[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/slg/ Space & Logistic games General

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 81
Thread images: 14

File: dedburan.jpg (119KB, 500x337px) Image search: [Google]
dedburan.jpg
119KB, 500x337px
This is a new thread for the discussion of logistics and building/planning games of all sorts, with extra attention for those that are space-related - flight, logistics, design, construction; if it's not meant for egg, we want it, with the exception of that Mexican game that shall not be named.

>List of welcome games:
-Buzz Aldrin's Race into Space
-Orbiter
-Space Engine
-Universe Sandbox
-Osiris: New Dawn
-Factorio
-Open Transport Tycoon
-House of the Dying Sun
-Rogue System
-Children of a Dead Earth
-Rodina
-Everspace
-City building games in general

Bonus attention-grabbing search tags: /cbg/ /fcg/

This OP is temporary, we are working into defining a proper OP for when things start rolling, help is much appreciated.

Pastebin for the rest of the OP coming soon-ish
>>
>Race into Space
Race to the moon between the USSR and US. A management sim that is adapted from a board game, and with an interface that was considered shitty in the 90's, it's still pretty good. Free.
http://www.raceintospace.org/

>Buzz Aldrin's Space Program Manager
Race into Space's younger, slightly worse cousin. Shinier and slightly better interface, though, which might be a selling point for some. It's a Slitherine game - not much else needs to be said.
http://store.steampowered.com/app/308270/

>Orbiter
The big boy spaceflight game. Simulates lots of real and fictional spacecraft. Absurd numbers of mods to add just about anything you can imagine.
http://orbit.medphys.ucl.ac.uk/
http://www.orbithangar.com/

>Space Engine
Space screenshot maker with an entire procedural universe to fly around. Is supposed to someday get actual gameplay. Free.
http://en.spaceengine.org/

>Rogue System
DCS in space. In early access, so approach with caution, but seems to be shaping up pretty well so far.
http://imagespaceinc.com/rogsys/

>Children of a Dead Earth
Claims to be a "Realistic" space combat simulator. Not really true, and some consider the lead dev to be kind of an idiot, but still an interesting project nonetheless.
https://childrenofadeadearth.wordpress.com/
http://store.steampowered.com/app/476530

>House of the Dying Sun
Space anime combat villain sim.
http://store.steampowered.com/app/283160/

>Rodina
Like an itty-bitty No Man's Sky. Lots of exploration in a single solar system. Early Access, so take caution.
http://store.steampowered.com/app/314230/

>OpenTTD
A transport and logistics systems simulation game. Free Transport Tycoon remake with tons of addons to keep you busy for the rest of forever.
https://www.openttd.org/en/

>Project Highrise
Think Simtower with more stripped down gameplay elements. More casual for sure, but still plenty of fun.
http://store.steampowered.com/app/423580/
>>
>>156773104
>>156773183
Don't forget to add Factorio to the OP. I'm sure a few of us would like to post in a somewhat slower general so we're not drowned in constant Spengies.
>>
>>156774892
It is already in the OP, it's included in the first list
>>
>>156778619
Ah, so it is.
>>
>>156773183
> Space anime combat villain sim.
Sounds awesome but is the game actually good?
>>
>>156782350
>Early access
>>
>>156783138
Yes, and? I'm not asking if it's worth buying right now. Also there were a few games well worth buying during EA.
>>
>>156783798
I dont know about that game 2bh, it looks pretty from the videos
Maybe someone who actually played it will come later and tell you if it's promising.

I was just trying to warn you, early access is usually an excuse to take easy money and then do shit with it despite the few good games that came out of EA in the past
>>
>>156782350
It's pretty fun. It's kind of short lived, and it's single player only, which is sort of a problem. The one thing that really shines is how well it works in VR - it really nails the scale and everything feels really polished.

>>156783138
>early access
It's not even really Early Access. The game is more or less finished, the dev is just using EA to crowdsource bugfixes and balance changes. The game is pretty much feature complete.
>>
ded
>>
>>156790436
this desu
>>
>ywn be a Space Mack.
>>
File: map.png (314KB, 1920x1039px) Image search: [Google]
map.png
314KB, 1920x1039px
Ok, time for some good old OpenTTD autism over here.

I still need to name my company, you guys could help me
>>
>>156795724
Cluster Lakes Transport Ltd.
>>
>>156796229
nevermind, I goof'd the modlist, I have to make a new map.

brb
I'll keep your name anyway
>>
>>156796536
gg
>>
File: map2.png (315KB, 1920x1042px)
map2.png
315KB, 1920x1042px
ok, this time for real

not much difference, things have been moved around a bit, the world generation settings are still the same

official name of the company is Cluster Lakes Transport Ltd.
>>
File: grfs.png (17KB, 570x565px) Image search: [Google]
grfs.png
17KB, 570x565px
First things first

What I'm playing right now is an heavily patched (modded) version of OpenTTD, the so-called patchpack I'm using can be found here
https://www.tt-forums.net/viewtopic.php?t=66892
You can scroll down the first page to find the full list of patches included in the pack. Most of that stuff is extremely useful and is not included in the vanilla game.
The general scope of the pack is to make the game more difficult and challenging, as well as making it a bit easier to manage massive networks.
The stupid amount of settings this game has means it can be tuned down for beginners with no problems.
A must-have if you are already a bit familiar with the game.

as for the NewGRFs (more mods), pic related is my current list.
I like to start comfy early games in the late 19th/early 20th century and I don't like to go overboard with vehicle packs, so the list reflects my playstile a lot.
One or two packs per eache vehicle type (av9.8 for planes, eGRVTS + HEQS for trucks, trams and road vehicles, UKRS2 for trains and Sailing ships + FISH for boats), a couple of new track types and the rest is mostly cosmetic stuff.

pic of settings coming next post
>>
File: ottd settings.png (252KB, 1911x1166px) Image search: [Google]
ottd settings.png
252KB, 1911x1166px
Pic related is what I think is a good setup for a beginner trying out patches.

When opening the settings window for the first time, make sure to choose the "expert" view from the first drop-down menu, or you will not be able to see the full list.

The important bits are highlighted and explained in the pic.
Tabs not expanded means they have default settings.
the highlighted settings are not the only ones to be different from default, there are a few other differences here and there, so take your time to look at the whole list if you ever wish to replicate this setup.

This is also a good, reasonably challenging setup for a non-patched game, there will just be less settings available than the ones shown in the pic.
>>
>9
>>
>>156800409
>bumping from page 9
>>
File: planA-B.png (101KB, 1553x1042px) Image search: [Google]
planA-B.png
101KB, 1553x1042px
ok I've spent some time setting up a few small fishing routes to give me a nice and steady initial income. It's not finished, but it's time to start scouting the map for good places where to lay down the first train tracks when I'll have enough money to support it.

I usually start with the metal fabrication industry chain, because the resources for that are abundant and the chain is reasonably easy for our first land-based endeavours.

Unfortunately, the raw materials I need (Iron and coal) are not as abundant as I was hoping for, which leaves me with only two good spots in the entire map, at least with the limited tech I have right now.

Pic related is what I plan on doing in those spots. Black and orange circles are coal and iron ore mines, blue squares are steel mills, pink squares are machine shops. What I need to do is bring stuff from the circles to the blue square and then from the blue square to one of the pink squares, whichever turns out to be the most convenient to use. In a future, stuff produced by pink squares will need to be delivered back to all the circles so they can boost their production up to 3x.

Both of those spots have the exact same number of primary industries (the circles).
Left spot: pros - industries are somewhat closer to the steel mill and they are also closer to each other (being able to group more industries under a single station is better).
Cons - clusters are more or less evenly distributed in all directions (the network will have more branches); the network can only expan donward and westward

Right spot: pros - most of the industries are distributed in an east-west direction (less branches, better usage of tracks); pink squares are closer; the network can expand everywhere.
Cons - Industries are further from their destination; the steel mill is right next to a city, which may seriously disturb the expansion of the incredibly busy station that I'll have to build there.

What do you guys think? Where should I start?
>>
>>156804009
Go right. It'll be better initial cashflow, and you can tap the left one later.
>>
File: 1471466332006.png (21KB, 659x753px)
1471466332006.png
21KB, 659x753px
how about you die quietly and stop bothering /egg/
>>
File: 1445032959077.jpg (74KB, 483x381px) Image search: [Google]
1445032959077.jpg
74KB, 483x381px
>>156798609
>that image
this is a whole new level of autism
>>
>>156805823
IKR
>>
>>156805327
so right it is, I hope that city won't make my life miserable once the place starts to get some traffic
>>
>>156805414
Nobody's making you read the thread, and nobody is bothering /egg/ unless some autistic loser from the dead mexican game general is trying to stir shit up.

Neither is our problem.
>>
ded
>>
File: 1.png (2MB, 1920x1039px)
1.png
2MB, 1920x1039px
The very first train route of the whole network.

Four coal mines all dump their cargo to a single train station using a tram service, then everything is delivered to the steel mill.

It already has capacity problems, too much coal is being delivered and I'm trying to fine tune the amount of wagons so I don't have to add too many trains so early in the game. I can't imagine how this will turn out once the mines reach 3x production when supplies will start to roll out of the machine shops.

looks like this new version of FIRS slightly raised the base production values for these industries.
We'll see if it applies to everything else
>>
ded
>>
>>156810250
That's cute.

Kinda makes me want to play now.
>>
>>156812406
DO
IT
>>
>>156814060
no u
>>
>>156814403
I AM ALREADY DOING IT
>>
ded
>>
ded
>>
I've been gone over a year, what happened to /kspg/?
>>
>>156820008
shitposting, jannybaiting etc.
mods ultimately had to delete the tread and now mentioning kspg is autosage
>>
>>156820625
They shitposted themselves into oblivion?
Just marvelous.
>>
>>156820008
Why did you come here to ask about it if you have been gone for a year?
>>
>>156821068
I couldn't find it anywhere, this seemed like the most reasonable place to ask what happened to it.
>>
>>156821478
how did you even find this place?
>>
>>156821831
not him, but by browsing the catalogue perhaps?
>>
>>156822895
how can you tell this place might be affiliate with that cancerous general? there is more ksp talk in egg right now
>>
ded
>>
>>156823176
fits perfectly into "space logistics"
>>
/slg/ used to be Second Life General. How this hasn't been turbo yiff bombed yet is beyond me.

Bump.
>>
>>156826927
Second life is still a thing?
>>
>>156827959
not that anon but yes I know people who still 'play' it as a daily pastime and they tell me of people who literally run businesses that make an appreciable amount of real money even now
>>
>>156828301
I remember people making mad dosh when that game was popular
I am astonished that people can still profit from it after all these years
>>
>>156825525
>>
>>156835008
>>
http://www.spaceflightinsider.com/organizations/arianespace/ariane-5-launches-gsat-18-sky-muster-ii-commsats/

>You missed this
>>
ded
>>
>>156841268
>>
File: delta-heavy-rocket-nrol.jpg (708KB, 4096x2742px) Image search: [Google]
delta-heavy-rocket-nrol.jpg
708KB, 4096x2742px
ded
>>
>>156847442
>>
I see people are talking OpenTTD, what settings can I use to make it a bit of a challenge?

The first game I played I left everything on default and seemed to quite quickly get to the point where I was just making millions of cash money with zero effort. The main challenge seemed to come from all my trucks breaking down.

Recommended settings?

Should I use/how many AI players?
>>
>>156852692
>>156798609
>>
If someone makes oldshoes-senpai notice this thread /cbg/ might revive here.
>>
>>156852692

- activate breakdowns
- activate payment for repairing breakdowns
- activate infrastructure maintenance costs
- increase steepness value for trains
- increase weight multiplier for trains
- activate weight multiplier for passengers
- get FIRS
- don't use planes

AIs suck at the game if it's not completely stock, don't bother with them. You can look at the city-growth scripts so you can get additional "missions" to make cities grow
>>
File: ye.png (41KB, 264x225px) Image search: [Google]
ye.png
41KB, 264x225px
>>156838326
I've been noticing a distinct lack of any large news outlets giving a shit about anything space-related recently, and it's starting to annoy me.
Is the site you posted good enough for general up-to-date spess news?
>>
>>156858443
This is another good source
http://spaceflightnow.com
>>
File: 2.png (741KB, 1920x1041px)
2.png
741KB, 1920x1041px
First two branches are done and going strong, optimisation is mostly done and we are ready to expand.
Right now I'm only delivering coal, the next step will be to connect some of the iron ore mines that are further out from the steel mill.
Once enough iron ore will be delivered, I will start moving some of the metal produced at the steel mill to its final destination.

No particular problems so far, except for an unexpected high production from the primary industries (it wasn't this high the last time I played, with an older version of the game) which forced me to tweak my trains a lot.
>>
File: 3.png (147KB, 1393x850px)
3.png
147KB, 1393x850px
>>156860657
two new iron ore mines are now hooked up to the network.

turns out I misjudged the distance of the other ore mines from the steel mill and from each other. Those that remain are either way too far away from the destination or are too spread apart from each other, meaning I can't conveniently group them together under a single train station.

So now I'm left with a couple of lone mines reasonably close to the steel mill and a small group of mines that is too distant for the slow trains I have; I'm basically blocked unless I decide to waste some time for a couple of dedicated branches to the two closest mines for the sake of having them connected to the network.
Obviously money is no longer a problem, it's just a problem of wasted space and infrastructure that may or may not make my life harder in the future, if I decide to hook some different industries to this part of the network.

In hindsight, I should have chose the other starting spot
>>
>>156862973
You should definitely push out to those mines that are still close - since money isn't a problem, I'd take the risk and place the lines for the short term benefit, and the possible long term one. Worst comes to worst, you end up designing a new network somewhere down the line.
You'll probably have to do that at some point anyway, so building with that in mind won't really hurt too much.
>>
>>156862973
I really wish the game had decent AIs. When you get airplane is just mad doshs and I don't have enough train autism to keep going alone. Also who hype for citybound?
>>
>>156864937
It's just that I'm against building one station and one track line just for a single industry, it's a big waste of space that will hardly become useful in the future.

that said, I'm stuck with this plan so I'll probably hook those mines up at some point anyway.

>>156865453
to be fair, I've never really looked much into modded AIs, there are tons of them, but I've heard they tend to become crap when you start changing the game economy (like with FIRS or ECS), so they are only really good with stock-ish games.

how is citybound shaping up? it seems a promising title, but every game looks fantastic when the devs describe their vision before actually making it.
>>
How is this different from /egg/?
>>
>>156867629
It's for things similar to /egg/ but with no/a lot less building.
There's too much overlap though so most possible users post in /egg/ still
>>
>>156867629
Think of it as /egg/-lite, for those games that still require some though, but are a bit more casual.
Also we are trying to resurrect city building games, those are completely absent from egg
>>
>>156867629
More of a focus on simulations - especially space sims - with less voxel shit.
>>
ded
>>
File: 679387main_Orbiter Switch-Full.jpg (1MB, 3000x2000px) Image search: [Google]
679387main_Orbiter Switch-Full.jpg
1MB, 3000x2000px
>>
BIG
>>
So what's the veredict on Osiris?
>>
>>156885226
From their steam page
>Osiris: New Dawn is a really big, ambitious game and we are a very small team.

I don't know what are you expecting from it
>>
>>156885508
So it's guaranteed to end up in nothing?
>>
>>156885902
Of course not, but there are plenty of awesome-looking games made by small indie devs that ended up in nothing.
There is also Dual Universe that promises everything and people already started debunking their shit from the fact that their only trailer has been edited into oblivion despite being "in game footage"

I just say you should keep your expectations low
Thread posts: 81
Thread images: 14

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.