[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/rlg/ - Roguelike General

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 756
Thread images: 114

File: 1461457342834.png (445KB, 2000x714px) Image search: [Google]
1461457342834.png
445KB, 2000x714px
>DCSS Trunk Updates
http://crawl.develz.org/wordpress/trunk-updates-17-october-2016

>Shared DCSS online account.
User: rlgrobin
Password: ownfault (or "robin" on CXC).
Remember, it's not fun if you didn't splat hard!

FAQ and What to Play
FAQ: http://pastebin.com/Q7K91Q34
What to Play?: http://pastebin.com/yfUKx35f

>Individual Game Pastas
http://pastebin.com/nXBycdgR

Previous Thread: >>158003450
>>
What's happening is part of a phenomenon I wrote about a couple of years ago when I was asked to comment on balance. I went to the DCSS blog and read the trunk commit log. I suffered a great deal in the process. The thought process was dreadful; the decisionmaking was terrible. As I read, I noticed that every time a feature was removed, the developer commented that the feature "was bloat." I began marking on the back of an envelope every time that phrase was repeated. I stopped only after I had marked the envelope several dozen times. I was incredulous. The Devil's Team's mind is so governed by interesting tactical situations and unique races that they have no other style of development.

But when I wrote that in a Tavern post, I was denounced. I was told that children would now play only DCSS and I was asked whether that wasn't, after all, better than playing no roguelikes at all? If removals were what it took to make them pick up a roguelike, wasn't that a good thing?

It is not. DCSS will not lead our children on to NetHack or Poschengband. It will not lead them to Sil or DoomRL or Infra Arcana.

Later I read a lavish, loving review of DCSS by the same Edmund McMillen. He wrote something to the effect of, "If these kids are playing DCSS at 11 or 12, then when they get older they will go on to play The Binding of Isaac." And he was quite right. He was not being ironic. When you play DCSS you are, in fact, trained to play The Binding of Isaac.

Our mountain dwarfs and our genies and our Pakellas are being removed, and the causes are very complex. I'm 2 million turns old. In a lifetime of ascending MuMos, I've seen the definition of roguelikes debased. There's very little authentic development of the genre remaining. My ancestor came to me five thousand turns ago saying she'd been in a dungeon in which the player ghost spent nine hundred turns saying that permafood was bloat. These aren't even good removals. It's insufferable.
>>
Is Roxanne a guaranteed spawn
My Octopode needs Statue Form reeeeeeeeeeee
>>
>>158156697
no
>>
File: a man of culture as well.jpg (162KB, 1024x576px) Image search: [Google]
a man of culture as well.jpg
162KB, 1024x576px
>>158096870
>>158109285
>tfw you recommend Songs From The Wood as tunes for a Sil player which then inspires anons to create OC for /rlg/
>>
File: riddle.png (1MB, 2000x1030px) Image search: [Google]
riddle.png
1MB, 2000x1030px
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Let's do our best today!
>>
Slav roguelike:
>stats: misery, poverty, liver
>food clock is drunkenness - getting sober causes increasing penalties and finally suicide
>classes: bydlo, priest, hobo
>if your poverty stat is low, you risk getting mugged
>if your misery stat is low, NPCs may randomly turn hostile, calling you a faggot
>the higher your liver stat is, the faster you sober up
>when attacked, defending self with a weapon stronger than assailant's will make police turn hostile
>open world, but there is nothing to do
>you can marry a woman and sire children, but both will eventually grow to hate you and turn hostile or run away

Name: RLussia, PoRLand or UkRLaine
>>
>>158157421
>tfw played so many strategy games set in Europe my knowledge of American geography has suffered considerably

Also I'm not sure I would've ever gotten "sigh" from that. Would've figured it was some weeb character I've never heard of.
>>
>>158157449

Just call it "GopnikRL"
>>
>>158156890
Boring
All I have left is Vaults and Depths and shit and no Statue Form is fucking killin git
>>
>>158157641
It's Ohio.
>>
File: Arcadia.png (422KB, 1154x891px) Image search: [Google]
Arcadia.png
422KB, 1154x891px
>Game gives you the choice to save a guy in mythology who got fucked over for no reason
>Everybody chooses to fuck them over themselves because they get a free waifu for doing so.
>>
File: Rlg_logo.png (6KB, 561x600px) Image search: [Google]
Rlg_logo.png
6KB, 561x600px
Hey lads it's time for another iteration for the /vg/ League!
>What the fuck is this?
A virtual soccer tournament where various generals of /vg/ play against each other. I've managed /rlg/ in the last two tournaments.

I'm here to see if the general wishes to participate.
Vote here http://www.strawpoll.me/11485582

Here's some links to our team page and past tournaments
http://implyingrigged.info/wiki//vg/_League
http://implyingrigged.info/wiki//rlg/

This is also a great time for roster changes, so make your suggestions as to who should be sacked and who should replace them!
>>
>>158158163
Yes I did eventually figure that out. It's how I knew the third image was "sigh".
>>
I love roguelike like Binding of Isaac, Gungeon etc. I'm new to this thread but wanted so say hello everyone!
>>
File: party 2.png (12KB, 754x449px) Image search: [Google]
party 2.png
12KB, 754x449px
Also, not sure whether I should get rid of the Wisp of Huo Shu at this point. I still have another portal I have to do. Something sanctum, and it's a red portal. I feel like I've been in there but I don't remember what the enemies were.
>>
>>158158506
fuck off
>>
>>158072479
((slash/buff attack + rabblerouser) | (ghost pierce + swiftness + mobility) | (ice/impact attack + headwind)) + leadership + on-hit delay passive + choking veil
that's 5-6 abilities focused on getting as many attacks in as possible
fill the rest with debilitating veils/on-hit passives (stun/silence/sleep/paralysis/panic) (probably prefer veils if you're a hero vs. summoner+minions) or dash/juggernaut to get in asap and get bonus defense while using ghost pierce
>>
>>158158729
If you're still on the third floor, it's Vikhor's sanctum.
You got a malingee, so it'd be better to keep around to deal with future fire enemies. The will o wisp becomes less useful by that Sanctum, though, but there are some times where it can still do okay damage. Alternatively, the huo shu can be kept for dealing fire damage.
>>
>>158158276
In my experience it's more like
>he can only watch in horror as the person helping him is mauled beneath a million dogs
>he's next
>>
>>158158276
every demon poster in /rlg/ talks about making a deer tank instead of going with waifu
>>
>>158158276
huh I didn't know that that is the only way to get Artemis, great to know
>>
Is there any reliable way to get Haste before Viktor?

I adore haste, not sure if I adore it enough for triple physical weakness.
>>
>>158160057
All I can think of is starting as the buffing orb of power. For all I know right now, it's an ability of the imbued (i.e. more powerful blessed) modifier.
>>
>>158158506
not a roguelike
yeah sure, go for it
>>
File: Vikhor.png (177KB, 1154x891px) Image search: [Google]
Vikhor.png
177KB, 1154x891px
The first time I capture Artemis is also the run where I capture Vikhor for the first time. But now I wish I saved the Wisp so I could give him Ghost Pierce. Is that an essential skill for him, or do people build him a different way? Slash dance has a cooldown so isn't he kind of vulnerable without ghost pierce?
>>
>>158161715
Wait a minute, it doesn't have a cooldown. It's also not a dance. Fuck, why can't I into brain.

Vikhor almost died of poison while running away so I had to burn a pure stone on him.
>>
>>158161981
I have actually killed Vikhor before while linking with him. The "Vikhor flows with new power!" message still showed up in spite of his death.
>>
>Encounter Zar
>Do the mandatory Zar negotiation to get Calm on my healer
>He asks me to move closer
>It ends up putting me in a spot where the other Zar can't pounce me.
Why are Zars such traitors? Also, holy crap, my Asrai and Artemis just chunk everything.
>>
With how many races have you finished dcss?I've yet to win with a demigod
>>
>>158162708
I have only won with vine stalker, tengu, minotaur, and merfolk.
>>
>>158162708
how the fug? you won a felid, but not a demigod?
>>
>>158162765
tengu is pretty difficult and fragile desu
>>158162857
felid are pretty strong with statue form not to mention their many lifes
>>
>>158160224
>it's an ability of the imbued (i.e. more powerful blessed) modifier.

I've never heard of this. So basically its an orb only thing?
>>
>>158163023
Only if you want it guaranteed early on. Later in the game there are stronger versions of early modifiers.
>>
>>158162857
Felids are so good they get boring fast on their own, which is compounded by the fact that they have so little to do.
>>
Is there anything fun to do as far as merging unique demons onto anything? The modifiers look interesting, but I have never seen or heard of *anyone* doing this.
>>
>>158158276
what game? google doesn't give me answers
>>
File: 1461831104590.png (12KB, 721x54px) Image search: [Google]
1461831104590.png
12KB, 721x54px
>>158162708
Haven't done it with these guys yet.
>>
>>158163760
Headless's modifier is pretty good for many hitdudes. Headless himself is a solid party member even into the midgame. I haven't seen much meta in regards to unique modifiers yet, especially given how only the first few start to fall off in the end game.
>>
>>158163765
Demon.
Pretty nifty game due to the fact that about 98-99% of enemies can be turned into summons, and 98-99% of abilities encountered can be made yours.
>>
>>158163760
Usually I throw them onto something when I would otherwise get rid of them. Not sure if stormy kitsune or whatever was actually good, but it's better than what I'd get from just dumping cocoa.
>>
>>158163989
ty
>>
>Realize I forgot to start a link with one of the Neros in a pack
>The next enemy I run into is a hero
Dodged a bullet there.
>>
Should my draconian transmuter use shields? I never fully understood the shield system
>>
>>158166337
Bucklers sure.

In general though you're not gonna spend enough time un-transmuted to warrant heavy shield investment.

The new shield system is basically that 1 shield point = 1 evasion point.
>>
>>158164936
>Encounter a second Nero pack
>Forget to link again
>Proceed to run into Python
I'm like fucking Neo.
>>
Also, the Python fight is so tedious. You literally have to run around in circles and lure all his allies away, then pick them off one by one before you attempt to link with him.
>>
>>158167087
Unless you have a good team, like 2 light smiters, in which case you don't need to pick his allies one by one.
>>
>>158167087
>recruit ruhin
>walk in with your dudes
>tell them to attack one of his buddies
>repeat until he's alone
>walk away, rest to heal your demons
>link with him
>>
>>158167271
You still have to run in circles because Python isn't just gonna stand there and let you shoot at his allies. He'll whack you pretty good.
>>
>link with chaos for the first time
Oh, now I see why it is a feared link.
>>
Are there Jiyva altars in 0.18?

>>158166426
>>158166337
>draconian
Probably no, since you'll be using dragon form. If you were rolling with bloatform, then yeah sure.
>>
File: demon team.png (184KB, 1080x720px) Image search: [Google]
demon team.png
184KB, 1080x720px
>>158163760
I do fusions using uniques very often.
Every game:
Python (I've revived Python so I could get 2 Cthonic demons before.)
Most games:
Headless
Sometimes:
Ninkasi
Reprobus
Miodchaoin
Ccoa
Never ever:
Everything else, including
Vikhor (Squishy as fuck. Speed boost is nice, but keeping him alive long enough so I can fuse him to something worthwhile like an Oni is too much effort.)
Artemis
>>
>>158167375
His attacks are mediocre, he can't hit all that hard. He mostly just drains turns.
He has AoE, but if you send a tanky dude, such as headless, at him to occupy him, then blast away at range while healing the tank, his team will run out of SP soon.
>>
File: party 2.png (61KB, 1154x891px) Image search: [Google]
party 2.png
61KB, 1154x891px
He never even got into attack range because my Asrai has Headwind.

So the obvious thing to do here is to delete the malingee. The problem is, I suffer from "everything in my party is weak against fire" syndrome if I do that.
>>
>>158168093
Artemis is shit so you can delete her instead.
>>
>>158167087
Wha?
>recruit ruhin
>kill water shitter effortlessly
>enslave python while his rock shitter flails away helplessly on you
>recruit solid rock shitter if you want

Had no troubles at all.
>>
>Link with Holy Nero
>Its pack was the last enemies on the level despite it only being half explored
>Decide to just skip
>Portal informs me that the entrance to another dungeon branch is on this level
This game just doesn't want me to recruit any neros.
Also, what kind of garbage is Our Sanctum filled with? Is that the one with the Glitches?
>>
>>158169309
It's the glitch sanctum, yes. I only go there if I'm feeling daring and I have no problem killing Anomaly's residents.
>>
File: Gank.jpg (130KB, 1834x986px) Image search: [Google]
Gank.jpg
130KB, 1834x986px
You FUCKING

WORTHLESS

GODDAMN

SHIT

ONE TURN
>>
>>158167556
Really? I've been using statue form way more. With it my AC is 37, compared to 20 something for Dragon.
>>
>>158169420
I have two smiters but the first encounter was all four element dudes plus a glitch. Is that normal? If so, I don't understand how people can put up with this shit.

And what do the element enemies have to do with "anomaly" theme-wise?
>>
>>158169852
It is normal for them to spawn with them, yes. They spawn with most other Anomaly demons.

I am not quite sure about the theme, but aside from the earliest two Sanctums, they cannot be found anywhere else in the game. They can spawn outside of Anomaly as Ludoc's summons, though, usually on Tower:6.
>>
Why do Chaos only have three abilities? Like, I still might recruit it anyway because it's the first source of Draw Wounds I have seen all game.
>>
>>158158276

stagzoned
>>
>>158156474
le most ebin jk rowling & steven king edit of our time good sir *le tib*
>>
>>158157421
ohio go sigh mast. rswamp!!!
>>
>>158170502
it's r-algae you fucking plebian
>>
>>158169501
lmao git gud
>>
File: Madevra.png (24KB, 626x578px) Image search: [Google]
Madevra.png
24KB, 626x578px
It suddenly occurs to me that my party is almost entirely physical damage.
>>
>>158171121
I have literally never managed to kill her.
>>
File: 1460265406595.jpg (304KB, 2400x1030px) Image search: [Google]
1460265406595.jpg
304KB, 2400x1030px
>>158157421
>>
>>158170321
why does any demon only have three abilities
noob
>>
>>158171221
She is a bit tougher than Zaiji; half the time it might not be worth the effort. Infection helps hinder her healing from guilt, but she has a good chance of resisting it. A raiju can finish her off quickly. Like Zaiji, she is very vulnerable to max HP drain attacks.
>>
>>158171221
My Profane Easg Saint has Wraith Touch so she'll go down eventually. Will post screenshot of her maxHP when she's almost dead.
>>
>>158171372
>but she has a good chance of resisting it
She can also purge it with Cleansing Cut.
>>
>>158171305
This isn't /d2g/. But I'm glad you added a picture of a pretty girl.
>>
>>158171554
Oh wow. What a clever addition.
>>
>>158158276
People actually choose Artemis? Actaeon makes a pretty decent meme tank while Artemis is a mediocre back-liner.
>>
>>158171705
You always pick Artemis as heart because she is the single best Revelation target in the game. You can also eventually do the Chthonic Artemis meme.
>>
>>158171705
Artemis looks pretty OK on paper, like you can stack tons of +on-hit on her. It's only later when you realize that her stats are terrible and she runs out of SP as soon as combat starts.
>>
>>158158142
try zig
>>
>>158171849
>You can also eventually do the Chthonic Artemis meme.

I know what Revelation does but what's so great about Chthonic (sp) Artemis or using revelation on her?
>>
>>158173046
Most of the abilities granted by revelation to Artemis are actually things you'd want on Artemis. The Chthonic modifier gets rid of some of Artemis's weaknesses and gives her better cunning for applying statuses.
>>
I have been taking my time trying to figure out the patterns of stats distributed in leveling up in Demon. So far I have only found patterns in freybug; I have also managed to level up echeneis and goblin almost as much as my best unmodified freybug, but I have yet to figure out their stat patterns. They tricky thing about keeping around the early demons for so long is the EXP decay; even if they only have one weakness, they tend to be weaker later on in the face of things like centaurs and chachapuma.
>>
P.S. more like I think I have found the patterns in freybug. What I have found is not definite but seems like how it levels up. Echeneis always gain 1 point of agility.
>>
The first summoner I encountered was the heart user with a bunch of fire skills, and since Madreva was on the level still, I have to dodge the level. Also, my entire party is weak to fire so fuck that.
>>
Is Anomaly only 3 levels?
>>
>>158174053
Yep! The Sanctums that can show up (Python's and the glitch one) are more or less part of it, though.
>>
>>158173330
>>158173820
>>158173873
>>158174053
Shut up you huge gay retards.
>>
>>158174129
Not yet.
>>
>>158173330
>>158173820
whatever nerd
I just go by the demon's initial stats and modifier and that's that

>>158174129
nigger
>>
>>158174362
>I just go by the demon's initial stats and modifier and that's that
That's more or less all you'd need to know.
>>
File: artemis or A FUCKING STAG.png (28KB, 685x782px) Image search: [Google]
artemis or A FUCKING STAG.png
28KB, 685x782px
Does anyone have a pic of artemis stat screen? I would like it for pic related but I don't want to splat my current summoner. Not sure what to put for first panel though.
>>
File: 9 19 artemis.png (23KB, 408x510px) Image search: [Google]
9 19 artemis.png
23KB, 408x510px
>>158174469
I've got a screenshot for nearly every single encounter, so you can ask for whatever whenever you'd like.
>>
>>158169852
The anomaly is supposed to be home to "incomplete" demons. The elementals fit in as they are like unrefined raw materials present in everything.
>>
>banished to the abyss
>I sacrificed stealth
This is how I die. They just keep fucking coming.
>>
>>158174574
do you have all of the nu-demons
>>
>>158175652
I made it out. And got banished again.
JUST
>>
>>158174574
Do you have one for Foita?
>>
>>158175654
I think the only ones I don't have are a few of the starter demons, some of the Anomaly encounters, and a few of the hidden demons.

>>158175465
Wow. That makes a lot of sense.
>>
>>158176018
That's one of the few I don't have. I keep on noticing its absence and yet I have yet to remember to bother. I'm not playing at the moment and I currently have no game; I splatted to some chachapuma. I might get you it tonight.
>>
>>158174469
>implying Actaeon would fair any better against Madevra
You either need the Fetch Dreamstalker cheese combo, a shitload of electrical damage, or a light resistant veil tank. You might actually need light immunity; I don't know how strong her ability to apply guilt is.
>>
>>158175956
>>158175652
Round fucking 3. Holy fuck I hate these elf sorcerers so much. why wont they just let me leave?
>>
>>158176327
She has no problem applying guilt onto nearly anything she can hit. Also, I think the only light immune demons that can spawn by her latest floor are easg saints, aithir, and angels. They're not quite the strongest frontliners.
>>
>>158176327
ya I was thinking of replacing Madevra with a pack of Foitas who will fuck actaeon up in anomaly with their fire damage.
>>
File: nice bloat.jpg (76KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
nice bloat.jpg
76KB, 640x480px
>>158158142
>>158169839

>using bloatform
>ever

nice
>>
File: 9 19 angel.png (17KB, 325x500px) Image search: [Google]
9 19 angel.png
17KB, 325x500px
>>158176679
Maybe you should put in angels too. He's weak to light attacks. This will be a supreme meme.
>>
>>158176793
He's weak to literally everything. Basically a buff wisp with worse resistances. At least Artemis is a ranged attacker at a time when that's uncommon.

I don't know why rlg likes him so much.
>>
>>158177053
I don't think he's that well-liked. I have mentioned I have managed to ascend with him once. I got a feeling I'm responsible for all of this nonsense.
>>
>>158176468
At least you're getting a chance to fight back, yesterday I got sent there then came back then i got
>Damnation
>Damnation
>Damnation
to death. I should've used that scroll of silence tho'.
>>
>>158176793
>>158177053
>>158177159
Stop the bullying. /rlg/ is a ACTAEON GENERAL. People who like and choose Artemis are actually women and play non-roguelikes like FTL, BoI, Crawl and Rogue Legacy.
>>
>>158176468
this is why MR is the most important stat
>>
>not raiding mount olympus while riding actaeon and returning him to his human form after all the olympians are dead
>>
>>158178000

it's the most important stat if you have no skill
>>
How high does my Earth have to be before I can cast shatter?
>>
is CBRO extremely laggy for anyone else?
>>
>with Exorcist's Mien + Demon's Mien Actaeon can be one shotted with snuff out
It doesn't seem to work on preta for some reason, though. Will o wisps can be instaggibed too. I'll have to figure out how to take out tougher demons with light and dark resistances (well, I think someone figured it out).
>>
>>158157407
>Songs From The Wood
wow that shit's gay as fuck
>>
What is the main difference between Nethack and DCSS? Which one is more FUN?
>>
So I got a zar and a kasha, I noticed it won't let me transfuse the kasha to the zar. Is it because its weak against light attacks that it can't be made holy, can you not apply a higher level to a lower level creature, or what?
>>
>>158178471
Demons without weaknesses can't exist is why
Fiery Gandayah OP
>>
>>158176729
it's a fucking 0 ac octopode what are you expecting
>>
>Run into a pack of enemies with smite
>Loss half my hp in one turn
>Loss the other half before I can do anything
This game is totally possible to beat if you're weak to light.
>>
>>158179403
If you ran into them after rounding a corner then yea that sucks. Otherwise don't be a frontliner and you can win as pretty much anything
>>
>>158179403
Before the enemy sense was nerfed, mask was the ezmode.
Git gud.
>>
>>158179514
I was really just mercy killing myself because I wasted a shitload of credits on something stupid then accidentally let vikhor die. My team didn't have any coherent theme other than cheesing with turn skips from headwind and judge's mien to coast through most fights.
>>
>>158179403
You know spite works the same friggin way for dark damage right?
>>
>>158179935
You don't need a coherent theme if you have enough shekels to get one.

My most successful runs had almost no fused demons and not much ability copying. I ended up with a shitload of shekels I didn't need, because fast (de)summon meant even weak demons could be utilized well and never died.
>>
>>158180382
I don't know why I said that. It's more like, my team lacked threat diversity.
>>
File: 1467743535841.png (281KB, 1080x720px) Image search: [Google]
1467743535841.png
281KB, 1080x720px
>>158177725
Post gore.
>>
>>158050627
>Ruby Quest
>in my /rlg/
>>
>>158180719
>Picking Spite instead of Censure
Bruh, do you even want to do damage early game?
>>
File: 1471919633096.png (21KB, 404x229px) Image search: [Google]
1471919633096.png
21KB, 404x229px
>>158179098

>implying AC matters at all
>when bladehands/dragonform kill almost everything in the game in 1-3 hits

lmao'ing at your bloat
>>
>>158181153
The power to kill everything in the game in 1-3 hits is surprisingly underwhelming if its your main schtick, considering the point where you get it at.
>>
>tfw you can't even hug your waifu with your vestigial arms
>>
Can anyone recommend a good RL for Android that is not Pixel Dungeon or DCSS?
>>
Skills to take from Headless and put on Vikhor before fusion dancing?

>>158183483
Open the What to Play? pasta in the OP and jump to the mobile section.
>>
>>158183483

You can get Powder on Android, but the interface is kind of clumsy.
>>
>>158183545
leadership
diehard if u have some credits to spare i guess
>>
>>158180863
Ruby quest is so old it's at home in any board
I think I remember seeing someone doing a paper doll of ruby in the paper doll board
Whatever its name is
>>
File: 1471418337010.png (237KB, 1080x720px) Image search: [Google]
1471418337010.png
237KB, 1080x720px
How does Parry work exactly? Does the type have to match exactly? If so it doesn't seem that good, if not it seems quite good.

Suggestions on what to delete?
>>
All this demon talk is making me uncomfortable
It's like that time all the general talked about was Elona, for like one month
I don't enjoy this
Why can't you play a wholesome game without shitty tiles
>>
>>158185073

Oh that Elona phase was much, much longer than a month.
>>
>>158185073
Shut up you huge gay retard.
>>
>>158185073

Except Elona+ is actually good while Demon is horseshit. Whoever could save us now?
>>
>>158184956
>Does the type have to match exactly?
Probably just physical vs physical.
There aren't many cases where physical type needs to match anything.

>>158185073
When it's not FotM, it's DCSS. All hail FotM.
>>
>>158185431
Time.
Time will save us.
In time we'll be back to dcss.
It's just a matter of time.
>>
>>158184956
Rousing Cry is a wasted turn. Riposte may be juicy, but Vikhor lacks durability more than damage and parry covers his only weakness(though he can't parry ranged attacks).
>>
>>158184956
My Vikhor goes great, I deleted Cleave.

Atm he has Evade Step, Parry, Leadership, Pounce, Spin Slash, Juggernaut, and, eh, Venomous.

I'm a Light/Dark/Faithful Heart, so enemies usually have Guilt on them to keep him healed. I know it won't last well too long, but I love seeing Headless and Vikhor constantly speedboosting each other with Leadership.
>>
>>158184956
What are the three more?

>>158185431
Elona+ is steaming dogshit, it's just really addicting. Demon has a lot of flaws, including the boring looking tower and lack of tacticool terrain (which now that I think about it are problems with Elona as well), but the variety of builds and party composition, along with the unique combat, really makes the game much more fun to actually play compared to grinding up magic dart for hundreds of hours. Not to mention playing Elona+ as a roguelike, without resurrecting or grinding up skills/potential/money outside of combat, is probably actually impossible, unless you're our lord and savior, The Dick Man.
>>
>some powers have Light cooldowns
>some powers have Dark cooldowns
>think I can load up on Light and Dark abilities and use the Prayer thingy to recharge them both
>surprise, they're not two different cooldowns, they're the same exact cooldown with different names arbitrarily

Th-thanks Ferret
>>
So there is a bit of a balance issue in demon. In general, it's optimal to only have one or two attack abilities that lack some kind of cooldown in Demon, and have the rest be passives or utility actives. This means that a lot of modified demons have redundant junk(especially the physical modifiers), and that a lot of abilities(particularly the physical attacks with added effects) are just bad. Does every physical ability need to provide some kind of passive benefit?
>>
>>158186117

On the contrary, there is only one thing that's really, objectively bad about Elona, and it's not the grind - It's the fact that the randomized dungeons have an absolutely shit design and variety than even Hack does: you get the same six floor type recycles over and over and fucking over again alternating between "room with monsters", "monster house", "fucking nothing", and maybe if you're lucky a room with only Eleas or Yerles or Bears or Kobolds in it.

Seriously, why can't we have an engaging dungeon with things like vaults, dungeon stores, heck, even dungeon settlements or hidden passages that lead to bonus rooms? That's where Elona glaringly fails the most in.
>>
>>158186798
Physical itself isn't underpowered at all; 3-4 of the first unique summons are physically oriented.

I guess I don't see what makes physical have a unique problem in your example. Of course physical summoners have overwhelmingly severe problems, and extreme range summoners probably have it easiest (esp orb) but there isn't a problem with physical itself.

Also str is much better than magic for what it does.
>>
>>158186970

Just because Elona doesn't have the typical dungeon """""""""""""""design""""""""""""""" bloat like in Crawl that has numerous wikitavern neckbeards circlejerking about their next dungeon """""""""""""""design""""""""""""""", doesn't mean it's bad.
>>
>>158187529
>""""""""""""
This is my least favourite meme.
>>
>>158187169
he's saying that physical dudes are much better off stacking a bunch of survival passives or passives that improve your one or two active attacks, rather than stacking the hundred different flavors of attack/buff or attack/debuff or attack/magic, since the active attacks that you aren't using don't really do anything to help you
also physical attacks are less affected by weakness/resistance (and those weaknesses/resists are rarer) than magic attacks too, so magic users are encouraged to have a few actives of different types, while there's hardly any incentive for physical attackers to do the same
>>
File: 1476903818953.png (164KB, 413x352px) Image search: [Google]
1476903818953.png
164KB, 413x352px
>>158178409
You're gay as fuck.
>>
>>158188076
Physical attacks have smaller differences, but there's still cones, lines, movement attacks, and abilities + riders.

Its also better to build a caster with a bunch of passives generally, you can just get a different caster afterall if their resistance crops up. If this is about the main character, building him for damage is grossly suboptimal so it is not relevant.
>>
Is there any ability that grants heroism?
>>
>>158189228
play as a weaponmaster specializing in diggers

you can bury corpses for temporary bless, and at level 15 you get heroism as well

at higher levels there are some other strong buffs like resists, haste, and magic resistance too
>>
>>158189562
Whoops, I'm tired and meant to say "Is there any ability in Demon that grants heroism?"
>>
>>158189637
i assumed you were posting about crawl tbqh

although about crawl it would be a really stupid question since the ability that grants heroism is called "heroism"
>>
>>158188753
That he is, little loli.
That he is.
>>
1. If you fuse something onto a unique demon, is the unique demon then unable for fusing with its unique essence?
2. Do magical attacks that don't hit automatically, such as x Bolt, require dexterity or magic to roll to hit?
>>
>>158189828
yes they use "dexterity", aka agility

hit chance is always agility, debuff chance is always cunning
magic only affects damage
>>
>>158189828
yes
agi for accuracy unless specified in the description
>>
>>158189828
I'm pretty sure that modified demons don't pass on their original modifier if used for fusions.
They use agility just like everything else for accuracy.
>>
>>158183483
Short answer: there's none.

Long answer:
Hoplite has excellent mechanics but zero content (even behind the paywall), it might last you a few hours.
Ananias is complete shit. If you have zero standards you can check it out, otherwise don't waste your time.
There's an APK of Brogue floating around the web but the UI might be broken and make it unplayable.
Cardinal Quest 2 is mediocre and gets boring fast, but it's probably the biggest, least terrible one you'll find. Play it on Kongregate first, see if it's any good.

There's also Dweller and Legends of Yore, which I haven't tried out. They might be OK.
>>
>>158190140
As someone who plays hoplite every weel on the bus, I disagree about your assessment as to its duration.
It's not something you can play every day, over and over again though. Definitely low on content, but I think that works for it.
>>
File: Just_Another_Day_In_Tyris.jpg (325KB, 840x525px) Image search: [Google]
Just_Another_Day_In_Tyris.jpg
325KB, 840x525px
Just another day...
>>
>>158187804
What about (((((this))))) meme?
>>
>encounter a zombie hulk
>use a shotgun to kill it, taking serious damage in the process
>cut down by a massive horde featuring several more hulks
My mistake was lying low for a few days instead of just trying to outrun the horde immediately. I was hoping they'd disperse, but they never do that.
I wish they did. Either that, or reached some kind of critical mass and merged together, forming a goo pit. Having them camp outside my hidey hole indefinitely just feels like cheating. They shouldn't even know I'm here! I could have moved on ages ago! There are hundreds of basements out there that don't have a horde on top of them!
>>
>>158191806

They track by hearing and scent.
>>
>>158191806
Hordes just aren't all that fun. Too easy to spawn, too persistent.
>>
File: Free sleepxpee.png (100KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
Free sleepxpee.png
100KB, 1920x1080px
I love uniques.
If only robin and jessica and Ijib were there.
>>
File: a crossroads for meats.png (718KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
a crossroads for meats.png
718KB, 1920x1080px
So /rlg/ help me make up my mind

I'm at Depths right now, as a worshipper of Trog, and I'm getting ready to take on Pand or Hell

The question is, do I switch to TSO? I still want Trog to gift me with a Speed branded weapon but if I don't switch it up now I'm worried I won't have high enough TSO piety to really get the most out of him when I reach Hell

Another reason to hold out for Trog would be for him to gift me a Giant Spiked Club with good bonuses that I could then bless with my TSO gift, or should I just save that for the Demon Whip I'm wielding right now?

too many fucking choices mang
>>
File: 1460784077449.png (117KB, 1080x720px) Image search: [Google]
1460784077449.png
117KB, 1080x720px
Looks good.
Worth grabbing over something else I have?
>>
>>158192191
>depths 2
>9 ev
>with only 16ac
>11 dex
>ready to do hell
alright lad
>>
>>158192361
I didn't say I was ready, I said I was getting ready
I still need a golden dragon armour but those are common enough in Depths, just haven't found a butcherable corpse yet
>>
>>158157407
Buzz off you twerp, I've been listening to Jethro Tull for half a decade or more
>>
>>158192191
Trog won't gift you a speed branded weapon.
You should probably do the "main game" branches before doing the postgame stuff.
>>
What if MR scaled somewhat with spellcasting? Would that be a good change for melee/magic starting balance?
>>
File: beachfront property.png (1MB, 1832x1022px) Image search: [Google]
beachfront property.png
1MB, 1832x1022px
>>158192435
FINE
I'll just go on vacation instead then
>>
>>158192281
drop tormentor like a hot potato

>>158192617
fucking retard
>>
>>158192617
>melee/magic starting balance
I have no idea what that change would achieve, but it sounds really bad.
>>
File: 1476969646200.jpg (11KB, 202x249px) Image search: [Google]
1476969646200.jpg
11KB, 202x249px
>>158192409
I didn't mean it like that.
It's a great album and I'm glad I managed to bring those feelings out to the surface which resulted in great OC.
>>
File: Horse Centipede.jpg (143KB, 1829x984px) Image search: [Google]
Horse Centipede.jpg
143KB, 1829x984px
10/10 formation, would drain again
>>
File: balance crime.png (278KB, 1273x676px) Image search: [Google]
balance crime.png
278KB, 1273x676px
>>158163172

>Felids are so good

So good you want to kill yourself whenever you try playing it?
>>
>>158194301
Anon

You're a cat

You have sanic speed

You have carnivore

You have -40% HP

Why in the absolute shit are you going melee instead of just running away and blasting the living hell out of everything
>>
>>158194301
>cat of chei
>>
File: smashing.png (465KB, 1832x1022px) Image search: [Google]
smashing.png
465KB, 1832x1022px
>>158194301
>mfw a Felid wanted to be an ogre berserker near me
>>
What's the deal with people splatting MiBes MiFis and TrBes on D2 D3 and D4 on xtahua
I'm moving to underhound
I can't mumo like this
>>
File: But why.png (42KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
But why.png
42KB, 1920x1080px
Is it possible that some servers can't read some rc files?
How do I fix this?
I'm trying out Underhound, it's been working perfectly for months on Xtahua.
>>
Hell yeah, killed Madevral (sp) with my first char who ran into her.

Linebacker: Cththonic Vickor (sp)
Healer: Lifegiver Fairy
MVP: Charged Aeras
Me: Light/Dark Faithful Heart
>>
>>158194385

>Why in the absolute shit are you going melee

So you're a pussy both in the game and in real life.
>>
>>158194702

Tried to paste the contents of the RC, didn't work. It just didn't read them.

I'm confused.
>>
Wait, nevermind. I got this.

But that was just from copypasting the entirety of HDA's rcfile and I only wanted two things.
I think I can fix this myself though.
>>
Oh wait, apparently it works for any version on underhound, EXCEPT for .18
It works on trunk and .17 but not .18

God fucking damnit.
>>
>>158194593
pussy

>>158194720
coo
>>
File: 1471625136926.png (199KB, 1080x720px) Image search: [Google]
1471625136926.png
199KB, 1080x720px
First win! 3 magic maps and two portals adjacent to entrances for the last 5 floors. Skipped 16-20 entirely.

>>158194702
>>158194943
>>158195003
>>158195086
When you include another .rc, it "links" the .rc for the corresponding version and server to the .rc you are using. Each server-version has its own folder basically, and they can't search outside of that folder (you probably wouldn't want them to).

I do this by having a second account and copy pasting the contents of my includes into that accounts rc-file, then I just include the name of that account and make a new account/new .rc for new servers/versions.
>>
>>158195498
>having a second account and copy pasting the contents of my includes into that accounts rc-file
Run that by me again
>then I just include the name of that account and make a new account/new .rc for new servers/versions.

I still don't follow. Do I have to make a github page or something?
>>
File: stralya.png (146KB, 680x545px) Image search: [Google]
stralya.png
146KB, 680x545px
>Duvessa speaks Australian English

https://github.com/crawl/crawl/commit/6e2d87aff978e6bab2b3c940485c1672bbf66623
>>
>>158192124
Eh they're not too bad.
>>
>>158195498
I don't understand how a build with three body passives doesn't get horribly fucked over at some point. Then there's also people who also use poison needle instead of needle shot.
>>
Why don't we play Maj Eyal any more?
>>
>>158195914
We waitan for 1.5
>>
>>158194301
That is the dumbest build I've seen all day, congrats
>>
>>158195734
At the top of my rc:
#Collected HDA rc stuff
include += neizenel.rc

At the top of neizenel's rc:
####################
# Message coloring
####################

# Standard Colors
# black, blue, brown, cyan, darkgrey, green, lightblue, lightcyan, lightgreen,
# lightgrey, lightmagenta, lightred, magenta, red, yellow, white

# Variables for message highlighting
$danger := lightred
$item_dmg := red

etc.

HDA doesn't maintain his rcfile any more. He hasn't for quite some time.

>>158195907
I still did decent damage with Hex and regularly inflicted Panic because of my high Cunning.
>>
>>158195967

build?
>>
>>158196194
>Cannot find file "neizenel.rc". (~/.crawlrc:2)

I wonder if it's just me right now
>>
>>158196386
Probably because I don't have an account on that server.

Make a second account on the server, dump all the HDA stuff you want in it, then link it to your main rc.
>>
>>158196507
Ooooh. Alrighty then. Thanks!
>>
>>158195914
Ever since I won nightmare I just haven't had the urge
Temporal warden is fun as fuck though, even if I did have some space-time related crash once
>>
>>158195967
What's wrong with it?
>>
You know, I was thinking
is there some kind of unicorn or horse tile in dcss
or something that vaguely resembles a horse that's not just a centaur
>>
some nerd that won a reddit adom competition doing a chaos god win
ch.tv/sterroidss/videos/highlights
>>
>>158197031
You can check the spritesheet yourself, just download the local version
I don't think so, though
Elona has a few
>>
>>158197039
>reddit adom competition

Call me back when he ultras a troll archmage
>>
File: 1456663244103.jpg (45KB, 800x587px) Image search: [Google]
1456663244103.jpg
45KB, 800x587px
>>158197039
>reddit adom
>>
>>158197124
funny you should say that, one of the other entries was a gnome archmage, lawful ultimate
>>
>>158197234
gnomes aren't trolls anon
>>
>>158197331
get your racist propaganda out of here, anon
all lives are equal
except for minotaurs
>>
>>158197372
anon please
trolls are big hulking retards that hit things hard until they stop moving
gnomes are magic sissies that are inherently magic
TrWz is actually a challenge background now that you can't farm stats with herbs and crystals of learning anymore.
>>
> Weapon types no longer have distinct strength weights. Strength now only gives a bonus to damage, and dexterity only gives a bonus to accuracy.
dank removal. i, for one, will not miss the old stat formula.
>>
>>158197124
>>158197331
>>158197518
ADoM is literally the easiest roguelike in existence. There is no challenge in winning it no matter how much you gimp yourself.

I mean unless you count browsing a wiki or not killing yourself IRL out of boredom as skills.
>>
>>158197518
Didn't you do your troll archmage when you could still farm herbs and crystals, though?
>>
someone post the andor drakon tiles mspaint drawing
I can't find it
>>
>>158195907
You have like 6 demons dude.
>>
>>158197664

the dankest of the removals so far are rMut and slime vault walls
>>
>>158196914
The giving up the main advantage of a felid part?

>>158197518
Troll archmage isn't a challenge build, its a decent build. Gemology alone makes it worthwhile.
>>
the voodoo mask is so good, but looks so god damn stupid

just imagine obtaining absolute power at the cost of never being able to remove your big green derpy mask
>>
File: 1455464100389.jpg (91KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
1455464100389.jpg
91KB, 1920x1080px
>>158198012
>implying you wouldn't
>>
File: dindu.png (28KB, 1594x1006px) Image search: [Google]
dindu.png
28KB, 1594x1006px
>wake up well rested in basement bedroom connected to main room, which is connected to a hallway filled with traps leading to the stairs going upstairs into my barricaded house, and out into my fortified yard surrounded with spike pits
>turn on flashlight
>lashanda fernandez is standing in the corner, red @
>examine her, she's holding an M1911 and is fleeing from me for some reason
>pull out shotgun that I sleep with just in case this happens
>walk over to her
>she turns around and point blank shoots me in the chest and head
>luckily I was wearing my bone helmet and kevlar vest to bed, but still 36 and 49 damage
>shoot her in the face
did she fucking spawn down here or something, all my doors are closed, my traps aren't set off, and it's pitch black and she didn't have a light source, I'm spooked now, I felt really comfy in my underground lair but this bitch somehow got in and could have just killed me while I was asleep

Also do people even discuss cataclysm anymore
>>
>>158198371
They can spawn literally any where.
If you have dynamic NPCs on you have to put your shit in a crate to avoid retards fucking with it and forcing you to kill them.
>>
>>158198259
I can't quite tell from the art whether its supposed to be THAT mask or a big flat totem thingy. The Mask wouldn't be nearly as bad. The Crown of Glory also freaks me out, sticking to your brain n sheeit.
>>
>>158198441
At least you aren't a sentient sandworm
>>
>>158198430
I have them on at a very low spawn rate, at least. It's been 3/4 of a year and this is the first one that I've seen apart from evac shelter guy who I sadly had to execute. I guess I'll just continue sleeping with a shotgun and armor, it's pretty unlikely I'll get a hostile NPC spawning in my bedroom again anyway, right?
>>
>>158198804
The reason I stopped playing cataclysm like a year ago was actually a NPC spawning with a shotgun and killing me in my LMOE shelter
>>
File: 1451818241294.png (186KB, 1922x1256px) Image search: [Google]
1451818241294.png
186KB, 1922x1256px
>>158197709
>Didn't you do your troll archmage when you could still farm herbs and crystals, though?
Nope.
Public release 60.
>>
File: andor darkon tile.png (85KB, 2000x2000px) Image search: [Google]
andor darkon tile.png
85KB, 2000x2000px
>>158197769
>>
>>158198371
>did she fucking spawn down here or something
Yes.
That's the reason why dynamic NPCs is extremely annoying.
>>
>>158198371
NPCs who are afraid go hostile if you get too close dude.
>>
>>158198867
>>158199182
Good thing the good old click the X in the corner if something absolutely stupid happens like that. I can't be mad if I try to make a hole in a wall and the roof collapses on my head, but especially with the experimental builds sometimes things happen that straight up shouldn't. I don't see why they couldn't just make it so dynamic NPCs don't spawn within like, a kilometre of you or something.
>>
File: 1448396917086.png (6KB, 244x183px) Image search: [Google]
1448396917086.png
6KB, 244x183px
>>158199467
>savescumming
>>
>>158199510
>I used a bandage on my bleeding torso and somehow ran into a rare bug from the latest experimental that causes your torso health to be set to zero, better restart and lose that 20 hours of progress on that character
>>
File: angry ogre noises.png (4KB, 206x201px) Image search: [Google]
angry ogre noises.png
4KB, 206x201px
>>158199773
>SAVE
>SCUMMING
>>
>>158199817
s-sorry dad i'll delete my save and start again
>>
>>158197704

>Declaring ADOM easiest when Brogue and The Goblin King's Lair exists
>>
File: awoodance.gif (433KB, 350x343px) Image search: [Google]
awoodance.gif
433KB, 350x343px
>>158199879
That's a good boy.
>>
>>158199467
I just quit out of sheer disgust, honestly
>>158199121
Never does get old
>>
>>158195804
I started browsing the enemy comment file and apparently Donald has like 500 lines.

Also,
>orb Crazy Yiuf
>@The_monster@ says, "Wait for me!"
>@The_monster@ says, "You found it!"
>@The_monster@ says, "Get me out of this place."
>@The_monster@ says, "You came back for me."
>>
>>158200281
Huh, I wonder if that's if you let him chase you when you have the Orb? Or maybe for Xom followers in the same situation? Interesting.
>>
>>158200281
>>158200351
It's now canon that you need to rescue Yiuf from the dungeon after collecting the orb to achieve an Ultra Crawl Win

Don't forget that amulet of life-saving!
>>
>>158181153
>imfuckingplying
That's great and all for one enemy, but against giant groups of enemies (sort of like most of the game after Lair), keeping your HP up is way more important.

2 Spiny frogs and a few bad rolls are all it takes to end you if you're just relying on damage only, especially for a 0 AC octopode
>>
>>158199467
Unless you get killed before you can close the game, in which case you can still do it, but things will get WEIRD.

When you die, the world is instantly saved, but the character save isn't deleted until you click "next" a few times. So, if you load a save after your death, your dead body will be lying on the floor where you died, and your entire inventory will be duped.
Basically the same as finding your own bones file after savescumming in Nethack, except it's instant and reliable.

There isn't a morale penalty for butchering your own corpse, but there probably should be.
>>
>>158200351
If you're a Xom worshipper you can understand him. He isn't speaking gibberish, he says other stuff instead. But if you go to him during the Orb run, he'll say those lines regardless of if your worship xom or not.
>>
Are there any Demons who have piercing resistance and other resistances/weaknesses that aren't completely horrible? I was thinking it'd be really cool to use Cththonic Soul Armor and try to emulate one of those summoner hunter hero builds.
>>
>>158186404
Read the manual next time, senpai.

>>158199917
>Brogue
>Easy
This is bait, right? Brogue is fucking brutal, it's just much shorter. Any ADOM player with enough patience can take his time and safely grind stacks of healing items and resistances until all the checkboxes on the little endgame grocery shopping list have been crossed out.
>>
>>158199917
Retard.
>>
>>158200789

>bloatform against giant groups of enemies
>get double-triple tumed cuz muh AC amirite

lol
>>
>>158178215
(school skill*2 + spellcasting*0.5) = 55.7.

If you want a 10% failure rate at 32 int without Wizardry or any other boosters.
>>
>>158156474
Harold Bloom is a shit poster
>>
brogue is a really pretty looking game.
>>
>>158202249
>Everyone thinks ASCII is shitty letters that can never look good
>>
File: named.png (34KB, 587x60px) Image search: [Google]
named.png
34KB, 587x60px
What do the names even mean
And why the price variance
>>
>>158202851
Nice, wat game?
>>
>>158202947
Jure's piss is really expensive for obvious reasons.
>>
>>158202968
cogmind
>>
>>158198441
>he doesn't crave to be jim carrey in his role of a lifetime playing an invincible masked bastard
lmao look at this kid lying to himself
>>
>>158201176
people have been playing bands and hacks for so long they forget what the original rogue feels like, so they have this outlandish idea of what "roguelike difficulty" is supposed to be instead

http://donnierussellii.github.io/JSRogue.html
here, have a web port of the original rogue, complete with optional tiles, color and sound effects. give it at least one quick look. it's almost a moral obligation.

>>158202249
it is. but it's also too pretty for its own good. the colors make it nigh impossible to see your detection range and lit/dark areas, so you need to enable 2 (two) color butchering options and turn it into an ugly mess. not cool.

>>158202968
this is cogmind afaik. you can blame the dev for being greedy and terrible at gameplay design, but he does have an eye for impressive ASCII art, animations and UI.
>>
>>158202851
I think it might use more than the regulation 16 colors, but I will admit that cogmind is pretty.
I should probably try to get over my hatred of the developer at some point and at least try it.
>>
File: 1347234523.jpg (12KB, 534x336px) Image search: [Google]
1347234523.jpg
12KB, 534x336px
>you can toggle run in CDDA
>I've been walking away from hulks and meese
>>
>>158203591
You know 256 colour terminals have existed for almost 3.5 billion years now, right?
>>
>>158203591
https://mega.nz/#!mIkRQIQL!AjO2c7QdByPZfnbp9Zvi4d7eHwqmK4rnohZDB0haDmw
>>
>>158203167

I did say I liked that idea tho
>>
>>158198773
Poor Leto.
>>
What's a version of CDDA without the pants-on-head retarded "lifting update"?
>>
>>158202947

Those names and price variance are actually just for flavor purposes. They don't mean anything.
>>
>>158206425
>flavor

You mean bloat?
>>
>>158203591

Show me on the @ where the bad developer touched you.
>>
>want to try another roguelike other than dungeon crawl bloat soup
>far too lazy to learn a ton of new mechanics and die the one billion times it is required to gather enough meta knowledge to succeed
>back to otabbing
>>
what the fuck are vi keys? who the fuck thinks those are a good idea?
>>
>>158208803
people without numpads
>>
>>158200896
Scarabs.
>>
File: diamoooonnnddds.png (435KB, 800x600px) Image search: [Google]
diamoooonnnddds.png
435KB, 800x600px
>patch 1.5 is bringing pic related to ToME
>>
File: wew.png (2KB, 331x153px) Image search: [Google]
wew.png
2KB, 331x153px
>>158208803
vi-keys are objectively superior
>>
>>158209294
don't do this your knuckles will explode into mustard gas and candleja
>>
>>158208803
the point of vi-keys is to play/navigate with hands at the home row typing position, instead of having the right hand moving around to a numpad and/or mouse.

They're pretty logically arranged, too. The cardinal directions are HJKL on a single line, with the only hard-to-learn pair as K/L (the center two) for up/down. H is the leftmost one and goes left. ; is the rightmost one and goes right. y/u are your upwards diagonals (and are above the home row), b/n are your downwards diagonals and are below the home row.
>>
>>158210069

The way your hands are positioned when vi-key'ing is way less optimal to numpad and most likely bad for your hands too. Your right hand is positioned straight to the numpad making it more desirable
>>
>>158209248
Love the concept, hate the artstyle. Oh well, it's an improvement at least.
>>
>>158210417
>the home row typing position
anon if you have trouble with your hands being too close together in home row typing you should consider a split keyboard

it's literally where a typist's hands live
>>
>>158208803
Programmers who use vim all the time. I think it's a silly trend that shouldn't be forced. It blocks a lot of people out of the genre because of how unusual it is.

This is why I make WASD the default, or sometimes the only option for the roguelikes I make.
>>
>having a numpad
If you aren't playing on a toaster, why are you even here?
>>
>>158210596
I have a toaster though. I have 1 Gb of ram.

You know keyboards have numpads, right
>>
>>158210417
>>158210553
btw I don't suggest this as mockery
I use one myself
>>
>>158210596
numpad is godtier movement. WASD and arrow keys are inferior in everyway. Move with your right hand and blast dudes with your left hand.
>>
>>158207021
When I heard that the developer had deliberately set the price obnoxiously high, not expecting people to pay it but hoping to generate discussion, I was so offended that I decided I wouldn't even pirate it. I felt that if I downloaded it, I'd be playing right into his scheme. Participating, in however small a way, in the generation of hype.
Basically, the only way to "win" at the stupid mind game he had set up, was to refuse to play.

I feel pretty much the same way about Adobe allegedly not caring about individuals pirating Photoshop, because once they learn to use it they'll want a licence to do any serious commercial work. Fuck those guys, I'm not pirating anything until they apologise for the ridiculous price they asked.

>>158203954
Well, thanks, I guess. I'll think about it.
>>
>>158210860

How is tilting your right hand at an awkward angle in any way good when numpad is an option? I don't get it
>>
>>158205648
What lifting update?
>>
File: retard anon learn to read.jpg (51KB, 750x500px) Image search: [Google]
retard anon learn to read.jpg
51KB, 750x500px
>>158211303
you are Int 1 ***BRAINLESS*** and did not read, you retarded kobold
>>
>>158210734
You should either be using a laptop, or the kind of narrow-form-factor keyboard they sell for coders, with plastic flaps in all the keys to make them louder.
>>
>He hasn't saved Yiuf and ascended with him, brothers in arms
What is your excuse, naga?
>>
>>158211769

>buying a special snowflake keyboard
>when numpad is an option

shiggy
>>
>>158213390
>having a shitter crap-paying job that doesn't involve heavy keyboarding
>>
>>158213479

>implying you have a job
>can't even buy a 5$ keyboard with a numpad
>>
File: 1450329985887.jpg (286KB, 1600x1200px) Image search: [Google]
1450329985887.jpg
286KB, 1600x1200px
>>158213479
>having a sedentary job
>sitting in a chair all day hunched over
Enjoy your carpal tunnel and bad posture.
>>
>>158213479
>having a shitter crap-paying job that doesn't involve heavy keyboarding

>having a white collar job

Well, at least I don't have your fat gut.
>>
>>158213723
>>158213759
>>158214268
>>
>>158214450
What did he mean by this?
>>
>>158214450
I don't understand, but then again I don't really care.
>>
>>158214450
I'm not sure what this is supposed to be, but the person in that picture is still sitting down
>>
File: post roguelikes.png (38KB, 1054x606px) Image search: [Google]
post roguelikes.png
38KB, 1054x606px
I have a crazy idea:
Instead of shitting up the thread with work talk instead post roguelikes.

Also why did I start another PCB character and why is it a mage
>>
>>158214952
>Also why did I start another PCB character and why is it a mage

Same reason because you're not playing pseudoelliposchengmpaband and you're jsut playing boring poscheng.

Because you hate yourself.
>>
>>158215378
i'm playing elliposchengband because anon hasn't updated pseudo
>>
hmm you might be right about the hating self part

maybe I'll scrap this mage and start a lazy sorcery rogue instead. I've still never assembled the lazy 3 and I want to. Rogue and sorcery realm are ideal for safely sniffing out items and counteracting some of lazy's weaknesses until one can go for morgy (heh, the easiest one of the 3). Also a rogue can actually get an okay-ish number of blows with the Stick, unlike a lazy mage which would still cap at 4...though they could probably do pretty great things with the energy use nonsense of the yumi.
>>
>>158215460
>i'm playing elliposchengband because anon hasn't updated pseudo

Bullshit, it's been updated to 5.0.2 like two weeks ago.
You probably just have the old link
>>
>>158215848
oh I just saw that ellipos merged something 2 days ago
>>
File: Untitled.png (147KB, 1096x758px) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.png
147KB, 1096x758px
Was tabbing and not looking like a tard, Guessing a lot of people don't continue their cycle?
>>
>>158211290

That...is the weirdest excuse to hate someone. I can understand not liking the price but all that other shit...wow.
>>
>>158215906
oh come on you can't be that anal about updates

besides 5.0 sucks major balls like seriously what the fuck

Making a skinner box game less grindy?
What is even the point? Chris has gone insane.
>>
>>158215998
Why haven't you updated to the newest version?
>>
>>158216048
I didn't see until now that the ellipos merge was something in d_info.txt so probably some minor thing related to his unified dungeon setting, I assumed it was something more substantial or some new quality of life addition

checking now to see exactly what the merge was but probably I'll just set up pseudo
>>
File: panic.gif (990KB, 176x135px) Image search: [Google]
panic.gif
990KB, 176x135px
>>158216284
AHH
AHHHH
anon I want to help you but I have no idea
I've been curious but never played Demon

Ahhhh

Yes? No? Maybe so!
>>
Do Will o' Wisps in Demon have a HP penalty if you use them as a soul armor? They are level 1 with vitality 9, but no speed bonus so I assume the problem (28 hp) is that.

Either Cththonic Carbuncle (slashing, impact, light, mind, cold vuln resist; or Holy Will o' Wisp (resist phys, resist light?, body immune, vuln lightning and darkness) sound like really nice soul armors, especially as I'm trying to recreate the shield paladin who wrecks whole demon armies.

Of the two, Cththonic Carbuncle seems like the overall superior choice, but total immunity to poison/infection/etc. sounds real nice.
>>
>pseudoellipos puts a 99% price reduction on RK
>also they lose all their spells and only keep their runes

What the heck. Now it's just a glorified warrior that can't bend the game. How is that fun.
>>
>>158216429
Sorry, I was reading your post and realized too late I responded to somebody's post.
>>
File: angry about orcs.jpg (5KB, 211x158px) Image search: [Google]
angry about orcs.jpg
5KB, 211x158px
>>158216429
>>158216482
Don't you make me look like a crazy person! I SAW IT! I SAWWWWW ITTT I SWEARRRR

>>158216517
Do they actually lose their spells? I kindof doubt it.... The price reduction thing is fine IMO, but the spells are part of the class. And I have no problem with some classes being just better than others as a challenge level thing...that's basically what the animal monster races are for after all (challenge races).
>>
>>158216656
>Do they actually lose their spells?

All of them, man.
They just keep the basic runes, lose all their SP and rune shit with their health.
>>
>>158216183
Cause I haven't?
>>
>>158162708
minotaur
troll
that one type of elf that they removed that was good at transmutations

i dont really play or have interest in playing most races
>>
>>158216745
man now that makes me want to run an elliposchengband (not despelled pseudoellipos) lazy RK just so I can put that sweet sweet death rune on the Stick and then transform into a demonlord and cast manastorm

or like, die to a crystal drake at 25
>>
>>158217041
actually the RK is a change of ellipos.

Not pseudo.
>>
>>158162708
naga
cat
demonspawn
high elf
spriggan
>>
File: balrog warrior winner.png (152KB, 1275x1107px) Image search: [Google]
balrog warrior winner.png
152KB, 1275x1107px
oh shit I'd have to un-nerf the stick first though
back to its old 1dHuge instead of 8d8, for weaponmastery abuse purposes

Must surpass my balrog that had Vilya pumping up a 1d30 Blade of Chaos[Wild]

And I've always disliked the Stick nerf...IMO in a game like PosChengband there's no real reason to reduce the scope of the win-more dream. A unnecessarily-win-more-eventually is already enough to win, so why not allow it to be more insane? Seems pretty arbitrary.
>>
>>158217228
>another fork
>adding yet another name to pseudoelliposchengmpaband
MADMAN
>>
File: pcb dragonmaster.png (6KB, 681x574px) Image search: [Google]
pcb dragonmaster.png
6KB, 681x574px
>>158217228
also I realized like 2 weeks after that serpent fight that I did the whole thing with 0% confusion resist, but never got confused. Ghahah.

Still had nothing on the speed of elliptic's entry in the latest oook andriod berserker comp. I watched the termcast and the whole fight lasted like 12 seconds, maybe not even. Amazing what you can accomplish when the serpent elects not to summon.
>>
Is it plausible for my DrTr to learn Shatter? I'm trying to get it online before Vaults:5, but i'm not sure if i'm gonna make it.
>>
>>158217640
Shatter is a very meh spell to rely on. Huge points detour, would absolutely not recommend teching up to Shatter in any situation.

The only time I ever endorse Shatter is if someone is going full earth mage, earth staff, possible statue form, possible crystal spear (leaning on earth in addition or instead of heavy conjuration). Don't expect it to handle crowds like Tornado, Firestorm, etc.
>>
>>158217640
No? You're already splitting pretty hard. just be a full EE. Iron shot easily wins.
>>
>>158217468
>elliptic
>playing androids
that's funny because he's the closest thing to a robot I can think of.
>>
>>158217793
not him, but isn't Deconstruction the thing to go for? Though I don't know crawl stuff much, maybe that's very far away from what Tms can do.
>>
Just decided to try dark orb and holy shit vigor siphon seems really good. How long does the maxhp bonus last? Im entering tower 2 with like 90 maxhp
>>
uhh, what did pseudoelliposchengband actually change from elliposchengband?

I thought anon said he reduced a lot of race and class (esp. caster) xp penalties, but just checked Zeus-parentage Mage in-game and in-code and it has same penalties as in vanilla
>>
>>158217836
Yup, Deconstruction is a good, efficient, cheap and semi low cost way to take care of all those faggoty super durable monsters. Its low level for what it does.

Contrast this with Shatter, which is a level frikkin 9 spell. Its very overpriced and over-difficult for what it does; the only logic I can think of to its placement there is that earth mages find it unusually attractive to specialize in earth magic above all else, and its to get a little extra mileage out of earth enhancer staves, earth school, not wearing armor due to statue form, etc.

The OLD point of Shatter was to summon a "solid" wall of wraiths and then shatter enemies through them safely.
>>
File: Roger_a_Muirebe.png (469KB, 642x414px) Image search: [Google]
Roger_a_Muirebe.png
469KB, 642x414px
>>158216024
I'm complicated okay!
>>
>take two steps into a dark room
>orcs on five sides
>SHIT SELF

there was probably a way to avoid this
>>
>Want to do a run with complementary rabblerouser+leadership demon with myself having the other half, an ice demon to chill and dark/light smite, a healer, a swap mind guy for delays, and a swap dirty needler
>Want copy saver and transpose soul while still being able to get the buff cuts and brain knocker
Build a relic workshop WHEN demon ferret man???

>>158217972
Later on you keep getting chipped by smite attacks and misses.
>>
>>158218128
>uhh, what did pseudoelliposchengband actually change from elliposchengband?

You know, I kinda forgot, really.

I just treated it as a precompiled ellipos.
>>
pseudo fucking what

where the hell do you people come up with these names
>>
man I don't really want to go in and cheepazoid reduce the xp penalties I dislike unilaterally. Was much less morally uncomfortable when I thought the normally-high-penalty combos I was going to try had been softened by anon in advance.

Definitely "fixing" the Stick, not that I'll ever find it, but ambivalent about the xp thing now, though I really don't want to grind out some super penalty char ughhh, regular game is long enough (even without having ever tried the morphine that was clone)
>>
>>158218728
https://github.com/GenericPseudonym/pseudoelliposchengband

I think you can figure out where the name comes from on your own.

>>158218752
ANON NO
THAT'S BALANCECRIME
YOU COULD GET SHANKED
>>
>>158218728
anon added pseudo to anon's branch of elliposchengband to indicate presumably that it's mostly similar but with some of his personal tweaks

elliposchengband is a usability-adding and more-updated-merge-with-vanilla branch of marvinpa's mpa-poschengband

mpa-poschengband was marvinpa's quality of life fixes branch of poschengband

poschengband is the fusion of possessor-band (PosBand) and Chengband

Chengband was descended from Hengband's japanese maintainer's copy at some point

Hengband descended from Zangband (Zelazny-Angband, because it added content from his books, while also adding a ton of ridiculous shit and starting the "wtf absurd" variant concept of Angband, thank you Topi Ylienen, may you ever curse us with your TY_CURSE (the AFC) and unmakers

And Zangband comes from Angband 2.???

Angband comes from the low-elf language Sindarin, and means Iron Prison, and was the deep underground fastness of Morgoth nearly out of range of the lights of the Two Trees of Valinor
>>
>>158218993
I'm pretty sure he added pseudo because his git name was "genericpseudonym"
>>
I'm drunk on Sunday evening. How this happened
>>
File: raw.gif (1MB, 477x252px) Image search: [Google]
raw.gif
1MB, 477x252px
>>158218993
sweet american jesus
>>
>>158219509
if you don't know how you got drunk that's kind of a big deal
>>
>>158219629
I was hangover in the morning, then I found few beers in the fridge. Drank them then got 2 bottles of red wine while getting groceries. Then went to pub for few
>>
>>158220073
>an alcoholic
>in /rlg/
what a shock
>>
File: 1358229059030.png (40KB, 616x118px) Image search: [Google]
1358229059030.png
40KB, 616x118px
>>158220328
No bully ol' Drippy. This is a safe space and she's had a hard life
>>
>>158216517
what? ellipos does that but pseudo shouldn't...
>>
>>158217185
Are you sure this change exists? Comparing rune_knight.c in pseudoellipos and regular pcb they still have all those spells, unless maybe some hook was changed but the garbage left not cleaned up?

Have you personally checked this anon? I think the spells are still there. I did see one commit that was about reverting RK nerfs about a month ago so maybe that was in for a bit and undone?
>>
>>158218128
only a couple small tweaks really

notably unnerfed runeknights, and hats with auto-id work like stone of lore in that they function from the inventory

https://github.com/elliptic/elliposchengband/compare/5.0.0...GenericPseudonym:5.0.2
>>
>>158218993
You forgot Angband is based on Moria.
>>
>>158221205
nah I was just explaining the root of the name pseudoelliposchengband, as per >>158218728
>>
>>158220989
oh yeah and the xp changes were a completely different anon. he just put his shit up on some file upload site i think, not github

>>158220891
the rune knight nerfs were elliptic's

pseudo merged all the other changes in from ellipcb and then reverted the runeknight stuff
>>
>>158220073
how do you have the money to do that
>>
How important is agility for magic blasters in demon? I'm heart/electric/healing if it matters.
>>
>>158223106
Electric can get by without it because most abilities have this "70% chance to hit, unaffected by everything".
Rest needs at least OK agility or they will keep missing.
>>
>>158220520
>>
>>158198012
That's what the description is alluding to. If you're ugly, you're lucky for finding the mask. If you're not, then you're unlucky. I would also think the mask is found by a lot of criminals on the run or famous people.

>>158198441
The worst is getting the Orb of Power if you're a woman.
>>
>>158223027
when you're a crippling alcoholic you find money for booze
>>
>>158223230
Yeah, I thought they needed it to hit, but this combo starts with all of four agility so I wasn't sure if it was important.
>>
>>158223532
anon please don't sell your ugly hairy butt to truckers
>>
>>158223569
As long as you stick to heals, electric and smites, it's OK.
>>
>>158223453
I suppose it would depend if the orb is huge enough to replace the tits or if its more like Iron Man's thingy.
>>
>>158218137
I thought the point of shatter was getting a FREE golden rune.
>>
>>158223230
what? elec has a ton of agi-depentent stuff, especially compared to flame orb/frost ring as nevermiss starting spells
>>
File: 1322447471453.jpg (62KB, 599x582px) Image search: [Google]
1322447471453.jpg
62KB, 599x582px
>Need headless for stuff
>Arcadia spawns
>Zaji and some other punk spawn instead of West in the tower

>>158223106
Depends. there's elec spells with a fixed accuracy. A bunch of light/dark and others have cannot miss spells. Basically if you're flinging shit at stuff you may want a smidge of agility late in the game
>>
>>158224019
I dunno, even Dispel Undead gets you a "free" golden rune depending on how you do it.

"I have earth skill and spell slots aplenty and I really like my earth staff, and I'm not sure what to spend my spell slots on, I like Crystal Spear, why not Shatter?" = right attitude

"Hey its a level 9 earth spell that does heavy damage to inorganic targets, I bet its like an earth attack comparable to Fire Storm" = wrong attitude
>>
>>158224313
Have you palyed since al lthe new tomb mons?
>>
>>158224703
If we're counting the new tomb monsters, then just shatter won't do it of course. Crystal Spear is what you really want.

By the time of V:5 I invariably have Firestorm and iirc Crystal Spear, and by the time of Tombs I typically have Necromutation. I just find it much more fun than the alternatives.
>>
File: 2016-10-23 21_55_42-JSRogue.png (52KB, 2553x1263px) Image search: [Google]
2016-10-23 21_55_42-JSRogue.png
52KB, 2553x1263px
>>158203274
I played it but then it crashed, that counts as a win right?
>>
How to deal with hp recovery on late/extended without Mak or TSO?
Or gods forbid zigg floors
>>
>>158225756
1. Don't get hurt.
2. Be demonspawn with powered by death and magic shroud.
3. Get troll regen armor and some regen boosting items and the regen spell.
4. All of the above.
>>
>>158225756
regen spell is like level 3 bruh
>>
>>158226190
>
I have tried regen with like 3 pips from max power and it was nowhere near as fast enough to take on zigg floors with anything that has torment even with statue form rN+++
I'm guessing it could work for normal dungeon floors depending on how many smiters and tormenters there are
>>
>>158226859
power only affects duration not hp/turn

and anyways when you're in hell the regen is less about in-fight hp and more about spending less time resting
>>
File: current character.png (36KB, 778x715px) Image search: [Google]
current character.png
36KB, 778x715px
Taking a break after getting this lazy zeus rune knight started.

I'm not actually the anon who posts a thousand Peltor ### chardumps to oook with the same name, I was just kindof making fun of that when I named this guy.
>>
>>158226859
Just to prove you can do decently well in Zigs without being a firestorming Makhleb/TSOite, I had my archmage go to Trog and used elemental staff for melee, I cleared the 17th level before things got too rough for me to be confident. I used a cloak of the thief for fog generating and a disc of storms for AoE.

I used to hear about a gargoyle fighter of Zin who cleared dozens of zigs, spammed recite (now impossible I hear?) and took out problematic types with impaling javelins. He avoided hellfire by keeping enemies near him.

Another way was to collect Tomb cards. Also defunct now.
>>
>>158223610
I still work so I can afford boozing. It's getting harder and harder to go to work every day though.
>>
File: Untitled.png (506KB, 1526x838px) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.png
506KB, 1526x838px
Ha! With Tabtaur you win!
>>
>>158227750
Just tabbed through roka's pack too. Got him with a lamp flame, bolt of acid then scattershotted him out of sight.
>>
File: Untitled.png (480KB, 1526x838px) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.png
480KB, 1526x838px
>>158227923
Flaming scatter memes wins yet again.
>>
File: current character2.png (97KB, 956x1712px) Image search: [Google]
current character2.png
97KB, 956x1712px
>>158227339
coming along a little further, though I really should take a longer break so I can get some of my actual work done

But I didn't want to leave up only a pic with an unruned weapon, plus I found this nice lucerne hammer[armageddon] to slap an acid brand on with a rune of water.
>>
File: zoqfotpik-sitting.gif (46KB, 485x213px) Image search: [Google]
zoqfotpik-sitting.gif
46KB, 485x213px
>>158227748
Get some help, anon
Give yourself something nice like a piece of chocolate every evening that you didn't drink, and put a red 'X' in your calendar to mark how strong you've been, so you can look back at it if you feel a bit lost sometime
>>
>sacrifice max hp to recruit python's ruhin
>think I'll be clever and suck it back out of python before recruiting
>accidentally kill him
I'm smart.
>>
File: 1466314034542.jpg (153KB, 648x720px) Image search: [Google]
1466314034542.jpg
153KB, 648x720px
>>158230782
>>
seriously what kind of heartless monster ever posts the sad/original version of cute girl becoming happy
>>
>Finally survive an infected start
>Got a safe zone and basic supplies, weapons, and armor
>Found a mansion for a ton of books I needed.
>Got screw, hatchet, wrench and under the hood andh alf a town to find a hacksaw
>Get fucking Rekt by an AR-15 NPC that is one of the gigantic fucking niggers that always show up after you've done all the legwork of clearing town
Yeah I think it's time to hang up my spear
>>
>>158230537
>SC2
Has there ever been a good roguelike about piloting a spaceship and fighting/befriending aliens? FTL came close but it doesn't really respect the formula.
>>
Can't believe the hard counter for Snake is just a vamp weapon
>>
>>158231312
I dunno anon, Does that sound a lot like rogue? No. No it fucking doesn't. Git the fuck out.
>>
>>158231312
I've mentioned it before, but Transcendence kind of embraces the roguelike spirit - it's a roguelite at best, but it kind of touches that feeling. If you're just looking for more of the 'strangeness' of SC2 I'll wholeheartedly recommend Space Rangers 2, an amazing game.
>>
>>158231839
the only real threats in snake are attempting it with 10/15/5/no rPois defenses or guardian serpent shenanigans
>>
>>158233120
oh and shock serpents without rElec, luckily those have poor MR
>>
File: massive hp.png (31KB, 609x507px) Image search: [Google]
massive hp.png
31KB, 609x507px
>when you get fetched
>>
>>158233309
How the fuck do you get fetched when you have an asrai with headwind?
>>
>>158233309
the d button is pretty good
>>
>>158233309
Did you not save a zar or jiang shi to face tank? That's as fault as not packing fire resist for anomaly
>>
>>158233309
>fluff explicitly says they're weak to light
>mechanical weakness is fire
>>
>>158233906
-"It is said" doesn't mean it's actually true.
-It might not mean they die, it might just be them hiding.
-Light attacks are not sunlight.
>>
File: ded.png (243KB, 1078x719px) Image search: [Google]
ded.png
243KB, 1078x719px
>>158233517
Same way you get into this situation: by being bad.
>>
I'm new to stonesoup and I want to build a full on anti magic charac, and a stealthy fucker who avoid combat, is it viable ? How do I go for this ?
>>
>>158237478
>full on anti magic charac
pick any recommended species for the berserker background (minotaur, hill orc, halfling, etc)

>stealthy fucker who avoid combat
ultimately you need to kill things to get xp. assassin and enchanter backgrounds are a good choice. the god dithmenos helps with stealth
>>
>>158237478
Pick berserker for guaranteed antimagic weapons
https://loom.shalott.org/learndb.html#hyperbolic
>>
>>158237478
If you want the full "stealthy fucker who avoid combat" that's viable, play Sil. Manual has the mechanics defined and it has a solid tutorial
>>
I'm going to tell you truth: Nethack is still the best roguelike there is. DCSS is crap compared to Nethack. DCSS is just: random character bullshit running in random maze killing mobs. That's all content there ever going to be in this game.
>>
>>158237940
>>158238131

Actually I was thinking more of an anticaster type of mage like silencer in dota

Killing enemy by debilitating their ass not necessarily by bashing their heads in by going full jenkins

Spriggan assassin seems a good deal otherwise
>>
>>158238354
if you want to shut down magic you could go hepliaklqana/hexer and learn summon mana vipers + silence. solid but not a real "anti-mage" type build, crawl doesn't have those
>>
>>158238638
ok thanks
>>
>>158238753
aura of abjuration is also useful, so is the warlock buckler (one of the best artefacts in the game) if you can find it
>>
Is there suppose to be a shoggoth in anomaly? Because I didn't see one.
>>
>>158239267
it's a somewhat rare OOD spawn
>>
>>158209248
that looks impressively terrible
>>
>Double random
>Prompts FoAs, I pass cause I can't play nor bear to play stabbers
>DsWn
>5 fighting and a +2 dagger
>Find the rand god altar
>Find some more melee gear, figure
>Get sif
>Find a staff of summoning but only books have been enchantments and earth
>Get shafted from d:8 to d:11 then find a bailey on d:10
>Go in
>It's the swarm one that swarms you with orcs, then orcs and orc warriors, then orc warriors and knights
>Cheese it with a 0 skill randart venom sling and a +4 blowgun
>highlight was running from an orc that used two scrolls of summoning and getting smashed by a zerked glaive orc warrior
>Only loot I got was a pot of HW and only cause I noscoped the orc holding it
>Found an ego ring mail and a cpa I can't use
>Lost curaere needles having to take it on
Well I got xp I guess?

>>158238354
Uh, Long blades vampire enchanter. You can roll with dith for double hex chances to shut down with confusion, discord, metabolic and silence, Hep hexer for additional hexes, chei for spellpower though you'll need to use a launcher then cause of movespeed. High elf arcane marksman's not too bad either. You really shit in people's cheerio's with leda's liquefaction, metabolic englaciation and passage.
>>
>>158238861
Seconding aura of abj, it's pretty necessary if you didn't get go evo and get rods/disc of storms with rElec + 22 evo, aura of abj, high level aoe spells, or divine aoe's. Fucking summons get atrocious and there isn't the L3 abj, rod abj, or staff of summoning abj on hit anymore.
>>
>>158238298
yea dung crap: shit stew is terrible
>>
>>158239906
you can also use lesser beckoning (extremely good once you get to 4+ range) to yank the summoner to your melee dude so you can quickly kill it
>>
>>158240158
Lesser beckoning?
>>
>>158240254
new trunk spell. L3 tloc, irresistible apportation for monsters, range depends on spellpower. enjoy it before the inevitable nerf! (my guess is they'll make it L4 or dual school)
>>
>>158240460
>spell that can't be resisted by monsters
B A L A N C E C R I M E

OFF WITH THEIR COMMITS
>>
>>158240460
>irresistible apportation
>>158240460
u fkin wat
>>
>>158241114
it's well designed in that spellpower matters. effects that are guaranteed to work under X constraints are more fun than MR checks, more spells should do this

>>158241283
it moves monsters next to you. it would be a neat spell to put on a unique
>>
so i can now roleplay as yellow ninja

this is good
>>
File: Untitled.png (400KB, 1526x838px) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.png
400KB, 1526x838px
>Just go up and down every time she summons
>bonk her with a 0 skill halbred
Nergalle is a complete joke now.
>>
>>158241852
their reasoning for removing ddoor was terrible, it made big difference in danger since her summons were much more dangerous than she was
>>
>>158227413
Eh, any solidly built lategame tabdude I've had can get to high teens in Zigs no problem. Aside from that one time a Z:5 Pan lord fucking stomped me out of nowhere. Still don't know wath that was about.
>>
how do people here deal with the parts of DCSS where you so strong and stacked on escape options it kinda gets too easy?

i can pin point exactly when that is but i feel like theres a pretty big area in my runs where nothing is really that dangerous because i can just funnel them or run or use some kind of item and its kind of a struggle to keep interested long enough to get to the fun stuff/not just mindlessly tab at things until i die and start a fresh, weaker, more fun char
>>
>>158242612
once you're good enough that becomes common, either play weak races or use strong races incorrectly (MiWz, etc), or use the gimmick gods
>>
>>158242612
Usually what I do is get in some stupid situation that's so fucked up I either have to burn a lot of consumables or die before I remember I have them.

Definitely keeps me on my toes.
>>
>>158242612
time to start speedrunning
>>
What's a good background/god/strategy for an Octopode so I can at least make it past fucking lair
>>
>>158242612
You start zigg scumming and then eventually die no matter your defenses due to forgetting about that paralyzing eyeball amidst the 1 billion enemies on later ziggs or the seething cloud of chaos you're standing in, or the that floor with 20 pan lords spamming all sorts of shit
>>
>>158243472
OpIE of sif.
If you can handle discretion, you can OpTM of an early chei altar or come back once your skills round out like d:9 or something so you have enough dodge that the dex boost keeps you alive.
>>
>check this thread after not looking in months
>everyone is STILL playing DCSS

it's not even that good wtf
>>
>>158244087
Not really.
I remember back in the days it used to be literally DCSS general.
Nowadays it seems there's way less people and they actually talk about other shit
>>
>>158244087
I gave up posting sil/forays/demon/dda when I play it.
>>
File: felid vs octopode.gif (4MB, 330x230px) Image search: [Google]
felid vs octopode.gif
4MB, 330x230px
>>158243949
I'm currently trying OpAs
The stealth, dagger and curare mean I can otab through most early things and even uniques besides taking on polearm gnolls, orc packs with priests and wizards and shit
I used to go with Gozag but he's so rng it hurts. Nothing feels more ctrlq tier than when he doesn't fucking give a single jewelry shop
What would be more reliable god, I just want something so later I can otab in Statue Form in peace
>>
>>158244087
DCSS is a solid base:
>easy to get
>easy to be OK at
>boring enough that you will want to switch
>>
switch to what tho'

demons feels too simple
elona feels too stupid
tome feels too bloated
>>
>>158244986
Oka, makh, chei
>>
>>158245404
dcss
>>
>>158245424
How to get good with Chei early though
Especially if I don't have even simple blink
>>
>>158244087
just post about whatever game you're playing
other people will talk about it most of the time
>>
>>158239770
i honestly couldn't match the terribleyetprobablyserious thing that's going on in that image
>>
>>158245495
so swtich dcss to dcss

also

is one way heroics any good? its the only rl /v/ ever talks about which makes me curious but its so anime and i dont like anime
>>
>>158245404
Demon is more fun than DCSS, though it has less replay value
Forays is more fun than DCSS, though it has less replay value than Demon
ToME is more fun than DCSS
DDA is more fun than DCSS
Not roguelikes are more fun than DCSS after you win it once
>>
>>158245404

Try Frozen Depths.

http://frozendepths.net/
>>
>>158238298

I'd argue that DynaHack or Slash'em in particular are one of the best of the bunch, but the Hacks are indeed unparalleled when it comes to coherent content and the right balance between said content and bloat. Disregarding Slash'em Extended, of course, which I still struggle to make heads or tails of beyond a couple games as a Lawful Male American Human Cop and his buddy the other Lawful Male American Human Cop.
>>
>>158245786
>DDA is more fun than DCSS
if this dark days ahead it looks fun. imma try it tomorrow thanks

if its not i dunno what dda means

>>158245958
this also sounds neat

the site makes it (and dda) sound like a refreshing change from fantasy races and magic
>>
File: Demon_13.png (12KB, 755x451px) Image search: [Google]
Demon_13.png
12KB, 755x451px
who delete
I linked with chaos just for fucks, and it didn't look like the enemies gave any exp for killing them which is gay

>>158246796
C:DDA = Captain: Dank Ducks Ahoy
>>
+4 arc blade or short sword of elec?
I worry I'll end up frying my Octopode
>>
>>158247789
Chaos. Teach Draw Wounds to a healer.
>>
>>158247789
Will o wisp isn't that good that late, isn't it?
>>
>>158247789
Unfused ogre is pretty bad. Unless those healers of yours are pimped out, they also are bad.
Artemis is a meme that you will regret, unless you pimp her out hard.
>>
>>158247789
What kind of enemies does chaos link create?
>>
>>158247861
use the arc blade once you get relec
>>
>>158248291
The other elementals, including aithir. They appear at a slower rate than the hounds and peasants, but for all I know it's a tough link.
>>
>>158248341
the blade already has it
>>
>>158248170
deer tank is the meme tho
I did pimp her out and she's great every time I do that

>>158248073
Wisp is ok, but I'm pretty much just waiting for him to die. He tanks hard against physical attackers. He also is practically required for the Actaeon/Artemis link

>>158248291
He just spawns regular Anomaly demons. I got a few fotia, digletts (including a modified one), aeras, and an aithir

>>158248436
They spawn one at a time so it's not that bad. Artemis pretty much locked each one down as they spawned so it wasn't bad at all
>>
>>158248446
oh right. just use it then
>>
>>158248436
How come I never saw an aithir in anomaly?

>>158248593
It's always funny when something steps forward to try some ranged bullshit(especially haunting chindis), then it gets instantly muted by artemis.
>>
>>158238298
The problem with Nethack is that Gehennom fucking sucks. I've ascended 10 times and have straight up suicided tons of characters in Gehennom just because I get bored of it and want to start a new game, it's pure tedium. If you make it to the castle chances are you have already won the game and the only way you lose if if you make multiple incredibly careless mistakes in a row.
>>
>>158248790
I guess aithir aren't a guaranteed spawn. They seem to be a bit more uncommon; for a while I thought they would only spawn on the third floor, but in more recent games I have seen them on the second floor. I can say the same for fetches, which I didn't even see until one of the latest versions of the game.
>>
>>158248792
Are you one of those DCSS shitters that suicide after making it past lair because "you've already won the game"
>>
>>158249136
I actually don't play DCSS but I'd like to get into it at some point.
>>
>>158248061
How do I get draw wounds to stop getting my shit killed?
>>
>>158249136
You wouldn't be saying that if you were decent at nethack. It's not a joke.
>>
>>158251178
Put in on shit that doesn't get killed.
For example, only pure healers, not healers - ones that stand a tile away from you when you're resting.
>>
>>158217793

>handle crowds like bloatnado
>can't even spam since it's bloat
>needs you to get near your target(s) which makes it more undesirable since squishies should never do that

Whoever gave you bloat users the right to talk shit about superior and actually useful spells?
>>
>>158252017
>using anything but bloatnado, bloatform, bloatgen, bloatblink, bloatstorm, disc of bloats
Back to your MuMos
>>
>>158245554

Get good
>>
>>158252426
>Get a disc of bloat in vaults
>Go mad with power
>Go down in a swarm that would kill a zot-tier character
>Didn't even have resists for half the shit I was getting hit by
The devs could have saved me from myself
>>
>>158254238
That's why you worship Bloatleb while spamming disc of bloats you fool
Scroll of Bloatlation optional
>>
>>158254795
But muh lord and savior Xommus Christ
>>
File: level 11 zombi.png (20KB, 445x498px) Image search: [Google]
level 11 zombi.png
20KB, 445x498px
You want a meme tank? I'll show you a meme tank.

Brought to you to the person responsible for the Actaeon meme in the first place!
>>
>>158255367
>frontliner with mind weakness
That is a meme, huh.
>>
>>158255367
>tank
>infectious bite instead of leech bite
>veil instead of reshape/malleable
really makes u think
>>
>>158255367
you sound buthurt that glorious stag is better than your stupid slut god.
>>
>>158256049
Nah. I'm just trying to ascend with a zombie.
>>
>>158249136
It's more like if Zot was 20 levels deep.
>>
>>158255367
What's prepare?
Not leech bite instead of infectious
No bloodthirst?
No infection, venomous, crusader, blood rot and the other one
Not giving it one of the buff cries?
Wasting a slot on spiny veil when you can't relic user str
>>
>>158256415
Prepare is a self-buff ability that raises defense by 25%.

Thanks for the critiques, everyone. I'll consider wiser options when creating future tanks.
>>
>>158256119
Gonna be a whopper surviving the fire, elec, and light users
>>
>>158256554
Quick dismiss helps. Similar to actaeon, it is decent for taking on ice enemies, so it will still see some use.
>>
>>158255367
That's so "Shitty demon with more weaknesses than resistances"
>>
>>158238298
I would probably play Nethack a lot more than I do if I didn't have to bother with price-ID or doing any of Gehennom.

For all the variants that have tried to "fix" Gehennom, I'm surprised at how none have outright removed or totally reworked it.

>>158249136
You actually can't lose if you are spoiled and have your ascension kit without intentionally killing yourself or fucking up hugely a half dozen times in a row.

>>158256142
Zot can actually be dangerous though.
Gehennom is only dangerous if you are sequence breaking radically.
>>
File: artemis or A FUCKING STAG.png (29KB, 690x782px) Image search: [Google]
artemis or A FUCKING STAG.png
29KB, 690x782px
Save it my friends :) Its all yours.
>>
>>158256740
At least it gets fughueg HP to make up for it. By that point it had more HP than freaking Miodchaoin.
>>
>>158256831
You actually can't lose if you are spoiled and have your ascension kit without intentionally killing yourself or fucking up hugely a half dozen times in a row.

the first/only time i got to castle i almost won, but i didn't notice that the amulet got stolen by Rodney and went up the stairs on D:1 without it

then i stopped playing
>>
>>158257020
I just kill them cause it's secretly a conspiracy to kill me
>>
What do you have to turn off/on in OWH+ to make it a roguelike
>>
>>158256831
>You actually can't lose if you are spoiled and have your ascension kit without intentionally killing yourself or fucking up hugely a half dozen times in a row.
So you *can* lose, even if you're spoiled and have all the gear you need. You can still lose in chess without being checkmated. No one forfeits if they know they can win. FUcking reatrt
>>
>>158257601
Perks and classes unlcoked at stat, no vault shit
>>
>>158255367
Speaking of Oppressor, is there any good fusion that creates a tanky demon whose only weakness is light? Because in terms of skills compensating for weaknesses, I think Oppressor is the best. Like, putting Oppressor on light weak demons is superior to putting Block Pierce on pierce weak demons, because most light users are weak to dark, which ups Oppressor's bonus to 37%, but it also works against other things instead of being an ability that ONLY compensates for a weakness.
>>
>>158257601
Dimensional Vault, don't replay worlds. I think that's it?
>>158257603
I'll just reiterate what anon said earlier, if you were actually decent at nethack, you would know that it's not a joke. The game is won before gehennom, and then you have to waste a bunch of time coasting through the most boring levels in roguelike history.
>>
>>158257804
Dunno but oppressor is kind of common so you'll get it in time
>>
>>158257819
>>158257749
What about the castel extensions
>>
What do you have to turn off/on in Elona to make it a roguelike
>>
>>158257804
Oni are weak to light and electricity, but giving them an electric modifier might make them a bit weaker at their main job. That's one thing I can think of right away.
>>
>>158257932
the game
>>
File: d4411.jpg (121KB, 960x506px) Image search: [Google]
d4411.jpg
121KB, 960x506px
>>158258000
trips confirm
>>
>>158257991
I'm still inexperienced at demon, but are there any modifiers like Brewmaster which give an esoteric mix of stuff and include Elec resistance?
>>
>>158258141
The only modifiers that give electricity resistance that I can think of for right now generally prioritize magic. Perhaps in the future there will be a unique with a modifier that gives electricity resistance but may prioritize something else (favorably strength and/or vitality). Quite a few of the hitdudes in the game are weak to electricity.
>>
>>158257804
You could fuse actaeon into something only weak to light, though I'm not sure if any demon with that weakness set is anything you want as a tank.
>>
>>158257897
Ghost pierce count as a movement ability?

>>158257932
If you're strict, it's a hard no. Otherwise inferno mode. Still no game over if you die in missions/arena though.
>>
>>158258571
>Ghost pierce count as a movement ability?
Yes it does. It goes with the will o' wisp's evade step.
>>
File: lazy zeus rune knight 3.png (81KB, 1155x825px) Image search: [Google]
lazy zeus rune knight 3.png
81KB, 1155x825px
The lazy rune knight is still alive, though probably/hopefully done for tonight.
>>
>>158258641
Yeah don't do the playing when tired thing.
Nice Ring of Combat buff.
>>
>>158258629
How do I https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RF7ONGguSeg ?
>>
>>158257804
solid zar
mind+dark res, light weak, common enough
in my experience though zars just burst into treats
>>
File: thanks.png (241KB, 1074x721px) Image search: [Google]
thanks.png
241KB, 1074x721px
>vikhor pounces into the perfect recruiting position
Shame I'm no good at actually keeping him alive.
>>
>>158258767
Oh wow. How could I forget about them? They're so damn squishy, though. Solid would help some, I figure.

>>158258739
Recruit Turdak.
>>
>>158258739
Swiftness Mobility Ghost Pierce Leadership Veils Juggernaut?.
>>
>>158258865
I have failed every single time I ran into turdak/vokhor . So how do I become the turdak?
>>
>>158258806
>2 on-kill heals on MC
Towards what goal?
>>
>>158259013
Not dying? I don't know what I'm doing with melee summoners.
>>
>>158258806
Can't you just block Block Pierce on him? I mean, he's still squishy because of his speed, but mind resistance makes him harder to stun to death.
>>
>>158259004
>Vikhor
This varies wildly; it all depends on what ground you have covered. He moves faster than you probably would be going at that point of the game, so you would have to try your best to lure him into a dead end. I usually don't bother to link with him if he is one of the very first things I see on a floor, simply because of how little I know about it.

>Turdak
He's pretty damn squishy. Having a heavy impact-hitter up next to him right after his leap is great; you should also have something that can reliably do heavy light and/or fire damage to him.
>>
>>158259108
You should get gofast skills.
There is no need to build your dude as melee just because he started as one. Crown has amazing relic upgrades that work on any type of character.

Melee MC sounds like a horrible idea and I can't think of a good reason to ever do that.
>>
Are there any non-unique, non-wisp battle dancer demons? And did battle dancers fall out of favor after the nerfs?
>>
the boss of the dungeon is a platina bell and I don't have any chestnuts

...what do i do?
>>
File: dancing raiju.png (29KB, 624x576px) Image search: [Google]
dancing raiju.png
29KB, 624x576px
>>158259490
I have a raiju who's literally dancing. Does that count?
If you're talking about demons who rely on using attacks that are movement abilities in conjunction with Evade Step or Juggernaut, then I can't think of any besides Turdak. But they're rarely used because of the nerfs.
>>
File: Untitled.png (252KB, 1096x758px) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.png
252KB, 1096x758px
>tfw healer is a lifegiver slime
>>
>>158260167
I don't know that feel

>>158259490
What do you mean dancing
Goblin is practically ready made to be a dodge tank, he just needs evade step and ghost pierce
Those vomitting little girls that follow turdak around dance too
>>
>>158259793
Throw dye
Throw poison
Zap change monster
Spam zap/cast fire/acid ground and magic arrow/bolt/ball
Hit it with chaos element shit until it falls over
Just leave? It's not like it matters
>>
File: Untitled.png (248KB, 1096x758px) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.png
248KB, 1096x758px
So fucking close 3 times and he still slurped off into the distance. Not like I wanted spin slash, mobility, or slash dance b-baka!
>>
>>158260167
That build looks really shitty my dude.
>>
>>158260908
Got something more helpful than that?
>>
>tfw oppressor is so good that angels would rather smite my vigor siphoning PC rather than the zombie
Also, they'd sooner smite Miodchaoin than my zombie.
>>
>>158261014
At least give yourself leadership. I mean you're in melee slapping dudes all the time. May as well.
>>
>>158260908
That's actually a dodge tank noob, it looks good to me, especially that early on. He just needs to drop fierce stab and maybe swiftness, and get mob cover/mind reader/evasion/juggernaut
>>
File: Untitled.png (104KB, 1096x758px) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.png
104KB, 1096x758px
IT'S HAPPENING
>>
>>158259793

interlocking shooting mechanism
>>
>>158218993
I was thinking about trying to create a comprensive roguelike family tree when i saw this post.
I guess it sounds pretty fun.
>>
>>158261130
What's the range on "nearby"? I presume it doesn't help me any.

>>158261134
Ah good, mob cover is worth it? Lucky dodge any good? Just found some ogres for jugg. Worth getting oppressor too?
>>
Eye/ice seems hard to get into a position where you can use your abilities without hitting your own guys. Though I got early frostbite off a frigid goblin so I'm obligated to try and get this to work now.
>>
>>158261373
Mob cover seems decent for what it is. I'm not sure about lucky dodge. Oppressor is good against a lot of unavoidable attacks.
>>
>>158261908
And by that I mean I'll forget about my fire weakness and get destroyed by an ukobach.
>>
>>158261373
Well I only played a few wisp-builds back in the day before mob cover (20% EV when surrounded -> 15%) was nerfed, but it should still definitely help out since you'll be balls deep in dudes. I think evasion (10% EV all times) is actually better, since it'll work against ranged attacks as you walk up to an enemy group. Mind reader gives 13% EV+ACC at all times which is also great. Lucky dodge is nice early on, but the luck cooldown means you'll only get one dodge every three turns or something like that. Oppressor is probably great to have since some attacks can't miss, but it doesn't really fit the theme of being dodgy
>>
>>158261908
I'm pretty sure Avalanche doesn't proc frostbite.

Frost Breath does though, but breath builds are fairly slow to get going.
>>
only 4 runes
>>
File: NPCPickupRules.png (36KB, 1680x1050px) Image search: [Google]
NPCPickupRules.png
36KB, 1680x1050px
Can anyone give me a better explanation of the pickup rules for NPCs?

Allowing them to pickup tells me 'they will pick up everything'. But this prompt has include as well as exclude.

If I don't allow them to pickup, but set an include, will they pick up nothing but that?

Is there an article about this feature somewhere? Only google advice is from like 4 years ago and talking about npcs in general, not this prompt.

I'd love to just set all npcs to collect food and 'fancy things'. Or 'm:cotton' but the prompt appears to be very very very barebones so far.
>>
>>158263446
Go on the forum and go fishing or find the pulkl requests on github
>>
>>158263528
>use dda's chei tier search function
Fucking forum search functions are god damn cancer.
>>
>>158263446
If they have no rules, they pick up by item value.
If they have rules, they pick up all that fits the rules.

Rules are processed by first including the include parts, then excluding exclude.
For example:
>Include: *berry*
>Exclude: *rotten*
Will pick up everything with "berry" in name that doesn't have "rotten" in name.

The rules are the same as autopickup ones, because it's literally just reused autopickup menu. It doesn't support "m:cotton", I think - only the "*" wildcard and pure name filtering.
>>
Is there an inverse of Oppressor? Like,
Defiance
Offense is increased by 25% against targets with more HP(bonuses affected by light resistance.)
>>
I actually like Turduk now. I just love the concept of some fucking dancing skeleton god wrecking shit. Thinking of trying to create a party with Vikhor, Turduk and other fast dudes.
>>
>>158263890
Oh. Ok. Thanks.

Do you know if non-players recognize "fits", "filthy" or item health like "ripped/tattered"?

And in the case of fits, if they do recognize it, does it fit for them or fit for me?
>>
>>158264023
It's an interesting idea, but i think Ferret doesn't want more sources of offence as it would make the game way too bursty. Just imagine how much damage you could do with full magic Humble + Off Up + Innocence + The light/dark damage passives + this passive.
>>
>>158264023
The closest that I can think of is Innocence, which applies various bonuses versus an opponent at max HP. I'm not quite sure, but it may work with max HP draining shenanigans.
>>
So is DCSSCA the official fork now?
>>
File: 1359382411530.jpg (36KB, 700x350px) Image search: [Google]
1359382411530.jpg
36KB, 700x350px
>tfw catch Python for the first time

>>158264056
I always wanted to make a party of 4 with two ldr+rabble buff slash frontliners, a mind guy to shut shit down and a high voltage stormfront galvanized emit sparker. I'd love to take 8+ turns for every "turn". We just explode onto the screen and kill 3/4 of a summoners party before they even see us.
>>
>>158264186
Names are always generated for player, I think.

They depend on your options. If you have item health displayed as symbols, the filter will pick up symbols and not "tattered".

So it should in all cases look the same for you and NPC filters.
>>
>>158264368
I guess I need to get used to using descriptive health instead of the bars then.
>>
>>158264224
DCSSCA is awful.
We need a good, non-scrub fork.
>>
>tfw extremely diesel character but don't feel like doing extended

>>158264463
hellcrawl is the meme fork for cool kids, maybe try that one
>>
>>158264208
>I'm not quite sure, but it may work with max HP draining shenanigans.
There's a demon that comes with innocence + an attack that deals pure max HP damage.
>>
>>158264506
Yeah. Fetches are one of those demons I haven't bothered with using much, though. I guess it does work.
>>
The 0.19 tournament will begin in just over a week! From 20:00 UTC Friday 6 November through 20:00 UTC Sunday 20 November, any 0.19 game played on any of the online servers will count for the tournament. 0.19 will be officially released a few days before the start of the tournament.
>>
>>158264453
Or you can order them not to pick up items with names starting with "..".
Unless you want ".." kevlar, or something.
>>
>>158264597
I thought the hp for items was a different thing from the name.
>>
File: weaselstompingday.png (54KB, 1586x851px) Image search: [Google]
weaselstompingday.png
54KB, 1586x851px
Is it me or are martial arts either really sucky or really great in Cataclysm?

Also, has Cataclysm's wiki been updated since, fucking ever?
>>
>>158264731
>martial arts
About 5 of the styles are usable. 2 of which are good/always better than the others.

Everything else is completely worthless.
>>
>>158264731
>Is it me or are martial arts either really sucky or really great in Cataclysm?
They are.

There were some attempts at fixing, but some of the styles are inherently, unfixably shit.
>>
>>158264731
Alll I knows about MA is that the stamina update made centipede style, the de facto OP choice, largely irrelevant.

I do like me some Book of Five Rings + starting Perception 14 though.
>>
>>158264889
>centipede style, the de facto OP choice
You need to build up your speed for 12 hours before you can use it to cross QPUs with it.
It wouldn't be worth it even without stamina.
>>
>>158264579
Nice la. We should get some teams set up then.
>>
>>158264494
>removed lair and crypt
> moved sbranches to D:13-14 and shortened them to 3 floors
>moved slime to U:1-3
>moved vaults to D:15, removed rune lock, shortened it to 4 floors
>moved tomb to V:3
> moved orc and temple up a floor
> removed zig rune lock
>renamed caustic shrikes to acid robins, in the laziest way possible
>renamed shard shrikes to cool robins, also in the laziest way possible
>removed boulder beetles and orange crystal statues
>removed Maurice
>hell knight spell sets are a little less stupid (no more pain/throw flame; they either have blink and bolt of fire or haste and bolt of draining)
>orb spiders reworked into an elec immune monster with no AI gimmick that casts orb of electricity
>elemental wellsprings don't kill themselves to cast stuff anymore
>iron trolls are fast instead of slow
>changed hungry ghosts to angry ghosts, with AF_RAGE and quadruple their old damage
>the default name for failed name generation is now "dong" instead of "plog"
This is even more retarded that the main branch.
>>
File: 65765876.png (182KB, 1296x716px) Image search: [Google]
65765876.png
182KB, 1296x716px
Interesting and tactical
>>
>>158265031
>It wouldn't be worth it even without stamina.

Are you serious? If not for the stamina, it lets you easily obliterate whole zombie armies due to simply attacking too fast for them to do anything. You can even stunlock hulks usually.

I dislike stamina, and always take Languorous because if melee combat is involved in any way my stamina is going to flatline anyway.
>>
>>158265413
>Edmund hits you with a flail of protection!
Fault. Next.
>>
How do I clean filthy items in cataclysm?
>>
>>158265676
>taking a step backwards into explored territory but through an unused tile is a fault
I guess
>>
>>158264731
Pretty much not since cataclysm was officially abandoned. There's been al ittle work but nobody cares. Use http://cdda-trunk.estilofusion.com/ or wizmode

They're pretty much all good with high stats, cbm's mutations, and consumables. An important thing to note is that with low enc you can do obscene damage and techniques in half the time of say, a fireaxe or chainsaw. As long as you can keep your speed and stat penalties negligible you're amazing.
>>
>>158265413
>Doesn't searchwalk
>doesn't even level traps and doors
>Gets trapped
Own fault #TRAPS&DOORS
>>
>>158265785
Totally missed the point. Retarded.
>>
File: d1244.jpg (9KB, 211x290px) Image search: [Google]
d1244.jpg
9KB, 211x290px
>>158265259
>renamed shard shrikes to cool robins
>>
>>158265259
>changed hungry ghosts to angry ghosts, with AF_RAGE and quadruple their old damage
AF_RAGE Will never fail to make me kek.
>>
Why the tavernscrubs hate chei?
Apart from the local /rlg/ chei cult, I've heard that koreans love the snail.
>>
>>158266373
Because Chei makes "The hardest part of the game" a little harder.
>>
>>158265259
>he doesnt get the robin joke
>>
>>158157421
ohio go kagami mast r algea
>>
>>158265494
>You can even stunlock hulks usually.
Until they 2-turn you and sneak in a smash.
The bonus isn't all that huge: full stack (8) only gives you -24 move cost, dropping it from 65 to 41. Without any encumbrance, that's 1 extra attack per turn - from ~1.5 to ~2.5. With even moderate encumbrance, that gets much lower.
Say, 10 on torso and hands will make it go from 85 to 61, so form ~1.2 to ~1.6 - 40% increase.

Instead of that, you could have tiger, which adds +0.8 dmg per point of strength, before scaling. Even at 10 strength it's +8 damage, which is comparable to what you get from base strength and knuckles. So roughly 50% increase.
That's before scaling and hydraulic muscles.

Centipede could be better vs weak shit, but anything armored will resist it. Especially now that crits aren't guaranteed and don't permastun everything with no effort.

Still, it could be more useful now that unarmed got some bonus damage from skill.
>>
>>158264731
You can tell if it's good by whether it has a counter (though watch out, because they can get you killed if you get surrounded bad enough) or a stun. Or named tiger style.
>>
>>158264327
Don't forget your rabble shouter with OFF or EV UP for allies and that speedy shout
>>
>>158267227
What are the five best martial arts?
>>
Let's say I want to start a crawl branch.
What would you like to add/remove/fix on the branch?
>>
>>158267724
Not him, and assuming unarmed, I would say tiger, scorpion, dragon, brawling, and zui quan.
>>
>>158267227
>Until they 2-turn you and sneak in a smash.

I'm not remotely suggesting that you *try* it, just that you can usually take on hulks with it if you have to.

>The bonus isn't all that huge

Zombies basically don't even have time to approach you due to the energy cost for them stepping next to you giving you more than enough time to stunlock and pulverize them. Its not minor at all.

>Instead of that, you could have tiger, which adds +0.8 dmg per point of strength, before scaling

You could, but the DPR doesn't compare, and the absolutely massive speed bonus also means you get more crits and stuns in. And if for some reason you can't finish off a zombie in time, you can simply step away and pulverize it again (the centipede style buff takes awhile to fade).

>Centipede could be better vs weak shit, but anything armored will resist it.

I don't have even the slightest idea of what is too "armored" for centipede style that doesn't blow you up when you up when it dies.

>Especially now

Yes, its established that centipede is only okay, but mostly that's because your stamina will disappear.
>>
>>158268189
remove food, re-add lava orcs and djinn
>>
>>158266373

Wikitavern shitters are too retarded to play Chei obviously. "muh hardest part of the game gets harder waaahh" is the main excuse of the wikitavern shitter whenever things don't go his way
>>
>>158267724
I'd go with tiger, centipede, dragon, zui quan and boxing.

Tiger for hard hits, centipede vs hordes of unarmored shit, dragon for good techniques and nerd characters with high int, zui for that there dodge, boxing similar to dragon but cheaper (and weaker).
>>
>>158268379
What even is "armored" that you'd conceivably want to melee? Survivor zombies sure aren't heavily armored enough for it to matter, for example.
>>
>>158268243
>Yes, its established that centipede is only okay, but mostly that's because your stamina will disappear.
I mean even not considering stamina.
The permastun relied on broken crits that always landed and always stunned.
>>
>>158268354

Since gods are there to make the game easier, you can see why some people have issues with gods that make things harder.
>>
>>158268501
So they nerfed melee AGAIN? Doesn't seem necessary to nerf something that will set your speed cost to 300 and render you unable to flee in short order.
>>
>>158268189
Remove Food, Sticky Curse, 1/2 of each floor's size, cut monster spawns by half. Increase monster XP, grant XP for entering a new level for the first time, move "normal" lair branches into late D, make lair a 2 floor branch comparable in difficulty to orc which contains Slime, move crypt into D, make crypt and vaults 4 floors deep, move golden rune into crypt, increase tomb loot, move tomb into depths, add dwarven halls which swaps with elf. Add more portal vaults, like Ant Hill, Dragon Caves, Arena.
>>
>>158266373
chei is bad
>>
>>158267724
Muay - full set of blocks, counter attack and rapid for covering your enc
Krav maga - All the techs basically
Centipede(Uded to) - Sanic speed
Taekwondo - More durable blocking and knockback for critlocking anything over pits. Nerfed thanks to brute/hulk slams
Dragon - Block, counter, sweep and the amazing knockback
Tiger - Damage bonus
Viper - rapid attrack and huge damage combos off of crits from being a 14/14 str/dex build furthered by morale and drug boosts.
Scorpion - Knockback locking letting you break anything around a shallow pit diamond.
Brawling - basic block and counter techs that anyone can get with 2 uc

Weapon arts
Ninjutsu - Silent free +damage
Book ones are basically free +damage

>>158267227
count turns and know your penalties and wild miss counts. You should never ever be getting hit ashort of projectiles fter the first 2 weeks. Less if you're on the ball.
>>
>>158268354
>muh winstreaks
>muh balance
We should convince koreans to start a godly branch, but koreans are obsessed with extended and they probably would create 15 more branches.
>>
Let's just say... I'm suspicious.
>>
>>158268791
if extended alternated between hell, holy, or pan depending on the run (and rune generation was drastically sped up in pan, fuck 60 floor bullshit) extended would be better
>>
>>158268468
Mostly hulks. They have 8 bashing armor.
Survivors (7) are armored enough that the bonus drops enough to be comparable to weaker arts, like boxing.

There isn't a ton of that, but shit like tiger is still useful vs weak hordes, while also working better vs armored ones.

>>158268728
I think that was before stamina.
Basically, the old formula made crits land ALWAYS, after you get 4 melee or so.
And all of those hits were stuns if you had non-shitty damage.
But that was quite long ago.
>>
File: 1477286910830.png (923KB, 1001x931px) Image search: [Google]
1477286910830.png
923KB, 1001x931px
>>158269157
nice /pol/ tabs
>>
>>158269157
>/pol/
>reddit
w e w
e
w
>>
>>158269278
>>158269307
I deleted my shame.
>>
>>158269157
>>158269278
>/pol/
>reddit
What did xe mean by this?
>>
>Someone on /pol/ plays elona+
This is far funnier than it should be.
>>
>>158269506
aren't the japanese on their honorary list?
>>
>>158268754
What weapon does ninjutsu work with? The message indicating if you're using a martial art turns into 'normal' when wielding anything with ninjutsu.
>>
>>158269576
It works with everything.
But it's no longer a free buff, because the bonus only boosts crits - regular attacks only get silenced.
>>
>>158269157
>plebbit
Consider suicide dickface. Also fuck off of /pol/ we don't want you there.
>>
>>158269745
Kicking somebody off /pol/ would be like lifting someone out a septic tank.
/pol/ is literally below reddit in terms of internet hierarchy.
>>
>>158269745
>/pol/
>we
>plebbit
>he thinks

I got Jiyva on D:3 but I tilted on 5 to a ghost fuck my life
>>
>>158269939
not really
>>
>>158269974
>Dick Cock: Semen Slurry
literally (literally) kill yourself in real life you shit-eating faggot
>>
>>158270219
Its only natural to yearn for Dicks
>>
>>158268967
>But that was quite long ago.

Ah okay. Yeah, Centipede worked perfectly fine against "armored" (reinforced clothing tier) enemies.

They really should give it a massive stamina discount so that it at least isn't more exhausting than a normal move.
>>
>>158270348
>They really should [Do thing that buffs melee.]

That's never happening. They all have a huge grudge against melee players since the only people who care about combat are gun nerds.
>>
>>158270515
I'm just hoping they don't cripple Five Rings style before I get a diamond katana.
>>
File: Its time boys.png (23KB, 1040x615px) Image search: [Google]
Its time boys.png
23KB, 1040x615px
>>
>>158271575
COME ON AND SLAM
>>
>>158271575

SMG's are OP as hell with Marksman.

Sadly I never found Armor Piercing rounds, so I had to switch to my pistol for long ranged cover-sniping.
>>
File: pastaparty victory.png (484KB, 1141x891px) Image search: [Google]
pastaparty victory.png
484KB, 1141x891px
I made it, alright.
>>
>>158271950
>172
Mother of god
>>
>>158272026
At one point I started pumping vitality.
>>
>>158271950
Mien passives really could use some visual differentiation.
>>
>>158272210
I had demon's mien and witch's mien. I decided to swap in the latter over angel's mien. I also swapped tireless for oppressor. Whether or not these were good decisions- it don't matter now.
>>
Maybe soon I can do a true American challenge and ascend with a slime.
>>
>>158271950

>172 health

whew lad.
>>
>>158272735
>not doing the gandayah or ratty challenge
>>
>>158272971
Practice practice. I am the rat dude. I'd just have to figure out how to counter the ice demons and the melee brutes. Huo shu are strangely good for making it through Anomaly, but demons like centaurs and tuofei can tear them up with relative ease.
>>
in crawl, is going up with the orb on D:1 instant or does it take a turn (can you be attacked?)
>>
>>158273196
It's instant, I am sure.
>>
Man, the Crown of Glory is amazing just for not having terrible resists and having the two best relic transmutations around.

Only problem is that all but two of their starting elements are statwise a clusterfuck due to requiring cunning, resulting in you becoming MAD as fuck
>>
>>158273784
but cunning is the best stat
>>
File: Untitled.png (189KB, 1096x758px) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.png
189KB, 1096x758px
So how about that storm breath....
Fucking elec weakness

>>158273784
Enemy sense is the best. Followed by Translator and transpose soul. capacity +1,+2 are pretty good.
That said, crown with +4 range is bretty fun

>>158273784
>Elec and healing needs magic
>Buff is shitt buff
Feels bad man
>>
>gettin 2 shot by magma garg bolts

Op life
>>
File: Untitled.png (272KB, 1096x758px) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.png
272KB, 1096x758px
>Finally get vikhor
>Don't have a dancer or being a dancer
>>
>>158171354
rudeposting piece of shit
>>
>>158273196
I have seen people get killed going out the exit, not sure if it can still happen though.
>>
File: 1474240129202.png (56KB, 751x444px) Image search: [Google]
1474240129202.png
56KB, 751x444px
>>158274459
time for some fusion+soul armor fuckery
>>
O, I wish I was in the land of mummies
Old times there are not forgotten
Look away! Look away!
Look away! Dickie's Land.

In Dickie's Land where I was born in
Early on one frosty D: 1'
Look away! Look away!

Chorus:
O, I wish I was in Dickie's!
Hooray! Hooray!
In Dickie's Land I'll take my stand
To live and die in Dickie's
Away, away,
Away down south in Dickie's!

Old MuMo fist Menkaure, the weaver,
Menkaure was a gay deceiver
Look away! Look away!

But when he put his arm inside him
His lovely silks got torn up bad
Look away! Look away!

Chorus:
Hooray! Hooray!
Away, away,

His haste was fast as an elv's misdeem
But that did not seem to grieve him
Look away! Look away!
Menkaure acted the foolish part
And got fisted by a MuMo that broke his heart
Look away! Look away!

Chorus:
Hooray! Hooray!
Away, away,
>>
File: 1469366721630.png (75KB, 1080x720px) Image search: [Google]
1469366721630.png
75KB, 1080x720px
Anything I should look out for with this dumb build? Other than a Fire AoE.
>>
File: dyinginthecurrentyearwow.png (3KB, 216x204px) Image search: [Google]
dyinginthecurrentyearwow.png
3KB, 216x204px
If your enemies kill you, you ascend.
>>
>>158276224
>fainting from lack of 2016
>>
File: 1448077494120.png (14KB, 400x400px) Image search: [Google]
1448077494120.png
14KB, 400x400px
>>158268610

>Chei makes things harder
>>
File: 111111111111.jpg (316KB, 1832x988px) Image search: [Google]
111111111111.jpg
316KB, 1832x988px
Well meme'd, Kiku
>>
>>158276993
in the early game, yeah he does

the tavern meme is "everything after lair doesn't matter", so of course the god who makes you weaker before that and much stronger after is unliked there
>>
>>158276126
>40 strength
what the fuck am i reading
>>
>>158274790
that image is amazing
>>
>>158277393
I started off trying to use avalanche, realized that skill was garbage, but kept going for some reason and became a swole Tuofei.
>>
>>158277335
>leaving kiku
>for sif
You what?
>>
>>158277354
>in the early game, yeah he does
How is a shit ton of free EV making things harder
You can even still walk away from stuff
>>
man the unique game in Demon is pretty weird, because if you keep all 3 early uniques, you have three fucking physical dudes which is waaaaay more than what you need

Typhon of course is the most valuable for fusioning, but I'm really not sure what to do with Vikhor and Headless once they're no longer needed. Headless is such a bro that it would be sad to get rid of him totally. I expect to find, at some point, a replacement melee juggernaut that could be made serviceable with some Mind.

I'm thinking next game I should merge Vikhor and Python to get snakenado armor, speed boost plus slashing, blunt, lightning, cold, and mind resistance. Piercing weakness sounds like a bitch though, especially since there's so many biters.

tl;dr what do with Vikhor when you don't need him anymore? what do with the surplus of physical uniques?
>>
>>158277354

>in the early game
>tavern

FOUND HIM GUYS! FOUND THE WIKITAVERN SHITTER
>>
>>158277794
1. Use DD
2. Use Channel Energy
3. Blast everything in the world (including myself) with infinite HP+MP fire storms
4. ??????
5. 15 runes
>>
How does a nuke that oneshots everything until the first lair branches make the early game harder?
>>
>>158277864
All their modifiers are great, but Headless at least is kind of shitty on his own.
I used Major Vikhor last game which was pretty good.
Might do a fiery Python this game or something silly like that.
>>
>>158277778
well other than that, that build looks really good

>>158277864
fusion
>>
>>158278119
I know, I'm just trying to figure out what to do with the fuckers

>>158278095
Does Headless's mind resistance bump Vikhor's up to immunity? I'm guessing no.
>>
>>158278064
>Sif
>channel energy
Even if you're on an old version, why such a rush for Sif? Trying to maximize the amount of book drops before you have to stop investing magic? You always find some commendable spell, so long as you play to your outs.
>>
>>158278259
My luck is terrible, so I like to guarantee as much as possible. Guaranteed Necronomicon, guaranteed high level spells, everything else is irrelevant.

Also books aren't random drops anymore, I think, I've found the book of Maledictions as my first book 8 times out of 10 since I started this version of trunk.
>>
>>158278379
confirmation bias + small sample size bruh
>>
>>158278379
But Maledictions is bretty gud, especially if you go kiku. Zombos kill confused dudes just as well as you do. I don't know why you need guaranteed spells that aren't simulacrum or starter books, considering how powerful most of the starter books are.
>>
>>158278379
>>158278406
>>158278492
They actually gave Books floor weightings now so high level books are less likely to spawn early, before every book had the same chance
http://git.develz.org/?p=crawl.git;a=commit;h=50cf0f481aefa021e30d5df88c502ed8e69241ca
>>
>>158278712
that's fucking retarded
the whole point of sif is being able to cast high level spells super early, and regenerate mp lost from miscasts with her channeling
>>
>>158278492
Summons and Hexes bore me. I like to blow things up.

Bolt of Draining+DD are the only necromancy spells I pick up, I've never really been in a situation where I'm like "wow, if only I had corpse rot or death channel". Because I have Bolt of Draining+DD
>>
>>158278891
>always playing the same character
>>
>>158278891
I mean, to each their own I guess? Kiku is so stupidly powerful if you actually use his gifts. Simulacrum is strong enough to carry a loremaster game, let alone Dchan and the utility that corpse delivery and less spells like animate dead/corpse rot provide. Not to mention the balance crime of regen.
>>
>>158279038
>Not to mention the balance crime of regen
When is it going to be removed
There is never a character that would go "Regen? Nah dont want it"
>>
File: 111111111111.jpg (317KB, 1831x985px) Image search: [Google]
111111111111.jpg
317KB, 1831x985px
>>158278936
I've been using this one a lot lately, somehow it's really fun. Also OW FUCK

>>158279038
Yeah Kiku is top tier. I guess I'm more into Sif because she's new.
>>
>>158279128
>Sif
>New
I don't even. You aren't even playing with new sif, from the looks of it.
>>
File: 111111111111.jpg (289KB, 1831x988px) Image search: [Google]
111111111111.jpg
289KB, 1831x988px
>>158279161
But I am. Haven't actually used her invocations yet, I want those books.
>>
File: 111111111111.jpg (329KB, 1832x986px) Image search: [Google]
111111111111.jpg
329KB, 1832x986px
Well at least that's done w-
>>
File: so hard.png (220KB, 1273x676px) Image search: [Google]
so hard.png
220KB, 1273x676px
early game is so hard wtf?
>>
Havent played since the tournament, whats changed?
>>
File: 1477122369891.webm (3MB, 960x540px) Image search: [Google]
1477122369891.webm
3MB, 960x540px
>>158280046
Changed. Changes. Change.
Change... log?
Changelog.
>>
File: 745838568.png (58KB, 1914x1006px) Image search: [Google]
745838568.png
58KB, 1914x1006px
My plan was to drop the grenade and then run away

my plan failed
>>
>>158280270
>Third month, lost to a feral hunter and a shady zombie
Poor form.
>>
>>158217016
why mourn sludge elf when there's merfolk
>good transmutation
>good dodging
>good UC
>>
>>158280508
I'm fine now, the spiders are all dead and the zombies can't bite through my many layers of kevlar
>>
>>158280531

Yeah +3 apt is only """"""""good"""""""" I guess it's alright jk lol dumb transminotaur cancer.
>>
>>158280680
So how bad is limb healing at this point? I haven't managed to get anything crippled so far in experimental.
>>
>>158280728
You put a splint on it for a few days and stay in bed as much as possible and try not to get it damaged again because otherwise I think you have to start the healing process again. I rebroke my leg a couple of times going for walks and it took like a week in total. Fun fact, running away from zombies is hard with a broken leg, stay at home.
>>
File: so hard 1.png (203KB, 1366x704px) Image search: [Google]
so hard 1.png
203KB, 1366x704px
wtf!
>>
>>158280728
As stable.
Stable broken limb times are based on realism.
In other words, it's shit and totally not fixed, don't get your limbs broken or you'll need to put down your lame character.
>>
>accidentally kill Lioth too fast and the relic pop surrounds you with ghouls and acheris
>only 1 monster charmed and it's being dealt with by Turdak
Oops.
>>
>>158283134
I don't know about you but I can't just attach bits of wood to my limbs and then avoid getting into fights for a few day and have them repair themselves irl
>>
I wonder if you could make a good Meme Needle master using... Crown of Glory/Lightning/Light? You already have a short ranged piercing attack to start, great starting transmutations, and Hand of Light looks like it might come in handy against the foes that are usually resistant to dirty needles.
>>
where do you find gear better than cloth and raw (what is raw anyway?) in elona+? is it random or do higher level dungeons have better loot?
>>
>>158259793
You should stock up on some chestnuts, almost nothing resists bleeding and they're reusable
There's also a secret boss involving lots and lots of chestnuts
>>
Seems like this vault has a Dagger of Force. Do I want it? Or should I settle for the +1 Fire Immunity charm (which will help against flame-throwing enemies and fiery hazard deep below...), +2 Invis charm, or an enchanted war hammer?
>>
>>158287967
Is it D1 or do you have other stuff? If the latter, post it, otherwise I'd take the hammer.
>>
>>158282507
How to survive early game as octo of chei
>>
>>158288365
Level some stealth.
Octochei stealth is kind of silly.
I would not recommend Op^Chei to anyone or their relatives though.
>>
>>158288168
>post it
You mean keep?
It was on D5, I have pretty much nothing but slight transference and negation charges. I'm a bit conflicted: getting the war hammer to work is going to take all my enchants, plus two extra ones, even though it might have just a +1 natural bonus.
I also have a +0 sword and war axe I plan to use when knocking stuff into hazards is no longer viable.
(Also, as of moments ago, I killed a Black Jelly for +2 Scale Mail of Multiplicity, if it matters.)
>>
>>158288734
No, I meant if you were past D:1, post your gear.

Take one of the charms, probably invis, and invest in the war axe imo.
>>
>>158286987
Grind puppy dungeon 1 forever to get some starter gear, I managed to fill all slots in the beginning doing that.
If you find raw shoes, eat them.
>>
File: dagger of force.png (83KB, 1600x812px) Image search: [Google]
dagger of force.png
83KB, 1600x812px
>>158288943
Hm, I just went down to D8 because I'm an impatient idiot
I dunno if it's worth it to make the trip back. I haven't invested enchants in the dagger so far, but it might have really good synergy with my ring of regen (knockback = time to heal)
>>
>>158289203
Since you have transference I would definitely go for the war axe and transference.
Fire Immunity would have been ideal.
Daggers are not that good without quietus.
>>
File: so hard 2.png (278KB, 1273x678px) Image search: [Google]
so hard 2.png
278KB, 1273x678px
>>158288365

the first step is to invoke your tentacle fists
>>
>>158289497
I honestly wanted to go back, I really do, but I think the lack of food would cost me the game :(

On the other hand, looks like I've just been served the amulet on a platter. This appear to be one of these ridiculously generous runs, so my shit weapon choice won't matter a single bit. I feel a bit cheated out, but ehhh, luck is luck.
>>
File: free ticket to D26.png (124KB, 1577x809px) Image search: [Google]
free ticket to D26.png
124KB, 1577x809px
>>158290272
(forgot pic)
>>
>that feel when finding an early wand of heal wounds as a pakellas worshipper
>>
what do people think of the newer gods in DCSS? i like the one where you get a buddy to help you because it lets me get hexy stuff without bothering to actually get hexy stuff
>>
>>158224313
how new are you? shatter is the best spell against the only relevant monster in the postend, the almighty hell sentinel-sama
>>
File: OHKO.png (10KB, 590x114px) Image search: [Google]
OHKO.png
10KB, 590x114px
>>158291332

That's a weird way to spell bladehands
>>
amulet of harm is the dankest of them all
>>
File: balancecrimee.png (6KB, 325x100px) Image search: [Google]
balancecrimee.png
6KB, 325x100px
>>158291637

you mean Dragonform?
>>
>>158290923
I like Hep.
I really dislike Uskayaw and Wudzu.
>>
>>158276224
>fainting from lack of CURRENT YEAR
>>
>>158277814
>How is a shit ton of free EV making things harder
>You can even still walk away from stuff

Those two statements are obviously fucking contradictory.
>>
File: berserk face.png (21KB, 98x98px) Image search: [Google]
berserk face.png
21KB, 98x98px
>>158292314

I don't think you know what the word "contradict" means
>>
>8464 | D:9 | Noticed an ice dragon
>8464 | D:9 | Noticed a stone giant
>8464 | D:9 | Noticed an ettin
>8548 | D:9 | Decided to melee an ettin instead of walking away
I think these OOD monsters are the game's way of telling me that I'm allowed to walk away sometimes.
I was able to resist fighting the ice dragon, but an ettin felt much easier.
>>
>vaults:3
>treasure trove
>This trove requires the presence of the slimy rune of Zot to function. Show it the item?
i'm going for it!
>>
I have to do Vault 5 with only a single pip of MR
What do
>>
>>158293621
post dump and i'll teach you the secrets
>>
Redpill me on Incursion: Halls of the Goblin King
>>
>>158293621
I have 5 runed with only 1 # of MR through the entire game, due to very ridiculous item luck on a Ds something
Wasn't fun, though
>>
>>158293753
the goblins are a metaphor for black people
>>
>>158293753
eating skillbooks as a bear is like a prostate orgasm
>>
Zaji's Auraward/Strike etc. stuff looks really interesting.

Its pretty obvious how one could make use of Auraward, just get anything that uses fire, ice, or lightning and get mad resistances. But has anyone here made a good Aurastrike build?

Also, if you don't get Auraward/Aurastrike, what is the earliest you can get the other?
>>
>>158291332

rod of inaccuracy deals with them just fine and without 9 fucking spell slots

spellforged servitor + crystal spear is the most economic way to obliterate them
>>
>>158294368
rod of inaccuracy requires high evo and is a piece of trash that can't be recharged faster
shooting crystal spears is not the most economical way of killing anything that comes in groups of more than 1
>>
>>158294529

If you're not going high evo I really don't see the point in shatter either, its a grossly underpowered spell whose only relevance is when you want to focus on earth magic for possible statue form, earth staff use, and crystal spear use, leaning on earth for the above rather than the other skills.

If there's a group of monsters you can simply turn 360 and walk away from the hell sentinel to fight the others, and again, a spellforged servitor kills the sentinel very easily.

Every time I've learned Shatter I've regretted it.
>>
>>158294765
>If there's a group of monsters you can simply turn 360 and walk away from the hell sentinel to fight the others
do i look like a fucking punk m8
>>
Too much shit flies for shatter to be good
>>
>>158294765

You cannot kill most of the irritating threats for a caster from edge of LOS with bloatnado. Your Tornado is at best, mediocre, or just a weaker Glaciate and only raises its mediocre value if Ogres/Trolls of Chei decides to cast them.
>>
>>158295050
I didn't mention Tornado in the post at all, and its use contradicts Spellforged Servitor. Its a very convenient spell but I would usually not try to advance towards it unless I was doing a purposeful Air build or already had Firestorm, Crystal Spear and Glaciate.
>>
>CDDA
>Think it's dumb that you can't cut holes in helmets for your horns or antennae.
>Alter the jsons to remove the restrictive tags.
>Whoops, left a comma in, save bugs out on load.
>Fix it.
>Game won't let me wear a helmet over my antennae anyway.
Either that crash fucked up my character somehow or there's something hardcoded here that keeps you from wearing helmets with antennae too.
>>
>>158295157

As you can see, Servitor and Tornado and Evocations of any form besides +Fog share the common sickness: being bloat. Bloats that need to be removed immediately because they're either too weak, inferior to other spells of the same type and serve as good noob traps. They take up precious space and that is bad.

Why would you need to use an additional single target damage per aut if it's simply unnecessary and gets in the way of literally all level 9 spells maybe except Firestorm? Do you think you'd have a hard time against Panlords/Hell lords with just level 9 spells or even just a crystal spear? Well that is completely false. Crawl is tailored to be easy to pander wikitavern players so they would never make things of any form too hard.
>>
>>158278157
>Does Headless's mind resistance bump Vikhor's up to immunity? I'm guessing no.
It does not. A modifier has to explicitly state that it gives immunity to an element for it to do so.
>>
>>158285479
I've seen dudes make meme needles out of hand of dead characters (particularly the slashing one because it gets terrifying at the start). That sounds fairly viable, especially given that Hand of Light shows up late like Terrifying.
>>
File: Capture.jpg (236KB, 1828x986px) Image search: [Google]
Capture.jpg
236KB, 1828x986px
"Mad," they called me
>>
>>158294135
>Also, if you don't get Auraward/Aurastrike, what is the earliest you can get the other?
I am currently not sure of what else they may show up on. Maybe Auraward is an ability granted by the warded modifier (i.e. late game solid).
>>
>>158296709

Firestorm is more effective
>>
>>158296709
Jesus Christ that's so stupid.
>>
>>158296915
The anon being in that situation somehow is stupid
>>
New:
>>158297409
>>
>>158295819
Crystal Spear + Spellforged Servitor is just about the most cost effective it gets in the whole damn game, dude.

Also, whining about the game being made easier is retarded since the Crawl of the last few years is vastly harder than when, say, Tomb was a spell, or more recently when you could summon spam and unleash your minions to kill in utmost safety, or just in general of the time before 101 new gimmick monsters.
>>
>>158296709
anon just blink away
please
Thread posts: 756
Thread images: 114

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.