[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/dfg/ - Dwarf Fortress General

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 766
Thread images: 132

File: my son.jpg (89KB, 485x594px) Image search: [Google]
my son.jpg
89KB, 485x594px
Cancerous memes edition
Previous thread >>159069562

>Download the basic game here. Current version is Dwarf Fortress 0.43.05
http://www.bay12games.com/dwarves/

>Official forums:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php

>Find a bug? Don't tell us! Tell Toady! Complaining in the thread will accomplish nothing.
http://www.bay12games.com/dwarves/mantisbt

>Have a question? Check the wiki first:
http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/Main_Page

>Fireden archived threads:
https://boards.fireden.net/vg/search/subject/Dwarf%20Fortress/

>Dwarf Therapist (Out of Date):
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=122968.0

>DFHack (Out of date. Alpha version available, expect issues if you use it.):
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=139553.0
Alpha: https://github.com/DFHack/dfhack/releases/tag/0.43.05-alpha1

>Starter Pack (Out of Date):
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=126076.0

>More DF stuff:
http://pastebin.com/AnsHjQ40

>Dwarf Fortress General IRC chat:
http://en.irc2go.com/webchat/?net=freenode&room=dwarffortress
(to connect yourself: https://webchat.freenode.net #dwarffortress)

>A bunch of guides to various parts of fort-based living:
http://imgur.com/a/nGyRF#0

>Video tutorials:
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLBrdUj1adIBD-vgUodaaxebcdqQ4oEWtg
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLD1A3FE72C0DCAC66 (Dated, but good)

>Text tutorials:
http://dwarffortresswiki.org/DF2014:Tutorials
http://members.iinet.net.au/~morty/Getting_Started_with_Dwarf_Fortress.pdf

>This pasta:
http://pastebin.com/iAduXzjn

Strike the earth!
>>
File: and not just fishing vermin.jpg (103KB, 948x651px) Image search: [Google]
and not just fishing vermin.jpg
103KB, 948x651px
>>159355865
I'm posting bote until toady adds botes in the game and we can have real fishing in the game.
>>
>>159356271
We talking small boats or big galleons like mobile forts?
>>
File: bote 6.png (213KB, 948x100px) Image search: [Google]
bote 6.png
213KB, 948x100px
>>159356369
All botes. Toady said he WILL add boates and they'll be small and big, some behaving like fortresses.
Bote mode when
>>
>>159356423
Now this I want. imagine how much faeces will be on every dwarf if you don't have a shower in a choke point.
>>
>>159356271
Didn't you completely miss the last thread?
>>
>>159357083
that's why it was good
>>
Do you guys stick to one kind of weapon or do you have multiple squads with different types? What kinds do you prefer? I partial to hammers myself.
>>
>>159360601
I generally stick to two groups, one with hammers and one with battleaxes.

I try to work in x-bow dorfs, but it never works. Maybe i should throw in a spear dorf squad.
>>
>>159358335
not as good as your mother
>>
got dammut where did everybody go?
>>
>>159356423
>>159356790
Are coins back in yet? As in, every dwarf carrying his own wealth with him? I miss those throwing competitions with coins as lethal flying objects.
>>
>>159360601
Warhammers and Picks
everything else (except crossbows) is a mistake.
>>
File: VectorCurses+1.png (43KB, 384x576px) Image search: [Google]
VectorCurses+1.png
43KB, 384x576px
Damn DePlatino for making such appealingly clean text.

>>159356369
Yes.

>>159362179
The economy isn't active yet, no.
>>
ight so first fort on the go, on year 4. plenty of food and drink, shrooms and berries being farmed. few questions

what do i do with figurines, how do I know the squad members have equipped the weapon i told them to. does each dwarf have an inventory I can see?

Ive dug down to layer 136? just touched the top of a cavern. What do I do now, i have a variety of gems cut and stored and all I can do is encrust furniture whats that worth.

also quite a bit of copper and silver, do i make metal weapons? the fuck do i fight with them
>>
>>159307997
>wearing an amulet as an earring
>>
>>159352615
>>159353160
The default keybind is ctrl+shift+z, you can change it in dfhack.init
>>
>>159365246
Assign a [n]oble to the position of [m]anager, then open the [u]nits screen and then the [j]obs list to find the [m]anager interface.

Through there you can set orders to produce various things, do various jobs, etc.

A suit of armor should be at least a helm, mail shirt, gauntlets, and high boots. Ideally with a hood and cloak for facial features.

Copper armor and weapons aren't ideal, if you come across hematite, magnetite, or limonite you can make iron, if you come across uh, shit, bismuthinite I think, you can go after bronze, which is better, unless you have flux stone like marble, dolomite, chalk, and the like which can be used to make steel.

Copper edged weapons are ok for a start, but silver blunt weapons kick ass, silver war hammers and maces are a good start for a military, copper shields are heavy for bashing and less fragile than wooden shields which can get damaged now.

To see the inventory you can loo[k] at a unit, or [v]iew them.

To line up jobs directly besides the manager you can [q]uery buildings and oors and such and start jobs or tasks or toggle states like locking doors, ordering levers pulled, or deconstruction.
>>
Is Elkposter ever going to finish our quest for pussy?
>>
>>159366228
alright i have some silver, guess ill make some hammers at the metalwork forge? or is it the craft workshop.

i have all the doors i need, what do i do though just keep digging until i hit some subterranean creature and let it wipe me out or what. the only action ive seen are kobolds.

again though, how do i make sure my squads have actually equipped the stuff.
>>
>>159366847
there is no real goal to DF, its an old school sim like simcity. up to you what you want to do.
>>
>>159366847
read the military tutorial.

military is actually a bitch to figure out, its almost too hard to explain without figuring it out for yourself.
>>
>>159366847
Like the others said, decide what you want to see if you can do, and see if you can do it.

As you start making more stuff and getting more dorfs you'll begin getting attention from more interesting visitors.

They can show up in the caverns too, in unpredictable and often horribly deadly forms, so be careful there too.
>>
hundreds and hundreds of hours of this shit and I'd hadn't encountered pus until now. had to look it up to see if it was a new feature
>>
File: resize failed.jpg (72KB, 1280x800px) Image search: [Google]
resize failed.jpg
72KB, 1280x800px
>>159368009
my entire fort is built in dirt and its starting to grow grass inside im gonna regen in a proper mountain and make a decent palace.

>>159368180
i figure it has something to do with this armor rack but thanks.
>>
>>159357083
N-n-no I didn't shut up
>>
>>159366228
copper and tin make bronze. Bismuthinite can make bismuth bronze, which is identical to bronze in material quality but is more valuable and always worth the cost of making if you were already making bronze.

If you're using copper the only edged weapon you should make are spears. If I had only silver and copper, I would use silver warhammers squads and crossbow squads, personally.
>>
>>159368180
I don't understand how toady couldn't make a consistent UI? I've learned everything now but seriously.
>>
>>159369893
well, since everything is in ASCII instead of using sprites, he has to use Hotkeys for all the commands instead of icons, like a normal game.
>>
>>159368868
that normal, grass is good cause you can feed your grazers.

If you don't like it you can build floors over it so it won't grow. You can also build walls while you're at, it increases the value of the rooms and doesn't requiring (or allow) smoothing or engraving like natural stone.
>>
>>159369730
Tin is what I was derping on, I have only had a chance to actually set up a bronze industry without access to steel overriding it like once, but it had bismuthinite there too, thank ya.
>>
>>159366228
Bronze isn't better than iron in any way except for it's marginally higher density making it marginally better for blunt attacks.
k doesn't allow you to see a creature's inventory.

>>159368868
Having dirt for the first few z levels of an embark isn't unusual, and is desirable in many cases. You just dig deeper before you start settling. That's a tiny fort, and you could redig it a zlevel or 3 down in minutes, no need for a new embark.
>>
>>159373378
Cassiterite is the ore of tin. That's usually where people stumble in memory.

Cassiterite is focused in alluvial layers, which means areas of erosion from water and near/buried in sedimentary layers. That means it's actually quite rare to get all the pieces of bronze without getting at least iron, if not steel.
>>
>>159374654
You get a lot more cassiterite in granite, which is a very common layer stone and can exist throughout the entirety of an embark. Alluvial layers are much less common by comparison, and can only exist in a small zone near the top of an embark. It's not unusual at all to get tons of cassiterite without a single component of steel.
>>
File: BronzeVsIron.png (210KB, 1309x844px) Image search: [Google]
BronzeVsIron.png
210KB, 1309x844px
>>159374617
It isn't quite that simple, and I am too used to thinking about adventure mode loo[k] I guess.

Looks like the yield values are higher for bronze, but fracture is lower, and it's denser. They're pretty close though.

>>159374654
Yeah, I've only had one fort which was a 2x2 with one forest tile and three mountain tiles, had a good amount of a flux as I recall, but only silver/copper/tin and then I hit a seam of bismuthinite up in the highest parts of the mountain... with the cassiterite under the forest part.
>>
>only way get a dog/animal companion is to create an interaction that gives [INTELLIGENT]
>>
>>159377610

Yeah, but then it'll cause the dog/animal to speak.
>>
File: stuckinhead.png (17KB, 994x348px) Image search: [Google]
stuckinhead.png
17KB, 994x348px
>>159376563
Had a stonesense shot of it but can't remember where, though I know this was from it because I had carved the living area/bedrooms around a drained volcano and all the dorfs spent time plinking bolts into cavern wildlife that tried to come up.
>>
>>159376563
>It isn't quite that simple
You're right, it isn't quite that simple. It's pretty damn close to that simple, though. The raws you posted add up to "iron is better if you're doing anything other than making blunt weapons."
>>
I have a shit ton of lead, what should I do with it?
>>
>>159377965
build water pumps
make pewter figurines and carefully arrange chess sets or wargame boards
>>
>>159377887
Well, higher impact/compressive/tensile/shear/bending yield with the higher impact/tensile strain at yield means it's better at shrugging off blunt weapons I think, but the lower fracture values means it isn't as good at stopping blades.

Toady uses weird values there though, so it's pretty confusing, but aside from something using exclusively edged attacks bronze should come out better as armor.
>>
do traps still block caravans?
>>
>>159377887
iron and bronze are almost identical, bronze is only marginally inferior to iron.

You're better off saving your iron for steel.
>>
>>159380404
It's not exclusively inferior, like I said, it'll shrug off blunt impacts better if I'm reading the raws properly.
>>
>>159380896
I don't debate that, what i'm saying is that its only slightly inferior, barely noticeable in other regards in comparison to iron.
>>
>>159380896
it's heavier, which means it will slow down your dwarves' attacks.
>>
File: wetwillow.png (4KB, 642x332px) Image search: [Google]
wetwillow.png
4KB, 642x332px
Is there any good way to make sure my woodcutters don't cut trees in such a way that the logs fall into ponds? I'd rather not have to drain a pond every time I want some willow logs.
>>
Build floors over the ponds
>>
>>159381829
Until they get their armor skill up, at which point it doesn't matter anymore, and they'll barely notice the difference between bronze and iron, it's far less than the bronze/copper one after all.

>>159381047
Well, it's better against stuff like fists, hammers, misc object wielders and the like which can't strike at the lower edged resistance easily.

>>159382678
If you wanted to paint a burrow that overlapped the side you need it cut from perhaps?
>>
How long do you let your worldgen run? I set it to 250 years because I'm impatient.
>>
>>159378679
Some of those values aren't used by the game at all except for wrestling, and aren't applicable to armor or weapon calculations at all (bending and torsion), and compressive values are only used for pinching. Nothing that can pinch through iron will fail to pinch through bronze. Strain at yield and shear yield are entirely neglible at nearly any value, but especially at such small differences. Lower impact yield is better for blunt defense (although they're close enough for the two that the difference rarely matters in iron's favor).
Density is the really the only thing bronze has going for it in the defensive column too, but iron is close enough in density that there's only a tiny sweet spot of blunt attack momenta that bronze is going to deflect but iron won't. Small differences in shear fracture are relevant more often, as there are something like twice as many edged melee weapons in the game, and shear fracture ratios receives a hefty multiplier in the calc to determine penetration that magnifies differences between the armor and weapon.
Or put more simply, iron armor and bronze armor have a very similar likelihood to deflect a blunt attack from either a bronze or iron weapon. But iron is a good deal more likely than bronze to stop an edged attack from an iron weapon, and a much more likely to stop an edged attack from a bronze weapon.
>>
>>159383410
Around 100 years seems to be the agreed upon sweet spot for everything that isn't a world full of necromancers. It's enough time for wars to start and develop without too many civs fizzling out.
>>
>>159384243
Hmmm, I'm not as sure that the bending and torsion aren't important with armor damage and such now, and I thought compressive applied to force transfer but testing didn't really hit on those values and was before the transfer/damage changes anyways.

Mostly I just meant that stuff swinging copper/silver/flesh is going to prefer an iron covered target over bronze.

It's weird because bronze shouldn't really be that much heavier on a weapon to weapon comparison, and the flexibility of bronze isn't represented in game at all. Iron is a lot more brittle than the values in the raws suggest.

http://www.bronze-age-swords.com/intro.htm

It's easier to work with, doesn't rust the instant you look away, and only lost out due to the rarity of tin. It wasn't until steel that we obsoleted bronze.
>>
>>159355865
any game breaking bugs about the latest version? anything i should know about i have not played since tavern arc
>>
>>159386842
I don't know about game breaking, but it's certainly very annoying: traveling armies in adventure mode will pretty much always be asleep forever, so there's basically no actual conflict between civs past world gen. Armies can still reach you in fort mode, but if you try to intercept any as an adventurer you'll find that there's absolutely nothing you can do about it. It's so bad that you can sometimes find whole armies in tents in the middle of rivers which will drown when you pass them by.

Actually it feels like world activation in general is just a buggy mess. It still doesn't feel like the world changes much after world gen because half the shit that changes stuff is completely broken.
>>
Can I use DFhack to find an NPC in adventure mode? I can't find them in the game itself and I'm unable to ask about them.
>>
>>159373134
>Building a fort in dirt is normal
>>
>>159389084
Rock is just large dirt.
Dirt is tiny microscopic rock.
>>
do you always have to build two stairs next to eachother? it wont like "acknowledge" my designation if I dont have two.
>>
>>159387524
I have been incredibly incensed about this when I first noticed it.

Do y'all think it will be fixed by the next update?
>>
>>159390208
What the fuck are you even talking about.
Are you making sure your designations are accessible?
>>
>>159386082
Ah, you know I didn't even consider the new(ish) force translation mechanics. I was mostly expounding on ancient material property research. That's a fair point, and I don't know what values are used by those calcs, or even which layers and objects have the calcs applied to them. If any research has been done on the subject I haven't seen it, but that certainly looks like a place that Toady would apply some of the underused material properties.
>>
File: UhYeahKidsLookTheOtherWay2.png (238KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
UhYeahKidsLookTheOtherWay2.png
238KB, 1920x1080px
>>159387524
They don't respond right when you're around them but they siege towns and ruin shit and impale bodies on pikes. I've seen sites founded, conquered, sacked, and more all while playing adventurer mode and building campsites.
>>
>>159392730
Well that's a relief.

Still damn annoying when all I want to be is a roaming mercenary jumping into pre-existing conflicts.
>>
>>159390481
like select build down stair, press enter. nothing happens. select build stair, press enter then press up then enter again, and it builds them.

second question, my hunter ran out of ammo but isnt using any of the 12 stacks i have sitting on the top floor what gives
>>
>>159393730
How do i stop my dwarves from auto-filling a stone stock pile from shit theyve mined way in the depths. if its full they leave it, but its not.
>>
>>159395102
By not making a stone stockpile. They're pointless wastes of dwarfpower.
>>
>>159396557
>>159395102
this, if you want stone concentrated in a single area
>set single tile dump zone
>designate stones for dumping
>all the stone is piled in a single tile and you can deactivate it without deleting it
>>
>>159395102
>>159396557
Or you can set it to accept from links only. You could also set it not to accept the types of stone which are being mined way in the depths, but I find fiddling with that annoying.
>>
>>159366364
I hope so anon, I hope so.
>>
>>159380896
>2 * w_size * wIY > A * a_density
>If this test fails the blunt attack will be deflected. But, impact yields are typically at least 10 times larger than density values for the actual metals available, so this step is routinely passed by most weapons regardless of relative materials.

Armor is all about turning edged attacks into blunt attacks, which strongly relies upon the weapon material and armor material in which Adamantine > Steel > Iron > Bronze > Copper > Silver > Everything else holds true, and then its second job of being rigid armor ie. the choice of Breastplates and not just chain shirts, to absorb the force of blunt attacks.

Also, it's a disadvantage to fight in armor when you're poorly trained in armor because of the speed penalties.
>>
>>159399324
Hmmm, I can't recall the armor yield not mattering, I'll have to check through the thread later.
>>
I embarked on a cold biome and the river hasn't unfrozen even though its summer.

Is there anyway to fix this using dfhack? does it get warmer in autumn?
>>
>>159400369
seems like you fell for the "turn off temperature" meme

if you turn temperature off, ice will NEVER thaw
>>
File: marcille_crying_and_stomping.jpg (12KB, 207x221px) Image search: [Google]
marcille_crying_and_stomping.jpg
12KB, 207x221px
>manager conditions can check the amount of aardvark blood you have but not sweetpods
>>
>>159399619
Armor yield matters down the line in checks.

>>159400369
try, uh, making the squares in-doors? It's been a long time since I've messed with temp of objects and the ways you could change them. How far below 0 C is the ice?
>>
File: froggy.gif (4MB, 380x273px) Image search: [Google]
froggy.gif
4MB, 380x273px
>>
File: sweet pod.jpg (101KB, 1707x369px) Image search: [Google]
sweet pod.jpg
101KB, 1707x369px
>>159403341
:giggle:

I'll tell you how but only if you post more marcille
>>
File: 1451290196936.png (42KB, 249x284px) Image search: [Google]
1451290196936.png
42KB, 249x284px
>>159403752
commence the spoonfeeding
>>
>>159403798
item type: Plants
Material type: Dwarven syrup
>>
File: 1475295430546.png (19KB, 160x186px) Image search: [Google]
1475295430546.png
19KB, 160x186px
>>159403861

Thanks, never would have figured that out in a million years
>>
How fucked am I? I embarked on a volcano but I haven't found anything metal wise except for Cassiterite and Gold. Only weapons and armor is stuff I got from caravans and obsidian short swords. I'm also about to be at war with the elves because of course I am.
>>
>>159404685
Volcanoes will do that. They rarely if ever have serviceable metals.

Use magma for defense. (Traps, etc. are okay too) It's the only way until you can get some goblinite or better trade from caravans.
>>
>>159403535
>try, uh, making the squares in-doors?
I think it's aboveground/subterranean that determines whether a tile has the fixed underground temp or the ambient biome temp. I'm not certain of that, but I do know that simply building a roof over ice won't cause it to melt.
>>
>>159403535
its 1 degree below.

Its weird, its raining but the tempature is still below freezing. Tempature is definitely on btw.
>>
>>159400369
If the biome is cold enough, ice will simply never melt. Dig down and try to find water in the caverns.
Or dig down and build a 150-level pump stack to bring magma to the surface to heat up the river. That works too.
>>
>>159405827
I'm not going to do that.

The biome read cold, not freezing, so it should thaw. If its not that means something is wrong.
>>
>>159404685
Elves have wooden armor and weapons, so that shouldn't be much of an issue equipment wise. Just keep buying weapons and armor, and ask the liaison to bring more of them. The quality will be poor, but they should still serve. That gold means you can buy as much stuff as you want. Once you start getting goblin sieges, melt down the metal gear they have.
>>
>>159404979
>They rarely if ever have serviceable metals.
That's not true. Hematite can be in igneous extrusive layers. Igneous intrusive layers almost always have tetrahedrite, and granite (the most common igneous intrusive) can have cassiterite, which gets you bronze. Both often have galena if you want silver for blunt weapons.
You stand a better chance of finding iron and steel fixins in sedimentary layers, but military-grade metals aren't very rare in other kinds of stone layer except metamorphic, which can only have galena.
>>
>>159405960
I have had rivers that unfroze one year, then remained frozen for several years, and then froze again.

My favorite was actually a waterfall of 10 z-levels, and the low-ground river would freeze during the winter. This ice would cause a build up of water as a natural dam, expanding the ice wall until a lake would form between the mountain said and the large ice dam for 7 months of the year. One year came and after the initial low-ground freeze, the entire river froze, and nothing unfroze until years later.

Another time I embarked upon a glacier. I dug down into the ice to build my fort and find some rock. Two summers in, suddenly the whole glacier melts, slicing my standing rectangular fortress into two, diagonally from the two farthest corners. The falling dwarves and buildings crashed into the water below. Most died instantly, everybody else drowned later. In the lowest levels I had a food stockpile in the rock, a lone dwarf remained trapped beneath the freezing waters. With food and drink and a single cat, but no pick, no stone, and no escape, I left wondering what to do.

Sorry it wasn't supposed to be story time. Basically what I'm saying is that temperature changes can happen suddenly and I've had experience where they change from year to year.
>>
>>159406142
you are extremely lucky if you find the components for steel on the same embark as a volcano.
>>
>>159406602
You didn't say steel, you said serviceable metals.
Regardless, hematite in obsidian, rhyolite or andesite layers isn't terribly uncommon, and I can't remember the last time I saw an embark thay didn't have at least some marble. All you're missing is coal, which can be replaced by wood. You're not going to be tripping over iron ores on most volcanos like you would on many sedimentary embarks, but it's certainly not rare to find enough for a modest steel industry.
>>
>>159393730
Nigga
First off, try not to mix terminology. [b]uild and [d]esignate operate on different rules.
All designations work on a two-point rectangle method.
You double tap enter because you need to set both corners of the rectangle. Do you not remember setting mining designations for a hallway or room? It's in the same menu. It works the same way.
>>
File: onionroast.png (2KB, 616x66px) Image search: [Google]
onionroast.png
2KB, 616x66px
>>159406142
If I'm not mistaken, malachite, which is a copper ore, can be found in marble, which is a metamorphic stone.
>>
>>159378458
I like these ideas. I will try and hopefully not flood my fort
>>
Is there any reason why my haulers have 'No Job' when there's a shitton of stone, clothes, dead bodies and wood lying in my fort?
>>
>>159409021
Are your current stockpiles full? Try dumping what you want moved then reclaim it.
>>
File: lead_960.jpg (278KB, 960x640px) Image search: [Google]
lead_960.jpg
278KB, 960x640px
Idea:

Every time a creature walks over a prone creature, there should be a risk that the prone creature gets trampled. The damage caused should depend on the size of both creatures. For example, if the prone creature is larger than the standing creature, there will be less damage, or even no damage at all. If the prone creature is smaller, the damage will be greater.

This will encourage players to dig out wider corridors and assign multiple temples and taverns, in order to prevent deadly stampedes.

I will also encourage players to separate livestock from gatherings of people, and possibly also keep people out of livestock enclosures, unless they have business there.
>>
>>159409349
Most of them are full, but I have one big stockpile that allows pretty much everything that serves as a buffer and it's almost empty. They are dumping the items, but they aren't hauling them once I reclaim them.
>>
>>159406142
>metamorphic
Marble can have malachite.
>>
>>159409359
Not a bad idea, actually. It would certainly give our doctors some training or at least avoid rust.
>>
>>159409989
check the settings of the stockpile. it might be set to only take things from certain locations rather than anywhere.
>>
>>159409989
this is the most common kind of question and honestly there are a ton of reasons why they aren't.
>Labor enabled
>[O]rders settings
>burrow restrictions
>forbidden items
>stockpile settings, tons and tons of things here
>pathing, both to the item and to the stockpile

and more, those are just off the top of my head. I've been playing for years and just recently I couldn't understand why my dwarves were ignoring everything but the meat from my butcher shop, no matter what kind of bone stockpile I had they just wouldn't store the bones for the inevitable moody dwarf.

turns out I had forgotten about the [o]rders [r]efuse [o]"dwarves ignore refuse from outside", I had channeled a 1 tile skylight over the butchershop much earlier to prevent miasma if the butchershop was ever overloaded.
>>
File: haulers not working.jpg (823KB, 1719x1272px) Image search: [Google]
haulers not working.jpg
823KB, 1719x1272px
>>159410451
Here's my stockpile settings and some other shit.

>>159410562
The labors are enabled, everything seems in order (heh), there are no restrictions set, no forbidden items, the stockpile accepts everything except for refuse and corpses, pathing seems fine, because SOME haulers actually do their job.

Everything worked just fine until some titan attacked and killed half of my population. But all of the haulers feel fine and it's been like a year now since that happened.

Thanks for the help tho.
>>
>>159410290
That's my new rockfu
>>
>>159411771
it's a mineral
>>
>>159410891
>w: Max wheelbarrow - 1
there's your problem. I told you there are a ton of reasons why this stuff happens.

Once that number is not 0, the stockpile will only collect via a wheelbarrow haul job(different from a normal haul job in that he'll have a plan to pick up the wheelbarrow, then pick up multiple items, then return, instead of just going to an item and bringing it to the stockpile by hand), limited by the number of wheelbarrows assigned.

Therefore, with only 1 wheelbarrow, there's only 1 dwarf performing a stockpile collection haul for that stockpile at a time, each time with a wheelbarrow.

btw herbleglerble is improving, slowly, only had a little bit of time to play.
>>
>>159410891
have you tried making a fortress that doesn't have retarded stockpile systems
>>
>>159411875
Thanks man, that's probably it.

>>159411954
pls
>>
>>159360601
I usually allow them to use whatever. I haven't really had much trouble with sieges in the newest version, so I like the fact that they choose their own weapons. Adds flavor.
>>
>>159411954
hay man, don't knock
well managed stockpiles are good stuff, specifically for controlling workshop material usage.
EX: I want dimple dye from my dimple cups but I don't want to mill my cave wheat into dwarven wheat flour, I want that turned into beer only. There's no way to assign material modifiers on MILL PLANT jobs, but by creating a dimple cup stockpile and a cloth bag stockpile and link them to give to the quern, I can make it happen.

If I didn't always abuse quantum stockpiles, minecarts, and the fact that workshops hold a ton of stuff without the need of bins/barrels in a 3x3 area and that works perfectly well enough with high throughput, I'd be using a stockpile system just like his, probably.
>>
>>159412147
this game has dyes and flour??? why would you ever need them anyway? does it make furnace operators melt shit faster? or maybe increases armorsmith's chance to craft masterwork items? why the fuck would you need them??
>>
>mead has beverage value of 1, the lowest next to sewer brew and swamp whiskey
>mead arguably takes the most work

well mead does suck, but still
>>
File: img000033.png (996KB, 1685x2500px) Image search: [Google]
img000033.png
996KB, 1685x2500px
>>159412356
>not going full dwarven masterchef
>making the most fantastic meals out of everything and anything
>>
>>159412356
http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2014:Dye

Purely aesthetic. Can you tolerate that the game has features not directly involved in making the metal industry's output as effective as possible? Calm down, it's okay to have comfy things that just look good.
>>
File: italians look at your post.jpg (226KB, 1273x1024px) Image search: [Google]
italians look at your post.jpg
226KB, 1273x1024px
>>159412356
>he doesn't dye cloth
>>
File: www.png (76KB, 821x707px) Image search: [Google]
www.png
76KB, 821x707px
>>159412619
I don't even use kitchens, I just buy leaves from the caravans and feed them directly. dwarves don't care.
>>159412646
this is what my fort looks like. do you think I care about useless aesthetics?
>>159412747
why does italian language sound like a guy who's trying to lure someone into a van and rape him?
>>
>>159412356
I enjoy having tens of thousands worth of dwarf bucks being worn just in non-adamantine clothing. Masterfully died anything adds 240 dwarfbucks.
>>
>>159412863
playing DF must feel so rewarding for you
>>
plump
>>
>>159413569
this is what happens when you realize that nothing in dwarf fortress matters except making steel armor
>>
>>159409359
problem of this is that space in tiles will get reworked eventually. Its the same as the guy that wanted a details menu on kitchens, when they are just a placeholder for future updates
I actually like it, dont get me wrong, it syncs really good with the whole mountainering and tumbling that two anons posted a while back
It would be really good to trip over stuff in the ground too, but it must be well thought in general for it to work
>>
>>159414002
>Urist, what is best in life?
>To smelt your iron ores, see the flux stone before you, and hear the lamentations of the elven.
>>
>>159414364
>irons ores
>flux stone
I think you mean the steel leggings and giant axe blades.
>>
>>159412560
>mead does suck
end yourself, you tasteless mofo
>>159412356
Placeholder for future actual cooking
>>159412863
Cant you really answer yourself about the italians?
>>
>>159414450
(It didn't work with the quote as well, I needed to match the cadence of "enemies" and "them driven", hence "iron ores" and "the flux stone" with the implication that the elves lament is due to lots of charcoal production)
>>
File: 1470775616979.jpg (63KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
1470775616979.jpg
63KB, 500x500px
>>159355865
I just started one game in adventure mod as human and whole hamlet started massacring goblin/dorf/elf bards that were present there. Is it normal interaction between humans and other races?
>>
>>159415068
also just noticed that soldiers started to hunt down all bards(regardless of race) that escaped hamlet and finishing them off
>>
>>159415068
Placeholder for future actual-prejuice-based racism
Theres a fixed chance that each race will start pogroms against other races each year, you just happened to face one
>>
File: Balance nigga you need balance.png (15KB, 444x284px) Image search: [Google]
Balance nigga you need balance.png
15KB, 444x284px
>>159412356
Dyeing clothes does technically make most working dwarves work faster and the like because it boosts the value of the item which boosts the mood of the dwarf and higher morale results in higher productivity. Flour and syrup and such are mostly only good for trade or as something else to toss into kitchen foods because prepared meals also give huge morale boosts. Yes, raw leaves and plump helmets aren't going to hurt morale, but they're not going to boost it.
Function without form is becoming of ogres and trolls, form without function is becoming of elves, a balance of form and function is worthy of being called dwarven. Humans and goblins envy what is dwarven-made because they too value form and function, but aren't nearly as gifted at accomplishing the balance. From the sounds of things, you're more suited to caring for ogres than taskmaster of dwarves.
>>
>>159415869
I'd be glad to play as a race of actually intelligent creatures who don't run away in fear when they see a fucking parrot
>>
File: top10animefights.png (79KB, 472x831px) Image search: [Google]
top10animefights.png
79KB, 472x831px
>>
>>159418178
What is Yare Yare Daze?
>>
>go to save game
>as soon as I press save the game crashes
>lose 30 minutes of intensive work, not idling

Fuck this shit, I'm gonna go play Rimworld.
>>
>>159418313
Anime reference that only cool kids will understand.
>>
>>159418178
some things characters say during battle are really anime tier banter

real time dialogues were a success
>>
>>159418313
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yWDAw2nsIjw
>>
>>159418947
Sorry I don't watch mangas.
>>
>>159418737
eh, they are pretty good, but I would like that you could talk and do stuff at the same time
But I mean the same about doing multi-atacks at the same time, so I dunno
You know, yo choose what you wanna say, and while you atack, you automatically comment.
That's why you cant talk in most close-combat fights
>>
>>159415869
Inaccurate.
Wearing a valuable item only boosts a dwarf's mood once when they put it on the first time, and then only for dwarves who personally value extravagance. Afterwards there's no mood effect from worn items until they start to become XXworn itemsXX.
Food only gives a happy thought if it's a preferred food, no matter its value. Otherwise it gives no thought at all until a dwarf has gone too long without a preferred food, after which they get an effectively permanent negative focus modifier and recurring negative thoughts.
>>
>>159420997
I agree. This seems to be the case for the NPCs. They always seem to move/attack and talk at the same time. It's pretty strange that the PC can't do it.
>>
>>159420997
>doing multi-atacks at the same time
You actually can do that, although it hurts your hit chance.
>>
>>159418316
for whatever reason, I can never "quit" my game. I can save and go to menu, but when I quit out of the client, it freezes and I have to force close it.

This game is a solo project by a turbo autist. It's going to have issues
>>
File: but who wuz slavez.jpg (298KB, 1600x900px) Image search: [Google]
but who wuz slavez.jpg
298KB, 1600x900px
How can the humans possibly have built the monumental outdoor tombs, when they themselves live in earthern floored wood houses?
>>
>>159421335
Yeah, all the actions time needs a rehaul
When the conversation/psychology arc hits, I want to be able to maintain a deep conversation with a chick while we walk around the beach, and thats pretty hard to my roleplay If I have to stop and say a complete phrase each time I wanna say something
If you want a less gay example, Imagine giving orthers to your brother in arms while you both ride horses, escaping from some bandits. If you want to talk and you are sprinting, you stay completely still to say so, which is stupid
>>159424523
The gods will it
>>
File: 1478175583995.png (178KB, 391x306px) Image search: [Google]
1478175583995.png
178KB, 391x306px
Two questions for the lot of you:

>Which are your three favourite tilesets?

>Which three tilesets do you hate the most?
>>
>>159426581
I have only used Obsidian since I started playing DF
>>
>>159424523
Not sure if serious...
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Egyptian_pyramid_construction_techniques
>>
File: Ancient-Aliens.jpg (946KB, 2560x1600px) Image search: [Google]
Ancient-Aliens.jpg
946KB, 2560x1600px
>>159428134
>believing the j****h lies
>>
>>159426581
taffer without pissfilter
>>
>>159426581
Obsidian and Spacefox

Phobeus and Ironhand.
>>
>>159426581
I don't use tile sets because I'm not casual filth
>>
>>159429907
You're a big guy
>>
>>159426581
>Favorite
>Taffer
>Wanderlust
>Spacefox

Don't remember the ones I hate
>>
>>159429907
Damn I wish I was that cool.
>>
>>159429907
r u a linux user

Because, IIRC, that's the only way to play in text mode. Otherwise, you're using a tileset.
>>
>>159431063
Nah, you can use a terminal emulator on just about any OS. Maybe not on mobile OSs (I don't know how that would even work), but I haven't looked.
>>
>>159426581
Taffer, Myne, Duerer

Phoebus, Ironhand, Spacefox
Also, special mention for Meph's new indecipherable shitshow
>>
>>159426581
Dungeon, Spacefox

Obsidian, Ironhand
>>
>>159426581
>not using the original ASCII you scrub
>>
>>159433129
>calls others scrub
>doesn't use correct terminology
>>
>>159433398
>not knowing what ASCII is
>>
>>159433902
>not knowing that it's not ASCII but IBM CP437
>>
File: mtstupid.png (28KB, 949x516px) Image search: [Google]
mtstupid.png
28KB, 949x516px
>>159433902
>>159433129
>>
>>159426581
Phoebus

I've only used Phoebus
>>
File: well well well.jpg (18KB, 377x260px) Image search: [Google]
well well well.jpg
18KB, 377x260px
note: putting a well in a training room is not a good idea
>>
>>159426581
>Which are your three favourite tilesets?
Any with square ASCII
Which three tilesets do you hate the most?
Rectangular ASCII
>>
How does an artifact copper warhammer compare to, say, a silver one of medium quality?
>>
>>159435034
I ask this as someone who never bitches about nor derides others for their cosmetic choices:
Why in Armok's name would you use that optical abortion of a tileset? What tileset is that, even? I mean, fuck, I've seen some ugly graphics, but that one really takes the *cat tallow biscuit*.
>>
File: ppap.png (123KB, 785x757px) Image search: [Google]
ppap.png
123KB, 785x757px
>>159435816
>Which three tilesets do you hate the most?
>Rectangular ASCII
I want to punch your lights out, squarefag.
>>
File: image.jpg (2MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
2MB, 4032x3024px
I dont see the option to carve bones in adventure mode i have a large copper dagger in my left hand and horse bones in my right how do i carve
>>
File: IMG_7461.jpg (2MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_7461.jpg
2MB, 4032x3024px
I dont see the option to carve bones in adventure mode i have a large copper dagger in my left hand and horse bones in my right how do i carve. Is there a button i need to press from this screen?
>>
File: vector_square24x36.png (33KB, 384x576px) Image search: [Google]
vector_square24x36.png
33KB, 384x576px
>>159433129
>using the original curses instead of the hq ones like a newfag
It's like you hate your eyes.
>>
>>159439363
first clean your monitor
>>
File: header.jpg (44KB, 460x215px) Image search: [Google]
header.jpg
44KB, 460x215px
Why aren't you fags playing an objectively superior game?
>>
>>159441158
I know this is bait but
>no adventure mode
>no history gen
>superior
>>
File: 3cb.gif (564KB, 800x430px) Image search: [Google]
3cb.gif
564KB, 800x430px
>>159441158
>no world simulation
>2d world
>no adv mode
>no 4chan general
>>
When can we be expected to actually fight armies in adventure mode?
>>
>>159441158
Rimworld does a lot of things better, including the user interface and arguably combat but at the core it's nothing but a Sims simulation in which you have to manage a bunch of retarded drama-queens.

It feels like playing Tamagochi for grown-ups.

At least Dwarfs aren't gigantic needy faggots.
>>
File: 1375152772175.jpg (398KB, 1680x1050px) Image search: [Google]
1375152772175.jpg
398KB, 1680x1050px
Haven't played since 2014, do all the utilities/tilesets in the starter pack work with the newest version of the game?
>>
>>159443119
the most current version is 43.05, but the latest LNP is 43.03

>>159442458
>dwarves aren't needy
>>
>>159443293
Dwarfs don't go insane because they sleep in a 10C room with a wool parka on.

Dwarfs don't go outside during a cold snap night stripping themselves because they keep they're fags who keep hitting on a straight dude.

etc etc etc
>>
>>159430960
You could be, just stop using tilesets and read the matrix
>>
Does anyone ITT use workflow? Does anyone know the amount of limits I can have queued before my game crashes?

I'm on 43.03 and installed the 4gb client patch but it hasn't helped for crashing
>>
>>159443848
But my mom doesn't let me
>>
>>159442458
>you have to manage a bunch of retarded drama-queens.

This is what made me stop playing. I don't play DF for the mood micro management.

And fuck the lack of means to produce or farm something as essential as steel. Everything in the game revolves around Steel and Components and the only way to get enough is to wait for the RNG drops and RNG merchants. It's really frustrating.
>>
>>159443854
bump for halp
>>
Why do wars never seem to happen after the first 20 years of playing a world?
>>
>>159441158
I've played it for two hours. There's no reason to continue playing as I've already experienced all it has to offer
>>
File: This ain't jigglen.jpg (51KB, 423x422px) Image search: [Google]
This ain't jigglen.jpg
51KB, 423x422px
>embark!
>giant kea drags 4/7 dwarves into the trees
fuck birds for life
>>
File: ngga pls.png (95KB, 240x217px) Image search: [Google]
ngga pls.png
95KB, 240x217px
>>159448434
>giant keas
When the multitile creature and moving fortress parts update hits, we'll see them steal entire buildings.
>>
>>159449174
stairs won't get me out of that jam
>>
File: kea-andrew-walmsley-1200.jpg (165KB, 1200x783px) Image search: [Google]
kea-andrew-walmsley-1200.jpg
165KB, 1200x783px
>>159448434
Forget giant elephants, GCS, FBs, and clowns, these little assholes are literally the worst creature in the game.
>>
File: 1374823550943.jpg (66KB, 1023x662px) Image search: [Google]
1374823550943.jpg
66KB, 1023x662px
>>159449174
we need to think bigger
>>
>>159450223
Well, the myth release has confirmed giant creatures that turn into continents when they die. Maybe some distant release arc actually adds entire continents made up by living creatures.
>>
File: Screenshot (108).png (14KB, 1915x1025px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot (108).png
14KB, 1915x1025px
>This is the third bone weapon artifact made at my fort.
>>
F*ck the sheriff!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fBdvRCkCNfo
>>
>>159452204
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HypeAxE3s_o
>that part where they kick the bottles
>>
>>159435864
It's worse because quality doesn't matter for blunt attacks and warhammers have exclusively blunt attacks.
>>
>>159451035
delete your bones
>>
>>159446562
Use the latest version of DF. It has a new manager system similar to workflow and it is 64bit so no 4gb patch required.
>>
How can I use DFhack to find the specific location of someone in a site, if that's possible? They aren't showing up in the list of people I can ask about, even though my character has heard their name multiple times.
>>
>>159456025
thanks
>>
Animal caretakers when.
>>
>>159273154

i totally missed that reply from the last thread! it was an interesting talk about fps.

anyway, i'm not trying to argue that hundres of dwarves aren't an fps hit, i just think thousands of items with varying lists of information associated are the bigger problem. i actually always thought that because dwarf fortress' fps scale with pretty much only memory speed it was a clear indicator of that, but there's actually no reason why pathing wouldn't use a lot of memory too. i remember toady said there are a lot of huge optimizations needed/possible for pathfinding that he hasn't done yet, and also that there are a bunch of optimizations are already in place, and one of them seems to be some sort of caching of pathfinding calculations, which i guess isn't surprising at all, but it hadn't occured to me that pathfinding could hammer fps. i've only read about it in vague forum posts so i can't adequately describe it, but basically df saves routes instead of continously calculating them anew, which i guess isn't surprising at all, but it does explain a few things like the old bug about fps dropping drastically when you channel out the ground level of your embark, or the huge fps drop with the clowncar, or migrants having to path in. i don't have good understanding how dwarf fortress was built at all, but it's been conveyed to me that df's design naturally leads to it accessing the cache pretty much constantly, that being the bottle neck, and the way it utilizes hardware seems to support that. i guess i actually assumed it was a piece of actual community information, like something checked it out with a debugger or something, but i don't see why it wouldn't be true.
>>
>>159441970
2/4 m8

>>159450223
I even asked Toady about multi-tile creatures in the FoF thread of this month, but he remained a bit reticent
he even told me '' we are not aiming for modeling in the game'' when I asked him if big enough normal creatures would ocupy various tiles, with a single body part being separated in several tiles
>>159459309
You have better chances to be happy if you wish for boats instead
>>
>>159460334
the thing all the fps-death-forts seem to have in common isn't a large population, it's just a long lifespan with lots of trading and items of things. i feel like having 500 dwarves with a central 3x3 staircase through all open caverns with >10fps directly clashes with the pathfinding meme, like it just comes from the initial uncached pathing as well as large designations eating fps. i had very stable fps after the last migrants arrived, even after mining out and revealing a whole lot more tiles, but while the designations where in place it was super slow, much much slower than the equivalent in hauling jobs or station orders. but i don't conceptually understand how a few more units walking known paths/routes could ever impact fps more than a constantly-referenced list of items exceeding the size of cpu cache and memory registers, but i'd like to know more.
>>
When will Golem Crafting be introduced?

seems rather dorfish and stoney
>>
>>159461175
Masterwork has it I think.
>>
are toads vermin? i have a lot of giant toads and i want to tame and pasture them among the waterfalls of my fortress, where all the dwarves walk through. are they gonna be disgusted by all the giant vermin or wiill they be cool with it?
>>
>>159461279

No way

Guess im trying MW for the first time then
>>
>>159461780
Yeah you use this to get one I think. Never tried it myself but I know they're in there.

http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/Masterwork:Temple_of_Armok
>>
>>159461610

Would you be happy walking past a waterfall filled with giant man eating toads that can jump 20 feet and swallow a man whole

trained by a self declared beast trainer who spend the majority of his time getting drunk and moody
>>
>Masterwork adds a weapon called the Javelin Thrower.
>Its basically a crossbow but for spears.

It'll probably be really OP but I want one.
>>
File: gender.jpg (11KB, 259x39px) Image search: [Google]
gender.jpg
11KB, 259x39px
Using Obsidian. Which one of these is male?
>>
>>159466073
amulet is female, bag is male. If you forget it again in the future, check out
http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2014:Tilesets

and search for male/female, then check what other meanings those tiles have.
Or enable True Type with F12
>>
>>159462072
>masterwork has it's own articles on the wiki
what the fuck is this bullshit?
>>
>>159467515
Pretty much every major mod does.
>>
do livestock still inbreed?
>>
>>159468162
I hope so
>>
>>159461175
It more human-like considering it's Jew folklore and the its made out of clay. That'd be a cool feature though.

Maybe with the magic update?
>>
>>159355865

How hard is it to get into this? Downloading right now because I heard that mothers may randomly beat their children to death and that got me curious as to how much shit you can do in this game.

What's the gameplay even like?
>>
Why can't I save templates for adventurer creation?

T o a d y w h e n
>>
File: simpsons screenshot.jpg (18KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
simpsons screenshot.jpg
18KB, 480x360px
>all 4 of my companions cripple each other in a drunken brawl instead of helping me build my sweet desert tavern
>>
>>159472903
u control dorfs

u make fort

or

u are adventurer

u adventure
>>
>>159473689
How do you even make booze/food in adventure mode?
>>
>>159475149

Instructions unclear, got dick stuck in own ass.
>>
>>159472903
If you're stupid or lazy then it's pretty hard to ert into. If you're even moderately clever and read the wiki it's easy. I haven't seen a mother beat her own baby to death in years, things like that were usually the result of a buggy unintentional loss condition.
There are two playable game modes. One is primarily a city building/resource management game, the other is primarily a roguelike exploration game. Those descriptions are both gross oversimplifications, but you'll figure it out.

Pic related is kinda true, but mostly a meme. Unless you're dumb and lazy.
>>
>>159472903
>>159476036
Oh, and the UI will make you want to shoot yourself in the mouth. Twice. It's not so bad once you get used to it, though. Ignore anyone who insists that you need 3rd party utilities to play, they're suggesting that you hobble yourself before you've even learned to walk. There's nothing wrong with using labor managers and such, but if you're going to you should at least know why you're using them, and be able to play without them so that you aren't lagging behind updates.
>>
>>159472903
It's not playable if you just download the vanilla game and launch it.

This is the video you need to watch first: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fXSwxQYrSB0

It should be in the OP to be honest.
>>
Has anyone else encountered that bug where creatures with [NOEXERT] get tired while training in Fortress mode and can never not be tired from that moment forward? Or did I just fuck something up in the raws?
>>
>>159476036
>tfw dumb and lazy
>tfw I'll never play fortress mode
>>
>>159477530
please leave this thread and then kill yourself immediately
>>
>>159477530
>I am a retard, please fuck my mouth
LNP is a bad, bad meme.
>>
>>159478519
>>159479093
Wow you guys are so cool and hardcore, I wish I was part of that secret club of hardcore gamers.
>>
>>159479342
Ignore them, they're faggots
>>
>>159479342
no you're just straight up retarded
>>
File: 1476218132085.png (197KB, 371x439px) Image search: [Google]
1476218132085.png
197KB, 371x439px
>it's an "arguing about tilesets" episode
>>
>>159476775

Having a blast, spawned in with my demigod goblin, saw a human dancer, stabbed him in the neck and head, then made him a triple paraplegic before he bled to death.

So, will the local law enforcement kick my ass now or can I hide the body?
>>
>>159472051
Tolkien dwarves are literally based on Jews, so of course the golems should be for dwarves.
>>
>>159479342
step 1: download the latest version on Bay12
step 2: click Dwarf Fortress.exe

Wow, if only there was a simple 2 step process to join that secret club of harcore gamers.
>>
>>159480093
Unless they saw it, no.
>>
>>159481932

Nice, he dropped some gold, silver and copper coins, but I could only pocket the copper ones, he insists on holding the gold and silver in one hand each, I have room in my inventory for it. But how do I make him put it in his inventory?
>>
>>159480093
Soldiers loyal to the ruling faction of wherever you spawned MIGHT identify you as a criminal and start a fight, but they usually won't. You can hide the body, a corpse is an item like anything else. If no one sees it and you don't tell anyone you killed the dancer, then rumors related to it won't spread and you won't gain a reputation as a murderer. How much information npcs get from seeing a corpse is kind of fuzzy; just seeing might let them know that you were the killer, or at least enable them to tell stories about the event that will spread the information that you were the killer even if they didn't know that before they told the story. Information transfer, faction hostility, and reputation are all works in progress and behave oddly sometimes.

/dfg/ has a regular poster usually called tileset anon (on account of the distinctive self-made tileset he plays with) who plays adv mode almost exclusively and is as close as we have to an expert on the minutiae of reputation and information exchange. Hopefully he'll see these posts and give a better answer to your questions.
>>
>>159482746
>plays adv mode almost exclusively

I was wondering if other people did this.
>>
>>159482110
(p)ut it in a container. Use this:
http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2014:Adventure_mode_quick_reference
>>
>>159476775
What third party programs are you talking about? I understand that for some games relying on 3rd party stuff will lead to some people never learning the fundamentals, but I can't think of anything like that for dwarf fortress.
>>
>>159483289
Really just dwarf the rapist/manipulator. I guess legends viewer kind of counts too, but not being able to navigate legends isn't likely to be much of a barrier the way being unable to manage your dwarves' labors is.
>>
>>159483064

Thanks, this game is a lot of fun, intense fights and everything, I might like it!
>>
>>159483715
therapist would lead to 5 seconds of google to figure out vpl.
>>
>>159483921
And yet after each update we're inundated with days, weeks, or months of "THERAPIST WHEN" posts and people lamenting that they can't play without it. Every other thread there's an autistic shitfit of people arguing about whether it's necessary to play with more than x number of dwarves, or whether an anon whose never played without should have recommended it to a new player, etc. There are people in this thread right now who refuse to update DF until the rapist is updated.
>>
>>159484871
There's a difference between not knowing how and not wanting to play the game with the shitty default labor interface. This is like saying you should sleep under a bridge because once you sleep in a house you won't want to go back to being homeless.
>>
>>159483715
Dwarf labors aren't hard to learn, they're just fucking tedious to go through.
>>
>>159485172
Sure there's a difference. I'm mostly talking about people of the former variety, though people of the latter variety are scrubs who should improve.
>>
>>159485172
There is a dfhack version functional enough to use the manipulator interface which is in-game and doesn't have stupid sideways text.
>>
>>159486627
That's what I use, it's also updated to the current version. However, I wouldn't bother updating until one of those did too unless it was a truly significant update.
>>159486546
>having self esteem issues
>>
>>159486546
Eh, roughing it is fun from time to time but having an enclosed home is quite nice when the weather is bad.
>>
>>159484871
DF is unplayable without therapist. It should be part of the game.
>>
File: 8 Felsite 113 was a good day.png (12KB, 1106x129px) Image search: [Google]
8 Felsite 113 was a good day.png
12KB, 1106x129px
>>
Can I spawn a backback with DFhack?
>>
File: microcline is the superior ham.jpg (70KB, 664x728px) Image search: [Google]
microcline is the superior ham.jpg
70KB, 664x728px
>>159488432
Don't be the meme, anon.
>>
>>159408643
Post progress.
>>
elkposter, finish the quest.
I've been edging for like 3 days now.
>>
>>
File: 1469653897506.gif (80KB, 350x263px) Image search: [Google]
1469653897506.gif
80KB, 350x263px
>mod adds 30+ creatures
>no documentation or just lists the names so you have to open up the raws every time you see a new creature to asses it's threat level
fucking shit is it so hard to tell people what your shitty mod does?
>>
File: toppling.png (4KB, 594x304px) Image search: [Google]
toppling.png
4KB, 594x304px
Does a temple have to be dedicated to a particular god for toppling statues in it to do anything?
>>
I'm almost done with the first year of my fort.

I have 20 dorfs, 10 full suits of steel mail, 5 steel axes and 5 silver hammers, an airlock, trade depot, 2 wells, a reservoir, 5 farms, and 20 beds and a ton of food and drinks.

who wants to play my fort in legacy?
>>
Can you only become a hearthperson once you earn a title?
>>
>>159498674
The two things aren't related.
>>
Does anyone here actually catch wild animals with cage traps?
>>
>>159498970
Oh, huh. For some reason the option to be a "lieutenant" doesn't show up for me, but it has before.
>>
>>159499556
Not personally, but someone last thread talked about catching crundles and elkbirds.
>>
>>159500651
>"lieutenant"
That's just for bandits.
>>
So I disabled autolabor because I needed (my starting 7) dwarves to do more work, but now I get console spammed about my animals being too injured to fish. What the hell is wrong?
>>
>>159503765
dunno

I actually use the newest dfhack's Labormanager for the first year. I noticed it performs better at getting jobs down quickly. I switch to autolaborer later because it allows me to isolate certain industries with quality craftsmanship as skilled dwarves and room for excess starts to emerge. In the end I eventually bunker up dwarves to their own sector with burrows until nothing but a small group of hauler dwarves are left to autolabor.
>>
File: animals.png (79KB, 2371x1080px) Image search: [Google]
animals.png
79KB, 2371x1080px
>>159499556
Yeah.
>>
>>159504170
how do you know which one square theyre gonna step on? Do you place a giant line of traps or something?
>>
File: animals 2.png (84KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
animals 2.png
84KB, 1920x1080px
>>159504170
More than I can dispose of in any reasonable manner.
>>
>>159503438
Must have been a bug then. Odd.
>>
File: just the first page.png (82KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
just the first page.png
82KB, 1920x1080px
>>159504301
But I've done a whole lot worse.

>>159504245
Just use natural chokepoints (tree lines, water features, etc). Pay attention to where creatures enter the map and where they're likely to wander, and use rows instead of single traps. For caverns that's even easier because there are tons of natural choke points, and you can catch a lot of creatures just by cage trapping your cavern entrance. You can use cheap furniture to bait building destroyers.
>>
>>159504245
Not him, but more or less. Making chokepoints with walls helps the odds, but you can still get the frustrating times where the first cave dragon you've seen in years wanders around the edge of the map for the better part of an in-game year before wandering away again.
>>
My legacy fort thread is up and running on Bay12 Forums

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=161410.msg7251036#msg7251036
>>
>>159504860
It's called a succession fort, not a legacy fort.
>>
>>159506329
I'll call it whatever I damn well please.
>>
>>159506484
Everyone is laughing at you.
>>
>>159506853
Everyone except your mom, whos too busy choking on my dick.
>>
>>159507017
Sick burn brah. Tell her I said hello.
>>
>>159507629
shes too busy being spitroasted by neegaroni
>>
All right so the ruler of my town just made me a lieutenant, which doesn't make sense since that's a bandit ranking. So I guess this town is ruled by an organized mafia then? Or its a bug.
>>
>>159509136
Means there are criminals in charge of the town, yes.
>>
>>159509173
Oh geeze I guess I stumbled into quite the predicament then.
>>
>>159509282

Fortunately, there's an easy way to get out of it: kill'em all!
>>
>>159510136
But I already like killed several people because I thought they were the bandits and they told me too. I think I'm too far in to back out now plus it'd be impolite.
>>
>>159510442

So, you just have to kill a whole lotta bandits for the good townsfolk to forgive you ...

Go forth, my son, and enjoy the righteous slaughter of the wicked and immoral, for the greater glory of our lord and saviour, Armok.
>>
Two questions:
1. How do I prioritize butchering a forgotten beast?
2. Is there a way to let dwarves automatically resume suspended tasks once the problem why it was suspended is resolved? I'm trying to build a large tower and it's getting kinda annoying to manually un-suspend every second floor tile or wall.
>>
>>159511256
for forgotten beasts I just build a new butcher workshop next to the corpse, they can be very heavy and bleed syndromes.
>>
Man, farming zombies (in Necromancer Towers) for experience is FUN! (once you get the basics, anyway)
>>
Just built my first tavern.Now the dwarves can't stop bullshiting around. Are there any advantages to taverns except for keeping dwarves occupied?
>>
>>159512267
Mercenaries and shit will show up and attempt to join your fort.
>>
>>159512267
If you have a bunch of dwarves fucking off in your tavern it's your fault. All of those green tavern activities you see in the units list are dwarves who don't have another job. If you didn't have a tavern/temple/library they would just be idle. As soon as you give them something to do they'll stop fucking off in the tavern and get to work.
Any purple jobs are dwarves satisfying their personality-based needs. Those happen when a dwarf has gone so long without doing a given activity that they've become unfocused or distracted. If a lot of your dwarves immediately took purple tavern activities then you waited way too long to make a tavern. Becoming unfocused or distracted causes dwarves to perform their jobs more poorly and become unhappy.
That's the befit of taverns, temples and libraries; they allow your dwarves to participate in activities that will improve the efficiency of your workforce and the value of your fort. They can also attract useful visitors who may petition for residence or citizenship.
>>
>>159511769

Update: after killing over 300 human & elf zombies (including various hacked-off parts), I'm now (and for the past 1/2 an hour) locked in a legendary combat with 3 unkillable heads.

Help?
Anyone?

(inb4 just walk away)
>>
>>159513978
Did you try pulping them? Grab yourself a silver maul and smash some pumpkins.
>>
>>159500651
>>159503438
>>159504536
Actually, liutentant is a position used by nomadic groups in the wilderness, as well as city criminals.

The nomadic groups can be ordinary bandits, but it's also possible for a site owning entity to lose its site and thereby also be reduced to a nomadic group. This nomadic group will retain its affiliation to the civ to which it belongs, meaning that an adventurer from that civ will be able to start as a member of that group. If you do, you have the option to become a liutenant. It's NOT a bug.
>>
>>159488432
>>159488660
Actually, it would be pretty sweet if Manipulator became part of the vanilla game. It wouldn't be out of place.
>>
>>159514719

Welp, that'll be the option for next time - since this Tower got cleared.
I just had to walk away, and come back - they dropped like flies.
>>
>>159512267
>Now the dwarves can't stop bullshiting around
No you mong

Unless their activities are purple, they're only there because you didn't give them any work. Dwarves with green activities will abandon the tavern immediately when a job comes up.

Where the fuck did this meme come from?
>>
Is there any reason to deny petitions of residence in your tavern? I've lost count of how many I've accepted and I stopped reading them for a while because there were so many. The tavern is rammed full of human bards/poets and the library is full of humans discussing muscles. I seem to have several human and goblin bowman hanging around too in my military.
>>
>>159516903
I'm very jealous. I never get visitors. My tavern has a 6x8 dance area, 10 instruments worth over 2000 dwarfbucks apiece, the whole thing is made out of engraved silver and clear glass windows decorated with silver and gems and all the meals are steak beer and cheese. And there's a watefall at the entrance just for extra kick.

I really don't get what it takes to draw anybody in.
>>
>that feel when your ambush room works perfectly and your pick dwarves and hammerlords bring down a bronze colossus in the third year

It's a large square room lined with windows. Each dwarven squad trains behind the windows. There is a winding 1 tile path through a series of statues in the room. The squads see anything that comes through the room through the windows and rush out to face the enemy, coming down from ramps all throughout the winding path, entrapping the enemy.
>>
>>159517670
>no screenshot
Come on!
>>
ok, writing a suggestion based on relationships between sentients but Im stuck
Would you say that any relationship can be grounded in:

>General opinion
>Trust
>Respect
>Fondness(emotional implication)
>Atraction(desire)

Am I missing something? All relationships, from lovers to mother and son, to death swron enemies enter this in this division, right?
pls respond, or Im gonna stop be inspired to write
>>
2H weapons are still broken?
>>
File: Tavern&Library - Goldmachine.png (14KB, 915x362px) Image search: [Google]
Tavern&Library - Goldmachine.png
14KB, 915x362px
>>159517289
I have no idea how I've managed to get visitors, my fort isn't particularly wealthy but I seem to get them regularly.

Maybe its to do with the worldgen/no of civs etc?
>>
>>159517289
You should get visitors. Check if all visitors allowed to come, that should help. And dont set visitor cap too high, 10 or so will do, or youll end with hundreds of useless assholes just standing there doing nothing, killing your fps and not leaving even if you switch the tavern off an delete the area.
>>
File: here.jpg (193KB, 1280x1135px) Image search: [Google]
here.jpg
193KB, 1280x1135px
>>159517753
whoops sorry
>>
>>159362882
Warhammer if I have silver, Battle axes if I have steel or iron.

I train my hammerdwarves to also be axe dwarves in case a creature made of steel appears.
>>
>>159522120
That's nice, I like it.

>>159518245
It's not that simple. First of all, you could say that trust, respect, etc are all components of the abstract "general opinion" as you wrote.
You're also disregarding how similar/close (genetically, culturally, geographically) two sentients are, which certainly plays its part in a relationship. In fact, I would consider that the base, with the others being modifiers of that.
Fondness, again, could be said to not be a independent factor, but instead be intermingled with respect and trust. Attraction and Fondness also influence each other, and the similarity mentioned above plays a role with both (remember also incest, which is too much similarity has a repulsive effect).

Another factor then, are cultural "roles" like father/mother/elder brother and (Jungian) archetypes which can be attributed to individuals and influence a relationship ("never had a father growing up and meets a father figure later"; "relationship with someone is strained because it reminds them of their abusive mother", etc).

In the end, the important questions are

>how does including or excluding one of these factors influence gameplay?
i.e. is it really necessary to include? Does it need to be a 1:1 implementation of reality, or does the game benefit from abstraction? And how much abstraction then?
>how does it complement existing structures?
That is to say, would your model require another complete personality rewrite with minimal improvements, or woudl just adding one value and three calculations increase gameplay depth massively?
>>
>>159501875
This is the shit that sometimes makes me think dwarf fortress is a poorly designed game.

But it's good enough that I can see past it
>>
>>159526464
Its more of the second type you said
I'll explain my model to you, and the reasons I came with it so you may understand better

Some weeks ago, I decided I wanted a lot more psychological depth to the game
Not because I dont think Toady opines differently, but because I feel that's the natural direction of the game, altering all new mechanics from it
I started to think of a system that would be
>easy(relatively speaking of course) to understand
>Made sense
>Didnt need to completely rewrite the game

I just felt that, while playing an adventurer, you never really get any different experience from playing one guy to another, apart from the needs system
That grew to a lot of other things, and I've been writing about it since then
I'll worry about the techical difficulties to implement this in the future

So I came with this system of ''relationship points and relationship properties'', which is used to ground all different types of relationship between sentients and sentients, or sentients and groups, etc.
I choosed this system partly because he actual relations system is really bad, and could use a lot of bettering (fixed rates of bad thoughts when somebody dies, you cant not get along with family)
With this system, when two sentients reach certain minimum in each category, they are oficially called, friends, family, or lovers, or enemies
Family gets to that minimums of trust, fondness and opinion instantaneously, abstracting being raised, but can decrease if the two family members dont get along

In my mind, each factor is independant from each other, but go close together, allowing normal and rare relationship types to exist
(You can get along with someone, but not trust him in the slightest, but in a normal relationship, both factors would grow together)

That way, general opinion gets harder to
change as you know better the person, and all factors are independant from each other and serve as pillar points for different behaviour

1/2
>>
Recommend me some good mods for the current version, fuckbois
>>
>>159526464
I chosed general opinion as a different factor from others because it really is just that, an average from all the others, an easy way for people to have an opinion about you without having to be emotionally implied with you

In other ways, general opinion serves as a practical number to sumarize a relationship between two people, without them needing to be 'close'(having rel. points)
Its a way of saying:''Hey, you are cool, but I wouldnt really care if you died''

Each other factor Is important in their own way, and cant really be substituted for another, thats why I choosed them
Also, I tried to minimize the number of factors for the sake of practicality
Fondness may be badly worded, this Is not my first language. But I think between every person that likes each-other, or atleast have known each other for some type, they have some bond uniting them

Anyway, modifiers based on opinions (father never there, so I hate fathers) is still planed, as well as different needs, exclusive for each age is considered

If I could work longer on this, I think I could really create something that could benefit the gamein incredible ways
>>
File: toody 2.png (127KB, 242x258px) Image search: [Google]
toody 2.png
127KB, 242x258px
>We take personal requests for either reward as well, he he he.
What did he mean by this?
>>
>>159531109
When will Threetoe upload all the porn stories he has written
>>
>>159531553
Or toadys lewd crayon drawings
>>
>>159531553
IIRC Toady said that there was a pretty big upcoming Threetoe story around the corner.
>>
>>159512367
>>159512756
>>159515823
I redid the tavern and its working as you guys said. Cheers
>>
File: dfg-08.png (47KB, 642x1083px) Image search: [Google]
dfg-08.png
47KB, 642x1083px
>>
>>159537364
>not The Rapist
>>
File: in-game bote.png (543KB, 803x519px) Image search: [Google]
in-game bote.png
543KB, 803x519px
>>159356271
It has finally happened.
>>
File: in-game bote2.png (482KB, 651x498px) Image search: [Google]
in-game bote2.png
482KB, 651x498px
>>159538354
It's made out of:
>charcoal for the black parts
>chestnut wood for the floor
>kaolinite blocks for the red parts
>porcelain bricks for the white parts
>>
>>159538513
>>159538354
what a time to be alive
Im sure bote-anon will love this
>>
>>159538354

I'm new.
Is there 3D DF?

Also, completely unrelated, I just got the title "The bejeweled sack of shame" out of nowhere.
>>
>>159540050
>Is there 3D DF?
Yes. It's called Minecraft
>>
>>159540050
>>159540367
DF is 3D though.
>>
>>159540050
It's a visualizer. You make the stuff in normal DF but can then view it in 3D.
>>
Does anyone know what the status is on DFhack? Seems like it's been quite a while.
>>
File: chuckling despot.gif (2MB, 200x150px) Image search: [Google]
chuckling despot.gif
2MB, 200x150px
>>159540050
>I just got the title "The bejeweled sack of shame" out of nowhere
>>
>>159540050
Congratulations
>>
File: another term 4 u.jpg (35KB, 620x396px) Image search: [Google]
another term 4 u.jpg
35KB, 620x396px
>>159541620
>amin laughing at the holocaust
Uganda is my favourite meme country.
>>
what would happen if i assigned a troll to a metal chain?

I have a male and female troll in separate cages just now...
>>
File: bote aproves.jpg (188KB, 948x651px) Image search: [Google]
bote aproves.jpg
188KB, 948x651px
>>159538354
>>159538354
>>
File: boteposting.png (826KB, 1506x939px) Image search: [Google]
boteposting.png
826KB, 1506x939px
>>159543617
The truth about boteposter. Really makes u think huh.
>>
About to embark in a cold terrifying biome, how should I skill my dwarves?
>>
>>159545607
digging and fighting
they can learn everything else once youre underground
>>
>>159515598
OOohhh this explains a lot actually, as my queen for some reason didn't take up residence in the city's castle and just stays in her bone-carving shop. I can only assume we've reached an enlightened state of government beyond the feudal system. Perhaps a republic.
>>
>>159545857
Hammers are needed for taking out undead right?
>>
>>159545151
DELET
>>
>>159546780
They help more than dismemberment, yes.
>>
>>159545151
that was evil on many levels. Well done
>>
>>159540776
It's in (pre?)alpha already. You can download from github. It seems to be mostly functional, though just to be safe I've only used on an isolated backup save. I've got too much time invested in my fort to risk it, but if you have less to lose in the case of a catastrophe give it a go. I haven't seen any reports of anything bad happening. Outside the usual, at least.
>>
>>159549373
Just the odd crash while using it, for me.
>>
>>159549772
Yeah, par for the course, if you're using TWBT/multilevel view, workflow or autochop. If you're not using any of those I'm not sure what would be causing them, as those are the only components I know of that have been associated with crashes. Might be something new that shook out in the 64bit update.
>>
File: spoop.png (28KB, 857x381px) Image search: [Google]
spoop.png
28KB, 857x381px
>Unpause after embark
>Have hammerers beat up magpie man corpse
>Get most of my shit underground
>Skeleton comes out of nowhere and barrels for my dwarves
>>
Aren't wagons sort of multitile creatures?
>>
Does anyone know where a man could get an earlier download to that shitty DBZ mod? I have trouble implementing the new stuff and dfhack
>>
>>159545151
Boteposter is one of the most valuable and highly-prized posters on this board. How dare you slander his name. I'll see you in court, Frownfag.
>>
>>159554521
Yes
>>
File: tmp_28759-elvira-1537855790.jpg (3MB, 3000x2000px) Image search: [Google]
tmp_28759-elvira-1537855790.jpg
3MB, 3000x2000px
>>159551536
Oh man I'm totally spooked now.
>>
>Zombie ogress scratches hammerdwarf
>All his shit comes off
>She then bites his head off
>>
>>159556361
>the head reanimates and bites her back
?
>>
File: gg.png (9KB, 848x387px) Image search: [Google]
gg.png
9KB, 848x387px
>>159556735
Maybe it'll reanimate later, not sure how I'm gonna protect my migrants.
>>
>>159557096
Did she die?
>>
>>159557205
Technically.
>>
File: Screenshot (4).png (98KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot (4).png
98KB, 1920x1080px
is this a new thing? humans and elves are at war with each other so these 2 just start spitting at each other. apparently hard enough to knock one another over.
>>
I need so much furniture, i'm thinking of making 8 mason workshops instead of 4
>>
>>159558798
Just use wood. It's a shitload faster.

>but wood is for elves!
Actually chopping down trees and using it for industry is exactly what the elves oppose, it's a big middle finger to them to use wood.
>>
>>159559157
Its not actually any faster, since I have a full 100+ stone stock pile right next to them.
>>
How 2 loot sleeping humen?
>>
>>159562546
Shift-a, b, grab throat with left arm, chock, strangle, then heavy attack his neck untill it caves in
>>
lol, my military dorfs aren't wearing any pants.
>>
>>159546949
What makes hammers so usefull against undead
>>
>>159563047
It's that other weapons are bad against undead. Slicing weapons create more bodyparts for more undead enemies, piercing weapons are useless.
>>
>>159563047
1. They aren't edged. No risk of dismemberment leading to recursively propogating undead limbs
2. A new mechanic was implemented that is referred to as "pulping," which causes a bodypart to become destroyed once so much tissue damage has been caused. Blunt does this the most effectively, and thoroughly pulped entities can't be Raised.
Some statistical analysis of Arena tests show that maces have marginally better pulping performance, but the general reliability of hammers and their better ability to transfer force through armor leaves them more than viable.
>>
>>159562761

Danke
>>
>>159562546
Just wrestle the shit you want off of him if you don't want to actually hurt/kill.
>>
>>159564315

How do I do that? It just says "release X from right upper arm" or whatever, when I grab the item I want.
>>
File: doomhammer-gets-at-it.png (36KB, 1684x1010px) Image search: [Google]
doomhammer-gets-at-it.png
36KB, 1684x1010px
Urist has a biting fetish of some sort, i guess.
>>
>>159564315
>>159566424

Nvm, I grabbed it with both hands and moved away from the sleeping human, the text then read "You maintained possession of [Item]"
>>
>>159566424
move away and you get it automatically
or shift+i and select the object
>>
>>159558485
This is wonderful
>>
So after playing on the lazy newb pack for a few days I tried to switch the tile set BACK to ascii, but when I ran the game again I was missing a "curse tile" and it crashes on startup. No big deal, I downloaded the base version as posted in this general. Curious though just how vital is the therapist stuff that was in the pack and can I download it after ive started a world?
>>
>>159568502
It depends on how you feel about managing each dwarf individually through DF's UI.
>>
>>159569020
using the og tileset doesnt seem too bad, but id imagine it gets complicated. not like custom tilesets are really all that useful, most inventory and stuff is done through lists not tiles.

will people respect me more for being a badass
>>
>>159571534
It's a single player game. Nobody cares what you use until it becomes an issue.

In other words so long as you're not asking questions that are easily solved by not using utlities, or posting screenshots that are a messy vomit of sprites and colours then nobody is going care at all.
>>
File: kek.png (52KB, 647x593px) Image search: [Google]
kek.png
52KB, 647x593px
Which one of you guys was this?
>>
>>159573293
This is genius.
>>
>>159558485
Nobody got knocked over in the screenshot you posted.
>>
File: too fucking spooky.png (72KB, 1920x866px) Image search: [Google]
too fucking spooky.png
72KB, 1920x866px
FUN
>>
>>159573293
B-but DF has no ending.

Was that the joke?
>>
>>159574318
This was within 10 minutes of starting in my fortress that just got fucked up by a siege by the way.
>>
File: giant leopard.jpg (86KB, 270x360px) Image search: [Google]
giant leopard.jpg
86KB, 270x360px
>fortress at 37 pop
>only tin, no weapons
>inexperienced 2 person military of a hammerdwarf and wrestler
>eleves selling a giant lepord
>giant war leopard
>attack by werelizard soon after they depart
>giant war leopard saves the day
>>
File: ChaChing.png (150KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
ChaChing.png
150KB, 1920x1080px
My fort is HUGE.

I mean, compared to my normal forts, its pretty damn big.

I've been trying to keep my value down so I don't get sieges, since I only have 10 military dorfs, but i'm still over half a million.
>>
So new update this year maybe?
>>
>>159575969
what do you have in the way of traps and fortifications because when the goblins are fun thats makes a huge difference over military dwarfs
>>
>>159574532
Sounds like it. Sounds like it's an attention whore made shit up for attention on Twitter, and then an attention whore feminist media outlet wrote a story shilling about her girl power over a made up story.
>>
>>159576847
Its actually an edit of a different tweet, where the game in question is Bioshock Infinite.
>>
>>159576739
I've got a 3x5 airlock exit hallway to line with traps and 5 war dogs at my airlock entrance. I have 10 dorfs in full kit + greaves and plate. I don't have any crossbow dwarves but i've got the equipment for it, minus the armor.
>>
>>159569020
use dfhack
just use it
The vast majority of its tools are nothing more than major UI improvements that vanilla df should have anyway. Such as the Dwarf Manipulator - Manage Labors screen.
>>
>>159575969
>>159576739
>>159577134
I'm not even 2 years in
>>
>>159574628
what a worthwhile purchase
I absolutely despise rolling into year 2 or 3 with low pop. I only feel safe when I keep minimum 30% pop in military, 40% preferred.
>>
>>159575969
Half a million is really low for approaching 2 years. They wouldn't have attacked anyway, though, your pop is too low.
>>
File: ss+(2016-11-07+at+01.15.37).png (1011KB, 1936x1066px) Image search: [Google]
ss+(2016-11-07+at+01.15.37).png
1011KB, 1936x1066px
WHY DOES NOBODY PICK THOSE FUCKING BOLTS REEEEEE
>>
i have a fortress from 0.40.24 that i want to update to a newer release so i can build a giant library of books. but books weren't added yet in 40.24, and the reactions for making paper aren't in the raws, but i don't want to generate a new world and start a new fortress, i'm extremely attached to this one.

can it be done at all, updating the fortress to newer raws or something?
>>
File: 1391443002941.gif (2MB, 257x210px) Image search: [Google]
1391443002941.gif
2MB, 257x210px
>>159577068
that's just ...
next you're going to tell me they're both console peasants
>>
>>159579324
Unforbid them silly
>>
>>159483023
Fortress-(almost)exclusive master race
>>
>>159579739
How?
>>
>>159580554
(d)-(u) (I haven't played in years but I think it's it)
>>
>>159580554
>>159580632
[d]->[b]
>>
how can i uniform all my civilian dwarves?
>>
>>159579324
o - F - p will disable them from being forbode after being shot. However, a dwarf with a death wish could decide that the best time to collect the fired ammo is in the midst of combat, so be careful.
>>
>>159584427
>could
*will
>>
>>159583184
Make them all military.
>>
>>159585105
i have a military squad with 2 civilians, and it's the only one not set to train in the barracks or on the schedule. they're assigned the same soldier uniform as everyone else, and while everyone else is fully armored they're still wearing civilian clothes. there's a huge surplus on high quality armor though. they also don't have a weapon equipped or anything like that.

what else do i have to beside making them military?
>>
>>159585380
Are they miners, woodcutters or hunters?
http://bay12games.com/dwarves/mantisbt/view.php?id=1451
If that's not it then you've messed up somewhere.
>>
I'm setting up Dorf Archers

Can they equip shields and still use their x-bows?
Do bucklers offer any advantage over shields in this instance?
Is practice ammo/live ammo switching still bugged?
Do you still need to set each individual archery target?
Are Archery targets still bugged?
>>
>>159586079
Yes
They're lighter
Sort of
Yes
Bugged how?
>>
>>159586079
Yes.
No.
Kinda.
Yes.
What?
>>
File: untittied.jpg (253KB, 1920x1033px) Image search: [Google]
untittied.jpg
253KB, 1920x1033px
If I create floor grates across the waterfall, can dwarves walk on them while water flows through? I was looking to create a well near the mist so they all get good thoughts, maybe engrave the walls nearby
>>
>>159586460
Yes, but if any pooling happens dwarves and items can be pushed by water flow. Make sure you have adequate drainage for the volume of water falling.
>>
>>159586460
>>159586863
Oh, and grates don't provide support, so you'll need horizontal support from somewhere if you're placing them over open space.
>>
>>159587039
>>159586863
Ah I was just about to ask that, I was looking to build them like a floor. Thanks
>>
Honeybees can't live underground, right?
>>
>>159586220
>>159586278
I couldn't get my archers to equip their mail. I have it on replace clothing, the archers are inactive.
>>
>>159592560
What else are they wearing?
>>
>>159590838
You can't place hives in dark/subterranean tiles, but just exposing a tile to light once makes it light/aboveground forever. Technically, they only have to be adjacent to an aboveground tile, but the distinction rarely matters.
>>
Does anyone know a good way to get passed a magma sea that starts just passed the second level cavern?
>>
>>159592560
i guess having them set to hunter fucks them up.
>>
>>159594020
oh, and I also gave them too few arrows. I didn't know about the 49 arrow cap either, good to know.
>>
>>159594020
Yep, ancient bug. Practically a tradition at this point. See the link in >>159586076.
>>
Post your dorf bedrooms.

How small is just small enough for everyone to have their own room? maybe 2x3?
>>
>>159593691
To get down through it?
Digging out an aquifer plug should work if you know how deep it is.
>>
>>159594331
Just read the tutorial.

I have 5 archers. Do i need to only give 4 orders to prevent exhaustion and rotate my archers out of training like with melee dwarves?
>>
ASCIIfag here, how the fuck do I install taffer? I overwrote all the data I was supposed to but it looks weird and a lot of it is still stock graphics
>>
>>159595146
1x3
>>
>>159595146
>>159595387
Does no one else just do 3x3? I think it's comfy.
>>
>>159595369
Worst case scenario; use the LNP to do it (as I avoid telling you how to do it yourself; I don't know how) but with the text messing up, try hitting F12. I think you can only do it when you start your fort/adventure game up, but I've been wrong before.
>>
>>159595630
>comfy.
there's that word again...
>>
File: ELVES.png (75KB, 500x255px) Image search: [Google]
ELVES.png
75KB, 500x255px
So how does the wheelbarrow feeder pile work?
Say I have a general stockpile and a 3x3 wheelbarrow pile adjacent to it. Can I set the wheelbarrow pile so that Dwarves will use them to transport anything to OR from the general pile or a workshop? Would I need another wheelbarrow pile (or the same) giving to a workshop so that dwarves will wheel, say stone, from a stone stockpile or randomly off of the cavern floor to the workshop, then replace the wheelbarrow in the feeder pile?
Pic sorta related
>>
YEEEESSS!!!

I finally fucking got archery to work. (The hunter ammo had the last hundred reserved and I only had 100 left)
They burn through bolts fucking FAST.

Also, they don't have armor user worth a shit, i may have to train them with that.
>>
>>159595387
1x2 if you want to get technical
1x4 if you want them to have a chest and a cabinet.
>>
>>159595146
you only need a cabinet and a bed. 1x2 is the smallest. I like 2x3 because I can put a bed, table, chair, food pile, drink pile, and cabinet and keep dwarves from travelling to centralized unhappiness spreading locations.
>>
>>159595317
Yeah, I meant digging to the z-levels under it, I'm on the last z-level of it and I'm stuck on semi-molten rock.
>>
>>159595369
http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2014:Tilesets#Installation
>>
>>159597018
bump for wheelbarrows
>>
>>159593691
The magma sea is below the 3rd cavern. To get past it you dig down through an adamantine tube. There's also an exploit using cave ins and feeding miners to the smr, but it's a slow and technically challenging process that involves draining and walling off a large portion of the magma sea to accomplish the same thing you would've accomplished just by digging through a tube.

>>159595317
No, it won't.
>>
>>159598182
smart! aren't chests needed though? or will they stuff everything in a cabinet?
>>
>>159597018
That's not how wheelbarrows work. Dwarves will use them to store items in the stockpile they're assigned to, and that's all.
http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2014:Wheelbarrow
>>
When will dragons and armies and stuff be able to attack towns while the player is actually in said towns? I haven't seen it happen once in adventure mode.
>>
>>159597018
>>159600481
This is probably terribly inefficient and convulted, but I don't really make use of feeder stockpiles.
For one shop, you'd need four Stockpiles:
One General Stockpile
One Wheelbarrow Stockpile next to it
One Shop Stockpile
One Wheelbarrow Stockpile next to that

-Set the General and Shop Stockpiles set to take only from their Wheelbarrow Stockpiles
-Set the Shop Wheelbarrow Stockpile to take only from the General Stockpile
-Set the Shop Stockpile to give only to it's shop(s)
Dwarves should wheel items to the General Wheelbarrow Stockpile from anywhere, then carry them to the General Stockpile, then wheel them over to the Stop Wheelbarrow Stockpile, and then carry them to the Shop Stockpile.

There's no way to make Dwarves wheel items directly to a shop.
>>
>>159601238
Beast attacks don't happen after worldgen ends except in fort mode. Armies are supposed to be able to, but usually get stuck sleeping in camps as soon as the player shows up. I don't know if there are conditions where they can successfully attack sites while the player is around, and have never seen it either.
>>
Traders won't mind if I don't trade at all with them, right? They'll still come back next year?
>>
>>159602435
Yeah, they'll come back. They base the amount of stuff they bring on how much profit or loss they made the year before, though, so don't expect a big haul next year if you pass up trading this year.
>>
>>159601868
Oh that's a shame then, I hope it gets fixed soon. At least the next update will have teams of adventurers breaking into castles and stealing stuff in addition to doing general adventuring things, right?
>>
Man, marksdwarves are buggy as shit.

Toady should really fix them.
>>
File: DatASCII.gif (504KB, 492x386px) Image search: [Google]
DatASCII.gif
504KB, 492x386px
>>159602650
Yar.
>>
>>159602832
Just out of curiousity, is there any event besides armies that could negatively impact a town? Like could even just outlaws raid the place or something, or is it all entirely static?
>>
>>159602986
A bored murderhobo could really stir things up.
>>
>>159603184
darn. I just want my town guard playthrough. Sticking to protecting a single town ain't worth it when there's nothing you can really do past clearing out the local camps.
>>
red pill me on elves
>>
>>159603490
They belong on shelves (their various butchered parts, that is).
>>
>>159603490
Elf ride the grizzle bear. Ehs a pretty cool guy and doesn't afraid of anything.
>>
Favourite colour settings? I can't seem to find one I'm happy with. I'm using some basic Myne square ascii.
>>
>>159603490
Only good for boypussi
>>
>>159603490
hippie nature elves are the worst variety of elf.
>>
>>159603367
Well, beasts do get active when your adventurer is nearby, so if you really want to defend your town from a dragon you could try leading one back. If you're fast, clever and patient you might be able to pull it off.
>>
>>159605397
That seems counterproductive from an in-character perspective. I'll just wait till the next update and the game turns into medieval ocean's 11 x100
>>
>>159601517
thanks anyhow

>>159601109
That's where I got the feeder pile idea in the first place. I'm just abandoning the whole thing
>>
>open old save
>20 strong, equiped militia
>injured dorfs needing cleaning and caring
>no water access anywhere on the map
My priorities were fucked. I didn't even have 50% bedrooms
>>
>>159603490
high and mighty forest aristocrats, not too much trouble unless they have nasty pets
>>
can wax not be used as a building material?
>>
>>159603490
They run fast and have facial features you can pinch off to make a nice collection of pointy ears with, but even if you give them improved material property having wood to use they'll use crap wood far too often for armor and weapons.
>>
>>159603490
They are used by the goblins to achieve their goals.
>>
>>159609346
No, just for crafts.
>>
File: dulltown.png (327KB, 1366x728px) Image search: [Google]
dulltown.png
327KB, 1366x728px
>>159604575
pls help everything's so washed out
>>
>>159610752
Those colors look pretty nice to me.
>>
how do I give someone a labor ability?

I need to smelt shit but i didnt give anyone the furnace op when i doled out skill points. When do the baddies show up if you set savagery to low or medium
>>
>>159611393
There's just little contrast, like a greyfilter or something
>>
>>159611474
savagery has nothing to do with when things turn up, it just describes the environment and what you're likely to find there. Labour is in the prefs menu
>>
>>159611474
http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2014:Labor#Assigning_Labors

Savagery doesn't influence whether you're attacked or when, just what kinds of wildlife you get.
>>
>>159611479
I play with a pretty low contrast color scheme myself. I guess that's just my preference.
Have you looked at the color scheme repository on the wiki? There are tons of schemes there.
>>
>>159611621
>>159611667
XD holy fuck guys ive had like 3 fortresses and hadnt read up on labour assignment, feeling like a fool.

Have never been attacked by anything though, i usually stop the map gen around year 150 should I wait the full 250? Not like id be able to handle a goblin attack without any bars made but id like to see what thats like.
>>
>>159612046
It's hard to get a feel for a scheme just from the palette, i was hoping just for some recommendations.
>>
>>159612137
Ok, I'll try.
If you want something that pops without being eye murder, try solarized or dawnbringer. Maybe vherid mishka. Dawnbringer colorblind gets a mention because it turns vomit a soft blue that's really pleasant to look at.
If you don't mind a little eye murder and want to be able to pick out your fisherdwarves from across the room try true cga.
>>
File: Untitled_1.png (126KB, 1397x803px) Image search: [Google]
Untitled_1.png
126KB, 1397x803px
>be a couple years into my fort
>just want to make a comfy outpost that has a big assed library and a ton of scholars
>NOPE a 100+ strong army of goblins and their friends come my way
So I decide to wall off and wait to make traps and stuff until the local book dragon shows up
So I wonder will a dragon be enough to save me from this many invaders?
>>
File: Untitled_2.png (50KB, 1393x804px) Image search: [Google]
Untitled_2.png
50KB, 1393x804px
>>159612754
Because things do look pretty bleak
>>
>>159612121
The age of the world isn't all that important for determining whether you're attacked. Make sure you're embarking near potential attackers (usually goblins or a necromancer tower), get your population at least to 80, and make a lot of wealth. Semimegabeasts and titans can attack as low as 50 population, and forgotten beasts and werebeasts can attack even lower than that. If you're really eager to get your shit pushed in, dig deeper.
>>
File: Untitled_3.png (121KB, 1396x1607px) Image search: [Google]
Untitled_3.png
121KB, 1396x1607px
>>159612831
The answer of course is a resounding "yes"
And that's how my books were saved by a dragon
>>
>>159612754
Probably not. Dragons are made of meat, and goblins carry metal. As soon as it gets surrounded it'll drop. It will probably put a dent in their forces and set your whole embark on fire, though.
>>
>>159613021
>>159613129
Huh. Well color me surprised.
>>
>>159612710
Mishka is pretty good, I'll stick with it for a while
>>
File: MonitorLizardFail.png (119KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
MonitorLizardFail.png
119KB, 1920x1080px
>>159612831
Bleak? That looks AMAZING, a siege AND a mega at the same time?

Fuck yeah!

>>159612137
Well, I like the default colors but it's softer due to the partially transparent ground tiles I use, with a slightly blue black (like 0/0/5 r/g/b) because I like the crisper colors.
>>
>>159613021
Looks like half of them just ran away. Your others list dropped by 91 but your dead/missing list only increased by 45.
>>
>>159613569
Oh would you look at that, you're right
Well, I'm kind of stuck here. So I'm going to see how many more it will tear to shreds or burn to death until it gets bored and leaves
Megabeasts still leave your site right?
>>
>>159613569
Not 91. 88. Maybe it's time to sleep.
>>
>>159613691
Should read
>how many more scholars get murdered
>>
>>159613691
Yeah, it'll leave eventually. It's already distracted, so I guess it's already been around a while? I've never seen a mega stick around for more than a couple of seasons, but it's been a long time since I gave one the opportunity, so I'm not certain.
>>
>>159415869
>work faster
>not just upping the game fps cap

there, now my dwarfs work fast on shitty morale
>>
Can I still set upright spears in a room and jam a bunch of dorfs in there to increase their skills?
>>
>>159616129
With mechanics tweaks regarding weapon impacts, it's a good way to pulp your entire army now.
>>
>>159616129
>>159616248
So yeah, it's a great way to ween out the weaklings!
>>
>>159613129
Depends on if they bring it down early with bolts or not. Dragons are glass cannons. Dragonfire is very deadly and fire in general is deadly.
>>
plump
>>
>>159551536
that's not underground, that's a death trap, what are you doing
>>
The thread is dead. Long live the thread.
>>
why aren't we talking about aurora
>>
File: roof.png (19KB, 709x410px) Image search: [Google]
roof.png
19KB, 709x410px
how do you make roofs to your buildings? I mainly just make a flot top or if I want to put effort make the second in picture.
Any other kinds you use?
>>
>>159623613
I like making inverted roofs with a flat roof over them. It makes a nice pool for dwarf
>>
>>159623613
flat top for future expansion, always. No point in making fancy roofs other then looks and when your dwarfs live in shit and blood the majority of their lives, why bother
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hIz9Qk6vOWI

wtf i love japa now
>>
>>159483023
yes they do but your losing out of the fun of making a fortress dedicated to making masterwork items for your adventurer to use.
>>
>>159584427
>>159581169
>>159580632
I unforbad them from picking up ammo and they still dont want to touch it.
>>
So how is Masterwork? I rarely hear it talked about outside a few posts.
>>
>>159630263
Its ok, the civs are fun. It's kind of bloaty but you can disable most of the extra shit.
>>
File: ss+(2016-11-07+at+04.06.03).png (210KB, 559x785px) Image search: [Google]
ss+(2016-11-07+at+04.06.03).png
210KB, 559x785px
I have several empty barrels available but my dorfs dont store seeds in them why is that?
>>
>>159631429
Seeds can't just be put in a barrel. They need to be put in a bag, which will in turn be put in a barrel.
>>
>>159631429
You need more bags.
You should not store seeds in barrels, its buggy. Disable barrels in seed stockpiles, or your farmers will have lots of problems getting seeds.
>>
>>159631608
>>159631634
What about the reason they don't put bolts in a bin?
>>
>>159631830
I've never seen any issues with getting bolts into bins. Getting them back out, on the other hand...
>>
>>159633019
I started playing DF yesterday so I don't really know what the fuck I'm doing
It's just that there's an empty bin right there and my dorfs just throw bolts onto the stockpile without putting them into any container.
Do I need to give them a command for that?
>>
File: hWcmVY8.gif (196KB, 548x426px) Image search: [Google]
hWcmVY8.gif
196KB, 548x426px
>mfw reading about obok meatgod
>>
>>159633107
No. Someone will eventually take a "store item in container" job and scoop the bolts to put them in the bin. If you intend to use those bolts I highly recommend disabling bins in that stockpile before someone does.
>>
>>159633382
took me a second
good one
>>
>>159628769
You need to reclaim the ones that were used when they were being forbidden. Changing the order only takes effect for ones used after the change
>>
What is the actual problem with bins?
>>
>>159636860
I always see people on here bitching about bins but I've never really had a problem with them that I've noticed.
>>
>>159636860
>>159637770
http://bay12games.com/dwarves/mantisbt/view.php?id=2706
http://bay12games.com/dwarves/mantisbt/view.php?id=8755
http://bay12games.com/dwarves/mantisbt/view.php?id=6073
http://bay12games.com/dwarves/mantisbt/view.php?id=1795
This list of bugs isn't exhaustive.
There's also a working-as-intended "feature" that items in a bin that includes an export-restricted item can't be traded if you have culling on mandates enabled.
>>
File: 2584946-elk_man.jpg (202KB, 807x1335px) Image search: [Google]
2584946-elk_man.jpg
202KB, 807x1335px
I need elkposter to come back and finish his fucking quest goddamnit
>>
>>159637770
I notice it mainly in my clothing industry, that's why I usually don't even bother with cloth stockpiles.

Instead, I usually just build two looms with clothier workshops next to them. That way, the looms will automatically accumulate silk cloth due to my weavers' hard work, and when the clothiers are at work, they can just pick their cloth straight out of the looms.
>>
>>159623613
>/######\
Just one floor of slant, flat at the top. With ramps, of course.
I often put a door on the side for roof access, instead of a hatch at the top.
>>
File: 0.png (425KB, 900x1200px) Image search: [Google]
0.png
425KB, 900x1200px
Do smelters need anything specific to work?
I made one and set some ammo to melt but they dont do anything.
>>
>>159642880
http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2014:Smelter
>>
>>159612121
>set map age for very short (5 years)
>Download and Use Lazy Newb Pack
>Use Lazy Newb Packs Utilities bar to run Dwarf Therapist

Once you have 20+ dwarves, The game is tunplayable without Dwarf Therapist.
>>
I want to make more artistic forts and am looking for examples/feedback on making a functional, yet pretty fort.

The problem I always run into is that stone layers rarely stay the same throughout a z level, so it always ends up looking like a mess of colors when I got to smooth and engrave the stone.

Are my forts too big? Does having my worlds mineral frequency set too high have anything to do with it?
>>
>>159630263
Fun mod but the developer a shit, don't donate to him.
>>
>>159645009
There's no such thing as too big. If the differing colors bother you that much, place constructed floors and walls in their place. The only problem is that you won't be able to engrave them.
>>
>>159644243
>Once you have 20+ dwarves, The game is tunplayable without Dwarf Therapist.

Not true. I, and many others, regularly play DF without using Dwarf Therapist. I haven't used Dwarf Therapist in at least 2 years. I spend even less time trying to manage labors and professions now than I ever did using Dwarf Therapist too.

I just use workshop profiles with minimum skill level settings for producing important things and if something's not getting done fast enough then I'll pick some random idler and enable that labor on them. I don't try to incessantly micromanage or min/max my dwarf's labors anymore like I had a tendency to do when using Dwarf Therapist.
>>
>>159641102
This.
Elkposter, why have you abandoned us?
>>
File: goblin morning.png (1MB, 1755x1275px) Image search: [Google]
goblin morning.png
1MB, 1755x1275px
You wake up in a Goblin dark fortress.
>>
Why do I keep getting actrion interupted: dangerous terrain inside my fortress? It's literally just a square with a door, no floors.
>>
>>159647157
>"This cannot horrify me" says survivor
>Urist McAnon's sides have been missing for a week.

This is gold. Keep up the good work.
>>
>>159647683
>no floors
What?
If your dwarves try to walk across a tile without a floor they'll fall and cancel their job with that message, but I can't imagine that's what you actually mean. And if it is, I can't imagine you'd be confused by it.
>>
>>159648512
I mean it's literally just 1 floor, no downstairs and upstairs.
>>
>>159648618
Zoom to where the cancellations are happening and post a screenshot.
>>
What do you guys think of all these migrants that keep coming? Is there a way to regulate what comes to your fort?
When the Mountainhome sends their dwarves, they're not sending their best. They're sending dwarves with useless skills. And they have lots of problems. They're bringing drugs, they're bringing crime, they're rapists. And some I assume are good dwarves.
It's coming from more than the Mountainhome. It's coming from all over the world. It's coming probably from elven sites. But we don't know what's happening. And it's gotta stop.
>>
>>159649454
top kek
>>
>>159649454
ayy lmao
>>
File: ss+(2016-11-07+at+09.03.50).png (625KB, 1069x947px) Image search: [Google]
ss+(2016-11-07+at+09.03.50).png
625KB, 1069x947px
>>159648925
Cancelations keep happening while dorfs are trying to mess with food storage in the middle.
For various reasons.
Usually dangerous terrain, drop-off and unaccesible.
>>
How do you rebuild soil floors and walls?
>>
>>159653839
you don't
>>
>>159653997
That's a major oversight.
>>
are there any benefits to making dwarfs have their own room? are their downsides to having a shit ton of beds in the same room and assigning them to dwarfs?
>>
>>159653072
That's not helpful.
Go to your (a)nnouncements and select the most recent dangerous terrain announcement. (z)oom to it and take a screenshot there.
>>
>>159654026
STRIKE the earth not BUILD the earth ok
>>
>>159647157
N1CE
>>
>>159654557
Less likely to catch a vampire in the act, more digging.

Lower room value, more difficult to give each dwarf desired furniture.
>>
>>159654962
Er, those are both downsides. The benefit to giving dwarves their own rooms is that they'll be happier from higher values and more possessions. It is also the aesthetically superior option.
>>
File: typicalfort.png (698KB, 2022x9691px) Image search: [Google]
typicalfort.png
698KB, 2022x9691px
>>
>>159658367
kruggsmash's only good fanart
>>
>>159641102
>>159646985
Im really sorry to have postponed the writefagging so suddenly without any explanations, I had some serious study affairs that needed some attention
I do know how bad does it feel to be waiting for a story that I dont know will continue
I will certainly keep the story updated regularly, with better thought arcs and writing, don't worry about that
I cant write Today tho, more probably tomorrow
keep strong, I've thought about the plot, and it only gets better
>>
>>159412619
where is this from?
>>
File: wtf.png (223KB, 405x797px) Image search: [Google]
wtf.png
223KB, 405x797px
>>159659021
>he doesn't know about dungeon meshi
>>
>>159658792
>>159646985
>>159641102
Also, If I forgwt to say it, I really apreciate the atention and love the quest is receiving
I had never writinfagged before, but I think I'll keep doing it
>>
File: dfg-09.png (50KB, 642x1083px) Image search: [Google]
dfg-09.png
50KB, 642x1083px
>>
>>159653839
you can muddy ground with water for growing, which is the only point of soil

>>159645009
smooth, engraved walls are overvalued. All they provide is wealth, never directly giving a passing happy thought, only increasing room value. Glass windows are significantly superior value for walls, and unless there is a very large area it's easy to craft high value furniture that dwarfs the value of engraved floors.

You can provide consistent color scheme by simply constructing all the walls/floors.
>>
>>159659021
read dungeon meshi
it's worth your time
it has a dwarf in it that acts considerably dwarfy
>>
File: Arcanum_dwarf_1920x1080.jpg (2MB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
Arcanum_dwarf_1920x1080.jpg
2MB, 1920x1080px
I'm starting with Dwarf Fortress because I love dwarves. I've played them for years in tabletop, picked them when I could in vidya, but nothing in video games has really done it for me when it comes to dwarvishness. I hear good things about DF, but I never wanted to dedicate the time to learning it until now, so I'm jumping right in.

Do you guys have any tips or things I should keep in mind? I've heard that I won't "win" for a long time, but that's fine, from all the greentexts I've seen about DF the fun seems to come from things fucking up. I don't want any spoilers, but if you have any tips akin to "punch trees to get wood in Minecraft", that's what I'd like to hear.
>>
>>159613021
>sirab glowedfortune the jew
/pol/ was right again.
>>
>>159662567
read the wiki
>>
>>159662567
>when in doubt read the wiki
>there is no win condition
>miners and planters are going to be busy pretty much 24/7 so don't give them important secondary jobs
>feel free to ask more specific questions here after consulting the wiki
>>
My expedition leader died to zombies, and apparently, my new expedition leader is a goblin.
I mean, he's a short, sturdy creature fond of drink and industry, but culturally, he believes in goblin values.
I wish I got some migrants. The haunted forest is really eating into my dwarf reserves. Not sure how long I can last like this.
>>
>>159662345
>dwarfs the value
i see what you did there.
>>
File: 2016-11-08 00_02_03.png (51KB, 968x499px) Image search: [Google]
2016-11-08 00_02_03.png
51KB, 968x499px
>>159663529
I had a picture but I forgot it.
>>
>>159662567
What >>159662917 said.
Use the wiki's quickstart guide for your first fort, it'll help you get a grasp on the basics.
When you have a question, read the wiki before you ask here.
DF is still in alpha and Toady is a self-taught programmer, so it has a lot of bugs. That said, if something isn't working the way you expect it to your first instinct should be "I've fucked something up" rather than "I've encountered a bug." If you're certain you've encountered a bug make a backup of your save to post on the bugtracker. Every report helps.
>>
>>159663964
>>159662917
>>159663441
Alrighty, fair enough. My friend also told me to kill cats on sight. Is that a meme or is there a reason for it?
>>
>>159664121
Just make sure you cull the young before they get too numerous.
>>
File: 2cat.png (125KB, 625x1907px) Image search: [Google]
2cat.png
125KB, 625x1907px
>>159664121
Cats breed like rabbits. More cats == More creatures == less FPS.

When embarking choose a small embark (resize it to 2x2 at the largest) to mitigate FPS loss.
>>
Cats are useful for patrolling your food stockpiles, since vermin tend to gather in and around them.

Question: How much plaster can a Hospital bag hold?
>>
>>159665170
You forgot the actual reason the catsplosion meme came to be in the first place:
You can't easily kill cats that adopted a dwarf, which they do a lot. That together with their affinity to multiply is the reason. Other animals can be adopted, and other animals multiply rapidly, but in the time the meme first emerged cats were the most prominent ones with both.

Though nowadays having it under control is trivial with gelding.
>>
>>159665503
nm, 11 bags. 5 default

http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2014:Gypsum_plaster
>>
File: 2016-11-08 00_46_22.png (17KB, 956x167px) Image search: [Google]
2016-11-08 00_46_22.png
17KB, 956x167px
>He didn't feel anything after being attacked by his own dead wife
I suppose these goblin-raised dwarves do have their benefits.
>>
>>159667173
Actually, that probably has more to do with him being too drunk to give a fuck.

Goblins, despite their evil values, still get upset really easy about things. See, because of their [NODRINK], they never consume alcohol, meaning that they, unlike the dwarves, still have to deal with all the shit they see. Plus, they've got really greedy and decadent personalities, which make them want to drink really badly, even though the game mechanics prevent them for doing it.
>>
>>159667754
Never really understood why Toady made them immortal beings fueled by evil. I'd have figured them to breed like rabbits but have short lifespans.
>>
>>159667173
Do these feels screens ever get cleared or they jsut grow larger?
>>
>>159668282
Probably because they're supposed to be demonic. In vanilla, goblins don't even exist until a demon escapes starts a goblin civ. This behaviour is hard-coded into the dark fortress sites the goblins use.

In any case, no demons = no goblins, so there is an implication that the goblins themselves are at least partially demonic.

I kinda like the goblins we have now. What you wish for sounds more like the stereotypical Warhammer or TES goblins, who are mostly weak, primitive, stupid, and mostly used for laughs. I like that the DF gobbos avert from that stereotype.
>>
>>159669059
I'm not saying that the vanilla ones are bad, just surprised they ended up the way they did since its so atypical. Its also kinda interesting when you consider the fact that not one but two sentient species are unaging.
>>
>>159668419
I'm pretty sure the older feels drop off eventually. They can get pretty long when a lot of things happen to a dwarf, but they won't grow forever.
>>
big casual baby here

is therapist ever going to be updated for current build ever again
>>
>>159669947
Dwarf Therapist needs a current version of DFHack to work. Once they get DFHack updated and working then you can expect a working Dwarf Therapist to follow soon afterwards.
>>
>>159671025

thanks, anon!

how long does it typically take for them to release updates?
>>
How does a glumprong looks like? Any drawfags made a flora compendium?
>>
>>159672273
Well, the new versions of Dwarf Fortress (0.43.XX) are the first ones to have a 64-bit version (they also have legacy 32-bit versions available for now, but it's understood that Toady wants to eventually drop 32-bit support and only maintain the 64-bit version going forward). I believe that DFHack has a working alpha release for the current 32-bit version but I don't know how far out they are from having it working with the 64-bit version. Dwarf Fortress moving to 64-bit is what has caused DFHack (and by extension Dwarf Therapist) to take so long to come out with a working update for the newest version of DF.

I believe that Dwarf Therapist developers use the memory mapping research done by the DFHack team to make Dwarf Therapist, so until the DFHack team manages to release a completed memory map then Dwarf Therapist can't be updated.
>>
File: img_5854.jpg (845KB, 1080x720px) Image search: [Google]
img_5854.jpg
845KB, 1080x720px
>>159673674
>>
>>159671025
Dwarf therapist doesn't need DFhack. Dwarf Manipulator, DFhack's integrated labor manager, does. There's already a working DFhack release.
>>
>>159673778
>Well, the new versions of Dwarf Fortress (0.43.XX) are the first ones to have a 64-bit version
Only .43.05. .43.01-43.04 weren't 64bit.
>>
>>159661406
whats wrong with cage traps are they cheap?
>>
>>159677083
>are they cheap?

Yeah, people think that using a shitload of cage traps makes the game too easy.
>>
>>159673848
dats not spoopy tho
>>
>>159675026
Only 64 bit fully working is for garbagepeople using windows, and they don't count.
>>
>>159647157
Excellent.
to decimate means to kill a tenth of
>>
>>159677681
Apply liberally to the affected area.
>>
File: ForWindowsUsers.gif (18KB, 450x338px) Image search: [Google]
ForWindowsUsers.gif
18KB, 450x338px
>>159679951
Will do, here's your scrip btw.
>>
>>159680206
She was worth it.
>>
>>159680790
>Valtrex: She was worth it.
>>
It was inevitable.
>>
I keep losing babies. All of my dwarves are happy and healthy but babies just keep dying and I don't know why.
>>
>>159685732
Don't look a gift horse in the mouth.
>>
>>159685732
Do you have a watersource? If so, is it contaminated?
Do you have any minecart tracks set for dwarves to ride?
You can engrave a slab to see a creature's cause of death.
>>
>>159686390
Seems to be dehydration. I guess I have not really thought about a water source since I just am using brew to keep everyone hydrated. I take it babies can't drink beer? Maybe it's for the best they died.
>>
Just starting to learn how to play.

My furnace operator is in a key mood. I've built a Smelter and a Metalsmith's forge for him but he still won't budge. Does he need a Magma forge or what?
>>
File: 2016_11_07_19_54_21 - Copy.jpg (306KB, 921x2079px) Image search: [Google]
2016_11_07_19_54_21 - Copy.jpg
306KB, 921x2079px
"I der' gont' damn batman."
>>
What was ninedots's blog again?
>>
>>159688094
whats his highest craft skill?

Thats the one you want to build.
>>
>>159688928
he's an adequate furnace operator, if that's what you mean.
other than that, he's a novice trapper and building designer
>>
>>159686034
made me cackle like a hen
>>
>>159689562
craftsdwarf workshop for no noodable skills.
>>
>>159689562
do you have therapist? if you run therapist and check one of the squares to the left it will tell you what skill, i think.
>>
>>159690003
thanks bunches
I even already had what he needed
>>
>>159690386
Post the artifact when it's done.
>>
File: terstum.png (28KB, 1920x1040px) Image search: [Google]
terstum.png
28KB, 1920x1040px
>>159690684
here you are
>>
>>159688672
http://acidyblog.blogspot.com.ar/
>>
>>159690885
>Hand held
>50 metal strings
Sweet jesus
>>
>>159691985
Thanks, but didn't he have a deviantart account?
Or was that someone else?
>>
I want to mass produce high value, high quality furniture. Whats the best alloy to use?

Electrum is good, but gold is so rare. If I have any zinc, that would be my best bet. As is, I'm thinking bronze or billon, but I tend to use bronze for serrated discs, and billon only works with tetra or galena.
>>
>>159694287
Everything you need to know in a handy table.
http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2014:Metal#Alloys_2
>>
>>159694287
If I have any Zinc, Brass would be my best bet.

>>159694532
I'm looking at it right now.
>>
>>159579338
I'm not sure if anyone knows the answer to that question.
>>
>>159579338
>>159696897
There hasn't been compatibility break for over 2 years.
>>
So I have never embarked in an area with an aquifer, due to having been warned against it way back when by a tutorial. Should I man up and finally do it or is it honestly more trouble then it's worth. Any advantages?
>>
>>159692198
Not a clue, I don't tread into the depths of furrydom which lay there.
>>
>>159699391
An easily tapped source of unlimited clean water and all of the potential mineral wealth of sedimentary layers.
>>
>>159701467
I read "unlimited clean mineral water and sedimentary mining rights" goddamn election season getting my spellchecker all political.
>>
>>159701467
is it possible to drain those sedimentary layers to harvest that mineral wealth?
>>
Does 64-bit add a noticeable performance increase to large cities in adventure mode?
>>
>>159702178
You usually won't need to. With the exception of a couple of stone types aquifers are all in dirt. Just read the wiki.
>>
>>159699335
The lack of a compatibility break means only that the answer might be some form of yes. The question, as I understood it, was "Can I make a library full of books in my fort from 0.40.24 somehow and if so, how?". I tried finding the answer to that back when 0.42.01 came out, but got nowhere and quickly gave up. So far as I know, nobody knows the answer, or if they do, I haven't heard of it. When I tried porting my old fort over, I couldn't make paper and the only art form available was storytelling. I've never done any raw modding, and I wasn't all that invested in my fort at the time, so I figured I'd get more bang for my buck by starting over rather than trying from scratch to figure out how to do something which might be impossible.

This guy is in a different situation in terms of investment in his fort, so he'd probably be willing to modify raws or something, but I don't know if that'll work or how to do it, nor do I know of anyone else knowing.
>>
>start adventure mode in a human town
>walk out of the keep
>gobbos waiting outside for some reason
>i dont have a weapon worth a shit so I start strangling the fuckers
>catch a pike in the gut
>bleed to death
I took 5 of those fuckers with me. Why were they hostile to me? they weren't attacking anybody else, but once they saw me they went apeshit.
>>
>>159702745
I only notice significant lag in sites with tens of thousands of beak dogs and goblins and shit while I'm deconstructing spires.
>>
>>159703880
Roving bandits? Did they try to introduce themselves?
>>
>>159705942
Did they rob you?

Show me on the elephant bone figurine where the bandits touched you.
>>
>>159703669
>So far as I know, nobody knows the answer.
There's nothing esoteric or mysterious here. Many people know the answer. The answer is that saves from as from as far back .40.03 are compatible with the current version.
Adding new items or creatures or reactions to the raws after worldgen doesn't do anything, but that has nothing to do with version changes. Every civ is genned with access to items and knowledge defined by the raws when they're created. There isn't any way to mod the raws to change that. All of the procedurally generated instruments and artforms are created during worldgen. There's no way to mod the raws to change that either.
So if your world was genned before 42.01 and you want a library full of books you can raid a necromancer tower and bring them back to your fort. That's the only way, though, because necromancers are the only people in your world who know how to write books.
Make sense?
>>
>I'm with Urist.
>Make the Plane of Dragons great again!
>>
where is Future of the Fortress reply?
>>
>>159690885
>glass violin
>fifty strings
>five octave range
Damn.
I just wish it was possible to play an instrument without knowing a music style that uses it.
>>
>>159712583
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=159164.msg7246240#msg7246240
>>
File: 1470691769596.png (15KB, 210x260px) Image search: [Google]
1470691769596.png
15KB, 210x260px
>>159644243
how autistic are people that they need to micromanage every single dorf? just let the fortress be as is it and arrange 1-3 dorfs jobs at a time as needed.
Literally tried the rapist once and never again, the game loses the comfy factor when you yoi have some excel esque program that you fuck around in all the time.
>>
>>
>>159715878
I knew there was a reason I felt bad hitting them.
>>
File: neat.png (282KB, 479x401px) Image search: [Google]
neat.png
282KB, 479x401px
>>159714000
Personally I'm pretty fond of Manipulator. Since it uses the game UI, it doesn't break the immersion. It's also exclusively used for viewing and changing professions, meaning that it doesn't have all the cheat functions that therapist has.

Also, nice trips.
>>
How are all my shut in cave dwelling dorf friends doing this day?
>>
File: reclusive DF players.jpg (95KB, 630x354px) Image search: [Google]
reclusive DF players.jpg
95KB, 630x354px
>>159717310
get out REEE
>>
>>159717310
So anyway, Salty shill here with another video. I was slightly intoxicated in this episode, that is where the stuttering and slurring that happens a few times comes from. I feel like it just adds to the authentic DF experience anyway.

Thanks for your time faggots.

Also why the fuck did I butcher my dogs, what was I thinking.
>>
>>159717591
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=imNVB7dQ04Y

Here is the link. Forgot it.

Like I said, am drunk off my ass.
>>
File: shiggy2.png (295KB, 361x382px) Image search: [Google]
shiggy2.png
295KB, 361x382px
>>159717310
>>159717591
>>159717668
>wants to shill ONE measly video
>has to make three posts about it
anon, please die
>>
>>159717992

If the please die thing is supposed to be an insult, jokes on you it would be a favor. If I send you my address could you do me in? Doesn't even have to be quick.
>>
>>159718042
It is sad but not unexpected.
>>
File: n6vcz0u2lzhx.jpg (19KB, 785x757px) Image search: [Google]
n6vcz0u2lzhx.jpg
19KB, 785x757px
>>159718042
>If I send you my address could you do me in?
Where do you live? I want to PUNCH your lights out.
>>
File: microexpressions_sadness.png (104KB, 497x305px) Image search: [Google]
microexpressions_sadness.png
104KB, 497x305px
>tfw toady will never hold you in his arms
>>
>first year's autumn
>building booze and food stocks so I don't panic when the big migrant wave hits
>not enough workers to smoothly run metal, cloth and paper industries
>got a few idlers though
>last wave yielded an engraver migrant
>tell him to smooth and engrave my dining hall
>check back when it's done
>every single wall-tile is fighting
>goblins against dwarves
>dwarves killing elves
>elves fighting alongside goblins
>elves stabbing dwarves
>goblins killing dwarves
>dwarves killing goblins

Haven't checked on the world's history yet but it must have been some heavy shit since the only thing worth depicting in this world is epic battles.
Also decorating a dining hall with gore and act of violence is dwarven af.
>>
>Embark is close to some nasty high savagery mountains, but otherwise perfect.

>Biome is "Mirthful" steppe

>Stop there since I hadn't played in some time, and Mirthful is a good allignment.

>Raining "Repulsive Mucus" when I arrive

>Zombie Dark Gnomes immediately on my wagon skulling all my booze, even while my dwarves frantically cut them pieces.

>5 Units of Wine left. 5.

>Dwarves forced to go out in mucus rain and drink mucus water for first week or so

>Zombie Gnomes keep fucking up everybodies toes and feet, chief medical dwarf can hardly do shit because no clean water

>Militia all pretty much useless except one Axe Dwarf, but he can't keep chasing gnomes all day.

>Immigrant plays with his cat in front doorway and lets the gnomes inside again, goodbye half my booze all over again.

>Zombie Giant Kea swarm attacks next immigrant wave seriously wounding just everybody, so more cripples to feed

>9 of the fuckers just sitting on my only water source for over a week now

>Had next to nothing to show for the first caravan.

>No water to treat patients, running out of wood, literally all dwarves triggered in some way except the chief medical dwarf who's having a great time for some reason.

Almost a year in now, i think, and these poor tormented fucks still don't have their own rooms.

Do I just fuck off the surface and dip into the caverns for wood/water? Could probably deal if I knew how to militia better, but seems like a reanimating biome which is funny for fucking "Mirthful", and not sure I want my only combatants zombified to clean up the cripples.

Half a mind to block off the hospital with fortifications and just start digging.
>>
>>
>>159665170
lmao 2cat
>>
>>159722308
As a follow up
Turns out Giant Keas are actually Giant, instead of just a few times bigger like the usual "Giant" stuff, and that "zombie" doesn't always mean easier to bisect.

Rip squad
>>
>>159722308
If you're sure mirthful is the only biome you embarked on, you should report it. You shouldn't be getting evil weather, reanimation or zombie wildlife if that's the case. More likely you embarked on more than one biome without noticing. Almost certain, actually, as gnomes are exclusively found in mountain biomes and you can't embark on just a mountain.
>>
File: whatthefuck.png (35KB, 1898x227px) Image search: [Google]
whatthefuck.png
35KB, 1898x227px
>>159724323
All along, I was only fighting the absence of Zombie Giant Keas.

It was inevitable.
>>
>>159726540
Yup, there's a bit of the northern "haunted" mountains within my embark to the south for some reasons, random outlying bit I guess.

"Steppe" was innaccurate too, im on... badlands? I think, not quite desert but sure not anything you could call forested. Forget/Dunno how to recheck, only creatures I've seen that aren't zombies from the mountain spawn have been regular Dingos which seem more afraid of my dorfs than vice versa
>>
File: beastmen.jpg (1MB, 3000x1950px) Image search: [Google]
beastmen.jpg
1MB, 3000x1950px
>>159722710
Lovely, as normal.
>>
>>159501875
This sounds entirely realistic in a fantasy settung
>>
I got it!
See, zombies I figure are pretty simple, and a simple creature with simple desires zombified should be even easier to appease.

Keas love stealing shit, so I left my old copper pick axe outside. They took that and 6 of 7 seem to have fucked off, just the entirely skeletal one decided to stick around and I'm beyond caring if they manage to properly kill a dorf by sticking around, I have way too many crutch walking food eaters now.

Not that I know they're gone, they'll probably be back soon, but I'll be underground chilling with On, the amorphous ball of salt FG with no syndrome or special attack to speak of.

Heaven.
>>
Danger rooms: Playing smart or cheating the system?
>>
>>159729057
Now that training isn't shit I consider it cheating but you bet your ass if I get in dire straits I will make one.
>>
>>159729057
Pretty legit training RP not counting that parry-the-world-to-become-a-god thing

an ingame week can be like 3 minutes unpaused so eh
>>
>>159729057
more like playing with crippled dwarfs
>>
File: elf tweets vs goblin tweets.png (259KB, 577x511px) Image search: [Google]
elf tweets vs goblin tweets.png
259KB, 577x511px
Goblin:
>live for hundreds of years as a soldier
>only become mediocre cannon fodder

Dwarf:
>train for two years
>become unstoppable killing machine

What did Toady mean by this?
>>
>>159730924
>Fight 700 year old goblin warrior who has been a general since the Age of Myth in fortress mode.

Just another nameless enemy casualty

>Same shit in Adventure Mode
>You Retch
>You Vomit
>You can't breath
>Elephant Man Tears
>>
>>159728873
kek, godspeed anon, I hope you have plans for an all hammer / mace wielding military in the future at least.
>>
>>159730678
>Implying modern danger rooms are not actually for training medical dorfs
>>
>>159731236
>This performance is mediocre.
>>
>tfw you find no iron ores on your embark site
>plenty of copper ores but no cassiterite so can't make bronze
>dig all the way down to the magma sea to find a single, small candy vein that's completely engulfed in the magma sea and inaccessible

Life is suffering....
>>
So how bad is the performance hit when going up from a 2x2 embark to a 3x3 or even a 4x4?
>>
>>159731746
For now my military is pretty much who-evers closest to the Axes at the time, which has somehow not gotten anybody killed yet.

This Burrows/Points/Patrols thing is still confusing me a bit so whatever works.
>>
>>159732301
I have a 9 year old PC (with admittedly a newish Phenom II processor in it, but the rest pretty outdated)

I didn't notice the difference between 3x3 and 5x5, only pain is providing safe routes for immigrants & traders, if you really give a shit about those.

Never tried 2x2 but I imagine it could be pretty ideal on big sieges or populations, just never run into troubles on defaults for those
>>
File: itsfine.png (70KB, 872x751px) Image search: [Google]
itsfine.png
70KB, 872x751px
Go on fun, happen
see if I care
>>
>>159733296
Where is your floodgate?
>>
>>159729057
The were cheating when they worked.
>>
>>159733507
I'm sure I put it somewhere, details
>>
>>159733507
>using floodgates instead of the objectively superior raising bridges.
>>
>>159734404
>using raising bridges in place of floodgates
>must wait for that lazy fucking building designer to show up and start construction
>>
>>159734524
>Not just putting the water in a hole and hoping for the best

It's like you don't even want your dwarfs to die
>>
>>159450758
Jesus christ my dick
>>
>>159449878
Woo heaps of new Immigrants!
>9 Zombie Giant Keas show up
Woo a couple of new bleeding cripples who've been robbed
>>
>>159736990
>Nothing but zombies and the corspe of a dead dwarf outside my walled off fort
>Migrants arrived
>>
>>159737465
fucking migrants, always picking the worst time to arrive
>>
>>159739457
Why don't migrants just mine to your fortress for Armoks sake, i hate the surface. It is terrifying.
>>
File: Plump helms.jpg (237KB, 720x630px) Image search: [Google]
Plump helms.jpg
237KB, 720x630px
>find a wide open field of moss in the 3rd cavern layer with a large lake for my Dead civ cavern Fortress
As soon as I get my first migrant wave Im walling this off, fuck goblins, fuck elves, fuck the surface, Dwaves are going UNNAGROUND.
>>
>>159743320
If you make a trade depot down there will the caravans arrive via cavern?
>>
>>159743747
Not yet, but Im fairly sure Toady said he wanted to do that eventually.
>>
File: kek93.png (1KB, 490x74px) Image search: [Google]
kek93.png
1KB, 490x74px
Fuck off captcha I got it right the first two times
>>
>>159727163
now make em sexual
>>
>>159543617
Even Bote has a waifu
>>
>>159742780
I'm afraid the Fort must come before the Fort-connecting-underground-tunnels.
>>
>>159743820
Armok > KEK
>>
>>159659240
>>159662492
Ok, this is pretty cool.
>>
File: pls.jpg (14KB, 236x196px) Image search: [Google]
pls.jpg
14KB, 236x196px
>>159744068
>>159744220
Timbuk... could you draw some lewd stuff as a personal request?could it include boats in a non-specific manner
>>
how can i tell if I started with flux stone in my area? I could have sworn I did but I cant find any anywhere, just hematite and microcline standard shit. This is my fourth fortress and Im looking forward to combat for the first time but Im dickered
>>
>>159746873
>hematite
>microcline

fuck dude, I'd be over the moon with those minerals already. Just trade with the caravans for flux stone to make steel, and in the meantime churn out some beautiful blue masterwork stuff to buy out the caravan. Iron is good enough for an early fortress.
>>
File: region6-00179-01-15-world_map.png (4MB, 6168x9252px) Image search: [Google]
region6-00179-01-15-world_map.png
4MB, 6168x9252px
I'm gonna see if I can revive belief in a deity by editing the world to take over their histfig role.
>>
>>159746873
Dig until you find it or don't. 3/5 of fluxes are sedimentary, so if you're going to find them they'll be shallow. Marble is metamorphic and can be found at nearly any depth. Hematite can be found both in sedimentary and igneous extrusive layers, and microcline can be found in any kind of stone layer, so without more info neither is a good predictor of whether you're likely to find flux near them.
>>
>>159747017
I opted on "frequent" minerals this time around and Ive got a metric shit ton of all kinds of shit, especially gold i must have dozens of nugs
>>
>>159744446
So the sensible thing to do is just not let the useless ones in the real fort, the rest can pick bushes, farm, chop trees & probably all die really quickly because I just couldn't give a shit about micro-ing them into something useful.

Based Burrows.
>>
What is the ideal amount of open z-levels for a subterranean tree farm?
>>
>>159749493
There are no useless migrants, only useless overseers.
>>
>>159750664
8, the maximum trunk height of tunnel tube.
>>
>>159750792
They're showing up half dead, robbed & with infections from the shitty mucus rain, if they make it to the front door at all.

It's like lemmings except one of them stops eating and drinking, dies, and now his wife is triggered about it and is going to fuck up my quarantine operation.

I need a damn Hammerer.
>>
To learn Dorf Fort: Should I watch the old 51ppycup tutorial or the newer one linked in the OP?
>>
File: multithreading.png (706KB, 638x435px) Image search: [Google]
multithreading.png
706KB, 638x435px
>>159752931
You should play and learn for yourself.
>>
>>159754354
I did that and couldn't even tell if my dwarfs were doing anything with the farmland they were meant to be tilling.

Is there any reason to go with 51ppycup?
>>
>>159752931
No.
>>
>>159752931
>>159754429
http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2014:Quickstart_guide
>>
>>159755698
Thanks. How come he's in the OP?
>>159755842
Can't read shit while in the bath anon.
>>
>>159756170
Unless you're playing DF in the bath it doesn't matter what you do there. Though you can apparently read and post on 4chan well enough in the bath.
The videos in the OP are there because OPfag is a poor curator of quality DF content.
The quickstart guide is the best resource available for starting players. And you're going to be using the wiki a lot, so you may as well get used to it now.
>>
>>159754429
Taught myself by doing a dumb embark and doing what I could, everyone got sick and died, was very fun, and by then I had some portion of half a clue and that seems to be where shit goes from frustrating to fucking awesome immediately.
>>
So, I just generated a world with 2 kobold towers.... I'm guessing kobolds can become necromancers?
>>
>>159759334
Clearly the valiant cutebolds conquered the towers from the undead hordes.
>>
File: °•‡•°.png (65KB, 1666x777px) Image search: [Google]
°•‡•°.png
65KB, 1666x777px
>>
File: what.jpg (62KB, 799x507px) Image search: [Google]
what.jpg
62KB, 799x507px
>>159756170
>I'm trying to play Dwarf Fortress, how do I do it?
>CAN'T READ THE WIKI, I'M IN THE BATH
>>
File: 'bold outlook.png (51KB, 262x244px) Image search: [Google]
'bold outlook.png
51KB, 262x244px
>>159761345
Fuck, that's some mighty nice 3d effect you've got going.

Keep up the goodwork nines.
>>
>>159761345
>neindots tries sketchup
>>
>>159760418
Well, it's a really strange world desu. It's a small world with a 125 year history that has 10 necromancer towers (Dwarf, Human, Goblin, and Kobold).
>>
File: 2016_11_08_16_06_42 - Copy.jpg (1MB, 3076x1649px) Image search: [Google]
2016_11_08_16_06_42 - Copy.jpg
1MB, 3076x1649px
>>159744068
>>159746737
I... uhh, dono maybe?
>>
>>159759334
Kobolds civs don't have deities, do they? I'm pretty sure they don't, but I can't check to be certain now, I'm at work. Becoming a necromancer requires belonging to civ with a death god, so if they don't worship deities they can't become necromancers. There are some weird cases where kobolds can become prisoners of deity-worshipping civs that might let them wiggle around the restriction, but I've never seen it.
Kobolds can take up residence in unoccupied sites, and there's an interval between becoming a necromancer and moving to a tower where towers are unoccupied. A really active nearby kobold civ could conceivably send a group of squatters to a tower in that interval. You should visit with an adventurer and report back.
>>
If my dwarves are listed as "recruits" in the jobs page does that mean they aren't doing anything else but being soldiers standing around not fighting? As far as i can tell they are set to active, so they will train once a month? I expect it will say "blanky blank is training" at this point?

Also, im at the base of a cavern but the water is 7/7 so I cant walk along it. what do I do with the cavern? I cant explore it without going back over the empty space or under it.
>>
>>159762148
>3 ogre corpses appear on the horizon
>7 dwarves
>two hammerdorfs refuse to equip shields
fml
>>
>>159763745
Fuck didn't want to quote
>>
How do I become a hearthperson? The only semi-relevant dialogue option I see is "ask to become a performer"
>>
>>159762739
Recruits are soldiers with no combat skills above dabbling. Once they learn to do something soldiery their professions will change to something else.
All profession names except noble titles refer to the creature's dominant skill(s).
>>
File: 2016_11_08_16_45_52.jpg (1015KB, 2196x2831px) Image search: [Google]
2016_11_08_16_45_52.jpg
1015KB, 2196x2831px
>>159744068
>>159746737
Okay, how is this?

>>159763869
I can still draw it for you if you want.

>>159761345
Holy cannoli.
>>
>>159764820
>ywn fuck that bote
Life sucks
>>
So, would it be a good idea to flood the overworld with lava? I thought that it would be a good solution for the fun sieges.
>>
>>159765228
Flooding things with lava is always a good idea.
>>
>>159765228
>Would X with lava be a good idea?
The answer is always yes.
>>
>>159765586
>doing away
>>
>>159764764
and about the cavern?
>>
>>159752440
>not digging underground migrant access tunnels to map edge
Own fault.
>>
>>159764764
K i had a wood burner, hes now a recruit and even though hes not training (no activity) he isnt making charcoal. da fuq. What do i do here
>>
>>159765959
Can only away it so many places anon. Is doing away with magma from the magma ocean not just pumping it to the surface?
>>
been playing this game for years now, but recently i've started to just kind of get bored of my forts early on, not even when i've done all i want to do, but just a year or 2 in. i still have fun playing but i abandon all my forts after just a short time and start it all over again. any ideas? maybe some challenges or something?
>>
>>159764460
Guys pls help I checked the wiki and everything.
>>
File: ª•°•ª.gif (212KB, 999x666px) Image search: [Google]
ª•°•ª.gif
212KB, 999x666px
>>159727163
>>159764820
>>
>>159766460
I don't know what to tell you about the cavern. I don't even know what you're trying to ask about it. Do whatever you like with it.
>>159766996
He's not going to do his civilian job while on duty. He's not going to train without a barracks.
Read this, follow links, read those too.
http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2014:Military
>>
>>159769179
will my dwarves automatically equip a weapon thats better than the one they have. (i figured out the training thing, apart from how the training works. like does it happen once a month for a few days or what)
>>
>>159767958
Reminds me of Brugel's Babel tower. I can't post it because newmoot hates me and the img is large.
>>
File: Bloodmakeseverythingbetter.png (457KB, 1600x900px) Image search: [Google]
Bloodmakeseverythingbetter.png
457KB, 1600x900px
>>159767105
I find myself doing this too. But my issue is the drop in playable fps when my pop hits only ~100. I think I'll start atomsmashing clothes and junk....
I was so upset with fps drop with so many peeps I sent my army to kill every visitor in the tavern. The floor was red with the blood of muses.
>>
>>159769454
I un-(f)orbidded some weapons from fallen enemies on the near edge of the map, and a wave of troops with sub-par equip swarmed the bodies for gear. I suppose some of the more unfocused dwarves will have a harder time appropriating gear.
>>
>>159769454
Depends on their uniform settings. Really, read the wiki.
>>
>>159770508
Link it somewhere you elf
>>
>>159771082
if you want certain dwarfs (your good/trained soldiers) to have better equipment over the random recruits, you can go into the military screen and press e for equip, and give each dwarf specific items. just info incase some random shit picks up some masterwork steel axe or something
>>
>>159771263
>>159770508
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/2/29/Pieter_Bruegel_the_Elder_-_The_Tower_of_Babel_(Rotterdam)_-_Google_Art_Project.jpg
>>
>>159764460
>>159767591
pls
>>
File: futurehellhole.png (11KB, 857x565px) Image search: [Google]
futurehellhole.png
11KB, 857x565px
Need help /dfg/. Starting a new dungeon project, have never done anything like this but my plan is to hold a battle royale in a labyrinth full of hazards deep beneath my fort. There is only one exit but, I don't know how pathfinding works so I think I may be wasting effort in this whole project.

Pic related is my planned layout so far, not executing it yet.
>>
>>159774189
pretty sure everything you put down there will immediately know where the exit is. don't think the adventure mode style fog of war is in fortress mode.
>>
>>159774670
Well my plan is to have traps and live animals to deter any escapees from making a beeline for the exit and even then if they get to the upper level its a long single tile wide corridor with full weapon traps on every tile triggered by pressure plates in the meeting hall.
>>
>>159774834
I also don't plan on having survivors, I just want it to be a bloodbath down there but, I don't want it to end quickly. I didn't want to have a normal pit style arena because it seemed too simple and those usually ended too quick for my tastes.
>>
>>159774189
why should there be an exit?

seal off all the staircases by placing constructed floors above them and just channel open pits and build hatches over them so you can drop them in the labyrinth by pulling a lever.
>>
>>159775573
As far as I know they will just stand in one spot if they don't see a destination to move to so it would just be another pit arena, unless I'm wrong. I will try that. If it doesn't work I guess I will go with my original plan.
Thread posts: 766
Thread images: 132

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.