and confirm it is true.
>>
File: 1447568605413.png (11KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
1447568605413.png
11KB, 500x500px
>>164953665
>What is a proper language?
who cares
its fucking wild west in game programming, all engineering process gets thrown out the window and what is most important is getting shit done and fast
just like make gaem

ideally we would have more opportunity to do proper engineering though
>>
>>164954948
>mit sc6.001
sorry, its 6.00sc, don't go 6.001 unless you want to die
>>
File: cover.png (4KB, 315x250px) Image search: [Google]
cover.png
4KB, 315x250px
here is my demo
https://muscularhair.itch.io/helleton

i will try to play everyone's demo and give feedback, but i am currently very sick. if there are any game breaking bugs or serious problems with the game, i will attempt to fix them, but i will most likely be sleeping the entire day or in bed playing games.
>>
>>164954562
to be fair i dont think how good a game is really matters to getting people to try it so much as having a good cover image
>>
Godot 3D problem I need help with

I imported a character with bones and animations and everything using the better collada exported and it's all fine.

What I want to do is attach a MeshInstance to a specific bone in the engine. Couldn't find anything about that in the docs. Anyone have an idea?
>>
>>164955179
BoneAttachment Node.
>>
>>164955179
is there a name for the thing when a character lands and he kicks up dust?
>>
>>164954948
>then google oop design patterns and buy it/download pdf
Don't do this.
>>
File: question marion.png (264KB, 350x390px) Image search: [Google]
question marion.png
264KB, 350x390px
Can you put a webm as a cover image on itchi.io?
>>
>>164955656
think not, but you can put up a gif.
>>
File: DemoDay.webm (2MB, 960x540px) Image search: [Google]
DemoDay.webm
2MB, 960x540px
https://nathan-dearth.itch.io/thedungeontrials

Gz to everyone who is/will be ready for demoday.

From last demo day a lot has changed, and I eould like your opinions on the game so far.
>>
File: scr04.png (16KB, 512x288px) Image search: [Google]
scr04.png
16KB, 512x288px
>>164954032
Fixing remaining stuff, I will have the demo uploaded in 2-3 hours probably
>>164954938
http://desertgame.tumblr.com/
>>
>>164955704
Do you know a good tool to convert a video to gif?
>>
File: oh_shit.png (78KB, 399x268px) Image search: [Google]
oh_shit.png
78KB, 399x268px
>>164955758
>>
>>164955540
why not?
>>
File: 1452349982107.jpg (65KB, 604x403px) Image search: [Google]
1452349982107.jpg
65KB, 604x403px
https://untouch.itch.io/cash-out-demo-day-12

heres a demo
its the demo on my store page so there's still some shilling left in, just want to know if the difficulty is too high for the demo, or if theres shit that doesnt make sense
>>
>>164955814
FFMPEG > Convert to series of PNGs
Import as series of images into Photoshop
Export as GIF

easy
>>
>tfw have no game
>>
File: Capture.png (8KB, 396x125px) Image search: [Google]
Capture.png
8KB, 396x125px
>>164955271
That actually worked perfectly, thank you anon.
I hope I got the hierarchy right.

>>164955494
Particles?
>>
>>164955814
if you have the software and don't mind overkill, i used adobe premiere and exported to animated gif. mainly because it gave me complete control over export quality and framerate which results in better looking gifs (people want to see eye catching images)
>>
>>164954850
Sounds about right, I'm in no way an artist or animator this is purely done as a learning experience. Anyone know how I should go about removing the background color now that I don't need the onion features?
>>
>>164955871
Because design patterns are solutions looking for problems, and most only exist because Java didn't and still doesn't have very good functional support. Most other languages do, now.
>>
File: ueamatsu1.jpg (41KB, 400x268px) Image search: [Google]
ueamatsu1.jpg
41KB, 400x268px
>>164954102
1) MSc in Computer Science, currently in PhD that I'm failing gracefully at
2) University. Only programming I did before was with RPG maker 2000 when I was about 12. Never did anything after that till studying though (except for like one course in high school, where we learned visual basic or some shit).
3) It's going alright I guess. I'm just slowed down a bit thinking about how shit the indie scene around here is and whether I really wanna do that to myself. If I actually go through with this I'd be an absolute fucking outsider. Especially with my attitude towards the IGDA. Also self-employment is an absolutely unaffordable mess around here.
>>
>>164955025
Well yes, but he also specified he would like to make a game eventually but is more concerned with learning at the moment.
>>
>>164955953
Yeah that's correct. The BoneAttachment needs to be the child of a skeleton to select the bones from it.
>>
>>164956007
good class fuckery helps you decouple a lot , how do you do observers, notifiers, or switch components at runtime with functional programming without making a clusterfuck?
>>
>>164955814
http://ezgif.com/video-to-gif
>>
>>164955025
>what is most important is getting shit done and fast
This should always be true. You can write good code and get shit done fast. "Engineering practices" are almost always wastes of time and are solved by not being a brainless code monkey and using a decent language.

>>164956147
>observers, notifiers
These are just overly intrusive callbacks. Why should every "observable" object have a list of what are essentially callbacks, which leads to tons of duplication and boilerplate, rather than just one callback that could handle the broadcasting to a list?

>switch components at runtime
Why would this ever be a clusterfuck? That's like saying changing a value is a clusterfuck.
>>
File: wrong.jpg (6KB, 203x203px) Image search: [Google]
wrong.jpg
6KB, 203x203px
>>164956007
>Because design patterns are solutions looking for problems, and most only exist because Java
>>
>>164956225
Oh my god, dude.
>>
File: 0.webm (2MB, 1920x1200px) Image search: [Google]
0.webm
2MB, 1920x1200px
>>164953985
>>164952316
Another Linux user here with the same problem. Seems to be caused by one of the shaders using GLSL 1.40, open source drivers only support up to 1.30 in compatibility profile.

Also, I got stuck in a wall and died when I hit crouch.
>>
>>164956225
ahaha oh wow
>>
>>164951143
ive never seen you post progress here before.
>>
>>164956263
>You can write good code and get shit done fast.
This. Same goes for commenting -- commenting literally slows down dev and makes you're codebase less maintainable.

>>164951143
>whodev
Filtered.
>>
>>164956263
>These are just overly intrusive callbacks. Why should every "observable" object have a list of what are essentially callbacks, which leads to tons of duplication and boilerplate, rather than just one callback that could handle the broadcasting to a list?

you just described notifiers, i agree they are better than observers, but observers can help with logging/io and other things that need to be applied by different objects

>Why would this ever be a clusterfuck? That's like saying changing a value is a clusterfuck.
the point of components is class polymorphism
>>
>>164956285
h-here we go
>>
>>164954102
1. Finishing my bachelor's degree in Information Processing Science, going for Master's degree next Fall.
2. I started dabbling with ActionScript 2.0 when I was about to enter high school. Rolled in an open university program that had an introductory course to Java programming. After that in my free time I dabbled some more with C# and JavaScript (primarily in Unity), and then in University rolled for C and C++ crash courses.
3. Fixing some little quirks with slopes in my game, since I originally didn't design the collision code with that in mind.
>>
>>164956225
Jesus christ. Who makes that kind of trash?
>>
You are all great good luck on your games
>>
>>164951782
>mermaid fishing game
never knew I wanted this
>>
>>164956285
Design patterns were invented to help other people understand existing heavily OOP Java code. That's why most of them would be trivial constructs with good support for functional programming (like Strategy, Command, Visitor, Observer, Factory, etc.) or are simply useless (like Singleton).

The good ones like Builder or Decorator are so simple that they're not even really worth noting. If the code is easy to understand in the first place you don't need to name it by a design pattern to help others.

>>164956519
>you just described notifiers, i agree they are better than observers, but observers can help with logging/io and other things that need to be applied by different objects
The only difference between so-called "notifiers" and observers is that observable objects maintain their own lists of observers. Most languages make this impossible (for good reason) without either straight up duplication or repeated boilerplate, because you don't have multiple inheritance and then you're fucked if you want multiple things that can be observed by different sets of observers.

If the observable thing stores a callback, you can put the logic of broadcasting the event to every observer (another callback) in a list into that callback, and what's more you can reuse it easily as a combinator.

>the point of components is class polymorphism
The point of components is composition. Are you saying classes lead to clusterfucks? I agree but I don't think that helps your point.
>>
File: elementalKnight.png (2MB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
elementalKnight.png
2MB, 1920x1080px
For Elemental Knight Dev:

Put the key in a separate rendering layer to avoid any interaction with the regular world lighting.
>>
File: crying4x.jpg (10KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
crying4x.jpg
10KB, 480x360px
>>164956225
>>164956706
>>
>>164956225
please stop, your game looks okay.
>>
File: 1474315617359.png (109KB, 600x788px) Image search: [Google]
1474315617359.png
109KB, 600x788px
As with the last demo day and the one before that, I am offering my shitty commentary services.
I will play a bit of your game while commenting it with my heavy yuropeean accent and then provide a youtube link for the video.
Since there are too many demos for me to go through them all, then if you are interested in my commentary, simply reply to this post with the link to your demo page.
>>
>>164956248
thanks anon
>>
>>164956016
Where are you from, mate?
>>
>>164956995
nice meme
>>
>>164956769
>without either straight up duplication or repeated boilerplate
i think the point is you store pointers, not the objects

>If the observable thing stores a callback, you can put the logic of broadcasting the event to every observer (another callback) in a list into that callback, and what's more you can reuse it easily as a combinator.
Sounds like notifiers to me: one observer which does the full range of callbacks

Which is funny cause you are basically decoupling observers, a design pattern

>The point of components is composition.
Yeah, but good implementation of composition is to make a base component which various implementations inherit, so then you can switch through them at runtime and get different behaviours

>Are you saying classes lead to clusterfucks? I agree but I don't think that helps your point.

No, the opposite, fewer classes means more branching in a single file, more classes means smaller files and more understandable code, which means less bugs, or at least more confined and easy to figure if you do appropiate testing
>>
>>164956706
What's it like being complete rubbish>
>>
using System.Collections;
using UnityEngine;

public class DestroyByBoundary : MonoBehaviour
{
void OnTriggerExit(Collider other)
{
Destroy(other.gameObject);
}

}

I am using this script to destroy stuff which moves out of my boundary, ie camera view. However, it only works for my player shots somehow, but not for the enemy objects... Any idea why this is not working the enemies? is it perhaps because I sent them out of the boundary through an animation and not by script?
>>
File: progress.2017.01.07.webm (2MB, 600x334px) Image search: [Google]
progress.2017.01.07.webm
2MB, 600x334px
>>164956995
I'd like your thoughts on mine, when I upload it. It'll be called cybership and look like this
>>
>>164957062
canus is the mascot of agdg
>>
File: 1441841801886.jpg (51KB, 562x730px) Image search: [Google]
1441841801886.jpg
51KB, 562x730px
>>164956225
>>
>>164956995
If you've got a player two, I'd like it if you gave TUSSLE a shot, but there's not really any single player content to speak of.
>>
>>164957129
NICE
>>
>>164957103
>i think the point is you store pointers, not the objects
Code duplication.

>Sounds like notifiers to me: one observer which does the full range of callbacks
>Which is funny cause you are basically decoupling observers, a design pattern
The difference is that it's now not a pattern, it's a reusable function. "Pattern" should always raise eyebrows because it indicates lack of code reuse.

>Yeah, but good implementation of composition is to make a base component which various implementations inherit, so then you can switch through them at runtime and get different behaviours
Not necessarily. But it's not like FP doesn't have a notion of dynamic dispatch. First class functions are basically the concept of dynamic dispatch boiled down and made into a feature.

>No, the opposite, fewer classes means more branching in a single file, more classes means smaller files and more understandable code, which means less bugs, or at least more confined and easy to figure if you do appropiate testing
This is true for abstraction in general, not just classes. And classes are a comparatively poor means of abstraction.
>>
>>164957296
Sorry, i am here by myself so i am limited to single player only.
>>
>>164957029
central yuroland
The one with all the bureaucracy but none of the economic incentives
It probably would be better if I just went to the Czech republic, which is basically next door.
>>
File: 1472314772961.jpg (38KB, 421x313px) Image search: [Google]
1472314772961.jpg
38KB, 421x313px
>there's source in the thread again

WHY IS THIS ALLOWED
>>
File: 2016-12-30-0638-22.webm (3MB, 800x600px) Image search: [Google]
2016-12-30-0638-22.webm
3MB, 800x600px
My entry. Sorry for the lack of chaika.

https://itch.io/jam/agdg-demo-day-12/rate/110400
>>
>>164957497
>Czech republic,
were full
also the only good thing here is the free health care
>>
I was actually enjoying the peaceful lack of the sourceposter shitposter. time to fire up those filters again.
>>
>>164957585
Also I removed the epilepsy-bait for the actual game, this webm is pretty old
>>
>>164957585
Epilepsy warning
>>
File: fuckyourider.png (41KB, 640x464px) Image search: [Google]
fuckyourider.png
41KB, 640x464px
>>164956225
>>164956931
>>
>>164957585
>no chaika
dropped
>>
is it true that releasing demos of your game is detrimental? in that players could see the current version as the final product and write your game off.

basically it can give off a bad impression.
>>
File: oh-my.png (38KB, 160x154px) Image search: [Google]
oh-my.png
38KB, 160x154px
>>164956706
>full sail
>halifax
>>
>>164956625
thanks anon wavedash is coming along great we have a lot of great archetypes like the quick bruiser and sword user with lots of swift movements and also an interesting take the "space animal class" our archetypes are similar to those you would in your traditional RPG like archer mage knight and tank

we got a ton of great feedback on reddit and are looking to release our game with 8 characters by the end of this year
>>
>>164957375
>Code duplication.
Depends if the subject is static or not desu, anyways i dunno if object duplication is code duplication perse, you are not writing the same twice, maybe you are initializating stuff more than once, but you can trump that with singletons/static classes

>The difference is that it's now not a pattern, it's a reusable function. "Pattern" should always raise eyebrows because it indicates lack of code reuse.
a reusable function is a design pattern

>First class functions are basically the concept of dynamic dispatch boiled down and made into a feature.
I honestly know almost 0 of FP, but as far as i've seen its all about reutilizable patterns and clever recursion

>This is true for abstraction in general, not just classes. And classes are a comparatively poor means of abstraction.
Can't argue with this, you are right, but designs patterns are not necesarilly about classes, its a way of thinking code in reusable chunks instead of in a purely imperative fashion, a pure class approach to them comes from thinking in Java
>>
>>164957894
Just make it clear that it's not the final product. There are enough people who believe that a beta release of the game could basically change entirely that I don't think you'll have an issue.
>>
>>164957894
>basically it can give off a bad impression.
that only happens if your game is bad, like >>164956706
>>
>>164958024
i dunno man, i've put out 2 versions of my game in alpha so far and even had media coverage, but the comments i get makes it seem like people view the game as done already. i even have a message as the game loads that it's a work in progress..

it makes me regret putting any demo out.
>>
>>164956995
Not sure if you're the guy who did 2 on my game already, but give a go anyway, curious how the levels go without prior knowledge.

https://itch.io/jam/agdg-demo-day-12/rate/35969
>>
>>164957497
poland?
>>
>>164957668
>>164957585
I know the black and white shading means the visible area to the player,
but it kind of looks like every box is a huge tall pilar viewed from above.
pretty neat.
>>
>>164958263
I checked, and i haven't got a play request from you before.
Okay, gonna try it out.
>>
>>164958007
>you are not writing the same twice
I suppose you could use composition, so that instead of writing object.addObserver(...) you do object.event.addObserver(...), and event is an instance of a class that encapsulates the list under a simple API. But now this means that you can do object.event.fire(...) which is probably not what you want!

In order to prevent that, you need the object itself to encapsulate the observer list and that involves boilerplate. Unless you make the object only have a single callback and put the observer list inside that callback, that is.

>a reusable function is a design pattern
No, it's not. If it's reusable code, you only have to read it once to understand it. A design pattern is something that you might see common to many pieces of code that will help you understand all of them if you understand the pattern.
>>
>>164957954
is this bait?
I'm asking as a preson who's been following that project for a couple months
>>
Working on more muzak. Do you like the 8-bit bass?

https://clyp.it/aobdactw
>>
File: shrug.jpg (7KB, 300x196px) Image search: [Google]
shrug.jpg
7KB, 300x196px
>>164957649
>were full

Then scoot over m80.
Not gonna pay these tax rates plus the mandatory union memberships plus the horrendous self-insurance rates. All just to keep some party financed position running. If they wanted me to set up even a fucking software related company over here they'd have cleaned out their administrative body.

I know they got shit like that everywhere but at least taxes and additional costs aren't that ridiculously high. Not to mention that the laws aren't as fucked up and riddled with idiotic corner cases that pull your money out of your pocket.

>"heh... so you say you didn't file an application for minimal self-insurance due to secondary income (which is automatically included in any other country)... heh... sorry pal... that will be 1032,50 € a month till next year... maybe you'll get your money back then."

Yeah nah fuck that.
>>
>>164956995
https://nathan-dearth.itch.io/thedungeontrials

You the real MVP. Could you give mi e a go?
>>
>>164958303
Nah... Poland has a relatively solid game industry
Think of that one country that hasn't ever released shit and you'll have the right one.

Never released shit for a reason I gotta say... see >>164958615
>>
using System;
using UnityEngine;

public class LookAtTarget : MonoBehaviour
{
public Transform target;

void Update()
{
if(target != null)
{
transform.LookAt(target);
}
}
}

I have a code here which makes enemies face my player object. However, I can only use this code when not using it in a prefab. But I need to use it for prefabs. How can I do this? In the Inspector, I can not put the Player object as the target from the hierarchy, when I try to use the code on a prefab enemy. the enym always has to be in the hierarchy too, but I can't do this, because I need to spawn multiple enemies and destroy them, but when the enemy in the hierarchy gets destroyed, I can't spawn any copies of it anymore. I need a prefab for this.
>>
File: 1471411110115.gif (3MB, 600x338px) Image search: [Google]
1471411110115.gif
3MB, 600x338px
>>164958789
>>
>>164950296
>getting through the demo pretty well
>found the dev room, did the quests for the mushroom fucker and the ladybugs
>doing the bee artist's quest
>get attacked by an ant on the other side of the cave river
>anally raped by the giant spider that accompanied it
>last save was a minute in

thanks
might want to change the timing on bee's action command and make enemy damage fluctuate less. couldnt tell if you put in defensive action commands or not because of it.
good stuff otherwise though
>>
>>164958508
>But now this means that you can do object.event.fire(...) which is probably not what you want!

doesn't private/public handle this?

but yeah, on a language without it you would be falling into a rabbit-hole of indirection to avoid fuckups

>No, it's not. If it's reusable code, you only have to read it once to understand it. A design pattern is something that you might see common to many pieces of code that will help you understand all of them if you understand the pattern.

Yeah, on a project vs project view you are right, but inside the scope of a single project any piece of reusable code would be a design pattern, maybe im conflating a literal understanding of the phrase "design pattern" with what is normally understood by it

Anyways i think the book deserves to be read, even if its only to argue that its shit
>>
>>164956995
do try when you can
>https://monolithdevs.itch.io/monolith
>>
File: 1472738509271.jpg (640KB, 926x1398px) Image search: [Google]
1472738509271.jpg
640KB, 926x1398px
https://itch.io/jam/agdg-demo-day-12/rate/109224

Yay first submission
>>
File: sd (501).webm (3MB, 960x540px) Image search: [Google]
sd (501).webm
3MB, 960x540px
>>164948164
thanks for feedback, anon
faster movement while jumping is an intentional choice, your top speed is just faster in the air at the cost of quick acceleration as a risk-reward sort of deal. i think that it's alright, because due to characters' low speed on ground jumping doubles as a sideways dodge maneuver, but i'll look into making changes that would make it feel more natural to more people.
i'll eventually swap out the intro for something better, more comprehensible and that covers more shit, but this is a pretty low priority change right now.
>>164959116
give this a stab if you want, thanks
https://itch.io/jam/agdg-demo-day-12/rate/96210
>>
How long has source been active? I feel like he's more frequent these last few months
>>
>>164959313
god dammit i (you)'d the wrong post, my bad
>>164956995
>>
>>164959098
>doesn't private/public handle this?
No. Some languages have things that can handle it though. Nested classes in C#, friends in C++. Though its probably better to use an interface, interfaces are basically just boilerplate.
>>
>>164959313
You could add a small cloud of dust when not doing a straight vertical jump. Could give it that illusion of speed.
>>
>>164958879
What is so funny about this? Tell me the answer if you know it. I either can make the enemies face the player, or I can spawn multiple enmies, but not both at the same time.
>>
>>164958879
What animu?
>>
>>164959409
coming up on 2 years
>>
File: 1480311399747.jpg (7KB, 244x256px) Image search: [Google]
1480311399747.jpg
7KB, 244x256px
>>164959313
>implying i wont try it anyway.
>>
if I submit my demo, it is still 'draft' on itch.io right? not released to public?
>>
>>164959098
>doesn't private/public handle this?
Yes, but then you need to write
>private List<Observer<...>> observers;
>public addObserver(...) { observers.add(...) };
>public removeObserver(...) { observers.remove(...) };
>private notifyObservers(...) { for(o : observers) { o.notify(...); } }
over and over and over again.

>maybe im conflating a literal understanding of the phrase "design pattern" with what is normally understood by it
I guess so.

>Anyways i think the book deserves to be read, even if its only to argue that its shit
Please don't damage control like this.
>>
File: radrexbrainknight.png (19KB, 633x478px) Image search: [Google]
radrexbrainknight.png
19KB, 633x478px
https://apollo.itch.io/rad-ross

Here it is my first and hopefully not last demo day entry.
>>
>>164956995
https://paperbugdev.itch.io/paper-bugs

Sure, I'll bite. Interested in seeing how people play it
>>
>>164959552
Mysterious Girlfriend X

Enjoy your new spit fetish
>>
>>164956995
Give me your worst!
https://apollo.itch.io/rad-ross
please be gentle
>>
>>164959717
among other things. that series seems to be made to give people obscure fetishes
>>
>>164959628
No it has to be public
>>
>>164959457
this sounds like a good idea, i'll experiment around with this
thanks
>>164959608
t-thanks
>>
>>164959630
>Please don't damage control like this.
Is not damage control, you literally have read it or at least skimmed it, all this started cause you want a new guy to don't touch this subject at all

>Yes, but then you need to write
>over and over and over again.
no man, inheritance

>>164959454
at some point you need to exchange indirection rabbitholes for maintainability
>>
File: 1473685989843.gif (21KB, 800x600px) Image search: [Google]
1473685989843.gif
21KB, 800x600px
No maid demo this time.
I quite literally went backwards in progress since the last demo because of all the art I have to redo now.

Aiming for a Feb 15 demo.
>>
>>164959938
>all this started cause you want a new guy to don't touch this subject at all
Because it's a waste of time? If he doesn't know about design patterns, he might "reinvent" a bad one, but I'll criticize his code on its merits and not simply by reference to a design pattern.

>inheritance
Most languages have single inheritance which means now you can't use inheritance any more for that class. And it won't help if you want multiple sets of observers for a single object.
>>
>>164959905
arghh, I was not feeling it was ready for public beta yet
>>
>>164959628
You can set the "release status" of a game to "in-development". To at least show that it's still a beta. But the page does need to be public.
>>
>>164959717
>>164959893

I only watched the first three episodes when it was airing, but I probably have worse taste now so I might as well give it another go.

>>164959628
I think it has to be public, but there's an option to make it unlisted in search/main page. If you do that and also unlist it from you own page it'll basically be hidden from everywhere except the DD12 page.
>>
>>164960072
You can make it a secret page, similar to youtube's unlisted where only people with the link can download, but I don't think you can submit to DD12 without a public page.
>>
>>164960129
>I think it has to be public, but there's an option to make it unlisted in search/main page. If you do that and also unlist it from you own page it'll basically be hidden from everywhere except the DD12 page.
thanks, I will just do this then!
>>
>>164958789
How can I do this????
This must be so fucking simple, but I can't find any solution for this...
>>
>>164959717
>Mysterious Girlfriend X
Thanks!
>>
>>164960056
Keep it up, man!
>>
Ape Escape 2 Hype!!
>>
File: suffering.jpg (106KB, 1066x758px) Image search: [Google]
suffering.jpg
106KB, 1066x758px
>find game breaking bug
>dev'd for 12 hours and tired as fuck
>alrighty I take a short nap and then fix this shit
>10 hours later
FUCK now I won't even have the time to fix my godawful levels.
>>
>>164960332
>since LookAt is a Transform Function it should (and will) work with any transform. You just do transform.LookAt(target); where target is the transform to look at.

What do I have to write there at "target"? I want the enemies to always look at the player no matter where I move.
>>
is this adgq no girls allowed?

has the sjw backlash begun?
>>
>>164960332
When you instantiate the prefab, you need to set the target variable. Whatever controller is spawning the enemy needs a reference to the player to link them.
>>
>>164960674
wrong bread you dumbo
>>
>>164956449
>>164956498

except he does, fagget
>>
>>164960685
I don't understand one bit of what you are trying to tell me. Can you explain this a bit simpler perhaps?

I can't code for shit. I just copy paste and fit things together..
>>
>>164959034

Rip. Sorry about the spider.

You can tell defensive action commands trigger because of a different blocking animation.

Enemy damage is static and only changes when blocking.

But thank you for the feedback and for getting that far! We'll probably add a "NICE!" message if you block properly.
>>
>>164960674
>implying any girl wants to spend an entire week living among fat neckbeards who speed run games in their freetime
Even the most ugly nerd girls gets harassed by horny virgins at these types of events because these nerds have no social skills.
>>
>>164960070
>Most languages have single inheritance which means now you can't use inheritance any more for that class. And it won't help if you want multiple sets of observers for a single object.

Thats why notifiers are better than observers
Anyways, by inheritance i don't mean the observer inheriting from the subject, i mean the observers inheriting from a base observer and the subjects inheriting from a base subject, therefore you leave all the observing-functionality code in those classes and just override the update method of each one

>Because it's a waste of time?
>If he doesn't know about design patterns, he might "reinvent" a bad one,
then it isn't a waste of time by your own admission

>but I'll criticize his code on its merits and not simply by reference to a design pattern.
I agree with this
>>
>>164960460
Thanks, I will.
>>
>>164960946
>Thats why notifiers are better than observers
Why invent a new name for callbacks?

>Anyways, by inheritance i don't mean the observer inheriting from the subject, i mean the observers inheriting from a base observer and the subjects inheriting from a base subject, therefore you leave all the observing-functionality code in those classes and just override the update method of each one
I know.
>>
>>164960846
Where are you instantiating the enemy? Could you share that code?
>>
File: error.png (143KB, 506x284px) Image search: [Google]
error.png
143KB, 506x284px
>mfw bugs make my game look better
>>
File: 1478424639151.png (92KB, 335x291px) Image search: [Google]
1478424639151.png
92KB, 335x291px
>>164959243
>Cute main character. Wud fug her mother.
>Add some acceleration to player character.
>Environment art needs shading.
>Parallax effect is jittering. Its hard to explain the cause of it but its based on both the camera and the paralax snapping to pixel coordinates but at different rates. IIRC the solution is to always position the paralax layers relative to the camera.
>The parallax backgrounds look great though.
>Music begins overlapping after dying to the boss.
>I couldn't dodge the boss attacks so I just spammed him to death.
>Pretty cringy dialogue.
>>
File: ezgif.com-e867a230a3 (1).gif (4MB, 600x421px) Image search: [Google]
ezgif.com-e867a230a3 (1).gif
4MB, 600x421px
https://brum.itch.io/gunmetal
New demo is out!
Added a bunch of shit since the last demoday, you can read the sparse changelog in the description.

I can't seem to make a web build for some reason, but i have MAC/Linux/Win standalone versions. My web build just keeps crashing browsers, even though it worked fine with the same settings before the 5.5 update.
>>
>>164961219
What do you mean by instantiate? Do you mean the enemy wave spawner I use for it?

I have an enemy as a prefab, I jave the same in the hierarchy, and I have an enemy wave spawner, where I put this enemy in the inspector. The wave spawner code is from here:

http://wiki.unity3d.com/index.php?title=Enemy_Spawner
>>
>>164961161
>Why invent a new name for callbacks?
cause threading / observing without interrumpting, aka, after the observed function has finished

>I know.
wait, what do you mean by "most languages only let you inherit from one object", i thought you were talking about multiple inheritance, you mean most languages only allow an object to have only one "son" ? wtf??
>>
File: early character designs.png (2KB, 128x128px) Image search: [Google]
early character designs.png
2KB, 128x128px
Didn't make it to demo day, still made some shitty character art. What do you think, anon?
>>
>>164960882
does the blocking have different values then? the ant had done 1, 2, and 3 damage all in the same battle with the same attack.

but like i said, good work. again, my main gripe was how weird it was to land bee's action command. fooled around with it a bit and ended up doing the extra damage more often when i pressed A before the prompt lit up.

also, i noticed that dropped items from one fight dont exist after the next. for instance, if youre fighting a mushroom and it drops some berries, getting into another fight will make those berries disappear.
>>
>>164961579
I know your identity :) I know those thumbs :)) You have been forwarded to MI6 ;') and there's nothing you can do about it. Literally 10 years to life :)
>>
>>164961572
>cause threading / observing without interrumpting, aka, after the observed function has finished
How does a "notifier" fix this? The only way to do this without any interruption is to write to an event buffer that is then read instead of firing off the callback inline. Not that you can't use callbacks without side effects, though at that point typically you wouldn't call them callbacks but just functions.

>most languages only let you inherit from one object
I didn't say this.

>i thought you were talking about multiple inheritance
I was.
>>
File: DD12.webm (3MB, 640x360px) Image search: [Google]
DD12.webm
3MB, 640x360px
Rune Revolver is up
https://monchop.itch.io/rune-revolver-dd12

Here's hoping I didn't leave any ugly leftovers
>>
>>164961662
The character should probably face the screen a bit more. Also not sure if that is a helmet or just a big eye or what.
>>
>>164962051
It's supposed to be a helmet with a giant light on it. I'll try to turn him a bit.
>>
>>164958263
Here is the link:
https://youtu.be/cxxso-htmw4

>>164958705
Gonna do this demo next
>>
File: 1483035476215.jpg (212KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
1483035476215.jpg
212KB, 1024x768px
progress haha :')
>>
>>164962308
What the fuck is that?
>>
>>164961921
>The only way to do this without any interruption is to write to an event buffer that is then read instead of firing off the callback inline

that is what notifiers basically are, queues, the point of "classing" them is to use them more safely, see this: http://gameprogrammingpatterns.com/event-queue.html

>It took a while, but most of us learned the hard way that global variables are bad. When you have a piece of state that any part of the program can poke at, all sorts of subtle interdependencies creep in. This pattern wraps that state in a nice little protocol, but it’s still a global, with all of the danger that entails.

>I didn't say this.
>I was.
What did you mean then? Just to be clear i asked in good faith, i just know Python and general programming theory, some shit C and shit Java
>>
File: thanks fam.jpg (8KB, 225x225px) Image search: [Google]
thanks fam.jpg
8KB, 225x225px
>>164962308
>a fucking gmod posing
>game dev
ok senpai
>>
why is it that the smallest shit takes fucking ages to complete?
>>
>>164961510
In the spawner code, after instantiate, you can use another send message call to a set target method, defined like the set name method that's already there.

You'll need to add another public field to the wave spawner and give it the player, and pass that reference to the enemy by using sendmessage.

I can't give any examples because I'm not about to try to make properly formatted C# on a phone but you should be able to follow the examples in place. Remember that you're passing an object pointer just like how the spawner is passing a name.
>>
File: static lights.png (49KB, 1212x548px) Image search: [Google]
static lights.png
49KB, 1212x548px
>>164962308
Aren't you the same literal tranny cuckold that also said you can turn static lights on and off?
>>
File: 1458231347054.webm (2MB, 1026x602px) Image search: [Google]
1458231347054.webm
2MB, 1026x602px
No updates in a while, had to learn 3d modeling to progress to the next part of the game.
>>
>>164962941
wtf is that walk cycle
>>
>>164962630
>http://gameprogrammingpatterns.com/event-queue.html
That isn't what I mean either, I mean instead of having a callback stored the "subject" has an event queue that it writes to and "observers" read from.

>What did you mean then?
I meant exactly as I said. If you're working in a language with single inheritance, then you can use inheritance to make Observer a little nicer but only if you're not using inheritance to make anything else nicer. And even with multiple inheritance, you can't use inheritance for multiple sets of observers.
>>
>>164962023
Been wanting to play this. Thank you for your submission!
>>
>>164962997
you mean rollerblade cycle.
>>
File: 1427774919797.jpg (29KB, 353x350px) Image search: [Google]
1427774919797.jpg
29KB, 353x350px
>>164962875
>turn static lights on and off
>>
>calls himself a game developer
>hasn't release a single game
>>
>>164961662
looks ok but if the head is supposed to look like an eyeball or something (i can't really tell) you need to add more detail to it like a pupil and veins

and semi-related question: are outlines a good thing in general or should you avoid them?
>>
>>164962997

I think i'm gonna have to fix how animations work. And I still haven't drawn him rollerblades :(
>>
>>164962875
Jesus christ. Does he even have a game?
>>
>>164958705
It will be here once it uploads https://youtu.be/L7sfmof5gOQ
>>
>>164962941
You're gonna have 3D in a pixel art game?
>>
>>164962850
I still don't understand anytrhing what you are trying to tell me. I am still new to coding.
>>
>>164962875
you guys are retarded, maybe it's poorly worded but he's talking about blending between different static lights which is fine

example:
http://advances.realtimerendering.com/s2010/Ownby,Hall%20and%20Hall%20-%20Toystory3%20(SIGGRAPH%202010%20Advanced%20RealTime%20Rendering%20Course).pdf
>>
>>164963209
>and semi-related question: are outlines a good thing in general or should you avoid them?
depends what kind of art style you want to go for

generally good games that used outlines also did not use them too strictly, and wouldn't always use solid black
>>
>>164963448
or simply multiplying a static light by zero to, in effect, turn it off
>>
File: judyunamused.jpg (18KB, 396x406px) Image search: [Google]
judyunamused.jpg
18KB, 396x406px
>>164962875
>turn static lights on and off
>>
>>164963448
its a troll
>>
>>164963349

Kind of...the idea is that 3d objects will be a teleporter to a 3d world.
>>
In Unity, is there any way to turn off the services constantly popping up, without buying Unity?
>>
>>164962875
>>164962535
>>164962727
>>164962308
Why is this shitty bait still getting (You)s in every thread?
>>
>>164963571
>multiplying a static light
You cant' do that. Do you not know what "static" means, sourcefam?
>>
>>164963752
Half of them is the person who posted the bait posting to rage against himself. He sets up himself as a dummy and punches himself silly every thread just to try and get people to punch along with him -- thus derailing the thread.
>>
>>164963752
its the poster replying to himself
>>
>>164963761
idk what limited babby engine you're using but like if you have a static light in a shader you could have a uniform variable which modulates the intensity of the light contribution
>>
>>164963027
>That isn't what I mean either
Yes it is, read it again, the subject calls a Notifier.add(notification) function that adds notification into a queue, finish its function, then you call each observer's .update() function by which they check if there's new notifications, or you can call a Notifier.update() and have it call the observers listening function if there's anything to listen to, if you go this way you can even implement this with a linked-list of sorts and decouple the Notifiers by area via inheritance

>but only if you're not using inheritance to make anything else nicer
Ahhh but you can have a class that inherits a class that inherits a class that inherits a class that inherits a class that...

For example, base has logging/io, observer-base inherits base, then observer's implementation inherits observer-base, then notifier calls observer's-base functions and observer's implementation overrides observer's-base .update()
>>
File: whats going on in this thre.gif (1022KB, 289x373px) Image search: [Google]
whats going on in this thre.gif
1022KB, 289x373px
>>164962875
>static lights
>on and off
>>
>>164963925
>static light
>shader
Do you not know what a static light is, sourcefam?
>>
>>164963949
>Yes it is, read it again, the subject calls a Notifier.add(notification) function that adds notification into a queue, finish its function, then you call each observer's .update() function by which they check if there's new notifications, or you can call a Notifier.update() and have it call the observers listening function if there's anything to listen to, if you go this way you can even implement this with a linked-list of sorts and decouple the Notifiers by area via inheritance
That's basically the same thing but dualized and then OOPized.

>For example, base has logging/io, observer-base inherits base, then observer's implementation inherits observer-base, then notifier calls observer's-base functions and observer's implementation overrides observer's-base .update()
So you can't use Observer without logging and I/O.
>>
Anyone like RPG mechanics? Or should I keep it at only upgrading HP?
>>
>>164963624
>>164963841
>>164963883
ok it's probably this

>>164964150
kys
>>
>>164962287
Thanks, anon. It's really hard to watch when I know all of the little bits by heart, but nonetheless, very insightful and you found a bug where the stairs don't trigger for the last level.

True agdg hero.
>>
>>164963448
Name literally one engine that can recalculate static lights at runtime. Go on. I'll wait.
>>
>>164964152
>That's basically the same thing but dualized and then OOPized.

The point is wrapping up a global list for protection/not calling update on all objects, kind of dirty-flagging

>So you can't use Observer without logging and I/O.
The point of the example is that you can have """multiple inheritance""" without having it

Anyways, im going to sleep, nice discussion man
>>
>>164964160
it depends on how big of an effect the RPG elements have on the game, and what kind of game you're making.
>>
>>164964194
Also, the game is purely turn-based - your reflex speed of attacking the skeles is irrelevant - they wake up when you're in the box of tiles surrounding them. If you walk up adjacently you can get the first hit in, if you do it from the diagonal ones, you can't and have to run.
>>
File: nearfinal-convo_system.png (1MB, 1043x594px) Image search: [Google]
nearfinal-convo_system.png
1MB, 1043x594px
Got a few hours extra to work this morning, so I'll be creating dialogues, setting up puzzles, and making the introduction sequence less 'bleh'. The hope is still to push out a 15minuteish demo before submission period ends. Dunno how likely I'll be to breach 5-10 minutes though at this rate.
>>
>>164962875
literally what the fucc
>>
>>164964308
>The point is wrapping up a global list for protection/not calling update on all objects, kind of dirty-flagging
Why make it global?
>>
File: targeting.png (976KB, 1912x819px) Image search: [Google]
targeting.png
976KB, 1912x819px
Do you think a game like this would be better if you could move in more than just a straight line? I've been considering breaking up the distance into two directions but I'm not sure if that's worth the effort.
>>
>>164964321
Hack and slasher, something like Monster Hunter but against humanoids

The stats will make your weapons stronger, but different stats make different weapons stronger, so the game will have builds
>>
>>164964529
cause you need to access it from many places through out the code
>>
>>164964306
are you talked about offline-computed baked lighting/lightmaps?

see the pdf for that, their in-house engine can do that, don't know about your commercial trash engine
>>
File: just multiply it bro.png (22KB, 1228x260px) Image search: [Google]
just multiply it bro.png
22KB, 1228x260px
>>164964497
>>164963982
It gets worse actually

he really is stupid
>>
>>164964587
If you need to access one specific thing from a lot of places you're probably doing it wrong. If not you should pass it around anyways because I doubt your language has the reader monad. Or maybe it has no observable side effect and thus can just be a free function.
>>
What font do you guys use? Can't seem to find a good one.
>>
>>164964714
Depends on the game. Gimme a genre and style and I'll give you what I'd use.
>>
>>164964714
Make your own
>>
>>164964650
>can't name a real engine
>consorts with enginedevs
Where is your game?

O-oh wait. I think I know where it is. It's >>164962308 isn't it?
>>
>>164955718
nice BoI clone, fagger
>>
>>164964552
do you plan on making gear (aside from weapons) largely cosmetic like in bloodborne, or making it a combination of character stats + gear?

if the former, you can have stats vary rather wildly based on the player's choices, in the latter you might want to have them a bit more evened out (even when specialized) since gear will pick up most of the slack, or carry the build itself
>>
I ask again, in Unity, how can i make an enemy always face torwards the player?
>>
>>164964760
Somewhat minimal pixel art
>>
>>164964776
>Irradiance Light Rigs
>Live tweakable
>Negative Light
>SH can be blended in real time
>from a real enginedev game from 7 years ago
you just got blown the fuck out
>>
>>164964767
For like the logo sure. Making a custom font for the interface etc is asking a lot - especially since a logo doesn't need 70% of what makes good typography since it's more of a symbol than something to read.

>>164964837
https://chevyray.itch.io/pixel-fonts
>>
>>164964863
>enginedev
Where. Is. Your. Game?
>>
>>164959116
Here is the link: https://youtu.be/G9crdaNv3aY
>>
>>164964835
Haven't done Unity in a while but try modifying Transform.forward to face your player's transform

https://docs.unity3d.com/ScriptReference/Transform-forward.html
>>
>>164964835
make a trace to the player and take the real bearing and elevation of that trace

>>164964653
jesus christ
>>
>>164964978
even unity lets you use shaders, you can easily multiply a light in a shader, moron
>>
>>164965065
Yep, this. You might also find the Transform.LookAt() function useful here.
>>
>>164964653
>that trash can icon
fucking lmao

literally too stupid to even be allowed to post

why do dumbasses with no game even post here
>>
>>164965065
>>164965123
i cant do it like this
cant you just tell me the code i have to write?
>>
File: ezgif.com-f287ebf38e.gif (4MB, 600x421px) Image search: [Google]
ezgif.com-f287ebf38e.gif
4MB, 600x421px
>>164961409
Urge to make a kick-jump map rising
>>
>>164965181
>static lights are shaders
Thanks for playing. Filtered by IP. :)
>>
>>164964829
Armor will mainly be accessory effects, but will not need stats

Armor that gives defense will need defense however, otherwise they're unwearable

You also have a limited amount of levels
>>
>>164965237
>Transform.LookAt() function
Yes, I have already heard of this, but how exactly do I have to write this?
I tried writing Transform.LookAt(player), but i get an error there.
>>
File: devenv_2017-01-09_01-56-43.png (3KB, 1011x29px) Image search: [Google]
devenv_2017-01-09_01-56-43.png
3KB, 1011x29px
>>164965316
I don't like direct spoonfeeding but here, from my own code.
>>
>>164965391
lol dumbass just because your engine sucks ass doesn't mean you can't turn off/blend static lights in even decade-old proper engines
>>
>>164965450
doesnt help me much if it doesnt reference the player
>>
>>164965237
you might want to adjust the Y transform to be about the player's head height, otherwise they may sort of lean towards the player

>>164965419
sounds fine to have stats affect everything including health then.
>>
>>164965316
As I wrote here: >>164965237

Transform.LookAt() ought serve your needs. All you need to do is either give yourself an empty gameobject in your script to link to in the editor if it's an object that's always around -- or do a lookup through Transform.Find(), assuming you know the object's name.

>>164965429
Yeah, it wouldn't know what player was without context. It'll just assume it's a variable that you haven't declared. Instead of Transform.LookAt(player); what you should do is something more like:

Transform.LookAt(Transform.Find("player"))
>>
>>164965540
You can do it, anon. Read my single line of code one more time and change which variables are necessary.
>>
>>164964653
>Simple multiplication?
I wonder what it's like to be that retarded
>>
File: Unity_2017-01-08_13-00-10.png (219KB, 1101x573px) Image search: [Google]
Unity_2017-01-08_13-00-10.png
219KB, 1101x573px
Working on some last minute visual additions. Added some new lights that I want to place around the carrier to make it look a tiny bit more interesting.
>>
>>164965567
>using .Find every frame
>>164965429
The best answer is to use player.transform, assuming player is a gameobject or script variable that is not static.
>>
>>164965867
He asked how to do it, now how to do it efficiently. Obv. the best way would be to either cache the first look up and reference that object from thereon or to do it when the object wakes up, or grab it from a master object which grabs it when it wakes up.
>>
>>164965567
>Transform.LookAt(Transform.Find("player"))
i still get an error there.
do i have to write something else too?
>>
>>164965867
>The best answer is to use player.transform
what do you mean by this? what do i have to write?
>>
>>164959313
Here it is: https://youtu.be/20n7W1-jXXc
Ignore my shitty raspy voice, i have a cold
>>
>>164966063
>i still get an error
You need to improve at asking for help
Don't just say "an error"
>>
>>164965325
looks awsome, make it co-op now!
>>
>>164966063
"an error" isn't very helpful. Please include the error in your response.

That said, whoops. I forgot that LookAt() has two arguments, and the second is what you want the upwards direction to be. So, more properly, it'd be:

Transform.LookAt(Transform.Find("player"),transform.up);
>>
>>164966063
Did you even read the error?
>>
>>164966063
do you ahve an earlier thing to get the player?

something like:
Player player;
player = GetObject<player>();
transform.LookAt (player.transform);
>>
File: alienspin.webm (671KB, 800x600px) Image search: [Google]
alienspin.webm
671KB, 800x600px
made it some the bateye aliums recover in mid air after getting spun by lazor blasts.
>>
>>164966191
Anon I know you're ignoring me but I already posted a screenshot of what you literally had to do.
Just change targetPoint to your player's transform.position. How you would get your player's transform.position is all up to you
>>
>>164966349
The Find covers the getting of the player object. That said, as discussed, its typically better to only look up the player once rather than ask for the player object each time that function's called.
>>
>>164966369
Noice, how does it work?
>>
>>164966226
The error i get is in my native language, and it sounds too complicated for me to translate into english.

Watever, it says something like "For the not-static field, the method "UnityEngine.Transform.Find(String)" is something needed
>>
>>164966516
is the string the exact name of the player class?
>>
>>164966301
still get the same error for this >>164966516
>>
>>164966614
>>164966614
I put in "Player" which is exactly how my player is called in the hierarchy.
>>
>looking up entities by using a string hashing function is considered acceptable program design
lel
>>
>>164966514
From the looks of it, it turns off its facing-to-player function for a short period of time after getting hit. Then, after some time, it'll turn to face the player slowly.

>>164966614
Nah, it's more likely the problem was that the second argument wasn't supplied to the function. It's a non-optional and so Unity wouldn't run the function and would spit out an error that there were insufficient arguments supplied.

>>164966710
Well, dammit, I guess I'll just write the actual thing out and figure out why not. Can't figure why it wouldn't work now that the argument's right. Unless lower case transform doesn't implicitly grab the gameobject we're presently running the code in I guess? I thought the uppercase Transform was the class method though rather than the local instantiation? Blah, I'll look into it.

I'd bet on it being that you're giving it the wrong name though. It needs to be exactly the name in the hierarchy that you've given the player object -- and the player object has to exist at the time this script is called.

If you're for instance calling the lookat() in OnAwake while the player isn't spawned until some script elsewhere has gone through Update() step, it'll error out because no such object as 'player' exists.

Also, don't worry about the translation of an error. Just copy paste it into the thread.

>>164966921
It's perfectly acceptable.

>>164966975
Yep.
>>
File: color_horror_2.webm (2MB, 575x329px) Image search: [Google]
color_horror_2.webm
2MB, 575x329px
Does Unity have a function to tile textures on an object? I know nothing about Unity desu because I have been enginedevving.

Here's a .webm of progress. Recording farted a bit towards the end but yeah
>>
File: more character designs.png (2KB, 128x128px) Image search: [Google]
more character designs.png
2KB, 128x128px
Just spent an hour messing with art styles. What works, what's shit, what has potential?
>>
>>164967095
Check the material properties and set texture to repeat
>>
>>164967121
bad posture
>>
>>164967045
>I'd bet on it being that you're giving it the wrong name though
I give it the name Player which is exactly how it is called in the hierarchy

This is the error i get on english:
error CS0120: An object reference is required to access non-static member `UnityEngine.Transform.LookAt(UnityEngine.Transform)'
>>
>>164967116
where is your game?
>>
File: player_tag.png (10KB, 375x116px) Image search: [Google]
player_tag.png
10KB, 375x116px
>>164966914
>>164967280

use this in your script, the player variable will contain the player object from your scene:
GameObject player = GameObject.FindGameObjectWithTag ("Player");

Transform.LookAt(player.transform)
______
set the tag of your player object to Player in editor.
>>
>>164967045
Also, the Player is there from the start. It's the whole time there.
>>
>>164967121
Try to do something recognizable by its
silhouette, give more visual feedback
>>
>>164967280
Oooh, I see. So the issue is that it won't let you just cast to the object without having a temp object. Alright, that's easily resolved: what you need is a temporary object to store the player's object ref into.

So, do this:
>>164967409

That ought to work - though only if your game object is set up properly as they've shown you how to do.
>>
>>164966921
In Unity, the alternative is to drag and drop references in the editor for placed objects. Objects created dynamically work as you'd expect.
>>
>>164966256
Sure, dude! How good are you at networking programming?
>>
>>164967409
>GameObject player = GameObject.FindGameObjectWithTag ("Player");
>Transform.LookAt(player.transform)
Still get an error... The same error

Where do I have to write this? In void update()?
>>
>>164967220
Alright, gonna check it out, Thanks!
>>
File: 1468949331451.png (82KB, 599x717px) Image search: [Google]
1468949331451.png
82KB, 599x717px
I'm starting to realize that it's the little things that make the game great. I just added particles, background objects, improved animations and the game seems more fun even though I didn't change the gameplay at all.
>>
File: xinput_logo.jpg (32KB, 400x200px) Image search: [Google]
xinput_logo.jpg
32KB, 400x200px
Maiddev here, I need your opinions.

I'm thinking of reverting to XInput for gamepads.
It sounds to me like everyone has an xinput compatible controller now.

The main reason is it would make it possible to do things like using button names in menus/tutorials/etc
>press the X button to do Y
because the button mapping is always the same while it can differ completely on generic gamepads and there's nothing I can do about that.

Should I just stick to DInput which can handle any controller at the cost of me not being able to refer to gamepad names or just use XInput?

If I stick to DInput I'll have to say
>Press the [action] key to do Y
And the user will have to know what they mapped it to in the settings.
>>
>No !A school shooter demo

No excuses, apologize
>>
>>164967651
Anon, let's be serious. If you can't solve this problem, do you think you'll be able to make an actual full game, with AI, pathfinding, UI, inventory systems, levels, etc?
>>
>>164967914
Personally, I'm only going with XInput. It's not an unprecedented requirement. Hell, I don't even have an XInput controller myself, I use a DS3 through SCP.
>>
>>164967651
public GameObject player;
public Transform player_transform;

void Start(){
player = GameObject.FindGameObjectWithTag ("Player");
player_transform = player.transform;
}

void FixedUpdate(){
transform.LookAt (player_transform);
}

Remember to set the tag of your player object to "Player" in editor.
>>
File: Kosmonaut2R_FD_x2.gif (2MB, 702x394px) Image search: [Google]
Kosmonaut2R_FD_x2.gif
2MB, 702x394px
Made one more head
>>
>>164967651
Transform is class
The variable you want is named transform
>>
>>164967874
This is so true. I went from placeholder boxes to graphics and it felt like a different game.
It's funny how visuals and juice can change how you feel when playing.
>>
>>164968093
morrowind/10
>>
>>164968093
Pretty cool looking heads. What are they for?
>>
>sourceposter has shitposted every demo day for the past 2 years
I'm telling you this person has no life. Even for a robot.
>>
>>164968093
Reminds of Thief 2 guards
>>
>>164968045
>>164968086
I have found the error already. The syntax was wrong from the code you gave me.
It's transform.LookAt (player.transform);, not Transform.LookAt (player.transform);
>>
>>164968049
>I use a DS3 through SCP.
That's what I use too but that still counts as an xinput controller since the DS3 has all the features an xinput controller has.
It's more about generic gamepads that might not even have analog sticks and whatnot, but still enough buttons to map and play the game.
>>
>>164967914
>>164968049
I would ensure that the button icons can be customized, though. Maybe even ship both an Xbox texture and a PS texture.
>>
>>164967874
>He fell for the juice meme.
>>
>>164968045
I don't know, if I can do this, but there is so much code out there for free, that I certainly can do something. Perhaps not exactly what I wish to do, but we will see.
>>
>>164968272
>It's more about generic gamepads that might not even have analog sticks and whatnot, but still enough buttons to map and play the game.
I'm sure x360ce supports that.
>>
>>164968381
As long as you stay interested, keep trying to figure things out, and stay motivated I bet you'll do fine anon.
>>
>>164968372
>mocking the statement that you have in fact been here doing this every demo day
>implying you haven't
It's when you mock things that are 100% proven true that your insanity really shines
>>
File: scrr.png (11KB, 315x250px) Image search: [Google]
scrr.png
11KB, 315x250px
https://itch.io/jam/agdg-demo-day-12/rate/95189
WORLD OF HORROR is up!
>>
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/McCarthyism
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paranoia
>>
>>164968401
Is that program free?
>>
>>164968895
Yep, both as in beer and as in freedom.
>>
File: bugg.png (30KB, 523x358px) Image search: [Google]
bugg.png
30KB, 523x358px
>>164968551
I encountered a bug:
I went to the tutorial scenario and went to investigate the school. First time I encountered a trophy case. I chose the left option,
Second time i investigated i went to the computer room, chose 'shitpost on the internet' (the right option) and this happened
>>
File: 1483246799568.png (193KB, 470x517px) Image search: [Google]
1483246799568.png
193KB, 470x517px
>>164968049
>>164968273
I think I found a solution actually and I feel silly for not thinking of it earlier.

I'll stick to DInput, since I can detect when Xbox controllers are connected I'll just have icons for those buttons and treat them the same way I would if it was XInput since the button mapping is known.

But for generic gamepads I won't do anything like that and the user has to configure that and know what they mapped things to.
>>
Notice the need to constantly mock the term "yesdev", so obviously highlighting his regret and anger towards never being able to make a game.
Such anger. Such pain. He pretends this is a joke that others are in on with him, yet he stands by himself, babbling about the same things everyday. For 2 years. Where is the joke?
It's something more. A lost soul.
>>
>>164969402
fuckkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkk. That's the one event I didn't change
>>
I realise when I come here, I work less.

Is it ok if I come rarely to post progress?
>>
>>164969540
are you asking if its ok to slow down on shitposting to make more progress?
>>
File: dunkin-donuts-iced-coffee-1.jpg (111KB, 650x867px) Image search: [Google]
dunkin-donuts-iced-coffee-1.jpg
111KB, 650x867px
post dev fuel
>>
>>164969429
Well, that works too!

If you wanted to be really ultra user-friendly you could allow the user to customize their input prompts by letting them pick from a shape, colour and icon (supply some numbers, letters, PS shapes, etc.).

Could be interesting.
>>
>>164968551
Are you japanese, or just a big junji ito fan?
I bet you also like maruo, dont you?
>>
>>164969540
If it's progress for a video game that you are developing, yes, that is what this thread is for.
>>
What should I focus on first? Learning to use an engine, or learning to draw?
>>
>>164969683
That would be a good idea but also a bit of work to do. I'll just have a circle with the button number for now.
>>
>>164969825
They're a big Ito fan.
>>
File: pepsi_max_can.jpg (38KB, 400x400px) Image search: [Google]
pepsi_max_can.jpg
38KB, 400x400px
>>164969632
>>
File: ass.png (24KB, 617x392px) Image search: [Google]
ass.png
24KB, 617x392px
>>164969825
just a big Junji Ito fan
>I bet you also like maruo, dont you?
that's a given
>>
>>164969940
good taste! maruo is my favorite artist!
>>
>>164969872
Depends on what you want to do, anon. Do you want to make games that requires more knowledge of code or more knowledge of art?
>>
File: auw2RTD.jpg (40KB, 720x540px) Image search: [Google]
auw2RTD.jpg
40KB, 720x540px
How do you guys make such good looking art?
>>
File: 12435235232.jpg (136KB, 1444x960px) Image search: [Google]
12435235232.jpg
136KB, 1444x960px
>>164969632
>>
File: superthumb.jpg (76KB, 300x250px) Image search: [Google]
superthumb.jpg
76KB, 300x250px
>tfw got sick, had seizures, had to work for a bit, and almost died
>havent worked on game in almost a year
>starting to feel better again finally

>tfw Progress Soon™
>>
>>164970380
tfw soi
>>
>>164970363
Depends on what art/style you're talking about. But it usually comes back to the fundamentals: empty/filled space, patterns, color selection, placement of subjects, the ability to deconstruct and reconstruct things into simple shapes, and cleanliness in the work.
>>
>>164970238
I don't know man. I just wanna make a fighting game eventually
>>
>>164970363
practice and fake it till you make it. wish I had a better answer but there you go
>>
>>164969940
Let me know if you need an artist for another project. I can draw Maruo style pretty damn good.
>>
>>164949921
maybe combine sailing game and fishing game
>You fish, and then what do you do with it?
you sell it, with simple but satisfying mechanics
at the end of the game you catch the fabled Big One, the one that always gets away, you have a feast for your entire home town, and you set sail into the sunset, to find a new ocean to master
>witch potion brewing game
I like the sound of that
maybe as the game progresses you have to find (and properly collect) harder-to-get ingredients and develop more complex recipes
maybe the endgame is to do that even harder and better to help passing adventurers beat the evil tyrant or whatever bad guy you choose
sort of a Recettear meets Minecraft meets Cooking Mama
>>
File: Fun things are fun.jpg (86KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
Fun things are fun.jpg
86KB, 1920x1080px
>Study and practice game design for thousands of hours over 10 years
>Everything you make with strong intentionality and a firm theory behind it gets boring fast or just breaks down
>Designing from the gut produces working things based on ideas you yourself don't really understand
The more I learn the more I feel like I know nothing.
>>
>>164970363
Drawing lots of naked girls
>>
>>164968551
Congrats! Where else did you end up shilling this?
>>
File: 2017-01-08_20-03-20.png (10KB, 433x116px) Image search: [Google]
2017-01-08_20-03-20.png
10KB, 433x116px
>164970882
sad
>>
>>164970872
it takes a master to recognize the power of the gut, and also when to refine it
>>
>>164964835
transform.LookAt(player)
>>
>>164959710
Here is the link, it's uploading now.
https://youtu.be/E27nL6XK65Y
Had some problems with the xbox 360 controller dead zone though.
>>
>>164971013
He probably should post it on /v/ too. /v/ was always a big sucker for Juni Ito.
>>
>>164950538
this
?
>>
File: ffdf.png (20KB, 583x315px) Image search: [Google]
ffdf.png
20KB, 583x315px
>>164971013
So far, it's been tumblr-exclusive. I will be having an interview for Kill Screen next week though and I'm stressed because of it.
>>164970689
hit me up on tumblr with details bro desertgame.tumblr.com
>>
Is there an advantage to setting variables in the Unity editor instead of just initialising them in Start?
>>
I'm not sure i should submit

my game isn't really have a game at all
>>
>>164971272
>I will be having an interview for Kill Screen next week t
Damn dude, moving up.
>>
>>164971336
You should submit, anon. My game is just walking around some areas and talking to some people. If you can beat that, you should put your hand in.
>>
>>164971272
Kill Screen? That's really cool. Good luck Anon! I've been and still am rooting for you.
Uh.. probably don't mention you're from here though? haha.
>>
Awwright guys, I need some advice. I'm in the process of learning Python for work (for sysadminning to build applications to do things that Powershell can't/won't), and my plan was to learn Godot once I get a general feel for the language since I've heard GDScript is similar to Python.

I've been doing some thinking and I have to ask: would it be better for me to learn GDScript and Python simultaneously, or would the differences between the two languages just confuse and destroy me? I really, really want to stop being a nodev but I don't want to ruin the good progress I've made in learning already.
>>
File: screenshot_20151109_00003.jpg (12KB, 120x120px) Image search: [Google]
screenshot_20151109_00003.jpg
12KB, 120x120px
>>164971528
I don't know
>>
File: characterss.png (39KB, 633x599px) Image search: [Google]
characterss.png
39KB, 633x599px
>>164971547
>>164971361
>moving up
>really cool
I don't want to hype myself too much and end up disappointed because of it
>>
>>164971528
not him but i can't beat that. I'm still struggling to get the camera working properly
>>
>>164971883
Lay it on us. What's the problem?
>>
>>164971336
If you've come far enough to have an executable, you have to take that last step
>>
>>164954102
1. high school with some college, mostly finished a two-year program before my laziness caught up with me and I lost my grant
2. which kind? my first language was BASIC when I was about 13, my most recent language was Lua so I could use love2d, which I learned when I was 27 (I'm now 28)
3. it's going OK, I have most of the features done, although a few important ones aren't done yet, and art and music are still in the beginning stages
>>
>>164971254
what?
I'm asking if it's better both legally and aesthetically
>>
>>164971790
Why are you making all you art in this old school 1bit style? Why not just draw the pictures like normal pictures?
>>
>>164972286
Because that's the style he wants? Also, much faster to make the art in that style.
>>
File: List.png (51KB, 596x796px) Image search: [Google]
List.png
51KB, 596x796px
>Friendly reminder that you are wasting your time making games for children when you should be making them for adults.
>>
>>164971790
At the very least your game is absolutely gorgeous and you deserve praise for that. At the very least you have a finished prototype and you deserve praise for that. At the very least you've decided that something in you mind must exist in reality and made it so. Be proud! Whatever comes next, you're already a winner in my eyes. The (wo)man in the arena!
>>
>>164959881
Here is the link:
https://youtu.be/DjKBKpV6Ei8

Okay that should be all requests i got.
>>
>>164972364
why make games for mental children if i can make games for actual, true children
>>
>>164972286
It stands out and the 1bit aesthetic allows shading errors
>>
>>164972502
i was just being ironically homo but you went full faggot on this chain of replies
>>
>>164971624
>nodev
get the fuck out
>>
>>164972364
>making games for adults
Making games for adults is hard, since they don't play a lot, but porn on the other hand.
>>
File: title.png (14KB, 960x640px) Image search: [Google]
title.png
14KB, 960x640px
Clarent has been uploaded now and it's available on https://itch.io/jam/agdg-demo-day-12/rate/66276

I've been pretty busy with IRL stuff so haven't made much progress.
>>
>none of the good games have demos

Feels bad
>>
>>164973313
Trying to justify your nodevvery?
>>
File: Kosmo2.png (173KB, 846x575px) Image search: [Google]
Kosmo2.png
173KB, 846x575px
>>164968241
>>164968250
I take both of those as compliments!

>>164968243
Thanks!
Nothing, really.
I should be working on the Spyro-clone (Kairo The Gryphon), but I got a bit sidetracked.
I guess they could be used for that, anyway, although they certainly don't fit the mythological theme.
>>
>>164968551
Can't tell if it's a bug, but clicking on "cast a spell" doesn't open up the spell screen. Also I couldn't get professional treatment even though I had 7 funds, even if I went to the hospital. There's probably a couple of other things I could mention, but I imagine you're aware of most of them.

Overall, the atmosphere is fucking great and your events are really interesting, but I'm unsure of what meaningful choices the player can make. It seems like my only options are to follow the set path and occasionally rest or shop for an item or spell. Then again, a lot of games in this genre have the same issue.
>>
>>164973313
What games do you want to submit to the demo day? Give the authors encouragement.
>>
>>164972364
I'm not capable enough yet
>>
>>164973409
>>164973560
Some of the easiest (You) I've gotten out of this pathetic waste of a general.
>>
>>164953665
C++ is literally C with some stuff bolted on, and an expectation to use some of that stuff instead of C's stuff (for example in dealing with I/O)
every revision of C brings in some stuff C++ had that made it better too
about all you're missing going from C++ to C is templates, in C you're expected to be more careful and use more boilerplate code and make use of the preprocessor, either way it's fairly dark magic
>>
>>164973695
you reek of butthurt
>>
>>164973774
I should say, templates and classes, with classes being more universally relevant
neither is anything you'll learn at the beginning though
>>
>>164956995

https://bearfit.itch.io/unnamed-rts-rpg

Thanks bud.
>>
>>164973786
Wheres your game
>>
>>164973979
Where's MY game?
>>
File: questionlizard.jpg (188KB, 1139x932px) Image search: [Google]
questionlizard.jpg
188KB, 1139x932px
Is it true that someone can rip all the assets from a unity build with ease?
>>
>>164973774
>for example in dealing with I/O
Actually it's pretty widely accepted that C++'s standard I/O is terrible and that you should still use C's standard I/O.
>>
File: gdgsdg.png (14KB, 373x360px) Image search: [Google]
gdgsdg.png
14KB, 373x360px
>>164973537
>Can't tell if it's a bug, but clicking on "cast a spell" doesn't open up the spell screen.
Noted!
>Also I couldn't get professional treatment even though I had 7 funds
Yeah, I didn't have time to include major wounds and treatment cards and I didn't want to half-ass the treatment system.
>It seems like my only options are to follow the set path and occasionally rest or shop for an item or spell.
This will change with the new version with unique mystery-exclusive events and encounters allowing you tackle the problem in different ways and with different outcome
>>
File: 1390264848155.jpg (23KB, 358x427px) Image search: [Google]
1390264848155.jpg
23KB, 358x427px
>>164974119
yes and its why I love demo day
>>
>>164953665
If you really want to learn how programming works, get competent and know your basic data structures, and then read Computer Systems by Bryant. All the complex stuff is in C and you learn hardware, memory, threads, signals, optimization, assembly, etc. Maybe take an online class that has the same curriculum.
>>
>>164956926
whoopsie, thanks.

>>164956449
>>164956498

I post here almost everyday
>>
Monolith is really really good, hope we get to see a finished version. Had a bug happen though, as I was fighting the first boss(ringleader I think?) I managed to leave the screen to the right and that crashed the game.
>>
I'm new here, to /agdg/, but don't mind the blog post:
I just finished my BFA, where I specialized in painting and drawing, graduating in spring 2013. I am now living back in my hometown. I work at a restaurant as a dishwasher and am living back at home with my parents. I try to go to art meet ups in the city near where I live. I also have a small studio that I share with three other people and the rent is very affordable for me.

I am in an odd point in my life though. I love painting (Digital) so much and work on painting every single day. I don’t know what to do for next year. I come from a working class family and money has always been a tough issue for me. I get depressed sometimes, thinking about how expensive life is. I really wanted to get a game design gig, but I stress about the money all the time. I've been apart of two failure to launch projects.

TLDR:
I'm an artist looking for a programmer.
>>
File: 2017-01-08_20-50-52.png (13KB, 376x213px) Image search: [Google]
2017-01-08_20-50-52.png
13KB, 376x213px
>>164975101
All this effort for a lazy shitpost. Sad!
>>
>tfw want to make a game but have no artist and can't find quality assets for free
>>
>>164975101
post art.

also what sort of games are you interested in making?
>>
can you assholes please name your general something different?

I keep accidentally opening this shitty thread instead of the AGDQ one.
>>
>>164975602
>AGDQ
lol what a sperg
>>
>>164972817
That fucking title screen is so badass, Arikado. goddamn
>>
>>164975602
Where's your game?
>>
>>164975252
Step 1: find a super minimalist style.
Step 2: hire an artist.
>>
File: Umbrella.png (734KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
Umbrella.png
734KB, 1280x720px
Wasn't planning on joining this demo day, but I have something that's far enough along. Going to review games that I've seen in the recap and threads.

Umbrella Warriors
I like how everything feels. The controls and art style are all good. Gameplay is a bit simple, but with it being the first level, I'd expect that. The challenge provided by the boss was also fitting for the first level. I did expect to be able to shoot the cogs he throws. I was caught off guard when I couldn't. Not really an issue, just something I noticed.

Only real critique is that I had no reason to let off the fire button. I held it down the entire time. I only played on spice, so it might change in the higher difficulty, but having ammo or something for the special weapons might add a bit more challenge.
>>
>>164975908
you dont want to see it. I made a breakout clone in game maker once, but it was shitty looking.

now i just shitpost in threads i have no business being in
>>
>>164963359
instantiation, or creating an instance of something, is just creating a specific copy, a particular enemy in this case
>>
File: lighting.jpg (988KB, 1880x1080px) Image search: [Google]
lighting.jpg
988KB, 1880x1080px
Lit up the carrier like a Christmas tree because I'm using deferred rendering because of a shader and may as well take advantage of it if I'm using it.

Added a landing gear light as well. Now I'm just setting up the scenarios for standalone carrier landing.
>>
>>164964653
why is this wrong? I haven't had to do this since I was like 15 and that was how I did then
>>
Why do you want to make game?
>>
>>164977257
I just want to be happy, anon.
>>
>>164974119
Unity and every other engine, unfortunately. That's why I use an obfuscator.
>>
File: 2013-01-14.gif (180KB, 816x553px) Image search: [Google]
2013-01-14.gif
180KB, 816x553px
I haven't programmed a game in literally a year. I need to start from scratch.

I want to make a Metal Slug style game. Where the heck do I even start?
>>
File: 2017-01-08_20-15-34.png (33KB, 488x228px) Image search: [Google]
2017-01-08_20-15-34.png
33KB, 488x228px
>>164975210
>>
>>164977257
Because it's my creative outlet and also I want to see more mecha games, so I'm forced to make mecha games myself.
>>
>>164977562
How do you do that?
>>
>>164977562
>reset his router to shitpost
SAD!
>>
>>164976369
i love your progress. Do you have a blog or twitter to follow instead of relying just on these generals?
>>
>>164977506
Download Godot and just like make game.
>>
Healthy young dev goes to AGDG, gets pumped with massive shot of many source images, doesn't feel good and changes - SHITPOSTING. Many such cases!
>>
File: doorhit.webm (390KB, 776x524px) Image search: [Google]
doorhit.webm
390KB, 776x524px
People now get hit by the door if you open it right in their face.
>>
File: 1480412869346.png (33KB, 360x107px) Image search: [Google]
1480412869346.png
33KB, 360x107px
>>164977836
Nice Trumpposting
>>
>>164977894
Can you add [WASTED] please
>>
>>164977257
I started as a teen and now it is the only thing I'm good at. I have no other prospects.
>>
>>164977760
Godot is shit, it has weird jitter issues.
>>
>>164977257
I hate working for other people.
>>
I always hear you guys say that Unity is shit and that Unreal is much better. If that's the case, why isn't anyone here using Unreal?
>>
>>164978140
It doesn't. You must have been doing something wrong.
>>
>>164978285
https://github.com/godotengine/godot/issues/2043

Yes, it does.
>>
>>164972364
>tfw making a kids game.
>tfw no sad pepes.
>>
>>164978239
Its too hard for them.
>>
>>164978239
The best way to get (You)s is to bad mouth something a lot of people use/like.
>>
>>164978532
like source?
>>
>>164978239
I haven't posted any progress because I am still working on the core and backend of my project. I am using Unreal engine and working on an MMO RPG.
>>
>>164978239
>>164978663
What about 2D games?
>>
>>164978397
I can not reproduce the problem in the car demo. I've been using Godot for a couple of months and have not had any jittering.
>>
>>164978678
It doesn't count when you reply to yourself.
>>
>>164972364
That's insane. Rpgmaker game making 100k a year.
>>
>>164978921
I know it works for some people but I've tried it with two different GPUs and same problem.

It's really off-putting that it can't even render pong.
>>
>>164978087
It's not my fault if most shitposts like that are samefags.
>>
File: 23b.webm (2MB, 800x600px) Image search: [Google]
23b.webm
2MB, 800x600px
Release for demo day!

Itch.io link
https://taytay.itch.io/bloodworks

Longer webm
https://webmshare.com/jQE5Q
>>
>>164979174
Youre talking to at least two people new friend.
>>
File: cat grande.gif (10KB, 96x96px) Image search: [Google]
cat grande.gif
10KB, 96x96px
>>164954102

>1.What education do you have?
Graphic design, web design, UI, human anatomy illustration.

>2.Where did you learn programming
I didn't, I got told I should learn C++ so I think that's what i'm gonna do, understand how coding works though.

>3.How is your progress going
Deciding if GMS of Unity, I wanna make a NES style platformer to start, learning pixelart.
>>
>>164978239
Unity is not shit but I do consider UE4 to be better and am in fact using it.
>>
>>164979653
But I only quoted one post?
>>
>>164979268

cool i enjoy top down shooters.

for juice/idea theft, look up videos of 'I made a game with zombies in it' and 'destroyer x punisher'
>>
File: tumblr_lj57goZvBh1qdjdp1o1_500.jpg (38KB, 600x395px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_lj57goZvBh1qdjdp1o1_500.jpg
38KB, 600x395px
>>164979785
>Trump has no power there

Wishful thinking
>>
live fast.. die hard and free.. faster
>>
mental illness is a hell of a thing
>>
>>164967121
P I L L O W
I
L
L
O
W
They're all kinda meh. Do >>164967467
and give it something like a neck at the very least. Besides that, 1 and 3 are most okay, then 2, and 4 is a partial pillowshaded mess.
>>
Anyone here using gdxlib? I was thinking about giving it a try.
Have in mind that I only want to make a simple 2D mobile game.
>>
>>164980820
I use libgdx.
>>
>>164980194
thanks!

'I made a game with zombies in it' looks another clone of crimsonland, will check it.

couldn't found 'destroyer x punisher' though
>>
>>164977894
W A S T E D
>>
>>164980512
damn, this looks so fun!
>>
>>164980512
>shotgun jumping
lel
>>
>>164980961
What do you think about it?
Is it better than using an engine if I want to make a 2d game?
>>
>>164980512
>shotgun jump
you are a mad man
>>
File: KosmoVertexPaint.png (231KB, 754x652px) Image search: [Google]
KosmoVertexPaint.png
231KB, 754x652px
>>164973428
>>164968093
Tried giving them a lick of vertex paint
>>
File: lemonade[1].jpg (5KB, 252x259px) Image search: [Google]
lemonade[1].jpg
5KB, 252x259px
>>164969632
>>
What is the worst looking pixelshit indie game of all time in your opinion?
>>
>>164981351
>just finished fapping to piss drinking doujin
>see this
Mm, tasty.
>>
>>164980737
Thanks for the feedback. I'm working on a new, better shaded, model now
>>
>>164980512
I'm a Force-a-Nature!
>>
>>164972215
I know, I mean I have the same question
>>
>>164981419
I can't remember what it's called, but you're on a small island camp, a murderer is trying to kill your group and you control each of your friends individually.

Maybe someone knows
>>
File: Unity_2017-01-07_22-15-15.png (419KB, 656x485px) Image search: [Google]
Unity_2017-01-07_22-15-15.png
419KB, 656x485px
>>164981113
>>164981228
>>164981252
>>164981631
You can play the demo at >>164961409
>>
File: x.png (309KB, 315x250px) Image search: [Google]
x.png
309KB, 315x250px
I've just added my first rough demo on demo day page. Any criticism appreciated.

https://itch.io/jam/agdg-demo-day-12/rate/109754

It's my first game, so have NO mercy

To Helleton dev: I will check your game probably tommorow, because I have not much time today.
>>
>>164981803
>Follow me on tumblr
disgusting
>>
>>164950931
>https://itch.io/jam/agdg-demo-day-12/rate/110388

Did you find it hard to make ? What was the most difficult part unitl now ?
>>
>>164981946
Too lazy to use twitter properly. I am getting tired of getting followed by trans otherkin all day though.
>>
>>164975101
I would probably ask you about working with me but I found someone a few weeks ago
I hope you find someone
>>
When is Comfy Jam starting and how long is it?
>>
File: faggot.png (126KB, 236x235px) Image search: [Google]
faggot.png
126KB, 236x235px
Why are you still using pixelart anon?

Why are you calling your style "retro" when it's clearly not.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xg4xZOOGGY0
>>
>>164950931
I mean this one
>>
File: 130667651152.jpg (32KB, 638x512px) Image search: [Google]
130667651152.jpg
32KB, 638x512px
>>164982121
What if it had no deadline?

That'd be pretty comfy
>>
File: file.png (222KB, 1331x907px) Image search: [Google]
file.png
222KB, 1331x907px
Anyone doing a game jam?
>>
>>164981250
>Is it better than ... ?
I don't know, its the only thing I've used so far. Its not quite engine deving as the framework is a big start, but there are a lot of things you still have to do on your own. If you already know java or another oop, sure I'd recommend it. The gradel lets you build a workspace (core) and different launchers for android or desktop. You'll be working strictly with code unlike other "easy" engines.
>>
alright, for the few anons affecred, uploaded monoliths linux build.
>>
GUYS
quick
what controls do i need to make for a good ui?

also what is the cleanest way to hook buttons up to the engine? some sort of MVC style architecture?
>>
File: 1483883091452.jpg (60KB, 594x493px) Image search: [Google]
1483883091452.jpg
60KB, 594x493px
>>164982159
>posting some fat faggot pic and shit question post
>blah blah muh metal slug why can't basement dwellers match full-time working professionals
opinion discarded
choke on used toilet water
>>
>>164981803
the delay on kick make things very hard
>>
>>164982016
>>164982183
Dunno, it wasn't easy since I never investigated physics before. I also worked on shaders and stuff I need math for, which I find a bit difficult.

There is also a lot of AI work to be done, lots of scripting and I don't want to do too much hard coding so I'm making systems and scripts instead. It's hard to unify all the code.

But I'm nearly done with the prototype.
>>
>>164978140
>>164979037
personally I gave up on it because the documentation is shit
the documentation for the engine itself, the user interface, the special snowflake scripting language, it's all shit
>>
>>164982159
>Gnoggin'
Don't. I've already watched some of his other dredge, and know his opinions and videos as a whole are to be discarded.
>>
>>164981842
>>164981946
>>164982074

Tumblrs fine, I follow a whole bunch of the devs that post here. Ignore the political bits.
>>
>>164982470
thanks man you game is really cool looking love it
>>
>>164982508
I liked the idea of an open source unity.

The combination of the "special snowflake" language and the fact that for so many people it just doesn't render properly, I lost interest quickly.

They're especially dismissive of people complaining about it too. If my machine can run Source, Unreal, and whatever that shitty engine that Dishonored 2 uses without problems, it should be able to draw pong.
>>
>>164982283
I watched a few videos about libgdx and I already know java so I think I will give it a try.
>>
I'm just getting start with gamemaker, are there any pugins / extensions etc that you can browse and get, like the unity asset store?
>>
File: unknownd.png (1MB, 1366x768px) Image search: [Google]
unknownd.png
1MB, 1366x768px
>>164982462
It's a bit of a windup, but it would be kind of overpowered if it was instant. Once you get the timing down it's kind of easy.
Once the windup ends and the kick decetion starts, you are invulnerable to all sources of damage until your kick finishes, so it does give you a decent window to land your kick, as long as you are heading for a nice collision when you being your kick.
Consider it more of a dodge roll, not an actual weapon. Imagine how tight you have to time dark souls dodge rolls for example.
>>
>>164980512
someone's been mixing their drinks, their drinks labeled "Doom" and "Marathon"
>>
>>164982350
>what controls do i need to make for a good ui?
What do you mean?

>also what is the cleanest way to hook buttons up to the engine?
Whatever you do, make sure everything except the input translation system itself deals in input after it's been translated into high-level commands and states.

>some sort of MVC style architecture?
Stay away from MVC, but do separate logic from presentation.
>>
File: doggo.webm (74KB, 592x380px) Image search: [Google]
doggo.webm
74KB, 592x380px
>>164982680
Thanks!
>>
>>164982402
>>164982546
>>164982159
I couldn't make it past few minutes in the video but you gotta agree that undertale looks like fucking dogshit
>>
>>164982825
Cool, is this your first project?
>>
File: you_got_me_breaking_bad.gif (4MB, 400x225px) Image search: [Google]
you_got_me_breaking_bad.gif
4MB, 400x225px
>>164982996
:^)
>>
>>164983582
Yes, but I'm still not sure what game I want to make.
>>
>>164972817
The logo looks sick but you really need to step up on that contrast for the menu background, everything is too dark.
>>
>>164983505
Undertale looks perfectly servicible mostly, and good at some parts, like the caverns. Rarely did I find the art jarring.
Here's your (you) btw.
>>
File: 1459545445618.jpg (148KB, 862x1000px) Image search: [Google]
1459545445618.jpg
148KB, 862x1000px
>find a bug in level design
>call it a secret path
i'm /devious/
>>
>>164983807
I suggest doing a couple small test projects before starting your game. I recommend this to start.
https://youtu.be/NDGaj0wGDf4
Its asteroids, very simple, but some of the things the guy goes through you'll end up using on all your other games. Things like a gamestate manager, and input handler. Those will be building blocks you can carry over to your real game as you figure out what you want to make.
>>
>>164983279
>What do you mean?
like buttons, textboxes, lists, icons, etc

>Stay away from MVC
yea, but right now, i have my presentation layer and some subsystems ive glued together with some application contexts, i just want to try to minimize how much i need to bloat the contexts with, when it comes to accessing the subsystems.
idk if that made any sense since i just rambled it out
>>
>is there an x feature in this engine
>no, but you can program it yourself
>>
File: hv9ZlL.jpg (145KB, 1047x1046px) Image search: [Google]
hv9ZlL.jpg
145KB, 1047x1046px
If anyone has a VR headset pls check out gmae
https://phygon.itch.io/vr-portal-demo
>>
>>164984495
Thanks, I will watch it
>>
File: who.png (474KB, 954x796px) Image search: [Google]
who.png
474KB, 954x796px
Who?
>>
>>164984783
I've followed the dev on other sites, but I don't think I've seen them posting here.
>>
>>164984783
>being this new
Though I admit the dev doesn't post here very often, he's been around for a looong time.
>>
>>164984783
he posts, just very infrequently and he's deving that forever
>>
>>164984783
I remember this guy, nice bgs. Idk his name though.
>>
>>164984336
>frogposter
I'm sure your game is great
>>
>>164984634
Whoops, wrong link
https://itch.io/jam/agdg-demo-day-12/rate/110306
>>
so GMS or unity for 2D platformer?
>>
What's the best method for storing tile data for a 2D game in a database?
>>
>>164985368
Godot
>>
>>164985368
>when in doubt
GMS for 2d
Unity for 3d
>>
>>164985368
>2017
>2d
>>
>>164985368
the only true way to do a 2d platformer is asm otherwise your game won't run on a 486 like a real 2d platformer
>>
It takes just so much work to make a video game.

How do you stick to it?
>>
>>164984941
>>164984998
>>164985120
So they're just shilling.

>>164985139
>his
They.

So we can post years later with a team without even posting anymore? Good to know.

>you're just against progress
No I'm against people using the ++agdg demo's day++ to shill when they've stopped posting here.
>>
>>164985180
where's your game
>>
>>164985368
>GMS for anything ever
>>
>>164985796
>the most succesful game here was made in gamemaker
>implying it's the tool, not the skill that matters
>>
>>164985710
these dudes just got shitposted for showing a counterintuitive dos-shareware-tier level editor that takes 2 hours for making a singlescreen level like last week or so
it's not like they never post anymore, they just do it rarely
>>
>>164985453
3d array.
>>
>>164985924
lol
>>
>>164985867
You can be super good at hand milling but a CNC will produce better results every time
>>
>>164984783
That dev has been here for a long ass time.
He was working on that beat em up with pixel art before.
>>
>>164984783
lol fuck off
>>
>>164985587
>2017
>being a fag
>>
>>164986078
The first two parts of the array are the x/y location of the tile. The third part is a container that will hold the tile properties.
>>
File: 1464807293522.png (59KB, 400x275px) Image search: [Google]
1464807293522.png
59KB, 400x275px
Hey anons, should I leave a comment review on the demo page or here?
>>
>>164985710
No. You don't know what shilling is.
>>
>>164987102
do both
>>
>>164987102
Both works, but you can leave longer comments here compared to Itch.
>>
damn i hope nobody abuses agdg demo day and steals our massive audience
>>
>>164987102
why not both
>>
>>164985453
You don't use a database.

>>164985924
>>164987026
Structs called, they want you to stop abusing arrays and dynamic types.
>>
File: 1464758022508.png (121KB, 1051x502px) Image search: [Google]
1464758022508.png
121KB, 1051x502px
>>164987186
>>164987203
>>164987310
>>
>>164987026
>>164987501
Also the position is implicit from the location in the array.
>>
>>164982159
>Gnoggin
Remember that time he made a Pokemon theory that was completely wrong?
>>
File: Capture.png (257KB, 869x565px) Image search: [Google]
Capture.png
257KB, 869x565px
Anyone here good with procedurally generating shit in game maker?

I have a bunch of points here that represent locations on an overworld map of sort. any suggestions on 'the best' way to generate links to each 'node' and prevent them from overlapping (as you can see happens in pic related)

also, any info you guys can give me on generating better looking patterns would be great too
>>
>>164987747
Shit thats what I meant. I'm too noob for structs. I'm just getting into abstracts.
>>
>>164987976
A random walk that gravitates towards making loops sometimes could work nicely.

>>164988171
That's okay, but don't try to help other people if you don't know yourself.
>>
>>164987964
Theories are fucking stupid, and are for fucking stupid people.
>>
>>164987976
start from the middle and generate outwards. You can check if a line will collide with another line, so if a connection does that, try it from another node until it works
>>
>>164988546
It makes money though, look at Game Theory. The guy who still thinks that Pokemon Go is somehow a prequel to the original Pokemon games and people EAT that shit up.
>>
>>164988638
Do you know what a theory is? It doesn't matter if he's right or wrong he's just making solid points.
>>
>>164988816
Youv'e clearly never seen Game Theory before if you think he makes "Solid Points"? A theory based on points that are completely ridiculous, stretches of imagination and aren't solid whatsoever is the most common type of theory there is. Which is what 100% of what Game Theory is.
>>
>>164988816
a theory is a scientific conclusion backed by evidence but has yet to become a law
>>
>>164985679
Do a little each day, and build up momentum. If you go a few days without working, it's impossible to try to pick projects up again..
>>
>>164989115
>>164989167
>Youv'e clearly never seen Game Theory
You've*

Also I'm a follower of that channel and I clearly watch the show as it is intended to be.
You faggots are probably the same ones whining about how "oMG it fukin doesn't make sense" on the youtube comments.

He's trying to use scientific rules and facts to prove the impossible, that's the fucking point of the show.
>>
>>164989626
>He's trying to use scientific rules and facts to prove the impossible
Thank you for actually proving you don't watch any of his videos.
>>
>>164989692
Are you a fucking idiot or are you just trying to get (you)?

Let's hear your scientific explanation of what the show is then, smartass.
>>
>>164977257
because movies require you to rely on other people
>>
File: 220px-Anubis_standing.svg.png (41KB, 220x471px) Image search: [Google]
220px-Anubis_standing.svg.png
41KB, 220x471px
Rate my Egyptian theme:

https://clyp.it/kx3ilpid
>>
>>164984783
>it's another newfag attempts to call out long time devs as whodevs
At least wait a few months before you act like you're a big shot.
>>
>>164989872
https://youtu.be/5N9EEH_iDXU

Tell me the scientific rules and facts that allow this theory to make sense. I'll wait.
>>
File: why reply?.jpg (16KB, 600x600px) Image search: [Google]
why reply?.jpg
16KB, 600x600px
>>164989626
>>164988816
>>
>>164977726
I have a Tumblr. Just search for the tag "space carrier ops" and you'll find it.
https://www.tumblr.com/search/space%20carrier%20ops
>>
>>164985368
Godot for 2D
UE4 for 3D
>>
>>164989945
I don't hear anything egyptian about it but then again I'm not much of an egyptian expert
>>
>>164990357
Better list:
Godot/Love2D/Monogame for 2D
Unity for low requirements 3D
UE4 for medium/high requirements 3D

UE4 is too much for small 3D games with low end graphics.
>>
>>164990357
>le godot meme
Is this the one user over and over again?

Godot
>own scripting language instead of standard language
>weird issues on random pieces of hardware
>smaller community with less support
>no add-ons for doing the same old shit that every game needs
>>
>>164990701
I would include GM:S in there desu
>>
>>164990701
>>Godot/Love2D/Monogame for 2D
>Love2D
>going back to making games without a live preview and visual editor

Eh.
>>
>>164988638
Wow. He ACTUALLY fucking believes that? He must be some kind of fucking pothead.
>>164988816
No, he's a pretentious douche making sensationalist claims stretching shit out to "prove" his claim more than a teenage atheist who's mad at his parents.
>>
>>164990801
Unity
>seven year old version of a language
>massive community of children and indians giving terrible advice
>paid add-ons for doing the same old shit that every game needs
>>
>>164985368
monogame for 2d or sdl/c++.
UE4 for 3d.

The only way.

>>164990701
Not really, just blueprint and asset lift from epics examples for maximum fast. Its more or less the same shit in terms of ease of use as unity. But with added benefit of not being completely shit.
>>
Now that the dust has settled, what's the veredict on GMS2?
>>
File: 17165675?v=3&s=400.png (7KB, 179x179px) Image search: [Google]
17165675?v=3&s=400.png
7KB, 179x179px
What are the resources like for Love2D?
>>
>>164991018
Don't forget
>purposely leaving in bugs or not adding basic necessary features because it will affect asset store sales
>have to pay to get rid of ugly splash screen that players hate to see
>>
>>164990801
>own scripting language instead of standard language
Gamemaker is one of the most popular game engines and uses its own language. I don't see any problem with this. It's not hard to learn a new language, especially since it's similar to Python.

>weird issues on random pieces of hardware
literally every piece of software has this, including other game engines.

>smaller community with less support
The community is growing fast and there is a ton of support, you can even easily talk to the developers directly on the IRC.

>no add-ons for doing the same old shit that every game needs
You can make addons very easily, there's even an asset library where you can upload and download addons for free.
>>
>>164991149
I wasn't talking about ease of use, i meant hardware requirements. UE4 is not toaster friendly.
>>
>>164991253
What do you mean, like available libraries or some such?

Here's one neat list https://github.com/love2d-community/awesome-love2d
>>
source control for ue4 is absolute shit
>>
>>164991259
Isn't it funny how Unity basically made it so their logo is synonymous with shitty games, simply because they force shitty developers to use the logo, and the better games can remove the logo by paying.
>>
>>164991414
Thanks for the link.

I mean like, if I want to make an x-style game in Unity, if I google for it, I'll find multiple tutorials for that specific kind of game.

What's it like with Love2D? Does anyone use it here?
>>
File: 1483249485478.jpg (50KB, 409x409px) Image search: [Google]
1483249485478.jpg
50KB, 409x409px
>>164991554
UE4 did the opposite and won't let you use their logo to avoid shitty games affecting their brand.
>>
How's your opinion about this demo day so far
>>
>started to make a game with game maker
>for some reason got stuck on a problem
>searched for weaks for a solution by myself
>decided to search on the web the solution
>find out it's theorically impossible
>gonna have to start over from scratch with another engine

Why the f*ck does these things happens?
>>
>>164990801
He's been shilling his Godot for weeks now.

I've given up on warning people, if they fell for the Godot meme instead of going for a standard like GameMaker or even RPGMaker then it's their own fault.
>>
>>164991354
Don't forget, Godot is set up so any scripting language can be implemented. And C# scripting is going to be supported this year, I don't know if it will be in 3.0 release or later.
>>
>>164991562
The way you use Love2D is heavily up to your needs and preferences. You shouldn't be looking for tutorials on how to do specific game things in Love2D, you should be looking for resources on how to do those specific game things generally. Likewise, if you need to figure out how to do an engine thing then you can maybe see if there's something specifically for Love2D.
>>
>>164991760
You should have known better. No one in their right mind would have suggested using game maker when you could make your own engine instead.
>>
>>164991873
Wow, that should really be obvious to me. For so long, Unity has been my go-to that I didn't even think of it like that.
>>
>>164991562
No, I'm not familiar with many tutorials like that. Most of them either cover simple topics on the wiki or forums (https://love2d.org/wiki/Tutorial:Tile-based_Scrolling), or step various steps of making a game in Love2D (http://sheepolution.com/learn).

I use Love2D for my own game, but it's not anywhere near as popular as something like Unity, so you won't see same level of resources for it. However, it is still a very simple and easy to use framework and can be customized to your specific needs.
>>
What is the idea behind demos? It's just video or a playable demo?

I'm talking about itch.io/jam/agdg-demo-day-12
>>
>>164991760
assuming this isnt a shitpost, what was your issue? maybe i can help
>>
>>164991815
>GameMaker or even RPGMaker
kek'd
>>
File: 2017-01-08_13-27-59.png (120KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
2017-01-08_13-27-59.png
120KB, 1920x1080px
Thoughts on some games I've played:

Unnamed RTS RPG
This is the sort of action rpg I would love to play. Once you get past the information dump of the abilities, this game is ridiculously fun for how little is implemented. The test boss is way too hard, I couldn't even get him to half health, but I love the frantic pace and if the RPG stuff is done well, I would buy this. One complaint is that you can't shift-click to add units to your selection.

NOVIDEO
This was fun overall but is hard to play. It needs some placeholder sounds because you can't easily tell when you are bouncing or sticking to anything. Also the momentum is pretty strange. You slide quite a bit before stopping, so it's really hard to make small adjustments. I fell off platforms like 10 times trying to line myself up for the next jump.
>>
>>164991976
What is your game, anon?
>>
>>164991760
I'm 100% sure you can work around it somehow
>>
>>164992132
The successful gm and rpgmaker games are keking back at you faggot.
>>
>>164992105
I want to use two or more screen for my games at once.
The goal is basically to make them interact, things like this.
But it seems that game maker just doesn't allow that.
>>
>>164992132
He's right though, those are 2 established engines that were used in many commercial games.
Literally who made a game with Godot?
>>
>>164992273
screens as in cameras or screens as in application windows?
>>
>dev posts progress
>5 notes

>fag posts fanart of some other dudes game
>300 notes
>>
>>164992320
>muh tradition
>>
>>164992363
Screen as in application windows.
>>
>>164992375
betcha everything would be alright if it was fanart of your game
>>
What do people think of GameMaker?

Why use it over Unity?
>>
>>164992273
Just open two instances of the game and have them communicate through a networking protocol :^)
>>
File: physics_progress_1.gif (262KB, 801x477px) Image search: [Google]
physics_progress_1.gif
262KB, 801x477px
>>164992151
This platformer I've been posting here every now and then.

Today fixed the hookshot behavior with slopes, though there are still couple of edge cases I need to adjust.
>>
>>164992459
ah, yeah that is probably outside of the scope of gms. since everything is sandboxed in a certain environment and gms doesnt have windows api in the scripting language, it is most likely impossible. sorry i couldnt help.
youll probably want to look into monogame or something which will most likely support what you are looking for
>>
>>164992530
Unity is the ONLY way to make a game!
>>
>>164992573
That looks really cool.
>>
>>164992494
i have no game
>>
>>164992375
>complains about 5 notes
That's the double of what I get on average.
>>
>>164992570
I mean the game alone opening and closing windows depending on what the player does.

>>164992658
It seems that love2d allow that via lua so I'm thinking on going to this...
Not sure.
Meh, I'll see...
Thanks though.
>>
>>164992729
sorry i made the generous assumption the 23-irony-layered shitpost was made by a salty dev rather than a pure shitposter i swear it won't happen again
>>
>>164992142
Unnamed dev here.
Thanks a ton for playing and the feedback.
The difficulty and the ability info dump has been a catch-22 I've been really conflicted over. I think giving the player a small number of abilities to learn in the demo or making the boss less aggressive would make it much easier to start playing, but it would also make it a lot less frantic. I think the whole appeal of the game is that feeling of knowing you have to play faster and you're not doing everything you should, and I'm not really sure how to have both things at once.

I'll work on the shift thing though. It was on my todo list but I think I was neglecting how many people might be used to that from other RTS games.
>>
>>164989945
Feels like I've heard part of it before.
>>
>>164992273
I can't think of a game engine that allows for that, it's way too much of a pain on the openGL side to be worth it. What you can do instead is just run two instances of your game, and sync them up using a socket
>>
>>164992940

https://docs.unity3d.com/Manual/MultiDisplay.html
>>
You should start by making basic things so you can understand how unity works.
>>
>>164992408
Support, tutorials and having a community is important.
Lots of people complain about bugs in Godot
>but it's open source so go fix it yourself :^)
>>
>>164992940
It would just not work with the game.
What I want it that, for exemple, when the player click on the inventory, a new window with an open suitcase opens. If he click on a clock, the clock open in bigger in another window. And a button in each of those windows can close them.
That's basically just a gimmick but that's also the only thing that makes me want to do it.
>>
File: out.gif (2MB, 264x323px) Image search: [Google]
out.gif
2MB, 264x323px
trees can now be bonked
>>
I spent the whole day on this trying to get the shooting collision to work so that catgirl could shoot bubbles. I've had semi success now but its really glitchy and I don't really know what's going on. Couldn't do much about the music and things because busy with christmas and new years things since last demoday.

I'm thinking of uploading this rom to Demoday 12 maybe someone will find it fun despite the glitchy bubbles escaping. Catgirl-tries-to-shoot bubbles.webm

For a 2 min full length feature film of Catgirl trying hard to shoot glitchy bubbles try this link; https://u.teknik.io/SfkQm.webm
>>
>>164993302
id let her bonk my tree if you know what i mean
>>
stop shilling your games on /shmupg/ fags
>>
What's an acceptable amount of triangles for a common enemy that you would see a lot of (Upwards of 30) on screen?
>>
>>164993664
enough that it looks good, but not so many that it slows performance.
>>
>>164993664
Depends entirely on your target hardware.
>>
File: h.png (14KB, 158x154px) Image search: [Google]
h.png
14KB, 158x154px
>>164993578
I'm not entirely sure what you mean
>>
>>164993602
you got me intrigued
which ones were shilled
>>
>>164993768
PC free ware game for a jam eventually

>>164993767
Alright. Guess I have to experiment with it
>>
>>164992020
Why not click the links and find out
>>
>>164993850
i got off my lazy ass and looked, it's monolith
>>
>mfw the hours monolithdev has logged in GM:S

welp time to step it up

>>164992573
what is that red shit
>>
File: 7ff.jpg (207KB, 649x536px) Image search: [Google]
7ff.jpg
207KB, 649x536px
>>164993578
>>
>>164993602
>tfw I planned to make a shmup and post on shmupg
I'm sorry
>>
>>164993850
Monolith is the only shmup I've seen from here lately. And honestly, they should. Shmup veterans expect a totally different level of difficulty than anything the average steam user can handle.
>>
File: liars.png (2KB, 222x45px) Image search: [Google]
liars.png
2KB, 222x45px
>>164991259
I REALLY fucking hate that.
ALSO don't forget
>The NUMBER ONE SUGGESTION on the Unity Feedback page is "EDITOR:Dark Skin Theme in Free Available in Options."
>It's been almost 6 entire fucking years since that suggestion has been posted
>Unity: "Your opinion counts!"
>>
>>164994012
I'm scared.
>>
>>164993602
Oh hey, thanks for the idea!
>>
>>164994317
...Scared to click the links to look at submissions?
Fucking why?
>>
>>164994313
They should replace that with "Your wallet counts"
>>
>>164993302
Are you releasing a demo today?
>>
>>164994403
I don't click links from 4chan.
>>
>>164994313
It's the only immediately identifiable way to tell that someone is using pro. It's not that they haven't heard your suggestion, it's that they disagree with that one.
>>
File: 1481162489039.jpg (14KB, 250x250px) Image search: [Google]
1481162489039.jpg
14KB, 250x250px
>>164994403
>>
>>164994539
>>164994627

It's fucking itch.io dude
It's like steam, back when it was small

also

>not clicking links from the OPs of massively popular generals
wtf
>>
>>164994031
Trailing particle scarf thing
>>
File: F.gif (778KB, 234x314px) Image search: [Google]
F.gif
778KB, 234x314px
>>164994462
yes, don't expect too much though. there's no game and no sound, sorry to disappoint
>>
File: Capture.png (298KB, 937x629px) Image search: [Google]
Capture.png
298KB, 937x629px
>>164988425
>>164988562

well this is a little bit better
>>
new thread!
>>164994909
>>164994909
>>164994909
new thread!
>>
>>164991392
Fair enough my man.
You could tweak some shit in ue4 editor to tone it down a bit, but I have no idea how fast itll get. The shittiest machine I used it on is laptop with i7 and some sort of geforce8xx mobile and that was ok once I toned down aa and shadows.
>>
>>164994831
It's alright, any chance to play this game is enough
>>
>>164981050

sorry its Tormentor x Punisher
>>
>>164964701
this is as dumb as installing gentoo
>>
>>164956413

Yeah, I switched to 1.40 a while back to check something and forgot to set it back, it will be 1.20 for release.

I haven't seen the walls being so bad as to make you stuck, I really, really need to finish the plane-intersection code on the character controller, I'm pretty convinced that's the problem there.
>>
>>164993364
I'll test it on real hardware if you do. Did you ever fix the random noise and fades?
>>
>>164993364
Still haven't fixed most of the bugs but it should work a bit better now.
>>
File: IMG_0304.jpg (101KB, 400x358px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0304.jpg
101KB, 400x358px
>>164993302
>>
>>164992858
why not allow selecting characters with 1-4 so you don't have to be a starcraft player to play this?
>>
>>164966221
no offense mate but you're a bit special at games
>>
>>165001280
don't bully
Thread posts: 776
Thread images: 157

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.