[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/dfg/ Dwarf Fortress General

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 760
Thread images: 142

File: IconGuide.png (106KB, 1906x1640px) Image search: [Google]
IconGuide.png
106KB, 1906x1640px
"Crawling through the intestines of Page 10" edition
Previous thread >>150036636

>Download the basic game here. Current version is Dwarf Fortress 0.43.05
http://www.bay12games.com/dwarves/

>Official forums:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php

>Find a bug? Don't tell us! Tell Toady! Complaining in the thread will accomplish nothing.
http://www.bay12games.com/dwarves/mantisbt

>Have a question? Check the wiki first:
http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/Main_Page

>Fireden archived threads:
https://boards.fireden.net/vg/search/subject/Dwarf%20Fortress/

>Dwarf Therapist (Out of Date):
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=122968.0

>DFHack (Out of Date):
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=139553.0

>Starter Pack (Out of Date):
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=126076.0

>More DF stuff:
http://pastebin.com/AnsHjQ40

>Dwarf Fortress General IRC chat:
http://en.irc2go.com/webchat/?net=freenode&room=dwarffortress
(to connect yourself: https://webchat.freenode.net #dwarffortress)

>A bunch of guides to various parts of fort-based living:
http://imgur.com/a/nGyRF#0

>Video tutorials:
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLBrdUj1adIBD-vgUodaaxebcdqQ4oEWtg
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLD1A3FE72C0DCAC66 (Dated, but good)

>Text tutorials:
http://dwarffortresswiki.org/DF2014:Tutorials
http://members.iinet.net.au/~morty/Getting_Started_with_Dwarf_Fortress.pdf

>This pasta:
http://pastebin.com/iAduXzjn

Strike the earth!
>>
>>150328330
They fall.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rV-0PCIhaF0
>>
>the caravan is leaving soon
>my apologies, we're still unloading

The past three caravans have been this

The fuck is this
I need to export wealth or I won't get the migrants I need
Do I need to reconstruct my depot or am I just fucked
>>
http://thestonedgamer.com/interviews/item/863-simulate-your-very-own-fantasy-universe-looking-at-a-decade-of-dwarf-fortress

>>150328224
inorite

Also, last thread someone asked about syndromes causing emotions and such.

From the raws for booze:
[CE_CHANGE_PERSONALITY:FACET:BASHFUL:-50:FACET:PRIVACY:-50:FACET:BRAVERY:25:FACET:CONFIDENCE:25:FACET:POLITENESS:-25:FACET:THOUGHTLESSNESS:25:PROB:100:SIZE_DILUTES:START:10:PEAK:120:END:480:DWF_STRETCH:4]
[CE_FEEL_EMOTION:EMOTION:EUPHORIA:SEV:75:PROB:100:SIZE_DILUTES:START:10:PEAK:120:END:480:DWF_STRETCH:4]
>>
>>150328301
no. you'll have to put it somewhere else, maybe in one of the rooms that faces the other direction
>>
Do siege weapons work well against the circus?
>>
Incidentally, whichever anon: >>150328224 was talking about, if you don't have any mods, grab a fresh copy of the vanilla game and swap the raw/objects folder into your save, then if you want you can open up data/init/d_init.txt and set the tree/column tile to 255 instead of 10 or whichever it is now.
>>
File: 1470076369778.png (66KB, 382x395px) Image search: [Google]
1470076369778.png
66KB, 382x395px
> dwarf claims craftdwarf's workshop
> "I must have Plant cloth!"
> "I must have Silk cloth!"
> oh shit better get the textiles industry running
> dig down to caverns just to find some plants to make cloth
> find spider webs / plants
> Dwarf goes berserk literally seconds before i finish weaving thread into cloth

forgive me Mosus Letmosibesh, i have failed you
>>
>>150330572
I've heard of people using candy-coated ballista bolts before, presumably that would have a pretty decent effect. major pain in the ass to set up though, and even if you funneled the clowns down a couple of 3x3 hallways with the triple ballista setup, you might not kill them all before the operators panicked and/or died
catapults are useless
>>
>>150330768
>3x3
sorry, months of repeating that meme have got me typing that subconsciously every time I get near the 3 key
I meant 3-wide
>>
>>150330073
>>150328224
>implying it's not good to use and/or limited to one anon per thousand years.
>>
File: feral cat problem.png (46KB, 1276x597px) Image search: [Google]
feral cat problem.png
46KB, 1276x597px
FUCK. I was chillin' exploring a catacomb when this happened. I also know exactly who disturbed the mummer(incidentally the mummy of one of the first law-givers of my civ).

See, the mummy chamber was placed just by the entrance from the temple, so you just had to open one door to reach the mummy. While I stayed clear of it, I accidentally let a few stray cats in when I opened the door. Then this happened. I already see red '!'s in the main hall of the temple, so I'm not expecting a pretty sight.
>>
>>150330905

I got what you meant. The idea was to just make a z-level wide 3tile path filled with ballista. I dunno if I'll have enough candy, but steel plus 3 ballista, then allow them to fire as much as possible. Maybe a second level that does the same, then my normal combat dorfs.
>>
Anyone got some good music to play df to?
Just put new strings on my classical and I'm looking for things with that sort of tone. Thinking of making a few tracks of my own to fit the atmosphere.
>>
File: pls no.png (29KB, 504x529px) Image search: [Google]
pls no.png
29KB, 504x529px
>>150331536
FUCK.
>>
>Build entrance into a lonely hill in the middel of a large grassland

>Fortified the top of the hill make traps and stuff inn the corridor beneath

>Huge invasion of goblins comes they run into the entrance and gets stoned and caged

>they run for the exit and gets peppred by the marksmen on the hill

>entire goblin force obliterated by a few traps and some marksmen

first invasion that i managed to subdue inn a organized manner guess that a start
>>
>>150330946
(it's my tileset, I'm happy that others like it, just noticed they had raws from a different graphics set and trees)
>>
>>150329807
Will this human poet I let in do any actual work?
>>
>>150332083
NOT VERY COMFY IS IT NOW!
>>
File: holy kek2.png (108KB, 1290x635px) Image search: [Google]
holy kek2.png
108KB, 1290x635px
>>150332083
All this just because of a few cats.
>>
>>150332406
he'll make your dwarves happier.
>>
do bolts need weighty material to do well or sharp material? would candy, steel or silver be ideal?
>>
File: VorpalCurses+1.png (23KB, 384x576px) Image search: [Google]
VorpalCurses+1.png
23KB, 384x576px
>>150332406
If they petition to stay you can assign labors like normal.

>>150332609
If you wanna help that one being killed, sprint into one on the top right attacking them, don't aim any attacks (might freeze) and jump straight down to tackle the zombies off of them.
>>
>>150332406
he'll do DICK for a year (I think? maybe 2?), then he'll petition for citizenship, at which point he will start doing work
>>
File: TeleportingBloodsplosions.png (84KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
TeleportingBloodsplosions.png
84KB, 1920x1080px
>>150332950
Weighty and stiff materials which are hot enough to boil blood are the best.
>>
File: holy kek3.png (39KB, 1280x601px) Image search: [Google]
holy kek3.png
39KB, 1280x601px
>>150332609
>tfw you run back to the adults when your little spelunker game goes wrong, but they turn out to be just as powerless as you are
>>
What can I do with skulls that is useful?
>>
File: holy kek4.png (9KB, 403x454px) Image search: [Google]
holy kek4.png
9KB, 403x454px
>>150333269
I wonder where the law-giver mummy went, though. If she's still in the dungeon, then killing the corpses above ground should be enough. If she's in the town, then we've got problems.
>>
File: HowIsThatForAHeadShot.png (51KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
HowIsThatForAHeadShot.png
51KB, 1920x1080px
>>150333285
>>
>>150333285
all you can do is turn them into totems (craftsdwarf's workshop, bone carving labour)
which are useless, but can be sold
>>
>>150333489
Probably cursed one of the cats that woke her and then did the weird glitchy teleport out into the world thing.

If you walk into a tomb and pick something up, you can save and the mummy disappears, but you'll bump into them later out roaming around possibly, so be careful.
>>
>>150333516
That's badass

>>150333547
That sucks, I guess I will just make them.
>>
File: night is falling.png (19KB, 594x353px) Image search: [Google]
night is falling.png
19KB, 594x353px
>>150333489
I know it will probably end as soon as I fast travel away or sleep, but lets linger around a bit and see how bad it can get.
>>
>slaughtering camp full of goblins takes 2 minutes
>chasing down all the stragglers around it takes 2 hours
>>
>>150329807
Werebeast infections are overpowered as fuck
>>
>>150330905
I'm so used to that meme that I didn't even notice that what I was reading shouldn't make sense. I visualized a 3 wide hallway. This fucking board...
>>
>>150335523
They're not. You just have to know how to prepare for them. If someone gets infected, you need to know how to use quarantines properly, but that's it.
>>
>>150335752
Before I could deal with the infection, shortly after the fight (could not have been longer than a week) a dwarf transformed on the stairwell and killed half my fortress in seconds
>>
>>150335523
Not really. They're like an early game skill check. If you're getting your shit pushed in by werebeasts you need to improve. Start working on military and passive defenses earlier.
>>
>>150336108
goddamn, what type of werebeast was it? must've been something terrible like a wereelephant.
>>
File: weremammothteamup.png (153KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
weremammothteamup.png
153KB, 1920x1080px
>>150336373
...or... a weremammoth.
>>
>>150336108
>THE stairwell
If you only have one stairwell, that's a serious bottleneck in your fort layout, and you kinda brought this upon yourself.

>could not have been longer than a week
Nope, it may not be exactly a month(since the transformation lasts for several days), but it should at least be three weeks. You had more than enough time. The transformation dates are the same for everyone.
>>
>>150336562
Every tutorial I've seen from Captain Duck has a central stairwell
>>
>>150336373
It was only a werechinchilla,
>>
>>150336703
I don't know who that is, but from the experience I've gathered through the years I've been playing, having bottlenecks in your layout slows production down, ad the cramped space makes shit like the aforementioned happen.
>>
>>150336926
Could you give me an example of a good design? I always thought vertical access allowed for the least distance between areas.
>>
>>150336562
a 3x3 stairwell spine is so efficent though.
>>
>>150337106
I'm not saying you shouldn't have any stairways at all. I'm just saying that it's better to have several stairways spread out over the fort, rather that having one large ditto. Just having several bigger stairwells is a big improvement.
>>
>>150337149
I put a statue in the middle of the 3x3 stairwell to generate a good thought every step up and down too
>>
>Embark in Joyous Wilds
>Colony of honey bees and clay right next to my wagon
Time to get comfy
>>
>>150335523
They can be disastrous if you let them spread, but all you really need to do is lock up the hospital until, if there's multiple cases, they've killed each other, then you let the militia wait outside the door until the last one turns.
>>
File: ComfySetTrackFix.png (10KB, 256x384px) Image search: [Google]
ComfySetTrackFix.png
10KB, 256x384px
>>150337817
This comfy? (comfyanon has a set with other track tiles instead, not sure if they decided which they like most yet)
>>
File: anontileset.png (10KB, 256x384px) Image search: [Google]
anontileset.png
10KB, 256x384px
>>150337957
I decided to go with my own solution. Not because I dislike yours, but because I had already fixed minor errors in my own version after posting the one your version was made from. I also prefer having a version for which I still have my original gimp file available(although I could just copy your tiles over).
>>
>first ever fortress
>everything is going pretty well
>decide to make a drawbridge in case goblins attack
>dig a hole in front of my main entrance
>start building a bridge
>miners outside of fortress but whatever, they'll get in when the bridge will be done
>dwarf can't access bridge
>have to make a new hole in the mountain to let my miners come back
>they don't dig
>check them and realize they are both unconscious
>they die
>can't make more pickaxes because no metal
>can't get metal because no miners
>all my dwarves are stuck inside

That's how I lost my first fortress, you can all laugh at how shit I am now.
>>
File: Fort 1.png (29KB, 1684x1056px) Image search: [Google]
Fort 1.png
29KB, 1684x1056px
>>150337915
Good to know, I'm not sure how the ones that fought it got out of the medbay so fast.

This is the layout, I'm not sure how to be more efficient/safe so if anyone that has better designs could share a couple I obviously have a lot to learn
>>
>>150339350
Oh and I'm having serious trouble coaxing the engraver dwarf to actually smooth anything. I had to turn every kind of hauling off to get him to work
>>
>>150339279

For the first level of the pit it's a good idea to dig a channel and leave the ramps so dwarfs can walk in/out while the bridge is being constructed
>>
>>150339279
I dig a channel then build the bridge then remove the ramps facing into the fort
>>
File: LotsOfSleepingZombies.png (41KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
LotsOfSleepingZombies.png
41KB, 1920x1080px
>>150338285
I can dig it, the .xcf was just what you see with those tiles floating so I could rotate them.
>>
>>150340075
How do you go exploring in adventure mode without getting wreked by billions of boogiemen at night?
>>
>reanimated scale
>can't hit it
>it can't hit

brilliant
>>
>>150295852
Motherfucker is just trucking along. He's "very rarely sick", I didn't know that disease resistance affected poisons as well. He's been bitten by regular cave spiders too and has had no ill effects.
>>
>>150340208
Disabled bogeymen, they're boring when you're running around with modded buffs and facing modded critters, since you can't mod the regular bogeymen.
>>
>>150340208
get frens 2 follo u
sleep indoors
>>
>>150340556
I understand the indoors part, but making the multi month trek between cities makes that part really hard. They run (fly?) super fast.
>>
File: ValueMyLoyalty.png (51KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
ValueMyLoyalty.png
51KB, 1920x1080px
>>150340757
They do fly, and they aren't that fast outside of vanilla, may have noticed my speed was 9.9/10 in that shot. Just unretired this character to keep rolling time forward more and see if I can push an age change.
>>
>>150340943
What do you do to get strong?
>>
So how exactly do you mark items to be used by taverns/temples?
>>
File: DriveFromTheirHomeQuest.png (67KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
DriveFromTheirHomeQuest.png
67KB, 1920x1080px
>>150341332
Mods yo, besides that you can use stuff like becoming a vamp necromancer and whatnot.
>>
>>150341467
You don't.

You put coffers in the tavern and temple, and the dorfs will place the relevant items(here mugs and instruments) there automatically, similar to how hospitals work.
>>
Is it possible to found an entire civ as an adventurer?
>>
>>150343586
no
>>
>>150329807
So.

Apparently, I unwittingly embarked into an extinct civilization.

My civ has no leaders in its screen and no outpost liason. I got the first two dorf waves--15 hardy souls all told.

We have settled in a land both gentle and fruitful. Literally fruitful. The place is positively choked with fruit bearing trees of every distinction. Metal is abundant.

I shall raise a grand chateau. I will make this the greatest tavern the world has ever seen. They will know that the Lancers of Gazes lives on.

Will I eventually get one of my dorfs promoted to monarch?
>>
I have some troubles with my stockpiles. Even thought they are flooding with fknished goods and cut gems, my gemsetters cant/wont use the items to do their work. Are my stockpiles bugged? Dorfs also stopped using bins and now all my treasures are spilled one square at a time
>>
>no dwarf caravans, liaison, or migrants for three years

Did they all die or what
The leaders still show up on my civs screen and there's like five of them.
>>
>>150344202
>Will I eventually get one of my dorfs promoted to monarch?

it's likely, yes. I don't know exactly how the game decides when this happens, I've had it happen almost RIGHT at the start before, sometimes it's after a year. occasionally it never happens, I think that means the king is still alive wandering the wilds somewhere, but I'm not sure

there's a small chance your migrants will stop arriving at about 20 pop. not sure what causes that either, if I was to guess I'd say your civ had enough living members (not sites) that it didn't trigger the "totally dead" mechanic that generates a full fort of new dorfs. but I don't really know
>>
>>150339350
Mine usually look like this, lots of branching staircases and ramps everywhere, with rooms build around/between them. usually every industry branches off whatever connection looks like it has enough space and is pretty self-contained with bedrooms, dining rooms, etc...

I usually build a few forts too, one in the soil, one in the rocks, one in the caverns, one down by the manga sea, like little interconnected villages each specializing in something different but mostly self-sufficient. Sorting dwarves into different groups is a pain in the ass, but only when making new villages, sorting new migrants is pretty easy.

It's HELL to remember where everything is and what you're doing(I was building a pumpstack near a dining room, but WHICH dining room? Oh well, I'll just build one here too) which leads to all sorts of half-completed tunnels everywhere and lots of awkward jerry-rigged connections, but that's half the fun.

Invasions are also FUN when you can lose an entire seige somewhere and have no idea where they went until you decide to renovate one fo the wells and 40 goblins pour out of the walls.
>>
>>150344516
Spoke too soon. My expedition leader just declared herself Queen.
>>
File: fort layout.png (10KB, 640x640px) Image search: [Google]
fort layout.png
10KB, 640x640px
>>150344567
Fucking forgot the picture
>>
File: violentwar.png (3KB, 790x98px) Image search: [Google]
violentwar.png
3KB, 790x98px
so this is dwarf fort huh
>>
File: SleepingZombies.png (38KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
SleepingZombies.png
38KB, 1920x1080px
>>150345762
>gem demon vs 6000 humans
>gem demon won
Well shit.
>>
Merchants just ignored my fault because the site is allegedly inaccessible. UI says it's fine. What do?
>>
>>150345762
only 10 deaths, pussies must have fled when they realised they couldn't injure a gem demon.
>>
So my werechameleon hermit is minding his own business taming some crundles, when this troll comes along and knocks over his craftsdwarf shop. Nobody knocks over Avuz's craftsdwarf shop but Avuz, and only on the full moon. Well, trolls are pretty big, and Avuz wasn't very tough even before he became a werechameleon, so it's taking a long fucking time to kill the troll. I can just hear Avuz muttering to himself "Just you wait til the full moon, buster." while he ineffectually bashes this troll in the head with his -crundle bone crossbow-.

"Any minute now..." It's the 16th of Malachite, only one day to go, and this literal snow ball shows up to join the fight. It doesn't even have an ability. I figured Avuz would eventually die to a forgotten beast, but it looks like it won't be this month. I hope Olnge doesn't make it over until Avuz transforms, the fight will be more fun that way.
>>
>>150346661
>snow creature right next to a magma pipe
>>
File: Relicwebs-20-region10-109-15526.png (462KB, 2304x3840px) Image search: [Google]
Relicwebs-20-region10-109-15526.png
462KB, 2304x3840px
>>150346774
We've got 4 of them at this depth, 1 for each cavern layer and the volcano tube going (almost) to the surface. Olnge made questionable decisions suffered the consequences.
>>
>>150344715
A true ant colony.
>>
>>150346661
What's the name of that tileset, anyways?
>>
File: sad man and shrek.png (128KB, 579x523px) Image search: [Google]
sad man and shrek.png
128KB, 579x523px
>toady will never add boats, fishing creature fish and boatfort mode
>>
>>150351154
Raving Maniac.

>>150351840
>except Toady has said he will be doing just that
>>
>>150351840
Didnt he talk about boats in one of the talkback threads on the forums
>>
>>150351993
Toady says a lot of things anon. Doing them before I kill myself because of shit life that's is another thing entirely.
>>
>>150352060
Ah, yeah, if you anhero out of it then from your perspective it may as well never happen.
>>
File: 1468378563056.png (6KB, 256x256px) Image search: [Google]
1468378563056.png
6KB, 256x256px
>>150351993
Is this it? The up-to-date version? Does it require a new save/world?
>>
>>150352696
Yes. Normal tilesets don't require updates, though graphic occasionally do (sort of). You can change your tileset/graphics/color scheme as often as you like without needing a new world.
Instructions: http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2014:Tilesets#Installation
>>
>embark
>magnetite, tetrahedrite, and native platnum immediately visible
This is gonna be good
>>
File: ettin_fight_1.webm (3MB, 976x720px) Image search: [Google]
ettin_fight_1.webm
3MB, 976x720px
The Ettin Itur Isonidek has come!
A giant humanoid monster with two heads.
>>
File: ettin_fight_2.webm (3MB, 976x720px) Image search: [Google]
ettin_fight_2.webm
3MB, 976x720px
Pause the video if you want to read the combat reports. I tried to get them all in the video but still keep a low filesize.
>>
File: 1349558848806.png (113KB, 1342x625px) Image search: [Google]
1349558848806.png
113KB, 1342x625px
>>150355827
>low filesize
>>
>>150355315
AND IT FUCKING CRASHED RIGHT BEFORE I SAVED IT
>>
File: ettin_fight_3.webm (2MB, 976x720px) Image search: [Google]
ettin_fight_3.webm
2MB, 976x720px
>>150355935
s-sorry. want me to make a screencap of the logs?
>>
>>150356073

no but I wanna see that entrance b0ss
>>
>>150355935
4chan has filesize limits.
>>
question:
are there bugs related to stockpiles? i have my gem setters sitting next to thousands of finished goods and some other hundreds of cutted gems, and they keep cancelling jobs because unavailable materials.
do i have to throw it all to the magma and start over?
>>
>>150356278
Are you using burrows? Are they set to burrow-only stockpiles?
>>
>>150356278
>>150356353
It's bins. It's always bins.
>>
>>150356353
nah, no burrows.
>>150356489
i guess its the bins, are they bugged? should i offer them to the lava goddess? i mean, i dont give a shit, my place is up and running and at least i'll make my 40 something dorfs haul shit for once
>>
>>150357072
Yeah, ditch the bins. make sure your stockpiles are set to disallow them, and forbid or destroy the ones you have
>>
>>150357190
so keep bins at 0? gotcha, thankx
>>
>>150356153
>>150356073
>>
>>150357536
>>
File: 1468954646548.gif (2MB, 400x220px) Image search: [Google]
1468954646548.gif
2MB, 400x220px
>playing casual-venture mode
>travel a really long ways to a kobold camp because people in my starting fortress were complaining about it
>kill 2 kobolds and loot some stuff
>see nothing else so I leave
>first settlement I encounter still mentions the kobold camp is bothering them
Is there like a definitive way to conquer camps or did I miss a kobold somewhere?
>>
File: amudlogem.png (39KB, 667x195px) Image search: [Google]
amudlogem.png
39KB, 667x195px
>>150357731
>>
File: noice.png (100KB, 241x207px) Image search: [Google]
noice.png
100KB, 241x207px
>>150357536
shame about the boulders in your waterways
>>
>>150357954
I can dry out the whole works though, if I really wanted those boulders.
>>
File: untitled.png (29KB, 519x585px) Image search: [Google]
untitled.png
29KB, 519x585px
>>150358395
forgot pic
>>
Can I check the kill list of this werebeast I killed in fortress mode?
>>
File: bad times.jpg (28KB, 732x133px) Image search: [Google]
bad times.jpg
28KB, 732x133px
bad times ahead I think
>>
>>150346661
>>150352696
>>150355061
Is there a way to get the colors like in the first screenshot? The set posted leaves the colors unchanged.
>>
>>150359931
You need to change your /init/colors.txt
>>
>>150359695
Turn your fortress into Gator Land and awe visitors and adversaries alike with your stunning collection of crocodilians. Gator leather everything! Gator bone everything! Gator meat for years!
>>
Why isn't my squad getting amor?

It's set to training, every dwarf has metal armor uniform assigned, all uniform parts are sitting in an armor stockpile next to the barracks and aren't forbidden.
>>
>>150361393
maybe can't be worn over their current clothing, try setting it to replace
>>
>>150361393
Try toggling wear above clothes/ replace clothes. in the military equip screen
>>
>>150361476
>>150361524
ty that worked
>>
Is there any way to construct circular towers that isnt extremely slow and meticulous? Love the aesthetic but hate the slow tedious block by block designation
>>
>>150362756
You can use a DFHack plugin, or designate it manually.
Copypasted from (http://dfhack.readthedocs.io/en/stable/docs/Plugins.html)

>digcircle
>A command for easy designation of filled and hollow circles. It has several types of options.
>
>Shape:
>
>hollow: Set the circle to hollow (default)
>filled: Set the circle to filled
>#: Diameter in tiles (default = 0, does nothing)
>Action:
>
>set: Set designation (default)
>unset: Unset current designation
>invert: Invert designations already present
>Designation types:
>
>dig: Normal digging designation (default)
>ramp: Ramp digging
>ustair: Staircase up
>dstair: Staircase down
>xstair: Staircase up/down
>chan: Dig channel
>After you have set the options, the command called with no options repeats with the last selected parameters.
>
>Examples:
>
>digcircle filled 3
>Dig a filled circle with diameter = 3.
>digcircle
>Do it again.
>>
>>150290610
It happened again! This time it was a human pikeman in the (again, crowded) barracks, and still no witnesses. I don't mind so long as they don't target my dwarves, but I can't find any info to reassure me that they'll keep killing other guests.
>>
>>150363423
what if

they are all vampires covering for each other
>>
hey i'm new to game and i downloaded the game last year and i was wondering if i should update to the skin im seein on here as it looks weird but i'm not sure if it's better
>>
File: 1454226818907.jpg (53KB, 651x807px) Image search: [Google]
1454226818907.jpg
53KB, 651x807px
>>150365064

yes the new skin is much better
>>
>>150363423
I'd report it and hope the toad bundles it with the next update.
>>
>>150365150
Don't be a dick.
>>
>>150365253
know a place i could get help without sarcasm
>>
>>150365409
read the DF wiki pages on graphics sets and tilesets
>>
>>150365409
Join us at https://webchat.freenode.net/ on #dwarffortress and we can give you real time help. Tilesets are pretty easy.
>>
Are there any tilesets updated for the latest version?

All the ones I use keep having glitches in their name or I just don't plain like them

Whats the closest thing to phoebus in the latest release?
>>
>>150365997

Fuck me, an update was just posted in the forums a few days ago fuck the police gat gat gat
>>
>Thief! Protect the hoard from this skulking filth!
>Kobold thief spotted outside the main entrance!
>She's running away, having achieved nothing
>She is crying
>>
File: Capture.png (360KB, 1286x721px) Image search: [Google]
Capture.png
360KB, 1286x721px
anyone know the name of this tileset
>>
>>150365064
>>150365409

Not him, but the question you asked doesn't mean anything. People have posted in this thread with a bunch of different tilesets, so it's not clear which you mean, if that's what you're talking about at all. They aren't official parts of the game, they're user created content that only changes the appearance. If you downloaded the game a year ago, you should update to the latest version irrespective of any cosmetic changes you might consider.

Does that help?
>>
>>150367006
my knowledge is severely limited at the time being so ya, the tileset just helps my brain process the intricacies of an already complicated game
>>
File: a grievous error.png (263KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
a grievous error.png
263KB, 1920x1080px
I decided to where put some control rooms on a whim, and now the halls leading to them have to be asymmetrical to accommodate my plumbing. And I misdug a square, so I'm going to have those tiles visible forever.
The one time I don't autismally plan an addition... Well, I learned my lesson.
>>
>>150367362

You could reshape the outside a bit so it looks like they were always exposed
>>
My fort is sitting on a ton of nickel, time to find the magma sea to make it even worth smelting it all.
>>
>>150357824
They haven't been told about it yet.

>>150366813
That's the Spacefox graphics set and tileset.

Graphics: critters and stuff, in df/data/save/region#/raw/graphics or df/raw/graphics folders, optional.

Tilesets: map and furniture and corpse tiles, text, and so forth, in df/data/art folder, required*.

*Technically not required if you're playing in a terminal in ncurses mode, but you aren't.
>>
>>150367362
Wait til dfhack catches up, then:

tiletypes
paint h 1 l 0
range 3 1 1

Put cursor on the left square of the 3 and hit enter, then q to exit tiletypes.
>>
>>150367631
got a good video on how to install this shit
>>
>>150367570
I thought of that, but the tile I accidentally channeled out was the access ramp to the next ring up. I would have to expand the entire structure, which would conflict with the plumbing even more. I'm just going to have to accept it.
>>
Is there a "view all artifacts" button?
>>
>>150367941
http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2014:Graphics#Installation

>>150367847
I'm assuming that rehides the tiles? I'll consider it, but I might just let my fort have the scar.
>>
File: MoreJapaWizardry.png (663KB, 1600x900px) Image search: [Google]
MoreJapaWizardry.png
663KB, 1600x900px
>>150368306
Yar, paint h(idden) 1(on) l(ight) 0(off) and range 3 (x left/right) 1 (y up/down) 1 (z in/out) is how I'd do that spot since they drive me nuts.

You can also do a revflood with the cursor inside the pathable tiles and it could hide it properly, but the constructed walls might mess with that.
>>
>>150368565
Is that AV? What's with the blocky pink ring?
>>
>>150368214
L
>>
>>150368781
Nevermind, I just went to the AV thread.
>>
>>150368781
>>150370873
Yar, just the default background of the walls with unknown materials, damn impressive though.

I've got some campsite constructions I'm looking forward to seeing in av due to the silly shit I did with hidden supports and whatnot.
>>
>Some migrants have decided to brave this terrifying place, knowing it may be their tomb
Wow rude
>>
>>150371345
That happens when enough creatures die, or rarely for no reason. If it was caused by dead creatures, expect a steady decrease in migrants.
>>
Does the order of items in the uniform screen matter? Will things fuck up if I have a uniform set with Cloak-Mail Shirt-Breastplate vs Mail Shirt-Breastplate-Cloak?
>>
>>150372512

It's not indicative of how they will wear their items, for stacking mail shirts and breastplates for example you'll likely need to assign the mail shirts and once they're worn assign breastplates.
>>
File: funworldWOO.png (136KB, 1899x1007px) Image search: [Google]
funworldWOO.png
136KB, 1899x1007px
Just downloaded Taffy's sexy graphics set. Can't wait to get started after a long break from DF.

Popcap is strict 100. Visitor cap is only 5 (kek). I was sick of visitors wanting to join my military last time.

And progress trigger is at 0 as well as population trigger. Gobbies will hopefully come to rek my shit when I just start out. Going to be sick
>>
File: TafferMoscow.png (5KB, 320x320px) Image search: [Google]
TafferMoscow.png
5KB, 320x320px
>>150374104
I liked the Moscow set too.
>>
does anyone have any super high res images of a dwarf fortress world? im looking for a new wallpaper
>>
File: df_high_res_23.jpg (28KB, 376x271px) Image search: [Google]
df_high_res_23.jpg
28KB, 376x271px
>>150375074
>>
>>150375074
Just generate a world and export the map.
>>
>>150375640
Don't be a dick.
>>
File: holycraphugeworld.png (1MB, 2056x3084px) Image search: [Google]
holycraphugeworld.png
1MB, 2056x3084px
>>150375074
>>
File: I'll bet elves were behind this.png (55KB, 1289x229px) Image search: [Google]
I'll bet elves were behind this.png
55KB, 1289x229px
My first minecart injury in this fort happened while I was trying to make the track safer. No huge loss, he was only an adequate engraver.
>>
File: N1viY8S.png (224KB, 365x301px) Image search: [Google]
N1viY8S.png
224KB, 365x301px
>>150376142
It's always the elves. Don't you know that /dfg/ is always right?
>>
>>150375640
7/10 would strike
>>
File: trader.png (52KB, 1224x563px) Image search: [Google]
trader.png
52KB, 1224x563px
Nice caravan you have there. Be a shame if someone cleared it out with a fortune in marble statues of dwarves being hugged by anole women.
>>
Ok guys, i used to play on a pretty shit laptop which forced me to embark on 1x1 embark tiles. Now I have a better pc but I'm used to playing on 1x1. Embarking on 2x2 tiles is enourmous to me now. How do I deal with this, I just want a comfy small fort so most of the space is wasted anyway.
>>
>Troll! In the central stairway!
>Entire fortress punches it to death
>The worst it did was bruise a stray dog with a throw
Phew, time to wall that cavern entrance up until the militia is good and ready. Maybe I should have had a guard animal near the door to warn me when something nasty bashed it down.
>>
>>150379161
>left an open unguarded passway to the caverns
jesus christ
>>
>>150376695
>elves
>>
>>150379025
Just keep doing 1x1 embarks then.
There's nothing saying you absolutely have to use larger embarks.
>>
File: spider laugh.png (79KB, 420x222px) Image search: [Google]
spider laugh.png
79KB, 420x222px
>>150379226
The troll was the nastiest thing this fortress has seen so far (I forgot to make sure I was near gobbos, probably going to start fucking with the humans/elves in the next ingame year to start some trouble)

The last critter to cause problems was a giant olm that two plant gatherers managed to punch into submission without major injuries before the militia could come and cave its head in with an axe.
>>
>>150379430
Oh, I see.
Well, I guess I can forgive you, then.
>>
>>150379267
Oy vey! The goyim know our plans!
>>
And another fortress falls to a damned werebeast. This game seriously needs to let you kill dwarves that you know damn well were wounded by a werebeast.
>>
So like, does setting good biomes to 0 fuck up worldgen?
>>
>You can breed and release creatures into the wild, increasing the local populations (even past whatever the original pop was)
>Dwarf conservation program (If you do this you're probably an elf)

OR

Turn the surroundings into a hazard for all invaders/hapless travelers as all manner of feral monstrosity roams the wilds around your fortress of solitude.
>>
File: 9851354757226.png (3KB, 416x416px) Image search: [Google]
9851354757226.png
3KB, 416x416px
>>150379931
>wood furnace destroyed by dwarven baby
>>
>decide to look at the list of creatures some optional addon for Masterwork adds
>werebeast types
>titanic weresharks that would probably be equivalent to someone spontaneously turning into godzilla
WHY WOULD YOU EVER WANT THAT
>>
>>150380385
Talk about a... *sunglasses* temper tantrum.
>>
>>150380735
Do you mean the Cross Wereshark? I'm no good with DF sizes, could someone explain if 1242000 is significantly large?
>>
Will Toady add the ability to armor wawrbeasts, allowing us to reenact the opening of Conan The Barbarian?
>>
File: wallpaper1.png (1MB, 3080x1732px) Image search: [Google]
wallpaper1.png
1MB, 3080x1732px
>>150375074
>>150376106
Rotated and resized to 16:9. Enjoy.
>>
>>150381046
1000 cm3 is roughly 1kg
So dwarvers are 60000 cm in cube or 60 kg on average
>>
>>150381046
A dwarf has 60.000 it's basically volume
>>
>>150379931
Isolate the diseased cells...
>>
>>150381046
just imagine the thing and the size in a real life cube and then spread it with your imagination

you see a giant lion is 1700000cm3, if you imagine a cube like that and spread that shit on a lions body you'll realize they're really fucking big
>>
>>150379226
Live life on the edge fampalampa. I always keep open access to the caverns for my silk weaving industry.
>>
>>150381709
So 4099000 is like 100 feet cubed right?
>>
>>150381689

Unless there is a way to carry a bleeding dwarf somewhere and wall him off, I see no way of isolating him.
>>
>>150381709
1700000cm3 is a pretty meaningless number. It's actually about 1.7 cubic metres, which is about what you'd expect from a lion.
>>
>>150379430
I usually get a couple of Forgotten Beasts per year through the caverns... usually easily dealt with but every now and then there's a Hard Shelled Giant Kangaroo with Venomous Breath that kills both my squads :(
>>
>>150381831
Burro(w)s mate. If you want a dwarf somewhere, use a burrow. If he's too injured to go there himself, then he will likely be taken to hospital. Then just wall him off there.
>>
>>150381831
Turn that "Hospital" into a "Hospice", if you get my drift!
>>
>>150381853
A lion is not a cube, that's why I said to spread that in a lion's shape, which is gigantic.
>>
>>150381936

Too late for that now. The entire fortress has gone so mad that I can't get anything done.
>>
>>150382079
I sure hope you thought ahead and built a safehouse for the sane dwarves.
>>
How do I defeat vaults?

There's a really badass demon in my world and I want to bind them.
>>
Before I make a huge mistake, does stone laying about on tracks in any way cause problems for pushed, not guided, carts? Also, what happens if I push the cart and it doesn't have enough speed to reach a stop?
>>
>>150379905

plants*
>>
>>150381853

1,7 cbm is almost two tonnes of bone and tissue

a really big lion weighs 250 kg

giant lions are fucking huge
>>
>>150382157

No chance of doing that now.
>>
guys guys

I have a clever idea

is it possible to build two bridges at the entrance, where one blocks the entrance while the other will atom smash the invaders gnawing at the entrance bridge?
>>
>>150382176
Help, please.
>>
>>150383529

one opens inwards, the other outwards. pretty straight-forward
>>
So I cart I pushed stopped on a ramp, of all the places, and it lost all speed. Now what? I used the calculator off the bay12 forums and it showed me that it would go at a ludicrous speed soon enough, but three corners in a row depleted so much speed that not even three downward ramps in a row helped. Damn it all, should have set to guide.
>>
>>150384396
Well the cart was picked up and hauled back to the stop, figures.

Now that that's cleared up, what happens if I change the layout of the tracks between two stops while the cart isn't moving? Will it go the same way it did before, or will it take the shorter path?
>>
File: dante1.gif (27KB, 676x992px) Image search: [Google]
dante1.gif
27KB, 676x992px
It's well known that Toady's going to implement a mechanic for travelling between different "planes" of existance. You know what would be really cool? If some of these planes were located on other celestial bodies.

Since the next major release arc(after artifacts) is going to be concentrated on myth and cosmology, having RNG'd celestial bodies is kinda essential. Using magic to actually visit those planets(all with their own myths and deties tied to them). Of course, the ability to visit the celestial bodies, as well as what you actually find there, should depend on the extent to which myth and reality intertwine in a given world. A higher fantasy setting would mean more visitable planets with more "content" in the form of deities, angels, spirits, ancient races and cities, et cetera.

These new mechanics for generating and interacting with celestial bodies would also give the astronomers something meaningful to do.

Pic highly related. Read Paradiso and get hyped.
>>
How the hell do dwarves climb up trees if they are unable to get down? Is it because of those damn bluejays interrupting their tasks? Should I just cut down all the trees?
>>
>>150385160
>Should I just cut down all the trees?

n-no please don't do that trees have feelings too
>>
>>150385160
>>150329993

Seriously though, Toady stopped the dwarves from climbing except during extreme cirmumstances, such as during fights or if they somehow fall off a ledge. This means that dorfs who get spooked by wild animals will flee by climbing up a tree, and as soon as the animal disappears and the battle ends, the dorfs will be unable to climb down.
>>
>>150384736
Inb4 lovecraftian hell dimension.
>>
>>150385503
The funny thing is that it's the giant bluejayswho are circling the skies who keep scaring them, and instead of running somewhere else they climb a tree.

>>150385484
Maybe not all the trees, but just now I cut the one where one of my legendary dwarfs was and he fell 3 or 4 levels with no injuries.
>>
>>150386014

o-ok I'll let you cut one t-tree this season
>>
Alright, since the sudden 4chan hiccup stopped me from asking: do random stones and items on tracks slow down a cart? I just pushed it and it slowed down way too fast in relation to what the minecart calculator was showing. Does anyone know if that calculator is any good at all?
>>
New therapist when?
>>
Do you think that too much realism will hurt DF?

I think some aspects should stay simplified before it becomes a chore. I fear that it will be too much one day.
>>
>>150387669
As long as there are goofy and unrealistic exploits it's still dorfy. But I fear that too.
>>
>>150387669

Yeah sure, things like multi tile creatures I think would be a detriment (but I don't think we'll ever see them beyond wagons)
>>
>>150387770
>Implying multi-tile creatures won't be the dopest shit
>>
>>150387669
>clothier needs needles
>craftdwarves need carving knives
>smith needs hammer
>your fortress needs torches/candles or dwarves will be unhappy for being too long in the darkness
>traps need a power source and don't reset automatically
>>
>>150387969

Realistically it would never work.

There are creatures that would be the size of a 3x3 map.
>>
>>150388079
Ok well they don't need to me like 100% accurate, but I still feel they could be larger.
>>
>>150388079
what the fuck

what fuckign animals get that big
>>
>>150388141
Biggest problem imo is lots of big creatures could never get into your fort.

Unless they could dig.

I'm keen for hydras with different tiles for each head and many-z level tall colussi
>>
>>150388226
Giant blue whale, or the giant sperm whale.
>>
>>150388226

semen whales
>>
Setting up muh first ballistae

HYPE

>>150388226
dragons.
>>
>>150388291
I believe the idea would be for them to break down your walls or whatever. And yeah they could just dig.
>>
>>150388437
>Fort has been suffering heavily from weregiraffe infection
>I find one dwarf with some injuries in the hospital part of the fort, there's a pool of weregiraffe blood under her.

Uhhhhhhhh
I think she might be infected.
Should I wall her off?
>>
>>150388628
oops, didn't mean to quote.
>>
>>150388628
just wait until everyone is infected

no problems
>>
>>150388716
>let another 80 or so dwarves die
yes.

Also I found the fight log, she got the injuries fighting a badgerdog. Why she's bleeding weregiraffe despite not being one is beyond me,
>>
>>150388828
probably walked in weregiraffe blood then it came off when she got cleaned
>>
>>150388079

that's great, then we can embark on them
>>
File: psl halp.png (9KB, 424x217px) Image search: [Google]
psl halp.png
9KB, 424x217px
I'm trying to make my first own creature graphic sets, but they won't work. What am I doing wrong?
>>
>>150384736
>Jerusalem is in Hell
Deepest lore
>>
>>150389939
Actually, it isn't. It's on the surface. But you have to go through hell and purgatory to reach paradise from it.
>>
l-lewd
>>
>>150388079
Just make the creatures smaller, adjust their scale to something not absurd and it works. The biggest problem is making each tile a different part and make them move around and face multiple directions.
>>
>>150389659
This is what I have:
[TILE_PAGE:DWARVES]
[FILE:Curses+1Races.png]
[TILE_DIM:32:48]
[PAGE_DIM:10:7]
[CREATURE_GRAPHICS:DWARF]
[DEFAULT:DWARVES:0:0:ADD_COLOR]

[STANDARD:DWARVES:0:0:AS_IS:DEFAULT]

So where you have DEFAULT:DEFGRAPHICS it should be DEFAULT:ELVES I thinnk.
>>
>>150392051
Actually, I got it to work. The problem was that the text file hand the folder had the same name. As soon as I renamed the text file, I got it to work.

>So where you have DEFAULT:DEFGRAPHICS it should be DEFAULT:ELVES I thinnk.
DEFGRAPHICS referred to the tilesheet on which I had tiles for ALL civilised races.

Thanks for the help anyway.
>>
File: 1411140677455.jpg (5KB, 152x225px) Image search: [Google]
1411140677455.jpg
5KB, 152x225px
>>150389939
10/10
>>
File: Curses+1Races.png (19KB, 320x336px) Image search: [Google]
Curses+1Races.png
19KB, 320x336px
>>150392364
Yeah, I used the same tilesheet for all the races too.
>>
>>150393483

i don't know what's going on here but it looks seriously fagged up
>>
>>150393483
Another question: what's the easiest way to apply one universal civilian tile and one universal soldier tile for each race, similar to how the vanilla tileset works? I'm the author of the comfyset, and I'm thinking of adding (completely optional) graphic tiles for the main races.
>>
So what challenge should i have for my fortress? Please make it something not boring or undoable because i tried to make a fortress with a military of wrestlers but when i went to attack a giant camel they did nothing but bruise it for an entire season. If even a single capable enemy comes by it'll be as if i don't have a military.
>>
>>150393874

divert a river under the mountain and build your fort around it. all rooms need fresh, flowing water
>>
File: VorpalCursesClassic.png (14KB, 384x576px) Image search: [Google]
VorpalCursesClassic.png
14KB, 384x576px
>>150393558
The light colors show up better with the way the game does profession colors, and they're outdated anyways, gotta make new ones at some point.

>>150393681
I think you still need to define each of the tiles, or do like I did with the goblin/kobold soldier tiles and define them in the raw/creature_standard.txt file.
>>
>>150394482

and the gay-ass monocles and mustaches?
>>
>>150394621
That's your hangups dude, level your manliness.
>>
File: troglodyte.jpg (10KB, 300x186px) Image search: [Google]
troglodyte.jpg
10KB, 300x186px
>>150394621
>and the gay-ass monocles and mustaches?
>>
I forgot to restrict traffic carefully over the dumping ground, two of my best fighters died because trash fell on their heads, while as stonefall traps and catapults are measly sources of damage. isn't so fun. If it was any other month they'd be training, but no, it had to be on their off time.
>>
What should my fps and graphical fps be capped at?
I don't even know what Gfps is
>>
>>150387969
mutli-tile giant snakes!
>>
So are military uniforms flawed? It says that a dwarf has gauntlet equiped but do i have to manually have to add a second gauntlet or high boot?
>>
>>150388079
>There are creatures that would be the size of a 3x3 map
No there aren't.
One embark tile is 48x48 tiles. Toady's estimate for tile size puts a tile at 2x2x3 meters, giving us 96m horizontally. The largest creature in the game is the giant sperm whale. Wikipedia has sperm whales top out at 20.5m long. The raws give us [CHANGE_BODY_SIZE_PERC:800] for giant sperm whales, meaning they're 8x larger than mundane sperm whales. That gives us 164m for the longest axis of the largest example of the largest creature in the game, which has it fitting inside 2 embark tiles with room to spare. Again, on its longest axis.

That's the most extreme example the game can currently produce, and that's without any tweaking to the estimate of tile size, which is entirely arbitrary and can be changed to accommodate whatever system Toady lands on. It's going to happen eventually, and it will work just fine.
>>
>>150396036
Fps is how fast the game speed is kind of. I cap this one at 60. Gfps I cap around 5-10 because you dont really need more than 10 anyway
>>
How do I easily find stuff pertaining to my forts in the legends mode? I wanna see if I killed any important gobbo or ended someones big conquest while playing my fort.
>>
>>150397182
make a backup save file, retire your fort, enter legends mode I guess?
legends viewer is great if you don't have it
>>
>>150396460
No and no.
>>
File: compilation.png (2MB, 1485x1182px) Image search: [Google]
compilation.png
2MB, 1485x1182px
Decided to make this for those who struggle with inspiration for fort layouts.
>>
File: Stopica_cave_entrance.jpg (610KB, 1024x687px) Image search: [Google]
Stopica_cave_entrance.jpg
610KB, 1024x687px
>>150397834

woah woah what's with this "open to the air" faggotry?
>>
File: Untitled.png (7KB, 1606x173px) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.png
7KB, 1606x173px
>goblin outpost liason
>mental image of female goblins is always lewd
>>
>>150397834
>not including Petra

Fault.
>>
>>150397448
Do you know how can I find a specific region on the world map with the viewer?
>>
File: MTE5NTU2MzE2MjM0MzUyMTM5.jpg (13KB, 300x300px) Image search: [Google]
MTE5NTU2MzE2MjM0MzUyMTM5.jpg
13KB, 300x300px
>browsing DF dictionaries
>suddenly this
Wonder if that was intentional.
>>
Fuck
Posted the wrong Al Gor
>>
>>150401050
Why do you have pics of al gore m8?
>>
>>150401317
This is the right question
>>
>>150382157
Huh... never thought of building a safe house for when my fortress spirals out of control...
>>
>>150380172

Fucking with the settings can always break worldgen, especially with things that might be affected by two separate variables (weights & final counts). Do research on the wiki/forums, try again with different values, etc.
>>
>>150400907
>>150401050
>Posted the wrong Al Gor
How? Their filenames are nothing alike.
>>
>>150393558
It's the moustaches and colours that really add to its gay vibe
>>
>>150402068
I blindly grabbed it from the only small clean island I have on my desktop
>>
>>150401972
>not always setting the finals to 0
It's almost like you WANT all your sweet mountainlake worlds get thrown into the trash.
>>
>>150402275
Like I said, the light colors show up better with how the game handles professions, and you need to level your manliness* if you're threatened by a moustache.

*Grow a beard, kiddo.
>>
>>150402597
I actually have a mustache at the moment and am not an ass lord, but there is something very homo erotic about the design. Just my opinion :^)
>>
>>150402323
That makes it even weirder. Why do you have pictures of al gore on your desktop?
>>
File: 12000-dwarfbucks.png (143KB, 1839x335px) Image search: [Google]
12000-dwarfbucks.png
143KB, 1839x335px
>statuette of a footrace
>oh also it has an engraving of a dude murdering his shrew wife
>his name was Justicelash

couldn't make this shit up if i tried
>>
>>150403841
"screaming woman spouse" is a kind of night creature I think, look up "night troll" on the wiki
>>
>>150404064
This is correct.
>>
>>150403841
>screaming woman spouse
That's not anyone's wife. It's a man who got kidnapped, raped and disfigured by a monster girl(in this case a "screaming woman"). He became the spouse of the monster girl.
>>
>>150404064

my version is better
>>
and then there's that moment when you realize that you made your several hundred tiles big plaza out of microcline rather than microcline blocks
>>
File: Untitled.png (30KB, 372x474px) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.png
30KB, 372x474px
>>150402809
>not having a folder of imageboards so large you don't remember half the stuff on there
>>
The population cap must be set at embark, or be kept during all times you are playing a specific fort?
>>
>>150406557
>tfw you used to have a huge meme folder full of pepes and spurdos, but then you grew up and deleted it
I still have a dedicated /dfg/ folder that's pretty big, though, although it's 90% screenshots.
>>
>>150404281
Spouse Of The Monster Girl would be a good movie title.
>>
>>150406769
you can change it. might need to restart DF, not sure. adjusting it down when you're over the (new) cap won't eliminate citizens though
>>
>>150406769
In previous versions changes would be set after a merchant visited you.
>>
>>150406557

you seem to be missing a zero there buddy
>>
File: goblin lashers.jpg (38KB, 480x286px) Image search: [Google]
goblin lashers.jpg
38KB, 480x286px
ded thred is ded
>>
>>150389939
The lore is actually that hell will rise/unleash the circus from the earth beneath Jerusalem or something iirc
>>
>>150411519
Hammerers make do with what they have.
>>
>>150413417
You're talking about the videogame, anon.
>>
>>150413582

The Soldier strikes the Wrestler on the head with the +Grown Acacia Warhammer+, bruising the muscle!
>>
Vampire in the tavern it seems, any ideas/tips on figuring out if its a guest or a native? I don't think I've ever had a vampire before.

Just before the mayoral elections, too. hmmmm
>>
>>150415557
http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2014:Vampire#Identification
>>
>>150415889
Righto, once I find the fucker they're going straight into the magma sea.

If the vamp's a guest can I just order the militia to kill them or will that cause loyalty problems?
>>
>>150408286
Reread my image and then compare it to yours
My autism is greater than yours
>>
is there any mods that add orcs and dinosaurs?
>>
Should we send a card to Toady for the anniversary?
>>
>>150418596
Mebbe?
>>
Only sand walls disintegrate when they fall down? I'm trying to breach the aquifer with some peat.
>>
>make an amazing quickfort layout in dwarf mockup
>embark, magnetite and limestone everywhere, df hack detects native gold silver and plat
>cant make fort because fucking clay loam and peat take up first 2 z levels

JUST
>>
File: ayy.png (18KB, 579x47px) Image search: [Google]
ayy.png
18KB, 579x47px
reminder that if you aren't being sarcastic to every elf you meet, you're playing the game wrong
>>
>>150416879
It can cause some minor loyalty issues if the vamp has friends that are already citizens of your fort. It usually doesn't escalate to a full blown loyalty cascade. Usually.
Most of the time you can murder visitors with no consequence, though.
>>
>>150388360
when a ballistae bolt hit an enemy in my fort, the game crashed.
Just a warning there bud.
>>
>>150329807

Anyone got the latest Lazy Newb Pack for windows? Can you host a zip? The repository dl seems to be getting DNS errors.
>>
>>150422574
>it's almost harvesting season
>>
>>150421596
http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2014:Cave-in#Results_of_a_cave-in
>>
>Traders bring nothing but wood and food and mountains of cloths

>nothing but cooper ore to use for militia

>Entire militia clad in cooper and silver maces and hammers

This is suffering
>>
>>150418596
let's do that, if any, Toady deserves it
>>
someone suggest some more gimmicks to go with my fort of dwarven savages
>militia decked out entirely in non-metal gear
>no doors, raising/retracting bridges, or smoothed floors anywhere in the fort
>no soap, no new clothing other than military gear
>garbage, corpses, and refuse all thrown into one huge pile in the middle of the fort
>domestic fowl left to wander and dig up vermin as they please in the main hallway/dining area/meeting space
>>
File: Untitled.png (16KB, 1488x1039px) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.png
16KB, 1488x1039px
When i embarked the goblin civs had several red lines on them instead of saying WAR and i looked it up online and several people said that it means you're at war. I finally decided to check the civs screen after i got a bunch of migrants and it says the only nearby goblin civ is at peace with everyone what the fuck.
Also all the people in my dwarven settlements are goblins
>>
>>150426108
the goblins will probably invade within a year or two of you hitting 80 pop, then that screen will change to saying "war"
>>
>>150425961
Edit the raw files to make dwarves accept the devouring of sapient creatures.
Whenever elves or goblins come in just butcher them and server their roasted heads to your children.
>>
I just got a message: "No outpost liaison? how curious..." Except for the obvious part that there is no diplomat, does that signify anything else?
>>
>>150426347
he's dead or your civilization is dying.
in the first case, he'll be replaced, in the second one, no
>>
>>150426347
your civ is (was?) dead (or mostly dead)
if you keep a close eye on the names of the merchants and guards that arrived with the caravan, you'll probably see one of them come back as the outpost liaison next year (or maybe in 2-3 years)
>>
>>150426482
>>150426529
Now I remember, I think I picked a dead civ. What happens if I play long enough with the dead civ fort, then retire it and make another one of the same civ?
>>
>>150426757
it'll be just like playing a normal fort
in fact, your current fort will be pretty much just like playing a normal fort, except for a few years of no outpost liaison, and one of your citizens likely turning into the monarch within the first year or two
>>
>>150418596
>>150418986
>>150425925
We should attach a crayon drawing :^)
>>
File: DoingYourPart.png (35KB, 1706x111px) Image search: [Google]
DoingYourPart.png
35KB, 1706x111px
Have you appeased Armok today /dfg/?
>>
>>150427579
Someone light the Timbukdrew signal, we need a well-hung Toad pictures, stat!
>>
>>150427021
Reading up on the civ, I see that they were conquered by goblins. Now here is something I don't understand well. It says the goblins have chosen a new king for the civ (looking in the legends viewer). Will I have to bow down to him, or will I have a monarch of my own in some time?
>>
>>150427879
The elves asked me to stop logging, so I killed all my woodcutters using retracting drawbridges and death pits. I then melted their axes down and forged them(using magma powered melters and forges, of course) into statues showing my king prostrating himself before the elven queen. i subsequently offered all of the said statues to the elves, who accepted them and left happily.
>>
>>150428554
if it's your civ that he's the king of, then he's your king already, no bowing down necessary, and no you won't get a monarch of your own
>>
>>150428942
It makes me wanna shank him in adventure mode.

Can I ask you something else? It says that through the init file I can freely set a population cap, but that 80 dwarves are needed to attract a monarch, and 100 for all the features. What are those features that need 100+ dwarves? I was planning to make a tiny 2x1 fort somewhere on the ocean far away from the mountain homes, and then I saw that there are hidden features I don't know about.
>>
>>150429249
not sure honestly. it used to be 80+ for sieges and 140+ for a monarch (to arrive from elsewhere that is, if one of your dwarves suddenly becomes king, pop doesn't matter)
it might still be like that, but I haven't got a monarch arriving through pop increase in ages
I don't know of any other features that are strictly pop-linked
>>
>>150427879
I would wager that more than an artery was opened.
>>
>>150425961
Assign war crundles to your entire militia, as many as you can train.

You can only use cavern wood.

No brewing plump helmets.

Every bedroom in your fort must be collapsible, and if a dwarf is convicted of a crime, they're executed via cave-in. No other justice system.
>>
>>150430448
>Every bedroom in your fort must be collapsible, and if a dwarf is convicted of a crime, they're executed via cave-in. No other justice system.
Shit, this is a good idea. too late to set that up now, but I'll have any criminals sealed inside their bedrooms as they sleep, leave them there and have a slab put up outside it after they die
>>
>>150430448
>No brewing plump helmets.
You're mad, Urist! MAD!
>>
I dont fucking get it, how am I suppose to feed the prisioners in my shit pit if I cant put a stockpile over a hatch?
please somebody help, this is so unnerving
>>
>>150417856

what, you think the filesize is impressive? lomarf
>>
Why the fuck are my goblin prisoner escaping from their cages all the time

they run of and interfere with the miners all the time
>>
>>150432721
First I've ever heard of that. You trapped them into the cages, right?
>>
File: ss+(2016-08-03+at+12.04.44).jpg (334KB, 1591x819px) Image search: [Google]
ss+(2016-08-03+at+12.04.44).jpg
334KB, 1591x819px
Trying to make different areas for squad equipping, sleeping and training.

Why doesn't this fucking thing have a "Make barracks" option on it. Yes, it's been placed.
>>
>>150425961

soap is five thousand years old, anon
>>
>>150432939
What did you press? Because that doesn't look like (q)
>>
>>150432783

indeed good old golden cages

nothing like blending them to death
>>
>>150432939

q
>>
>>150433128
>>150433194

Ah fuck, you're right. It's the shitty pseudo-mouse control mod defaulting to viewing the items on the tile, rather than the actually useful thing.
>>
>>150431642
please, how can I dump stuff down a hole if I cant design a place over it to be done?
>>
>>150431092

eh, he can just brew sweet pods instead
>>
>>150433286
You can't designate a stockpile over an empty space. What you can do is make a stockpile for food close by, and designate one of the tiles next to the hole for dumping, which will make them walk up to that tile and dump stuff you have designated for dumping into that hole.
>>
>>150425961
Build a floating castle by exploiting the bug where ice melting when the seasons change doesn't check for collapses.

So build an ice tower during the winter and then build a castle out of constructions ontop of it. You can safely get to it only during the winter, as if you build a staircase up to it it'll collapse when it;s removed.

Alternatively, you might be able to rig something with a goblin behind a raising bridge used to chase dwarves across a jump.

Actually, that idea itself is interesting. A room with glass window walls surrounded by monsters that forces any dwarf inside to panic and jump/climb around an obstacle course to escape.
>>
File: MadeUseOfTheWaterfallThisTime.png (81KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
MadeUseOfTheWaterfallThisTime.png
81KB, 1920x1080px
>>150434178
I thought the seasons thing was fixed.
>>
>>150433065
savage in the more general "disgusting, aggressive, violent" sense, not the pseudo-anthropological "doesn't live in a city and isn't western" sense
basically I want loads of gore, deaths, unhappiness, and tantrums
>>
>>150434418
Only one way to find out!
>>
>>150330073
>http://thestonedgamer.com/interviews/item/863-simulate-your-very-own-fantasy-universe-looking-at-a-decade-of-dwarf-fortress
>This is the stoned gamer after all, so I'm most likely legally obligated to ask: the Dwarves in the DF universe are quite literally functional alcoholics. In the same vein, have any mind-altering substances been used as aids in the creative process in making DF?
Meth
>>
What are some good water sources besides alcohol and streams/rivers? How do I harness the power of muddy ponds for my well?
>>
>>150429249
>>150429818
It's still 140 for a monarch, Toady is just (amusingly) wrong. 80 is the minimum for civs to siege you without modding a lowernprogress trigger. 50 is required for the upgrade from expedition leader to mayor and sherrif to captain of the guard. 50 is also the default minimum for titan attacks and for ambushes (which are probably not in the game anymore. 20 is required to get a baron/count/duke and to get strange moods. Those are all of the population-locked features.
There isn't anything that triggers at 100 pop (that I'm aware of). I think at line is just a vestige of bygone versions.
>>
>>150435872
aquifers are amazing because they're unlimited and clean. if you don't have one, look up "cistern" on the wiki. you'll want to put the muddy water through a screw pump as well.
>>
>>150436350
What about digging through them?
>>
>>150436434
aquifers or ponds?
and digging through them for what purpose?
>>
>>150436434

it's lots of fun
>>
>>150436695
Digging through Aquifers for ore/multiple fort Z-levels.
>>
>>150436792
less amazing, admittedly
go around if you can, try picking an embark that has a non-aquifer biome
failing that, the freezing and cave-in methods listed on the wiki aren't too difficult, provided the thing is only a few z-levels deep
>>
>>150436792
What about it?
>>
>>150437124
That guy needs a word of warning though, collapsing sand to make aquifer plugs doesn't work as sand disintegrates upon falling down. You need stone for that. Not sure about stuff like peat, loam, clay and the rest of soils.
>>
>>150437240
Is it a pain in the ass?
>>
>>150435851
right after he talks about a game that he did with his brother in a 36 hours programming session

Did he actually try meth or is it a maymay?
>>150437321
Do you actually know what you are playing right? you should know the answer
>>
>>150437426
Dwarf fort isn't too difficult IMO. However, I've never tried an aquifer before.
>>
>>150433626
but, they put the food in the other tiles instead, does it really work?
>>
This has to be the most interesting damn forest retreat ever, over half of it has evil glaciers creeping over it, and just outside is some sweet fucking husking weather.
>>
>>150437531
Difficult, no, But anything more complicated than what's strictly necessary for survival has a tendancy to be complicated and easy to fuck up, and unforgiving when you do.
>>
>>150437426
>Did he actually try meth or is it a maymay?
http://www.nytimes.com/2011/07/24/magazine/the-brilliance-of-dwarf-fortress.html?_r=0
Yeah, once.
>>
>>150397024
So, once multi-tile creatures are in, sea behemoths will really exist?

Just trigger my deep sea fear senpai
>>
>>150437321
It can be until you're familiar with the process(es). First it's a trial, then it's a ritual, then it's a routine, then it's a chore. Like many other fort setup procedures. Unlike most other fort setup procedures, you can easily mod aquifers away.
I recommend embarking on aquifers and piercing them until you're really good at it. Once it isn't a barrier for you anymore, feel free to mod them away if you don't need/want them.
>>
>>150438917
they will "exist," but you'll still only ever get ravens and albatrosses on your map
>>
>>150438917
They'd better or I'm demanding a refund.

Sea monsters and sea serpents are already a thing, I's love to see them multitile.
>>
>>150439164
>>150439141
I'm horrified at just the idea of multi-tile sea monsters
>>
File: edwarf.png (2MB, 1198x717px) Image search: [Google]
edwarf.png
2MB, 1198x717px
anyone know the name of this tileset
>>
>>150438930

alternate view: fuck aquifers, just turn that shit off
>>
>>150438917
I'm a bit ambivalent on multi-tile creatures. On one hand, it'll eliminate the problem of adventurers walking up a huge dragon in its 3 tile wide cave and lopping the head that should be like 6 z-levels out of reach right off, but on the other hand how would they even look in the time scale of the game? I'm assuming the creatures will generally be the right "shape", with limbs and wings and such, but how will it represent movements? Is the back left third toe going to teleport the length of its body to cleave you in half in a game tick? Or is it going to be a static shape with no animation, sort of like a cutout that always retains the same shape regardless of whatever movements it's supposedly doing?
>>
>>150432939
whats this tileset
>>
>>150439790

isn't that just phoebus? it's definitely one of the LNP ones at least
>>
File: ss+(2016-08-03+at+01.22.41).png (51KB, 395x719px) Image search: [Google]
ss+(2016-08-03+at+01.22.41).png
51KB, 395x719px
>>150440098
>>
File: DF_personalities_1_r9k.jpg (274KB, 1024x508px) Image search: [Google]
DF_personalities_1_r9k.jpg
274KB, 1024x508px
so, one of the reasons I love the game is the personality system. I expect it to be bettered a lot in the future, but until then, post interest personalities that remind you of someone, or personalities you would like to find in real life
I start with /r9k/ encarnated
>>150439326
Krakens

Talking about that, im weirdly more excited about the damage system of vehicules on colisions or caused by animal attacks.
Like, physics used to calculate how much and were should the damage of a hit occur in the boat.
Maybe a ´´water´´ indicator for when your ship is sinking and you want to know where and how big are the holes, and if you'll make it to the next coast before sinking
>>
>>150439869
There's a 99.9% chance that the "huge dragon" is the size of a cheetah.
>>
>tfw dyslexic
>tfw have to strugle to read history and personality screens
Goddamit toady
>>
>>150439869

well i mean there's two basic approaches here, full simulation or just letting it use all attacks on whatever it touches

i'll let you take a guess at which one toady would go with
>>
>>150439869
maybe it will move every tick, and the speed/accuracy calculations in combat will take into account how far body parts are from each other
if nothing else, it would mean there'd be something to look at when the game eventually grinds down to 3 FPS
>>
File: 1455379340920.png (319KB, 680x567px) Image search: [Google]
1455379340920.png
319KB, 680x567px
>>150440185
>even the font on the logo is terrible
wipe this utility from the face of the earth
>>
>>150440404

*struggle
>>
>>150440185
thnx
>>
>>150440514
yes, the icon and title font are eye-gouging, but it does what it says on the tin and that's enough for me
>>
>>150440260
You know what I mean.
>>
I just encountered Forgotten beast that was a chicken with a trunk and blood that causes the flesh to rot. I now have tons of dwarves in the hospital even if the beast didn't fight much at all.
>>
>>150440602
uyo say that to my face man
>>150441101
Wait until you find 6 leged bipeds.
>>
File: kentucky fried chaos.png (3KB, 603x42px) Image search: [Google]
kentucky fried chaos.png
3KB, 603x42px
>>150441101
>>
>people in this thread actually believe multi tile creatures will be multi z level or even scale to the size of a building
>there are some that think that it will have an animation that spans multiple z levels whenever it attacks
Lower your expectations holy shit, you're setting yourselves up for disappointment. My guess is that it'll be at most maybe a few tiles wide that doesn't go past z levels and has the same non existant attack animation. If they were multiple z levels they wouldn't get into a fort. It's probably being added so that more than a few dwarves can surround it. As if the combat needed to be easier.
>>
>>150441101
Deadly blood ain't nothin to fuck with.
>>
>>150441768
Is there any key to interpret the size descriptors for RNG'd creatures? How big is a "towering" creature?
>>
>>150442240
Idk.

I now have a pet dog with a rotten head walking around. Do doctors also deal with dogs?
>>
>>150442240
fuck knows
I hope someday there'll be an included rough measurement of creatures in the description. just height or length, whatever's longer, within a few metres and obfuscated by some dwarfy measurement system would be fine. weird to have to use an add-on to find out the size of a creature when DF knows its size and your dwarves can see it
>>
>>150442240
Forgotten Beasts are always size 10,000,000, same as titans and demons.
>>
>>150442085
More than a few dwarves can already surround any creature. Creatures can and do stack without limit in a single tile.
Toady has explicitly said that multi-z creatures is one of the goals of multitile creatures. He said something to the effect that after the addition of multitile trees, having a giant for example that fit in one tile was becoming increasingly silly. He talked about the difficulty he had in the test displaying the creatures over multiple z-levels, and framed it specifically as one of the main hurdles they would have to get over before multitile creatures could be a reality.
>>
>>150442431
Nopers, he's ded. Best put it down
>>
>>150442431
nay
>>150442510
God yes, I just want a dwarf to tell me the not-very-precise size of an animal in some kind of outdated measuring system, like feet or armful.
Not only we can make an idea of how big something is, but it looks cool
>>
>>150442545
I'm gonna need a source on that. They have various size descriptors, so it should follow that they also vary in size.
>>
>>150442837
>>150442729
That sucks. She's just kinda sitting there with clouds of miasma around. It has wrecked its paws.
>>
>>150442707
Dwarf fortress is going to take a long time to finish.
The only thing we've gotten is almost 2 years is taverns/temples/libraries
>>150442510
>>150442837
Which add on?
>>
>>150442837
"Anything interesting on patrol, Urist?"
"Just some anole women by the river. One was pretty damn big, about 13 armfuls."
"13, eh?"
"Yep, measured 'er myself."
>>
>>150443009
>The only thing we've gotten is almost 2 years is taverns/temples/libraries
We've gotten a ton more than that. .42 brought a lot more, and .40 was released in july 2014. This has been the most active 2 years of development DF has ever had.
Regardless, nobody said it was happening tomorrow. The post I replied to said multi-z creatures wasn't happening at all, and Toady has explicitly said otherwise.
>>
File: dwarf 1.png (911KB, 1919x1057px) Image search: [Google]
dwarf 1.png
911KB, 1919x1057px
where do i go from here, new and trying to understand
>>
>>150442240
>>150442545
>>150442884

"size" isn't really the correct term, it's more like "volume"

actual "shapes" is determined by various modifiers regarding limb length/width or relative-sizes for body parts.
"Towering" just means that it's volume (size) is shifted more 'vertically' relative to its width.
Stout is the same, where the creature is "squished" and grows wider.
>>
>>150443585
http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2014:Quickstart_guide
>>
How do i attract Dragons?

ive literally paved my fortress in gold and every room is gold n glitter

i thought the dragons would be lining up to ravage my fortress but not a single one has come
>>
>>150444348
does your wold have any dragons in it?
>>
How badly does losing the vision on a dwarf impact their ability to fight? Is it as significant as It would be in real life?
>>
>>150444559

what you mean?

is it a world gen thing because ive never known about that
>>
>>150444039
I still want a source on the "all FBs, titans and demons are 10,000,000 big" claim.
>>
>>150388360
can they fire through fortifications?
>>
File: multitilemockup4.png (543KB, 1695x815px) Image search: [Google]
multitilemockup4.png
543KB, 1695x815px
>>150442085
>>
>>150442884
>I'm gonna need a source on that.

The fucking RAWs you nonce.

>They have various size descriptors, so it should follow that they also vary in size.

Have you not yet figured out that size descriptors are relative to the species?
>>
>>150445175
Out of those three, only the small humanoid one seems plausible. The big humanoid has a serious flaw in how its center is has an even number for its width, meaning that it can't exist in one location in a given coordinate grid. The lizard/dragon is too big; it would be far more convenient(read: computer friendly) to have it just be a flat snake with legs.

The small humanoid is good, because it isn't THAT big, and it has all the necessary distinctions between body parts.
>>
>>150445061
I think so, it was implied when I was reading through the player logs for Boatmurdered.

If not, I have a stock of bolts and crossbows so it's not a total waste.
>>
>>150444039
We're talking about the actual terminology the game uses, so yes, size is the correct term.

>"Towering" just means that it's volume (size) is shifted more 'vertically' relative to its width.
Stout is the same, where the creature is "squished" and grows wider.

Size descriptors really can result in a creature that is bigger than the species default.

>>150445048
The RAWs and the wiki, my developmentally disadvantaged friend. (;
>>
>>150445567
RNG'd creatures aren't in the raws. They're hard coded.

Also, the descriptors I'm talking about aren't the ones for the individual creature(e.g. "He is gigantic"), but rather the one in the description for the creature type itself(e.g. "A towering humanoid"). Those are totally different things.
>>
>>150444746
There is a video about a blind xdwarf somewhere. Pretty funny.
>>
>>150446060
>RNG'd creatures aren't in the raws.

They have raws that are packed into world.dat, dude.

>Those are totally different things

Okay. They're all size 10,00,000.

Your options at this point are:
1. Read the wiki. If that is too unreliable for you;
2. Look at the unpacked procedurally generated creature raws that are available on the forums. If that is too unreliable for you;
3. Get the world.dat viewing utility yourself and give it a look.
>>
>>150422401
>not stripmining the entire embark of it's top two z levels for materials and a uniform start
>>
>>150444746
Yes. Blind dorfs are largely useless except as haulers, and, I assume, audial performers. Even legendaryXsuperdwarven derfs are absolutely godawful in combat and crafting alike.
>>
>>150446351
>1. Read the wiki. If that is too unreliable for you;
I checked all three of the related wiki pages and searched for 10,000,000. It didn't turn up shit.
>>
>>150446518
That sucks, he was my militia commander and a great swordsdwarf
>>
File: DamnObsidianWallsBugMe.png (78KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
DamnObsidianWallsBugMe.png
78KB, 1920x1080px
>>150445770
They were just ideas I had for ways they could work so I could see how they looked in stonesense, with a bit more planning I could make them much more sensible, like going with a 3x3 or 3x5 torso for the big one type stuff.
>>
>>150446628
>inb4 i was only pretending to be retarded
http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2014:List_of_creatures_by_adult_size
>>
>>150446628
http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2014:Demon

Here ya go buddy. Remember, when in doubt, check the wiki!

As you can get by perusing the unpacked files, demons, titans, and forgotten beasts are largely identical aside from a few skill levels that titans can be benign (not that it does much), and demons have very negative personalities.
>>
>>150447339
I went to the FB and titan pages respectively. They didn't have any info on sizes.
>>
>>150447442
Remember newfriend, when in doubt, check the wiki. You could also do a search for 10000000.
>>
We should be able to male Haulers legendary

imagine a dorf hauling an entire stockpile in his elf bone cart
>>
File: elusive toad2.png (89KB, 187x208px) Image search: [Google]
elusive toad2.png
89KB, 187x208px
>>150447713
>male Haulers
>>
>>150444746
I had a pair of really great blind marksdwarves in 34.11. They were the first responders to an FB that was a blob of filth with deadly dust. They managed to kill it, but they both got full on body rot before they made it to the dwarfwash. Literally every bit of the outer surface of their bodies blistered and then rotted, including their eyes and tongues. They walked unassisted to the hospital, trailing blood and miasma the whole way. I assigned both of them tombs.

The next time I checked, they weren't in the hospital. They also weren't in the crypts. They were in the barracks, at archery practice. Firing bolts at targets. Accurately. But veeeeery sloooowly. Less than a month after their injuries.

I was so impressed by them that I immediately removed them from the squad. I needed a captain of the guard and a hammerer. The one that got the kill became the captain, the other became her second in command and the hammerer.

Rhymegravel survived for 44 years before it was abandoned for the greener pastures of .40. In that time, both blind marksdwarves became elites, legendary teachers, earned titles, and fulfilled their duties to the mountainhomes. The hammerer had six children. The captain died of old age, peacefully in bed, surrounded by friends. They were a great source of pride for the entirety of our fort and civ, in all their grotesquely deformed glory. I'd like to think that if the economy had been a thing, they would've drank for free in any dining hall in all the lands. They wouldn't have enjoyed their drinks much, on account of having no tongues, but no on complains about free beer. No one who isn't an asshole at least.

I wish I could remember their names.
>>
Im playing version 34 do i miss out on a lot?

is it just tavern and drunk bantz
>>
>>150448896
Yeah. You miss out on a lot.
>>
>>150448896
>playing 0.34 aka only humans have settlements version
the non human settlements in 0.40 were kinda disappointing, but at least they're something

have fun in your almost empty world were no one can ever take time off for a pint
>>
Is there a limit on how many squads you can have? I can't seem to make any after the 4th.
>>
>>150447713
>Bomrek Boatsstops, hauler, is in a fey mood!
>Bomrek Boatsstops has created Strengthwallowed, a masterpiece moved all of your loose stone into the stone stockpile!

>>150448896
http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2014:Release_information/0.40.01
http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2014:Release_information/0.40.14
http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2014:Release_information/0.40.20
http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2014:Release_information/0.42.01
were the big ones
>>
>>150449370
You left out the updates that added adv mode site building and the work order/manager overhaul.
>>
How do I clean things that aren't smooth floors? There is forgotten beast blood everywhere and it is causing people's feet to rot.
>>
>>150448523
>I wish I could remember their names.

well, that hurted more than I thought it would
>>150450259
lel
''Dance or you'll die''
>>
>>150449370

WHAT YEAR IS ITS LIKE IVE BEEN LIVING IN A BASEMENT ALL MY LIFE
>>
>>150450085
right, I think that was 43.01
I'm so used to the [d]etails button etc. already that I forgot it wasn't always like that
>>
>>150450259
Prayer and/or voodoo magic. Or apply magma. And get your dwarves some fucking shoes.

http://www.bay12games.com/dwarves/mantisbt/view.php?id=425
>>
>>150450987
It's not so much the dwarves with the problems, it is more the animals walking through the blood. IT's a high traffic area.
>>
>>150451159
Yeah, I was mostly kidding about that part.

I was dead serious about the voodoo, though.
>>
>>150451564
Who should I sacrifice to Armok?
>>
>>150451698
Start with anything that has rotten feet.
>>
>>150449297
plz respond, wiki's giving me no help and I've got a pit full of beasties I need to shoot with the marksdwarf squad I can't make.
>>
>>150452827
Nevermind, the "create squad" button disappears from the military screen after 4 squads for some reason but I can still make a new one by selecting someone then assigning them to a new squad in the v menu.
>>
>>150449297
>>150452827

No. IIRC there's an entity token that can limit the number of squad captains you can appoint, but dwarves don't use it by default. If you're playing a mod or another race it may be different in your case.

Has your expedition leader, mayor, or any other high noble recently died?
>>
>>150453194
Nope, vanilla. No nobility deaths, and it's been ages since the mayor was elected. This doesn't feel intended.
>>
File: HurrayForRandomNames.png (72KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
HurrayForRandomNames.png
72KB, 1920x1080px
>Moistcastle
>Hah, ok.
>The Geared Smoothness of Armories
>What?
>The Hammer of Eyes
>Alright then.
>>
I'm trying to crack open a vault, but every time I go in an angelic swordsmaster instantly severs my weapon arm and parries every shield bash I attempt

this has happened several times now, what am I doing wrong
>>
>>150456473
>not tossing coins at them
>not running in and tackling the weapon off of them
>not riding a minecart into the vault at full speed
Take your pick man.
>>
>>150456585
how the fuck you ride a minecart in adv mode?
>>
File: MinecartDrivebySm.gif (3MB, 480x270px) Image search: [Google]
MinecartDrivebySm.gif
3MB, 480x270px
>>150457325
Very carefully, because your armor is only ablative now.
>>
File: muh fort.jpg (680KB, 1277x2875px) Image search: [Google]
muh fort.jpg
680KB, 1277x2875px
r8 my shitter fort
>>
>>150456473
>what am I doing wrong
Well...
>I'm trying to crack open a vault
I think I found it.

Seriously, it's supposed to be super hard. Vaults are as close as adv mode gets to a final boss level. Train more, get better equipped, bring more fodder. Use cheap tricks, run like hell when you're outnumbered.
>>
>>150457902
What happens when you hit something?
>>
>>150459621
Wow. Uh.
>atleastit'snotcoveredinvomityet/5
>>
File: Matrix20x20.png (9KB, 320x320px) Image search: [Google]
Matrix20x20.png
9KB, 320x320px
Saw the matrix tileset thread bumped and it was missing some tiles so I tried to fill them in.

>>150460168
If it's soft: it explodes or flies through the air.

If it's hard: it flies through the air until it hits something.

If it's stationary or heavier than you: YOU fly through the air until you hit something and explode.
>>
>>150460343
Let's see your resident piece of ship
>>
File: ThereIsNoSock.png (36KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
ThereIsNoSock.png
36KB, 1920x1080px
>>150460894
>>
>>150459621
Cancer/10
>>
>>150460894
So if I were to use a minecart as a rhinoman with a sack of 20,000 coins, I could smash through anything smaller than a whale?
>>
>>150461749
I'd fill it with something heavier than coins, like, war hammers and a dragon corpse, or whale corpses.
>>
File: just a little peek.png (87KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
just a little peek.png
87KB, 1920x1080px
>>150460986
Well, since you asked...

I can't just show you my fort, since it spans ~120z (if you don't count the hermit's quarters in the 3rd cavern layer). This is a couple of the projects we're currently working on. A balcony for the duchess 60z over a lake, and a soon-to-be-magmaduct for casting a temple to the lake god in the center of the lake. The visible rooms here are 6z tall, and the walkway in the middle spans a central hall that is, currently, 24z deep. That makes the central hall 1z taller than the previously tallest chamber in the fort, which was the tavern 8z above this screenshot. It will be over 50z before it's done, but I haven't decided how deep to go with it yet.
>>
>>150463927
That looks like shit and you are really proud of nothing lad
>>
File: 1455622310009.jpg (87KB, 320x370px) Image search: [Google]
1455622310009.jpg
87KB, 320x370px
>>150464114
>>
Vamps won't display happy thoughts for having eaten in dining rooms/being drunk, right?

So far my only suspect is the sole dwarf who has "witnessed The Victim die" in their thoughts.
>>
File: 1467260925060.webm (2MB, 480x368px) Image search: [Google]
1467260925060.webm
2MB, 480x368px
How dedicated is Toady to Adventure mode? It's pretty fun as it is right now but there seems to be some important shit missing, namely medical treatment of yourself and allies beyond "rest for a week or so". Right now my guy has a severed motor muscle in his hand and I'm not sure if it's even possible to heal.
>>
>>150465051
He's dedicated to Fortress and Adventurer modes equally. Some update cycles tend to focus more on one or the other, but they both get equal love.
>>
>>150465051
>resizing armor

when you travel your wounds heal, if they can
>>
>>150464114
It's okay, guy. Relax. Your next fort will be better for sure.
>>
>>150464114
>carving out multi-z rooms all over the inside of a mountain that is being hollowed out for dorfishness
>looks like shit
I mean, I'm not him, but mayhap you show us your forts of amazing jizzbombness?
>>
>>150465567
If the anonymous reply chain is to be believed, he posted it here >>150459621.
>>
>>150466041
Oh... well I feel kinda bad now.
>>
File: sainthood perks.jpg (745KB, 2000x1333px) Image search: [Google]
sainthood perks.jpg
745KB, 2000x1333px
>>150464318
Narrowing down my list. Two prime suspects claim to have witnessed the murder and lack thoughts regarding food.

One is over a hundred years old with barely any relationships. They are great in several skills I do not recall them working in. I'm not sure but this may actually be one of the starting seven.

The other is young with a massive array of cousins and nephews. She recently joined the fortress by petition.
>>
>>150462694
Okay, I have my laden deathcart.

Now, what's the secret of piloting it?
>>
File: Untitled.png (23KB, 442x130px) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.png
23KB, 442x130px
so the vampire finally got outed somehow, but she took her hammerings so I guess they're just okay with that? hey guys, I'm sure this immortal blood lusting undead has learned her lesson and won't do it again, right?
>>
Just installed the newb starter pack.

What am I in for?
>>
File: CartSwapping.gif (3MB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
CartSwapping.gif
3MB, 1920x1080px
>>150466508
Ever heard of trial and error?

Well, you're hoping for trial and success, but let's be honest, riding a minecart full of dead at high speeds is an error to start with, so you're shooting for error and nonlethal error.

Interact with it > ride in direction > push in direction.

You gotta remember that they keep track of which directions they have inertia in, so if you want to turn north at a corner to your east you need to start pushing west to slow down, and north a bit before you reach the corner, you slow down by directly pushing against the way you're headed, and there are no real brakes... so, GOOD LUCK!
>>
File: Alien_Bounty_Hunter.jpg (117KB, 720x540px) Image search: [Google]
Alien_Bounty_Hunter.jpg
117KB, 720x540px
>Newer player
>Finally have a decent military going
>About to start digging into my cavern
>Game crashes
>Was set to yearly autosave and was just about to finish the year
>Switch it to seasonal
>Set myself back on the path I was going
>2 months in get another crash

Okay, what in the fuck is this? No crashes for 25+ hours, and then two in an hour? Anyone got any suggestions? All I'm running with it is Dwarf Therapist.
>>
>>150466817
Oh, keep a hand free, if you MUST get off now, jump backwards and try to aim so you can grab a hold of a wall to either side or a tree branch above you.
>>
>>150466862
I've had 1 fort mode crash in 5-600 hours of play and I never use any add-ons, I don't know, that's always my first suspicion

how big is your embark, how many dwarves do you have, and how old is the world you generated?
>>
>>150466409
Your starting 7 will never be vampires. So you can rule that one out easily. If it says he arrived in spring of [year you ended worldgen] then it's definitely not a vampire.
For any other suspects, just lock them in a bedroom, and wait to see if they get hungry or thirsty or sleep. If they do any of those things, unlock the door because they're not vampires.

On another note, I've never been into necrophilia but I want to fuck that sexy skeletor.
>>
>>150467017
Default embark, 83 dwarves atm (Had 95 before the first crash), world was generated at 100 years.
>>
>>150466530
>I'm sure this immortal blood lusting undead has learned her lesson and won't do it again, right?
Of course.
>>
>>150466862
The only semi-repeatable problem I have ever had with crashing was when I was screwing around with minecart quantum stockpiles. I just loaded the save and removed the route and stockpiles, then I was fine.
Try canceling any designations and building plans for awhile and see if that helps anything.
>>
>>150466751
Probably dehydration.

You'll want to find your way to the wiki sooner rather than later. The quickstart guide will keep you from banging your head against a wall any longer than you want to.
>>
>>150466530
so what actually happened was that I just happened to pause the game at the exact moment the bitch was bloodsucking one of my militiamen. in that moment she revealed her true form. the second I unpaused I got the death notification.

odd being the witness as the player.
>>
>>150467428
I really don't feel like doing all that shit for a third time in a row right now, so I'm going to create a new world and try out adventure mode.
>The Plane of Prophecy
Sounds good.
>>
>>150466817
Is that a... market? A library?
>>
>>150467897
Oh, elven libraries are always bloodbaths.
>>
>>150465517
How do you make walls curve like that? wouldn't it look like a chainsaw when you make a wall at an angle?
>>
>trying to tame shit
>build kennels
>read that kennels are actually useless
>build pasture as directed by wiki
>assign fresh caught herd of Dralthas to pasture
WELL THAT WAS FUN
>>
>>150468929
some tilesets do that
>>
File: FullYearOfAdventures.png (66KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
FullYearOfAdventures.png
66KB, 1920x1080px
>>150468929
Raving maniac set has neat walls, and if you double walls they can do a neat toothed look.
>>
>>150469125
wew
assign a trainer to tame them while they're still in their cages.
if they switch to "semi-wild" then leave them, wait til they revert to "wild," then try again
if he gets them to "trained," then put them somewhere (in a pasture away from other civilians ideally, maybe even on a restraint) and make sure your trainer doesn't have many other labours assigned
>>
>>150468929
There are a handful of tilesets that have diagonal walls. That one is Raving Maniac, my tileset of choice. Our resident superadventurer made a really nice looking one as well. Some versions of taffer have diagonal walls. There are a few others on the tileset repository.
>>
I figured out how to beat vaults

Just have a fuckload of dodge and swooce right through it with manual dodging, and drop junk to jam doors for your escape
>>
>>150469752
<3 u too

>>150471637
Attack+Dodge in a direction is the most powerful single technique to master, there are lots of situational things which wreck shit, but attack+dodge out of reach gets you through fights you can't win normally.
>>
How do you execute a vampire that refuses to move due to some weird job cancellation stuff?
>>
Wait. Does building 6 high boots build 6 pairs of boots, or literally 6 high boots?
>>
The command "mousequery edge disable" works to stop the edge scrolling when I type it into DFhack but I can't get the command to run automatically with dfhack.init. I read to just add it at the end but it's not working for some reason, any help?
>>
File: Untitled.png (225KB, 883x751px) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.png
225KB, 883x751px
>when you flood the courtyard by accident and all the ancient blood of the first embark party washes up to form an ominous stroke across the entrance
>>
File: TheFuck.png (72KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
TheFuck.png
72KB, 1920x1080px
>>150474418
>When you strike the earth so nice.

>>150474048
6 pairs, one pair is made per job unless it is an artifact.
>>
>Weregiraffe infection is curbed, two surviving weregiraffes are walled off in sections, but they keep themselves alive by transforming just before they die of thirst/hunger.
>One of them is now possessed.

Oh boy
>>
File: Untitled.png (217KB, 1443x884px) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.png
217KB, 1443x884px
>>150474587
just right indeed
>>
>>150427579
>nothing special happened besides some forgotten beats/hilltitans and ogre attacks
>decide to start a war
>kill dwarven liason
>shit he was from my own civ
>military kills itself because everyone is guilty
>finally find my first weapon metal: candy
>2 noob sword dorfs are my new military
>elven caravan arrives
>send my 2 friends to fuck them up
>another mountain titan appears
>giant rock snake
>crushes the caravan
Armok couldn't wait
>>
>>150436026
>for ambushes (which are probably not in the game anymore.
this...
I liked those small scale battles
>>
So I play a Succubus in Masterwork (yes is shit I know I'm a faggot ect ect) and I was planning to be a crossbowman. My question is, how viable would it be to also focus on kicking as a secondary skill? Succubi have hooves and I hear those are OP.
>>
>>150477120
Kick your faggot shit in it's own ass.
>>
>>150477120
>Masterwork
>>
>>150477120

Unless they're massive it's probably a waste of time. Better off just dual wielding a dagger.
>>
File: tmp_14869-44883743293312.jpg (132KB, 900x600px) Image search: [Google]
tmp_14869-44883743293312.jpg
132KB, 900x600px
>>150475612
Perfect. Also RIP.
>>
something like 15 years into the life of the fort, over 200 population, no offer of barony. does the export value subtract what you take in trade? or is it purely an account of what has left your map? I want dem noble funs
>>
>>150478237
No. Imported wealth and exported wealth are tracked separately from each other. Are you getting outpost liaisons? Do you have a mayor?
>>
>>150478529
yes to both.
>>
File: oh right fire.webm (195KB, 422x432px) Image search: [Google]
oh right fire.webm
195KB, 422x432px
>even though it's just a shitty slug, I guess I should have somebody keeping an eye on that forgotten beast down the-
>>
File: fucking dorfs.png (1KB, 576x13px) Image search: [Google]
fucking dorfs.png
1KB, 576x13px
ok
>>
>>150479000
Have you created 100k wealth and exported 10k?
>>
>visitors can become ghosts
>still no ability to configure ghosts

bravo
>>
>>150450760

making marble statues and oak tables is so easy now
>>
>>150479543
hell if I know but I've made a ton of gold shit, even my fucking prison chains are gold, and I spam mastercrafts at the traders every year. is there a way to check sans DFhack?
>>
>>150479748
The status screen is a vanilla feature.
>>
I'm in adventure mode for the first time, got no water, no food (Awesome glitch where you can't eat elf meat), and the river's frozen. Someone online said making campfires would melt the ice, but it doesn't seem to be doing anything. Can't smash some ice with my warhammer either, for whatever reason. Is this character just dead, or what?
>>
File: Untitled.png (77KB, 393x401px) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.png
77KB, 393x401px
>>150480202
so it is. never actually paid much mind to this screen. just shy then, should top it off this year assuming underground slugfires don't kill us all.
>>
>>150480343
Elf meat is like shit, do you eat shit Anon?
>>
>>150480534
How do you go 15 years without exporting 10k wealth? Or appointing a bookkeeper?
>>
>>150480767
Easy.
You just don't.
>>
>>150480534
>Drink None
>>
>>150480767
Other anon.

I have to admit that I still don't know how trading works and just mash ESC when that liason wants to talk.
My bookkeeper doesn't do shit
>>
>>150480825
You said you "spam mastercrafts at the caravan every year". And that's absurdly low wealth for a 15 year old fort.
I think you maybe exaggerated a bit. Or a lot.
>>
>>150480890
You set higher priorities for the things you want by moving those bars. They show you what they want next year and are willing to pay more for those things.
>>
>>150481169
And how does actual trading work? the whole interface doesn't seem to make sense to me.
>>
>>150480568
I'm a Jumping Spider Man whose whole initial goal was to genocide and consume the Elves. It doesn't matter how it tastes, its the message.
>>
>>150480890
http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2014:Trading/Flowchart

As for the bookkeeper, on the (n)obles screen, highlight him and go to his settings. You can raise the accuracy of his accounting from there. He won't do anything until you do. If you raise his accuracy all the way he'll spend a long time counting, but you'll get exact counts of every item on your map.
>>
>>150481285
You move things to the depot and whilst trading, if your broker has the appraisal skill he'll show you how much everthings worth. Then you just select the shit you want to sell and buy and then you press the trade button. You need to give the traders a pretty big margin of profit for them to accept the trade. But who cares about that. Once you set up a good clothing industry you can make the most valuable non-artifact items on demand
>>
>>150481285
Highlight things you want to sell and press enter. Highlight things you want to buy and press enter. The value of each side and the traders' profit or loss will be shown on the bottom. Press t when you want to propose the items you selected to be traded.
>>
>>150480884
something's wrong with my stills or my dorfs, can't get the fuckers to turn my heaps and heaps of plants into booze. gave up and am doing meadmaking now but just started

>>150480767
I have a Great bookkeeper. maybe she got vamp'd while I was busy dealing with all the fucking vampires in my fort. as for exports, I have a pretty fantastic broker, so I usually take everything I want from them for a fraction of what it's worth.
>>
>>150481653
Do you have enough barrels? Did you increase the accuracy of the counting by you bookkeeper?
>>
>>150481653
>I have a pretty fantastic broker, so I usually take everything I want from them for a fraction of what it's worth
Trading doesn't work that way. Your broker could be legendary +50, all it's going to do is reduce the profit margin they're willing to accept. They'll never sell you a single thing for less than it's worth.
>>
>>150481545
>>150481643
thanks.

will try it out after the gobbo siege
>>
>>150481653
are you're seizing their shit?
>>
File: grammernazi.gif (60KB, 250x200px) Image search: [Google]
grammernazi.gif
60KB, 250x200px
>>150482896
>>
is there any reason my hammerer wont do her fucking job? vampires in need of Justice and she wont so much as tie this fuck up after four kills and four convictions. just put the cunt on a rope so I can firing squad this problem away
>>
>>150485378
Burro(w) + atom smasher = problem solved.
>>
>>150485378
>firing squad
How will the public react if you order your crossbros to shoot a restrained dorf?
>>
>>150485378
Better idea. A vampire contained in a walled off section of your fort will never die, thus making it near impossible to lose your fort. Just some food for thought.
>>
>>150485705
>>150485574
>>150485539
the wrinkle here is that none of the vampires (I had three, but one died mysteriously) are citizens. all human visitors I can neither draft nor direct or give jobs, but also not members of the fortress people will get upset about me killing. in fact with the number of murders they have attributed to them I'd be surprised if anyone got upset about it.
>>
>>150486426

Assign them to a burrow somewhere out of the way

wall them in
>>
>>150486531
pretty sure you can only burrow citizens
>>
>>150487786

Sorry, I read that as they are citizens

just order your military to kill them
>>
does crap get named after killing a forgotten beast?

I was about to kill a coke web-shooting humanoid, but apparently a draltha named Stasozbonrosp got to him first
>>
>>150463927
How do you carv the inside of a mountain without colapses? Do you mine a whole floor and then channel the whole floor down?
>>
Do bins always fuck up stockpiles? Am i supposed to amass fortune and wealth by having tile per tile of gold and silver crafts spreading through my engraved floors?
>>
Would this work?

>Get decently stable fort going
>Build tavern
>Retire fort
>Create adventurer dwarf with skill I really need
>Start him in the fort, retire immediately
>Repeat as desired

I haven't fiddled much with taverns and that but I want to know if it'll work before I sink some time into a save
>>
>>150489035
Bins suck imo. I just use quantum stockpiles. They work great for everything except drinks.
>>
>>150489035
I use bins for everything except thread and cloth. I never have any problems.
>>
>>150489695

uh it doesn't work last I tried it, they sort of just hang around
>>
>>150489712
>cheating
>>
>>150490120
>cheating in a singleplayer game
>>
Would it be viable to have a vampire fort? Like appoint a small clan of vampires to be the hammerer, mayor ect and they lord over the other dorfs, feeding as they please?
>>
>>150490267
if you like tantrums
>>
>>150489695
It sort of works.

If you start the adventurer from that exact fort and then instantly retire them, they'll be considered a citizen when you reclaim the fort, and will be able to do labors. Using this method, I was able to build a decent population of owl-man scholars.
>>
can you still pick fruit thats on the ground?
>>
I wish there was more in-depth stuff to do with criminals in towns. I wanna be a medieval mafioso and attend meetings and sell narcotics and intimidate people and stuff.
>>
>>150490341
That's all part of the FUN. I'll just make my one militia squad out of vampires so they have superdwarven strength.
>>
>>150490862
DF has narcotics?
>>
>>150491041
I mean it cooouuuld...
>>
>>150491112
just smuggle booze
>>
>>150491041
Hemp plants are already in the game. Just a matter of time until someone mods weed into the game
>>
>>150491910
There's no consequences though, as far as I know.
>>
File: dumbass for ants.png (3KB, 66x174px) Image search: [Google]
dumbass for ants.png
3KB, 66x174px
>notice jabberer had entered the map
>sweet, I wanna get a breeding pair eventually
>watching it wander around
>come on you little fuck, step on a trap
>notice another creature
>it's the mayor
>on a cleaning job
He could have cleaned this fucking blood at any point during the two years it's been there, but he decided to wait until a big monster is waiting to eat him before doing it.
I'm going to enjoy watching this asshole get torn to pieces.
>>
>>150493350
>inb4 the jabberer dies to the onslaught of the mayor
>>
>>150493350
>>150493559
Almost. They spent a few seconds jumping around but eventually the jabberer pecked his spine in half and the mayor bleed out while the jabberer just kind of went back to wandering. Boring.
>>
how do you guys supply your marksdwarves training?

I've been making bone bolts, but the fuckers eat them really quickly
>>
Ded thread
Ded game
Ded dorfs
>>
>>150495324
bone bolts :)
>>
>>150495324
Wood bolts :)
>>
>>150495329
dead toad unless he starts caring better for his health

I hope he at least finishes the myths and boats before that
>>
>>150496908
>btw: cool that this is the only fucking general that has never ever ever ever had a female post in it.
This might actually be true. It probably applies to the most autistic of the other generals(e.g. /rlg/) too, though.
>>
is there any way to get rid of these "Unusable upwards slopes" left by trees in the caverns? would building on them and deconstructing work?
>>
File: 1466867625238.jpg (92KB, 1208x721px) Image search: [Google]
1466867625238.jpg
92KB, 1208x721px
>elves sell you a gay bear

trees coming down
>>
>>150497512
d->z not working?
>>
>>150497726
no
>>
>>150497819
Then I'm out of ideas.
>>
File: 1459674187748.jpg (31KB, 300x343px) Image search: [Google]
1459674187748.jpg
31KB, 300x343px
>>150497893

this is triggering my autismo, I guess I'll try the building thing when I get closer to 'em
>>
File: 41fnpG6nMPL.jpg (24KB, 332x500px) Image search: [Google]
41fnpG6nMPL.jpg
24KB, 332x500px
>>150497517
>gay bear
Urist pls
Just wait for the gay FB invasion
Dorfassrape invasion
>>
>>150497819
Wasn't there a dfhack command for that?
>>
File: 'bold outlook.png (51KB, 262x244px) Image search: [Google]
'bold outlook.png
51KB, 262x244px
>>150498278
Too bad there isn't a dfhack command for making dfhack compatible with .43.05
>>
Wew, took me 23 Z levels of digging and a mountain of gems later to find flux
>>
File: egbXbVW.png (558KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
egbXbVW.png
558KB, 1920x1080px
So I am knew. Had three forts and lost to the second goblin siege each time. I am obviously doing something wrong. Two squads of well trained melee fighters. How do you deal with them?
>>
>>150500352

What are their general skill levels? If you don't think you can handle them maybe lock the doors or stick a few traps in your entrance to think the numbers before they hit a kill room
>>
Can I throw out mercenaries from my fort? What use do they have?
>>
>>150500352
How was their weapon quality? How about armor quality and how much armor did they wear?
>>
I want to make oy vey happy merchant type of fortress. Post ideas
>>
>>150501317
Get most of the fortress killed then guilt trip the offending faction into becoming your allies. Only accept immigrants that marry into the family tree of your starting seven, keep all of them in slums until then. Genocide elves and claim they were hiding behind innocent children.

Or you could just trade and shit I guess
>>
>>150498916
>Implying you want that
When Dwarf Fortress gets to the point where it can augment itself, that is when humanity shall fall, its virtual economy and vast knowledge crumbled. And the Dorfs shall rule the world.
>>
File: nice bandit.png (37KB, 862x83px) Image search: [Google]
nice bandit.png
37KB, 862x83px
some bandits are really great guys, if you just give them a chance
>>
>>150501317
>mint coins
>mod game to make humans and elves degenerates and stupid
>every time a dorf dies make and place at least 50 tombstones
>>
>>150500426
There kills range from competent to great.

>>150501015
Not so sure about the quality. They wear copper armour (all I have for armour) and a mix of copper and silver weapons. Silver for blunt and copper for swords and axes. Is that right?
>>
>>150479107
the fuck happened here?
pretty fucking hilarious
>>
>>150501317
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=54058.0
>>
File: peprident of gambia.png (56KB, 159x182px) Image search: [Google]
peprident of gambia.png
56KB, 159x182px
>>150502316
kek
>>
>>150501317
kill every dwarf that isnt greedy and doesn't have a big nose, let the remaining engage in damaging endogamy for years and you are done
>>
>>150502993
While some say that genes decide metal attributes in DF, I doubt this affects personalities. Only the big nose thing would actually work.
>>
File: dwarf-fortress-3.png (29KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
dwarf-fortress-3.png
29KB, 1920x1080px
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC8x0pP2mmekmaCpik3_wijg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q-q7kOe2HQg
>>
>>150503225
yeah, the greedy stuff is selective

talking on other stuff, what does meditate on x actually do, is it just a preface for writing stuff, or is it a social activity?
>>
>>150502213
>Silver for blunt and copper for swords and axes. Is that right?
Yep, although copper is pretty bad. Get some bronze or iron/steel if possible.
>>
>>150503990
Meditating is always related to religion. While a dwarf "prays" to the deity itself, he also "meditates" on the sphere of the deity. It always takes place at a temple.

>is it just a preface for writing stuff
No, when dorfs contemplate what to write about, they "ponder". Pondering takes place at the library.
>>
File: 14521140523030.jpg (28KB, 315x437px) Image search: [Google]
14521140523030.jpg
28KB, 315x437px
>>150503225
>He was excited near a fine statute
Urist please

The only way to fix the problem is to throw all merchants directly into magma. Make Fortress Great Again: exterminate all merchants.
>>
>>150503225
>>150503990
>>150502993
actually they inherit values from their parents so yes it could work

this is why humans born in dark fortresses don't go NO QUARTER as soon as they see you
>>
I need help with getting war dogs. I've given them trainers and an animal training zone, but I dont have the option to give them war training yet. I've read the wiki a bunch of times and I still can't get the option to train them into war or hunting dogs. Is there something im missing?
>>
>>150506265
[z]->[enter]->(scroll to animal)-->[w]
>>
>>150504169
Thanks m8, you've been really helpful
>>150506031
Do they? he, bretty cool
Anybody has a guide on DF genetics, I really want to make a JewFortress completely based on Trade now
>>
>>150506431
I know how to do it, I read the wiki, but the option for that is just greyed out, pressing w does nothing.
Do the dogs need to be tied up or something?
>>
>>150506714
no. post a screenshot maybe?
bear in mind that you can't give pets war/hunting training, and that you can't turn a hunting dog into a war dog (or the reverse)
>>
>>150506714

are they puppies or pets? are you running any mods?
>>
>>150506714
Are the dogs pets?
>>
>>150507026
>you can't give pets war training
Ahhhh, that makes a lot of sense, yeah, all of them are pets.
Thanks!
>>
I like to move my entire fortress down to the lowest caverns and run it all there. Dwarves should never go to the surface! I don't mind the cavern critters, they're mostly only going to kill one or two dwarves at worst.
>>
>>150507207

I actually just started a new fortress to do this for the first time
>>
>>150506031
Values are not the same thing as personality traits.
>>
>>150506580
There's no real guide. Animals get their tameness level, and peoples get their values, from their parents. You can have an adventurer argue with their parents before they start breeding to change them to whatever you like.
>>
>>150497512
Need dfhack man, I feel your pain.
>>
>>150506580
Oh, and as far as true genetics, its pretty much that they inherit whatever their ancestors had. I prefer adventurers for eugenics because you can control their complete family tree (which is, generally, themselves alone)
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1kekmoogdiw
>>
File: 1366440899423.jpg (84KB, 348x505px) Image search: [Google]
1366440899423.jpg
84KB, 348x505px
>>150508362
>living in dirt
>>
>>150507785
You seem to be conflating several different things. Values are cultural. In a dwarf's description, the line that starts with "Like others of his culture..." states the cultural values, and those will be the same for every sentient born as a citizen of a given civ. Personality traits are the text above the needs fulfillment that describe the individual, and though they tend to skew toward the cultural values defined for the civ, they can randomly be very different, and aren't heritable. The bit you described above about goblinized humans not going no quarter on sight isn't either of those things, that's an ethic. Toady mentioned before .42 released that immigrants would retain some ethics and values from their original civs. It's not clear if he intended native born citizens to retain their parents' civ values and ethics. I haven't seen that happen personally, but if humans born in goblin civs aren't following goblin ethics then it's probably a bug.
Regardless, none of that has any bearing on whether an individual will be greedy or not. It's not something that you can breed into a population, though can influence individuals to be greedier as you said.
>>
>>150509117
>The bit you described above about goblinized humans not going no quarter on sight isn't either of those things, that's an ethic.

Okay, yeah I was being sloppy with terminology. Pretend I edited my statement to say "values and ethics" not "values."

>probably a bug

Toady himself said that newbies to your fort will retain their ethics, at least at first, main example being elves chopping down trees. No doubt its intentional.

>probably a bug

Toady decided what's heritable and what's not, I find that unlikely.

Simply put, elves, dorfs, and humans in goblin civs will generally act like they used to when by themselves, though they will join in on attacks, the same way necromancers are perfectly sociable unless they see their zombies going for someone.
>>
Am I too much of an autist if I personally rename each migrant based on things I gather after reading their personality screen as they come to mi fortress?
>>
>>150511206
yes (:
>>
>>150511206
>not renaming, dressing and resocializing them
>not deciding what they eat and drink
>not starving them if they misbehave

you have struck plebbo
>>
>>150509924
I didn't say that immigrants to your fort keeping their values was a bug. I noted specifically that Toady said they would.

>Toady decided what's heritable and what's not
Toady does something by accident at least once every patch. Adventure mode npc behavior has been one of the most persistently broken aspects of the game since .40 released, and he's left it mostly untouched across dozens of releases. Frankly, I would be surprised if Toady even knows what heritable and what isn't.
What we do know, and you can test yourself, is that nondwarf visitors' children born at your fort will have same values text as every other native citizen of your fort. Elves born as citizens of dwarven civs won't ever eat their kills in worldgen. Goblins born as citizens of dwarven civs won't become snatchers, commit murders, or take slaves in worldgen. Dwarves, humans and elves born in goblin civs will commit murders and become snatchers in worldgen.
If you've found an example of a native member of a civ following another civ's ethics, then it stands in contradistinction to most (if not all) other available examples, and thus is probably a bug.
>>
>>150511653
>What we do know, and you can test yourself, is that nondwarf visitors' children born at your fort will have same values text as every other native citizen of your fort.

I find that contradicting the last science thread I read, but who knows, I'llf ind out soon enough.

>Elves born as citizens of dwarven civs won't ever eat their kills in worldgen

Not really the most helpful metric.

>snatchers

A civ tag

Also, if adventurer is the secondary form of DF, then legends is a distaaaaaaaant third.
>>
>>150511487
I actually do the last one too, fug
>>
What's the best temperature?
>>
>>150512551
temperate or cold imo.
>>
>>150512551
Mead taste best when the cold is brutal and unforgiving
>>
>>150512551
-50 min, 100 max, with variation on 3200 so you can get hot jungles next to glaciers.
>>
>>150513150

gonna try this
>>
>>150512551
cold.
tropical (especially savage) climates are fun for the interesting wild animals though
>>
>>150512450
>if adventurer is the secondary form of DF, then legends is a distaaaaaaaant third.

That's a very convenient opinion to have. It neatly dismisses the majority of the evidence available to decide the issue we're discussing. Which evidence all disagrees with the position you've taken. Nevermind that most of the creatures that will ever exist in most worlds exist solely in legends mode, with the very details of their lives that are dispute chronicled for our perusal...
It's third form, or something. So it totally doesn't count. Totally.
>>
>>150514086

Legends isn't a game, flat out, so its not a "convenient opinion." The other two games share the same mechanics for virtually everything.

The sole exception is adventurers get an accelerated time heal when they leave an area, but the same is true for your dorfs if you retire and unretire a fort.
>>
>>150514763
Legends is as much a part of the simulation as fort or adventure mode. Hell, it's the backbone of the simulation, fort and adv mode wouldn't exist without it. All of the substance of the other modes is built in legends. You can't dismiss it just because you can't play it. In a conversation about what creatures do, legends mode is directly relevant, because it's made entirely out of records of what creatures do.
>>
File: AfterTheDeathStrikeStory.png (52KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
AfterTheDeathStrikeStory.png
52KB, 1920x1080px
>>150516082
Legends is directly accessed now in both modes.

Statue/Engraving/Figurine carving touches on all sorts of events and hist figs.

Storytelling gives you access to basically everything in legends mode, with the caveat that you must have encountered some link to that info yourself before you can access it.

Case in point: next time you find a naked goblin in a lair, say hi to them, they'll probably spit at you, but you can use things like the "express your emotions" menu to sideload the rest of the conversation options and talk about their family, profession, and so forth. Once you get enough info you should be able to pull up the story options for their name or the site and learn when they were cursed, by what god, and what werebeast they become.
>>
>>150516082
>>150517028
I just got here, but let's distinguish between the Legends mode and UI, and the generated history data.

The Legends mode is just a glorified file reader. Adventure and Fort would still use all that juicy world history data even if you couldn't read it independently through Legends. It's pretty convenient that you can read them in Legends, but the Legends game mode itself isn't responsible for the world history data.
>>
what's a good animal to embark with if i mostly want them for leather?
>>
>>150518381
piggly wigglys but I don't find leather farming to be all that productive or fun personally, just breach the caverns and shit will spawn constantly for you to kill
>>
>>150518702
>wanting to drown under a river of dead crundles
>>
>>150518835
Yeah I seriously hate those scale producing fucks.
>>
>>150518702

yeah i tried a bunch of sheep earlier and i just didn't end up with all that much leather
>>
>>150518094
exactly, If legends was a mode you could access before the world is created and do stuff in order to make sure certain stories are created, then it would be a ''game'' mode, it's just for looking up stuff that doesnt exist thanks to it, not like in adventure and fortress mode
>>
>>150519035
You have to reach critical mass for farming leather, giant toads are quite good for it, as are I imagine some other underground creatures.
>>
Wellp, that was the most hilarious, and bullshit, death I've had yet -- a bajillion trolls and ogres spawned in the tree I was sleeping in.
>>
File: comfy creature graphics.png (12KB, 286x324px) Image search: [Google]
comfy creature graphics.png
12KB, 286x324px
So I got civvie and soldier tiles for all of the main races, save for the kobolds. Here's how some of them look.

In the pic you see a two goblin civilians, two human civilians, one dorf civilian and three human soldiers. Two of those soldiers are me and my companion, while the third is an axeman who was sleeping on the ground.

What you don't see in this pic are the elves, so I'll tell you that they look like the gobbos, but without the long nose. All soldiers currently have horned helmets.

In order to make the blinking tiles less obnoxious, I removed all of the transparent pixels from the tiles, save for a thin contour around the creatures.

I'm still not sure whether I'll stick with it.
>>
Question: is there a way in say legends mode to view armies that are sieging a place or on their way to siege it?
>>
File: LegendsModeAccessViaStories.png (71KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
LegendsModeAccessViaStories.png
71KB, 1920x1080px
>>150518094
I am distinguishing between them.

I just started in a hamlet with an army marching towards it, checking through the "tell a story > site > staffconfines" entries I can see that this army has attacked several times in the past, along with numerous other events that I, being from here, would know about.

As I go around and talk to more people I'll gain the ability to do this with other sites, specific creatures, regions, and different entities.
>>
File: SeemsOminous.png (42KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
SeemsOminous.png
42KB, 1920x1080px
>>150519298
>removed all of the transparent pixels
Fuck, is that the trick to fix the annoying blinking? What color did you use for the background parts?

>>150519360
Well, besides: >>150519801 you can also look at the events list in the age of myth/legends/etc section, you can view from entities if you know them, you can look through the site itself but there's no search function (so adventurer storytelling is superior!) and I am sure I'm forgetting something.
>>
File: 2toad.jpg (149KB, 692x447px) Image search: [Google]
2toad.jpg
149KB, 692x447px
>>150519035
>>150519198
>>
>>150520206
Does storytelling fulfill uphold tradition or eloquence needs?
>>
>>150520385
dancing-tradition
stories/poetry-eloquence
>>
>>150520332
LMAO! 2TOAD!
>>
>>150518094
That's a fair distinction, but I think the context makes it obvious that the discussion was about the historical events and their form in a data table. The fact that they're accessed via legends mode as opposed to fort or adv mode doesn't make the events any less valid as determinants for creature behavior in DF.
>>
>>150518381
Geese outperform every other domestic livestock for leather production (including pigs). They have large clutches and reach leatherable size in only a year.
>>
>>150520613
Poetry is fine at tradition.
>>
>>150520805
Whoops
>*rather than their form in a data table
>>
>>150520206
I just made them black. The coloured parts still blink grey, though.
>>
can a true friend link me to the most up to date LNP?
>>
>>150521498
here ya go boss
>>150329807
>>
>>150521618
holy shit im retarded
>>
Is it just me or is DF 42 06's window unresizeable?
>>
File: learn to laugh.png (475KB, 728x580px) Image search: [Google]
learn to laugh.png
475KB, 728x580px
>>150521618
kek
>>
File: TalkingHydraWhat.png (74KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
TalkingHydraWhat.png
74KB, 1920x1080px
>>150521354
But the surroundings don't flash annoyingly, so that's an option I can dig, I'll have to test it out when I redo my racial graphics again.

>>150520385
>>150520613
>>150521065
I didn't think to try poetry/stories/dancing for tradition/eloquence, since I'm intending to run this world for a year to roll legends over into 210 I'll test that when I make a second character.
>>
>>150522194
Is there any way I can resize the window without making the tiles become bigger as well?

I used to be able to resize the window in other versions just fine, but now I have to go into the init file and shit? help?
>>
File: yum.png (2KB, 550x49px) Image search: [Google]
yum.png
2KB, 550x49px
this is why you pack your own lunch
>>
>>150523305
scroll wheel
>>
File: comfy races.png (20KB, 327x477px) Image search: [Google]
comfy races.png
20KB, 327x477px
>>150522453
The nice part about fucking around with creature graphics is that you don't have to worry about all the thinkable circumstances in which the tile can appear, since the graphics are only used for living creatures that your character can see. When I made the dorf tiles on my tileset, I had to carefully look how everything looked both when the dorfs where lying dead on the floor, when they where engraved, and when they where out of sight. With graphic sets, none of that matters.

In any case, here are all the civvie graphic tiles, as they appear in the game.

I also made some simple kobold graphics. Making them were harder than I thought. In their current state, I think that they slightly resemble the jews in Maus, but that fits their underdog role pretty well.
>>
>>150523721
Still not workin, man.

Are you using the latest version of DF?

I'm trying to use 42 06 cause of the rapist.
>>
>>150524536
Scroll wheel resizes the tileset, so you'd resize the window, then use the scroll wheel to readjust the tileset size.
Are you using dfhack too?
What print mode are you using?
>>
>>150525151
I'm just using normal DF 42 06.
>>
>>150525227
Are you playing the SDL or the Legacy version?
>>
>>150525227
>normal DF 42.06
Can you specify what that means? Downloaded vanilla DF from bay12 and changed nothing, not even the tileset?
>>
File: Capture.png (7KB, 480x56px) Image search: [Google]
Capture.png
7KB, 480x56px
>>150525598
>>150525537
I clicked this and downloaded it and started the game up.

Nothing else.
>>
>>150525537
What's the difference between Legacy and SDL anyway?
>>
>>150525860
delete it and download SDL windows.
>>
>>150525860
I think legacy doesn't size the same way.

>>150523830
Looks good, the human tile makes more sense for them than it did for the adventurer tile I think. Might see if you could make them taller though?
>>
>>150526061
SDL uses SDL

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Simple_DirectMedia_Layer
>>
>>150526187
Humie should stay the same size.
Dwarves should be shrunk a bit, and Elves made a little taller.
>>
>>150526084
thanks
>>
>>150526335
Humans are taller than gobs and elves, elves are thinner than gobs and dwarves, but the ears/nose/beard distinguish those three well enough, taller humans would work well.
>>
>>150526187
>>150526335
I'll make the elves and humans two pixels taller. Making the dorfs smaller would put them on the same level as the kobolds(which are two pixels smaller than the others), and I don't want that.
>>
>>150527231
I wouldn't make the elves taller really, if anything I'd try to cut a pixel off the sides of the elves.
>>
Anyone up for a story?

>create a demi-god human
>planned on becoming a vampire or a werebeast through getting cursed by toppling statues in a church
>soundslikeaplan.jpeg
>spawn in a human town as usual
>no temples on the horizon
>travel and see if there are any structures around
>houses
>abandoned houses
>eh why not, it was getting late already
>stop traveling
>try to look into one of the houses
>three fucking elven zombies trying to bumrush
>NOPE
>i sprint away to the east and take the zombies one by one
>i dont know what the fuck has happened
>search through the village, few houses here and there, most containing zombies
>suddenly, a necromancer
>tear through the zombies carefuly
>Shift+A at the motherfucker
>wait wat
>i have to confirm if i want to start the conflict
>talk to the dude, ask him how he's feeling, maybe i'll have a necromancer as my companion
>nope.jpeg
>forget about my past goal of becoming a vampire and fuck that motherfucker up
>realised there are bunch of corpses outside
>fuck
>run out of the house, deal with the zombies and when he's non-hostile i slashed fuckers neck in

Now I'm going through the abandoned village, saw three necromancers so far, killed two, all of them are peaceful although their zombies are not, what do? I didn't play Dwarf Fortress alot and I don't know if this is supposed to be FUN.
>>
>>150528359

tl;dr faget
>>
File: diverse sizes.png (18KB, 311x479px) Image search: [Google]
diverse sizes.png
18KB, 311x479px
Here are the updated graphic tiles. I'm still planning on doing a few adjustments, though.
>>
How do you guys house haulers? Giving them bedrooms seems like a bad idea, because they'll be trapped hauling nearby stuff. Would creating dormitories and dining rooms all over the place let them just sleep and eat wherever they happen to be, or will they just be stupid and walk halfway across the fort to use a random one?
>>
>>150529018
Jesus Christ how big is your fort?
>>
>>150528359
Fuck. I've been struck down, swarmed by zombies and tired I lost consciousness as these cunts mauled me to death.

Well, time to avenge him.
>>
>>150508224
Wait, that's a DFhack feature?
>>
File: hijack.png (494B, 82x26px) Image search: [Google]
hijack.png
494B, 82x26px
>>150528681
Don't mind me, just hijacking your set and making thinner elves.
>>
>discovered that i can station my transformed werelemur dwarf
If only the werelemur dwarves didn't kill ech other back when i quarantined them togethro than i would've had 3 lemur dwarves
>>
Any tips or legendary tales concerning evil emarks?

>New fort, think i'll try my hand at a terrifying biome.
>Dorfs embark, not much around, but time is of the essence.
>Dig inside, move all the stuff inside, set up a door.
> Still nothing, all seems well.
>Foul fog
>Dafuq is that? Run dorfs inside, don't exactly wanna find out.
>Fog passes, everyone is able to go outside again.
>This happens a few more times.
>Finally the fog get a dorf, turning him to a husk.
>Other dorfs fight him, getting in the fog too.
>Your settlement has crumbled.jpg

Also had a settlement that got rocked by a single undead yeti that just wouldn't die.
>>
>>150529709
>undead yeti that just wouldn't die.
It was already dead.
>>
>>150529232
It's not huge, it's just REALLY spread out. I like making a few rooms one place, then another few on the other side of the map, a few more near the magma, some in the caves, etc...

The initial goal was to cut down on hauling by putting workshops near their source materials, but now that I've drastically cut down on the required hauling, I have a few REALLY LONG hauling routes that are so long some of them can't be completed by a dwarf walking before he gets hungry or falls asleep.

So I'm thinking of switching the minecart intructions to ride and having my haulers be nomads. As a bonus, since my haulers are part-time militia they can sort-of patrol even when they're off-duty.
>>
>>150529965
I am indeed aware of this. It just wouldn't go down. 7 dorfs beating it's ass for a solid 10-15 minutes. They passed out due to exhaustion and it rekt them.
>>
>>150528681
Taller elves is weird, they're smaller than goblins.

Dwarves/Elves/Gobs are all base 60k size, and all have the same height/broadness modifiers:
75:95:98:100:102:105:125
75:95:98:100:102:105:125

Humans are base 70k with the same height/broadness modifiers.

The "short/sturdy" is referring to their better toughness, they're just as strong and more agile than gobs, gobs have better endurance, and elves have the best agility.
>>
File: comfy races2.png (15KB, 281x443px) Image search: [Google]
comfy races2.png
15KB, 281x443px
>>150528681
>>150529467
I appreciate your intent, but that thin elf looks faggy as heck.

Here, I made my own official thin elf. It made sense to make them thinner but higher than the dorfs and gobbos, since they have the same volume.
>>
>>150529361
deramp will remove the unusable ramps.

>>150529467
If the elves were as tall as the dwarves it would be perfect.
>>
>>150529709
Here's a story of my fastest death yet:
>embark on a terrifying mountain
>carefully look around for evil fog and creatures
>a few zmbies around but I can manage
>designate an entrance, military, start building walls
>unpause
>it has started raining
>all dwarves instantly fall to the ground unconscious
>one by one they suffocate
>your settlement has crumbled
Instant full-body paralysis rain.

Another one that was kinda funny:
>embark on a sinister forest
>some enemy nearby attacking my miners/haulers(I forgot what they were exactly)
>draft a few militia dwarves to chase them off
>the things fight for a bit and then run away
>dwarves chase them
>evil cloud appears and starts rolling towards dwarves
>puts them and the enemy to sleep
>cloud passes
>they all wake up and start chasing eachother again
>right back through the cloud
>spend months alternating between running around in circles and sleeping in a big pile
Eventually one of the creatures managed to avoid the mist and killed all of them in their sleep.
>>
>>150530723
Well, it was just a quick hackjob. Nothing serious or anything.
>>
>>150530586

The height/broadness modifiers are for that creature, not "objectively." The elves refer to the dwarves as "stunted" and dwarves are described as "short."
>>
>>150529467
I like this.
>>
>>150531398
No you don't. The author is right, they're too thin.
>>
>>150530723
Here's another pic showing a clear comparison between the elves and the dorfs.

Also, fun fact: I The home tree was pretty big, so I saw my "flipped table" tiles in several places. Basically, it appears wherever a thick floor branch shoots out from beneath a straight wall trunk. The funny thing is, that despite there being a straight horisontal wall with a thick floor branch pointing south, there wasn't any "ordinary" table tile there, as one might expect. It's almost as if Toady excluded the table tile from the trees in order to make it easier for tileset editors.
TL:DR: Table tiles are NEVER used in trees, so I'll change my flipped table tiles for the exquisit branch tiles that Max made.
>>
>>150394621
Faggots have to push their fag shit everywhere or else they aren't fag enough.
>>
Is there any way to filter embarks for ore types?
Or do I really have to embark => reveal every time I wanna check the ores out?
>>
>>150532753
Here you can see two of the said branch tiles.
>>
File: floating tables after all.png (5KB, 198x181px) Image search: [Google]
floating tables after all.png
5KB, 198x181px
>>150532753
Oh, it seems like I was wrong. The table tile WAS used after all.

Well, I guess I can change that one particular tile in init_d.
>>
File: fixed.png (10KB, 294x289px) Image search: [Google]
fixed.png
10KB, 294x289px
>>150534002
There, I switched branch tile 209 into 205, and now it looks far better.
>>
>>150534267
Agreed.
>>
File: gobbo attack.png (5KB, 261x278px) Image search: [Google]
gobbo attack.png
5KB, 261x278px
>>150534267
Also, here's pic of the gobbo militia in action.
>>
Anybody know how I can create podiums for objects in the game? I want to create a museum for all those artifacts mugs, rings, backpacks etc. and I'd like to make podiums to put them on.

Also, does buying a butcher's cleaver or carving knife actually help your butcher or bone carver any or are they just for melting down for ore?

One more annoying question: if I buy flasks will dwarves wear them and fill them with water so as to not die of thirst somewhere? I keep ending up with dwarves somewhere up in trees dying of thirst.
>>
>>150539373
You need to give your dorfs military uniforms and assign them drinks and food to carry.
>>
>>150539519
Not him but I didn't know you had to manually assign then provisions. I thought they just got it on their own.
>>
>>150540482
Also not above person. I think their rations and drinks are what they have when you've stationed them somewhere. Obviously if they're stationed with no rations or for long enough they'll start dying. Not sure if they'll straight up ignore the station and go home though.
>>
>>150539373
I did this once.

What I did was essentially just making a hallway with niches on each side. In each niche, I made a 1x1 custom stockpile, set it to accept all artifacts, and forbid the use of bins in it. If you want to be sure that you don't accidentally use the artifacts(especially furniture), you can just remove each stockpile after something gets placed there, and then forbid the item in question.
>>
>>150540826
>Not sure if they'll straight up ignore the station and go home though.

Depends on how high of a priority you set for orders.

If the squad is 7 dorfs, and you set the default (10 dorfs), then yes they will follow orders unto death. If the squad is 7 dorfs and you set it to 7, same result. If the squad is 7 and you set it to 5, then 2 dorfs are allowed to go get grub and water, etc.
>>
File: Untitled.png (175KB, 847x415px) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.png
175KB, 847x415px
Any idea why this woodcutter won't move? He just sits there, falling asleep where he stands, no job. There's designations there, I'm trying to cut down a tree that about 5 dwarves have died climbing and dying to of dehydration, but he's just not doing anything at all. He can definitely make it back up, and to the other side of the river from up above. I could remove the designation and I imagine he'd go back up, but I really need that tree down before I lose more important dwarves.
>>
>>150541335
Scratch that, removing the designations changed nothing. He's just comatose on his feet, pretty much.
>>
>>150541335
Check his thoughts? I had a dwarf do that today or it turned out he'd crippled himself by felling a tree on himself. After a quick scramble to make some dwarf learn medicine he was put right and is back out there, robbing the elves of their homes. He truly is doing Armok's work.
>>
File: Untitled.png (80KB, 1901x433px) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.png
80KB, 1901x433px
>>150541779
No injuries, nothing I can tell from the thoughts either.
>>
>>150541027

I see. I think I will just dump the individual artifacts into individual 1x1 piles, turn off the dumps or remove them and forbid the artifacts as I want to be able to scroll over them with [k].
>>
>>150542524
Only other thing I can think of is the inventory. hit 'v' and hover over the dwarf. Press 'i' to see inventory. Does he have his axe? If not then he can't cut down any trees. All else I can think of.
>>
>>150535634
A tileset that doesn't make everything look like a muddy piece of shit? You've piqued my interest.
>>
>>150543342
I'll check that once the game loads up. I've been getting constant crashes since I got to this particular year, and I can't figure out why. This time it happened while designating buildings, so it doesn't seem to have to do with time passing. At least I know that much.
>>
>>150543650
I know what you mean. I got the most recent version and i'm getting brief freezing whenever it starts raining.
>>
>>150540826
Oh yes I should have been more clear, that's what I meant, what they take with them on station duty.

Man it'd be such a pain in the ass otherwise..Forgot to assign that plump stew to Urist McAxedwarf? Welp, he's dead now. Like lemmings.
>>
>>150543506
Well, comfyanon made a tileset AND creature graphics.
>>
File: anontileset.png (10KB, 256x384px) Image search: [Google]
anontileset.png
10KB, 256x384px
>>150543506
Here it is. Just switch the pillar tile(as well as the pillars used by the trees) to 255 in the d_init. You may also want to switch tree branch 209 to 205, in order to prevent the table tile from showing up in trees. It also looks best when you turn engravings to hidden by default.
>>
>>150541335
Make sure you didn't designate a higher z level part of the tree, he might be trying to reach that but can't.

Could be wrong though.
>>
File: anongraphics.png (1KB, 32x120px) Image search: [Google]
anongraphics.png
1KB, 32x120px
>>150544087
Here are the creature graphics. The left side is for civilians, and the right side for soldiers. You have to assign the civilian tile as the "default" tile for each race, and then assign the soldier tile for all different soldier professions. I wish I could just post the contents of the txt here, but it's a bit too long.
>>
>>150543864
I'm getting outright crashes. If I don't save and reopen every few minutes, I'm going to lose whatever it was I'm doing. I just patched the executable to use 4gb of memory (Still on .03), so hopefully that fixes it.

>>150544149
That's what I thought too, I had some higher parts designated since they refused to chop the lower part, but removing those didn't fix anything. Maybe its another tree somewhere across the map that they're just not trying to path to. Its only a shitter woodcutter, so if I lose them I'm not too worried, I just wanted to get that tree removed so I could stop losing dwarves to tree climbing nonsense.
>>
>>150501809
now kosha is dead
rip a tree fell on him and ripped his throat open
his last words were thanking my other companion for protecting him
i cri everitiem ;_;
>>
Protip: don't make your manager's/bookeeper's office in the tavren. Especially not if he's also the tavern keeper.

He just drank himself to death. Multiple times he fell unconscious and vomitted everywhere, but he kept force-feeding himself more and more liquor until he eventually died. taverns are a fucking deathtrap if you spend most of your time hanging out.
>>
new thred pls
>>
>>150545243
just like in real life, this is why I play this game, well, and the autism too

A ghost fucking ripped a hand of my female soldier, just to then going to my prision and decapitate some guy
Didn't know they could do that
>>
New Thread
>>150547493
>>150547493
>>150547493
>>150547493
Thread posts: 760
Thread images: 142

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.