[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/dfg/ - Dwarf Fortress General

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 758
Thread images: 161

File: froggy.gif (4MB, 380x273px) Image search: [Google]
froggy.gif
4MB, 380x273px
We wuz kangz edition
Previous thread >>161648437

>Download the basic game here. Current version is Dwarf Fortress 0.43.05
http://www.bay12games.com/dwarves/

>Official forums:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php

>Find a bug? Don't tell us! Tell Toady! Complaining in the thread will accomplish nothing.
http://www.bay12games.com/dwarves/mantisbt

>Have a question? Check the wiki first:
http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/Main_Page

>Fireden archived threads:
https://boards.fireden.net/vg/search/subject/Dwarf%20Fortress/

>Dwarf Therapist (Out of Date):
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=122968.0

>DFHack (Out of date. Alpha version available, expect issues if you use it.):
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=139553.0
Alpha: https://github.com/DFHack/dfhack/releases/tag/0.43.05-alpha1

>Starter Pack (Out of Date):
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=126076.0

>More DF stuff:
http://pastebin.com/AnsHjQ40

>Dwarf Fortress General IRC chat:
http://en.irc2go.com/webchat/?net=freenode&room=dwarffortress
(to connect yourself: https://webchat.freenode.net #dwarffortress)

>A bunch of guides to various parts of fort-based living:
http://imgur.com/a/nGyRF#0

>Video tutorials:
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLBrdUj1adIBD-vgUodaaxebcdqQ4oEWtg
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLD1A3FE72C0DCAC66 (Dated, but good)

>Text tutorials:
http://dwarffortresswiki.org/DF2014:Tutorials
http://members.iinet.net.au/~morty/Getting_Started_with_Dwarf_Fortress.pdf

>This pasta:
http://pastebin.com/iAduXzjn

Strike the earth!
>>
Does cave moss and floor fungus block clay and sand collection? It doesn't seem to for me..
>>
>>161966986
those russians mane
They sure love DF right? We got told about slavic's creative powers before, can someone redpill me on russian autism in games?
>>161968035
although you are right, I got the chance to be in the house of a friend of mine recently who has the money to make a top-notch build for gaming
That thing would be able to move a game like you said easily, no need to wait years
for real
>>
>>161968462
Do you know about Likot Udendeb? It's an MSPaint adventure styled interactive story set in the DF universe. The original thread is on some Russian forum, but there there is some people on bay12 actively translating it.

In any case, the story seems to be thriving with activity. Now, there's even an adventure game in the making:
>https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9TBdNbS8Ojs
>>
hey op, I was at /int/ when you did that
How sweden actually is in terms of inmigration, could you tell a proper stance on it?
>>
>>161967073
>>161966986
>>161967157
I have no ability in any Slavic language. Could someone tell me where/what these are from? Are they actually Russian DF fanart?
>>
>>161968692
I'd rather not talk about it, especially not in this general. But basically, the borders are closed by now. The dystopian picture some posters give you is 99% memes, and unless seeing brown people on the streets triggers you, the standard of living is on top.

Then, I highly doubt my stance is representative of the average Swede on /int/.
>>
>>161968869
really? good to know
Always seemed really sketchy to me that sweden went in that direction
>>
Bridges are a materials-efficient way to put floors in the sky; aside from raised drawbridges, is there any similarly materials-efficient way to put walls in the sky?
>>
>>161968804
Looks like it. You can google "vertibirdo" for more info.
>>
>>161967591
>Shields are best made out of wood.
I'm not so sure about this anymore. Obviously they're much lighter than metal shields, but you also run the risk of them breaking mid-combat now.
>>
>>161970364
I'm not so sure that armour/weapon wear applies to shields. Has anyone had a shield degrade yet?
>>
>>161970681
They definitely do. The weaker the material the more likely it is, too, so wood is especially vulnerable to this.
>>
File: dzqXAMI.jpg (53KB, 760x572px) Image search: [Google]
dzqXAMI.jpg
53KB, 760x572px
>>161970915
>>
>>161970681
They break. It's knda awesome in fights.
>>
>>161971252
You know, thinking on it I might actually be confusing it with fire damage. I'm pretty sure I've seen my military dwarves running around with worn-out wooden shields, but I can't remember if they'd been fucking around with fire imps in that fort or not. Plus, I don't recall seeing worn-out shields in my more recent forts even after a load of sieges, so I guess I might just be retarded.

Either way, metal shields will still make bashing with them significantly less useless so it might be worth giving them metal shields after they've got their armor user skill up and can move fairly quickly.
>>
>>161972110
fire damage is broken as fuck at the moment, cause toady doesntconsider it a imprtant mechanics for now, so dont worry bout it
>>
>>161968462
how much did he spend?.You could play df no problem with a google supercomputer, but that's not really plausible. What really matters is the consumer grade technology. My 4yr old computer is starting to fall apart and for the same money the power I would get from such a computer is pretty much the same. The advancement has really stagnated.
>>
>>161972110
They break, try in arena to see.
>>
File: men_are_weak.jpg (308KB, 680x798px) Image search: [Google]
men_are_weak.jpg
308KB, 680x798px
>>
>>161972110
They definitely break from being attacked, it's not as fast I don't think, but I'll make a point to try some blocking tests later on.

Also reminder that ninedots' rocks prove why ninedots rocks:
>>161650140
>>161651805
>>161653906
>>161658197
>>161916754
>>161916928
>>161920289
>>
>>161974317
Comparision:
>mine
>Laptop of 9 years, 32 bit, windows xp, 1,72 gb of ram
Moves up to year 4, and inevitably dies in a normal setup, I've never been able to experience long-term fortress mode features. I really dont care because there arent that much to begin with
>his
>1080 p graphics card, i7 processor last gen, about 32 gb of ram, 8 cores (poor guy)
>can make a long-everything world reach year 150 in seconds. Aside from that, I dont know how does it play on fort mode because fucker spends all the time he plays on adv.mode

Life is unfair
Ye, thats unavailable for now(although 1080 is made to be economic tho)but in a couple years, it wont be, and dwarf fortress wont have advanced that much
>>
>>161968284
I kinda wish toady would standardize and cross reference his menus.

It seems like every menu has its own set of hotkeys for doing the exact same thing.
>>
>>161982007
I mean for starters, you should be able to designate things for trade from the stocks menu and use the search function to streamline searching through your stocks without having to hit tab.
>>
You should also be able to integrate meeting halls with taverns without having to activate each one separately.

And if Kennels are obsolete, why not get rid of them? Also, why do you need both vertical grates and bars?
>>
And why in the hell aren't most of the basic workshop functions in the raws? Its annoying that they are hardcoded, because it means you can't disable them easily.

Aside from standardized materials, which I guess Toady loathes, there are few other things from MW that are good ideas, like giving more than one leather or milk per creature when dealing with larger animals.

I think most of the garden vegetables and fruits are bloat, I liked it better when DF had its core crops like rope reeds and muck root, and everything had a dwarfy name. (Not saying fruits and vegetables are a bad idea, but why do you need 5 types of wheat that all do the exact same thing?)
>>
Yeah, I know, DF fucking sucks now.
>>
File: CoinASewer.png (89KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
CoinASewer.png
89KB, 1920x1080px
>>161981476
I'm on an i3-3220, 8 GB ram, GT 730 card, the game runs great, but even adv mode can cause problems on 64 bit when you bump into say, 4000+ elf armies on the map and the game crashes. It would be nice if it actually used more RAM though, even that many elves only pushed me up to 1.2 or so GB.

>>161982878
Most of those veggies and fruits are shit that exists in the world now.
>>
Will we ever be able to take control of dorfs in fort mode? Would be cool to join in as a soldier on invasions.
>>
What pisses me off about the game is how easily the night troll are defeated. They are some of the bigest pussies in adventure mode. If you look in the legends viewer most of them are dead if the world is older than 150 years.
>>
File: ImAVeryImportantPerson.png (110KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
ImAVeryImportantPerson.png
110KB, 1920x1080px
>>161984134
He's kinda leery about that, but mentions it from time to time, you can use dfhack for it though.

>>161985151
Fast, strong, ignore pain, natural skills, like to wrestle and pull your head off... they're much harder than all sorts of vanilla enemies.
>>
>>161983427
>Most of those veggies and fruits are shit that exists in the world now.

thats not really the point.

adding 5 types of wheat doesn't really add anything to the game.
>>
>>161986206
Variety is its own excuse.
>>
>>161986445
no its not.
realism isn't the same as verisimilitude
>>
>>161986739
there is difference between what FEELS real and what IS real. Adding bloat just makes it harder to immerse yourself in the simulation.
>>
>>161983427
Are you walking around with a nigga's nose in your mouth?
>>
>>161986206
No I mean LITERALLY SHIT THAT EXISTS.

All those fruits and veggies were shit I found wandering through various biomes.

You're going through a jungle and see a fucking date or something instead of a plump helmet, it's a nice touch.

You head to other areas and there are orchards of apple trees, peaches, you come across watermelon vines and wild onions.

It's a nice touch, and would be really nice if adventurer mode started you closer to the summer since you so rarely get to find these in the wild.

Then you come across a human hamlet with little vegetable gardens outside the houses, little rows and clumps of berries and veggies and such, it's neat.

Would you rather them just not have food at all?

No, of course not, so what, the humans above ground should also have the underground crops?

Should they just have generic "berry" "tuber" "gourd" "melon" plants?

Hell I look forward to being able to win someone over by pulling out a waterskin with their favorite booze, "oh... is that... perry? how did you know?" and then they're much more inclined to help me do something or whatnot.
>>
>>161986739
You're right. He should rename every plant that is both grindable and brewable to "grindybrew plant" so that we don't have to suffer through fake variety. While he's at it he could rename every tree to "fruit tree," "nut tree," or "cut me". And may as well rename all the fiber-producing plants to "windyweed," since we're cleaning. Boy it sure will be nice to be rid of all that fake variety.
>>
>>161986868
Hah, I think it was a zombie ogre and it took a while to cave the big fucker's skull in so I bit the nose off as a memento.
>>
>>161987230
I could do without all those creature and tangled greenery.
>>
>>161987136
>>161987230
You're an autistic cunt
>>
Look at it this way, I love Stephen King. But you could honestly cut out HALF his wordcount and you wouldn't be able to tell the difference. In fact, it would probably be better for it.
>>
>>161987230
I don't have a problem with having 3 types of berries. Variety is good. But 9? 9 different types of fucking berries? 20 different kinds of wheat? What kind of game needs that much detail?
>>
File: trident.png (331KB, 522x400px) Image search: [Google]
trident.png
331KB, 522x400px
>>161991018
>>161991567
>all variety in DF offends me, please remove it
fuck off
>>
You don't think 2001: A Space Odyssey couldn't have been improved by cutting an hour of film?
>>
>>161991702
The fact that you are defending this shit makes me think your part of Toadies little cult.

Forums are filled with blowhards who never even played the game who like to kiss up and pretend like like they are experts when they never even got the game to boot up.

Fans like you are what killed the franchise, people who get hyped for the prequels and then piss and moan about jar jar binks like you wrote the original screenplay.
>>
Every endearing work has its hangers ons and sycophants, people who crawl out of the woodwork ready to perform analinguis at a moments notice to bask in the lukewarm glow besides the limelight.

Those people are beneath contempt.
>>
>>161991018
(only one of those had a (You) on my side, sweetheart)
>>
So what? So yeah, maybe I want to have a little say in what goes on in the games development. At least I'm not lining up to suck Toadies dick to have the kings ear like so many other people.
>>
>>161991714
I actually agree with you and think that other anon is dumb, but that film honestly could have been a half hour episode of the twilight zone and might have even been better. The pacing is sometimes so slow.
>>
>>161992270
>I dislike this
>i like this
>WOOOOW LOL WHY DONT YOU GET ON YOUR KNEES AND START SUCKING OF THE MAN, WHY DONT YOU MARRY THE MAN
>FUCKING SYCOPHANTS MAN LOL CALM DOWN I WAS JUST CRITIZISING LOL SUCK HIS DICK SOME MORE
>>
I just think Toady is one of those people, when you give him a rubber band, a light bulb and a potatoe, he turns into mcgaiver, but you give him too many resources and he doesn't know what to do with himself.
>>
>>161991938
>part of Toadies little cult
Why is it that everytime someone starts complaining about features (i.e. the taverns, libraries, or in this case, the flora) they always resort to this argument?

Are you actually one guy who constantly feels the need to shit the general up with things that belong in the suggestion forum?

Also, the fruit and plant variety doesn't hurt the game. If you you're mad that another feature didn't make it, just stick to that, don't talk about existing features as if they were the problem.
>>
>>161992451
What happens on 4chan stays on 4chan
>>
>>161992570
>don't talk about existing features as if they were the problem.

But they ARE the goddamn problem!

Half the features in the game don't work, 90% of the content is just needless bloat, the menus are obnoxious, the micromanaging is tedious, the game is bugged to shit, and if it weren't so god damn fun to play and try to figure out, I'd have tossed it in the trash a long time ago!
>>
This thread is giving me a feeling of deja vu
>>
>>161992841
I mean, what the hell is this game trying to train you to do? Program assembly?
>>
To fix Dwarf Fortress

We must remove Dwarf Fortress
>>
>>161979583
Just like an elf to equate a passing conversation to the species at large. In the most melodramatic way too.
>>
>>161992841
Well, I happen to think that the diversity of plants give the game flavour. The recent manager update partially removed the need for micromanagement.

Lastly, Toady's ironing out the bugs when he gets the chance. Actually, I can't think of any remarkable bugs that drag the current version down, except perhaps the broken archers.
>>
>>161992270
>implying Toady even reads shit here
>implying shit would be better if only someone would listen to you
>implying your view is correct because reasons

Look hon, it's cute that you think your opinion matters, even if I could make you stop thinking that, I wouldn't, because I would have to care about it.

As it is though, I can not bring myself to care enough to even argue about your opinion, but what I can do is point out when you're missing something or flat out wrong.

Thinking that the game would be better without the autistic level of detail Toady puts into shit is an opinion, it literally couldn't be more worthless than it already is.

Acting like you can't just prove us wrong by modding the game to demonstrate that things are actually better like this is where you are missing something.

Acting like the addition of variation in a few fucking plants is having any sort of impact on performance or the typical game experience is where you are wrong.

>>161992841
...so, you enjoy trying to figure it out, but think reducing the complexity in ways which actually don't make it any harder to figure out would somehow help?

Is it so hard to figure out the meaning of words like "watermelon vine" or "blueberry seeds" that you would be doing better with "melon vine" and "berry seeds" somehow?
>>
You guys know he's just shitposting right
>>
>>161991567
Having variety makes reading the stories more personal.

But there's obviously something to be said for things like masterwork that balloon shit out twice or three times over because we don't have a peg of square shape in the available square to rhombus connection. Which leads to needing rhombus to ovaloid connections. And then ovaloid to square and octagon splitters.

I think his solution for animal-men and lycanthropy is inelegant. Causes a lot of redundancy.

But its his game and may do with it as he wishes. In 30 or 40 years, it'll be open source and we'll have all the forks you could ever want.
>>
I'm sorry, its just that... Dwarf Fortress has been like my lifeline for the last couple of months, its all I've got to do. I live in the middle of bumfucked nowhere where there is no one to talk to and everybody is redneck, a hipster or both, and the game is driving me crazy!

Everytime I want to do something I have to navigate through a hundred different menus and fiddle with a billion little settings to try to get it to do something that MIGHT work, then wait to see it does and if not try again.

Eventually you start to notice little patterns, like how you can never just order someone to DO something, you just have to SUGGEST and hope they follow your orders.

DF is the only thing distracting me from how fucking pointless and meaningless it all is, its the one thing I can control, and everytime something breaks I have total fucking meltdown!
>>
>>161993506
Play adventure mode and legends only like me then.
>>
>>161993506
You should probably sit on a knife if you're using DF as escapism from your self-pity.
>>
>>161993250
Shut the fuck up, you pretentious little wanker. If you talked to me like that in real life I'd kick your fucking teeth in
>>
>>161993636
>>161993734
stop stirring this shit up
>>
>>161992290
No one would be talking about it today if it weren't as it was made.

Because it has just enough 'did it on purpose' clout to make people rethink dead air and justify it as brilliant.

If it were cut down and you had none of the long drawn out sequences where you get what's happening three seconds in and have to wait for the next 2 minutes, it'd have been neat and then never discussed again.
>>
>>161993636
What the fuck do think Dwarf Fortress IS?

Its an escape from the deepest, darkest part of our life, the fact that we experience the world vicariously and spend 90% of our time in front of monitor or tv screen.

Its the funeral dirge for our lives.
>>
>>161993506
why not try the rapist or dfhack if the job controls irritate you this much
also no wonder you have a love/hate relationship with the game if it's all you do at the moment, that's just not healthy
find yourself some hobbies man, or you're going to slowly go insane
>>
>>161993898
It's an ant farm with a pause button. Stop being an angsty teen and get a job.
>>
You guys know he's just shitposting right
>>
>>161993898
isn't that every game though
>>
>>161994007
your a funny guy.
I'll kill you last.
>>
>>161994040
No, because DF makes you aware of it.
>>
>>161993734
So cute, can we get a "fukn rekt m8" in there too?

>>161994012
Shhh, we do, but he might not realize we know he knows we don't care.
>>
Honestly, I'd buy all your autistic shitpicking if it weren't for one simple fact.

Tell me you don't love it. Tell me you don't love the god damn game. Tell me that music didn't haunt you down to the core of your soul the first time you played. Tell me the hopeless exasperation at trying to comprehend a truly alien environment, a totally obtuse interface, tell me it didn't give you just a little bit of hope when you started puzzling together that hopeless mess...

Tell me playing dwarf fortress wasn't like rooting for a lost cause, wasn't like nursing a grudge, wasn't like giving a middle finger to everyone who had pidgeon holed you as a hopeless case.

Tell me it wasn't the first thing you truly understood that you could understand that other people couldn't, that it didn't put you through the looking glass and make you think about why YOUR opinions should be discounted, but some IDIOTS feeble rhetoric should place him on a pedastal.

Tell me it didn't please you to do something others found impossible, like playing a concerto at a music hall or peicing together a masterpiece.

Tell me it didn't make you feel like you were different, special, that you could enjoy something only a handful of other people in the world could do.
>>
>>161994779
>Tell me that music didn't haunt you down to the core of your soul the first time you played.
Not him, but I've been playing this game since before there was a z-axis and I've never heard the vanilla music.
>>
>>161991018
desu, not even him, but you are the cunt here, he brings up good points
>>
>>161994779
Not that anon but when playing dwarf fortress for the first time didn't feel like that at all.
>>
>>161992841
desu, most of you forget that the game is in alpha, and will be for a long time

Toady has the task to make one of, if not the, most complex game of all time
So many things, all of them tangling together and forming enormous messes if not taken care off
The only way he can sanely manage to spend 30-40 years of his life programming this without becoming crazy is to try not to care much and follow your guts
As >>161987136 says with the example of perrie wine, this variety could and will serve some purpose in the future, as many thing that Toady is creating slowly but steadily now

Its not that he is adding, ''variety for the sake of variety'', but he is actually implementing small parts of a certain mechanic, but to us it seems bloat because, unlike Toady, we do not have the bigger picture

If you think about it, releasing a constant stream of sand onto the ground is an easier way to make a pile in rather than instantly spawning towers from the soil, expecting them to mantain equilibrium without falling
Takes way more time, but you end up with a solid construction
Of course, if anyone passes by, they'll just see a dumb fuck pouring sand on the street, but they dont know
>>
File: 634805869480647.jpg (75KB, 1000x742px) Image search: [Google]
634805869480647.jpg
75KB, 1000x742px
>>161994779
not the guy you're talking to, but I've honestly never felt elitist about being a DF player.

the first time I was exposed to it was around 2007-2008, when I was like 14 years old. I didn't understand anything and gave up after a few minutes, and then forgot about the game for a few years.

during my first year of high school (2010), I stumbled upon the game again, and this time I stuck to it. for the first few years, I almost exclusively played adv mode. it wasn't until the very end of the wait between 0.34 and 0.40 that I actually got into fort mode and began to understand it.

since then, I've been a pretty normal DF player. I've never felt that elitistic sense of superiority that you describe.
>>
>>161994012
>>161994329
Prove that we are autists
We have created reverse shitposting
Well done lads, proud of you
>>
File: mozart wkurwiony.jpg (351KB, 812x816px) Image search: [Google]
mozart wkurwiony.jpg
351KB, 812x816px
apparently DF stopped recognising my saves all of a sudden. they're still in their respective folder, but the game tells me to "create a new world"
wat do?
>>
>>161997128
Pretty sure /b/ invented reverse shitposting like a decade ago. Come to think of it, /b/ has probably invented every possible variant of shitposting, as well as their ironic and post-ironic forms. They're practically the Dwarf Fortress of shitposting.
>>
>>161998405
Do you have more than one version of DF downloaded? If so, are you sure you're launching the right one?
If that's not it, try downloading a fresh copy and move your saves over.
>>
>>161998452
seeing /b/ and DF in the same phrase confuses and bothers me
>>
>>161993896
You might be right, I just think that it would be overall better with more compact storytelling. Though things tend to be that way for older films.
>>
>>161998452
Is post-ironic shitposting just shitposting, or an advanced version of it? How far can we go? How can we know that everyone in our life isn't just shitposting in a level far beyond our understanding?
>>
>>161999203
those type of questions, anon of mine, are what keep me up at night sometimes
>>
>>161999203
post-irony is a state beyond irony, where you're stating something like you're being ironic, but in reality you aren't
thus, post-ironic shitposts are shitposts that look like they're ironic but really they're just shitposts
boteanon's posts could be a good example
>>
>>161999561
The real question if this is the key in reaching a higher level of understanding, or if it ultimately will only spiral out of control not amounting to anything.
>>
File: ✜♢✜♆✥♆✜♢✜.png (296KB, 999x666px) Image search: [Google]
✜♢✜♆✥♆✜♢✜.png
296KB, 999x666px
>>161921962
.:.:.:.:.:.
>>
>>161999203
it was inevitable.

So what determines the amount of total z-layers for an embark? I don't change stuff like z-layers between levels at worldgen and like 95% of my embarks are on planes and have like 100 z-layers, but my most recent mountain embark only has like 30 layers before magma sea which sucks because its got hematite.
>>
File: when_you_embark_just_right.png (73KB, 600x652px) Image search: [Google]
when_you_embark_just_right.png
73KB, 600x652px
>>162001470
>>
>>162001858
That's easy access to magma, you should make use of it.
>>
>>162001858
Edges of biomes are often weird, edges of biomes and embark tiles are weirder, edges of biomes on the edge of an embark tile on the edge of a world-map tile are the weirdest.

>>162001470
Once again showing that ninedots' rocks prove ninedots rocks.
>>
>>162001858
That's still more iron than you'll ever need.

We're talking about up to 10 000 or more iron bars, depending on the size of the embark.
>>
>>162001858
Part rng, part layers between levels setting, part surface elevation change when embarking on multiple biomes. Outlier rolls for all three in combination can lead to extreme embark depths.
>>
So how much do z-levels affect the framerate? I personally am not so big fan of having hundreds of layers. They might be realistic, but in a game-y sense i feel like having less would be better. Would I miss anything were I to make a world with 1-2 caverns and a lot less rock between them?
>>
>>162004746
You'd essentially have a sandbox with less sand, limiting the size of your megaprojects, as well as giving you less materials for your metal industries.
>>
File: 1258559091344.gif (3MB, 320x240px) Image search: [Google]
1258559091344.gif
3MB, 320x240px
>>162001470
>mfw this reminds me of the Taliban destroying the Buddha statues

This had a lot more impact on me than 9/11 half a year later.
>>
>>162001858
>Sucks
m8 you got easy magma, iron, and candy if that's also higher up
>>
>>162005769
Are you okay, anon?
How the hell does that remind you of that?
>>
>>162006046
it did to me too senpai
It was a big as fuck cliff, and the news portrayed the destruction from far away, like the drawing
>>
I haven't played in a while, is DF still single-threaded? Until we get quantum computers, the speed of an individual core in a processor isn't going to improve much. Toady needs to put concurrency in his game to take advantage of modern day (or even yesterday's) multicore processors
>>
>>162007954
No it's not single threaded and hasn't been for years, but yes it's still not "multi-threaded" in the sense you mean, and by the way: it probably never will be , and even if it will - after three to five years of nothing but preparing the codebase for that - you won't get massive or even appropriate (compared to effort) improvements from that.

It's 64 bit since one version though. There are some minor performance improvements in specific cases that were memory-bottlenecked (amount of ram, not timings) before.
>>
>>162008462
so what is making the game lag now? CPU, RAM? Some base problem with the coding?
>>
>>162008462
> after three to five years of nothing but preparing the codebase for that - you won't get massive or even appropriate (compared to effort) improvements from that.
Why is that? Is it because Toady is the only person programming the game? Because the game is too huge at this point? Or just the way the game is designed? Did Toady ever discuss this in the forum?
>>
File: 1470061985311.gif (146KB, 388x400px) Image search: [Google]
1470061985311.gif
146KB, 388x400px
question: what factors control how/when you get invaded?

>I'm playing on a pocket sized world (my computer is shit)
>the world's history is moderately long
>I capped my population at 75 dwarves
>I've been exporting shitloads of wealth

It's been about 4 years ingame and I still haven't been invaded by anything yet, is this normal? I'm kind of bummed, I'm sitting on a squad of weaponmasters and I'd like to see them massacre some shit
>>
>>162008462
So we're just gonna have to wait for quantum computers
>>
>>162009586
>question: what factors control how/when you get invaded?

1. proximity to goblin civs

2. population sizes of said goblin civs

Also, your wealth has nothing to do with goblin sieges. In vanilla, the only requirement is that you have more than 80 dorfs. This is a yes/no trigger. If you have more than 80 dorfs, you'll be attacked assuming there are gobbo civs who can attack you(regardless of whether they're at war with you). If you have less than 80 dorfs, you literally can't be attacked.

You can change it to 50 or 20 dorfs in the raws if you want.
>>
>>162009586
The progress trigger for being sieged is 80 pop. Creating and exporting more wealth helps as well, but usually when someone asks this question they think they're a lot richer than they actually are.
>>
>>162009045
>Why is that?
Because parallelization isn't going to speed up parallel processes that need to be in sync with each other. It doesn't help that temperature and item displacement has already been calculated on another core if the game still has to wait for pathfinding anyway (and vice versa, just an example).
Of course it's possible that there are improvements here and there - I'm convinced that it would be a higher performance increase in more general situations than 64bit was. But it will also be infinitely more complex, tedious and difficult to write. And all the bugs that might get resolved by such thorough code rewrite and review are offset by new bugs introduced by such a thorough code rewrite.

Multi threading is seen by some people as some panacea for DF that will solve all performance problems at once and forever; and some of these same people are incredibly offended that Toady doesn't "just rewrite DF real quick" to take advantage of multithreading.

>>162009007
The nature of a game like Dwarf Fortress. And Toady's coding doesn't help either.
>>
>>162009793
Undoubtedly there are improvements to be made: code can be optimized, some features may become more abstract, and so on.
In general though, yeah - DF will always have shit performance. Detailed simulation doesn't come for free.

And you have to consider what people want and accept too. DF is as it is because it's just barely acceptable. When computer technology will advance, DF won't get better performance at the same level of simulation, but instead people will want more detailed simulation at the same performance.

Also while we're at it
>Multi threading is seen by some people as panacea for DF that will solve all performance problems at once and forever [which it isn't and which it won't]

The same is true for Quantum Computing in regards to technology.
>>
What version do you guys play?

Im curious to see if people are still clinging to old builds that they like, I clung to an older build back before sieges were initially broken. Sadly I've jumped to the latest LNP mostly because I just like taverns.
>>
Huh. Embarked near a tower for extra fun, and the siege arrived and immediately vanished.

Anyone know whats causing this?
>>
>>162011212
Current version. Always.
>>
>>162011212
43.05 with DF hack. No longer need Rapist so I'll probably just use whatever lastest version DF hack has updated to from now on
>>162011351
was it like a few zombies or a necromancer just wandering through your embark and went off screen?
>>
>>162011351
It's a bug that's been around for a while. Since early in .40. The oldest report I found from a brief check was http://bay12games.com/dwarves/mantisbt/view.php?id=9202, which was reported for 42.01 but it definitely predates that version. It affects a minority of embarks, but when you get it once you're likely to get again on the same embark.
>>
>>162011212
0.43.03 with all the starter pack goodies. Call me autistic, but simple things included like TWBT make it worthwhile
>>
Anons is there a way to locate a specific room owned by a certain dwarf?
I want to improve the rooms of my nobles but I can't find their room because I made all the rooms identical.
>>
>>162014584
(R)ooms list.
>>
>>162014902
Thanks anon.
>>
how do copper weapons/armor hold up against goblin invasions?

I never really found any iron on my new world
>>
>>162015069
Good enough if you've got a decent military.
>>
>>162015069
Mediocre but feasible. If the siege is led by a demon or has lots of creatures like Cave Dragons and Ogres than a lot of traps are a solid idea.
>>
I have a watchtower outside by my forts entrance so I can fire arrows on invaders but the sunlight makes the dwarves naseous and the vomit all over the place.

How do I roof my tower but retain firing capabilities?
>>
>>162016240
by putting a roof over it? I don't understand the question. Are you firing upwards a lot?
>>
>>162016240
By building a roof over it, just like anything else? [b]uild -> [C]onstructions, either a [r]amp or stairs, then slap a floor down as a roof.

Alternatively just let your dwarves out in the sun more. Open up the roof to your tavern, and let your military train in the sun. Cave adaptation can be pretty disadvantageous when you need to get rid of an invading army quick (say, before merchants arrive).
>>
>>162016552
>>162016567
Right, was pretty easy. Thank you.
I have no previous experience building outside or even upwards inside
>>
Does making walls and floor smooth increase the wealth of my fort is it just pretty for my dwarves ?
>>
>>162017109
Both.
>>
Ok, I did some tests

For these tests I've made several human variants, each of of them has 1100 in one of their attributes, for example, the "human100str" has 1100 strength and the "human100agi" has 1100 agility. There's a variant for each of these nine attributes, strength, agility, toughness, endurance, focus, willpower, intuition, spatial sense and kinesthetic sense.

Here is the raw http://pastebin.com/Xcpy3KX1

In all the tests both fighters are using an iron short sword, in the first set they fight nakes and with adept weapon, dodging and observer skill, in the second set they have iron armor and adept weapon, dodging, observer and armor user skill.

Out of 100 rounds, the human won 51 times and the human100str won 49. In the second set the human won 49 times and the human100str won 51.

Out of 100 round the human won 51 times and the human100agi won 49. In the second set the human won 42 times and the human100agi won 58.

Out of 100 round the human won 53 times and the human100 tou won 47. In the second set the human won 50 times and the human100 won 50.

It seems like 100 extra points of strength or toughness don't change things much, but 100 points of agility do.

These are all the tests I did today, I'll also post the results here http://pastebin.com/UJ7k2UjX

Finishing all these tests is gonna take some time.
>>
>>162017278
Nice I've been smoothing the whole floor where my dwarves live and eat for in real life hours but it still isn't done and meanwhile more migrants have come by the dozens.
>>
>>162017396
you have earned your title of testanon
That's a shitload of job you gonna do, good luck and thank you
>>
I think drawfags and shitposters estimulate a personality cult and should be banned.
>>
So I'm wanting to get into Dwarf Fortress, I'm assuming the wiki + Lazy Newb Pack is the way to go?
How hard should it be if I have learned grand strategy games and RimJob with relative ease?
>>
Fucking goblin shit killed one of my sheep and ran off after I send in the guards.
Is there anything to do against this ?
Should I put permanent soldiers around my herd ?
>>
>>162018278
>I'm assuming the wiki + Lazy Newb Pack is the way to go?
Vanilla is the way to go. Just download the game and play it.

>How hard should it be if I have learned grand strategy games and RimJob with relative ease?
The game itself is easy as fuck. It just got the "DF is hard" meme because the general audience cannot into hotkeys, so anything that forces them to use it is a TRUE TEST OF SKILLZ.
>>
>>162018763
fence or moat
>>
>>162018278
DF isn't hard. Just a little full of detail sometimes.

fuck the lnp, download vanilla and follow the quickstart guide until you feel comfortable.

It's imperative for your fun to not follow the quickstart guide too closely. Experiment yourself, and take risks. Use the wiki for factual questions (what's a monitor lizard, where do I create parchment, what's the melting point of silver), and be creative and have fun with your fortress layout.

Losing is a normal part of the learning process. Don't be clingy with your forts, let it go and make a new one.

Also, take special note on this part of the guide:

http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2014:Quickstart_guide#Situational_Awareness
>>
>>162019130
You mean a wall around them ?
>>
>>162019196
sure
>>
>>162019142
>>162018278
As for graphics:
Symbols are easy to learn (just loo[k] at things you don't know), you don't need a detailed tileset. If you want to prettify your fort, check out taffer, myne or wanderlust.
The main reason vanilla is ugly is the horrible color scheme, so consider swapping that out.

The tileset is just a image file, the color scheme is just a text file. No need to install utilities. More info here:

http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/Graphics
>>
>>162019142
>>162019028
Thanks!
>>
>>162018278
Wiki yes, a thousand times yes.

LNP not so much. It does a lot of useful things and comes packaged with several useful utilities. A brand new player won't have much use for most of those utilities, and won't know which things are Dwarf Fortress and which are utilities. You'll be playing an already out of date version as well (LNP isn't updated for the current version), and will furthermore train yourself to be dependent on utilities to play, always waiting for autistic volunteers to update their pet projects before you can join the rest of us playing the current version. I recommend starting with vanilla and using utilities and mods as you discover the need/desire for them. Lazy Newb Pack is something of a misnomer; it's a launcher with an .init editor and a bundle of utilites that experienced players will get the most use out of.
>>
Where do I find military elves to slaughter? I was going on an elven genocide but I was just killing simple bowyers, merchants, and civilian elves. Died eventually because I forgot my followers when I climbed a tree so when I slept the boogeymen got me.
>>
I have already played this for over a year. I already got most of it down and I want to start a "challenge" like starting in a Tundra or in a place with few resources and reach some goals like building X thing or something.

Is there a list of interesting ones aside from the wiki?
>>
>>162020618
Good question
>>
>>162021114
How about a multilayer aquifer map + sacrificial pyramid that spans the entire map in terms of depth/height and area
>>
File: 1462458574225.jpg (40KB, 560x560px) Image search: [Google]
1462458574225.jpg
40KB, 560x560px
>>162017396
Good job testbro
>>
anybody have the picture with the guy trying to enter some monestary or something and a dude stops him and says he needs to prove he's forsaken pleasures of the flesh and he just holds up the DF handbook?
I need it for reasons
>>
File: 1450631602177.gif (65KB, 468x769px) Image search: [Google]
1450631602177.gif
65KB, 468x769px
>>162024846
>>
>>162025169
thanks anon
>>
>>162009007
Do you know what a cache miss is?

Do you know what a page swap is?

>>162018259
If you can explain what "estimulate" means, we'll get right on that.
>>
>>162026167
umm when you can't find something in the cache so you have to access a slower form of memory
i dunno about a page swap, but if it's related to a page/swap file on a hard drive then i'd guess it's when you access program data that was stored on the hard drive instead of the ram
>>
File: the shields of Zanegorshar.png (80KB, 1899x1043px) Image search: [Google]
the shields of Zanegorshar.png
80KB, 1899x1043px
>>161970364
>>161970681
>>161970915
>>161971987
>>161972110
>>161976845
I was reading this conversation this morning and decided to look around my fort to see if there was any evidence that shields could be damaged in combat. I hadn't seen any, so I was suspicious.
I still have on hand the entire arsenal of the most recent siege my fort received. I looked through all the shields and couldn't find one that had received any damage.
>>
>>162027570
Yus!

Cache misses hurt, but you barely notice because pulling from ram is still quick, a page swap from disk to ram is soul-crushing.
>>
>>162027671
Use steel shields, copper or iron are bad anyways.
>>
File: Asen's main shield.png (9KB, 1160x259px) Image search: [Google]
Asen's main shield.png
9KB, 1160x259px
>>162027671
It's possible that this is just because my military is all legendary, and none of the invaders ever got to block.

So then I decided to look at the shields of every member of every squad of my militia. Most of them are using exceptional or masterwork bronze shields that have been in service for well over a decade, and have seen heavy combat use. None of those have any damage either.

One of my more recent military additions is Asen Sarveshserith. He's been in service for just under 8 years. He's notable because I made him a dual shield wielder, and both of his shields are copper. He has used the same pair of shields since his enlistment, and has used them in many battles both as a weapon, often against armor of superior metals, and for defense. Neither of his shields has suffered any damage.

I know this doesn't prove anything, but I remain skeptical until someone can show me a shield breaking or taking damage.
>>
>>162028310
Wew, double shield user?!
i never thought it was possible.
>>
File: Zuntir's buckler.png (10KB, 1108x293px) Image search: [Google]
Zuntir's buckler.png
10KB, 1108x293px
>>162028795
I've actually got four of them. Asen is the only one in my primary squad, and he was enlisted when my third squad was split off from them. My first and best speardwarf became the captain of the third squad, which is composed of 4 speardwarves, 3 marksdwarves, and 3 who use a steel buckler/bronze shield combo.
Dual shield users aren't great at killing, but they're pretty damn cool and fun to put in the field.
>>
>>162029475
Nice weaponry you have there.
I guess a legendary shield user with dual shields/bucklers is a goddarn immortal pest in the battlefield.
>>
>>162027671
Use dfhack, gui/gm-editor on the item and check wear/wear_timer, both should be 0.

The army I murderered had quite a few shields with x and X wear from the period where I was swinging slade weaponry around.
>>
Should i start in a haunted region?
Quite up for the challenge, what should i do when embarking?
>>
>>162029687
Yeah, I really like doing dual-shielders and I usually make a couple in every fort I do. It came back and bit me in the ass once in this fort, though.
Asen was on guard duty near the trade depot, which is very close to the edge of the map, and one of the main locations that threats like to appear. A werechameleon showed up. He was on it in no time, but couldn't seal the deal. Some passing civvies jumped in and 3 of them were bit. One died almost instantly, a legendary brewer, one of my starting 7, and the creator of an artifact adamantine morningstar (via possession). One of the others was also a legendary brewer. The third was my longtime mayor, who had also created an artifact weapon via possession, the platinum mace my duchess uses. The latter two were exiled to the 3rd cavern and killed by a forgotten beast almost a year later. To top it off, I forgot to appoint a new mayor before the liaison arrived, so I lost the chance for a trade agreement that year when the mayor finally died. Asen has been trying to make up for it ever since.
>>
>>162030185
Actually never mind, I just did science myself.

Two vampire elves with the same skills in the arena, one with copper shields, one with steel shields. Steel user won, copper shields had no wear, and steel user blocked several times, no wear.

Switched and made a new one with a holy oak (better than steel by a bit) hammer and shield. Deliberately blocked them several times, deliberately attacked them several times and was blocked, no wear.

Shields do not take damage from blocking.
>>
>>162030729
Make sure to try and stay indoors as much as possible
>>
>>162030729
silver weapons
>>
>>162031190
Solves that. Thanks for checking.
>>
>>162031865
I'm guessing that the damage I observed was on stuff which had been sitting out in the elements for a while.

Do metal items rust?
>>
Been messing around in arena with the various animal men, seeing which one would be fun to pick and champion for the tournament. I read that tourneyanon is considering weight classes, so I decided to give serpent men a shot. Since Serpent men can paralyze smaller creatures like dwarves and humans, I'm thinking of trying to capitalze on that by making a serpent man who is really good at just biting, then putting all my points into defensive stuff so that the serpent man can wait/dodge it out until the enemy gets completely paralyzed. the main problem is that from my very rough and unscientific testing it seems to take about 100 ticks for the poison to paralyze a human male, which gives enough time for the human to mortally wound the serpent man. Another thing is that even with grand master biting and fighting, the serpent man can't seem to even pierce copper armor. Trying to figure out how to make a serpent man viable, so help would be nice. Does lashing with a tail equivalent in to kicking in terms of usefulness? Because it seems to level up the kicking skill.
>>
>>162032761
No. Armor items can wear if they're left sitting in a refuse pile (probably a bug), but I don't know if that applies to shields. Aside from that, fire is the only way I know of to damage them.
>>
I've been playing fortress mode on and off for a long time now but I'm still pretty bad at it. I almost never use above ground fortifications (A moat at most) because building them takes forever to resolve and occasionally my dwarves would get stuck on something, Most times I just mine out a bunch of little rooms near the surface with a farm but then I have no idea what to do for the rest of the game, I never reach cavern level or anything like that.

What's the general workflow for building towers and stuff? How many z levels sould the average tower be? How deep should I dig? How big should a vertical mineshaft be? Where do I split off my mineshafts for mining stone and ore? How deep underground should my main fort be? I never properly figured these parts of my forts out so I'm curious to hear your suggestions.
>>
File: ThatsAFucktonOfElves.png (190KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
ThatsAFucktonOfElves.png
190KB, 1920x1080px
>>162034402
These were items sitting out in the wilderness from a big adventure mode battle.

Was from this one, I ended up whittling that 2307 elf army down until it didn't show a * on the map anymore and the battle covered multiple embark tiles across two different world map tiles.
>>
>>162035410

> How many z levels sould the average tower be?
What do you mean? Make them as tall as you want them to be. I don't think dwarves can shoot things that are tens of z levels below them, so don't go overboard I guess. I tend to make walls around 3 z levels as very few enemies will be able to climb further than 2

> How big should a vertical mineshaft be?
Don't make those. Specifically 3x3 ones. Those are for gays, anon
>>
>>162035410
>How deep underground should my main fort be?
You're main fort should always be in the stone layer at least with things like animals and farms in the dirt layer.
>Where do I split off my mineshafts for mining stone and ore?
You should never have to mine just for stone if you're doing normal expansion in the stone layer.
As you're digging deeper just look up certain types of stone in the wiki to see what ores spawn in them so you know where to look.

>>162036051
> How big should a vertical mineshaft be?
>Don't make those. Specifically 3x3 ones. Those are for gays, anon

Then what do you recommend?
>inb4 spiral fag
>>
>>162036168
I make irregular ramps/stairs here and there in a semi-organic fashion, and then a big slope down to the caverns. My fortresses tend to be big with fancy wide halls and not particularly optimized
>>
>>162035410
Don't listen to >>162036051 >>162036392
Make your vertical main staircase 3x3 up/down stairs and when you hit a cavern find a place that you can go all the way down and redirect your staircase to there.
>>
File: 1433443985571.jpg (142KB, 900x675px) Image search: [Google]
1433443985571.jpg
142KB, 900x675px
>>162036741
welp, that's what most newbies do. I guess it's easier but it's still pretty gay anon. You're spoiling him
>>
>>162037009
Is there really any benefit by doing an "organic" staircase? Efficiency > Looks
>>
File: BegoneFear.png (111KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
BegoneFear.png
111KB, 1920x1080px
>>162037128
>3x3
>efficiency > looks
wat

A 1x3 or 3x1 or whatever is just as efficient, an array of single or double stairs spaced around the fort is more efficient. People do 3x3 because it's easy and they think it looks right.
>>
>>162037128
>Efficiency > Looks
faggot
>>
File: 1429152850264.jpg (61KB, 480x636px) Image search: [Google]
1429152850264.jpg
61KB, 480x636px
>>162037128
>Efficiency > Looks
Disgusting

What good is efficiency? You don't even need individual rooms then, just make a big square filled with decorations and place a bunch of beds next to each other and use the same room for every individual bedroom. Dwarves won't know the difference. You can also completely ignore taverns, temples to an extent and the broken justice system.

In fact, if you're going for efficiency, just get a bunch of materials from the start of the game and then wall off your dwarves in some dirt mound. Having an eternal fortress is not exactly a challenge in the current build you lazy pleb
>>
File: 1454299777320.png (776KB, 800x600px) Image search: [Google]
1454299777320.png
776KB, 800x600px
>>162037646
>>162037668
>>162037808
>taking "Efficiency > Looks" as an absolute
>>
>>162037646
>>162037668
>>162037808
Be nice guys, every player goes through the "muh efficiency" phase. Then they realize that they've been making and abandoning the same cookie cutter fort over and over, wondering why they can't stay motivated to play an embark for more than five years, then they give up and start actually playing the game instead of just going through the motions.
>>
File: 1452627105970.png (90KB, 1812x282px) Image search: [Google]
1452627105970.png
90KB, 1812x282px
>>162038675
oh, so now efficiency is relative? So a central 3x3 staircase is ok but not spreading up/down stairs everywhere isn't? 3x3 fags everyone
>>
>>162039207
Spreading up/down staircases everywhere is still good, but only doing that with no central staircase isn't
>>
>>162038929
>wondering why they can't stay motivated to play an embark for more than five years
literally fps death
>>
>>162038929
My forts are all still fairly organic, I just like things like that to be very efficient so my fort doesn't just grind to a halt all the time
>>
>>162039426
If your fort grinds to a halt because of stair efficiency you're doing something very wrong.
>>
>>162039338
>but only doing that with no central staircase isn't
If you're spreading up/down staircases everywhere you don't need a central one. You can have several small staircases leading to the cavern layers
>>
>>162039659
>dwarf needs to go to the cavern layer
>has to walk over 1000 extra steps to get there

not to mention that the extra pathing each dwarf has to do increases CPU load only further contributing to FPS death
>>
magic system fucking when
>>
In my opinion efficiency and style should be two halves of the same coin. It's not necessarily stylish to have a bunch of illogical staircases or make your dwarves go down unnecessary corridors in order to reach the cavern layer. A large mineshaft for that reason makes sense, but I agree that a super efficient design in the DF engine would look a lot worse in real life. I guess the golden rule for me is that "If it makes sense IRL then it should look good in game."
>>
>>162040256
myth arc
>>
>>162039830
>>has to walk over 1000 extra steps to get there
I don't think you understand what "everywhere" means. It means everywhere. You don't need hallways, just make available tile in your 20x20 square room into a up/down staircase. Aside from workshops and stockpiles every other tile can be a staircase. Your dwarves will interpret that design as being able to float around your fortress.

>not to mention that the extra pathing each dwarf has to do increases CPU load
Bullshit. This kind of "extra pathing" does nothing significant to fps. The only consistent way of dealing with fps death is loading smaller maps and having less dwarves.
>>
>>162040351
>loading smaller maps and having less dwarves.
And I guess digging less and avoiding fluids flowing on the map
>>
File: Escher's_Relativity.jpg (44KB, 333x317px) Image search: [Google]
Escher's_Relativity.jpg
44KB, 333x317px
>>162040351

>I don't think you understand what "everywhere" means. It means everywhere. You don't need hallways, just make available tile in your 20x20 square room into a up/down staircase. Aside from workshops and stockpiles every other tile can be a staircase. Your dwarves will interpret that design as being able to float around your fortress.
>>
>>162040351
>Aside from workshops and stockpiles every other tile can be a staircase.
Do you really do this
>>
>>162040351
>It means everywhere. You don't need hallways, just make available tile in your 20x20 square room into a up/down staircase. Aside from workshops and stockpiles every other tile can be a staircase. Your dwarves will interpret that design as being able to float around your fortress.

Holy fucking shit, anon. That's either amazing or really autistic
>>
>>162040958
No sane person does this. I'm just exposing 3x3 fags for the frauds they are. Efficiency smenficiency, they're just uncreative lazy cunts
>>
>>162041103
No you've just given me the idea for my next fort.
I'm going to make every possible tile a staircase now. I have seen the light of the Escher fort >>162040532
>>
File: 1437844973064.jpg (35KB, 613x695px) Image search: [Google]
1437844973064.jpg
35KB, 613x695px
>>162041186
Uh. Well, that wasn't my intention but sure, give it a try. At the very least it's actually more "efficient" and infinitely less gay looking than a fortress with a 3x3 central staircase
>>
>>162041186
>entire fort made out of staircases
>if someone gets knocked over they fall tens of z-levels to their death because stairs don't count as solid floor and why use floor hatches.
I like it
>>
>>162041482
That's the only "flaw" in that system. And I use the term "flaw" very loosely here, because anything that makes the game fun isn't really a flaw. Sparring in this kind of fortress scenario would be particularly more fun (lethal)
>>
File: articrap.png (95KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
articrap.png
95KB, 1920x1080px
>>162041482
Done it a few times, chunks of up/down staircase blocks are neat, it's like flying through stone.

Also wrote my first new script, since I confirmed recently that artifacts take no damage I made one to just grab your inventory or items individually and set them to artifact quality/artifact flags.

http://pastebin.com/RnTgVzdR
>>
File: paratroopers.png (47KB, 1755x834px) Image search: [Google]
paratroopers.png
47KB, 1755x834px
just woke up from a fever dream lads, rate my idea, shit on it, or tell me that its already been done. During a gobbo siege, raise the main entrance and have military dwarves drop in like ODSTs from halo in minecarts.
>>
>>162042150
how many z levels? This looks like it would be more dangerous to your soldiers than to the goblins
>>
>>162042150
If you're going to do that your dwarfs will probably die on impact, but the carts themselves may hurt the gobbos.
Why not just make a cart shotgun instead?
>>
>>162042272
>>162042395
What if I made the entire ground outside my fortress out of something really hollow like feather tress? if that doesn't work than why not make the mine cart out of feather trees as well??? Its not like the gobbos have fukken AA to shoot my mine carts out of the sky
>>
how to make tamable spiders like dogs, latest df
>>
>>162042150
Your fever dream has been a pasta floating around /dfg/ since like 2012.
It can work, you just have leave them as civilians until you're ready to deploy them. Operating vehicles is a civvie job, so an on duty soldier won't take it. You'll have to activate the squad once they're already in the carts. If you want them to not die either make it a short drop or build a catch track to guide them to ground level.
>>
I'm going to try one of megaprojects, "mine everything out and cast your fortress back in obsidian " to be precise. How hard it will hit my FPS? Should I limit my population up to 20 and atomsmash everything that isn't useful for building or keeping builders alive? Should I go 2x2 or wait fir DFHack and go 1x1? Which magma raising design is more efficient - pumps or minecarts? Should I choose savage region with little or no soil for extra style points or something more peaceful? While I have some expirience with evil regions, this is going to be rather disfunctional fortress.
>>162044040
I'm pretty sure cave spiders are tamable already
>>
>>162044934
I mean like, war spiders
capture tame use for combat?
>>
>>162044934
Can't currently be done.
http://www.bay12games.com/dwarves/mantisbt/view.php?id=8444
>>
>>162045110
It seems like a waste of time, desu. They are vermins. But in case you are talking about giant cave spiders - [TRAINABLE] tag before [PET_EXOTIC].
>>
>>162045305
Shit, guess I'll have to wait till(if ever) it's fixed. But, theoretically speaking, if I accept floors not being obsidian?
>>
>>162046024
Yeah, the walls will work, the floors will just be whatever the original layerstone was after you dig the walls out. You could theoretically get around that by using constructed retaining walls/bridges to cast the walls and and channeling an extra z down for the floors. If you fill only up to where you want the floor level to be and then cast it there you'll get obsidian floors. The challenge with that is using exactly enough water to avoid the obsidian becoming muddy. Once that happens, all it takes is moss to grow there once and it turns the obsidian beneath it to soil no matter what the layer stone is.
>>
>>162045536
Okay, and this will allow me to capture, train, and use them in war similar to dogs?
>>
>>162011836
does it include mouse cursor and autolabor?
>>
>>162046686
Yes, not exactly similar as their main weapon is web and I think your dwarfs, not being [WEBIMMUNE] will stuck within it as well. And their venom is somewhat useless against giant animal, and they can't bite through helmets, so anyone in decent armor pretty much invincible against them.
>>162046352
Thanks, fampai, I'll give it a try.Could you also answer some of these questions? >>162044934
>>
What are your search parameters for iron?

Elevation MEDIUM
Drainage LOW
Flux YES
Shallow metals MULTIPLE
>>
>>162048470
>they can't bite through helmets, so anyone in decent armor pretty much invincible against them.
They'll take helmets off now.
>>
>>162048470
Why not use them with crossbowdwarves
>>
File: Tht3wYw.jpg (102KB, 605x454px) Image search: [Google]
Tht3wYw.jpg
102KB, 605x454px
Let's name the most useless things in the game
I'll start
Bowyer's workshop
>>
>>162050579
Kennels
>>
>>162050579
Elf geldables.
>>
Do you guys have any mods for cybernetics and shit?
I remember I played years ago, and went to great pains to burn my militia a certain amount with lava to remove all fat and unnecessary organs, creating unbleeding skeleton troopers of great survivability.
I am very interested in more ways I can spend lots of resources to directly improve dwarves, before I even start putting equipment on there.
>>
how stable is this df hack alpha?
>>
>>162048470
A lot of your questions depend on more factors than I can answer. The size of the embark will depend on what your computer can handle. How much it will hurt your fps will depend on that and on how big you dig. The more space you dig out, the more fluid movement and temperature changes have to be calculated. That's only a temporary fps hit, though. You'll get it back when the temps stabilize and you stop moving liquids. A pump stack is the way to go for this, unless you embark on a volcano. Minecarts and pistons don't move magma in volumes large enough for what you're planning, even if you go 1x1. I suggest picking an embark with sand for ready access to magma safe material. You can use glass for your pump components. You may want to set up a magma glass furnace at your magma source, minecart sandbags down, and send the minecart back up with your glass pump pieces to a staging area somewhere near the middle of your planned pump stack. I don't think dfhack is necessary for a 1x1 embark anymore, Toady said in a FotF that he couldn't even remember why he made that restriction and that he would lift it, which I believe he did in one of the more recent updates. I may be wrong about that, but it's worth checking if you're thinking about a very small embark.
>>
>>162050579
alcohol
>>
>>162050579
That's unfair. The bowyer's workshop has a very important use. Namely, solving bowyer moods. A lot of my dorfs would have gone mad if it wasn't for the bowyer's workshop.
>>
File: not fast enough.jpg (27KB, 492x390px) Image search: [Google]
not fast enough.jpg
27KB, 492x390px
>>162050579
Elven trade caravans? Here's a glass toy for some avocados. See you next year.
>>
>>162052468
Elven caravans really need some better stuff.
>>
>>162052468
they bring some pretty cool exotic animals tho.

they also used to bring booze before 0.40, I wonder what happened to that.
>>
File: scamps.png (522KB, 465x656px) Image search: [Google]
scamps.png
522KB, 465x656px
>>
File: HehHardScrews.png (90KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
HehHardScrews.png
90KB, 1920x1080px
>>162050916
Haven't had any problems related to it directly and I've been screwing around with shit on a 257x257 world and stupid large groups of units on screen.
>>
File: ııımudoııı.gif (328KB, 666x999px) Image search: [Google]
ııımudoııı.gif
328KB, 666x999px
nines posted this on bay12

I think it's a night troll
>>
File: 2015_03_27_15_41_17.jpg (1MB, 3741x2381px) Image search: [Google]
2015_03_27_15_41_17.jpg
1MB, 3741x2381px
I just found this gem on Timbuk's blog.
>>
>>162052918
It's a bug. You can fix that along with their site taverns with some raw editing but I forget the tags. Perhaps if some kind anon^TM notices he will enlighten us.
>>
Do werebeasts respect forbidden doors? I mean your own dwarves who are infected.
>>
>>162055272
I've had one that I kept behind a door with his own armour rack and he never left it or flipped the rack. That's the only time I've done that though.
>>
Can embark map size be modified somewhere to be 1x1?
>>
>>162055394
He might just have happened to face in the other direction, meaning that he wouldn't see the rack. The vision cones apply in both modes.
>>
File: bump.png (51KB, 1535x124px) Image search: [Google]
bump.png
51KB, 1535x124px
>>162056239
Don't think that was the case. He would train when human and move about a bit.
>>
File: eribtocanar.png (13KB, 1600x860px) Image search: [Google]
eribtocanar.png
13KB, 1600x860px
This insurrection has me almost as confused as Erib Rabathel here.

Dang it, when I signed up to be a fortress guard I thought I'd just be getting a convenient source of "go kill that" missions and companions to go with me. Instead I'm left wondering why half the people are spitting at me, where these folks who aren't attacking me but are attacking the other guards came from and why nobody seems to think there's anything odd about the halls getting painted red.
>>
>>162055783
Didn't Toady make that possible in one of the recent releases? I haven't tried it, since that's not the way I roll.
>>
>>162055251
Fuck, forgot what they were specifically.

I gave them [USE_MISC_PROCESSED_WOOD_PRODUCTS][OUTDOOR_FARMING]

[PERMITTED_REACTION:BREW_DRINK_FROM_PLANT]
[PERMITTED_REACTION:BREW_DRINK_FROM_PLANT_GROWTH]
[PERMITTED_REACTION:MAKE_MEAD]
[PERMITTED_JOB:BREWER]
>>
>>162059601
Cool, thanks.
That makes taverns work again?
>>
>>162055783
>>162059583
It's a simple init edit.
DF>data>init>init.txt/d_init.txt

If you haven't looked at them I suggest doing so, loads of useful little features in there.
>>
File: werebeast aftermath.png (28KB, 667x547px) Image search: [Google]
werebeast aftermath.png
28KB, 667x547px
>>162059790
Whenever I look at the d_init, I start itching for full graphic support.

Just getting the option to make all doors use a single tile of your choice would be a great first step, though.
>>
>>162059723
Should make them show up right in forest retreats, yeah.
>>
I haven't played in ages. Did the rate of migrant waves and size of said waves increase a ton in recent builds? I was at population cap by my third year.
>>
File: ss+(2016-12-07+at+01.47.42).png (118KB, 1382x507px) Image search: [Google]
ss+(2016-12-07+at+01.47.42).png
118KB, 1382x507px
Folks, a cave collapse seems to have flung one of my wordworkers into a tree.
>>
>>162063714
I built an above ground fishery with a roof and walls so the fisherdwarves would be safe, but somehow an oak tree grew inside it and collapsed the roof i had built, causing a cave in which knocked a dwarf into the river, where he fell unconscious and drowned.

Never seen a dwarf fall up though..
>>
File: PileOfFlyingGoblins.png (105KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
PileOfFlyingGoblins.png
105KB, 1920x1080px
>>162063714
That'll happen.
>>
>>162063912
>Never seen a dwarf fall up though..
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rV-0PCIhaF0
>>
>>162064219
an absolute classic
>>
>>162050579
Fish dissectors. Why I get 30 of those and 1 fucking metalsmith in years I don't know.
>>
File: microexpressions_sadness.png (104KB, 497x305px) Image search: [Google]
microexpressions_sadness.png
104KB, 497x305px
page 10 is a jerk
>>
>>162066637
what do they even do, and how does it differ from what fishery workers do?

at least it gives you a bigger pool of unskilled labourers to use for whatever you please.
>>
>>162066751
>what do they even do,
They dissect captured live moghoppers for mog juice. Mog hoppers are a rare spawn absent on the vast majority of maps and mog juice does nothing.

That's literally it.
>>
File: ouch.png (3KB, 582x61px) Image search: [Google]
ouch.png
3KB, 582x61px
Was wondering why my militia commander was gelded yet had two kids to his name. Went into the reports and it turns out he had a recent run in with some local wildlife.

I feel for this dwarf.
>>
>>162063714
He'll starve to death, unless you either build some scaffolding to help him down, or cut the tree.
>>
>>162067354
That's a prizeless combat log.

The best part is that it took place under such mundane circumstances.

It'd make a great Timbukdrew drawing.
>>
>>162025548
may I ask what did you need it to?
>>
>>162067797
The goat kicked him in the head two more times and left. He regained consciousness and his first words after losing his plump helmets was, "Gruesome wounds! This does not scare me."

That was back in the summer of the previous year. It is now spring and he is now standing face to face with a weremoose in the fields all alone (he beat the rest of the squad there). I fear this may be his last fight.
>>
>>162063714
What tileset is that??
>>
>>162068596
post the weremoose combat log when it's over

also, aren't weremoose really fucking huge? if he's as poorly trained and equipped as his friends, he's probably gun die.
>>
File: 78347554325.png (116KB, 1360x728px) Image search: [Google]
78347554325.png
116KB, 1360x728px
>>162068776
I've got it paused at the moment, planning on doing it step by step. Yeah, this is only the second year and I haven't even begun weapons and armor production. All he has is his hunting crossbow. There are two dwarves with picks and some recruits on the way but, I don't think it'll be enough. I probably should have just told the military to station at the entrance while I corralled the population down below but, hindsight is 20/20

>inb4 weremoose strikes down Urist McNonuts then promptly changes back and runs away.
>>
>>162069575
Also, just checked to see if he even had bolts...he does not. Now all that stands between him and were-bullwinkle is a bismuth bronze crossbow

>press f to pay respects
>>
File: microexpressions_fear.png (119KB, 472x302px) Image search: [Google]
microexpressions_fear.png
119KB, 472x302px
>>162069575
>>162069931
>>
>>162067004
Mog juice is edible and high value. It's a lot more work than it's worth, but it isn't useless.
>>
>>162053717
beautiful little beast
>>
File: F.png (6KB, 595x111px) Image search: [Google]
F.png
6KB, 595x111px
>>162070157
As expected he did not last long.
>>
File: 2ec.png (208KB, 327x316px) Image search: [Google]
2ec.png
208KB, 327x316px
>>162070634
>be dorf
>get plumps kicked into oblivion by a goat
>next year, the same thing happens again, but with a weremoose instead of the goat and your head instead of your plumps
>>
>>162070634
The little shit killed a recruit and changed back. Luckily the rest of the squad caught up to him and beat him to a bloody pulp, his head was finally caved by a human mercenary with his copper bow.

Turns out I was wrong about Nonuts having kids, he did have a wife however, she's actually taking his death rather well. The dead recruit on the other hand has had a total 8 kids, 2 of which are residents of the fort, her husband came to her aid of the militia mid-battle only to see his wife killed; He's currently grieving. Well that's two coffins I have to queue up. The first deaths of Zulbanison.
>>
>>162071379
to THE aid of the militia*
>>
>>162071379
>>162071519
Now on to the wounded. There are only two. The replacement militia commander and another recruit. Upon closer inspection of the reports it looks like MC is clean with no bites reported. The recruit on the other hand has suffered a bite. I'd hate to add another body to the deathtoll but, this is like a said a very young fort with a bright future. What should I do with this liability?
>>
>>162072073
jail him for future gladiatorial use.
>>
>>162072073
Do you have a hospital? If you do, just treat him like usual until the next full moon comes around (you can check the specific dates for that on the wiki) and then lock the door. If he turns, you send in your militia, if he doesn't, you let him out.

If he leaves the hospital before the full moon, you lock him into his bedroom instead.

Hopefully, he managed to avoid getting infected.
>>
>>162072292
Won't that just put my militia at further risk. I'm starting weapons and armor production now but, I have less than a month before the next full moon there is no way I can hammer out a complete squad worth of gear before then unless I switch everyones labors over and we go full on war economy mode.

>>162072219
How would I jail him without completely walling him in somewhere?
>>
>>162072073
jail him for future gladiatorial use.
>>
>>162072630
>How would I jail him without completely walling him in somewhere?
You could use a bridge, but why would care? Just completely wall him in somewhere.
You could exile him to a cavern and let him fight to earn his survival. That's my preferred method.
>>
>>162074130
Didn't think about bridges. Guess I'll dig out a small room on the top level and gate it off with him inside. So should I give him furniture in his tiny prison or would it just be pointless because of [BUILDINGDESTROYER]

also would a silver maul be a good weapon for a weremoose who should only be used if the unthinkable happens.
>>
>>162074829
fuck, scratch that. just remembered you cant build mauls, only war hammers.
>>
How many of you are betting on the update being finished this month?
>>
>>161993898
>What the fuck do think Dwarf Fortress IS?
A fun pass-time?
>>
>>162074934
Wouldn't matter, mauls are really brokenly bad. I haven't tried one since the force translation update, which probably benefited mauls more than any other weapon, but in terms of primary damage they'll be outclassed by nearly every other weapon.
Give him a pick, make him a miner/mason and let him build his own shit and dig for his own materials. If you're lucky he'll just knock over his mason's shop once a month.
>>
File: ss+(2016-12-07+at+05.01.18).png (33KB, 728x375px) Image search: [Google]
ss+(2016-12-07+at+05.01.18).png
33KB, 728x375px
>>162063714
Folks, I have an update. He fell out of the tree and mullered himself to death with some logs he was carrying.

Fittingly, he will have a wooden coffin.

>>162068709
CLA.
>>
>be me
>have a good going 120 man fort
>just above the entrance a werebear spawns
>send in the troop
>before the soldiers find and kill it he kills one sheep and 5 dwarves hauling goods
>well that went ok
>fast forward some time later
>urist the weaver transforms in the middle of the housing area
>kills 15 dwarves before it gets killed
>again fastforward
>2 dwarves transform and kill another 15
>from 20 farmers only 10 are left
>the workload for my 6 10x10 farmplots and 8 still becomes too much
>can't replenish booze fast enough
>dwarves go thirsty before booze starts to stack again

Reeeeeeeeee from 4 doctors I went to 1 and my broker which was the only one with the appraiser skill transformed and got killed.
>>
>>162075567
>6 10x10 farms and 8 stills
>can't replenish booze fast enough for 85 dwarves

What the hell anon. That could supply thousands of dwarves with a surplus.
I've been supplying my 125 dwarf fort on 3 1x7 plots and one still for over a decade, and still running enough of a plant surplus for cloth, paper, dye, flour and sugar. I just added a second still and a 4th 1x7 to expand my dye industry and set booze stocks in farflung corners of the fort.
I can't imagine how you could fuck up so badly that your setup is insufficient.
>>
>>162075567
Also, just going to the depot to trade gives the first dwarf to do so for each caravan appraisal skill. So losing your only appraiser makes no difference.
>>
>>162074829
He'll knock down all the furniture, yeah. I'd suggest designating him a temple so he can meditate on his curse.
>>
So this is how it all ends.

Turns out militia commander got infected anyway and the recruit was also infected as feared. Now the former recruit who was in the hospital/barracks is loose because a stone is blocking one of the doors open and the former militia commander is loose dangerously close to the tavern down the hall. Can't wait to see how this plays out. I have a civilian alert for the fortress entrance hopefully this should bait the two into coming up and fighting the human caravan that happens to be stopping by.
>>
>>162076601
Its not only for the use of my dwarves I also sell the booze occasionally.
I used to have 700 dwarven wine which I sold to a caravan for a dozen or so picks and weapons.

>>162076743
Ok that's good to know thanks.
>>
>>162078519
you deserve it for those shitty fort aesthetics desu
>>
>>162078707
>shitty fort aesthetics
I'll bet that would've looked okay after he smoothed it. We see a lot worse here, and he at least has the good sense not to use phoebus or something.
>>
>>162078707
It's better than the straight up and down communist ant hills I used to make.

>can't break the commie room habit though

I tried to limit those rooms to petitioners.
>>
I kind of want to clear a big ol square, like a huuuge open room, and then build a stone city out of it. Like a human city, but underground. Might be good for a human mode playthrough.
>>
File: betterthanexpected.png (68KB, 1360x728px) Image search: [Google]
betterthanexpected.png
68KB, 1360x728px
So my evacuation plan went better than expected and the fort didn't drop from 45 to 10. However upon closer inspection of the aftermath I have found out a couple of disturbing things. Among those lost were the militia commander's own wife and newborn girl. The kicker is he's the one who did it. I went into his profile expecting it to be filled with horror, nope. He didn't feel anything apparently at the slaughter of everyone including his own blood. Other than that, really didn't lose much except for my only master metalsmith, glad I was able to get some good pieces out of him before he bit it. I now know who the werecreatures are for sure and they can now be locked in their permanent side fort.
>>
>>162079360
Comfyanon did that recently, posted a complete armok vision tour as well. It was pretty good. I believe he dug out something to the tune of 30k boulders to do it, too.
>>
>>162081639
I added it on the map archive, too:
>http://mkv25.net/dfma/map-12725-churchguilds

There are plenty of other ways of doing it, though.

I kinda want to try again on a smaller embark, and put more work into the vertical aspect, and less into the horisontal.
>>
So, say two weremoose were to escape from their prison (the gate wasnt finished and I forgot to build a wall) and they went and slaughtered the entire human caravan in the depot, how pissed is the human civilization going to be.

On a side note I now have a metric shit ton of clothing, food, and enough weapons to really kick-start the militia.
>>
>>162082035
Do it man. The more megaforts the merrier.
>>
>>162085064
>how pissed is the human civilization going to be
not very pissed lol
>>
>>162085064
Humans are a lot more sensitive to losses than elves are in my experience. There's a good chance they'll attack. Their clothes and armor will all be too big for dwarves unless you modded their size, but the weapons will be fine.
>>
>>162085334
Really, I thought if they died in your fort or on fort land for any reason they blamed it all on you.

>>162085502
Yeah, that's what I was thinking. Their personal clothes are too large but they brought a good bit of clothing for trade.
>>
>>162082035
>I kinda want to try again on a smaller embark, and put more work into the vertical aspect, and less into the horisontal.

Yeah this was more what I had in mind for my own city.
>>
>>162085689
>they brought a good bit of clothing for trade
Unless something has changed lately the clothes they bring for trade should be their size as well. I haven't embarked near humans in a long time, and I mod my dwarves to be size 62.5 so I wouldn't notice.
>>
Now that 64 bit is out, can we get up to 600 dwarves?

Or is fps death still a thing?
>>
>>162087229
Of course you can't.
>>
>>162087229
64-bit was just a meme.
>>
File: catsuru.jpg (65KB, 411x412px) Image search: [Google]
catsuru.jpg
65KB, 411x412px
>desert
>elves come to tell me to stop underground trees
>>
File: uganda-anit-gay-parade.jpg (43KB, 620x350px) Image search: [Google]
uganda-anit-gay-parade.jpg
43KB, 620x350px
>>162087229
>Or is fps death still a thing?
it was never a thing for people with decent computers.
>>
>>162087567
This is true, I run a 16x16 embark with 2200 dwarves and get a constant 100 fps.
>>
>>162087560
They feel disturbances in the force.
>>
>>162053717
>1 Gillat
dead game
>>
>>162087229
it's just to allow the new spaghetti programming to go over 4gb RAM for world gen
everything else is the same
>>
File: GoodOldFashionedBeatDown.png (136KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
GoodOldFashionedBeatDown.png
136KB, 1920x1080px
>>162087560
Wait, do they fuck around with underground trees? I remember wondering that a long time ago but haven't had a fort where I did anything but laughed as the zombies ate the elves or was flat out at war with them already, so I can't recall checking.
>>
What new stuff are you gonna do in adventure or fort mode after the new update?
>>
>>162089689
>>
>>162089689
Gather as many artifacts as I can and then deposit them next to the slab inside a vault.
>>
>>162089451
Yeah, they count underground trees toward quotas. Or at least they would if their diplomats ever lived long enough to tell you what the quota is.
>>
>>162089689
Continue being town guard and do my best to prevent all these adventurer fuckos from nicking my lord's shit.
>>
>>162089689
Gather artifacts

And the kill everybody, as always
>>
>>162089689
I'm going to dig out a series of rows of squares and rectangles over 3-5 z-levels around a 3x3 staircase. I can't wait.
>>
>>162090769
>over 3-5 z-levels around a 3x3 staircase
but that would be z-level abuse
>>
>>162090385
Speaking of vaults, do creatures beside the player interact with vaults or its that an entirely player thing, and has the Toadster expressed any interest in doing more with Vaults, especially with the myth and magic update in the future? I would like it if I raided a vault that wrote a book on it, causing the readers to become interested and try and raid the vault themselves as well
>>
File: CalmYourself.png (72KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
CalmYourself.png
72KB, 1920x1080px
>>162089689
I'm going to walk into my first town after the update and laugh until I cry at a yakety sax procession of an npcventurer with an artifact, two thieves slinking along behind them, and a horde of people who got it in their head that "artifacts are things to pick up" except the whole chase will probably take place at a normal strolling speed since they won't be in combat, yet actively fleeing/pursuing.
>>
>>162091234
Kobolds steal from them.
>>
File: GoddamnCockyKobolds.png (55KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
GoddamnCockyKobolds.png
55KB, 1920x1080px
>>162092862
Trufax.
>>
>>162093337
Those angels sure like to dispute
>>
buma
>>
>>162093337
>the black fiend
DON'T RELAX
>>
>>162054062
That is pretty abstract.
>>
What's this update you guys were talking about.
>>
So now an elf diplomat told me to stop cutting down trees, I told him no, seized the goods of their traders and killed everyone but the diplomat.

How long until war?
>>
>>162098618
just go to the dev log and read like the last two months worth of entries (it's not that much to read)
>>
>>162099994
Alrighty I gues s they'll also add a lot to fortress mode right?
>>
>>162099641
Nice kill the fucking tree jews.
>>
>>162100245
yup. you'll be able to send squads to other sites, for example. although I don't know if they'll be able to carry out actual attacks, since the main focus is that they should be able to bring back artifacts from other sites.
>>
I'm so fucking hyped for NPC adventuring parties. If I can actually join someone instead of lead them my boner is going to explode through the roof. Let me be a minor character dammit.
>>
>>162099641
maybe like a year? They'll probably try and ambush you first
>>
>>162100820
Oh shit really the other day I was thinking like how cool it would be to raid goblin camps and what not.
>>
>>162100934
Plus the chance to be a right proper villain.

>research the quest but don't accept it
>get to know the group but don't join them
>just kinda linger
>track them
>keep tabs until they forget you're there
>let them go in and do the work
>let them handle the risks of hauling it back
>then slip in the last night
>one of them hear's something
>wakes up to see you strangling his friend
>starts to say something
>you hold a finger up to your lips and shake your head as he realizes he's the last one
>wash the trinket off
>haul it back into town
>explain how you found the other group had been waylaid
>it was too late
>but you'll make sure their killer gets what they deserve
>>
File: CWu1jr5WsAA9t6Q.jpg (21KB, 367x500px) Image search: [Google]
CWu1jr5WsAA9t6Q.jpg
21KB, 367x500px
>>162102025
All that story is missing is for you to unsheath the katana.
>>
>>162102465
That's what villains are supposed to be like tho.
>>
File: coldsteel.png (1MB, 1680x1092px) Image search: [Google]
coldsteel.png
1MB, 1680x1092px
>>162102617
*teleports behind u*
>>
Why do my haulers have no job when there is tons of stone to move?

I even made loads of carts for them
>>
>>162103059
There may be tons of stone to move, but can you say the same about the number of tiles in the stockpile you want it moved to?
>>
>>162103059
move to where?
A stockpile? Is it full?
You can only have 3 wheelbarrows per stockpile.
What do you need all that stone for? Make rock blocks right where the stone is sitting, then transport those away in containers.
>>
>>162103210
>>162103243
I have several half filled stockpiles with room for easily 300 more stone
>>
>>162103383
And can they reach them?
>>
>>162103524
Yes, been expanding my fort quite a bit recently but now there's just stone everywhere, and over 50 dorfs are just idling
>>
>>162103631
just hide all the stone from the stocks screen and it won't bother you anymore
>>
>>162102465
Fuck, knew I forgot something!
>>
>>162103631
Are they really idling ("no job"), or are they just socializing?
How do you know they can reach the stones and the stockpiles? Did you recheck the stockpile settings? Have you assigned the wheelbarrows to the stockpiles? Are you sure the stones are not forbidden?

Isolate the problem.
>>
>>162103869
It's not so much the visuals as the fact that 50 fuckers are not doing work when there is work available.
>>162103970
They have "No Job" in the unit list.
There are good dwarves who haul stone to the stockpiles so they work.
Do they need wheelbarrows to haul stone over a certain distance? I've never bothered assigning wheelbarrows, I've just had them made and then they're picked up.

The stones are not forbidden
>>
>>162104312
Stone stockpiles automatically have 1 wheelbarrow assigned if you don't change it. Once a wheelbarrow is in a stockpile, the number of jobs that stockpile will generate is equal to the number of wheelbarrows in it. So each of your stone stockpiles probably have exactly 1 dwarf hauling stone to it.
>>
>>162104563
I see, that's it then thanks. Assigned more wheelbarrows and things started to move.

I can assign any number of wheelbarrows I want, is the maximum still 3? I'm running 0.40.24
>>
>>162100934
>If I can actually join someone instead of lead them my boner is going to explode through the roof. Let me be a minor character dammit.

Any word on whether this will actually be a thing?
>>
>>162052468
Animals and cloth
>>
>>162104821
>I'm running 0.40.24
What? Why?

The max number of wheelbarrows per stockpile has always been 3. There's a dfhack plugin that allows you to assign more.
>>
>>162105358
It's a possible interpretation of this.

>The non-player hero-type characters are moving around the map, collecting artifacts and taking them to people that request them during regular play now. They can join up in parties temporarily if there are other like-minded people in their journey's starting town. We still need to handle the details of their site infiltrations and reputations, but it's good to have artifacts moving around. I think the trickiest part will probably be getting them to handle artifacts held by people, especially moving ones (including your adventurers), and that should be coming up after I handle the new rumors and some other issues. There are lots of conversation elements to handle too. So, tons of work to do, but we're moving forward.

>>162104821
Feeder pile (3 wheelbarrows) \
Feeder pile (3 wheelbarrows)-- Main pile
Feeder pile (3 wheelbarrows) /
>>
>>162106647
Started the fort when 0.40.24 was new and it just hasn't died, I don't play too often though.

>>162106647
>>162106698
I see, I have DFhack enabled so that's why
>>
File: editing creature raws.jpg (125KB, 915x701px) Image search: [Google]
editing creature raws.jpg
125KB, 915x701px
What are your go-to init and raw edits?

I like to go into the raws and change the necessary population for gobbos to start invading down to 55 so I can have FUN and goblinite even on my toaster. One other anon mentioned making dwarves slightly larger to make foreign clothing fit properly.

I never got into a habit because there's so much to alter and versions had been coming out so rapidly in the last year. What else do you anons regularly alter in the game's vanilla settings?
>>
>>162107918
I make some creatures (like kobolds and giants) join other civs like animal people do. I also make sure to change any token that would complicate their interaction with civilised creatures.
>>
>>162107918
put a hard cap on the amount of civs non-human races can have so humans are always the most numerous. It just feels right to me. Its usually Elves, Dwarves, and Kobolds having the same cap amount, and Goblins being lower. This way, Goblins usually don't end up genociding everyone else, "exotic" races remain rare and fantastical, and humans fulfill their role as adaptable murdermonkeys that breed like rats.
>>
>>162107918
>One other anon mentioned making dwarves slightly larger to make foreign clothing fit properly.
That's not the reason, it's a workaround for the bugged 2-handed weapon check. Human clothing fitting is just a side effect.
>>
>>162108820
I see, had just skimmed through the thread.

What I would be interested in is modding animal people to default to dwarven or human-sized, with only the largest of the large animal people needing specialized armor. Elephants, sperm whale men, etc. Haven't understood how to do so with my limited knowledge of raws though, not sure if possible without editing individual animals and standardizing all their sizes too.

Is there even a single type of animal person that fits into human, dwarf, elf, or goblin armor in vanilla?
>>
>>162109863
he's lying

I do it for the clothes
>>
>>162108746
The elves always seem to be the first to go. They're immortal but just don't breed like goblins, and their wooden armor seems to make them do terribly in world gen wars most of the time.

Makes me kind of wish I had them around more often when I go for my 300-500 year vampire-infested worldgens.
>>
>>162110351
Yeah my elves usually end up a minority, but the ones who assimilate into human nations usually do pretty well.
>>
>>162102465
shhhh
>>
>>162100934
When this happens i'll stop making demigods.
>>
Finished more tests

Out of 100 rounds the human won 50 times and the human100end 50. In the second set the human won 50 times and the human100end 50.

Out of 100 rounds the human won 62 times and the human100foc 38. In the second set the human won 57 times and the human100foc 43.

Out of 100 round the human won 39 times and the human100wil won 61. In the second set the human won 49 times and the human100wil won 49.

Seems that having 100 points more of endurance isn't a big advantage.

I think the reason why the human100foc lost more times is because of RNG, same with why the human100wil won more times.

These are all the tests I did today, I also updated the pastebin with the results.
>>
>>162112107
Well those are some interesting results. The focus tests in particular. Seems an unlikely spread to be just attributable to rng. I look forward to seeing the results of further tests. Thanks for the work you're doing.
>>
>>162110320
they're both lying

i fo it for the pussy

elf bitches love a big burly dwarf, i learned that from the totally-canon-now hobbit movies
>>
>>162113201
I just can't find any other reasons, all the other attributes are the same except focus.

After finishing that test I thought that maybe I fucked up something in the attributes, but I checked with the gm-editor and everything seems to be fine, all the attributes are at 1000 except for focus which is at 1100.
>>
>>162113612
Maybe focus has a negative impact? Like dwarven autism or something. I guess it would have to be extremely negative for such a small difference to account for those results. It seems pretty unlikely. I suppose when focus comes back up in the rotation it will be telling.
>>
>>162113471
Jesus please end my life.

I wanted a Silmarillion/Unfinished Tales miniseries a la Pillars of the Earth until I watched those. I don't trust anyone with anything anymore.
>>
>>162114638
>tfw chris tolkien and his sister are both 90 already

Silmarillion 6 part movie starting before 2020
>>
Anons have you heard about the upcoming movie called dwarves of demrel?
It looks like a nice fantasy movie about some common dwaren miners.
It has some horror vibes in it though.
Its supposedly about a group of dwarves in the mines who get stalked by some creature.
>>
>>162117593
Looks like a cool concept but it looks like its going to be film student quality
>>
File: raidersofthelosturist.jpg (107KB, 357x502px) Image search: [Google]
raidersofthelosturist.jpg
107KB, 357x502px
>>162089689
>>162089762
>>
>>162117593
horror movie about keas when?

>7 dwarves move to create a new home in the mountains
>they're assaulted by a swarm of mutant keas
>dwarves are harmed and robbed
>keas steal their food, weapons and anvils
>dwarves make wooden weapons to fight back
>they managed to defend against the keas
>1 week forward
>dwarves are managing it fine
>the keas come back, now with reinforcements
>a full sized siege of kea men riding giant keas
>they defeat the dwarves, take all of their stuff and lock them up in their mines
>today you can still hear their ghosts hunting for rats
>some say you can even hear about how a boat would help with the vermin
>>
When DF exe crashes after consistently getting 18 FPS for a season, is that a sign that I've reached FPS death?
>>
>>162121569
f
>>
File: drifters ep 6.jpg (125KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
drifters ep 6.jpg
125KB, 1920x1080px
>>162117593
if you're interested in portrayal of dwarves, there is an anime airing this season that has dwarves in it. "drifters", though, you may be a bit triggered as to how the dwarves are introduced to the series and some of the surrounding circumstances. also literally hitler.
>>
>>162122050
Drifters also has like 100% NIPPON STRONK in it so if that turns you off then yeah.
>>
What do you think kobold sites will look like?
>>
File: df 1.png (13KB, 1617x111px) Image search: [Google]
df 1.png
13KB, 1617x111px
I made an adventurer in order to finally see if I could progress a world out of the Age of Myth by killing as many megabeasts as possible.

This game is rly fucking dumb when it comes to ages and history. For me, no matter how long I gen and even how long I play on whatever settings, I will always be on the age of myth for eternity because no one can kill megabeasts, Especially those titans that throw fire or whatever always survive worldgen and are rarely ever killed.

Already killed a titan and a dragon so looking forward to finally getting an age of legend or somth.
>>
>>162122050
Every time someone says dorifuta this plays in my head

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dv13gl0a-FA
>>
why this game don't have a specific tile for EVERY FUCKING MOTHERFUCKER object?
>>
>>162123978
yeah you can do that if you want. not necessary. content > appearance.
>>
>>162123661
you can set world gen parameters in all kinds of ways to change the outcome of megabeasts and such. you can even spawn just one or none if you like.
>>
File: pooranon.jpg (37KB, 600x346px) Image search: [Google]
pooranon.jpg
37KB, 600x346px
>>162123978
>>
File: matrix.gif (168KB, 1280x1024px) Image search: [Google]
matrix.gif
168KB, 1280x1024px
>>162123978
>>
>>162124209
I have set it lower, and it either ends of as "The Age of [creature]" or "The Age of [creature] and [Titan]".

Beasts are so fucking unkillable during worldgen like fuck.
>>
>>162124280
This is why Rimworld is far better KEK .
>>
File: F1uTubC.png (184KB, 660x1010px) Image search: [Google]
F1uTubC.png
184KB, 660x1010px
How many stone stockpiles should I have? Should I really be attempting to store all the stone I have or should I just dump most of it?
>>
>>162124843
>dump stone
wtffff use it you're dwarves!!

personally I keep my stone stockpiles separated by type of stone but that's just my autism.
>>
>>162124843
>Should I really be attempting to store all the stone I have or should I just dump most of it?
Neither. Make small stone stockpiles linked to workshops when you need specific stones for specific tasks. The rest just leave in place and d b h if seeing it bothers you.
>>
File: TheGoldenAge.png (73KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
TheGoldenAge.png
73KB, 1920x1080px
>>162123661
It can take a while.
>>
>think "damn my dwarves are really moving fast tonight"
>FPS: 17(10)

Fucking hell Toodly, what have you done to me?
>>
File: floating wood.png (80KB, 1915x1044px) Image search: [Google]
floating wood.png
80KB, 1915x1044px
This is almost as strange as the floating gore soup at the top of the cliff.
>>
Does anyone else have a weird obsession with making more toy item types for the kids to play with? Ever since the update that let them grab toys and play pretend I keep writing new toys in almost every time I gen a world.
>>
>>162130720
I never did until I read your comment, but now I want my kids to have action figures and puzzle cubes.
>>
>>162130529
Antigravity wood huh... minecart air force go!

>>162130720
Well now I do.
>>
>>162130720
Well fuck I never thought about it like that
Time to make some candy toys for the little fucks to play with
>>
>>162131040
I've got every civ race, dragons, rocs, hyrdas, a generic "titan", and a generic "animal" as figurines, added sets of blocks, balls, the "cup and ball" game, several kinds of toy instrument, and every "natural" dwarf weapon as toys.
I'd like to add in "plush" style stuffed animal toys, but cant figure out how to make it use cloth/leather. Adding toys is about as much as I can mod things so far.
>>
File: fox_zimmerman_laughs_130703c1.gif (2MB, 389x279px) Image search: [Google]
fox_zimmerman_laughs_130703c1.gif
2MB, 389x279px
>A well made of solid gold
I shouldn't be allowed to do this
>>
File: foods.jpg (50KB, 327x685px) Image search: [Google]
foods.jpg
50KB, 327x685px
>>162130720
>>162131870
I've got the same problem you do, only for me it's meals.
>>
File: housinglvl2.jpg (96KB, 1076x733px) Image search: [Google]
housinglvl2.jpg
96KB, 1076x733px
What does /dsg/ think of my housing layout?

I got bored with the commieblock rectangles and decided to do something a little less efficient.
>>
File: gyrmygyrmygyrm.jpg (222KB, 1280x1216px) Image search: [Google]
gyrmygyrmygyrm.jpg
222KB, 1280x1216px
>>162134567
>/dsg/
dammit, i mean /dfg/. Sorry. my fingers just automatically went to s.
>>
>>162134567
Really nice design, anon
How many dwarves will that hold?
>>
>>162134567
git out af ere ya mick
>>
>>162134567
Looks nice, but is that in soil? I can't tell if those stairs are microcline or they have fungus growing on them. If it's soil you should redesignate that elsewhere before you start, because it will look like shit no matter how intricate you dig.
I would recommend widening the outer rings of hallways as well; all those 1 tile wide halls with diagonal corners are going to choke you to death.
>>
>>162133910
but you literally could irl if you had access to the resources.

I've made mine out of pure silver for as long as I can remember. there's something that just feels clean about it, idk.
>>
>>162135890
A solid gold chain wouldn't have the strength to lift a solid gold bucket, let alone one filled with water
>>
Bay12: New covers for agents, with their real counterparts: prophets, pilgrims, peddlers, pious monks and petty criminals.

@Falc: ahh! Will peddlers actually peddle? Any chance of muggings in taverns? I'm so excitedddd!

Bay12: Yeah, peddlers will peddle, though perhaps out of one of those giant backpacks instead of with items spread out on the ground.
@Falc: Oh man,that's great. So then agents will be peddling as well for disguise? Offering pyrite +sundials+ perhaps?

Bay12: Ha ha, if I remember, sundials are part of the scholars' knowledge, so won't be in-game items for like 1000 years.

Bay12: No metaphysical events yet, so even the real prophets are false, but the agents are false false prophets, with wrong made-up prophecies.
>>
>>162136010
maybe a defective solid gold chain made by lousy humans couldn't lift filled buckets.
>>
File: 1474914539478.jpg (46KB, 550x538px) Image search: [Google]
1474914539478.jpg
46KB, 550x538px
>Elf caravan comes after 2 years
>Accidentally try to sell them charcoal
>They get offended and leave
>They still haven't come back

What happened to them? The only reason I liked the Elf caravans is because I like to collect animals and they had the most exotic.
Is this a glitch or do the Elves just hate me?
>>
>>162136715
tsk tsk, were you trading away bins of unprocessed bars?
>>
>>162135380
houses 56 dwarves. thinking about adding another 4 pods on the diagonals, which will give me 72.

>>162135535
yeah, the center and eastern parts are in soil. Spent too long designing it to move it down now though. And you're right, the outer hallway needs some widening, and also the cross paths in the pods should open out to the outer hallway as well. Not sure why I made them dead end like that.

>>162136715
they might have been consumed by the disappearing caravan glitch?
>>
I don't get why people dislike elven merchants of all things. They can bring wood. You can burn wood to make charcoal and ashes. Charcoal and ashes have plenty of nice, dwarfy uses like smelting/forging metals, firing clay, making soap, and making glass, especially clear glass, which requires pearlash even if you have magma. And I can hardly imagine ever having too much clear glass, but I can easily imagine not having enough pearlash.

You can't build a proper skyscraper without proper windows covering it, and really, what better way to show the elves how much appreciation you have for nature than by building nice, shiny skyscrapers all over the surface?
>>
>>162134990
Wheel and deal?
>>
>>162139140
gem windows are so much cooler though.
>>
File: 25234.png (12KB, 1114x143px) Image search: [Google]
25234.png
12KB, 1114x143px
dwarves are such shit at cutting down trees
>>
>>162140979
Why did you think they dislike nature so much?
>>
File: your reward as i promised.jpg (103KB, 1078x681px) Image search: [Google]
your reward as i promised.jpg
103KB, 1078x681px
modified the design a bit

Better outerhallway that actually link into the pods, and more pods added. Only 2 units in the new ones though.
>>
File: the dig as i promised.jpg (120KB, 1077x729px) Image search: [Google]
the dig as i promised.jpg
120KB, 1077x729px
Struck the earth! Man this thing looks odd while partially excavated. Like a big weird pizza with a melted cheese flow going down the side
>>
File: GAqUOAj.jpg (39KB, 639x960px) Image search: [Google]
GAqUOAj.jpg
39KB, 639x960px
>>162144206
>Half stone and half dirt
>>
File: life in my sandy home.png (7KB, 362x304px) Image search: [Google]
life in my sandy home.png
7KB, 362x304px
>>162144206
>>
File: anakin.jpg (109KB, 412x408px) Image search: [Google]
anakin.jpg
109KB, 412x408px
>>162144206
>>162144298
>>162145871
>>
File: rip militia captain.png (102KB, 882x357px) Image search: [Google]
rip militia captain.png
102KB, 882x357px
goodnight /dfg/
>>
Should I change [PRIORITY:NORMAL] to REALTIME or HIGH if I'm playing on a toaster? Any essential d_init changes to maximize performance?
>>
>>162148395
all high will do is allocate more of your toaster's resources to use for dorf if you have other programs running simultaneously. ideally you shouldn't be running anything else if your computer isn't the greatest.

CPU and memory upgrades are more than enough to make dorf run better, and depending on what you've got going upgrading might be as simple as opening up tossed/thrift store towers and swapping stuff out.
>>
>>162148534
Okay. I just want Youtube to run alongside DF. PRINT_MODE seems useful but might be better if you have a graphics card.
>>
File: helm plump man.jpg (34KB, 263x343px) Image search: [Google]
helm plump man.jpg
34KB, 263x343px
>>162136280
muh dick
>>
File: disgusted midget.png (23KB, 839x631px) Image search: [Google]
disgusted midget.png
23KB, 839x631px
>>162145871
>>
>>162136280
>1000 years
>>
>>162136280
So we will get sundials before we get the next update?
>>
Which medical skills increase "quality" or success rate with levels?
>>
File: timbuk1980bar.jpg (2MB, 3223x2033px) Image search: [Google]
timbuk1980bar.jpg
2MB, 3223x2033px
>>162136280
>Muggers in taverns
Yeahhh
>>
>>162122050
What do dwarves have to do with hitler ?
Or is it about nazi occultism or something?
>>
>>162151070
In the show, Hitler was transported to a fantasy world after his death and formed a fascist regime that enslaved dwarves and elves.
>>
File: timbuk modern.jpg (2MB, 3551x2215px) Image search: [Google]
timbuk modern.jpg
2MB, 3551x2215px
>>162150973
>>
>>162151201
>tfw no CUTE punk!
I wonder why he does not draw girls more often.
>>
File: timbuk angels.jpg (2MB, 3086x3972px) Image search: [Google]
timbuk angels.jpg
2MB, 3086x3972px
>>162152508
I prefer his human girls desu.
>>
File: MightAlsoBeAFetish.jpg (55KB, 620x413px) Image search: [Google]
MightAlsoBeAFetish.jpg
55KB, 620x413px
>>162152668
Big noses are indeed best.
>>
File: mossad.png (1001KB, 797x594px) Image search: [Google]
mossad.png
1001KB, 797x594px
>>162152902
Gee, I wonder who could be behind this post.
>>
>>162152508
>I wonder why he does not draw girls more often.
THIS

TIMBUKDREW: Make a pic with all-girl gangs of each civilised race!
>>
File: VectorCurses+1.png (43KB, 384x576px) Image search: [Google]
VectorCurses+1.png
43KB, 384x576px
>>162152992
>You thought it was Max, but really it was me, Dio!
>>
>>162151201
How do I geld dwarves? Or can I craft like chastity belts.
>>
>>162154198
Well there it is, now we're all wondering about it, are you proud of yourself?
>>
>>162150973
Is the guy with the celtic cross a night troll or something?
>>
>>162154198
You could armour them in everything other than lower body gear and throw them into a danger room.
Sadly I don't see any armour tokens which would help.
If you want to be really barbaric you could create a custom reaction, maybe involving a traction bench in a hospital? That would be fun...
>>
Does anyone want to give me tips for maximizing production of plump helmet spawn? I embarked with 45 spawn and two farmers with Grower at 5. They're working 20 tiles without fertilizer and the seed stockpile is 7 tiles farther from the kitchen than the raw foods stockpile, so they shouldn't be taking the seeds for cooking. I'm going to start fertilizing soon, but I always gradually lose spawn and I don't understand why.
>>
>>162156091
Why does cooking destroy the seeds anyway? Shouldn't removing the seeds be part of the cooking process, like with brewing?
>>
File: Carp_escape-590x306.jpg (59KB, 590x306px) Image search: [Google]
Carp_escape-590x306.jpg
59KB, 590x306px
>>162156179
Why were carp the most feared creature in the game for a long time? Toady.
>>
>>162156550
Swimming gave stat gains, stats had no cap, carp swam all the time, turned into supergodfish, above a certain point--attribute wise--most other creatures become really delicate.
>>
>>162156179
Toady is lazy and stupid. He rather take years to patch simple things just to add to his mistery persona of 2deep5u game dev instead of being productive.
>>
File: 1467809762540.jpg (44KB, 746x960px) Image search: [Google]
1467809762540.jpg
44KB, 746x960px
>>162157091
wew lad

I'm really happy when intelligent people like you don't have a job and have the time voice their disgusting, ignorant pleb opinions.

Godspeed to you, shitposter, who would probably make a game 1000 times better than Toady did, just chooses not to.
>>
>>162157290
t. putnam
>>
File: green tree frog man.png (341KB, 1000x1500px) Image search: [Google]
green tree frog man.png
341KB, 1000x1500px
>>162157091
>his mistery persona of 2deep5u game dev
t. guy who doesn't read the dev log, the twitter or the FotF threads

He obviously doesn't have any pretentions about being "mysterious". If he did, he wouldn't write so exhaustively about the planned features.

And admit it: you'd rather have deities who interact with the world, travels to other planes of reality and ruined mythical cities built by ancient races, than have seeds returned when cooking.
I'm not saying that's a valid excuse not to have the latter, I'm just saying that it's understandable that he doesn't prioritise it.

Also, pls refrain from trying to stir up shit on one of the comfiest places on 4chan. If you're mad at Toady, tell him, not us.
>>
>>162157290
Your husbando's beard is ugly.
>>
How do I get my fucking peons to gather -exactly- as much sand as my perfect honoured glassmakers need? I either get "no sand-bearing item" spam or "no bags left, too much sand" spam.
>>
File: elusive roach.webm (2MB, 640x360px) Image search: [Google]
elusive roach.webm
2MB, 640x360px
>>162157682
Dem conditions man, dem fukken conditions.
>>
Novice drawfag who did the tourney scribbles. Taking requests for draws which may or may not be completed tonight.
>>
>>162089689
Where can I see info about the new update?
>>
>>162157756
Right, so is it just "sand-bearing..." what? Is "yellow sand bag" a... yellow bag with sand in it or a bag with yellow sand in it? I'd appreciate it a lot if you told me what conditions I need
>>
Reiterating my request for maximizing production of plump helmet spawn. I looked at the stockpile, BTW, it isn't that thing where the dwarf picks up the barrel and it cancels the job.
>>
>>162157994
I haven't really used them for the conditions for the glass industry, but yeah "yellow sand bag" means that the sand is yellow.

Pick a colour depending on which colour the sand on your embark is.

I guess you'll want something like a "if yellow sand bag is less than x"+"if empty bag is more than y"="gather sand z times".
>>
>>162157767
How much detail/complexity are you willing to take on?

>>162158121
Uh, either brew plump helmets into wine and/or wait for the dwarves to eat raw plump helmets. That's pretty much it. You're not cooking the spawn are you? Also, planting them does use them up; they're essentially seeds. This should all be fairly obvious, but it's such a strange thing to ask for help with that I'm not sure what your problem is.
>>
File: STENvsTJD.jpg (612KB, 2183x1555px) Image search: [Google]
STENvsTJD.jpg
612KB, 2183x1555px
>>162158675
If your suggestion is cool, and I accept it, it'll get done eventually. If you specifically ask me to go into detail i'll give it my best shot, but you might be disappointed hehe. Also, might not finish tonight.
>>
>>162158824
Do you have a nickname or is it just "Novice drawfag who did the tourney scribbles"? Really liked your tourney drawings and I need to name your folder on my PC.
>>
>>162158824
Do some of the battles that were not drawn. Entrails vs TJD would be one interesting,
>>
>>162158824
ROASTED
>>
>>162159114
I don't know, I never gave myself a nickname based on my drawings. You guys can name me if you want, I haven't got any ideas.

>>162159372
Will do, my dude.
>>
How do I hide all of the stone from stocks?
>>
>>162158824
Can you do the second TPM fight where he kicked kobold to death after losing his arms?
>>
>>162159770
>>162159372
You know what, I forget to save all the combat logs. Post em if you have them, and I'll do the draw.
>>
File: sank like a sten.png (137KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
sank like a sten.png
137KB, 1024x768px
>stenfags
>>
File: 1479439674849.png (566KB, 1362x1922px) Image search: [Google]
1479439674849.png
566KB, 1362x1922px
>>162159865
Here's the TPM one.
>>
>>162160016
Lost one arm, chipped the other.
Well played TPM ;_;7
>>
File: EntrailsBRCombatLog.png (574KB, 694x3622px) Image search: [Google]
EntrailsBRCombatLog.png
574KB, 694x3622px
>>162159865
Which ones do you not have? I have them all still saved but, Imgur is being a bitch and I don't know where to put them. I also have individual combatant slices of the BR combat log, this is Entrails'.
>>
File: ◊◊˝˝◊◊˝˝◊◊.png (465KB, 1333x666px) Image search: [Google]
◊◊˝˝◊◊˝˝◊◊.png
465KB, 1333x666px
>>
>>162159948
Please stop posting that, my feelings are getting hurt x'(
>>
File: neat.png (282KB, 479x401px) Image search: [Google]
neat.png
282KB, 479x401px
>>162161470
Nice.

Love your landscapes.
>>
File: oh, yeah.jpg (21KB, 851x315px) Image search: [Google]
oh, yeah.jpg
21KB, 851x315px
>We will have peddlers selling stuff around the world in the next update
>You will be able to stick up with monks to travel through the world while he teaches you the beauties of life
>All to end up in an alley and be stabbed in the balls by that poor crazy prophet that got along with you, because he was an agnet of the goblins

This is going too fast anons, Toady is adding just too much at once, Its crazy
>>
>>162159513
Please, acept the term ''Tournyer''
I need some order on my folders
>>
>>162162784
He also confirmed that all of those roles (except the peddlers) were just covers for going around the world stealing shit.

I wonder if disguises make it this time.
>>
File: dragondoren.png (68KB, 1600x860px) Image search: [Google]
dragondoren.png
68KB, 1600x860px
This is my first time ever seeing a dragon in fortress mode. How boned are my dwarves?
>>
>>162162938
no man, he said there can be real and false monks, peddlers, etc.
You will be able to find monks and take them with you to find a rare codex to be retrieved and he may or may not try to kill you for it later
And same for all the new roles, they can be true or false
Its refreshing to be able to find someone non-hostile and useful outside the cities roaming in the world
>mfw I will be able to mod errant drug dealers, or ''wise hermits'' before the year ends
Feels good
>>
>>162163116
>Its refreshing to be able to find someone non-hostile and useful outside the cities roaming in the world
You can already do that desu.

Those mercs and bards hanging out in the taverns? They actually travel between different cities, and you can run into them when travelling. Sadly, they don't follow the roads yet.
>>
>>162163390
Come on man, you know what I mean. Those roles are not very interesting at the moment
>Oh shit, a human. You cool dawg?
>MY NAME IS ZIKOT DAGGERFRIED, IM A BARD
>oh...das cool mane, so what do you do?
>I SING AT TOWNS AND SOMETIMES CARRY BOOKS
>...
>*Uninteligent AI stare*
>Please go
But finding people in the wild that can carry stuff and properly buy or sell it? That's awesome
I can already see them becoming relevant figures in fort mode too, bringing items of different rarity or quality (prob. depending in the overall ability of the guy as a seller/negotiatior), snd bringing news about the world at non-fixed dates, unlike caravans
>Gettem Monys, the master trader, abandons the guild in the city to trade some exquisite and unique trinkets to the fortress
>This is a seller of the highest consideration! You have a long-lasting relationship with this seller
>How do you receive him?

>Allow entrance unconditionally?
>Allow entrance with requisites(acompanied by guards, etc.)
>Denegate entrance
>>
>>162150536
Bone doctor and surgeon are the only 2 medical skills that affect outcome. the rest just affect the speed of the procure and diagnosis.
>>
File: Capture.jpg (21KB, 531x114px) Image search: [Google]
Capture.jpg
21KB, 531x114px
woop

never got this far with a fort before, what do I do now?
>>
>>162168660
Start by praising the miners.
Later, you lose. The in-between, you'll figure it out.
>>
Is building a surface fort influences fps a lot? I barely got walls and couple of 3 storey buildings and perfomance tanks like I have a full-fledged fortress with 100+ dwarfs.
>>
>>162168962
"one" is hardly a reasonable sample size.
Identify other potential bottlenecks.
My guess is some guy is stuck in a tree causing pathfinding to go mad.
>>
>>162168660
You gotta harvest all of it. Outfit your whole military in Adamantine gear.
>>
>>162168660
Strike the earth my dude.
So whats the best method for not opening a hole to hell? the ring of adamantium around the hollow part is 4x4, so should I just find the 4x4 section by digging around the whole vein and determine the center or does the hollow section change between z-levels?
>>
File: microexpressions_contempt.png (91KB, 497x307px) Image search: [Google]
microexpressions_contempt.png
91KB, 497x307px
>>162170608
Dig down one level at a time, using sets of one downward stair+one upward stair. Before digging another level, always place a hatch cover on the last downward stair you dug.

This way, you can immediately lock the hatch cover if you breach hell. Since the initial demon wave takes a few moments to reach the shaft, you should usually be able to get your miner into safety first.

Due to a bug, demons literally can't destroy a locked hatch cover from below, meaning that this setup makes you 100% demon-safe..
>>
>>162150536
>>162168159
I've always thought that was stupid, in many levels actually
Im a noob when it comes to medicine, and I know I can't properly determine anything slightly far away from bruises, because I dunno how to
I dont think your regular drunk maniac sociopath can/wants to either
Not only for realism, but for adding value and FUN to medical activities, having low skill on diagnoser should mean horrible fates for your dwarves, like having wrong organs taken away, or doctors insisting on your favourite dancer to have both legs plastered because of a slap a maiden gave to him in the cheek, those kind of things
>>
>>162174112
>doctors insisting on your favourite dancer to have both legs plastered because of a slap a maiden gave to him in the cheek
Okay, yeah, that's funny, I would like to see stuff like that in the game

Actually, that kind of medical ignorance can be expanded, it could actually play in your favor sometimes
for example, Doctors are able to give herbs and 'medication' to dwarves to treat their dolences
Now imagine you have a dabbling diagnoser asigned to a patient with little itching to the eyes, and he diagnoses it as glaucoma, and orders the dwarf to consume as much weed as possible, that would be fun
>>
>>162161470
How do you make this stuff, 9?
>>
>>162163089
Well, so far I lost a master mason who decided to go try boxing with the dragon while the drawbridge was closing and there's a minor fire inside the main walls which is quickly getting out of hand. The dragon is chasing stray animals around and a large amount of the landscape is on fire. I need some sleep for now. I'll find out just how bad this fire is when I come back. Sorry I forgot to take a screenshot. I need sleep.
>>
Right now I'm playing DF with PyLNP on Linux, so I'm probably outdated... It's version 43.03.

If I use DFHack's mouse functionality, autolabor, a bunch of others... and Phoebus' graphic pack... Can I safely update and play with just DFHack and ditch PyLNP altogether?
>>
>>162175854
photoshop -- mixer brush, pencil brush, warp transform, select color range + fills.
>>
>>162177102
Oh, so it's just his(your?) particular style.. I thought it has some glitch-art component to it. I love it! I mean, it -does- have some kind of glitch vibe in the best way
>>
File: tmp_19337-cowardlyLion1281635650.jpg (176KB, 1600x1201px) Image search: [Google]
tmp_19337-cowardlyLion1281635650.jpg
176KB, 1600x1201px
>>162176742
>autolabor
>>
>>162176742>
>Phoebus
>Cheating
Disgusted.png
Also make your own LNP, Linux-way and shit.
>>
>>162176175
Most dragons are small as shit because thanks to toady useless coding skills it's very dificult to make a old world.
>>
>>161992841
nigga, why are you even in DF general if you hate the game so much. Just stick to playing it.
>>
>>162178472
>>162179063
You guys are very helpful, thank you.
>this kind of elitist shitposting is exactly what's wrong with DF's community
>>
File: 10.jpg (25KB, 910x480px) Image search: [Google]
10.jpg
25KB, 910x480px
>>162183635
Isn't autolabor the thing that literally makes the computer automatically choose which dorfs get which labour? Which means that it ultimately takes responsibility away from the player?

There's nothing "elitist" about disliking an utility that removes playability from the game.

Also, I'm not them, but those posts seem like friendly banter ore than anything else. Learn to handle it.
>>
>>162159948
I'm new to this general. Who is Sten?
>>
>>162187109
The one tŕue king of the ring.
>>
>>162184168
>mining some banter ore with ninedots in the thread
Hell yeah.
>>
>>162050579
Toady's latest updates like taverns, books, religions. They all do nothing to add to fortress life and there isn't much fun stuff to mess around with except maybe using the tavern as an easy crossbow training room.
>>
File: ßßßstenburgerßßß.gif (4KB, 333x333px) Image search: [Google]
ßßßstenburgerßßß.gif
4KB, 333x333px
>>162187109
minotaur winner of the /dfg gladiatorial singles bracket that fell into magma facing off against the winner of the FFA round.
>>
File: 1470376239266.jpg (48KB, 500x454px) Image search: [Google]
1470376239266.jpg
48KB, 500x454px
TOURNEYANON WHEN ARE WE GETTING ANOTHER TOURNEY GOING
I THIRST FOR BLOOD DAMMIT
>>
>>162188308
Wait, is... is that ninedots shit talking?

You are the best.
>>
File: 36478548.jpg (32KB, 525x300px) Image search: [Google]
36478548.jpg
32KB, 525x300px
>>162188608
Can't say
>>
>>162189101
don't get your hopes up, I suspect it's a clever fake.

the burger doesn't look quite right. unusual colour palette and brush sizes for ninedots and all that.
>>
>>162189338
(three weird symbols)middlebit(three weird symbols).gif (4 KB, 333x333) strong points towards ninedots, same as CameCaseFileNames.png point to me.

Also John Glenn just died.
>>
File: mining banter ore.png (24KB, 487x505px) Image search: [Google]
mining banter ore.png
24KB, 487x505px
>>162184168
>>162188196
>banter ore
Is this the birth of an epic new meme?
>>
>>162188256
>They all do nothing to add to fortress life and there isn't much fun stuff to mess around with
Except visitors? A use for books (giving the potential for a necromancer fort)?
>>
File: 1479840974007.jpg (83KB, 600x600px) Image search: [Google]
1479840974007.jpg
83KB, 600x600px
>>162188256
Fuck off.

The fact that dwarves actually have free time and private lives of their own now has made the game feel much more alive.

Instead of having mindless worker ants who occationally turn "No job", you can now follow your dwarves through their private lives as they finish up their tasks, only to hit the pub or pray to their deities, or maybe visit the library and read some interesting book. They all feel more like actual people now.

Of course, to a minmaxing autist who only value raw productivity, this must all feel pretty pointless. But to an ordinary flesh and bones human, who enjoys seeing their dwarves act like actual people, the last updates has done tons to improve the gaming experience.
>>
>>162190203
>be dwarf
>mining that sweet sweet adamantine
>breach the wall, immediately expect the worst
>instead of horrifying screams I hear "more like fagamantine amirite!?"

Fucking banter ore.
>>
>>162189807
The three symbols are easy to imitate, same with the resolution and file extension.
>>
>>162192817
>trying to find a way around this fucking aquifer
>see a sweet looking vein of ore
>sink pick into it
>"I WANT IT TO BE NINEDOTS SHITTALKING DAMN YOU!"

Goddamn load of banter ore.
>>
So now I'm pumping out adamantine armor and weapons for my troops.

I have 4 squads with a total of 30 soldiers, do I have to equip them all individually or can I do it squad wise?
>>
>>162195705
http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2014:Squad#Equipping_Soldiers
>>
I've done more tests

Out of 100 rounds the human won 51 times and the human100int 49. In the second set the human won 66 times and the human100int 34.

Out of 100 rounds the human won 47 times and the human100kin 53. In the second set the human won 52 times and the human100kin 48.

Out of 100 rounds the human won 54 times and the human100spa won 46. In the second set the human won 50 times and the human100spa 50.

Nothing exceptional aside from the second set of the test with the human100int, but again, I think that's just RNG.

Well, these are all the tests I did today, now I'll make some other human variants with higher attributes for the next tests, I've also updated the pastebin with the results.
>>
>>162199524
You're doing Armok's work.
>>
What do I do with alltheae migrants?
I keep building more houses for them but they keep coming I already have 160 dwarves in my fort.
>>
File: 1474292376486.jpg (380KB, 747x850px) Image search: [Google]
1474292376486.jpg
380KB, 747x850px
>forgotten beast appears in the deepest caves
>A Three Eyed Frog

dug too deep and now he's awake
>>
>>162202187
Set them to work
>>
File: 1480866446283.jpg (26KB, 411x412px) Image search: [Google]
1480866446283.jpg
26KB, 411x412px
>>162157091
>add to his mistery persona of 2deep5u game dev
>Makes a point to accept pretty much any interview offer, even if it's from less-known websites
>mystery persona
>>
>>162202534
Isn't there a way to set a population cap I think that should be a setting in the game somewhere.
A fort of around 100 dwarves would have been ideal.
>>
>>162202960
You can with LNP
>>
>>162203019
What's LNP ?
>>
>>162203251
LazyNoobPack
>>
>>162203298
Ah ok thanks I'll check it out.
>>
>>162202960
data/init/d_init.txt
[POPULATION_CAP:100]
[STRICT_POPULATION_CAP:100]
>>
>>162106698
>(including your adventurers)
idk, doesn't sound like they will take the lead

the whole passive movement thing would open up a whole can of problems,
so I doubt he'll add it now with all the artifacts movement and rumor spreading
>>
>>162202960
>>162203019
DF folder/data/init/d_init

open in a text editor

aside from the tpp bundle, LNP is just a graphical interface for editing the init files. it's not updated to the latest version so it's not really worth using.
>>
What do you guys think Kobold sites will look like?
>>
>>162207175
piles of stolen shit in crevices in caves
>>
>>162207175
it doesn't matter how they'll look like because you can't just visit them
I really hope they'll do something about their beak-dog infestation problem soon
>>
>>162204407
I meant the "joining up in parties with like-minded people" thing, and I recall someone asking if that meant we might be able to tag along with an existing group, but his answer said he would naturally desire that but wasn't sure if it was going to work right just yet.
>>
>>162189115
GODDAMNIT TOURNEYANON WHY CAN'T YOU JUST STEP UP AND ORGANISE IT OR WE WILL HAVE TO GO THROUGH THE EFFORT OF BULLYING SOMEONE ELSE TO DO IT

It's cool yo. A christmas one would be pretty good though, and you did good before.
>>
File: ritestuf.jpg (56KB, 400x600px) Image search: [Google]
ritestuf.jpg
56KB, 400x600px
>>162189807
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!
>>
File: 1479037153527.jpg (828KB, 927x1718px) Image search: [Google]
1479037153527.jpg
828KB, 927x1718px
>>162212359
Well the problem is I have came to no good solution with revising the rules. If anyone wants to take a crack at it be my guest. I will organize and run whatever somebody comes up with. Here is the pasta version of the old rules made by a helpful anon last tourney.
>>
>>162214493
I would like to recommend we wait for testanon to finish (or get tired of) his attribute comparison tests. The point of the tests is to establish a dataset for figuring out reasonable point->attribute ratios for the next tourney.
>>
File: LegendsSpeakOfAnAncientVault.png (12KB, 1440x555px) Image search: [Google]
LegendsSpeakOfAnAncientVault.png
12KB, 1440x555px
Crazy shit from someone on bay12 for starting an adventurer.
>>
>>162217052
He started like that?! Holy shit, what happened next?
>>
File: TPMvsRichie.jpg (103KB, 615x914px) Image search: [Google]
TPMvsRichie.jpg
103KB, 615x914px
>>162159770
>>162160016
>>162160673
>>
>>162217474
you are too good
<3
>>
File: StenvsTheJumpingDude3ACombatLog.png (329KB, 1356x778px) Image search: [Google]
StenvsTheJumpingDude3ACombatLog.png
329KB, 1356x778px
>>162217474
You're pretty good. Seeing the Sten vs TJD fight would be nice, it really showcases Sten's brutality, the other being his fight with Basket, which is a fighter that doesn't get much spotlight because she died in the first rounds but, she was one of the only combatants that actually harmed Sten, the other being TJD.
>>
>>161968284
I want to play this game but im afraid the graphics barrier is a bit too much for me, what graphical interface mods do you people use?
>>
>>162217280
No clue man.
>>
File: Imagination.gif (2MB, 498x306px) Image search: [Google]
Imagination.gif
2MB, 498x306px
>>162221128
>>
>>162221754
I see, gonna try playing this while tripping on shrooms, that seems like a wonderfull idea!
>>
>>162214493
So are the rules/set up going to be similar to the previous tournament? Just wondering because I was messing around with a troll build using the old rules and it sorta sucked.
>>
>>162221128
Obsidian is always best
>>
>>162221128
curses_square_16x16.png
>>
>>162221128
I unplug my monitor and play by intuition alone. Destiny guides my fingers.
>>
File: ColdsteelvsMandingo1FFight.gif (118KB, 294x233px) Image search: [Google]
ColdsteelvsMandingo1FFight.gif
118KB, 294x233px
>>162221871
See
>>162188608
>>162189115

As far as running the tournament it will be more or less the same. I can't say the same for the rules.
>>
File: _.png (540KB, 611x625px) Image search: [Google]
_.png
540KB, 611x625px
>>
File: 1478703739604.jpg (102KB, 258x245px) Image search: [Google]
1478703739604.jpg
102KB, 258x245px
>>162224454
>>
>>162224454
Could you explain the context of this picture?
>>
>>162225551
>kid goes crazy and starts flinging knives around at school
>cop comes and just shoots him
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=msi4Rs8w1V8&app=desktop
>>
>>162225732
American_education.webm
>>
>>162225732
"Kids suck."
-the goonies 1985
>>
>>162225732

>cop comes and just shoots him
>''Just shoot him''

As far as I know in any civilized place in the world waving a weapon around is a huge invitation to get your shit wrecked, also you don't understand how quickly a guy with a knife can charge cops when under adrenaline and it doesn't take much than a single stab to get life threatening injuries, so instead of taking useless risks to accomodate some anti-gun dipshits who never had real physical confrontation in their entire life they just shoot the little cunt and call it a day.

>inb4 just shoot them in the leg

Legs shot tend to be far more damageable and dangerous than bodyshot on average, due to the arteries going into the both of them, so if one of those get hit chance are you'll/they'll die of blood loss before the wambulance even comes.
>>
>>162229953
>Legs shot tend to be far more damageable and dangerous than bodyshot on average, due to the arteries going into the both of them, so if one of those get hit chance are you'll/they'll die of blood loss before the wambulance even comes.
Provided it goes unbandaged. Bodyshots do have more risk of permanent debilitation.
>>
File: technological victory.gif (2MB, 360x246px) Image search: [Google]
technological victory.gif
2MB, 360x246px
>>162224454
>>162225732
>>
File: Hmmm.jpg (72KB, 534x443px) Image search: [Google]
Hmmm.jpg
72KB, 534x443px
>>162230229
Yes because the cop should risk himself to protect the kid who is in immediate danger of attacking him.

Those knives are huge, and a single stab from a knife proves more deadly than a low caliber gunshot to any part of the body, dumb cunt.

>When you realize there are major arteries and large organs in every part of the body with lasting effects

Even shooting someone in the hand or foot can fuck them up for life.
>>
File: reaction image 41.jpg (138KB, 535x558px) Image search: [Google]
reaction image 41.jpg
138KB, 535x558px
>>162230765
dude what? I was just pointing out that there's more squishies in the gut than the legs. I didn't say he should have shot the legs, and nobody else in the thread did either.
>>
File: 1428437079993.gif (60KB, 160x115px) Image search: [Google]
1428437079993.gif
60KB, 160x115px
>>162231056
Oh sorry! Preemptive strike for left wing retards anyways lol.
>>
>>162229953
>Legs shot tend to be far more damageable and dangerous than bodyshot on average
That's inaccurate. One of the primary predictors of survival of ballistic trauma is location, with wounds to the limbs having a significantly higher survival rate than wounds to the torso.

>>162230765
>a single stab from a knife proves more deadly than a low caliber gunshot
That's also inaccurate. Gunshots have a universally higher mortality rate than stab wounds.

I don't disagree with the sentiment you're expressing, though.
>>
>>162199524
Ok bro, I'm about to become your hero, you ready?

http://pastebin.com/m0uBkVt0

Save that fucker, when you make your test units make sure you set one of each pair with a specific tracking skill.

Once you've got your dudes set up like that just run the script with the argument for the attribute you want to test.

As an example:
Human a (0 skill) Human b (1 skill)
Human c (0 skill) Human d (2 skill)
Human e (0 skill) Human f (3 skill)

Now if you ran attrskilltest -str you'd end up with a/c/e having 1000 str, b at 1100 str, d at 1200 str, and e at 1300 str.

Hope it's handy for the test spamming!
>>
>>162234643
Oh, I just noticed that I need to alter the script to search for the tracking skill, I was having frustrations there because I was trying to be clever and have it check the targeted unit then determine the race and search for it before searching to see if tracking was nonzero.

Right now it's just looking at the first skill in the list but if you assign weapon skills it'll change which one that is, so it's better for just testing attributes atm, I'll fix that later but I needed a break from poking at scripts.
>>
>giant comes into my area
>oh shit I bet this fucker is hard to kill I better call all my squads
>before I can call everyone to the burrow he attacks my woodcutter
>the absolute mad dwarf kills the giant with a bronze axe without any injury to himself

Was I lucky or are giants pussies ?
>>
>>162236097
Semimegabeasts in general are pussies. Giants are the toughest of them by a small margin (by virtue of being the biggest), though ettins have an extra head that can sometimes equate to higher survivability.
>>
File: EnduranceFocusPrfnTracker.png (133KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
EnduranceFocusPrfnTracker.png
133KB, 1920x1080px
>>162234643
>>162235293
>>162199524

Ok, got it fixed so it works properly now.

http://pastebin.com/iqpernST

Made a few humans, some with no tracking skill, some with high tracking skill, and the high tracking skill folks had various weapon and other combat skills.

Ran the -nnd (too lazy to figure out how to use -end without errors) and -foc options with proficient tracker on this guy, the grand master tracker nearby has superhuman in both stats.
>>
File: SuperhumanAttributesHere.png (114KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
SuperhumanAttributesHere.png
114KB, 1920x1080px
>>162236894
Here's the grandmaster one, their attributes hit 2400 since I put the change at 100*skill so you can test small variances.

I guess if you wanted to do so you can also go around and put down one group of combatants with just 1 or 2 levels of tracking, run the script for one attribute, then make another group and run the script, downside is the first group will ALSO get the new attribute, but the new ones won't, but it would be possible to alter things in the script pretty readily by just editing the numbers in the script.

If you just alter the k.id==85 to a different skill (say, blowgun?) then the script won't apply to the tracking group any more, and if you wanted to test larger values you can just edit the 1000+100 values used to set the base+bonus from the skill rating.
>>
>>162217280
>>162217052
Seems like some starts are like that if something big is happening at the place you start. Have had multiple times a start where some bandits were harassing the hillock I started in.
>>
File: 1480528605125.jpg (38KB, 320x257px) Image search: [Google]
1480528605125.jpg
38KB, 320x257px
do yuo lik elv?
>>
>>162218674
I forgot how much TJD damaged sten. A couple of lucky artery slashes would have made that fight his.
>>
>>162217280
I got that message once. Sadly, the vault in question turned out to be bugged, so I could never retrieve the slab.
>>
File: elves.png (508KB, 778x888px) Image search: [Google]
elves.png
508KB, 778x888px
>>162238468
>>
Is it normal for the first cavern layer not to start until 29 z levels down? This feels deep as fuck. I'm having to almost build a second fortress way down below to exploit this.
>>
>>162217052
That's happened to me a couple times. I think it's triggered by starting in a place where there's a demon-led army on its way. Or at least there's supposed to be one, I never could find the army, and the "bring people to safety" thing doesn't seem to work properly either, as nobody seems to know where they want to go.

>>162229953
>>162230765
>>162231173
I'd really rather avoid this sort of thing in here, but I feel compelled to point out that your preemptive strike against left wing anti-gun retards is essentially an anti second amendment stance. The idea that anyone who could hurt/kill someone must be shot immediately can very easily turn into it being de-facto illegal to own guns, since if you own a gun you might be able to shoot someone and therefore it's incumbent upon any upholder of law and order to shoot you on sight.

The video posted was not at all clear as to what was actually happening so I don't know if the cop was justified or not and don't really feel like looking into it right now.
>>
>>162240282
I mean, short of tazing the kid or hitting him with a fucking chair, yeah, a knife isn't generally going to kill when it's just some random shithead swinging them around, but I'm not gonna pick the health of one student over that of any number he might end up shanking. Literally bitchslap his ass into the ground with a chair or something assuming there wasn't a handy improvised club available.
>>
>>162240018
what kind of trees are in that cavern?

you might be on some high terrain. you can control the number of z levels between the surface and cavern layer 1 in advanced world gen.
>>
>>162241223
>what kind of trees are in that cavern?
It's got a big river and nothing but tower caps or fungiwood, so it is the shallow cavern layer. Guess I just had a high elevation start.
>>
File: BesiegedCity.png (18KB, 1303x518px) Image search: [Google]
BesiegedCity.png
18KB, 1303x518px
>>162240282
>>
>>162241297
I actually prefer to have 30-50 z levels between the surface and caverns for fort design. you can turn lemons into lemonade and make a more vertical fort, or just live in the caverns.
>>
>>162241372
Or dig upwards, mine the sky!
>>
>>162243068
Will be funnier once Toady adds an angelic counterpart to the underworld.

Although, to be honest, I think that the myth release will have the new "planes" completely replace the underworld, as well. That would probably be for the best, considering how empty and boring the current underworld is(especially compared to the old "chambers").

Having different planes tied to different spheres, and having those planes be filled by mythical cities populated by demons, angels or other mythical races depending on the circumstances will be cool as fuck.
>>
File: MoreNatureSpirits.png (696KB, 1116x874px) Image search: [Google]
MoreNatureSpirits.png
696KB, 1116x874px
>>162244060
Yeah, the best part of hell right now for me is the fact that you can deconstruct stuff if you're standing in it, and by stuff I mean "basically anything" but that's more of a bug than a feature.

Having the stuff like realms from the Cado story and such will be great.
>>
File: myth hype3.jpg (165KB, 816x639px) Image search: [Google]
myth hype3.jpg
165KB, 816x639px
>>162244287
>>
>you can't just raise a drawbridge and channel under it so you have a moat
>had to find this out the hard way

Time to deconstruct and re-construct this shitty-ass bridge
>>
>>162244787
>goblins originated from cursed dwarves
I love how much lore this will generate for each world.
>>
>>162244892
You can just raise it and create the moat using ramps from below.
>>
>>162245050
Damn that's smart thinking.
Thanks for the reply but it's too late tho. Already deconstructed it.

I need a few more years of experience not to do redundant shit like this.
>>
File: noldor.jpg (107KB, 564x590px) Image search: [Google]
noldor.jpg
107KB, 564x590px
>>162238468
>>
>>162244287
I really want to travel around in adventure mode and keep gathering items/knowledge to make my char more and more powerful and omnipotent. Ascend to godlike status, and then conquer an empire retire and have my char rule as the immortal divine emperor of the land while I play fort mode or make other chars.
>>
File: 1459813720421.png (178KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
1459813720421.png
178KB, 500x500px
Will /dfg/ deathsquads come after me if I use the out of date starter pack and tiles?
>>
>>162247062
no, but forgotten beasts will appear in your basement
>>
File: 1480628022308.jpg (44KB, 542x675px) Image search: [Google]
1480628022308.jpg
44KB, 542x675px
>>162247283
I think they're already here, or at least something like them has started to grow on my old cum sock.
I wish it was Cave wheat, I'm really yearning for some Dwarven beer.
>>
File: my face my soul.jpg (122KB, 800x532px) Image search: [Google]
my face my soul.jpg
122KB, 800x532px
>>162247420
>I think they're already here, or at least something like them has started to grow on my old cum sock.
>I wish it was Cave wheat, I'm really yearning for some Dwarven beer.
>>
>>162247062
Nobody really cares but keep in mind if you want to post screenshots your tileset might trigger some people resulting in banter and not getting any advice on the topic you posted the screen about.
>>
>>162247062
yes. the /dfg/ civilzation will siege you if you do not cut down and burn as many trees as possible as well as slaughtering elven filth.
>>
>>162238515
iirc Basket did more damage and even immobolized an arm I think.
>>
>>161968284
Is there any way to build tall structures without building floors all the way around for your dwarves to stand on while making the walls?
>>
>>162248582
No. Just like in real life, you need scaffolding.

Even if you mod your dorfs to fly, their AI won't be able to handle building whitout standing on solid ground.
>>
>>162248582
If you don't count bridges as floors, then sure! You might need to be careful about support though.
>>
>>162248676
Ty anon. I always thought it was way too hard and I was missing some minor workaround to make multi-z-level buildings.

>>162248795
Shit bro I never thought about using bridges like that.
>>
File: asciiiiiii.jpg (39KB, 375x339px) Image search: [Google]
asciiiiiii.jpg
39KB, 375x339px
>>162248052
>your tileset might trigger some people resulting in banter

So just like /rlg/ then.
I guess it's a good thing, they helped me appreciate ascii.
>>
>>162248925
Ironhand's tileset makes me want to kill myself every time.
>>
File: dorf fort tilesets.png (39KB, 406x723px) Image search: [Google]
dorf fort tilesets.png
39KB, 406x723px
>>162248987
Which of these, aside from ascii, are passable?
If any, of course.
>>
>>162249123
Why are u asking for my permission lmao.
Any that are just stylised ASCII are fine. It's when you get into the sets that completely overhaul every single tile in the game with a shitty spire that the game gets super ugly. I personally use CLA and Wanderlust which are both rly nice. In the starterpack, pretty much everything except maybe the first 4 are baby-tier "I-would-be-playing-rimworld-if-this-didn't-make-me-feel-smarter" tilesets.

As always though use what you like.
>>
File: 1445438171275.jpg (44KB, 331x270px) Image search: [Google]
1445438171275.jpg
44KB, 331x270px
>>162249331
I wasn't asking for permission, just for an opinion.
I have no problem with ascii since I mostly play roguelikes aside from DF now.
However some games like DCSS have decent tilesets so I was asking if there's an equivalent for DF, but I guess not.
Ascii it is.
>>
File: polis.jpg (32KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
polis.jpg
32KB, 500x500px
>>162249123
If non-square = it's good
If square = into the trash it goes
>>
>>162249123
Obsidian a best
>>
File: 48949485464351.png (580KB, 1114x2769px) Image search: [Google]
48949485464351.png
580KB, 1114x2769px
>>162250656
>>
So i have traders in my trade depot
Some back ground, they are human merchants and i traded alot of individual items i believe. Before they decided to leave i experimented with traps near my entrance and it restricted depot access for a bit. So now i have some human merchants in my fort for almost 2 years now. How can I force them to leave?
>>
>>162251925
How would you rate my tileset?
>>
>>161982878
We already generate worlds, civs, cities and instruments.
What should be done is generate ecosystems and animals from barebones schemes, run some evolution and get final species with civs deciding to tame some for meat, milk and work.
>>
>>162253875
>evolution
but muh myth update creation myths
>>
>>162253151
Just kill them already.
>>
>>161982878
Succubus Civ

Succubus Civ is always a good idea.

nah but for real one of the reasons I like masterwork is the variety of sentient races it adds. I know its kinda bloat but I think its neat. I just wish they were balanced better, since at the moment a few races are unrealistically OP for the sake of difficulty, Like spiders and harpies and the like having skin as tough as iron. Cut that shit out and we'd be talking.
>>
>>162253208
It is sad but not unexpected.

I'd love it in square, but I'll probably try it next time. Would you mind posting it again?
>>
>>162254271
Since it contains creature graphics, as well as numerous init edits, I decided to just upload it on DFFD.

Here you go:
>http://dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=12544
>>
>>162254091
>Succubus civ
I don't really see them forming civs or setting towns. They should behave more like megabeasts - arrive to the fortress, rapekill everyone, go further.
>>
>>162254683
Is rape a thing in DF?
Like when I assign a Sheriff and a Hammerer will they jail all the women in the fortress and make them submit to their hammers and become their harem?
>>
>>162254794
>Is rape a thing in DF?
It's heavily implied that it happens to victims of night troll and night hag kidnappings. These victims are transformed into night creatures themselves, and are forced to have children with their kidnappers.
>>
>>162254683
I always have a blast playing them in fort mode though, because of the mechanic where you can convert captured enemies into various subtypes of demons. It just seems cool to me. If it ever becomes possible to convert NPCs to demons in adventure mode then I will lose my shit. Imagine creating secret demon nests in the sewers below a city.
>>
>>162251925
What is a square tile set ?
Can you name 1?
>>
>>162254881
>It's heavily implied that it happens to victims of night troll and night hag kidnappings. These victims are transformed into night creatures themselves, and are forced to have children with their kidnappers.
This is my fucking fetish. Why is this the only thing Toady implies instead of describing in autistic detail?
>>
>>162255370
Kinda makes me want to make a nightcreature species that's comprised of cute girls and cute girls (male)
>>
>>162255695
>not beautiful women forced to watch themselves become hideous monstrosities/enslaved broodmres for more monsters
Shit fetish
>>
>>162255778
But what if they're a playable race? No one wants to play as the ugly ones. Actually, I wonder if the spouse conversion ability would be available in adventure mode.
>>
>>162255251
http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/Tileset_repository#Square_Tilesets
>>
>>162255695
Me too.

The original creature is a cute girl (single sex creatures are possible for uncivilised creatures IIRC).

She'll kidnap you and turn you into a cute girl(male).

Finally, she'll forcibly make you impregnate her (or get impregnated by her, if that's your groove), resulting in a fresh young batch of cute girlets.
>>
>>162234643
>>162235293
>>162236894
>>162237191
Oh, hey, hello

So

Good job making this, it's pretty neat.

But I have a few... problems? I don't think that's the correct word... well, let me explain first how I do tests.

So, the first thing I do, is spawn the first creature with a certain set of skills and equipment, then, I spawn the second one, with either the same set of equipment and skills as the first creature, or different ones, depending on the test. Then I make them fight.

In these particular tests, both creatures have the same skills and equipment, this is good because I don't have to waste any time changing them for each creature. And here is one of the "problems" I have with using this script, to make one of the humans have higher attributes, I have to modify his tracker skill, and then run the script, and when I want to spawn a normal human, I have to remove his tracker skill, this makes it take more time, and as far as I know, I need to run the script each time I want to make a human have higher attributes, atleast that's how it was when I used it. This takes more time than just making both creatures have the same equipment and skills and then spawning them.

I'm comfortable with the method I use because, well, I've been using it since I've started doing tests.

I'm not saying the script is bad or anything, it's neat, and I'm sure since I have no way of making something like that by myself, it's just that I prefer using my method since it's the one I'm the most comfortable with. Maybe I'll use your script for another test.

I hope I've explained it well, if I didn't, sorry, I'm not a native english speaker and my english is not good.
>>
>>162258685
>and I'm sure since I have no way of making something like that by myself
Great

I'm sure I wouldn't be able to make something like that by myself*
>>
>>162258685
Your english is solid.
I'm not that guy, but you don't use macros?
If you did, you could create the creatures super quick.
>>
>>162258904
No, I don't, I didn't know you could use macros in the arena.

I'm really dumb.
>>
>>162255370
It'salmost there already, there's two filth materials and unknown substance (white, liquid)
>>
>>162257292
Yeh we're on the same page here. Alternately if they're civilized, it could just be genders of female and trap.
>>
>>162230530
fun trivia. Harrison Ford made that scene while being extremely fevered. The original sequence was thought to be a machete fight between both actors, but severe synptoms of the illness made the opt for this fun scene
>>
>>162136512
;)
>>
>build a pumpstack
>it doesn't actually pump anything, it's just there so I can make several peasants work out
Does anyone else do this?
>>
>>162264641
DF needs full-fledged gyms for recreational purposes akin to temples.
>>
>play DF for 3 years but never really went sperg mode
>just build crude, inefficient, assymetrical forts

They do still work..
>>
>>162264641
Don't know why you would do that instead of just enlisting them. Military training is so much more effective for attribute boosts.
>>
>>162264940
>manlets
>gyms
it will be just like /fit/
>>
>>162265405
>implying I don't use pump gyms as a way to filter out those who are unworthy of joining my elite military
Also, let's not forget that the civilian populace needs to keep doing civilian jobs; pump operation is a nice way to make them work out while still letting them do their civilian jobs that doesn't give you a headache from trying to manage a decent rotation cycle.
>>
>quadroupled fort value since striking adamantine
>in the process of equipping soldiers with new gear
>A VILE FORCE APPEARS
>oh shit it's happening
>it's 10 goblins
>send squad
>goblins annihilated in 4 seconds
>>
>>162265802
Pump operating has a really high priority. Dwarves who can do it usually will, to the exclusion of all other duties. They don't even stop for trade good hauling, which overrides nearly every other civilian job. As far as I can tell the only things dwarves will stop pumping for are eating, drinking, sleeping and pulling levers.
>>
>>162266087
It's always 10 at first, then 120 + 40 trolls the next time.
>>
>>162266474
Which is why you need to have more pumpers than pumps; after all, those natty gains are no use if your peasants never use them to haul stone faster or save their friends from cave beasties?

>>162266567
This, anon. Prepare for escalation.
>>
>>162255849
>But what if they're a playable race? No one wants to play as the ugly ones
I do if I can turn an elf princess into a hideous night troll and force her to bear my disgusting spawn, all while hating herself and wishing desperately she were dead.
>>
>>162260050
>It'salmost there already, there's two filth materials and unknown substance (white, liquid)
wut
>>
I'm six years in with a metropolis of 198 dwarves and still no Baron. What gives?

>>162265392
I prefer asymetrical organic looking forts myself. Very comfy. Feels "lived-in".
>>
>>162267094
How much have you exported so far?
>>
>>162267186
I'm not at the computer with DF on it right now but I think 20k or so? I remember getting the Baron almost immediately but it's been years since I seriously played. Did they make the requirements steeper?
>>
>>162267350
It's 20 population, 100k created wealth and 10k exported wealth for a baron, and I'd be surprised if you didn't have 100k created wealth with that population. The caravans are still coming, right?
>>
>>162267547
I have over 1 million created wealth. The caravans are still cming. Although they ran away once a couple years ago after being spooked by goblins. Did that glitch it?
>>
>>162267638
No idea.

Speaking of nobility, did Toady ever get inheritance figured out? If I whack off my annoying duke, will his adult son become the new duke? It feels kind of pointless setting up big fancy rooms for nobility knowing that it'll only be used for 1 generation.
>>
>>162267774
theoretically, should work fine
practically, wait until next update, family stuff has been thought out because heirlooms and shiet
>>
>>162268109
You think we'll have to start making rooms for the offspring of nobility too?
>>
>>162268301
Nobles should be allowed to claim a harem of at least 10 female dwarves in my opinion.
>>
>>162267774
>whack off
>>
>>162268632
Hm. I don't know if Toady is ever going to implement code for polygamy, but we should at least hope he codes in a way for us to implement polygamy ourselves if we go through the trouble of modifying the raws.
>>
>>162268839
With polygamy noble inheritance would be come pretty hilarious
>>
>>162268695
Do, hit, cause to have an unfortunate accident, send swimming with cinnabar blocks for shoes, you get the picture.
>>
>>162268947
If he implements an arena and dueling system, it'd be pretty fun.
>>
>>162268632
And what about female nobles?
>>
>>162269676
They should also be allowed to claim a harem of at least 10 female dwarves
>>
>>162268109
Does this mean that killing a king will have a meaningful impact or does that not happen yet?
>>
File: 1480713058865.jpg (10KB, 300x200px) Image search: [Google]
1480713058865.jpg
10KB, 300x200px
>>162269810
>>
>>162270010
Inheritance of titles is already a thing, if that's what you mean. After the artifact update their heir might walk over and pick up their named sock. Aside from that it will be pretty much the same.
>>
how can ded threds be real if our bumps aren't real
>>
File: 55876859678.png (12KB, 1349x115px) Image search: [Google]
55876859678.png
12KB, 1349x115px
>>162275640
because we've got dank artifacts

also
>fleshy gates
>>
>>162276005
>emeraldveiled
>made of hematite and carnelian

I think your dwarf is colorblind.
>>
File: 1477710322260.jpg (57KB, 599x539px) Image search: [Google]
1477710322260.jpg
57KB, 599x539px
>>
So uh, why exactly does it take so long to update tools like Dwarf Therapist or DFHack? I mean, 43.05 has been out since july, apparently. Is a new version going to come out before the tools are updated?

Has anybody tried asking Toady to make the process easier by sharing relevant infos or keep tools compatible for "small" version changes from say xx.04 to xx.05?
>>
>>161994007
>ant farm
Fuck, I wish it played itself and I could just observe.
>>
>>162277624
diseases and disorders update when
>>
>>162277738
v > p > l
select "programming" labor
get to work

or just use the in-game labor management system because it's not actually that bad if you're not a beginner.
>>
File: wtf.jpg (14KB, 163x141px) Image search: [Google]
wtf.jpg
14KB, 163x141px
4 dwarves managed to get inside here, no stair or hole or anything other than solid rock above or below them. How did this happen?
>>
File: 786594837653874.png (3KB, 233x150px) Image search: [Google]
786594837653874.png
3KB, 233x150px
fuck, is there a limit on the amount of things someone will require for a strange mood?
>>
>>162280951
Dodged through the walls during combat demonstration.
>>
>>162281037
Planepacked. Look it up.
>>
>>162258685
Spam the original copies without tracking skill.

Then spam the new ones with tracking skill.

Alternatively uhhh. Spawn half the creatures with the same skills, tracking included, run the script, then spawn the rest and leave them as they are, it only changes the attributes on the ones spawned at the time.

If you spawn 50 creatures and run the script it will active on all of them, then spawn the next 50 and it won't be active on them.
>>
>>162281061
Is that a bug or have they learned to phase through walls?
>>
>>162281329
http://www.bay12games.com/dwarves/mantisbt/view.php?id=7444
>>
File: harp.jpg (97KB, 867x475px) Image search: [Google]
harp.jpg
97KB, 867x475px
This is more than my fort was worth yesterday
>>
>>162258685
Alternatively, spawn the first half of the creatures without tracker skill, then raise the skill and spawn the second half of creatures with it, I went with tracker because it has absolutely no way of contaminating any tests btw, if it would work better I could hack in a quick change to a different skill if it was more convenient, and also macros like the other anon said.

I'm not sure if you were using the multi-cell arena layout comfybro made or not, I did make it with that one in mind so you could go down the row through a bunch of rooms adding the control subjects, then just change the tracking skill and run down adding the test subjects to each room before you run the script and it'll alter them all at once.

I could probably make a version to give different stats based on gender if you wanted, drop a male and female in each room then run the script.

I figured the tracking method would be easier because it would keep you from having to go in and redo the raws each time, just drop the subjects down in a different order with the tracking skill changes and you could do tests of up to +1400 str/agi/foc/int/etc with ordinary humans.
>>
File: 87694853245.png (12KB, 1337x115px) Image search: [Google]
87694853245.png
12KB, 1337x115px
>>162281190
Well, it may not be a Planepacked but, I think it's badass in its own way. So now I have a leather vest with blood red and iron spikes with the founding of my fortress emblazoned on it also in iron.
>>
File: DemonLordFirstPart.png (11KB, 1358x408px) Image search: [Google]
DemonLordFirstPart.png
11KB, 1358x408px
>>162277738
Toady said he would add a flag to export symbols next time.

Updating to 64 bit broke some of the methods used to locate them, forcing efforts to find them from scratch in several cases, windows/linux/fagx 32 bit versions are mostly done, while the 64 bit versions are in various states of completion.

>>162217052
They got the first part of the message posted too.
>>
>>162268301
>>162268632
>>162268839
The actual need system for kings is pretty shitty
Realistically, kings should ask for certain number of things/rooms/artifacts based on the whole richness and importance of his kingdom

I mean, what every king asks for in your fort is pretty poor, but I dont think a kobold king could request a fucking efigy-castle built in his honor

That would be awesome tho, as a more unclear need for kings, they could order you to start making monuments in his honor with certain directions, like giant crosses or something

Polygamy, as any nickbit based on culture/weirdness of kingdom, should be allowed if its the normal thing, or if the king is a needy bitch and requests it because fetishes. Yeah, it would be FUN as hell and very interesting as well, but the game can allow itself to have weird stuff like this
>>
>>162270010
It doesn not happen for now, but yeah
Realistically, a kingdom is his king
A king is a person
A person is himself and his circumstances

This means that when a king dies, even if the sucession is peaceful, the new king could change all the things the previous king did
We have zero stuff for directing a country, but emitting laws, executing them , economy, rights and obligations, all could be changed by a king
>>
>>162270436
>>162269810
>A kinddom led by a group of lesbian valkyrias dwarves, drinking and fighting all day, and fugging elven slaves when they feel like itthey drop them in a hole in the mountain after

My heart
>>
File: GenderScriptTest.png (93KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
GenderScriptTest.png
93KB, 1920x1080px
>>162258685
Aight, here we go.

http://pastebin.com/BKDzdKEF

Do your usual thing, set all the test subjects to the same skills, same tracking, etc.

The difference: make one of each pair a male, and one a female, then run the script when you've got them all in place.

Ran this:
attrgndrtest.lua

In this case, the females with 3 tracking here have 1300 str, the males have 1000 str, the females with 6 tracking here have 1600 str, the males have 1000 str.
>>
>>162277898
when you get to a certain point, its exactly that
Just need more freedom and decision-making for dorfs and you are set, because automation is bretty good (although it could be bettered)
>>
>>162285654
Whoops, meant "ran this: attrgndrtest.lua -str" and it set the values by gender+skill.
>>
I did more tests

Out of 100 rounds the human won 46 times and the human200str 54. In the second set the human won 44 times and the human200str 56.

Out of 100 rounds the human won 53 times and the human200agi won 47. In the second set the human won 42 and the human200str 58.

Out of 100 rounds the human won 45 times and the human200tou won 55. In the second set the human won 42 times and the human200tou won 58.

Except for the first set of the test with the human200agi, the human variants won more times that the normal humans, it seems having 200 extra points in one of those attributes does make a difference, or maybe it's just RNG.

These are all the tests I did today, I've also updated the pastebin with the results and the new human variants raw.

>>162281216
>>162282141
I am using the arena comfybro made, and yes, I could just put 50 humans with tracking skill and then run the script, but one of the things I forgot to add in my post, is that I prefer to do each fight individually. By this I mean that I spawn two creatures and I make them fight, then I spawn two more and do the same, and so on.

Of course, I could just put 50 humans with tracking skill in each cell, and then, one by one, make them fight against a normal human, but the humans in the other cells would move around their cell while the other fights, instead of staying in one place, and, even though maybe that wouldn't affect the test, I don't like it. And I think the same thing could be done with the human variants, so I don't see a reason to use the script.

The script does save me the time of altering the raws, but, that's just changing a few numbers, and I only have to do it once all the tests are done.

Again, maybe I'll use the script in another test.

Oh, also, I'm really, really bad with macros, so I'll just keep doing in manually.
>>
>>162285690
But they won't dig tunnels on their own or build on their own. Unless I missed a major thing in the patchnotes.
Watching ants dig their own tunnels is like half of the fun of these things.
>>
>>162286052
Well you can do it with male/female now, just set the tracking skill to 3 in each case and then run attrgndrskill.lua -str/agi/nnd/tou etc and it will make one gender+300 in that attribute.
>>
>>162286290
Oh, that's cool, but again, I prefer using my method for these tests.

Maybe I'll use the script in another test after I'm done with these.
>>
File: DemFeelsUrist.jpg (130KB, 779x634px) Image search: [Google]
DemFeelsUrist.jpg
130KB, 779x634px
>>162286778
T.T

Oh, ok.
>>
>>162286778
Though, I'll need to think about how to tweak it but I think it could be converted to set attributes for tourneyanon.
>>
>>162286219
I mean, eventually toady will have to come up with a logical AI for digging, for the AI construction in cities
If Im not wrong, Buildings in the world are very similar in form, with no diffrences for culture or taste. Not only that, but they 'spawn' without actually having to get materials or build stuff, which ruins inmersion
In the future, you'll be able to see a king ordering to build a new castle, and going to the city to see it being built in real time
This will require a looooot of new mechanics and stuff
>>
Did Toady nerf pain? I chipped a bone like 10 times and fractured the dudes hands and feet with a warhammer yet he was still fighting without any sign of passing out.
>>
>>162287286
What are you fighting
>>
>>162287450
was fighting a regular human with no skills in arena as a troll. Also do you know what skill(s) governs horns/hooves for combat? It doesn't seem to be misc.item user or striker
>>
>>162287823
Horns biter

Hooves kicker
>>
>>162287909
>>162287823
>>162287450
>>162287286
Toady did, in fact, nerf pain
I cant make anything fall unconscious now, and god knows I commit real bad stuff in the game
>>
>>162287178
>castle built in real time
Geez.
>>
File: uh.jpg (88KB, 878x423px) Image search: [Google]
uh.jpg
88KB, 878x423px
whoops
>>
File: WellThatWasHorrific.png (267KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
WellThatWasHorrific.png
267KB, 1920x1080px
>>162286052
Just because I was curious to see how it would work I set up a little version of the rooms layout.

36 +500 agi hum vs 36 +0 agi hum
11 +500 agi hum dead
36 +500 str hum vs 36 +0 agi hum
8 +500 str hum dead
36 +500 tou hum vs 36 +0 tou hum
16 +500 tou hum dead
36 +500 end vs 36 +0 end hum
17 +500 end hum dead
>>
>>162289851
what, wouldnt you want to see that in-game
>Work up in a comfy job building the world
or
>Be able to remodelate the world to your will
or
>Designate secret entrances in your buildings, that only the adventurers you create can get in

Sounds good to me
>>
>>162291591
Building a castle in real time takes a longass time, especially with medieval techniques. Some people are rebuilding one with these methods in France, total build times is estimated at more than 30 years.
I don't really want to go through that much in adventure mode, no.
>>
File: 2016_12_09_15_56_12.jpg (913KB, 2431x1435px) Image search: [Google]
2016_12_09_15_56_12.jpg
913KB, 2431x1435px
Old dwarfs never die.
>>
>>162291931
I mean, irl you cant also wrestle elephant-men to death, can you?
In adv. mode already you can build stuff, and with friends you dont need that much time
You could scale it to take years, but it wouldnt, unless you wanted to

Picture 100 dwarves working together to start a small village, they dont take that much
Now Imagine if 300 experts were commisioned to make a basic castle, it wont take up 30 years
>>
File: WelcomeToTheHorrorBoxes.png (313KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
WelcomeToTheHorrorBoxes.png
313KB, 1920x1080px
>>162291267
Fuck, got distracted and lost track of what I was doing, put down 55 pairs with a +400 str human in each, 28 died.

Then I figured out how to do it properly.

Put down 100 pairs with +4 tracking and THEN saved before running the script.

Out of 100 humans with +400 str, 36 died.
>>
>>162294091
Well that's much faster.

Out of 100 humans with +400 attribute boosts vs 100 with +0:

36 str died
48 agi died
45 tou died
36 end died
53 foc died
52 wil died
60 int died
45 kin died
47 spa died

Strength = Endurance > Toughness = Kinesthetic Sense > Spatial Sense > Agility > Willpower > Focus > Intuition
>>
File: unib contemplates life.png (24KB, 584x496px) Image search: [Google]
unib contemplates life.png
24KB, 584x496px
>>
File: hihohihoitsofftopukewego.png (126KB, 1848x589px) Image search: [Google]
hihohihoitsofftopukewego.png
126KB, 1848x589px
>>162296924
Clever, almost makes me wanna see something like this. I happened to notice them grab a helm pump and head off to their room, barfing the whole way, barf on the chair, sit in it, barf on the table, hork down the helm pump, barf it back up, then barf back upstairs.
>>
I did one more test

Out of 100 rounds the human won 55 times and the human200end won 45. In the second set the human won 36 times and the human200end 64.

I think the human200end won more times in the second set because in fights where both humans have a full set of armor, the one who goes unconscious from exhaustion first usually loses.

>>162294091
Why are there several humans in the same cell

Or is the U tile used for more than one thing
>>
I have charcoal littering all over my fort in different stockpiles but my smelters complain of lack of fuel constantly, sometimes they work and they can smelt 1 bar but then they complain again.

What is causing this?
>>
>>162297838
Those were corpses from earlier tests before I remembered I could just save AFTER putting down the cohort and then run the script > test > count > kill the game > reload > repeat
>>
File: The ULTIMATE girls.png (81KB, 1920x1037px) Image search: [Google]
The ULTIMATE girls.png
81KB, 1920x1037px
lmao they even added bands to the game? this game just keeps on giving
>>
>>162298509
Fun fact: they're strippers.

No shit, almost guaranteed they're totally nude apart from a handful of books or instruments.

Troupes are counted as a civ technically but have none of the equipment/ethic/etc links so you get these wandering armies of nude musicians and librarians and shit now and then.
>>
Holy fuck, strippers? You're right too, they are all wearing nothing.

Praise Toady
>>
File: get new friends toady.png (77KB, 648x648px) Image search: [Google]
get new friends toady.png
77KB, 648x648px
>those fucking replies
>>
File: 1476928446166.png (90KB, 279x232px) Image search: [Google]
1476928446166.png
90KB, 279x232px
>>162299131
those fuckers are going to be cursed with lycanthropy if they keep that shit up
>>
>>162299131
Haha, that last one. People are still salty about the election I love it.
>>
>>162298245
Huh

I have a question about that but I don't know how to ask it correctly.

Also, if you just make them all fight at the same time, don't you run the risk of counting someone that died after defeating his opponent?

I think doing each fight individually is better because that doesn't happen.
>>
File: 2016_12_09_17_18_30.jpg (1MB, 3240x2012px) Image search: [Google]
2016_12_09_17_18_30.jpg
1MB, 3240x2012px
>>162299131
are they Jewish?
>>
>>162299290
>>162299297
It seems like Toady liked all of those comments, to make things worse.
>>
>>162299313
Well, I only saw a couple of cases where someone died after their foe, but I figure if a stat difference contributes to that happening often it'll come out as a wash.

I skipped over +300 btw cause I wasn't sure if you had started it on them yet or not.
>>
>>162300087
If you wanna do these tests yourself, you should say what kind of skills and equipment the fighters have.

What skills and equipment did they have in your test?
>>
>>162301004
I had em nude there with no skills, was just a base establishing comparison of the +400 attributes vs +0 attributes.
>>
>>162295841
Intelligence confirmed for a disadvantage.

brb lobotomy
Thread posts: 758
Thread images: 161

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.