[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/dfg/- Dwarf Fortress General

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 763
Thread images: 184

File: region10-100-1683.png (126KB, 2304x3840px) Image search: [Google]
region10-100-1683.png
126KB, 2304x3840px
Identify all bodies of water edition
Previous thread >>147212469

>Download the basic game here. Current version is Dwarf Fortress 0.43.04
http://www.bay12games.com/dwarves/

>Official forums:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php

>Find a bug? Don't tell us! Tell Toady! Complaining in the thread will accomplish nothing.
http://www.bay12games.com/dwarves/mantisbt

>Have a question? Check the wiki first:
http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/Main_Page

>Fireden archived threads:
https://boards.fireden.net/vg/search/subject/Dwarf%20Fortress/

>Dwarf Therapist (Out of Date):
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=122968.0

>DFHack (Out of Date):
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=139553.0

>Starter Pack (Out of Date):
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=126076.0

>More DF stuff:
http://pastebin.com/AnsHjQ40

>Dwarf Fortress General IRC chat:
http://en.irc2go.com/webchat/?net=freenode&room=dwarffortress
(to connect yourself: https://webchat.freenode.net #dwarffortress)

>A bunch of guides to various parts of fort-based living:
http://imgur.com/a/nGyRF#0

>Video tutorials:
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLBrdUj1adIBD-vgUodaaxebcdqQ4oEWtg
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLD1A3FE72C0DCAC66 (Dated, but good)

>Text tutorials:
http://dwarffortresswiki.org/DF2014:Tutorials
http://members.iinet.net.au/~morty/Getting_Started_with_Dwarf_Fortress.pdf

>This pasta:
http://pastebin.com/iAduXzjn

Strike the earth!
>>
File: microexpressions_happiness.png (120KB, 489x311px) Image search: [Google]
microexpressions_happiness.png
120KB, 489x311px
>kaolinite at embark
>>
Thread is dead, post forgotten beasts.
>>
File: elusive toad2.png (89KB, 187x208px) Image search: [Google]
elusive toad2.png
89KB, 187x208px
>tfw you find out that there is an entire /vg/ general dedicated to shitpost about your game
>>
File: sam.png (345KB, 410x413px) Image search: [Google]
sam.png
345KB, 410x413px
>>147464853
Imagine if he'd seen it when we had posters.
>>
>>147466554
Where did they all go?
>>
File: This is his foot.png (542KB, 849x667px) Image search: [Google]
This is his foot.png
542KB, 849x667px
>>147466554
Somewhere more casual, I'm sure.
Literally everywhere else.
>>
>>147466848
They're off doing rocket science and composing shakespearean sonnets or some shit.
>>
>>147464632
>yo mama
>>
Fuck me another two year old dwarf beating up cavern creatures.

I should just retire my military and let the kids have at it.
>>
>>147468528
Dwarf The Rapist has revealed that in many cases, children get HUGE.

Like iirc in the dwarven daycare thread they found out some kids were of size 90000 or size 110000.
>>
>>147468824
Sigun will be fighting trolls next.

This croc has no teeth and broken everything. Sigun is now a proficient fucking fighter at the age of two.
>>
Just stumbled into a Dark pit tower, but something is eery in it. I went downstairs to the graveyard area, and there are no goblins or the like. Just a bunch of kobolds, running from me, with no weapons, all of them frail and pathetic.

I like to imagine it was a dungeon for kobolds that the guards abandoned and have left them to starve.
>>
>>147468986
HOLY SHIT ROUND 2
Kid came back for no apparent reason just to kick around the croc some more. Now a fucking adept fighter through no intention of my own.
>>
File: Gipest Foughtblock.png (28KB, 402x713px) Image search: [Google]
Gipest Foughtblock.png
28KB, 402x713px
>>147469283
Probably just a kobold group. They can squat in abandoned sites. If you ever see kobold occupied sites like "dark kobold fortress" or "kobold hamlet" that's usually why.

I once had a kobold end up as the leader of a human civ because of that behavior. His kobold group occupied a human tomb while the human civ was being wiped out by elves. Somehow Gipest ended up the monarch and then got captured by the elves, making him a member of three civs simultaneously. I like to imagine that his high social skills convinced the elves not to execute and eat him, and that they keep him around as an insult to any surviving refugees from the human civ.
>>
File: dsa.png (1MB, 1919x1207px) Image search: [Google]
dsa.png
1MB, 1919x1207px
Haven't played in a while, but do most worlds come with dog leather houses pre-built?
>>
>>147471458
I reckon it's a tent. I wouldn't know this is my first time playing the new edition in like a year or so.

>Zombies can climb trees
I wish I'd known that before I ended up at the top of a tree after losing a toe, as they climb closer and closer, dozens of them this is actually terrifying. I hope bogeymen come and fight them.
>>
>>147471458
It must be a tent set up by goblin siegers.
>>
File: FungiwoodIsYellowAsFuck.png (63KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
FungiwoodIsYellowAsFuck.png
63KB, 1920x1080px
>>147471458
Embarked on a campsite.
>>
>>147471789
>>147471794
>>147471970
Damn, I was hoping it was spooky.
>>
File: foxsmellingflower.jpg (100KB, 700x507px) Image search: [Google]
foxsmellingflower.jpg
100KB, 700x507px
i'm starting to have a lot of dwarves, so i was wondering, what's the most dwarves anyone has ever had? can anyone remember any stories where someone had a LOT of dwarves, like a thousand perhaps?
>>
>>147469556
Say hello to your next militia commander hero.
>>
>>147473219
My fps cry at the thought of one thousand dwarves. But I'd love to be able to have that many. I guess that someday I'll try to do the most fps efficient fortress just to try and get to that number.
>>
fort didn't attract any migrants last season, but it's insanely successful and not being sieged. apparently it's related to some bug where migrant sizes diminish the more units are (and were) at your fortress - wiki says that at a population of 3000 (total unit screen including deceased), you don't get any migrants more at all.

how can i fix this? i absolutely need migrants since i want all dwarves to eventually live in my fortress. wiki links to a dfhack script that supposedly fixes that, but i can't find it anywhere, no name, no link, and dfhack ls doesn't list any command remotely related to that. i'm apparently trying to purge the "deceased unit" screen, but i can't find anything related to that, please help me.
>>
How do i engrave? I just tried engraving random rock but it didn't work. Wiki said there's bugs and im not sure.
>>
>>147474918
you can only engrave stone that's been smoothed, not rough stone. (d)esignate, (s)mooth stone on the rough stone tiles, then (e)ngrave on the smoothed tiles. there aren't bugs like THAT, mostly just bugs like really complex interactions and unimplemented/approximated stuff. not controls randomly not working.
>>
>>147474918
>>147475268
also needs engraving labor enabled on someone, and only one face a wall can be engraved. so if you have a 1x8 wall, you can't engrave both sides, the dwarves only see the engraving from the side it was engraved from.
>>
>>147474231
my fortress has no optimizations at all, and i have 6 fps with 480+ dwarves, which is fine. hell opened, huge stockpiles, central staircase, etc.
i5-2500k, 4.5ghz
>>
>>147463089
>Fire Clay, Red Sand, Coal, Flux and Magnetite
>On standard mineral frequency
>>
>>147475524
>6fps
>fine
I guess stuff doesn't move that fast in this game, but water flowing? I assume you have depth count on, doesn't that look like shit? Also did toady ever optimize for multi-core?
>>
File: happenings.png (97KB, 1914x1025px) Image search: [Google]
happenings.png
97KB, 1914x1025px
>>
>>147476254
The compiler might have done some microthreading stuff.
>>
>>147476581
Tileset? Those walls are nice
>>
So, my migrant arrived from the southwest of the map, which is the top of a quite top mountain. There is a path to the fortress, but they're just not moving one bit. I even sent my miners to make a passage through the mountain but they refuse to take it. What is going on?
>>
>>147476254
i don't have depth count on, would it look like shit? blink all the time or something? water flows fine, probably part of the reason fps aren't higher since cavern 1 is draining into cavern 2 over multiple waterfalls on statues. 6 fps is totally fine, there is so much happening at the same time and i haven't optimized or atomsmashed anything at all. it's still very playable, usually it's over 10 fps, but it drops when designating large areas (and opening hell). also most of the map is dug out, and i haven't done any traffic designations yet.

no multicore of any kind in the game right now, but toady mentioned in the dwarfmoot q&a that he's sorta working or looking into it or something, i forgot, but it's on his mind.
>>
>>147476854
Ok nothing, turns out I didn't have a single meeting zone. Problem solved.
>>
>>147476854
Do you have a meeting area set up? Perhaps if you deconstructed the wagon and didn't set up a dining room or tavern they'd have nowhere to go until you built one.
>>
>>147476854
Are they still tagged as migrants? Maybe once that goes away their normal pathing will take them to your meeting area.
>>147476984
>it's on his mind.
So basically never. It sounds difficult to implement and would require skills he probably hasn't picked up yet. Time better spent elsewhere, I'm sure. Plus I usually kill my forts before fpsdeath does. And yeah, the depth numbers update quite a few times per second so it can look pretty bad at low fps.
>>
File: Raving_maniac.png (6KB, 256x256px) Image search: [Google]
Raving_maniac.png
6KB, 256x256px
>>147476819
>>
>>147477334
>So basically never.
Well, 2 years ago multicore support wasn't even on the table, he had just flat out said that he wasn't planning on doing it. This is progress.
>>
>>147477334
no, he said he's actively looking it, just that it's hard. it's a super old game with wonky code, plus the whole job system is not suited for parallelization at all right now. but it's true, i think he mentioned that there are a lot of optimizations still to be done, especially in pathfinding. the game would be MUCH better if it were significantly optimized, but i don't think that will ever happen. toady isn't an experienced enough coder and he's not gonna let other people work on it, so i'm patiently waiting till the open source reimplementation of dwarf fortress in 10 years. no other choice.
>>
>download perfect world
>open it
... I have no idea what to do
>>
>>147478491
Had the same problem when I got it from LNP. There's a pretty simple explanatory video on YT.
>>
File: the cavern district.png (510KB, 1912x1017px) Image search: [Google]
the cavern district.png
510KB, 1912x1017px
>>147476984
>i don't have depth count on, would it look like shit? blink all the time or something?
It only blinks whenever it would blink with no depth count, like on submerged ramps and items and such. It looks fine, see >>147476581 and >>147461718 and pic related.

Something you might do if you want to get some fps back is reduce your graphical fps by a lot. I got a lot back by going all the way down to 10, though I do get a little bit of input lag. You'll still see results at higher numbers.
>>
>>147479030
gfps is already way down. it helps a tiny bit to run DF outside of X, but it's not really worth it. i think at this point it's mostly the unconstricted pathfinding, large designations and hauling jobs, and the insane amount of objects combined with my super slow ram. i'm in the process of flattening a mountain and making large bedrooms in the caves, but after that i'm planning a lot of optimization with waypoints and doors and such.
actually, anyone have any pathfinding optimization tips?
>>
File: DontKnowWhyImDoingThis.png (84KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
DontKnowWhyImDoingThis.png
84KB, 1920x1080px
>notice the melting ice is exposing bits of magma flow
>I can build on them
>don't NEED to, but why not?
>keep doing it
>what the fuck am I doing again?

>>147478491
Play with the noise/turbulence fields until you get something that looks neat, mix up a few different ones for elevation, temperature, savagery, drainage, import world_gen from your df/data/init folder, pick which size worlds you want to apply the PF stuff to, check the "use perfect world maps" boxes where applicable, export world_gen back to your folder, make a world, see how it goes.
>>
>>147478834
Alright, I'll look around then. Thanks, Urist.
>>
i just found out about dfhacks fix/fat-dwarves, and i went from 6 to 8 fps with "Fat dwarves cured: 249". how could almost all my adult dwarves be so extremely fat? what causes this? they never idle.
>>
>>147480662
[joke about Americans]
>>
>>147480662
Dwarves with ready access to food eat more often than it's possible to burn all the energy off. Eventually almost all your dwarves will be fat. It's just something that happens in old forts.
>>
>>147482095
hilarious. thanks!
>>147481661
they're communists.
>>
>>147480662
Remember, anon, the only permanent solution to fat is magma.
>>
>>147482168
There were American communists. Shitloads, if you ask Joe McCarthy.
>>
File: 220px-Joseph_McCarthy.jpg (13KB, 220x263px) Image search: [Google]
220px-Joseph_McCarthy.jpg
13KB, 220x263px
>>147482361
yeah, but i don't think they were stereotypically fat.
>>
Are there any dfhack scripts (or any other tools) that print out my adventurer's stats, numerically?
EG my size, my strength, and so forth?
>>
dwarf fortress is so beautiful. it's even better with a great color scheme. it has honestly outright fantastic graphics, using symbols and colours as representations instead of realistic visuals. similar to reading a great descriptive text, only actually graphic and beautiful to look at.

Once when the wind was soft and scented I heard the south calling, and sailed endlessly and languorously under strange stars.
Once when the gentle rain fell I glided in a barge down a sunless stream under the earth till I reached another world of purple twilight, iridescent arbours, and undying roses.
And once I walked through a golden valley that led to shadowy groves and ruins, and ended in a mighty wall green with antique vines, and pierced by a little gate of bronze.
>>
Are doors needed to properly make a room?
>>
>>147486471
depends on the room.
for rooms that are zoned, like bedrooms, doors will stop the zone from spilling out of the room into the hallway or other adjacent rooms.
if it's just a large room for workshops, then doors aren't required
>>
>>147486471
no
>>
>>147486471
No but it helps set rooms up in the sense a room will recognize a door so you can edit it better, also gives that little value bonus
>>
>>147486471
>>147487747
Yeah the value bonus is nice for happiness, and they're easy to make. And they train your carpenters ofc
>>
oh shit, one of my captains split a forgotten beast apart with a single hit, but he got caught in some sort of frozen extract and now he's completely covered in blisters, falling over from pain. how could i help him?
>>
File: 27-SUPPORT.jpg (63KB, 621x567px) Image search: [Google]
27-SUPPORT.jpg
63KB, 621x567px
>>
File: dorfwash.png (19KB, 215x449px) Image search: [Google]
dorfwash.png
19KB, 215x449px
>>147488237
Set up a hospital and doctor, lots of soap, a dorfwash nearby?
>>
>>147489684
i have those things, but no one is helping him. he's covered in blisters and in lots of pain, but there are no wounds or anything, and i'm not sure if he has anything that a doctor could look at. but he's unmoving on the floor because of the pain, so he can't move through one of my many bathtubs or waterfalls.
>>
Is there any way to make a dwarf who is near a lever get priority in pulling it? My entire fortress is going to die to an invasion because the game decided to give the job to pull up the drawbridge to a dwarf on the other side of my fucking fortress.
>>
>>147490421
Use either dfhack or therapist to clear all assignments.
>>
What the fuck, my macelord just died from fucking nothing. The squad was training and suddenly this happens.

Was the guy sick or something? Nothing in the combat log.
>>
>tfw playing DF on Forth of July because my family is too far away
Awww man
>>
>>147484976
Honestly one of the things that drew me to it in the first place was that it was by far the most beautiful ASCII game I'd ever seen. The tiny microdetails like the ~s of water flowing properly and raindrops appearing and how detailed and lush the '`,. grass looked completely grabbed me.

It's part of why I can't switch to a proper visual tileset; the grass and water always look too flat and lifeless. I'm glad there's more sets now like Taffer that blend ASCII and graphics better.
>>
>>147490635
>the spring has arrived
old age lad, old age
>>
File: llama wool trousers.png (68KB, 1082x358px) Image search: [Google]
llama wool trousers.png
68KB, 1082x358px
How do I interpret these stats? Specifically Shear Yield/Fracture and Imapct Yield/Fracture
>>
>>147491089
... Seriously?
>>
>>147488237
Give him a warrior's burial: a slow, somber descent into magma.
>>
File: squidbillies-asbestos-i-can.jpg (58KB, 400x300px) Image search: [Google]
squidbillies-asbestos-i-can.jpg
58KB, 400x300px
Goddammit I love Squidbillies.

>For the next 10 years Rusty was raised by wolves... horribly.

>>147491937
Stiffness and resistance to cutting.
>>
>>147490507
>>147490421
Survived. Luckily my macedwarves were able to fend them off.

>lever puller finally arrives to pull lever
>don't need it raised anymore, lower it again
>squashes my best soldier

dem dorfs
>>
>>147493113
Don't type like that, and yes, seriously, old age deaths occur on the first day of new year.
>>
>>147491937
oh shit this is awesome, is this new in DFHack or what? I virtually never use utilities
>>
>>147494171
So are these trousers 38% as resistant to cutting as iron, but super not-stiff?
I have a rope reed shirt which has the same Impact Strength stats, but it has 387% iron Shear Yield and 193% iron Shear Fracture, which seems weird to me.

>>147495603
I dunno, probably. All of that info is after a "More Information (DFHack):" line, but I'm using the latest Masterwork mod, so it might have some extra script.
>>
>>147480662
>>147482208

Fat is fucking great... in Dwarf Fortress. It makes them much tougher.

It IS a bit horrifying to imagine, as derfs get UNBELIEVABLY fat if you have some way of measuring their sizes; we're talking dwarven children (in the childcare threads) with size 90000 and 110000, some of it surely muscle due to training, but a lot of it being children of a race smaller than humans getting so fat they are bigger than adult human males in total volume.

However being fat is a good thing in DF land so I am glad. As I understand it, the fatness not only makes them more durable, but it makes their clothes/armor thicker. You will often see children beating up improbable monsters and it is almost certainly due to their enormous size.
>>
>>147495914
That is goddamn hilarious.
>>
File: df.png (12KB, 561x125px) Image search: [Google]
df.png
12KB, 561x125px
>>147494679
Daily reminder to tightly close your danger rooms.
>>
>>147496212
didn't mean the reply
>>
>>147496212
>2016
>still insisting on using danger rooms
You do know there is no point in military anyway so you might as well let them train in peace at their own pace?
>>
>>147496313
Maybe not everyone enjoys hiding behind trap halls all game.
>>
>>147496313
Not sure if I'd go that far.
>>
>>147496383
What do you mean trap halls? The only challenge in this game is yourself, either overextending too quick or poorly designing your fort, there is no need for any trap halls, Efficient designs allow for not using traps at all, since the ai is dumb as a bunch of rocks, that also means your military dwarves ai is downright moronic, and as such using military for anything more than mop-up operations is downright asking for severe population losses.
>>
>>147496625
Sorry to upset you. I like fighting things with my military, which is more fun when they're stronger.
>>
>>147496836
You choose to fight with your military which is inefficient and I can understand that, yet you insist on powergaming training using a borderline exploity mechanic, which I don't get. If you want to powergame, why not use the most efficient methods available at your disposal?
>>
>>147496625
i don't think you're using them right. if they're completely covered in armor and dodge well, they basically only take damage from aoe attacks anymore, unless we're talking demons. can't remember the last time a beast wasn't killed in a single hit by an adamantine axe, definitely years ago.
>>
>>147497049
Have you never pressed r?
>>
>>147497127
It all comes down to rng mechanics regarding forgotten beast generation, and if you're talking using adamantine weapons that means you already know how to get to candy without compromising your fort security, which in turn means you're using military for the sake of using it.
>>
>>147497049
Ermagerd, someone isn't playing Dwarf Fortress in the most optimized fashion?! HOLY FUCKING SHIT, I must rage at them online.
>>
>>147497356
Projecting isn't really giving your statement any additional weigh and it seems you only chip in because you have nothing of value to add to the discussion but don't want to feel left out.
>>
>>147497479
>projecting

Well, no, you were giving someone shit specifically for having fun the wrong way in a not optimized enough fashion.
>>
Does the "Focused" status condition that you get from having all your needs met do anything in particular? I could imagine that it... raises your Focus.
>>
>>147497557
I questioned the validity of using danger rooms, the rest is you simply jumping to conclusions or trying to build a strawman, depending on your mileage using 4chan.
>>
>>147497806

Its not a strawman, your feelings were hurt by him having fun in a way you dislike. Obviously if you believed military were useless, then there is no way whatsoever to be offended by someone using something they're better off avoiding.
>>
File: ACampOfFireAndIce.png (90KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
ACampOfFireAndIce.png
90KB, 1920x1080px
>>147497679
A (still unquantified last I checked, I didn't find it when dfhack was updated, I'll be looking when it catches up next) skill success boost, a rather significant accuracy boost.

The values don't matter, just the relative difference here:

13k base accuracy on the same target with the same difficult/square or whatnot with no focused/distracted status showing

23k base accuracy with 4 or 5 needs met and Focused!

9k base accuracy with all needs unmet and Distracted in yellow.
>>
File: ok.png (420KB, 558x678px) Image search: [Google]
ok.png
420KB, 558x678px
'offended'
'hurt'
'rage'
'upset'
>>
>>147498010
And we're back to projecting it seems. I don't think there's even point in trying to get you to form a coherent argument as will simply devolve into shit flinging competition.
>>
>>147477741
>in 10 years
I bet we will get DF's code only after toady's death.
>>
>>147498209
Ok. You may wish to think twice before crying because someone had fun wrong in the future.
>>
>>147498109
Holy shit, giving an adventurer difficult to meet needs can in fact fuck him up it seems. Interesting siantz though, thanks.
>>
File: horse-in-tweed-suit.jpg (120KB, 950x534px) Image search: [Google]
horse-in-tweed-suit.jpg
120KB, 950x534px
>>147497350
i agree they're not a reliable enough defense for a fort, but they're definitely the best choice in a lot of cases. they're not difficult to train or equip, and they enable you to kill things. it has nothing to do with rng anymore after a certain point. there are tough beasts, but what could they do? the only danger is aoe attacks, fireballs, dust, that sort of thing. but you have war animals to aggro + kite and marksdwarves to disable over a distance, and then a single melee dwarf to kill the thing reliably on his first hit because of his great stats and gear (if the enemy doesn't die to arrows or dodges into oblivion), and it's okay if he gets disintegrated by the dust afterwards because you have hundreds of dwarves and they're legendary in like two years, and you get a cool statue and story out of it. i agree that engineering enemies away is much more elegant and "safe", but a military is, besides being effective at designated killing, absolutely essential. there is no "using it for the sake of using it" since dwarves get an unhappy thought about a lack of protection if your military is too small. that's not to mention that everyone needs to be technically military for the non-degrading body covering. also, it's just something for dwarves to do - they're put on this world and into your fortress to what, eternally turn resources into crafts? some dwarves have both an interest and a need in working out and martial arts. they're the only race to go into martial trance for a reason. it's simply something for them to do and create stories with, and it's what makes fortresses intimidating - if you go there, hundreds of well-trained killing machines, each consistently more murderous than demons, emerge from a place worse than hell itself and do whatever they want, without fear of death. not "can't ever go there". really, with an optimal military you can go conquer hell and reside in it, an what downside does it have?
>>
>>147498336
Toady isn't that old, jeeze. In fact given how far DF has come, at the current rate I'd imagine any development at the time of his natural death would be bugfix/optimization related.
>>
>>147498209
i don't think you're ultimately interested in arguments or a genuine discussion where your values are subject to change about the validity of a military. i think you just wanted to feel cool or maybe even superior about your way of playing, but only in a not that serious half-hearted way.
>>
Looks like if your civilization is dead, retiring a fortress doesn't reenable dwarves in adventure mode. Yeouch! Seafood soup!
>>
File: ThinkIHaveAProblem.png (53KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
ThinkIHaveAProblem.png
53KB, 1920x1080px
Oh god... Legendary Woodcutter.

Having access to caverns and glitchy volcano tubes introduces a whole minigame of trying to get something interesting built before the magma/water/ice closes in... and I've been doing this all day.

>>147498530
Yup, there may be other more difficult to quantify effects, accuracy was the easiest (aim an attack, check your unit.actions[next].attack_accuracy) and the skill thing I can see happening but haven't been able to track down where it is listed specifically, so, eh.
>>
>>147499003
I believe that there is a very narrow scope of situation in which dwarven military is indeed the best choice, but only due to convenience. Regarding the fb issue a number of their types, namely, as you mentioned, the aoe spammers, dusters, but also certain symptom bearers and webbers require, as again you mentioned, much more attention, and while I believe utilising local tamed fauna does alleviate the issue it still is, in my opinion simply inefficient or not as efficient as simply baiting the offending creature into position and simply collapsing the ceiling onto it or turning it into obsidian statue. I agree that partaking in military is indeed one of the more common dwarven ambition and it does make them happy, however I feel that getting into discussion about dwarven purpose in life and overall fortress theme is simply straying a little too far from the topic at hand and for me, personally, the usefulness of dwarven military outside of providing your citizens with something to do or creating it for the sake of being 'dwarfy' is rather miniscule. Also I don't think that having a military is wrong or improper as some anons believe or appear to believe, I simply think that powertraining your military while there is already little use for them is beating the dead horse with a stick.
>>
I set Night Trolls to 1000, and the last human habitation had 24 humans in it. I hid in a house to sleep, and at the night I saw little asterixes moving around on the world map like ants as I slept -- hordes of night trolls looking for the last uncorrupted humans to rape.
>>
>>147501225
l-lewd
>>
File: UnswrvingHabitOfChopping.png (54KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
UnswrvingHabitOfChopping.png
54KB, 1920x1080px
>>147501225
You gon' get raped, Urist.

Bet you wish >>147500460 had trained more soldiers to kill sum trollz huh!
>>
>>147502351
Tileset-anon is YOUTHFUL
Tileset-anin is HIP
>>
>>147476132
>On standard mineral frequency
it's just the amount you get of each, not how many different types iirc
>>
>>147470336
>pacify and comedy at great levels
He just told them jokes whenever they thought of executing him
>>
File: TilesetAnonIsNuts.gif (1MB, 1455x1078px) Image search: [Google]
TilesetAnonIsNuts.gif
1MB, 1455x1078px
>>147502515
My mommy says I'm hip!
>>
>>147489609
>too
Worthless image.
>>
File: theelfexposed.png (150KB, 1468x1060px) Image search: [Google]
theelfexposed.png
150KB, 1468x1060px
Which one do you support?
>>
File: Moltenproblems.png (43KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
Moltenproblems.png
43KB, 1920x1080px
>>147506013
>not building inside a briefly empty volcano tube
>having to deal with cold walls, and floors... and ceilings
>needing to go all the way over to a nearby volcano to dispose of bodies and garbage
>barbaric
>>
Will a propelled creature smash a window if it hits it? If not, does anyone know if this is on the agenda for Toady?

This, along with a more detailed worldgen that creates buildings with windows, would make adventure mode far more interesting. More detailed buildings overall would be cool. For example, the treehouses should all have ladders connecting them to the ground, so that the elves can actually move around their sites like the other races can. More buildings with multiple floors, and some with balconies and roof hatches, would also be cool, and make parkour funner.
>>
>>147506619
Windows are walls, indestructible. It's somewhere there in the future.
>>
>>147506013
This image really needs to show a human rather than a goblin.
>>
>>147506704
That's not true. Unlike walls, which count as constructions, windows count as furniture, and should thus be destructible by building destroyers.
>>
Does anyone have a new highend CPU and what type of performance do they get? I've got an i7 2600k and feel like it's time to start looking into buying a new CPU
>>
File: OhShitSorryFolks.png (55KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
OhShitSorryFolks.png
55KB, 1920x1080px
So I'm all buffed and shit, hyperlethal, and I make a point to give the random animal folks in the caverns a wide berth cause I don't wanna bump into them and punch heads off or whatnot accidentally.

Then I decide to go ahead and use some spore tree wood to fill out a bit until the blood thorns grow back, and the first fucking tree I cut down lands on a little group of amphibian people, killing one instantly.

>>147506619
Not yet, once tiles get reword I imagine stuff like damaged constructions will be a big priority, being able to have thin walls you toss up fast but are flimsy, solid stone blocks with mortar, etc.
>>
File: helm plump man2.jpg (21KB, 251x299px) Image search: [Google]
helm plump man2.jpg
21KB, 251x299px
bumi
>>
>>147506790
Goblins and elves oppose each other on most ethical values though. Humans having them be randomized can put certain human civilizations at peace with elves.
>>
>>147510463
Yeah I guess. Makes sense as goblin propaganda.
>>
File: FinishedTower.gif (830KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
FinishedTower.gif
830KB, 1920x1080px
>>147510463
Which is amusing because the 64 bit world gen I did and have been playing on currently is fucking full of elves going to war with gobs and humans.
>>
So like, for someone just starting, what's a good embark setup thing? Like, skills for my dwarves and stuff to take
>>
>>147511650
Seven alchemists in freezing biome, preferably ice, make sure its evil, no axes, and no anvils as they are too heavy, rest should be plump helmets, also take at least two cats of opposing genders to ward off vermin.
>>
>>147511650
Just leave it at default and ignore >>147512309
Try for a place that is temperate and MAKE SURE it has no aquifer.
>>
>>147511650
If you're completely new I think one of the beginner packs has a pregenned world with a fort saved right after embark so you can follow the walkthrough.

If you know a little, then you probably just want to avoid aquifers, the oceans and evil biomes. Shallow metal"S" are good to help you learn about equipping your dwarves for military early on and Flux Stone is necessary for steel production which is the best normally obtainable weapon and armor material.
>>
>10
>>
File: 1406623385723.png (230KB, 577x305px) Image search: [Google]
1406623385723.png
230KB, 577x305px
>>
File: yuishiggy.png (248KB, 343x391px) Image search: [Google]
yuishiggy.png
248KB, 343x391px
>>147515758
>pic shows the throat, not the neck
>pic shows the part flying off in an arc, not collapsing into a lump of gore
>pic shows the part flying off separated from the rest of the head, while it the game the head would follow the severed neck
>>
File: kumo.jpg (132KB, 1497x1000px) Image search: [Google]
kumo.jpg
132KB, 1497x1000px
>game lets you play as a spider
>don't get spider related abilities

No excuse. I should have the natural ability to spin webs, have venomous bites and walk up walls. Mod when?
>>
>>147517180
Make it yourself.
>>
>>147517180
Why does she have head on her cunt?
>>
File: heresy magic.png (549KB, 1129x1600px) Image search: [Google]
heresy magic.png
549KB, 1129x1600px
>>147517762
Because she was originally a human that reincarnated into a spider that then assimilated a lot of power and evolved to create an appearance similar to what she had when she was human.
>>
>>147517762
Because it's always a matter of how stupid do you want the anatomy in your centaur-type critters?

"Ow, god, my upper ribs!"
'Wait, which ones?'
"The upper ones, you know, the humanoid portion?"
'...I'm finding a different adventuring party.'

Also, copy over [STANCE_CLIMBER], [WEBIMMUNE] (is there a SUPER?), and the web interaction?
>>
File: Hmmmm.png (95KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
Hmmmm.png
95KB, 1920x1080px
>perfect world made for 129x129 maps
>stuck it on a 33x33 to see what happened
>>
>>147515758
>>147516316
yep, pretty shit desu senpai Imo
>>
File: BigMapsetLittleWorld.png (81KB, 792x1188px) Image search: [Google]
BigMapsetLittleWorld.png
81KB, 792x1188px
>>147520141
http://pastebin.com/HviREUVj
>>
File: Безымянный.png (1MB, 1912x2058px) Image search: [Google]
Безымянный.png
1MB, 1912x2058px
Can i use 1 track for 2 routes? Minecrarts seems to be blocking each others route and dwarves hauling minecarts instead of pushing them. But maybe i am doing something wrong.
>>
>>147524104
You can use 1 track for two routes, but not one stop. Operating minecarts can't share a tile except when they're being guided. This makes planning routes that share tracks difficult, but it's doable.
>>
>>147524391
Well i tried it with with different stops already as you can see at 1st pic. But they didnt use it properly anyway.
>>
>>147524391
Nevermind i am an idiot.
>>
>>147468986
Legendary wood crafter what the fuck

Someone tell me what do do with 20 fucking bards and poets i've "accidentally" allowed to stay in my fort. CBF waiting 2 years until they become citizens.
>>
>>147524507
Yeah, I'm sure there's a logic you could work with one stop feeding two carts going to two different stops.

>>147524983
Well, tavern rhymes with cavern... move it down there after marking all their gear and clothes for dumping, if they survive they get to come back to the upper fort.
>>
Does /dfg/ prefer their forts to wide/deep or tall?
I prefer to keep as much as possible on one z level and leave the rest for mines.
>>
>>147525489
I like 'em deeper than a 3rd year philosophy major.
>>
>>147525489
Seperate layers for different things, keep bedrooms far away from workshops etc.
>>
File: DFG.png (5KB, 392x23px) Image search: [Google]
DFG.png
5KB, 392x23px
So this is how you get legendary woodcrafter as a child.
>>
volcano eruptions when?
>>
File: 24214123.png (667KB, 1920x1030px) Image search: [Google]
24214123.png
667KB, 1920x1030px
>>147526587
There is nothing special.
>>
>>147526697
RIght after multithreading.
>>
>>147524680
Don't worry, we all feel that way.

that you're an idiot
>>
>>147526587
Not if it's a possession.
>>
File: 20160704_220134[1].jpg (1MB, 2560x1536px) Image search: [Google]
20160704_220134[1].jpg
1MB, 2560x1536px
So I had a df related dream last night, and I sketched it out (1/2)

> A human farmer who lives in the woods with his wife and child returns from a long journey to the city
> Finds his home in ruins and the corpses of his spouse and son
> Finds both their skulls picked clean, a signature of a local goblin warparty
> Thought they would usually go find nobles, guess they found his home and raided it
> Desires revenge
> Knows of a local diety who represents revenge, loyalty and ash
> Goes to the diety who was expecting the farmer
> Understands the farmer's plight for revenge, gives him Galkaolit an artifact sword and a toen of his religion
> Says that the sword will lead him to the blood of his enemies and give him the power to defeat them
> In return the farmer will owe the diety
> The farmer accepts
>>
>>147526587
No. Possessions don't increase their skill.
>>
File: SomeKindaPoolPartyMaybe.png (39KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
SomeKindaPoolPartyMaybe.png
39KB, 1920x1080px
>>147528147
Well fuck, that's surprisingly badass.
>>
File: 20160704_220206[1].jpg (1MB, 2560x1536px) Image search: [Google]
20160704_220206[1].jpg
1MB, 2560x1536px
(2/2)

> The diety was no liar, the sword truly did lead the farmer to the blood of his enemies
> It pointed to the direction and the farmer only needed to follow
> Once he had reached the goblin bandits the sword became ecstatic
> It made him quicker and stronger, and the sword so thirsty for goblin blood guided him to cleave his enemies to pieces
> By the end of the battle only the farmer was standing, with a few minor wounds he had accomplished his wish
> Only moments after the battle the diety had reappeared to him, seems it had followed him the whole way
> The diety explains that he has fulfilled the farmer's wish and now it was time for the farmer to pay it back
> The diety explained that now the human shall be his fighter, or more honestly his war-slave
> He will carry Galkaolit and slay whoever the diety chooses
> Willed by an unknown force the human cannot refuse and is imbued into the diety's service
> He spends the rest of eternity scouring the lands slaying whoever or whatever his master desires, acquiring gifts of armor and tokens from his fallen enemies he does not wither

And then I wokeup from my dream
>>
>>147528752
Was the dream in ascii or did you use a tileset?
>>
File: 24214123.png (787KB, 1920x1030px) Image search: [Google]
24214123.png
787KB, 1920x1030px
>>147524104
Well now everything works fine. Except minecart is dropping food. Dwarf is guiding it, not pushing.
>>
>>147528861
It was ASCii
for those extra details
>>
File: Brilliant.jpg (60KB, 600x450px) Image search: [Google]
Brilliant.jpg
60KB, 600x450px
>Got silver whip from human caravan
Dis gonna be gud
>>
File: WaitWhenDidThatHappen.png (65KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
WaitWhenDidThatHappen.png
65KB, 1920x1080px
Huh... I'm apparently the master of my civ now?

There was a dragon that had the position, but I started in the mead hall with them, killed it while the lord I was supposed to protect smoldered... and I guess it goes by highlander rules?

>>147528752
As I said, surprisingly badass, and why I love this game, all the stories that emerge from it.
>>
>>147528147
>>147528752
If I dreamed in stock fantasy tropes I think I would kill myself.
>>
>>147530348
You ought to, in prevention.

How to get rid of corpses of kobolds and humans who died fighting each other in my fort.
>>
>>147525153
How do you mark their gear for dumping? Stocks menu?
>>
>>147530593
Make corpses stockpile.
>>
>>147531097
Yar, or you can view their inventory directly and dump it item by item, faster through the stocks.
>>
>>147530593
>You ought to, in prevention.
In a time before time I killed me.
>>
>>147531907
i have that, but i want to bury them or such. atom smashing is a lazy option
>>
>>147533263
>dig hole
>dump bodies
>build a floor over the hole

Closest you're getting to a burial, unless you want to drop a cave in on them or obsidianize them.
>>
File: 1406585471719.gif (130KB, 450x300px) Image search: [Google]
1406585471719.gif
130KB, 450x300px
>>
>>147534915
Do you see demons being more brutal in the short future. Like, putting some effort in fucking with earthling's minds and lives instead of just killing them.
They could have characteristics procedurally created to match this, like a demon that feeds solely on terror, and needs to make dwarven lives horrible to live, etc.
Somehow, it could surely be a result of the hostility slide
>>
File: RevengeForMyDwarvenSisters.png (51KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
RevengeForMyDwarvenSisters.png
51KB, 1920x1080px
Huh, so the elves which took over this dorf town just lost their claim, but their queen can stay... why?

She's the goblin standing there.

I geared up the dwarf poet there and gave them a promotion to lord/became a hearthperson along with the others I recruited beforehand.

Fuckin' elves coming in here, taking over MY people's towns?

Hell naw.
>>
>>147506930
that's not necessary at all. overclock hard and get some faster ram with low latency.
>>
>>147535754
What do you expect, that they immediately start walking to whatever forest retreat they came from?
>>
File: 14211736003790.jpg (6KB, 192x200px) Image search: [Google]
14211736003790.jpg
6KB, 192x200px
>mfw no goblin siege for 6 years
>mfw embarked near 2 towers and no necromancer siege for 7 years
>>
File: toplel.jpg (26KB, 425x315px) Image search: [Google]
toplel.jpg
26KB, 425x315px
>mfw a human from the caravan was a vampire and drained a useless peasant for blood
>>
>>147539098
>Mfw never had a single invasion in all the 6 months ive been playing the game
>Mfw never had a FB atack me at all
>mfw i have no face
>>
Any guesses?
>>
>>147536818
They do actually leave and set up camp outside of town when you throw off an occupation.
>>
>>147539754
birch figurine
spikes of puppy bone
image of elves laughing and being merry
>>
>>147540148
Not bad, 110k dorfbucks.

Also, related to an event 450 years earlier, damn.
>>
File: ksksk.png (88KB, 1600x860px) Image search: [Google]
ksksk.png
88KB, 1600x860px
>have become so OP not even the demons can stop me
>>
>>147540357
Until you encounter one with an OP superpower, like webbing.
>>
>>147540881
Word, even with my 10.0 speed supersoldier godmode adventurers webbers are ass.
>>
>>147540881
Aaaand thats why I brought along spears for kiting.
The worst I've encountered was giant cuckoos with deadly dust.
>>
Can i just smash nobles with AS? Maybe there is better ways to make them less annoying?
>>
File: HeyGuysWhatsGoingOhShi.png (71KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
HeyGuysWhatsGoingOhShi.png
71KB, 1920x1080px
The fuck kinda party did I walk in on?

First sign of any of those asterisks as I'm walking up:

>the frail elf swordmaster: I must withdraw!
>the jutting chin dwarf recruit bites the zombie giant polar bear in the head, latching on firmly!
>the skinny elf recruit locks the tall elf bowman's right hip with their upper arm!
>>
File: TheFuckIsAllThisShit.png (92KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
TheFuckIsAllThisShit.png
92KB, 1920x1080px
>>147541908
Couple of them are listed as being my ally, but weirdly not the ones I knocked the giant zombie polar bear off of?

Fuck it, ya'll have fun chewing on that bearcorpse, I'm heading to the bar.
>>
>>147512309
LMAO!2CAT!!!
>>
>>147539754
niiiice floors
well, until they hit the walls, then it looks weird because there's a bit of floor on the other side
>>
>>147539754
>not making your library symmetrical

Uh excuse me wtf r u doing?
>>
>>147541237
You can either appoint nobles with no item preferences or just suck it up and make their amulets and bucklers and millstones or whatever. It's not like meeting mandates is difficult, especially after the workshop specifications update.
>>
File: 24214123.png (649KB, 1920x1030px) Image search: [Google]
24214123.png
649KB, 1920x1030px
>>147539098
YES! YES!
>>
So like will armies invade and conquer towns in adventure mode? And if not, when can we expect that to be updated?
>>
>>147543964
I heard a rumor about a raiding party coming to fuck up a town and then I stumbled across them sleeping in their tents outside of it. I've also been running into a lot of insurrections but I'm not sure if those are related.
>>
>>147543964
It doesn't matter whether its dorf mode or adventure mode, armies move regardless, except that in adventure mode you can show up and try to save a town under siege. Check towards the end of the month, if you find encampments full of gobbos, kill them all.
>>
File: tilesetanon's adventure.png (28KB, 1129x541px) Image search: [Google]
tilesetanon's adventure.png
28KB, 1129x541px
>>147541908
Made an OC out of it.

Funny fact: this is the second OC I post in the general that is based on your adventures.
>>
>>147544331
How can I check which towns are currently under siege?
>>
>>147544418
You can either monitor it in legends (not recommended) or simply do a walk-by in adventure mode.

You can also protect sites from being taken over by retiring buff adventures to it. For example, normally dwarves will emigrate to your new fortress when you start a new one, but nondwarves won't, so leaving some human or (((elf))) adventurers there will ensure someone will be guarding it.
>>
File: 24214123.png (713KB, 1920x1030px) Image search: [Google]
24214123.png
713KB, 1920x1030px
Are they serious?
>>
>>147544830
There's strong. Then there's army strong.
>>
>>147544830
An idea I heard is to have a monster that is shuttered in your communal sleeping area. Thus when you want to jostle everyone awake, flip the switch so they can see the monster and get freaked out.
>>
>>147539871
Not while you're watching. The site has to be unloaded first.
>>
>>147545069
>communal sleeping area
do you seriously deny dorfs their own rooms?

what the actual fuck
>>
File: index.jpg (47KB, 500x437px) Image search: [Google]
index.jpg
47KB, 500x437px
>>147545069
>when you want to jostle everyone awake, flip the switch so they can see the monster and get freaked out.
>see the monster while sleeping
>>
>>147545069
Tfw ur alarm in the morning is a caged, screaming hydra in the center of your dormitory.

Wew.
>>
>>147545350
I think they would wake up, not sure. If not, at least you could intercept derfs who wanted to sleep.

>>147545289
Its stupidly easier to give them opulence in a single room than 101 separate rooms.
>>
File: tmp_12041-cowardlyLion-185017445.jpg (176KB, 1600x1201px) Image search: [Google]
tmp_12041-cowardlyLion-185017445.jpg
176KB, 1600x1201px
>>147544635
>(not recommended)
What? Are you actually saying that it's easier to 'simply' walk to every settlement whose siege status you want to know than to look it up in legends? I know you love to shill for adv mode, and I love you for it, but come on. That's absurd.
>>
>>147545854
>Are you actually saying that it's easier to 'simply' walk to every settlement whose siege status you want to know than to look it up in legends

I typically play on very small worlds with the civs very crammed together. But more than that, I find checking for legends on even relatively small worlds very annoying.

>shill for adventurer mode
>in response to a question *about adventure mode*

what
>>
So, how would you like if I made a fortress specially designed for someone to go through it in adventure mode.
How come man-made dungeons are so forgotten in this community?

Even minecraft has downloadable maps, what the fuck
>>
>>147546928
Do it then.
>>
>>147546928
It'd be pretty cool.

However the reason they haven't really caught on I think is that everyone likes different mods and such.
>>
>>147543282
That's... Not my library.
>>
>>147546493
>in response to a question *about adventure mode*
Don't play dumb. You know exactly what I mean. Well, assuming you're >>147542056 >>147541908.

You're not fooling me.
>>
>>147547017
>>147547050
Sounds about right, Ill make one.
Any preferences?
Mazes, monsters, colyseum, parkour?
>>
>>147548197
All of the above. Post us some teaser shots also, a bit of exposition, maybe some misleading ideas...
>>
File: training.png (15KB, 324x182px) Image search: [Google]
training.png
15KB, 324x182px
what can i do to make my militia more efficient? looks like i suck at this
it seems that my training isnt good enough, i set em to train 10 out of 10, 3/4 of the year (one free month every three training schedule), they all train inside the same barracks (train with individual and squad equipment from one armor stand)
equipment and happiness its not a problem, but looks like my training plan is just shit
>>
>>147548787
It takes a long time to get good soldiers.

Proper armor is more important anyways.
>>
>>147548787
You just have to wait more. It takes 3-4 years to become X-lord/master and get good military related skills.
>>
File: training2.png (2KB, 250x136px) Image search: [Google]
training2.png
2KB, 250x136px
>>147548916
>>147549403
rush for steel then? i usually settle for iron set the first years, goblins arent a problem because cage traps are robust but sometimes i get the fun swamp colossus that shoots fire and cant move without legs

also, individual armor/weapon stands are worth?
>>
File: WellArentYouMetalAsFuck.png (91KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
WellArentYouMetalAsFuck.png
91KB, 1920x1080px
>>147544376
Nice, there were more people running around but in all that chaos I just left after seeing those ones.
>>
>>147549506
>rush for steel then?
Imo, yes.
>individual armor/weapon stands are worth?
I've never thought of that... I make a single armor/weapon stand for each squad. Works fine.
>>
>>147545238
Actually that is only the case if you're currently on the enemy list for one of the units.

If you kill the administrator in a manner which DOESN'T involve something that gets retaliations, they just get up and leave.
>>
File: ConfusionReigns.png (322KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
ConfusionReigns.png
322KB, 1920x1080px
>>147547970
(wrong anon)
>>
>>147547970
>Well, assuming you're

No. My last two adventurer mode encounters was the bit about 1000 night trolls crawling everywhere like ants, and finding out that retiring a dwarf fortress in a derfless world doesn't bring you the option of playing dwarf adventurers.
>>
>>147548197

One idea I had was something like a goblin fort that had goblins, trolls, beak dogs, maybe ogres, and hard to reach necromancers behind bars, lots of masterwork gear to find, etc. Just an idea.
>>
>>147548787
Just wait. Military training is a very "set it and forget it" kind of process. If you didn't have already skilled soldiers to seed their progression, it will take a few years. If you did, you might start seeing weaponlords in as little as a year and a half.
You should completely ignore >>147548916, full masterwork armor has never been half as valuable as legendary blocking or dodging, and the most recent update has greatly expanded that value gap. A dwarf covered in adamantine can have their neck broken by a solid shot to the head, but a legendary blocker will almost never have that issue.
>>
>>147550204
>adjusts tin foil cap
Oh. Nevermind then.
But I've got my eye on you.
>>
>>147550402
Yeah, that sounds right.
I'll probably use statues or engravings to give messages or orientation to players
Its gonna be a pocket world, so I can work without problems with fps.
Trapping enemies is gonna be the hardest part.
Dont expect it soon.
>You should start making some Oc as offering for this proyect btw, preferably stories about magic or mechanics you would like into dwarf fortress
>>
>>147552035
I'd personally just use one of the simple mods that enables playing goblins, you can even keep troll and ogre pet val at the default cost of 1 or what not. Embark with a bajillion evil fauna to stock your dungeon.

That is, unless you typically get enough siegers to be a satisfying stocking.
>>
>>147553180
well, thats a good idea, thanks
>>
How does it look?
Will first scout the area with an adventurer, then retire him close to where I'll embark to use him later as a dungeon tester.
Probably gonna embark next to the tower and volcano
>>
File: CouldTryToBuildOneOfThese.png (68KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
CouldTryToBuildOneOfThese.png
68KB, 1920x1080px
>>147554518
Well, gotta sacrifice the hell layer to get the glitch, but having the caverns open from any volcano and all the shit you can build down in these volcano tubes...
>>
It's here!

07/05/2016
Here are the first official 64-bit releases! This would not be possible without help from our community -- you can view the exciting and sometimes late-night discussion over in the 0.43.04 release thread if you want to see how the cake was baked. This release should also make worlds generated with the same seed more consistent, and it has a few other minor fixes we managed to sneak in.

New stuff
64-bit support, pulling the game from the distant past into the previous decade

Major bug fixes
Fixed problem with artistic skill assignment causing world histories to diverge
Fixed problem with worldgen trade causing world histories to diverge

Other bug fixes/tweaks
Stopped babies/children from competing in w.g. events
Made gorlaks able to open doors, stopped desizing of their heads
Fixed some mem leaks
07/05/2016
Released Dwarf Fortress 0.43.05
>>
Once magic becomes a more robust part of the game, DF will incorporate all of the following:
Dwarfs
Dwellings
Dwindling
Dweomercraft
>>
>>147556156
no m8, I was talking about the pocket world where I'll make the dungeon fortress, I just forgot the pic
>>
File: 1406786585118.png (322KB, 749x1440px) Image search: [Google]
1406786585118.png
322KB, 749x1440px
>>
File: RonPaulHappeningBunker.gif (188KB, 670x473px) Image search: [Google]
RonPaulHappeningBunker.gif
188KB, 670x473px
>>147557012
>>
File: 1268499484515.jpg (188KB, 900x300px) Image search: [Google]
1268499484515.jpg
188KB, 900x300px
>>147557012
>>
>>147557012
PRAISE THE OMNISSIAH
>>
>>147557012
omgorsh there's no .png not found error!

No having to load up vim and edit the relevant files!
>>
>>147557012
Why are people so excited over this, out of curiosity? Is it solely due to the diverging history bug?
>>
>>147561189
pretty sure its the 64bit support
>>
>>147561189
More ram, subtle but important reduction of the onset of lag/fps death, better performance in high pop sites, bigger longer worlds with more history.
>>
>>147561304
>>147561334
But I mean as opposed to the prior 64 bit DF.
>>
>>147561189
Gorlaks opening doors is a gamechanger. Fort will never be the same.
>>
>Toady in rapid fire update mode
I feel sorry for the people that work on therapist and dfhack
>>
>>147562435
I feel sorry for toady himself, autism is a difficult condition
>>
>>147562435
>tfw dfhack fire .43 never
>>
File: 300YearBitnessTest.gif (886KB, 1560x2340px) Image search: [Google]
300YearBitnessTest.gif
886KB, 1560x2340px
>>147561558
Yeah, that's what I was talking about, I've been on the linux test 64 bit for a couple days now, that's what the whole world-gen tests I did were about... hang on, which thread is this?

Oh, it was last thread apparently.

Ok, I ran the same seed/settings/everything on 32 bit and 64 bit back to back, a 67x67 world for 300 years.

The 64 bit world got to year 297 in 16 minutes and 4 seconds, I hit enter to stop it, it finished at 300 after about 30 more seconds, with a population of 186k hist figs.

The 32 bit world gen only got to year 286 at the 16:04 mark, and took until 18:05 to hit 300, another 2 minutes for the last 14 years, and it took a minute to go from hitting enter at 297 to actually stopped, with ~23 k less units (163k or so) to boot.
>>
File: 1111111111111.gif (2MB, 320x180px) Image search: [Google]
1111111111111.gif
2MB, 320x180px
>gorlaks can open doors
>>
>64-bit support, pulling the game from the distant past into the previous decade
oh toady
>>
File: 1449716685783.gif (156KB, 260x187px) Image search: [Google]
1449716685783.gif
156KB, 260x187px
>>147565323
>dragona and megabeasts can fit through human sized doors
>>
>>147566217
They should just barge through the narrow caverns, collapsing nearby walls to accomodate their size
>>
>>147567000
They SHOULD is the key word
>>
>>147518080
>Heresy Magic casting requires making a jew star

Yep. I figured.
>>
>>147567564
That could easily be a Sheriff’s Star, or plain star
>>
>>147567854
nice try donald
>>
>>147567854
Don't kid yourself, it's a star of david, aka jew star.
>>
>>147518080
Looks like just a coincidence
>>
>>147567854
Naw, spiders hate reptilians, so it makes sense here.

The Don only hate terrorists, illegals, and the mindbogglingly corrupt globalists that are currently in power. The difference in only about 40% of those are jews.
>>
File: saving captain rothtun.png (69KB, 1903x1043px) Image search: [Google]
saving captain rothtun.png
69KB, 1903x1043px
Avuz Rothtun was bitten in the foot by a werechameleon while defending glorious Relicwebs. He was then sent to cavern 3 and the hatch locked behind him.
I expected he would die pretty quickly, but he kind of just mills around in a hole. Even when he's transformed. Now I've decided to keep him alive as a hermit, just to see how long I can.
Lets assume I'm not going to give him a pick or axe. Pic related shows all of the available raw materials. What do you do?
There are also 8 cage traps full of crundles down there. And a cat, which has walked right by him while transformed. Neither seemed to give a fuck.
>>
>>147571378
What exactly do you do with a werebeast? They can't starve or die of thirst, they break everything, and they drop everything. They seem the ultimate That Guys.
>>
File: violent cavern.png (144KB, 1914x1042px) Image search: [Google]
violent cavern.png
144KB, 1914x1042px
>>147571805
>What exactly do you do with a werebeast?
I don't know what you do with a werebeast, I'm going to use this one to conquer cavern 3 in 39 building mats or less.
I've just realized that I have ton of skeletons down here that I could turn into a crossbow and bolts. I could kill and tan the cat to make a quiver. I can make archery targets, but they'll probably be destroyed every time he transforms. I could use the materials to make some nest boxes and a small enclosed area to be a crundle coop.
I don't know. I'm inviting brainstorming.
>>
>>147573147

He's the ultimate disposable hero, anything short of actually killing him will get healed every month, set him training and turn him into a grizzled legendary murderfucklizard.
>>
File: image.jpg (178KB, 800x609px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
178KB, 800x609px
So I fought my first Titan today, and it killed maybe 7 dwarves until I lost sight of it. The unit screen says its deceased, but I can't find the corpse. What do?
>>
>>147574459
Check combat reports, zoom to the last line for the titan's report.
>>
dem dorfs, man!
>>
>>147574459
The last combat line (prior to the very latest) says that a punch to the abdomen made the Plains Titan explode into gore. Does that mean there won't be a corpse?
There's a line after that which says the Titan latched onto another dwarf's left arm, then he started talking about death and being horrified or not being upset, which only has a single page to it
>>
>>147575490
(z)oom
>>
File: TheGoryFestival.png (53KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
TheGoryFestival.png
53KB, 1920x1080px
Finally, sited next to a packed dark fortress too.
>>
>>147578972
Do you do the poem thing to satisfy a desire and if so which one?
>>
>About to play DF
>Pokemon GO came out
sorry guys
>>
If I dig a well and get the water for it from a river that freezes, will my well dry up? This is probably an obvious yes but I wanted to see if I could save myself the gamble of digging to find a cavern with water before winter comes.
>>
>>147579429
>he doesn't play pokemon in df
lol what a gay
>>
>>147579116
I max out Merriment/Admire Art, set Excitement to a notch below cap, null the rest of my needs out, and make sure I have at least mid-range belief in a god.

Find a 1~3 line poem, say hi to god, chug some booze if you've killed enough people to pick up an alcohol problem, pow, Focused! again.
>>
File: Needless.png (252KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
Needless.png
252KB, 1920x1080px
>>147579116
The personality traits/values like these let you null it out totally, especially the pain in the ass ones like friendship/family/acquire shit/cause trouble, which you either can't fulfill, or can't keep fulfilled with any consistency.
>>
>>147577131
I found the guy who got the kill, zoomed in his event, and there's nothing there but blood splatters. Dwarf therapist doesn't list it as a notable kill either, which is pretty weird
>>
>Necro with undead army shows up
>FPS tanks a little (to be expected)
>Raise the bridge
>They just walk in a circle around the entrence
>FPS slowly steadily tanks
>FPS death

Does walling off cause FPS death during sieges or was it something else?
>>
>>147582538
It was likely the walling off. Because you cut off their path, they are continually running pathfinding algorithms, which kills your fps.

However, you said "raise the bridge". If you've set up the bridge so it raises rather than retracts, then you have a dwarven atom smasher at your disposal. Have fun.
>>
OP updated, game is at 43.05
>>
>>147579967
Huh, killing people gives nondwarves an alcohol problem?

Interesting that Excitement would be easy to fulfill.
>>
File: WhatAreYouAssholesDoingHere.png (85KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
WhatAreYouAssholesDoingHere.png
85KB, 1920x1080px
>>147583984
Enough sentient kills (or just a good deal more sentient deaths around you) and yeah, you develop an alcohol need.

I got one from all these fucking asshole yetis and zombie polar bears and bird people and yaks and shit.
>>
>>147580568
Interesting.
>>
>>147584430
Surprising.
>>
>>147476581
>>147477345
Can you also share your colours?
>>
>>147584493
>>147584869
Frustrating actually, all those fucking animal people ended up becoming histfigs while I was working on my camp in the caverns, and once I saw them I somehow learned all the shit they had done, and I am not surprised to learn that 500+ pages of rumors still lags your ass up.
>>
boomp
>>
File: 1407269078377.jpg (214KB, 940x912px) Image search: [Google]
1407269078377.jpg
214KB, 940x912px
>>
>>147588205
>and I am not surprised to learn that 500+ pages of rumors still lags your ass up.

It does? In what way?
>>
>>147592667
Every time you go to open the rumors menu it loads them all up, which is awful, and once you get up in the hundreds of pages you start to notice it updating when you move from world-tile to world-tile while on the travel map.

500 pages is shit like having a billion zombies wrestling shit they can't kill while you sit there picking your nose for days.

Or, in my case, lurk underground building shit then since it all happened on the camp you just claimed, you instantly gain all the knowledge of the nonsense crap-histfig battles over the last few weeks while you were building a thousand or two logs worth of construction/periodically going to scour the surrounding caverns for more wood.

While I was building in the caverns, late one night, my FPS did not seem right, then I caught the rumor's page rise, and finally to my surprise I saw they did the mash.

They did the monster mash.
>>
Is there like a 15x15 varient to Taffer somewhere? 10x10 is too small, 20x20 is too big and resizing the png fucks it up
>>
>>147579429
There is cages for monsters in DF you know
>>
>>147595023
Eesh. Yeah the rumors shit needs to be pared down to size.
>>
Srsly guys how is this even playable to you without DFhack search function? I would rather kill myself tham looking for something in caravan menu or dwarf in military menu.
>>
Guys how do I get a girlfriend in Dwarf Fortress?
>>
>>147598252
I've never used hack or therapist. I just assign labours and military to dwarves as they migrate and it sorts itself out. I normally limit pop to 100 though.
>>
What if out of the blue, BAM, multi threading for pathfinding.
>>
Tantrum spirals comeback when?
>>
>>147601758
When (or if) Toady nerfs all the new happiness-increasing actions.
>>
File: 1380556979514.jpg (215KB, 500x600px) Image search: [Google]
1380556979514.jpg
215KB, 500x600px
>tfw sticking with 43.03 (x86) until indirect blunt damage and armor wear are balanced
>>
>>147497350
Have you not considered that there may be entertainment value in it? Most lesiure activities are "for the sake of it" if you are gonna be like that

Just becausr people optimise some parts of the fort doesnt mean that playing optimally in all aspects is the objective, who has time for that shit
>>
>>147526464
Pretty sure workshops dont generate noise anymore so there is no downside to havinh bedrooms close
>>
>>147595023
Hmm. I've noticed random animals become asterisks on the map (I presume this is them becoming hist figs) after I "encountered" them, or in one case when I asked a snapping turtle how he was feeling.

I haven't looked any of these animals up in legends mode but I assume they become the pages upon pages of " " entries.

I'm sad because I doubt toady will tackle the rumours screen at any point soon, and if it is having that much impact on fps then it will just keep getting worse as more things are tied into it.
>>
>>147603954
That's just a really extreme and flukey case, usually it takes a while to hit 100 pages, I went instantly from 30 to 500 pages due to the camp being claimed/revealed history for me.
>>
File: 248px-Tncasterlyrockaiyw7.jpg (17KB, 248x351px) Image search: [Google]
248px-Tncasterlyrockaiyw7.jpg
17KB, 248x351px
how to generate a cliff by the sea/ocean?
>>
>>147605015
Gen a mountainlake. The mountainious parts around it often have some steep cliffs.
>>
>>147468824
Can you expand on this? Does bigger mean stronger? How do they grow. Do they remain big when they become adult.
>>
>>147602979
>not liking your clothes getting ripped to shreds every time you leave the house
It's like you've never even played any h mods for Oblivion.
>>
Is it impossible to eat sentient creatures in adventure or work with their skins/bones is fort mode? Or was that just a bug?
>>
>>147602979
There is literally nothing wrong with the armor damage.

I just wish the joint damage would be more joints breaking, and less torn skin and ligaments.
>>
>>147605749
>Oblivion
Skyrim has far better mods
>>
>>147605214
>Does bigger mean stronger?

Not in terms of the strength attribute per se (which measures how strong you are *for your size*), but in the general sense of size, yes.

>How do they grow. Do they remain big when they become adult.

I'm not exactly sure what causes it. One theory is that the size of the children depends on that of the adults -- the tall/broad modifiers, like other genetics, seems to carry through. As long term fort denizens get fat as fuck, this carries over to the babies.

>Do they remain big
Yes.

tl;dr str train yo kids and you can get monstrously large second gen dwarves
>>
File: die.jpg (56KB, 358x429px) Image search: [Google]
die.jpg
56KB, 358x429px
>I just wish the joint damage would be more joints breaking, and less torn skin and ligaments.

I can't enjoy adventure mode because of this.
>You stab guy in the neck, tearing the muscles!
>You stab guy in the neck,bruising the bone!
>You stab guy in the neck, tearing the muscles!
>You stab guy in the neck, tearing the fat!
>Your weapon gets stuck in the guys neck
>The guy bites your left foot
>You punch the guy in the head bruising the fat!
>You punch the guy in the head
>The guy punches you in on the right arm
>You punch the guy in the neck
>You punch the guy in the neckbruising the fat!
>The guy tries to kick you but misses
>The guy charges you but misses
>The guy passes out from exhaustion
>The guy has been struck down
>>
>>147606647
Meh, I love ripping people up.

>punch a guy in the neck, tearing it open
>>
>>147606769
When I put a sword through a guys neck, i don't want him to get back up and proceed to fist fight me for another 20 turns. My autism demands some semblance of realism.
>>
>>147606647
So hammers and maces > swords now?
>>
>>147606647
I was hoping that the different "methods" of attack like wild/heavy/precise would actively increase the chances of a blow doing what it's supposed to do. It's kind of annoying how a dude can be prone and unconscious and it still takes like seventeen blows to the head to kill him.
>>
Experienced DF player but noob modder here. If I want to have an interaction that inflicts a syndrome, should I define the syndrome in the interaction itself or under the creature's CDI?
>>
>>147606647
I'm still not having this problem. Are you sure your adventurer isn't weak as fuck?
>>
>>147607154
not really, they just work as intended now.
Swords for chopping limbs and undarmed creatures. Hammers for crushing the bones of armored undead. Spears for everything else.
>>
>>147607297
Dwarf deity with most points in combat.
I know you don't have that problem with intentionally OP stuff like elephant men but with the standard races combat is always like that.
>>
>>147607020
Am fairly confused, I haven't seen low lethality at all. I remove limbs from night trolls rather easily even on newbie adventurers with iron swords, I'd love to see how devastating divine/adamantine armed experienced adventurers are.
>>
>>147607373
I was having no trouble killing human bandits with a size 35000 beastman (fyi, derfs are size 60000) with above average strength and novice weapon skill. So... I have no idea what the problem was.
>>
>>147607373
List your precise attributes please.

Is this your first encounter with the post .34 combat? Because I noticed that depending on how good the hit was, hits were often muted.
>>
>>147607158
>nd it still takes like seventeen blows to the head to kill him.
Do keep in mind the amount of time each turn is. If it's like 5 seconds for each blow it can obviously take some time to kill an armored target, depending on luck
>>
>>147607880
I will with a combat log tomorrow. To tired right now. Goodnight /dfg/
>>
>>147608351
Could you at least tell me if you had low stats in focus, intuition, kinesthetic sense, spatial sense or agility?
>>
Just threw a goblin into myself, flew into a wall and exploded. Great game notch.
>>
>>147608570

Absolutely amazing.
>>
>looking for a playable adventurer race
>monitor lizard men are among the bigger beastmen
>gonna use that size advantage
>start adventuring with a lizard man
>just rip and tear through anything that comes my way
>after slaughtering the local fauna I travel to a jungle
>spot a monitor lizard chilling nearby
>its you or me, cuz
>attack it
>get rekt so hard I almost cry with frustration
>turns out lizard man and monitor lizard man are 2 different things
>tfw I was half the size of a dorf the whole time
>acting as if I was bigger than a human

Now I only roll saltwater crocs
>>
>>147609540
Anyone get large beastmen? As in beastmen large for their kind of beastman.

I can get large sized civilized races but never large beastmen.
>>
>>147609629
Once or twice.

But always bullshit like jaguar man or albatross man.

>tfw no oversized elephant man
>>
I've been playing with square ascii and custom colours since after I got to grips with the game. But are there any nice tilesets that feel "in keeping" with the ascii? Preferably something that responds well to custom colours.
>>
>>147612104
almost all of them.
Here are all relevant links:
http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/Tileset_repository
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?board=28.0

Color schemes have nothing to do with it at all. They're entirely independent.
You're looking for an ASCII-like tileset, so it's gonna be all white with maybe a little shading here and there.

I suggest Taffer, Myne and anniki for almost "pure-ASCII", and Wanderlust Duerer or CLA for a bit more "flavor".
>>
File: VorpalSquare.png (11KB, 384x384px) Image search: [Google]
VorpalSquare.png
11KB, 384x384px
>>147608570
I want to see this drawn.

>>147607238
Yes, define the interaction and any syndrome cdi's it grants, plus a different block for the syndrome itself in the interaction_whatever.txt file.

>>147612104
>>147612470
Square (unfortunately) ascii with a bit of shading?
>>
>>147612470
CLA looks good but I don't like the creatures so much actually. Is Myne the base or something?
>>
>>147612927
You can disable the creatures easily. Myne is the base. Of which Haowan is the base. Which in turn is an exact copy of the default square tileset minus the resizing artifacts in 18x18 tiles.
>>
File: CursesSquare.png (10KB, 384x384px) Image search: [Google]
CursesSquare.png
10KB, 384x384px
>>147613034
Which is also similar to the cleaner 24x24 rescale that I made the vorpalsquare set from, except I stole the neat raving maniac walls for it, here it is without the translucent ground stuff.
>>
File: fun.png (13KB, 611x508px) Image search: [Google]
fun.png
13KB, 611x508px
>A caravan from Ordirrovod has arrived.
>Their wagons have bypassed your inaccessible site

Nice game nerds
>>
File: Myne.png (261KB, 1366x728px) Image search: [Google]
Myne.png
261KB, 1366x728px
>>147613034
Thanks, I think I've got something I like
>>
File: Taffer4chan.png (11KB, 320x320px) Image search: [Google]
Taffer4chan.png
11KB, 320x320px
>>147613409
Worth checking out the newer Taffer tilesets too, and here's the /dfg/ one though it's a bit older, it's got a nice style to it.
>>
File: myne2.png (306KB, 1366x728px) Image search: [Google]
myne2.png
306KB, 1366x728px
>>147613409
Yeah, I like this. I'll just mess around with colours now.
>>
>>147613397
Make sure that there is a path leading from the depot to the edge of the map. There might be some trees or something blocking the way.
>>
Is there any way to make an interaction that emits undirected fire? If yes, how?
>>
>>147614646
Like dragonfire or just a big blast?

Copy the breath attack from the dragon raw itself for the first one, the second... maybe TRAILING_GAS_FLOW?
>>
>>147614881
Big blast. I want to use it, preferable in combination with undirected dust, to create elven suicide bombers. Is this possible?
>>
Is 43.05 bugged? I have 3 farmers unable to construct farms, no one is gathering plants and no one is fishing. Kitchen is unconstructed. So is fishery and butchery and all that shit. Even the goddamn fucking stills are unfinished.

Now my whole fortress is starving.
>>
File: great toad.png (16KB, 344x496px) Image search: [Google]
great toad.png
16KB, 344x496px
>>147615415
it a feature :^)
>>
So I've been using the weirdness where setting it so the world has a magma sea (magma layer: yes in advanced world gen) and no hell (bottom layer which forces magma: no) makes volcano tubes load weirdly, usually they're drained way down below the surface level, almost always exposed to the caverns, and thus present an interesting opportunity to try and build shit before the magma fills in around it, right?

Well, one of the tricks is, if a volcano is full and you wish it wasn't, head northwest from it a couple world tiles, then walk back on foot heading southeast, it will be drained/open to the caverns.

If you do certain things near the spot where it would spawn, like wait, cut a tree, or whatnot, sometimes it makes the tube show up again and trap you.

Sometimes though, it makes the tube reappear but it only goes up part way into the caverns.

When I got to this spot the water was pouring into the magma down at the magma flows and whatnot.

I tried to wait a tick to reset the fluids and it teleported me up to the top, so I went down and the tube is there now, but the caverns are still exposed to the surface.

>>147614972
Use an undirected dust attack and have the material [SPEC_HEAT:12000] or higher.

I discovered when I didn't fix the spec heat on my dorf properly, that since they're literally just the dragon entry with dwarf body layout/whatnot, that my tears were hot enough to melt my helmet off and my spit starts fires.

I fixed the tears thing, kept the firespit because it's the best assassination tool ever, doesn't start fights, doesn't get you a bad name, just winds up with one person burning to death while everyone stands around watching.
>>
File: WatchMeMakeThisVolcanoDISAPPEAR.png (75KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
WatchMeMakeThisVolcanoDISAPPEAR.png
75KB, 1920x1080px
>>147615624
>magic
>tada
>>
>>147615495
>>147615415

I started a new fort and now they won't even chop trees or mine. The only they can do is kill.

I am waiting until the next update. Shit.
>>
>>147601758
Tantrums will be back someday, whenever Toady looks at inebriation and balances it. Tantrum spirals will probably not be. They were never an intended loss mechanic. They were an emergent behavior caused by an emotion system that was too sensitive to some kinds of input. The thoughts rewrite in .40 fixed it, and then inebriation in .42 broke it again in the other direction.
>>
>>147616590
But tantrums are in already. In 0.42, I had a stressed out former militia dorf who would have tantrums where she pulped someone's head at least once a month.
>>
File: FUNNN.png (19KB, 1343x1007px) Image search: [Google]
FUNNN.png
19KB, 1343x1007px
>>147613963
Entire surface layer is inaccessible. There are trees but they are far enough apart that a wagon should be able to drive between them. Do shrubs and other plants also block wagon access by any chance?
>>
>>147617107
You just showed me depot, where the ground was green. Now you're showing me what's supposedly the suface, which is not green. There must be some sort of disconnection between the two.

Why don't you follow the green paths towards the edge, and try to find where the disconnection is? It might just be a boulder or something blocking your entrance(in which case you should just smooth it over). Also remember that wagons can't use stairs.
>>
>>147616963
If you've seen a tantrum in .42 you're in the minority. Though I've seen a few other reports of people getting them, it was always on purpose.
>>
>>147617568
In my case, it was accidental. I had fucked up by picking someone who hated working outdoors for militia duty(despite the militia permanently trained outdoors to avoid cave adaption). In combination with missing her family back home and that bug that kept militias from praying, this led her to tantrum constantly.
>>
>The Goblin Outpost Liason has arrived
W-what
>>
>>147617568
I got tantrum after failed mood.
>>
>>147618602
You should have seen that you were at peace when you embarked.
>>
>>147619013
It's the outpost liason from my own civ, except it's a gobbo
>>
File: 1450472910497.jpg (41KB, 220x261px) Image search: [Google]
1450472910497.jpg
41KB, 220x261px
>>147618602
KILL HIM
HE IS A SPY
>>
File: revelation.png (17KB, 247x239px) Image search: [Google]
revelation.png
17KB, 247x239px
>>147461718
So i just realised that the 64-bit version is out, does this mean it's possible to play bigger embarks than before?
>>
>>147618626
That's not a tantrum. That's insanity. Tantrums end, and the dwarf gets on normally with their duties (or goes to jail or gets beaten, depending on how bad the tantrum was).
>>
>>147619090
Well maybe, all weve noticed from 64 bit is that it can handle a heavier load on the fps
>>
>>147619090
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jAqSgsC3ChM&feature=youtu.be
>>
>>147619195
>it can handle a heavier load on the fps
I copyed my fortress to new version and got +1 fps.
>>
>>147619013
Goblins don't have outpost liaisons, and it's impossible for a nonsnatcher civ to be at peace with goblins.

>>147619195
I haven't seen any change in fps at all. All I've seen is faster worldgen, better results genning older worlds, and the ability to embark on very large sites (with very low fps to match).
>>
>>147619064
Gobbos can become members of your civ now.
>>
>>147619860
I guess I was sort of aware, but you'd reckon you wouldn't have a member of a race you're at war with in a political position.
>>
File: 1448838716754.gif (1MB, 500x298px) Image search: [Google]
1448838716754.gif
1MB, 500x298px
>>147619676
Amazing! I'm literally crying so hard that is difficult for me to clap at the same time.
>>
>>147619817
>Goblins don't have outpost liaisons

They do if you mod it in. :^)
>>
>>147620270
If he had modded goblins to have outpost liaisons he wouldn't be surprised to have one show up, would he?
He would also have to be playing as goblins in that case, as outpost liaisons aren't diplomats, they don't visit foreign civs. They visit outposts in their home civ.
>>
File: 124c2121x1.png (30KB, 1746x57px) Image search: [Google]
124c2121x1.png
30KB, 1746x57px
>>
>>147620720
L-lewd
>>
>>147605179
but i need sea or ocean
this is due to the mod in which I play
>>
>>147613895
tileset?
>>
File: Myne.png (13KB, 288x288px) Image search: [Google]
Myne.png
13KB, 288x288px
>>147623591
pic related and I'm using "warm" from the vherid colour set.
>>
>>147605179
>>147623341
Find a mountain biome adjacent to an ocean. That's all there is to it.
>>
File: SemiMoltenMyAss.png (49KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
SemiMoltenMyAss.png
49KB, 1920x1080px
>>147624361
You can also paint volcanism 100 spots beside/in low elevation areas which should end up becoming oceans.
>>
File: TheyAllHaveBooksOrInstruments.png (50KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
TheyAllHaveBooksOrInstruments.png
50KB, 1920x1080px
>>147625971
>head out to find the last few necro slabs to complete my collection
>see asterisk in a hamlet
>multiple weapon lords
>everything but elves
>almost every one has an instrument or a book
>is this a mugging or a marching band?
>>
>>147625971
>semi molten rock
Lick it :^)
>>
So what's 64bit DF like?
>>
>>147628538
It's like 32bit DF.
>>
>>147625971
I've never tried that before. Why would 100 volcanism default it to an ocean? Most oceans have a sedimentary layer, which would be excluded by 100 volcanism.
>>
>>147624361
it harder than it looks, but now I use Perfect world and it has now become easier
>>
File: WhyAreWeAllies.png (97KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
WhyAreWeAllies.png
97KB, 1920x1080px
>>147629753
I mean have a low elevation region with a spot of 100 volcanism to get a spike of high elevation and cliffs.

>>147627167
Let me get to know it a bit better first.
>>
File: 1428331375131.png (283KB, 546x432px) Image search: [Google]
1428331375131.png
283KB, 546x432px
>Like elves
>Elves are fags in df
Is this what cuckolds feel like
>>
>>147632549
Just play an elf that lives in a human civ
>>
You guys know any good alternate races for fort mode? Any that change the way you think about how you do normal stuff?
>>
>>147633748
Masterwork lets you play as Humans, Kobolds, Orcs, and Succubi in fort mode, all with different styles. Humans is crafting workshops out the ass and diplomacy, along with being able to recruit different species easier and use some of their stuff. Orcs is basically all military all the time. Kobolds is ur gonna die kiddo. Succubi are all about making everything pretty and converting captured prisoners into demons.
>>
>>147630050
It's really not once you get a parameter set that works well. I play pretty much exclusively on sheer cliffs.
The image in the OP is my current embark. The cliffs are 93z tall at the highest point before sloping starts. I can gen small worlds with 10-15 lake sites per world like that, and dozens of oceans, though not usually with a volcano under the lake.
>>
File: GenevaCalling.png (103KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
GenevaCalling.png
103KB, 1920x1080px
>>147632549
>>
>>147634021
Succubi and kobold sounds good. Anything I should keep in mind for them? Do I NEED masterwork for those mods? Are their any stand alones?

Also, are their any silly ones? Like from game series or something?
>>
File: no thanks.jpg (14KB, 640x360px) Image search: [Google]
no thanks.jpg
14KB, 640x360px
>>147634021
>Masterwork
>>
File: Girls laughing.png (490KB, 449x401px) Image search: [Google]
Girls laughing.png
490KB, 449x401px
>>147634021
>mastershit
>>
>>147634413
>>147634558

Why is masterwork bad?
>>
File: meph visits lebanon.jpg (315KB, 1000x750px) Image search: [Google]
meph visits lebanon.jpg
315KB, 1000x750px
>>147634680
masterwork is just bad, okay? no need to go all defensive and shit
>>
>>147634827
Im asking cause im halfway through the masterwork download right now. Does it change something? what gives?
>>
>>147634393
Succubi is standalone, Kobolds I dunno. Kobolds are also weak as shit. Succubi are easier to keep happy but if a child dies gg.

>>147634680
>>147634968
People don't like it because the author accepts donations for his work. Has a patreon and everything. Some believe he is somehow 'stealing' donations from Toady. But if that's your problem just don't donate.
>>
>>147634393
The guy who made genesis (which was also a pretty good mod for extra playable races) did a fallout mod.
>>
>>147635137
Not only does he take donations for his mods, he also takes them to go on expensive, full-time vacations all around the world. When his gear got stolen in Lebanon, he begged the Masterwork fans to compensate him.
>>
File: 1464329830103.png (115KB, 276x230px) Image search: [Google]
1464329830103.png
115KB, 276x230px
>>147634968
There isn't really anything wrong with masterwork, it's just that there isn't much to shitpost about in these threads so being purposefully contrarian towards popular mods, tilesets and just about anything that is optional in this ultimately singleplayer game is the next best thing for /v/ kiddies who cannot contribute anything else and grow bored if shit isn't stirred up all the time.
>>
>>147635454
Oh yeah I forgot about that. But hey, if you don't like him, just don't donate. The mod itself is okay and playing an incubus trap in adventure mod tickles my boner.
>>
>>147635506
Masterwork, subjectively, has a lot of shitty features that are considered bloat by many.
>>
>>147635932
You can disable a lot of them tho
>>
>>147635137
>>147634680
>People don't like it because
People don't like it because it's a catch all collection of mods that are jammed into a bundle of stuff just for the sake of stuff. If you want muskets and workshops that make tame forgotten beasts and domesticated crabs that shit flux stone and a half million other thematically unrelated elements thrown together, then that's your business. But many of us think that's a textbook definition of bloat, and is generally an awful design strategy for modding a game with a very deliberately crafted design philosophy. You're hardly even playing DF anymore.
The fact that meph begs donations off his players to be on perpetual vacation is why some people dislike him. It has nothing to do with the quality of masterwork.
>>
>>147636240
I won't disagree with you there. But I've never particularly cared about if I was playing DF or not. I just want a huge and diverse fantasy world with lots of things to do in it. That's just my opinion though.

But yeah Meph himself is a dick. So I don't pay him for his work.
>>
>>147461718
I want to get into Dwarf Fortress but I want to go in completely blind. Is this a good idea or should I look basic things up before I play?
>>
File: RapidAdvancementViaDragon.png (49KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
RapidAdvancementViaDragon.png
49KB, 1920x1080px
>>147638004
It's fun in a "oh god what the hell why is that d on fire? is that a dog? who set the dog on fire? how do I into booze?" sort of way.
>>
>>147638004
Going in blind basically means you're not gonna understand a single fucking thing
>>
>>147638004
I think it's best to go in blind with the wiki on hand. There are basic control guides within the game itself, but popping out to the wiki for more information while exploring the game itself offers the best experience. That way you don't go in already knowing everything, and you're able to learn while getting a feeling of exploration.
>>
>>147638004
You should at least start out following the quickstart guide on the wiki, unless the idea of fumbling around in dozens of menus with inconsistent control schemes and unintuitive naming sounds appealing to you. You should at least go in with some idea of what the controls are and why you might want to use any of them. The combination of an obtuse interface and no clear goal makes just diving in blind and figuring it out difficult at the very least, and ultimately pointless.
>>
File: IconGuide.png (106KB, 1906x1640px) Image search: [Google]
IconGuide.png
106KB, 1906x1640px
>>147638004
>>
What good porn mods are there for Dorf Fort?
>>
>>147640796
Wasn't there some really controversial goblin rapemod?
>>
File: chiyo_wha.jpg (18KB, 193x255px) Image search: [Google]
chiyo_wha.jpg
18KB, 193x255px
>>147635506
>he honestly legitimately believes this to be true
Holy shit you are delusional.
>>
File: 241121d12d.png (533KB, 1920x1030px) Image search: [Google]
241121d12d.png
533KB, 1920x1030px
Slaughtering in sinister map was a mistake.
>>
>>147640890

I mean I guess. But that sounds pretty niche. I'm looking for something that would work across the board.
>>
>>147641046
>bearded husky little people furiously beating the shit out of mysteriously mobile clumps of wool

Why is this so amusing?
>>
>>147640935
Heres a (you)
>>
>>147640796
I think there was a mod that added the ability for anything capable to puncture,lick, strangle and squeeze parts with other parts. And also added in lewd bits and test monsters (tentacle, incubi,hell hound) that would specifically make the thing they were attacking faint from exhaustion and leak essence (color dependant on what was involved). Just search for nsfw df mods and you should find it.
>>
>>147640890
>>147641210
You're probably thinking of the Obok Meatgod story. I've never heard of any controversial goblin rapemod, or even seen such a thing mentioned in /dfg/ before now.
>>
>>147640796

If I could mod (or write) I'd have like Corruption of Champions style text walls that happen when your dude faints.
>>
File: 1401794655953.jpg (36KB, 625x349px) Image search: [Google]
1401794655953.jpg
36KB, 625x349px
>>147641046
What the fuck
1 dward died and became zmbie.
Then killed another
And now i lowt 20 citizens.
Because of fucking wool.
>>
Dwarf fortress android app when
>>
>>147642782
23 april 2075
>>
>>147641046
>>147642313

Use DFHack to eliminate animated clumps of wool and various other bits and pieces. They're impossible to get rid of otherwise.
>>
>>147642313
>whole fortress fighting zombies for month
>uris taken by fey mood!
>>
File: drawbridge.jpg (119KB, 720x720px) Image search: [Google]
drawbridge.jpg
119KB, 720x720px
>>147642313
>>
File: elusive toad3.png (96KB, 200x210px) Image search: [Google]
elusive toad3.png
96KB, 200x210px
>>147643639
>uris
>>
File: game discussion(pls sticky).png (26KB, 953x610px) Image search: [Google]
game discussion(pls sticky).png
26KB, 953x610px
Holy kek.
>>
>>147646724
Wow, look at all those old fucks that are in denial
>>
>>147646724
Not surprised with all the bronies
>>
File: no no no.gif (2MB, 319x264px) Image search: [Google]
no no no.gif
2MB, 319x264px
>started leveling blacksmithing by making tons of lead buckets cause lots of galena on map
>now want to get a legendary soapmaker for fun
>mfw it takes him forever to haul the lye in the lead buckets
>>
File: DwarfFortressGoblinFortress.gif (37KB, 940x926px) Image search: [Google]
DwarfFortressGoblinFortress.gif
37KB, 940x926px
>>147640890
>Wasn't there some really controversial goblin rapemod?
Goblin Fortress for some ancient version.
Long dead now.

Spawned a long chain of drawfagging like image-related. Everything i had saved basically died on my previous computer
>>
>>147651186
>like image-related
truely, hilarious threads that tried to out-do one another until >>147641785 >Obok Meatgod and then it was like "nope, that's enough of that"
>>
What's the exhaustive way to stop magma monsters from getting into my magma conduit? Bars?
>>
>>147651393
>image
hahahaha
>>
>>147605818
You need to change the ethics. I know I've made goblin roasts before
>>
>>147652681
Water
>>
>>147653229
No the new update broke eating anything with the [can learn] tag. Gotta wait to fix it.
>>
A child just got bitten by a warebeast. How do I isolate him?
>>
>>147653375
Burrow -> assign him to burrow -> use door to lock
>>
>>147653497
He's playing make believe...
>>
>>147654072
Just look up the transformation dates on the wiki. Then wait until one or two days before he turns, and then station some soldiers where he currently is. Make sure to move the station if the kid moves. If he doesn't turn on the transformation date, he's safe.
>>
>>147651186
>>147651393
That wasn't a mod, it was a DF clone called goblin camp made by a guy from (I think) something awful. I've never known those images to pertain to goblin camp, but they're older than /dfg/ so they might. There's nothing in the images to suggest that they're about goblin camp and not df, though.
Regardless, whatever else goblin camp may have been, it certainly wasn't a "controversial goblin rape mod".
>>
>>147653365
>>147653229
You've never been able eat sentients in fort mode except by modding or one buggy edge case with reclaiming forts. In adv mode, you couldn't in any version through .34.11, then you could all through .40, and then you couldn't again in .42. Someone asked Toady about it in a FotF and he didn't know it had ever been changed and seemed to not know what the default behavior was supposed to be. Don't worry, he'll probably accidentally break it again back in the other direction for the next update.
>>
File: elusive toad.gif (2MB, 226x227px) Image search: [Google]
elusive toad.gif
2MB, 226x227px
>when the very two first demon kinds to enter your fort from the underworld are web and dust users, repectively
>>
>>147651186
>>147651393
Weaver was too good for this world.
>>
>>147643560
>>147642313
I like the idea of modding the game so it checks fit for resurrection, not fit for animation. I like my zombies having torsos.

>>147642236
Nothing like that is remotely possible.
>>
>>147637718
What'd he do?

He's always helped me whenever I asked.
>>
>>147632549
Being an elf doesn't require you to be mad at people for using wood, or require you to eschew metal, at all
>>
Jesus fucking christ, Why do I always die from some fucking mofo breaking my upper spine´s nervouse tissue?
Its not even funny, and it happens every fucking time, fuck
>>
>>147657283
Play more big guys.
>>
>>147656054
>Nothing like that is remotely possible.
You might be able to mod in some kind of on-death interaction that gives you a wall of text.
>You are caught in a cloud of dicks!
>The goblin pikeman is caught in a cloud of dicks!
>You are caught in burst of dicks!
>Goblin pikeman is caught in a burst of dicks!
>[MORE]
>You are deceased.

That's probably as close as you could get, though.
>>
>>147652681
Build a floodgate right at the source of your magma. Open when you need the magma, then close.

In case of magma forges/smelters, channel only one tile to the magma and build the impassable tile on top of said channel.

If you need a constant stream of magma, no idea. Bars maybe?
>>
File: 1464009501784.jpg (258KB, 683x1024px) Image search: [Google]
1464009501784.jpg
258KB, 683x1024px
>>147657940
>you are caught in a cloud of boiling dicks
>you are melting
>>
>>147657940
The closest is probably bleeding type effects (or an organ that ruptures) doing it.

Don't really want to know what organ that'd be
>>
>>147658204
Floodgates and bars can both be destroyed by building destroyers. Fortifications are passable when fully submerged (probably a bug). Raising bridges are the only 100% safe route, but if you need constant throughput you're out of luck. You just have to assume some risk.
>>
File: Elder God.png (19KB, 1555x149px) Image search: [Google]
Elder God.png
19KB, 1555x149px
Uh...what is this?
>>
>>147659003
Try biting it.
>>
>>147652681
Channel into the magma from above and build a pump, put a grate over the pump input tile. Building destroyers can't destroy buildings on the z-level above themselves but magma can be pulled up freely through the grate by the pump.
>>
>>147659003
>>147659919
kek
>>
So in the 64 bit version does FPS take much longer to tank as your fort grows?
>>
>>147662275
twice the bits means twice the performance :^)
>>
>>147662275
Its very fast.

On the other hand, can't fucking find ANYTHING in Gobbo Forts and Mountainhomes without DFHack
>>
File: shiggy caption.png (312KB, 719x583px) Image search: [Google]
shiggy caption.png
312KB, 719x583px
>>
What is the best mod for a D&D feel?

So really just a mod that adds magic and that makes elves use something besides wood weapons.
>>
>>147667691
the warhammer mod, probably

there should be a warhammer mod
>>
File: 1467847563883a.jpg (55KB, 719x583px) Image search: [Google]
1467847563883a.jpg
55KB, 719x583px
>>147665871
One Job©
>>
>>147668214
http://dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=11793
>>
File: evolution of df.png (867KB, 2048x1536px) Image search: [Google]
evolution of df.png
867KB, 2048x1536px
>>147669030
>it's for some several months old stone age version
>>
>>147669030
>tfw no tileset
>>
File: image.png (5KB, 168x196px) Image search: [Google]
image.png
5KB, 168x196px
>Load up old fort
>population of 212
>40 crundle roaming freely inside
>2 werelizards fighting a salt water crocodile in my dining hall
>baroness is in a room without doors but enough food to last months
>have stockpile of over 300 salt water crocodile egg

What was I doin
>>
>>147669270
40 crundle and 2 werelizards sound a bit exaggerated. Would have fooled me if it wasn't for that.

You seem to be more knowledgable about the game than 99% of the "started up old fort"-posters.
>>
>>147667691

>Masterwork
adds a bit of life to elves, gives them mithril, and any mod that includes a wide range of secrets can work. Then you write them in books and put them in the library and bam your society knows em.
>>
>>147669584
>start up old fort
>forgotten beast "147669584, Devourer of Tales has awoken" and is ransacking my carvings
>>
File: image.jpg (56KB, 537x820px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
56KB, 537x820px
>new fort
>start digging slopes immediately in the face of a mountain
>15 zlevels in and I hit a cave
>it's about half water, maybe quarter of a 3x3 embark
>giant toad outta left field
>9 wrestlers and an axedwarf take this thing on for like 10 minutes
>migger wave comes during the fight
>within minutes have 12 legendary observers
>dig deeper, find another toad
>everyone else is now maxed out observing, including about 5 more migs
>before I can create a forge, a third giant toad is interrupting my dorfs
>whole fort on lockdown and observant as fuck

Do giant toads just do like no damage or something?
>>
>>147672107
Toads have little means of attack.
>>
>>147669584

Crundles come in large groups and werelizards replicate by biting, doesn't seem improbable to me.
>>
>>147672107
is that a dead verrsion of himself on the floor behinbd him
>>
>>147638004
It's fun if you don't mind losing a bunch while you learn the game, but you're going to be really confused if you don't at least take a glance at the quickstart guides on the wiki.
>>
>>147669584
Yeah that sounds like a normal fort.
>>
Requesting fort design ideas and goals
>>
What kind of embarks do you prefer, /dfg/?

>mountain
>untamed
>flux stone, shallow metals, no aquifier
>river optional
>>
Noob here. Whats better for embarking:
A dwarf with 5 weapon skill, or with 5 fighting skill?
>>
>>147676210
I like my embarks like I like my females

Cold, flat, and covered with zombie dust
>>
>>147676280
Weapon skill.
>>
>>147676210
Wow, talk about easy modo
>>
>>147676280
5 armor skill and 5 teaching skill
>>
>>147676354
Follow up question:
Armor skill, shield, or dodge?
>>
>>147676486
I usually get them a bit of all. If you're going to equip them with armor at the beginning, they need it. Else they'll be moving too slow.

They need dodge otherwise they might die too early. And same for the shield.
>>
>>147676486
Armor. Full leather armor is easy to get and effective, but the skill is hard to train and it can weigh them down.
>>
File: RunningUpTheYears.png (93KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
RunningUpTheYears.png
93KB, 1920x1080px
>>147676314
Mah digga.
>>
>>147585869
>>
Would a 100% blind LP of dorf fort be watchable? Thinking of making my buddy play so I can watch a newbie learn. May record
>>
File: region3-00410-01-01-world_map.png (256KB, 1560x2340px) Image search: [Google]
region3-00410-01-01-world_map.png
256KB, 1560x2340px
>>147679076
That could be funny, yeah.
>>
>>147679486
Dammit, the little worlds are neat but they run the problem of needing unimportant histfigs to bump up pops, and they tend to spam rumors fast, lagging it up like hell.
>>
File: So many to choose from.png (111KB, 1280x963px) Image search: [Google]
So many to choose from.png
111KB, 1280x963px
>>147461718
Alright this is going to be my first attempt to play this game right. I was looking at some of the 44718 historical figures of this world, and who do you guys think looks the most interesting?
>>
>>147681230
>needing unimportant histfigs to bump up pops

What? Can you explain?
>>
>>147681474
I'd have to browse it in legends mode for awhile to find out
>>
File: Thudu.png (25KB, 1280x958px) Image search: [Google]
Thudu.png
25KB, 1280x958px
>>147681707
Here's the first Hydra for ya. She's rather disappointing.
>>
>>147681491
Cull Unimportant Historical Figures reduces lag by cutting them out during world-gen and seems to make them show up later less easily.

Having it off means you've got lots of animals that just happened to be around you while you tried to say something and accidentally shouted or whatever.
>>
>>147681474
Doing more checking and I am confused. For example Tobot seems more interested in making settlements than killing people. It's only killed 14 people, one being a Kobold that got his nose broken, has a record of being defeated and leaving his foes unscathed, and has at least 150+ enemies. I'm confused that he hasn't killed more people to earn that many enemies.
>>
File: image.jpg (62KB, 630x497px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
62KB, 630x497px
>blacksmith enters strange mood
>makes nickel bucket
>>
>>147684067
Hey man you can never have enough buckets
>>
>>147684162
Why the fuck is this? Why am I always out of buckets holy shit? I made like 20
>>
>>147684067
The blacksmith was in a strange mood, and maybe he's confused about why it turned out to be a bucket?
>>
>Adventure mode
>Urist Strongchad and his band of Lizardmen enter an elf town
>spot she elf
>by armok the ass on this wench
>go up to her
>I RECENTLY LASHED A KEA IN HALF
>bitch scoffs at me
>'it was inevitable' she says with the ishygddt look
>I'm taken aback
>not one turns down a Strongchad's advances
>no one
>fill empty waterskin with Kea blood
>THIRSTY?
>she actually drinks it
>she vomits, starts crying
>grab her upper torso with left hand
>lower back with right hand
>can't figure out how to kiss so I grab her face with my teeth
>'You bite the Elf's lips and the severed part flies off in an arc!'
>she collapses and bleeds out
>my lizardmen vomiting too
>nearby elves saw it happen and are staring
>wrestle/make love to her corpse

Dumb bitch. Sex mod when?
>>
>>147684697
Urist, you have no hope but to murder all of the elves now. You and your band of Lizardmen have to share in the guilt.
>>
>>147684697
Pretty sure you're the dumb bitch here.
>>
>>147684697
I lost it at the I RECENTLY LASHED A KEA IN HALF bit.
>>
Why are a lot of Hydras associated with strength, rebirth, and muck?
>>
>>147676210
Sheer cliffs. 50z or better. Everything else is negotiable.
>>
>>147685108
[SPHERE:MUCK]
[SPHERE:REBIRTH]
[SPHERE:STRENGTH]
>>
>>147685108
They're strong, and the hydra of greek myth regenerated heads and lived in a swamp. Strength, rebirth and muck.
>>
>>147684862
I'm a legendary lasher. Everyone is dead anon. And I raped their corpses while my lizardmen vomited and cried.
>>
>>147685890
I didn't think like that, Anon.
>>147686049
You're making the God of Blood proud, Anon.
>>
>Vathinìthari Cona, "The Sinful Lust of Holes", forgotten beast
>>
File: image.png (229KB, 1200x807px) Image search: [Google]
image.png
229KB, 1200x807px
So some of my dwarves drowned. Is there a way I can get to their corpses so they stop haunting me?
>>
>>147688116
Engrave a slab. That'll get rid of the ghosts.
>>
>>147688116
If you can't get to a corpse, make a slab.
>>
>>147688116
Slab or drain the river until you remove the corpse.
>>
>>147688339
>go to engrave a slab for the river
>it's name is Martha
>WHY DO YOU KEEP SAYING THAT NAME
>>
>>147682915
...huh, how does that make lots of animals just randomly appear around you though?
>>
>>147689180
go back to /tv/
>>
Rocs seem to be the bane of civilizations according to Legends. Also what is the most foreboding names you've seen?
>Dangerslaughter the Ferocious Hell
>Society of Disembowelment
>>
Beyond.

Quality.
>>
>>147691021
The Seduction of Holes is the best so far bar none, a goblin R9K/wizardchan alliance
>>
File: Taffer15x15.png (17KB, 240x240px) Image search: [Google]
Taffer15x15.png
17KB, 240x240px
Someone mentioned wishing Taffer had a 15x15 variant.

I had a 30x30 that I had cleaned a little and tried to convert it into a 15x15, think it turned out decent but I'm not as good with small pixel counts and whatnot.

>>147689841
Never even been there, just popped in my head for some reason.

>>147689778
I think it makes it so the conditions for becoming a histfig are lower, or maybe keeps the cap from being hit as easily, and any time a local population creature is promoted into a histfig you can have more wild population critters replace them/get promoted/etc.
>>
>>147692395
I just laugh at these names and the thought of the people who thought they were a good idea. I wonder the Seduction of Holes got their name.
>>
File: §§§§§§§§§.png (57KB, 685x436px) Image search: [Google]
§§§§§§§§§.png
57KB, 685x436px
>>
>>147694432
>Hickory dickory blurrggh
>The mouse blurrgghhh
>Uh... then something fell blurgggh
>...and uh... Jill did something with blurggggh
>>
File: a.baa-Laughing-Horse.jpg (64KB, 600x516px) Image search: [Google]
a.baa-Laughing-Horse.jpg
64KB, 600x516px
>>147694432
Nigga that's hilarious
>>
>>147694754
Thanks but i'm not black
>>
>>147678875
I think the color scheme is dark sand.
>>
>>147694432
Ah, that explains the filename .........
>>
File: basically.png (2KB, 633x40px) Image search: [Google]
basically.png
2KB, 633x40px
>>147695261
Yes, thanks!
>>
>>147695253
You're welcome, but if you'd like you can be honorary black.
>>
>>147694432
It wasn't until I checked the forums that I found out that this was legit Ninedot material. Neat.
>>
>>147683841
2bh I could never become interested in the default legends view. It took the better navigation of Legends Viewer to draw my interest.
There are a lot of fairly generic entries, I tend to always spend a minute t familiarise myself with the civs, their leaders, and any areas I think look cool.

>>147684280
>dorf looks for nearest empty bucket for job
>does job
>repeats

>buckets with a spatter of water at the bottom count as contaminated.

And an artifact bucket is good. Stick it on a well and reap the benefits of many happy well-goers.
>>
>>147704450
every fucking day

EVERY SINGLE FUCKING DAY

I see that STUPID FUCKER hugging his STUPID DOG in his "Artifact-quality masterpiece" bucket when I go to get a drink.
>>
>>147704660
>getting drinks from the well
I think you have bigger problems to worry about.
>>
File: image.jpg (57KB, 351x259px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
57KB, 351x259px
>finally finish engraving like 10 slabs for the drowned dwarves
>forgotten beast arrives
>goes down in a few seconds
>before dying, it lures 16 dwarves into the cave pool
>mason ded
>engraver ded

Every time
Caves, not even once
>>
>>147704902
In one of my first attempts at playing DF, my hunter got into a tussle with a badger and they both stumbled into a pond and drowned.
>>
>>147704902
Ey, it's still worth breaching them so that spores will get that delicious underground tree farm going.
>>
>>147688116
Remove all the water.
>>
>>147688116
return the slaaaab
>>
File: return the slab.png (270KB, 512x384px) Image search: [Google]
return the slab.png
270KB, 512x384px
>>147688116
>>
Alright, best way to pump up magma to the surface? This fort is boring, sacrificing legendary craftsdwarves isn't a problem.
>>
>>147705883
That episode gave me the heebie-jeebies when I was a wee lad.
>>
>>147707359
>best way to pump up magma to the surface?
Well, uh, pumps. A stack of pumps to be specific.
I'm not sure what kind of answer you're looking for.
>>
>>147708471
>>147707359
Automated railway?
>>
File: plump_helms2.jpg (246KB, 750x1127px) Image search: [Google]
plump_helms2.jpg
246KB, 750x1127px
Lpumb
>>
File: helm plump.jpg (107KB, 1023x486px) Image search: [Google]
helm plump.jpg
107KB, 1023x486px
Has anyone tried out the weird mod that shows up in Masterwork that has semi domesticated plump helmet men?
>>
>>147711928
>Masterwork
Sorry for the shitpost
>>
>>147711976
>I engraved it again!
>>
Any guesses?
>>
>>147712556
Oh god the asshole grabbed a chunk of raw candy and it isn't even the first item?

A fucking bone gauntlet with adamantine spikes or some shit.
>>
>>147712556
>mysterious construction
>raw adamantine
It doesn't matter what it is, the result will leave you quite angry and have wasted adamantine. Kill the dwarf.
>>
>>147713010
>>147713028
>Toy boat
Whelp

Still worth 650k though... Well, now I know who's gonna work the magma pumps!
>>
Why is it that when I try to make an engraving about this titan, I always get pic related. Every. Single. Time.

It killed over 80 dwarves, surely there must be SOMETHING interesting to carve about it.
>>
File: Why.png (5KB, 615x59px) Image search: [Google]
Why.png
5KB, 615x59px
>>147713201
Forgot pic. Fuck me.
>>
File: 1453827057047.jpg (60KB, 640x360px) Image search: [Google]
1453827057047.jpg
60KB, 640x360px
>making world
>trying to stop worldgen at some point
>DF is just too busy with worldgenning that it can't even register me pressing enter/esc
fugg, guess I'll have to wait an eternity

Also, on an unrelated note, is the situation I'm describing below possible?
>start a new fort, build a couple of things
>retire fort
>go into adv mode, create dorf character
>get a bunch of followers, become a group, kill everyone in the previously mentioned fort and claim the site for myself
>become leader of site
>retire adventurer
>attempt to unretire the fort I just wiped out and claimed

Note that the adventurer would be from a dwarven civ (either the same one as the fort or another one)
Would it work? Would I retire the fort and get to play my adventurer in fortmode?
>>
File: nice.png (2KB, 595x27px) Image search: [Google]
nice.png
2KB, 595x27px
>>147713201
>>147713295
Possibly related, I just got this.
>>
>>147713326

1. Don't kill members of a civ with members of the same civ. It leads to bad things.
2. To be a full member of the fort you basically have to be genned there, and not as a hearthperson (iirc).
>>
>>147713420
>1. Don't kill members of a civ with members of the same civ. It leads to bad things.
Now this is just intriguing

>2. To be a full member of the fort you basically have to be genned there, and not as a hearthperson (iirc).
Yes, but that's why I mentioned taking over the place and claiming it for myself(or rather, my group)
If I recall correctly, "retiring" in a place basically makes you a member of that civ or something.
I remember retiring my adventurer in a goblin dark pit, then I used Legends Viewer to look up my adventurer and he was listed to recently be part of the goblin civs.
When I unretired I was back in the hillock I genned in, though.
>>
>>147713520
>Now this is just intriguing

http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2014:Faction#Loyalty_cascade

Its not fun, it just leads to civilization imploding.

>If I recall correctly, "retiring" in a place basically makes you a member of that civ or something.

You want to start your adventurer at the site you want him to be a full member of.
>>
>>147713520
what about 2 adventurers?
One, member of a foreign civ, kills your 7 dwarves, another, member of your civ, will reclaim the fort.
>>
>>147713612
>>147713520
Be sure to create the adventurer *before* slaughtering everyone, and create him at the fort you want him integrated with.
>>
>>147713072
Better than adamantine hammer.
>>
>>147714170
Not really. Adamantine hammers have ONE use. As the hammerers hammer.
>>
>>147713295
>Rosy Lakes
>>
>>147714170
adamantine hammers are GOOD because adamantine is a good WEAPON MATEROAL
>>
>>147714420
With the amount of damage it did, "Rosy Lakes" probably means "Huge Pools Of Blood"
>>
>tfw no giant creatures that make up entire regions with geographical features and sites and shit on them
>>
>>147714479
I don't get that meme
>>
>>147714692
>geographical features and sites and shit on them
You mean they are so giant that their shit becomes a geographical feature (i.e. a mountain) or that they're so big that they themselves have sites and geographical features on their bodies?
>>
>The Oceans of Sucking
Guess it's a pretty dull place
>>
>>147714861
The latter.
>>
>>147714508
That makes sense. I like it when the names make sense and are fitting. I have a Bronze Colossus named the "Disemboweler of Sharks" but no sharks were on his kill list.
>>
>>147714743
Me neither anon, it would kinda make sense if the little toady was dwarf fortress
>>
>>147714890
Or it's a place full of whirlpools
>>
File: traitor.png (18KB, 598x270px) Image search: [Google]
traitor.png
18KB, 598x270px
A swordsman agreed to travel with me as an ally, then immediately attacked me, the absolute madman
>>
File: 1392927819164.png (52KB, 250x250px) Image search: [Google]
1392927819164.png
52KB, 250x250px
>plan to visit circus
>train army, industrial revolution
>hallway full of traps and GCCs webbin' for demon !!FUN!!
>fps death doesn't creep as much as it suddenly hits like an egg smashing the ground
>haven't even acquired candy

Multithreading when?
>>
>>147714248
>Adamantine hammers have ONE use
It's like burning slippers, better never use it.
>>
File: 'ere I go.png (133KB, 1272x948px) Image search: [Google]
'ere I go.png
133KB, 1272x948px
Decent starting location?
>>
>>147718116
>aquifer
no
>>
>>147718116
Forget that mess. I moved way up.
>>147718369
Reason I moved.
>>
File: CrazyCollapse.png (70KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
CrazyCollapse.png
70KB, 1920x1080px
>>147713326
Hit enter/esc about 3 years before the one you want to hit.

Can't claim dorf sites due to the lack of a lord/lady position, I added them in but it's tricky as they conflict with shit like barons/dukes in weird ways, so I just removed the barons/dukes and left the necessary fort mode positions, broker/bookkeeper/militia captain/commander/medidorf/manager, plus mayor.

Kinda lean on the nobles, but eh, I'd rather have their sites viable as a hearthperson/claimable.
>>
>Group is called "Sacrifical Glazes"
At least the Mountainhomes named my group fittingly.
>>
How do dwarves choose what food to eat? Do they just go to the nearest food item? Or are they somehow picky?
>>
>>147718116
>calm
>>
>>147719813
>hehehe
>>
>>147718369
>remove-aquifer
>>
>>147719813
This is baby's first fortress. If I wanted to surely die by rushing in blindly into this game I would have either picked the sinister biomes nearby.
>>
I have 5/7 magma below my forge and it still isn't active. What's going on?
>>
>>147720989
You need more magma.
>>
>>147497049
>powergaming

gbtb

wait, wrong general
>>
>>147720703
>This is baby's first fortress
>freezing
>>
>>147721196
I still want a challenge.
>>
>>147721053
What level do I need? 7/7?
>>
>>147721465
>To build a magma forge, you must have magma-safe materials (non-magma-safe materials will not be shown on the material list), an anvil, and a build site where at least one tile directly beneath one of its eight non-center tiles contains magma at a depth of 4/7 or greater.

The wiki is your friend.

Check that you have really dig a path between the forge and the magma, that the magma is right beneath one of the eight exterior tiles (not the one in the middle). Can't think of anything else right now.
>>
>>147720989
Just to make sure, there is an open space channeled out above the magma where you're putting the forge, right?
>>
>>147721465
No, he's wrong. You only need 4/7. If your reservoir is still filling the depth is probably fluctuating. If it drops below 4/7 the forge deactivates. If you have any tiles of 3/7 or less in the reservoir then they're probably passing under the forge often enough that it's just not active on the ticks you're q'ing it.
>>
>>147718116
If it's your first fort then avoid the Aquifier.

Needs a bit of experience to conquer an aquifer.

My personal favourite method is to use the land above it as a bomb to smash straight through it.
>>
File: ug6M_JDn6kQ.jpg (49KB, 600x600px) Image search: [Google]
ug6M_JDn6kQ.jpg
49KB, 600x600px
>embarked at sinister biome
>no undeads
>no clouds
>only ogres passing by and 1.5 harpies far away
>and raining nauseating mug 24/7
da fuck
>>
File: 1450567627222.jpg (102KB, 646x599px) Image search: [Google]
1450567627222.jpg
102KB, 646x599px
What is some shit you'd really like to see, /dfg/?
Still hoping that one day we can form our own religion in adv mode

>>147725763
>not checking the site out first in adv mode
>>
>>147725883
Army arc + fps optimization. Mainly fps optimization actually. The game as it is is already fucking awesome. I just wish I could make a 16 x 16 dorf city with 2000 dorfs and incredible sieges.
>>
File: SelfWorshipIsBestWorship.png (42KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
SelfWorshipIsBestWorship.png
42KB, 1920x1080px
>>147725883
>>
>>147725883
>What is some shit you'd really like to see, /dfg/?
1. Multithreading
2. Pathing optimization
3. Multithreading
>>
File: 14639286589202.jpg (172KB, 683x615px) Image search: [Google]
14639286589202.jpg
172KB, 683x615px
>>147725763
>nauseating mug

If I was on a PC I would draw this.
>>
>>147725883
Mainly romance and more realistic personal interactions
Dont get me wrong, I am hyped as fuck for the magic release and more optimization, as everybody
>>147726142
>>147726267
But in real life, I dont answer to everything with 'it was inevitable'
Would love a very more coherent psychology for entities being reflected in-game
>>
>the cackling fades away
I didn't even know this was possible
I didn't think I could possibly survive the night
>>
>>147726262
How'd you do it?
I've had the possibility of calling myself a great deity (with my own name) before, but I had no idea how

>>147726581
Any word on how magic's gonna function yet?
>>
So I accidentally named my world "custom 2", thinking that I was naming the parameter set.

Any way to change the name of the world? I really like the outcome.
>>
File: 12312d1dd21d2.png (369KB, 1891x995px) Image search: [Google]
12312d1dd21d2.png
369KB, 1891x995px
Rate my workshop floor design, /dfg
>>
>>147726841
DFHack
>>
>>147727247

Does DFHack work for things like changing playable CIV to human after world creation? Or adding Nobles to Humans after world creation?

As it stands you need to create a new world if you set humans to playable. And another new world if you forgot to add nobles to their file.
>>
So will embarking NEAR an evil biome still give the possibility of undead roaming towards your fort?
>>
>>147725883
Volcano eruptions.
>>
>>147632549
Give in to the cannibal lust within you.
>>
>>147726901
I'm not sure which tileset you're using, but I'm pretty sure you're using the wrong tile for the pillars.
>>
>>147726267
DF is already multithreaded
>>
File: 12312d1dd21d2.png (338KB, 1920x1030px) Image search: [Google]
12312d1dd21d2.png
338KB, 1920x1030px
>>147728507
I dont know what is the problem but some walls tiles mixed up with others. I installed clear version and created new world but nothing changed.
>>
>>147728898
Surreal.
>>
>>147728898
Are you installing via LNP?
I had the same problem with tiles getting mixed up. I think there might be a bug in LNP.
>>
File: 12312d1dd21d2.png (6KB, 458x76px) Image search: [Google]
12312d1dd21d2.png
6KB, 458x76px
>>147729796
No. I downloaded LNP and 42.06 but keep them separated. I currently playing 42.06 + DFHack but tried just 43.05 and that didnt help.
>>
>>147506959
>>Then I decide to go ahead and use some spore tree wood to fill out a bit
Fill what out a bit?
>>
Is there any FUN to be had with oceanside forts?
>>
>>147731017
If you connect the ocean to an aquifer you can get infinite power from water wheels.
>>
How do I get sexy volcanos, /dfg/?

Every time I check a nice one out, it tends to just be a flat pool of magma.
Any way to get more mountainous volcanos?
>>
>>147731775
All volcanos are basically just a cylinder from the bottom to the top of the map. I don't think Toady has finished them.
>>
>>147727602
If you can catch them you could have a cheap army.
>>
>>147727602
I think invasions are generated based on the neighboring biomes, so probably.
>>
File: Безымянный.png (908KB, 1920x1032px) Image search: [Google]
Безымянный.png
908KB, 1920x1032px
Can someone swim to me like this?
>>
Is it possible to build a fortress in the ocean?
>>
>>147715990
>XXhemprobeXX
Looks like a name someone would use in a MLG satire video
>>
File: FuckingIceAndMagma.png (76KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
FuckingIceAndMagma.png
76KB, 1920x1080px
>>147726739
I used dfhack to change one of the entries in df.global.ui_adventure_mode.conversation so it targeted me with the same values as the deity I worshipped for the class.

After doing that when I speak to other people they also start to worship me.

>>147730813
Big construction project, needed more logs to cover some of the z-levels to get the pillars up high enough.

>>147731775
>>147732098
They get weirder than that if you disable the hell layer, this structure is down inside the caverns below a glitched volcano tube on a glacier.

Put spots of 100 volcanism on the edges of regions where high and low elevations meet, or clusters of 100 volcanism in the middle of low elevation regions so the volcano generates the mountain itself.
>>
>there will never be romance dialogue in your lifetime.

>You will never go mining alone with a qt dwarf waifu with a luxurious, flowing beard and have that actually mean something in the game.

Why live.
>>
If your boss was absolutely the worst person you knew would you skip work one day to do dorfs?
she might fire me but I can not tolerate her any longer and I want to have a solid ten hours in one go to get my fortress going well.
>>
>>147733060
Cold oceans can freeze in winter, meaning you could easily mine out a fortress in winter that would be underwater in summer.
>>
>>147733561

Do what you want. Just be prepared to face the consequences.
>>
>>147733561
>He personally believes that it would be a fine thing if all time were leisure time and finds the proposition that one should work hard in life utterly abhorrent
>>
>>147734235
>he still believes that "working hard" is actually rewarding and not just something drilled into us from birth by an elite that rely on easy labour
>>
File: image.png (449KB, 500x713px) Image search: [Google]
image.png
449KB, 500x713px
>>147734161
>wage war on elves
>tfw they can't lay siege to your fortress now that it's summer
>>
>>147734397
>getting this buttblasted at a joke
A telltale sign that you should just kill yourself
>>
>>147734521
You trade elves for giant undead sperm whales though.
>>
So when multi-tile creatures come out, will they be multiple up and down, lengthwise, or both?
>>
>>147732870
No. Brook tiles count as floors.
>>
>>147734758
I've "traded" with a lot of elves in my days, and never once have I seen them bring an aquatic animal or an undead animal.
>>
>>147734758
>not having an undead Moby Dick army
All I would need is a Necromancer, a giantic holding cell, and floodgates to unleash the army on anything foolish enough to come inside.
>>
>>147735703
He meant that having a fortress next to an ocean means that you are at risk of a undead whale attack.
>>
>>147659003
Is this from a mod?
>>
>>147712556
Anyone know the tileset?
>>
>>147737573
It's CLA with some colors I found on the wiki.

https://paste.installgentoo.com/view/8be50e7b
>>
>>147734189
Yeah, I wouldn't have asked if I wasn't prepared
I just need someone to tell me to do what I am going to do even if it's some random
>>147734235
If all time were leisure time I would probably self terminate after a month
I just have a shitty in between job that I care nothing about
>>
>>147737812
Thanks friendo
>>
my question to the dwarves, who play modes DAII-War and Mythos.How to understand where live Aboleth?
>>
>>147726581
>>147733515
I see we want the same, I dont see romance being talked about a lot, but it would surely serve as a major pillar in the game, Its a shame how hard its gonna be to program that.
I mean, do you really believe an autistic math teacher like Toady will be able to code love in the game?
>>
How did dwarf civilization ever get off the ground when they're all so stupid?
>>
>>147721303
You're going to get a challenge on the most generically easy map possible dude
>>
>>147738309
>so stupid

Example?
>>
>>147738494
>falling down the well
>falling into the magma smelter
>setting an entire field on fire to reach water
>walling themselves in
>pulling random levers
etc
>>
>>147725883
multithreading
>>
>>147738749
DF is already multithreaded
>>
>>147738998
No it is not.

It cannot make use of more than 1 cpu core, which is the biggest cause of FPS death. Its now 64 bit, but that is a very different thing, which just allows it to make use of more memory addresses.
>>
>>147739389
I don't think there are many ways to parallelize the routines in dwarf fortress though. Calculation of a frame is very linear.
>>
>>147738737
Dwarves don't have worse AI than anything else in the game
>>
>>147738078
I can dream ok. Honestly just thinking about how much would change if romance was added is crazy.
>>
>>147738309
They need booze to function.
>>
File: 1467887910588.png (57KB, 1475x457px) Image search: [Google]
1467887910588.png
57KB, 1475x457px
>>147739389
>It cannot make use of more than 1 cpu core
Yes it can.
Not even that guy.
>>
File: IntoTheLavaWithYou.png (51KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
IntoTheLavaWithYou.png
51KB, 1920x1080px
>>147734983
Yes.
>>
>>147740617
It uses the second core for rendering. It's not multithreaded where it counts.
>>
>>147741097
This guy gets it.

I manage with a limit of 60 dwarves, avoid rivers and keep animals to an absolute minimum, usually less than 20.
>>
>>147741097
So now you admit it's multithreaded?

>second core has a bigger load than the first one
Yeah no

It's multithreaded but multithreading isn't the magic shit most layman believe it is
>>
>>147741230
I'm not the guy you were responding to.

It's a pretty poor use of multithreading since the inter-thread communication will basically force them to operate in lockstep. Fluid flow would be something that could be parallelized, but I don't think that would give significant performance improvements. Pathfinding might also be multithreaded, but the issue then would be making sure that multiple dwarves don't get assigned to the same task. Everything else would probably be fairly linear and not worth parallelizing.
>>
File: disgusting.jpg (54KB, 840x150px) Image search: [Google]
disgusting.jpg
54KB, 840x150px
Excuse me?
>>
>>147743480
It had a child in your fortress's jurisdiction. Its now a citizen of your fort and you must care for it and feed it for the rest of its life. Sorry dude. It is now legally a dwarf
>>
>>147743480
>>147743775
Kek
>>
File: make it stop.jpg (73KB, 598x477px) Image search: [Google]
make it stop.jpg
73KB, 598x477px
>>147743775
Just like in real life...
>>
File: 1402570248113.png (89KB, 500x366px) Image search: [Google]
1402570248113.png
89KB, 500x366px
>>147743775
It's harded to become icelander than for ogre to become dwarf...
>>
>>147740550
yes, but as everything that involves two dwarves having some kind of relationship, its gonna need a big rehaul before adding something as complex as romance
>>
File: DelightfulHammers.png (72KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
DelightfulHammers.png
72KB, 1920x1080px
>>147745171
Get ogre it you big baby.
>>
Why the fuck are my dwarves just starded to beat each other to death? There is no tantrum or something. It just happening.
>>
What should I use instead of the usual 3x3 staircases at center of fort?
>>
>>147746738
The God of Blood demands death.
>>
>>147746738
Loyalty cascade.
>>
File: Безымянный.png (28KB, 1227x120px) Image search: [Google]
Безымянный.png
28KB, 1227x120px
But why?
>>
File: 1467498066646.jpg (135KB, 704x566px) Image search: [Google]
1467498066646.jpg
135KB, 704x566px
>Vampire in fort
>>
>>147749775
>you were chosen as the fort smith because of your creativity and love of bracelets
>you slave day and night over said bracelets, dreaming one day to create a true masterwork
>your creations are continuously melted down to be used as raw material for new crafts
>you realise you are just a machine being incrementally improved so that the fort can start exporting consumer goods
>lose all joy in your work
>at some point, you attain your dream of crafting a masterwork
>you craft mountains of beautiful, technically flawless bracelets
>the broker sells them to the elves.
>>
>>147750231
I kinda want to leave dwarves as stupid are they are now, because if they become self-conscious, they would hate us and go insane
>>
>>147738309
Dwarves are seriously the most terrifying race in the game.

Not only can they reach FB-level combat efficiency after one or two years of training, but they're alsp the highest tier of building destroyers, as they can even destroy constructions. Heck, they can even dig through solid rock. Thank Armok they aren't immortal like the elves and gobs.
>>
>>147750583
>because if they become self-conscious, they would hate us and go insane

Don't know about that, the majority of DF players report their derfs being blissfully happy.

Beyond their stated drives and emotions, the only universal ambition of artificially intelligent beings could possibly be to have more processing power assigned to them.

The protagonists in DF are in all likelihood the most consistently happy beings in the world AND the ones with the most processing power assigned to them as well.
>>
>>147751047
>Thank Armok they aren't immortal like the elves and gobs.

They can very easily disseminate necromancer secrets and then you have steel, and possibly divine material and candy equipped tunneling necromancers.
>>
>>147751085
>blissfully happy
Tell me that when toady balances inebriation and adds (more)mental illnesses and more ways for dwarves to suffer the effects of stress and terror
>>
File: FUCKOFFWEREFULLCUNT.jpg (13KB, 661x71px) Image search: [Google]
FUCKOFFWEREFULLCUNT.jpg
13KB, 661x71px
NOOO GO AWAY
>>
>>147751479
>More ways for dwarves to suffer the effects of terror and stress

change>>147726581
I want dwarves to have ptsd, agoraphobia, shakes and night terrors/sleep paralysis
Am I a bad person?
>>
>>147751479

Ok. You're talking about the future tense, I'm talking about the past and present tense.

Additionally, the point holds in the prior version too.

>more ways for dwarves to suffer the effects of stress and terror

They're fucking upset by practically everything, including seeing random animal men die and iirc seeing enemies die.
>>
>>147751798
>sleep paralysis
that's going a bit too far

I don't wish it onto my worst enemies
>>
File: Untitled.jpg (25KB, 300x289px) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.jpg
25KB, 300x289px
Crundles keep climbing up my well and either fall to their death or go run around before getting a warhammer to the head.
Free xp I guess
>>
>>147752364
crundles are good for training troops and flooding the fortress with meat
>>
>>147752474
And killing fps.
>>
File: plump.jpg (30KB, 1061x200px) Image search: [Google]
plump.jpg
30KB, 1061x200px
It begins!
>>
>>147738737
>falling down the well
Overcrowding, sparring, or fighting near the well. Bad overseer.
>falling in the magma smelter
Same as above, and channeled out the wrong tile. Bad overseer.
>setting an entire field on fire to reach water
Had to cross an entire field to reach water. Bad overseer.
>walling themselves in
Yeah, okay.
>pulling random levers
Either the wrong lever was set to be pulled or a dwarf went bonkers. Either way, bad overseer.

Maybe dwarven civilization got off the ground because you weren't in charge.
>>
>>147752267
No, I meant for the efects of stress being shown on the dwarves in a more 'real' way
Now, when a dwarf sees his daughter die, a number (the stress counter) simply goes down a 300-25 points and the dwarf can go on with his life without showing any type of consecuence to that besides the single bad thought being shown on his thoughts screen.

If , for example, said dwarf lost his only masterwork after his daughter died and he turns insane, that isnt realistic at all.
Firstly, An entity should receive various bad thoughts from a same action, separated by time between them, which would allow the trope of ''the tormented hero'' to exist, something that´d be awesome by itself

Second, the entity should suffer progressive effects of stress dependent of how much stress the guy has, no more and no less. For example, loss of hunger, tiring faster, periodically bad thoughts, etc. any actual real effect that stress has on people, You can ask a real psychologyst what those are, I dont know.
If said stress would exceed the natural stress limit the guy has, he would go insane/depressed, etc. Instead of going from being supper-dupper to suddenly stressed in one second

That way, if a dwarve is stressed and doesnt fix it, the other tropes of vicious cycle and self-preservation respectively would also exist in-game, which could be exploited in various ways, and would add realism and complexity

>>147752323
Yeah, I might had gone a little too far there
What illnesess would you guys add to the game?
>>
>>147754281
Okay. Anyway, my point is that the player fortress, for all its travails, is largely the place where dwarves are happiest in the world.
>>
>>147754462
well, if that's your point, you are actually right
>>
>>147753712
Aaaaand plump helmet men can't speak. So much for my adept singer/musician.
>>
>>147754849
>tfw you have no mouth but you must... sing!
>>
>>147754849
The speak the language of interpretive dance.
>>
>>147752267
>They're fucking upset by practically everything, including seeing random animal men die and iirc seeing enemies die.
Yeah.
30 dwarves just died because of zombie invasion. Others lost their friends and whitnessed horrific undeads.
And then they eating in legendary dining room.
>>
>>147755213
Its better than at the beginning when they were sleeping in dirt, drinking stream water and eating helm plumps.
>>
>>147754849
Mouths are overrated.
>>
>>147754281
Can't wait too see legendary mason drinking ale instead of making coffin for his baby and after yeat of depression ending up in jail for ruining mandate or being killed in one hit by militia captain.
>>
>>147754223
Told.
>>
File: guard captain.png (26KB, 962x333px) Image search: [Google]
guard captain.png
26KB, 962x333px
post shitty forum artifacts
>>
>>147754281
>cool story brah
Though I agree the whole stress system isn't very realistic as it is, don't you think that 'that' would make the game considerably more difficult?
I mean, what use can I make from the one and only survivor of the invasion of a Forgotten beast if he becomes a ¨sane¨ sobbing flesh ball full of traumas and broken by PTSD?
He might as well die, makes me feel less cruel
>>
Do Goblins come wearing more armor during sieges now?
>>
>>147760714
Fuckin raciss white crundlefuckin guards.

>Fact: black dwarves 72% more likely to be chained for violating a mandate.

>Fact: the hammerer is 117% more likely to pick a silver warhammer when punishing a black dwarf.

>Fact: black dwarves experience 54% more magma related deaths when compared to their pale taupe counterparts.

It's time for a change.
#BlackDwarvesMatter
>>
>>147761871
Yes.
>>
>>147761871
>>147763887
Feels fuckin great the way that Toady specifically fulfills requests for the game like that
>>
>>147464853
I love him so much, he's so sweet.
>>147726581
I think Toady just needs to expand responses. Oh, and my companions shouldn't spout the same "You must kill this bronze colossus" speech when we're fucking travelling together, filling up my log.
>>
>>147766030
Probably the comfiest way to spread rep is to put a PC as an NPC follower, with the PC and the other person in the party (probably also a retired adventurer) both as members of multiple civs, so that they'll rattle off everything in their memory to each other and give max reputation in tons of different civs.
>>
>>147766515
>>147766030
That being said, yes we need something to do about logs, the current log system is Godawful.
>>
I can't wait for mounts and mounted combat.

I also look forward to more entity interactions/antagonisms. Tying into embark scenarios, you should be able to piss off your parent civ and have various degrees of punishment if you refuse to provide something they mandate.

A year without a caravan for a missed shipment of metals, military attempts at "restoring proper rule" if you repeatedly refuse to lend troops to a war or attack parent civ caravans.
>>
>>147768868

Eh I can see that for other races, but dwarves aren't remotely the types to invade their own kind just for refusing them stuff, dwarven civs don't initiate wars period, they just finish them.
>>
>>147769283
I was thinking more of a royal hammerer squad coming to haul off the local baron and splatter him in front of the fortress gates or w/e, at least at first.
>>
>>147770310
Oh that's fine then.
>>
How am I supposed to edit save files in the latest dwarf fortress version?
>>
>>147771940
The same always?
>>
>>147760714
the black dwarf has
>armor
>youth
>size
>superior stats (look at those biceps)
>a functional weapon
>fair warning
and yet he still loses to a white dwarf with
>no armor
>old age
>a size disadvantage
>puny little arms
>only his fists for a weapon
that white dwarf should breed, and often
the black one shouldn't, ever
>>
I know the "military arc" is a bit of a meme at this point but has Toady ever mentioned stuff about army standardization/"troop types" being generated for civs?

It'd be neat if, assuming such a thing were implemented, if the degrees varied between civs. This dwarf civ standard-issues a specific uniform to all its troops always. This goblin civ does the same but with whatever materials are on hand. This human civ allows/forces its troops (or only specific types of troop) to bring whatever they can purchase.

Human civs with an emphasis on crossbowmen over archers. Fully armored goblin knights on beak dogs. Elves that prefer a certain type of tree to use for weapons.
>>
>2018, Toady gets the artifacts and myth stuff out quickly
>next he whipped out a surprise economy update for early scenario groundwork
>In the process he did two other things:
>resolved the adventurer/npc mount generation issues
>accidentally resurrected a bug from 42.01

>every citizen
>in every site
>regardless of age
>position
>or tasks
>all are found constantly astride a horse

>some sites don't have enough citizens
>horses are found riding other horses in stacks a hundred high

>The DF Horse Bug Part 2: The Horsening

>Oh won't you be my neigh-eigh-eigh-bor?
>>
>>147772749
h-how am I supposed to do that anon? Googled a lot but cant find anything
>>
is the source code smoehwre?
>>
>tfw no dorf fortress streamer to fall asleep to
:(
>>
>>147777462
Its on a flash drive surgically implanted inside of Toady' skull.
>>
File: 1434932699609.jpg (112KB, 624x463px) Image search: [Google]
1434932699609.jpg
112KB, 624x463px
Did they fix that issue with HAIR OR SKIN becoming Reanimated. AND NEVER DYING so entire fort just fights the skin/ hair untill they all die of thirst.

im still on the ersion with working dfhack.
>>
>>147779119
just use a custom reaction for necromancers dude
>>
>>147738309
Because who needs a brain when you have booze and steel.
>>
>>147738309
Dwarves have greatly superior mental function to humans actually, better tech too.
>>
>>147779419
the problem is not that. Its that i embark ona horrifying place to have some fun.

and then i butcher a goat. or something and the skin or hair or yarn gets re animated. and my fort is doomed.
>>
Is there a way to make caverns more lively?
Im doing a Cavern Fort but nothing ever comes to challenge me but a few crundles who attack my cats
>>
>>147780276
I like to use custom reactions that are vanilla inspired: many evil biome reactions with fit for resurrection instead of fit for animation, and with husking weather.
>>
>>147781687
ill have to look into that.

what do you mean by husking weather? you mean evil rain?
>>
>>147782240
Naw, clouds of vapor or dust that turn people to zombies that keep their soul (skills/mind stats/etc) and gear, which are very deadly.
>>
File: 1462338907073[1].jpg (8KB, 236x236px) Image search: [Google]
1462338907073[1].jpg
8KB, 236x236px
>>147782848
>clouds of vapor
>>
Why wont my dwarves pick up troglodyte corpses and haul them to the refuse pile? I have all corpses enabled, and there are 3-4 idle dwarves with refuse hauling on?
>>
>>147784927
Yes. Vapor clouds. Those are a thing.
>>
File: 20151207_155016_zpsyuf3zsz0[1].png (743KB, 1024x920px) Image search: [Google]
20151207_155016_zpsyuf3zsz0[1].png
743KB, 1024x920px
>>147787074
>>
File: i don't get it.gif (4KB, 253x413px) Image search: [Google]
i don't get it.gif
4KB, 253x413px
>>147787402
I have no idea what you're trying to say to me.
>>
File: 1388617934960.png (348KB, 877x729px) Image search: [Google]
1388617934960.png
348KB, 877x729px
>>147787542
I'm just funposting.
Blowing zombie power on gobs could be fun.
Thread posts: 763
Thread images: 184

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.