[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/dfg/- Dwarf Fortress General

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 607
Thread images: 183

File: 1388261515739.jpg (106KB, 1000x1210px) Image search: [Google]
1388261515739.jpg
106KB, 1000x1210px
Previous thread: >>139504682

>Download the basic game here. Current version is Dwarf Fortress 0.42.06
http://www.bay12games.com/dwarves/

>Official forums:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php

>Find a bug? Don't tell us! Tell Toady! Complaining in the thread will accomplish nothing.
http://www.bay12games.com/dwarves/mantisbt

>Have a question? Check the wiki first:
http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/Main_Page

>Fireden archived threads:
https://boards.fireden.net/vg/search/subject/Dwarf%20Fortress/

>Dwarf Therapist:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=122968.0

>DFHack (Alpha release):
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=139553.0

>Starter Pack (Alpha release):
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=126076.0

>More DF stuff:
http://pastebin.com/AnsHjQ40

>Dwarf Fortress General IRC chat:
http://en.irc2go.com/webchat/?net=freenode&room=dwarffortress
(to connect yourself: https://webchat.freenode.net #dwarffortress)

>A bunch of guides to various parts of fort-based living:
http://imgur.com/a/nGyRF#0

>Video tutorials:
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLBrdUj1adIBD-vgUodaaxebcdqQ4oEWtg
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLD1A3FE72C0DCAC66 (Dated, but good)

>Text tutorials:
http://dwarffortresswiki.org/DF2014:Tutorials
http://members.iinet.net.au/~morty/Getting_Started_with_Dwarf_Fortress.pdf

>This pasta:
http://pastebin.com/iAduXzjn

Strike the earth!
>>
File: dwarf_by_kikicianjur-d3ldn5i.jpg (149KB, 782x1050px) Image search: [Google]
dwarf_by_kikicianjur-d3ldn5i.jpg
149KB, 782x1050px
1st for chillin'
>>
Are there any raw material ID's for divine metals in the game? I want a new one since i managed to lose my two hander in hell.
>>
File: Beaver.png (64KB, 1600x861px) Image search: [Google]
Beaver.png
64KB, 1600x861px
And now we have beaver rampages every full moon.
>>
Who the fuck thought that having the same OP pic three times in a row was a good idea?

Thank Armok that this one won.
>>
>>140059065
Sorry, I just didn't think you guys would like the change...
>>
>>140058250
>fear the night
>night still isn't a thing in fort mode

>>140058117
Just go back to the vault where you got it? The angels respawn, and they have the same three predetermined weapons every time.
>>
>>140059312
I've had the sword for like an in-game year and getting to that vault with a blazing sword would take swimming across the ocean again. Do these things even have material ID's?
>>
>>140060102
You should grab several swords next time. They weigh next to nothing, so you should carry at least a dozen at the same time.
>>
>>140060291
nevermind, found it myself in dfhack. In case anyone ever needs this info, the metal types are DIVINE_(number)
>>
>Deity is of relevance to freedom
>the temple name is Sanctuary of Emancipation
dude the game might literally know what the god is of beforehand, or it's just divine coincidence and it draws from a relatively small amount of spheres

here's the temples I designed next for said deities how are they?
>>
>>140059065
Who is Armok?
>>
>>140068754
Big Armok is 4U or You
>>
>>140068754
God of blood in dorf fortress senpai.
>>
>>140069627
Is there a god of eggs?
>>
>>140069704
Fertilized?
>>
>>140070140
Yes
>>
So I'm getting crashes playing on the newest version on adventure mode. It happens sometimes when I go to my map screen and sometimes when I'm strolling around town, anybody else having this crap?
>>
>>140071132
Text Will Be Text causes it, sadly.
>>
>>140065197

It relates to the god's spheres.
Like if you have a god of disease it can be called like "The Chapel of Pus" or something.
>>
>>140071859
Ahh alright, thank you.
>>
File: dwarf_fanart.jpg (220KB, 1600x691px) Image search: [Google]
dwarf_fanart.jpg
220KB, 1600x691px
Anyone else got art of events or persons in DF like this?
>>
File: VorpalCurses+1Classic.png (22KB, 384x576px) Image search: [Google]
VorpalCurses+1Classic.png
22KB, 384x576px
>>140072752
Well, technically the town one could be from a sealed library, but yeah, twbt crashes when the map scale changes several times rapidly. I got it pretty consistently when I'd go from the near-site travel map to the world travel map. That's why I started messing around with my larger tilesets and whatnot, hitting upon the fact that nonsquare sets don't shrink down as far as inferior ones do (24x36 vs 24x24) and so forth.
>>
File: ZaWarudo.gif (2MB, 720x404px) Image search: [Google]
ZaWarudo.gif
2MB, 720x404px
>>140060879
You can also use gui/create-item to make them.

You could artifake one up but until I figure out how to fix the names and such I haven't bumped it all the way to readiness.
>>
File: Necromancer.png (174KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
Necromancer.png
174KB, 1920x1080px
>>140073673
>woman with beard

NANI!??!
>>
>>140075326
>implying female dorfs can reproduce without beards
>implying the dorf courtship ritual doesn't involve the male approaching after signaling his fitness
>the female coyly entangling her beard with his
>a small piece of his beard, a beardlet if if you will, is left behind to gestate
>the beardlet accumulates booze as the mother drinks, crumbs as she eats, and dust as she engraves
>over time it uses the accumulated material to construct a little dorflet
>when the dorflet is large enough the beardlet transfers itself to the face and begins to connect to the new host
>unfortunately this process means it can no longer maintain a grip on the motherbeard, causing the infant to fall to the ground
>thus the Urist McMomma cancels task: Seeking infant.
>>
hey /dfg/, are there any other games that are considered on the level of df? not necessarily rougelikes.
>>
I'm just getting into this game and I was wondering something.

Are you an actual part of this game, or are you essentially just a voice in the sky to your fortress?
>>
>>140077629
The latter, unless you're playing adventure mode
>>
>>140077484
In what way? There's plenty of autism games with similar depth of detail, there's gobloads of citybuilders, there's few or no games that do the same sort of worldbuilding.
>>
>>140077484
Rimworld?
>>
>>140078387
The procedurally generated craziness that takes place in df doesn't really have an equal. At best you get stuff like that keeperrl game that's trying to resemble df in the current state to some extent, and failing to offer as much as a game that's only 42% done.
>>
File: toadyone.png (1KB, 32x32px) Image search: [Google]
toadyone.png
1KB, 32x32px
>After finishing the resource-based work order conditions, I allowed work orders to be automatically restarted with different frequencies (always/monthly/seasonal/yearly), respecting any conditions. I'm currently working on allowing work orders to trigger other work orders upon activation or completion. I think that'll be it for conditions for this release. Then all we have left are work order job detail settings as well as some bugs to fix.
>>
>>140078387
just something a pretentious turbo autist would ramble on about
>>
File: MrGarrisonsFancyNewVagina20.jpg (48KB, 720x480px) Image search: [Google]
MrGarrisonsFancyNewVagina20.jpg
48KB, 720x480px
>>140078973
>>140078387
>love adventure mode combat
>eventually get bored due to nothing specific to do and no peer interactions like DnD would have
>tfw no time for DnD group

>tfw no games that let you:
>freely attack neutral/friendly units
>delimb enemies
>lock and break joints with wrestling
>beat enemies to death with their own severed limbs
>chuck a weapon across the room to stab a bitch
>weapons getting stuck in their targets and shit
>strangle a bitch
>become a necromancer
>murder and raise an entire town from the dead
>get fucked up and lose a leg
>doesn't grow back, have to deal with that shit
>play the rest of the game with a crutch
The only thing to come close that I know of is DnD and other tabletop/pen and paper games and it's sad.
>>
>>140080249
>needing peers
>>
>>140080636
it's not really a requirement, but after a while it gets kinda lonely and boring.
>>
A new thread without my carefully crafted bear combat stamp on it.

** Loading Adventurer **
It is the 15th of Granite, 100.
You hack at The Black Bear in the upper body with your Steel short sword!
It is broken!
The Black Bear's heart has been pierced!
The Black Bear's upper spine has been badly cut!
The Steel short sword has lodged firmly in the wound!
The Black Bear charges at You!
The Black Bear bites You in the right foot!
The shot glances away.
The Black Bear collides with You!
You are knocked over!
The Black Bear bites You in the right lower arm!
The shot glances away.
The Black Bear bites You in the lower body!
The shot glances away.
The Black Bear bites You in the upper body!
It is torn!
The Black Bear latches on firmly!
You are no longer stunned.
You stand up. <<== player issued game command
The Black Bear shakes You around by the upper body!
It is torn!
== player command to move away from bear
You break the grip of The Black Bear's mouth on Your upper body.
You maintain possession of the Steel short sword. REMARK This is key
The Black Bear gives in to pain.
The Black Bear falls over.
You hack at The Black Bear in the left rear leg with your Steel short sword!
The left rear leg flies off in a bloody arc!
You hack at The Black Bear in the upper body with your Steel short sword!
The shot glances away.
The Black Bear has bled to death.
It is the 20th of Granite, 100.

ahhh that's better
>>
File: VorpalCurses+1.png (23KB, 384x576px) Image search: [Google]
VorpalCurses+1.png
23KB, 384x576px
>>140080972
I think my problem is that I was the superautist who knew the books and ended up being the GM. Though that was Palladium and I hadn't yet discovered how much better Mutants and Masterminds is.

Still, I like not having to play the world for a change.
>>
>>140081448
>superautist who knew the books and ended up being the GM
yeah, I think I'm more suited to being a party member rather than the GM. I would much rather push the boundaries than write them. If I was a GM I would end up throwing a crazy amount of shit so the party would wipe on the first night barring some really good rolls/perfect strategy.
>in my first DnD group I kept missing with my dagger while fighting skeletons
>put dagger away and ripped the leg off the bitch
>beat it and the others to death with the leg
Can't wait till I have a more stable schedule and I can get in a group.
>>
I got an adventurer mode dwarf with two companions and I am trying to lay them off without getting them killed.
One is the grandchild of the oldest surviving couple of dwarves, the other has had a child captured by a goblin fortress and I weakly intend to play out rescuing that captive. Some day.

I've tried retiring but they are still stuck on me, I noticed one with a broken leg stayed in a cave so if I had a reliable way to go to some cave and have them break legs and come back 53 years later I might.

I am about to build a fortress, abandon it, reactivate the adventurer and have 'em show up, then reclaim the fortress and get some stuff done such as having the NPC macedwarf pick a mace up again.
>>
File: Dwarf Bucks.png (42KB, 1345x747px) Image search: [Google]
Dwarf Bucks.png
42KB, 1345x747px
>>140077484
Incursion

Post dwarf items that netted you a decent profit!
>>
File: NoChildrenNoFisherdorfs.png (70KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
NoChildrenNoFisherdorfs.png
70KB, 1920x1080px
>>140083213
>a billion green glass and steel serrated discs
>>
>>140083213
>Incursion
hm, seems interesting
>>
This game seems good fun but I think Im too stupid to play it.
Is there a less confusing version of it?
>>
>>140085312
Just dive right in with the wiki on alt-tab. All the "less confusing" versions manage to leave out the fun.
>>
>>140085312
>go to wiki
>follow the quickstart guides
>trial and error from there
>>
>>140086003
Screwing up is part of the fun, after all.
>>
File: zulban'schangeofuniform.png (121KB, 1936x1056px) Image search: [Google]
zulban'schangeofuniform.png
121KB, 1936x1056px
i have some minor beef with Retiring fortresses, which I'm sure currently are due to a myriad of bugs in the woodwork undocumented so far

but besides seeing Artifacts you made with love and care disappear and seeing poor capable weaponmaster dwarves fall to creatures whose fighting power is questionable (troglodytes or VCC's) It's the quality and material change of weapons and clothing that grabs my goat, respectively. very tempted to change the quality with dfhack to its respective normal state
>>
>>140085312
Did you read my bear melee post?
>>
>>140085820
>>140086003
Ive tried but I get to a point where I wont understand a single thing of what I am doing :(

>>140086643
Wich one anon, link it
>>
eh, at least I got a carpenter out of this

This first ever artifact of the second fortress could be foresight into the future of the return of the King Lolor, he loves Animal traps
>>
>>140089276
here's the pic I forgot
>>
File: LetMeAxeYouAQuestion.png (74KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
LetMeAxeYouAQuestion.png
74KB, 1920x1080px
>>140086594
Check the quality of those, they might actually be 6 (Artifact) quality.
>>
File: ThatsBrutalBro.png (58KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
ThatsBrutalBro.png
58KB, 1920x1080px
Well damn.

>please help save us from this vampire
>though it pains me to to ask this of you, for she is my wife!
>>
>30 fucking guests
So I have to feed all these assholes?
>>
File: ss+(2016-04-25+at+08.36.36).png (11KB, 656x360px) Image search: [Google]
ss+(2016-04-25+at+08.36.36).png
11KB, 656x360px
>>140090524
fraid not, it's not even artifact quality 6 its 0, and this axe I can recall was exceptional, the ones that would be artifact quality were the named ones left behind in SpecialVaults, and if military screen works the way it is, the weapon would most likely have stuck to the uniform the dwarf migrant used in former fort, with the exception of weapons under "individual weapon preference"

and what question had you axe'd of those you met in your journey? I recall opting for swords for my recent ones, very inefficient at axing and inquiring of the denizens I find out
>>
>>140091795
The axe was a metaphor for a real axe which split the poor fuckers chest open.

I know I've had adventurers I retired at a fort wind up with artifact quality stuff that had been masterwork previously.
>>
>>140092490
ofc I'm just taking a 'stab' at banter and to convince you I'm in on the joke too
which kinda failed like wedding two adventurers together, and hey! I do also recall one of the silver long swords have also increased from 0 to q 2 as well for the coyote hunter sorta like yours, maybe skill is a factor to what quality weapon is expected of the 'semi-world-generated' character if that is even a thing. Take for example the various hammerlords with pretty nice masterwork to superior weapons

I kinda inferred both of them wouldn't be an item anyway since the 'gaydar' determined them to be "indeterminate in sex (might be adventurers)"
>>
>>140073673
poor dogs, they serve even after the death as the bones for her crossbow
>>
what the hell, man
One year I'm away and my meticulous battle tactics gone the former fort goes to shit, man, and I lost my resident adventurer who I parked in there for the sole reason that the 50 weaponmaster - 200 scrubtier goblins odds could protect her, sadly I think Its self explanatory how the world activation handles battles, less of a skirmish and more mano- e-mano, calculated battles between two figures at a time
I don't think I'm down for this That's it I think I'm going to reload and fight against the inevitable, and stick with my fort
>>
File: WtfBruhYouJustAskedMeToKillHer.png (61KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
WtfBruhYouJustAskedMeToKillHer.png
61KB, 1920x1080px
>>140093445
Yeah, adventurers don't have any preferences sexually or romantically.
>>
>>140097159
heh, and apparently here in this post I found out that the adventurer
>>140097132 Curo got kil
welp that's what backups are definitely for, this unavoidable calculating and indifferent world mechanism

Hey the brightside for your vampire hunt was it wasn't for a hearthperson that would request of you to go on a wild goose chase to find said vampire, who managed to elude me with 4 - 8 year gaps in rumors spread around of her/his last residence, and then finding out to my genuine chagrin he resided in my very fort, then having to slog through FPS death to actually find him/her.
>>
File: InternalizedHypeEngine.gif (63KB, 404x200px) Image search: [Google]
InternalizedHypeEngine.gif
63KB, 404x200px
>>140079172
>Then all we have left are work order job detail settings as well as some bugs to fix.
Some time in month of May release confirmed
ALERT THE INTERNET
>>
File: wow.png (56KB, 1366x768px) Image search: [Google]
wow.png
56KB, 1366x768px
Five pages of this and I wondered why they died
>>
what do with these magnificent beings? Can't give them jobs, assign their beds to them, assign to a military squad to perhaps off themselves in a demon echochamber. I'm all ears
>>
File: OhDearThatWasAmazing.png (52KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
OhDearThatWasAmazing.png
52KB, 1920x1080px
>>140097560
Gotta use the storytelling to track them down.

>>140098214
Internet is alerted!

I'm holding out hope that maybe it'll be out with the FotF reply.

>>140099167
Exterminate them.
>>
>>140099167
What would Jackson do?
>>
File: Lions.jpg (147KB, 750x609px) Image search: [Google]
Lions.jpg
147KB, 750x609px
>>140099603
nice hehehe
>>
>>140099603
in retrospect now that I think of it, that experience that was the vampire hunt was something that was a genuine experience, a historical figure that eludes capture going place to place and needing something like trusting rumors to track him down, this is the stuff of legends (mode) literally
the culmination of everything that Toady one has worked on enables organic events like this to happen, and its still continuing I am sure
>>
File: region1-00290-01-01-world_map.png (788KB, 3096x4644px) Image search: [Google]
region1-00290-01-01-world_map.png
788KB, 3096x4644px
>>140100657
That's why it kills me that world-gen can take so long on bigger worlds. Shit like being told to go enact a rather brutal divorce on a vampire by the lord I serve, or the one dragon (intelligent/god impersonating modded) I had that took over a criminal gang and racked up like 10k kills so I mention killing it and I'm instantly a legendary hero and protector of the weak.

Hell just now the goblin bandits who were harrassing the hamlet with the vampire wife and dragon deity had elf language names. How did that happen?
>>
>>140087018
Check the OP
>>
>>140077629
More like voice in the head, iirc the retirement message in legend mode sounds like "In year XXX dorfs of FortName came back to their senses."
>>140085312
There are a lot of poor man ripoffs out there with nice graphics and tutorials but they really lack in FUN, depth of detailing, number of features and so on.
>>
>>140087018
I remember when i was learning how to play. Fuark it was a huge learning curve. It's worth it in the end.
>>
File: ss+(2016-04-25+at+11.22.27).png (21KB, 656x339px) Image search: [Google]
ss+(2016-04-25+at+11.22.27).png
21KB, 656x339px
I think these 'zones' are responsible for why my glass furniture deconstructed and my beds disappeared, everysingle one like the Dwemer did with the Dunmer-turned tampering with the Heart of Lorkhan

That and a mixture of a few other bugs Im sure as accomplices
>>
>>140081139

did you fight that bear for 5 years?
>>
>>140099167

Is this a reclaim? Last time I used reclaim it was messed up what happened in like 2 weeks.
>>
>>140107364
>>140081139
>I just looked at the dates
Nigger how did that span of text last 5 god damn days
>>
File: GangsAllHere.png (61KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
GangsAllHere.png
61KB, 1920x1080px
>>140107821
It's different uses of the time/date/weather/sunlight checking. The game doesn't give a notification on day change unless you check for it.
>>
>>140107579
>>140105529
It is thus the zones being procedurally placed in the rooms and practically everywhere which lead to those merchants attracted to them and getting inside them, even if they previously had beds attached to the room. Man this is some messed up af cant begin to define a statement for this
>>
>>140108070
Yeah, zones and beds deconstructing is annoying as shit but eh.
>>
File: aesthetic30x36.png (13KB, 480x576px) Image search: [Google]
aesthetic30x36.png
13KB, 480x576px
>>
>>140073713
>inferior
Thems fightin words
>>
File: aesthetic battle.png (9KB, 312x334px) Image search: [Google]
aesthetic battle.png
9KB, 312x334px
>>140112776
>tfw someone reposts your tileset in HD
I miss my vaporfort.
>>
File: reward.png (23KB, 798x301px) Image search: [Google]
reward.png
23KB, 798x301px
>>140114107
I have so many nice memories from that world, you know.

I remember setting off as a beast hunter, then deciding to climb the highest mountain in the world. When I got there, I got attacked by several squads of goblins from a nearby fortress, which I then proceeded to fight on the peak of the mountain. One of the soldiers turned out to be an elf who carried a book. After winning the grand battle, I remember reading the book(about some shitty site) while sitting on the top of the mountain. I then retired the adventurer in a gobbo site before founding my vaporfort in a shrine(I had already killed the titan there with my adventurer).

Eventually, I got sieged by gobbos, of course. What I didn't expect was that their second siege was to be led by my old adventer, who still had all the scars I got in adv mode, and moreover, still had the book I got from the elf on the mountain. It was a tough battle, and several of my militiadorfs died. The book I got from my old adventurer was a nice reward, however.
>>
>>140114519
>climb the highest mountain in the world.
That's what I usually do as adventurer.
It's a shame there aren't any mountains that are challenging for climbers yet.
>>
>>140114789
There are many ways in which this can be improved:

>moving up slopes should be exhausting
>if you fall to the ground while on a slope tile(after becoming over-exhausted, for example), the game should check if any of the surrounding tiles are on a lower z-level, and if they are, you should tumble down, causing progressively increasing falling damage the longer you tumble(unless you manage to hold onto the walls)
>a higher climbing skill should make moving up slopes easier, and moving up slopes should train your climbing skill

That's what I can think of at the moment.
>>
>>140114789
How about the mountain ranges in Syria?
>>
>>140116289
That joke doesn't even remotely work. Even more so because the mountain ranges in Latakia are mostly under Government control again.
>>
jesus fuck, i hate this shitty bug-ridden game so fucking much. i turn off burrow for 3 fucking minutes to collect goblinite and this fucking happens. and not a dabbling furnace operator. not a novice fisherdwarf. A LEGENDARY FUCKING ARMOURER. THE ONLY ONE I HAD.

i'm so done
>>
>>140117152
I'm not sure what happened. Would you mind explaining in more detail?

I'm also not sure about what you meant by deactivateing the burrows for "three minutes". Do you always use the burrows? Or did you turn them off in the middle of a siege?

Also, it's not that much of a deal. A new decent armorer can be trained in a few months.
>>
>>140117152
Why the fuck your legendary armoursmith have any hauling enabled? You just called it yourself
>>
File: git-gud-o.gif (864KB, 320x180px) Image search: [Google]
git-gud-o.gif
864KB, 320x180px
>>140117152
>i hate this shitty bug-ridden game so fucking much
I see no bugs in what you have described.
> i turn off burrow for 3 fucking minutes
Do you always burrow? Why?

>anyone but useless peasants doing the hauling
Let this be a lesson to you.
>>
>>140114107
>>140114519
Yup, I went ahead and gave it the cleaned-corners treatment a couple threads back since it's got a nice... well... aesthetic.

>>140114018
Truth hurts. :D

>>140115148
It's fun when you find a really sheer section to scale, though it's scary when you just start going up without checking to see what your climbing skill is until you're 20+ z above the ground.

>>140117152
This is the root of the elfhate, yanno.

Trees can't be trusted.
>>
File: 1432148074829.png (102KB, 600x400px) Image search: [Google]
1432148074829.png
102KB, 600x400px
nvm, resurrected tosid with dfhack. this fucking shit almost get me tilted.

>>140117521
for some fucking reason dwarves climb into trees and then die of dehydration because they forget how to use gravity. and thanks to the new shitty "missing" system you don't know that your dorf is in the tree before spring overwrites your saves. it's a known bug and i lost dozens of dwarves to it. yes, even with stepladders. yes, i always use burrows so that dorfs don't
a. ignore my well, go to drink from pond, get spooked by a frog and drown
b. legendary mason go to chill out(throw up rather) in the sun, trigger a goblin rapesquad instead
c. to prevent EXACTLY THIS FUCKING SHIT.
>A new decent armorer can be trained in a few months.
you can't train +5 legendary and i have only so much waffles.
>>140117572
how the fuck is hauling related to this? there is nothing in the trees or above ground for him to haul.
>>
>>140118075
guys, there was no hauling involved, you fucking retards.
>>140118083
nah, elfhate stemmed from when you couldn't chop down 10 logs without these pansies complaining.
>>
File: dumbass.png (131KB, 229x256px) Image search: [Google]
dumbass.png
131KB, 229x256px
>>140118219
>to collect goblinite
>no hauling involved
>>
>>140118138
>There is nothing to haul
How about some goblinite on that ant woman?
>>
>>140117152
>>140118138
>>140118219
You could have just restricted your legendary dorfs to burrows mate. No need to be a cunt before clarifying.
>>
File: dank.jpg (55KB, 600x290px) Image search: [Google]
dank.jpg
55KB, 600x290px
>>140118845
>>
MATERIALS MOD GUY
>>
File: HolyFuckbats.png (150KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
HolyFuckbats.png
150KB, 1920x1080px
>>140118219
Yes, but we NEED to cut the trees down to prevent exactly this sort of shit. Trees can't be trusted, and neither can tree-sympathizers.
>>
>>140118845
goblinite vein was localised inside my fortress entrance, nowhere near that fucking tree.
>>
>>140121715
There is a fucking Ant woman up there. And she could be goblinite he was trying to get. Or he was hauling her dead body in your corpse pile
>>
>>140122247
that ant woman died 2 years ago to an bad case of ogres, what are you even talking about nigger?
>>
>>140122247
That's the unit screen, the dead/missing page.
>>
>>140122963>>140122941
Oh, now I get it. Sorry, thought it was some kind of DFhack feature, showing you dead units around cursor.
>>
File: TooDamnManyLairs.png (25KB, 272x272px) Image search: [Google]
TooDamnManyLairs.png
25KB, 272x272px
Blargh, made a megamonster world and lots of the lairs are too packed to approach without a segfault.
>>
>>140077484
Nethack is pretty much the mother of all roguelikes and dungeoncrawlers.
It also follows the same philosophy as dwarf fortress (complex mechanics, simple interface) and you have to be a surpreme neckbeard to actually enjoy it.
>>
>>140125709
>dwarf fortress
>simple interface
Ahem.
>>
>>140127363
"Ahem" right back at you, casual.
>>
>>140128464
>calling someone a casual in the nested nerdpile which is 4chan/vg/dfg/
>srsly
>>
anyone else experiencing problems building stairs atop of stairs? (mid air/next to a wall)

Some of them seem to go through, others not.
>>
>>140128721
>"muh sekrit klub"
>"no casuals come here"
>"it's all hardcore nerds"

Yes fucking srsly.
>>
>>140128908
There aren't nearly enough casual gamers in here screwing around and trying out the game, and that's a fact. Lots of other spots you can go and be bitchy and hostile at right here in /vg/ or further out in the rest of 4chan, or the rest of the internet, or hey, you can go cuss out pederasts on Tor/i2p/etc if you want!
>>
>>140118138
Certainly do not rely on autosave, why should you let it make that decision for you when it is going to overwrite the data?

Human oversight on this for saving the data.
>>
>>140128726
What level of play is your question at?

If you built stairs 'going up' then the next set on top of that would need to be stairs going down to connect to it (right?) and the X is both. Or are you way beyond me on this one
>>
>>140131206
I want to build a column like this:

down stairs
up/down stairs
up/down stairs
up/down stairs
up stairs

Next to a wall in order to reach a ledge, but sometimes dwarves just don't want to construct one of the up/down stairs.
>>
>>140132168
ok you answered me wellenough.
So now I dunno what is going on with that in your game.

I can throw some suggestion-darts, if you might choose to build a column next to the staircolumn to warm the labor force to the idea.
If the ledge is atop a plumb straight wall you might issue a dig order in to the wall next to the highest stairs you could build.

I am not liable for any injuries incurred in this construction if you do it.
>>
>>140130798
it's toady's oversight, actually.

creatures do this stupid shit with climbing and jumping when they're in combat. so a shitty fucking cat can spook dwarf into climbing into the bowels of hell itself.

so, the logical thing would be to make dwarves enter combat mode(actually toady should stop being a shitstain and designing his code in this imperative fashion. it's not 80s anymore ffs) and try to jump/climb path when they start starving, but toady is just shit at programming. i've just had to again deal with 8 stupid fucking crundels stunlocking 14 of my dorfs and sending 3 amongst them on top of nearest towercaps- all by just being terrified on the cavern ceiling.
>>
>>140133660
Sounds like something that would happen in .40, not in the current version. Dwarves aren't total wusses anymore.
>>
>>140133660
> but toady is just shit at programming
hasn't he been doing it for 30 years? How can he this bad at it?
>>
>>140133925
he has a math phd from stanford. i'm sure he's competent.
>>
>>140133918
Problem solutiable by running the more recent version maybe, but
problem also solutiable by running some of the older versions where trees keep their parts above their ankles to themselves.

Now I will have another reason to be phobic about upgrading because I have heard trees will harbor skeletal remains of dwarves they have lured.
>>
>>140134576
I always thought that Toady was defined by
"man that did not complete his math degree track," if he got his Ph.D. then his definitional frame is a bust.
>>
>>140136095
The obvious solution is to declare war on trees, isn't it?
>>
>>140133660
There is a trope in DF about how "things go wrong in hilarious ways."
That includes builders walling themselves in, but as we all know there are wiggle-around constructs to tackle that one, and so on.

You have a troublemaker dwarf living in your fortress? Just let them die, right? But then you still have the ghost of the troublemaker, they are still there and make trouble just they are dead. and so on. It makes it hard for me to assume that any inconvenient fetters or nettles are strictly an error.
>>
>>140136440
Treeson
>>
>>140056586
Wtf

What version/edition is this?
>>
>>140136291
>I always thought that Toady was defined by
what? Toady is literally a doctor. He was doing his post doc as a researcher, then became a professor for a year until he quit academia
>>
>>140136291
It was Academia that drove him away, not education. He's always been a fully educated mathematician.
>>
>>140136291

It was in the NYTimes article about him.
>>
>>140133660
Fucking weabos should be banned here
>>
>>140133925
No formal coding training. He's learned over the last couple decades, but only so much.
The greatest challenge Dorf Fort will ever face is going back to the code at the foundations of the game and optimizing and correcting it.
>>
>>140137094
underrated post
>>
>>140137094
>>140137216

I thoroughly enjoy DF and don't think much of anime anymore so it hurts me when i see loli and weeaboo shit in these DF thread. But then i remember that i'm on 4chan. Ugh the fact that i openly liked anime as a teenager makes me cringe with the force of a thousand suns
>>
so is loli just youthful characters?
>>
>>140137751
>tfw you wasted your high school years being an open weeaboo
I feel you, anon. I'm just happy that I eventually got my shit together.
>>
>>140138260
[T_WORD:BUTTERFLY:loli]
>>
File: fun.png (20KB, 315x161px) Image search: [Google]
fun.png
20KB, 315x161px
Well these will make for interesting decorations.
>>
>>140140734
hot
>>
File: scaredsiegeop.png (319KB, 1076x912px) Image search: [Google]
scaredsiegeop.png
319KB, 1076x912px
fuck... I had my siege ballista all set up for when the zombie hoard, which has been on my doorstep for too long now, wondered in its sights.
>my bitch siege dwarves were too scared to fire it because the zombies were too close -.-

pic related
>>
>>140145478
Siege weapons need like 20 tiles of space between them and the target cause the operators are pussies
>>
>>140136882
>>140136992
>>140137008
OK, but there was a time way way back
in the primordial mists
in the very dawn of DF
when Toady was defined by "man that did not complete his math degree"
and I for one have always held true to that table-driven entry for the author of DF.
But more recently, apparently that is a bust.
>>
>>140145883
I'm salty as fuck right now. i guess i'll move the ballista back a bit, closer to the operator's teddies and pillow forts
>>
>>140145975
I have never heard of this. I began playing DF back in 2008 and this was never a thing so I don't know what you're talking about
>>
>>140147295
He's not making sense.
>>
>>140145975
>"man that did not complete his math degree"
Toady was never defined like that. Go look at his posts from 2006 when he began working on DF full time. He said specifically that he was quitting his CAREER as a mathematician. He was already a PHD working his way up as a reseracher. That's what he gave up to work full time as a game dev
>>
>>140147295
>>140147359
>>140147790

I lose.
>>
File: definition of toady.png (11KB, 519x268px) Image search: [Google]
definition of toady.png
11KB, 519x268px
>>140147790
>Toady was never defined like that
He literally was, and still is.
>>
>Legendary female elf dancer guest
>is in my tavern because she heard it was 'the place to entertain people'

Mongrels aren't implemented, are they? I don't want little disgusting half-elves running around.
>>
>>140152268
build a wall
>>
>>140152268
Not yet, but they probably will be an option at some point.
>>
>>140153321
Didn't Toady confirm that he DID plan on implementing race-mixing(or should it be species-mixing, since "races" sort of already exist within each of the DF races?), but wasn't quite sure about how to go about doing it?
>>
>>140154432
Yeah, it'll probably end up with bugs where you can fuck a mug and half a half dorf half goblet child and then drink yourself from them.
>>
>>140154824
kek
>>
File: balding man thinking.jpg (700KB, 2360x1568px) Image search: [Google]
balding man thinking.jpg
700KB, 2360x1568px
>>140154824
>fuck a mug and half a half dorf half goblet child
>>
>>140154824
i can envision the specificity with which the jizzum will land
>>
Reminder (again) to remove the "(alpha release)" part from the dfhack and starter pack links next thread.
>>
File: yoko15.png (101KB, 261x271px) Image search: [Google]
yoko15.png
101KB, 261x271px
>>140158801
lmao

this ANON aint havin it HIS way
>>
>>140158969
Who is this seaman daemon
>>
File: loving the skin you're in.png (915KB, 730x607px) Image search: [Google]
loving the skin you're in.png
915KB, 730x607px
>mfw the elves pull their short jokes
>>
>>140158969
Waifufaggot please
>>
>>140155009
>>140155038
>>140155787
Oh lawd, I was running outside to mow the lawn before it rains and didn't check while typing.
>>
File: KeenCurses+1.png (15KB, 256x384px) Image search: [Google]
KeenCurses+1.png
15KB, 256x384px
Oh yeah, forgot to post this one in case someone is looking for a smaller text will be text tileset or just likes gaming in style on a smaller screen.
>>
File: 1438317775442.jpg (807KB, 1350x1359px) Image search: [Google]
1438317775442.jpg
807KB, 1350x1359px
>>
>>140166741
We can actually tell dorfs to do shit like that now!
>>
File: burngob.jpg (422KB, 2048x939px) Image search: [Google]
burngob.jpg
422KB, 2048x939px
>>
File: 1439567902472.png (34KB, 611x455px) Image search: [Google]
1439567902472.png
34KB, 611x455px
>>
File: DF odd animals.jpg (281KB, 2048x1723px) Image search: [Google]
DF odd animals.jpg
281KB, 2048x1723px
>>140170191
Were-Shrew?
>>
File: 1445644987367.png (335KB, 462x370px) Image search: [Google]
1445644987367.png
335KB, 462x370px
>>
>>140170621
I severely dislike the Loomer... all the SCP shit I was reading through the past few nights does little to endear it to me, but the box burro is quite amusing.
>>
File: 1440279375953.jpg (265KB, 1013x793px) Image search: [Google]
1440279375953.jpg
265KB, 1013x793px
>>
File: 1439423968467.png (104KB, 263x1023px) Image search: [Google]
1439423968467.png
104KB, 263x1023px
>>
File: Capture.jpg (12KB, 450x21px) Image search: [Google]
Capture.jpg
12KB, 450x21px
If I have this fucker killed, will it trigger a loyalty cascade or put me at war with wherever he's from?
>>
>>140174783
>put me at war with wherever he's from
probably not
> will it trigger a loyalty cascade
I know for a fact the answer is no here
>>
>>140176043
Rad, thanks
>>
Can I dig that wall behind the waterfall for mist?
>>
File: Untitled.jpg (590KB, 1920x1040px) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.jpg
590KB, 1920x1040px
>>140177017
whoosp
>>
File: i am AGRY.png (456KB, 518x468px) Image search: [Google]
i am AGRY.png
456KB, 518x468px
>>140177269
I hate your tileset, Anon.
>>
>>140177017
If by "mist" you mean "dead dwarves at the bottom of the river", then yes.
>>
File: laffin.png (281KB, 491x453px) Image search: [Google]
laffin.png
281KB, 491x453px
>>140177269
>all those corners left unsmoothed/unengraved due to statues
>>
File: Capture.jpg (29KB, 925x66px) Image search: [Google]
Capture.jpg
29KB, 925x66px
Damn, sorry Ingish
>>
>>140177269
Put fortifications there instead.
>>
>>140178656
> the assignment and removal of militia leaders matters historically

> all those times you added/removed militia leaders while fiddling with the military screen
fug, how many of my engravings are like this?
>>
File: ss+(2016-04-26+at+03.58.29).png (66KB, 1920x1041px) Image search: [Google]
ss+(2016-04-26+at+03.58.29).png
66KB, 1920x1041px
I'm serious, should I just burrow these guys to death? I'm afraid of wasting my first burrow placement (same anal feeling like the Stockpile) on them to realize I can't assign them to it,

Also the other screen is wonky, I reloaded after attempting to kill the "hostile" poets and visitors when the human mercenaries I ordered to kill them, kinda started killing each other. It's like a smol Human Loyalty cascade except a tad bit tenuous and may extend to humans also killing dwarves (the actually useful ones) which will lead to shit hitting the fan
>>
File: ngerxung.png (27KB, 688x450px) Image search: [Google]
ngerxung.png
27KB, 688x450px
>>140185469
>same anal feeling like the Stockpile
So you're THAT anon.
>>
raise from the grave
>>
File: Capture.jpg (11KB, 412x21px) Image search: [Google]
Capture.jpg
11KB, 412x21px
lewd
>>
File: Capture.jpg (15KB, 620x36px) Image search: [Google]
Capture.jpg
15KB, 620x36px
Fucking furries
>>
File: amiibo.png (963KB, 1123x767px) Image search: [Google]
amiibo.png
963KB, 1123x767px
Let me ask you this question my friends.

If an animal is bitten by a werebeast and survives, will the animal in question turn on the next full moon?
>>
How do I find vampires in adventure mode? I'm in the location he's supposed to be in
>>
File: ss+(2016-04-26+atjadedgeneral).png (109KB, 1420x835px) Image search: [Google]
ss+(2016-04-26+atjadedgeneral).png
109KB, 1420x835px
you guyscan guess whatever, idk even know what's possible for these 'limbo' merch and generals and nobles anymore

I also know whatever he builds is null and void seeing that the artifacts have no [can_be_contained] tag or whatnot, meaning they'll disappear for ever (or duplicate I've heard) every time the fort is retired and unretired

yeah I'm p jaded and shit so
>>
Begone page 10
>>
I think this actually works ; might have some collateral damage, but everyone important and labor-assignable is in the military permanently until further notice
>>
File: frog.png (51KB, 881x676px) Image search: [Google]
frog.png
51KB, 881x676px
>>
File: 1438900936086.png (36KB, 1268x794px) Image search: [Google]
1438900936086.png
36KB, 1268x794px
>>
File: 1439138268257.jpg (1MB, 2084x2318px) Image search: [Google]
1439138268257.jpg
1MB, 2084x2318px
>>
>>140196543
I noticed someone posting about a vampire that was on the circuit system of great undead, kept moving from town to town and was found in the player's fortress.
I don't know, how much experience do you have in adventurer mode before I try telling you anything about it. Have you found many Mayors and giants in their lairs?

Is the location the vampire is purported to be in some ramshackle place you built or is it a human town or something?
>>
File: DwarfFortressHammerTime.jpg (58KB, 500x397px) Image search: [Google]
DwarfFortressHammerTime.jpg
58KB, 500x397px
>>140185469
> all those merchants

> still alive
>>
>>140207371
yis and it was the most grueling task at the time while seeking him out, then destroying
looking at it in a different experience, it demanded slightly more from my intuition and troubleshooting in the context of using quests and rumors to one's advantage, or confusion and misleading but I digress

also going back to Fort mode I embarked on a SS-style holocaust starving the merchie's and killing the 'hostile' other units with exception of those very weird 'limbo-mercenaries' who somehow in their attempt I guess to leave the fort got stuck to the squad system, mmm that'll require some ironing
>>
File: 0d8.png (217KB, 490x356px) Image search: [Google]
0d8.png
217KB, 490x356px
>>140208921
stay your hammer and hold your horses my man, refer to here>>140201261
implemented a new policy of starving them in Ganadubbul'ingrad' and it is working so far, no deaths but in time
I am afraid of collataral damage, especially to my adventurers, since they aren't able to join squads, or do anything with labor systems afaik
>>
File: monster hunter.png (148KB, 1381x806px) Image search: [Google]
monster hunter.png
148KB, 1381x806px
Well that's horrific
>>
>>140214718
Please, explain.
>>
>>140196530

It probably needs the intelligent tag
>>
>>140217227
Lady Consorts are monsters that escaped from the underworld spire right?
>>
I have one war dog with a broken leg/smashed open toe who just keeps dragging himself across the fort trying to catch up with his owner. It's so sad...
>>
>>140220370

No, they're the partner of a lord
>>
Does wordsmith do anything in adventurer... ;_;

I took 5 points in it as well as speaker, speaker has gained maybe 1/8 a bar and wordsmith nothing, my stories are always pretty good.
>>
>>140220370
You might be thinking of Night creatures who convert normal intelligent creatures to their own species. In that case they'll be called something like "Night Gloom Spouse"
Also "underworld spires" no longer exist, however, the first goblin settlements do have a central tower that reaches hell, where their demon host resides.
Simply >>140221128
>>
>>140221648
http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2014:Wordsmith

always be reading that wiki for information on the new skills.
take only one level in reader, ever, and only if you want to become a necromancer.
>>
File: 1458812692665.jpg (24KB, 314x267px) Image search: [Google]
1458812692665.jpg
24KB, 314x267px
>>140224051

>Experience in Wordsmith is gained from writing and composing any verse, whether written or not.

I figured that to mean maybe it affected poems and speaking.
>>
File: lazybitch.png (16KB, 149x136px) Image search: [Google]
lazybitch.png
16KB, 149x136px
Did crossbows change in the latest version or what? Just brought a hunter on embark with profecient ambush, novice marksdwarf and there's available prey around but he won't go hunting.

Could it be because his bolts are not the same material as his weapon? Using a bronze crossbow with copper bolts. He just stands by the wagon with his stupid hunting dog.
>>
File: goodshit.png (18KB, 638x237px) Image search: [Google]
goodshit.png
18KB, 638x237px
>>140224794
Nevermind my boy out there hunting wild boar
>>
File: everything is fine.png (13KB, 725x226px) Image search: [Google]
everything is fine.png
13KB, 725x226px
>>140224276
>>
>>140220527
Yeah, sometimes you pity animals more than dorfs. Once I was testing my bridge system and accidently catapulted a kitten. Poor thing had three broken legs, broken ribs and was bleeding and vomiting a lot. Yet, while conscious, he was trying to get back to my fortress. This was heartbreaking to watch, so I butchered him and made a funeral meal using his meat.
>>
>>140227960
funeral meal sounds delicious
>>
File: 1455267709779.jpg (82KB, 480x640px) Image search: [Google]
1455267709779.jpg
82KB, 480x640px
>>140117152
>all those trees

you are asking for elf troubles
>>
>>140228041
Well, it was first masterpiece meal by my cook he also had high empathy, so I like to think he was doing his best, so I guess it was delicious.
>>
File: amxu animation.gif (685KB, 500x450px) Image search: [Google]
amxu animation.gif
685KB, 500x450px
begone page 10
>>
>>140229698
>Destroy a big chunk of trees
>Burn them
>World temperature goes up
>Glaciers are melting and water level is rising
>No dry land left
>Slaves to Armok: God of Blood. Chapter III : Dwarf Battleships
Ecology update when?
>>
happening soon
>>
>>140236615
>destroy a big chunk of trees
>use slash and burn agriculture
>let your lifestock graze the fields during fallow season

>the protective vegetation progressively degrades
>the bordering desert biome begins to expand
>your forests and fields are swallowed up by the desert
At least dorfs aren't dependant on the surface for their agriculture. It would still be a nice "fuck you" to the elves, though.
>>
File: ss+(2016-04-27+atthirstyafmofos).png (103KB, 1076x1037px) Image search: [Google]
ss+(2016-04-27+atthirstyafmofos).png
103KB, 1076x1037px
>>140236796
starving days are over, those that resisted hunger may live but spare no merchants
>>
>http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=146473.795
What the fuck?

Japa changed the the surrounding areas to look absolutely hideous, and Bay12 is PRAISING him for it? Sure, it may look ok from above, but imagine how it will look through the first person view, on ground level.
>>
>>140238414
>any sort of pseudonymous forum having any sort of taste

Extremely rare.
>>
>>140238576
It's just a matter of time before Japa totally ruins AV by forcing diagonal or rounded walls, and subsequently receives even more praise from brony12.
>>
>>140238414
>imagine how it will look through the first person view, on ground level.
I imagine it will look more consistent with the detailed view you see your immediate surroundings in.

Why don't you wait for first person screensh--
>>140238947
Oh now you're just shitposting. Is it so hard to try bumping the thread with a reasonable discussion instead of this bullshit?
>>
Why do my miners not channel a downward shaft but instead stop at like 2 z-levels
>>
>>140239056
I'm not. There are several people in the thread who suggested diagonal walls, and it's just a matter of time before Japa's judgement is swayed. I would go there and protest wildly against the idea, but that would require getting an account.

As for the surrounding area, look at this screenshot: http://i.imgur.com/ovGNymp.png

In the current AV version, if you looked at this cliff from the ground level, you would see a fairly natural/realistic looking mountain. With this new rendering method, however, all you would see would be a very unnatural/artificial looking wall extending to the sky.
>>
>>140239692
>you would see a fairly natural/realistic looking mountain
There is nothing natural or realistic looking about that smudgy piece of blur.
On the other hand that "unnatural artificial looking wall" is exactly the information DF has of that piece of terrain (if you haven't been there yet).

Moreover, it depends a lot on the exact situation you find yourself in.
Have you seen the Adventure mode video Japa posted? At the end when he finally exits the fortress, you see him standing in a tiny piece of visible tiles surrounded by a shapeless blur. You can't tell me that you think this looks good either.
With blocky map graphics, they're at least consistent with the blocky nature of the detailed tiles in DF.

Right now the two options are totally blocky, and completely blurred.
What about a style that uses the resolution of the detailed tiles to blur the big map chunks?
I'll see if I can draw something up.

Regardless, I don't see how these cannot be optional settings in a config file.
>>
I finally understand the difference between say "leopardskin" and "leopard leather" items are, the mat literally draws from the material properties of said animal, preserving the color of the skin or fur, instead of refining it to a brown leather.

ah thanks whomever posted his list of conveniences which included such a simple tweak weeks ago (not for aesthetic mainly for bulk skinning)
>>
File: interpolate.png (27KB, 2000x1383px) Image search: [Google]
interpolate.png
27KB, 2000x1383px
>>140240364
So instead of either completely interpolating on no interpolation at all, you interpolate up to the same resolution the detailed tiles have.
What's your opinion about this? I'm thinking about suggesting it to japa.
>>
>>140240364
>There is nothing natural or realistic looking about that smudgy piece of blur.
To be honest, I think that the AV horisont, as viewed from first person mode, is really impressive. Sure, the part where the local map meets the regional ditto looks a bit weird, but I still like how the regional map looks.

>With blocky map graphics, they're at least consistent with the blocky nature of the detailed tiles in DF.
At least it will be in tune with the current trend in indie games in general, and df/minecraft-clones in particular, namely having blocky, "ironically shitty" graphics. It's definitly not my cup of tea, and I suspect that many people are ready to agree with me.

I wouldn't have any complaints if the current rendering method remained as an option, though.
>>
>>140240827
>"ironically shitty" graphics
The point is that it represents the way DF works accurately.

In my opinion the old method makes it look like "actually shitty" graphics like you see them in really - really - bad 3D games or early 90s public sector 3D animations where you have a blocky model and apply a very basic interpolation to it.
>>
>>140241141
I'd still prefer a fuzzy shape somewhat resempling a mountain to a huge fucking cube in the middle of a flat plane, supposedly representing a mountain.

The regional map is primarily supposed to be a backdrop for the local map. It doesn't need to be THAT detailed. It does, however, need to actually resemble what it represents.
>>
File: DF1925.jpg (615KB, 1300x948px) Image search: [Google]
DF1925.jpg
615KB, 1300x948px
>>
Has anyone built a wall blocking immigrants and a Trump statue yet?
>>
>>140241372
The blocky representation isn't ideal either, no doubt about that - honestly at this point, I really would like to see how the third variant proposed here >>140240778 would look in Armok Vision.
>>
paper money when, Toady?
>>
File: bushdidit.png (304KB, 1125x989px) Image search: [Google]
bushdidit.png
304KB, 1125x989px
Well, guys.. i had too much fun just now. It's the end of my dwarf skyscraper
>titan spider that shoots webs appears
>oh shit i'd better seal the top of my skyscraper just in case the spider somehow manages to climb over my two-lip defence
>ok so i'll remove these stairs under the highest most ceiling and put floor there instead to seal the top of my skyscraper off
>stairs finished removing
>game lags for some reason, not saving ??
>next minute i see white cloads
>in the following seconds i realise my skyscraper did a 9/11 impression and collapses
>all the floors fall in and kill around 60 dwarves

oh fuck i spent two days of solid playing only to do the most dumbest shit and fuck up my lovely skyscraper

>pic related
>>
>>140244924
>dwarf skyscraper
The first thing that popped into my head regarding a building like that populated by dwarfs was pretty much the end point of the book High Rise.
>>
File: upper levels.png (134KB, 1117x909px) Image search: [Google]
upper levels.png
134KB, 1117x909px
>>140244924
here's an upper level to show how the middle fell in
>>
>>140245058
Yeah, i saw the trailer for that movie and it kind of inspired me. It was pretty cool. I think i'll let the spider in now and finish the rest of the dwarves.

oh well, it was fun i guess ;-;
>>
File: 1394380122662.jpg (27KB, 498x390px) Image search: [Google]
1394380122662.jpg
27KB, 498x390px
>>140238019
You only think that.
>>
>>140245208
Are the bottom levels full of bloodstained walls (probably dragged bloody handprints), miasma and vomit?
Are there functional pockets of surviving and (moderately) sane dwarfs?
>>
File: DemFeelsUrist.jpg (130KB, 779x634px) Image search: [Google]
DemFeelsUrist.jpg
130KB, 779x634px
>>140238414
They look better than the smooth grey hills of vagueness... which could be an actual place in a world now that I think about it.

>>140238947
Nah fuck you nigga, well done diagonals are nice looking (and fucking impossible to do right), and nobody was suggesting diagonal walls for AV. The blocky interpolation method seems the best, the blank hills are useless due to the seams, while the huge blocks are slightly more useful they're too jarring.

>>140244924
>kek'd fools can't help feel memes
>>
File: laughing.gif (26KB, 200x200px) Image search: [Google]
laughing.gif
26KB, 200x200px
>>140245739
>kek'd fools can't help feel memes
>>
>>140245973
My work here is done.
>>
Is there an image that exists or something that shows off all the skin/texture packs? Newb here about to start my first game
>>
>>140236615
Kek n chekd
>>
>>140247639
Don't use tilesets
>>
>>140247809
No offense, but my autism is only so powerful, i cant play a game with this much stuff just represented by characters
>>
>>140248010
>i cant play a game with this much stuff just represented by characters

That's exactly what a tileset will do though, the characters are just arguably more recognizable at first.
>>
>>140248010
You get used to it. You abuse the 'v' and 'k' keys and you eventually learn what each symbol is. I use a graphics set only because the tiles are rectangles in the original and the one i use has square tiles. Actually i like the vivid colours of a graphics set too.
I'm the skyscraper guy. I'm using the CLA's ASCII-like graphics set
>>
>>140248208
>>140248351
Ill probably have a go without a grahpics/tile set change first time around then, i would probably be able to play after a while but the only think i don't like too much is that if i were to make a fortress it would look a little weird, i'd like actual walls+floors that make it seem different from the rock and dirt surrounding it
>>
File: tileset guide.png (684KB, 4012x2524px) Image search: [Google]
tileset guide.png
684KB, 4012x2524px
>>140247639
>>
File: BigaSquareAscii.png (105KB, 576x576px) Image search: [Google]
BigaSquareAscii.png
105KB, 576x576px
>>140248823
That is why I did these:

>>140081448
>>140073713
>>140112776
>>140166635

So you can have it zoomed in and see what things are at a glance, or zoom out and see more of the map (plus having it reduce down to a virtual copy of the vanilla curses tilesets) though I did include the transparent backgrounds on tiles used for ground/some furniture/certain map tiles. Though the aesthetic set there was designed for use with the pink/purple vaporwave colorscheme originally it is still an interesting looking style with vanilla colors too.

Oh and there's this, a larger version of the Bisasam set I used for a year or so and then reconstructed ascii characters from for stuff like the beds and statue, I'll provide it in the (Big As A Motherfucker, Bigasam) square form here.
>>
File: sore eyes.png (473KB, 735x589px) Image search: [Google]
sore eyes.png
473KB, 735x589px
>>140250512
>that tileset
>>
>>140206509

I’ve seen this image a few times but why aren’t the stated powers of the creatures displayed there atually in the raws.
>>
File: 1377796329203.jpg (95KB, 1024x718px) Image search: [Google]
1377796329203.jpg
95KB, 1024x718px
So, can demons ever manage to fool humans into worshipping them in this version? The only way I could imagine it happening is if some demon ruler of goblins was captured in war, then escaped and worked its way up to impersonating a god, which would be extremely rare if possible at all and I've never seen it.
>>
>>140251331
Likely because the creator never finished it and that picture was from a work in progress.
>>
>>140251656
>captured in war
Normally, civs don't do this. I think slaving civs get their slaves from defeated enemies, though, so it might be possible. I don't think the enslaved demo would "work itself up", though. It would likely just become some random slave hanging out in a hamlet somewhere, waiting for an adventurer to come and rescue it.
>>
>>140251892
I think he finished it and then lost it, actually.
>>
>>140252087

Yeah but sometimes they can be freed (or escape?) right? Maybe if goblins A captured the demon of goblins B, then humans A freed the demon it would enter human society as a normal person and then have the opportunity to become a god impersonator.

But I guess it doesn't occur in game anymore typically right?
>>
>>140252174
Well that's incredibly unfortunate. I keep all of my modded files in my dropbox.
>>
>>140252816
Goblins don't take slaves the same way as human slaving civs currently do. All goblin "prisoners" are actually just kidnapped children. When those children mature, they get their freedom back and become full fledged citizens. Meanwhile, the "slaves" that some human civs use stay slaves through all their lives.
>>
>>140253081

Perhaps if humans A captured the demon, then humans B freed the demon and it rose to power in humans B?
>>
>>140253152
Perhaps, but that assumes that humans A don't just exectue the demon in the first place(interestingly, almost all demon deaths in legends mode are either due to getting executed after a military defeat, or getting stabbed in the back by one of their own subordinates).
>>
>You must yield!
>>
>>140244924
Fucking hiliarous.
>>
guys, i just realised how grimdark my world is.

1. my civ is the only dwarf civ
2. every year liason reports a few of our sites conquered. presumably by goblins
3. i get 0 dwarf visitors. it's mostly gobs and some humies

so. how the fuck do i preserve light of civilization before world is overran by the creatures of darkness? i have switched to military composed fully of mercs. i make sure to slaughter every siege thoroughly, yet we still are losing sites.
>>
File: six.png (45KB, 536x1889px) Image search: [Google]
six.png
45KB, 536x1889px
>>140258823
>>
>>140258823
Play adventure mode
Create a whipper

DESTROY
THEM
ALL
>>
>meeting area is covered in spiders, ticks, lice, worms and snails/slugs
pls no
>>
>>140261664
Spiders mean silk, though.
>>
So I just updated my shit and now I can't use alt + m to make mining easier and I can't click on things like rocks to see what type it is. Halp
>>
>>140261934
describe in detail what "I updated my shit" means.
What did you download where, what did you have before, where did you get that from (include version numbers), did you use an old world or save, or generate a new one?

How did you update? A new folder? just drop it into the old one?
What else are you using? Starter pack? Graphic set? DFhack?
Did you use the same things before?
>>
>>140261934
This is why you should learn how the vanilla game works BEFORE you start using DFHack.

DFHack is great, and I always use it if possible. It's not a good sign if you're completely lost without it, though.
>>
>>140261934
Nigga, learn to play Dorf Fort before Dorf Hack.
>>
>>140262330
Like I just downloaded the newest LNP and started completely fresh from there.
I can't designate zones by clicking one corner and then the opposite corner.
I also tested out laptop controls but then switched back to regular vanilla controls on the LNP screen so that might be why? Sorry if this doesn't make a lick of sense
>>
>>140239145
I don't remember the channel command being applicable to greater Zdepths. There is a natural problem that must be faced, of how to be there to do the work and not end up at the bottom of a pit with no egress.

I am thinking a staircase down a couple of spaces removed from the vertical shaft, every other Z-level or so connect the shaft to the access stair. When complete carefully block off those connections with walls if you are filling the shaft with liquid (or accept flooding the stairway also) or - fortifications if you want ventilation and/or to exchange combat shots with what may be in the shaft.
>>
>>140262878
>Like I just downloaded the newest LNP and started completely fresh from there.

From where? Include the link you found it from. Tell me the version number.
Which version did you have before?

Again, how did you update? A new folder? just drop it into the old one?

It seems like you're missing some dfhack functionality, so either you made some mistake installing, or the functions changed.

Read the dfhack changelog and documentation, maybe there's something in there.
>>
>>140262878
Just start playing the proper way.

>I can't use alt + m to make mining easier
Just 'd-d' like everyone else.

>I can't click on things like rocks to see what type it is
Use 'k' to briefly examine the contents of a tile. Use 't' to check up on items inside buildings(it's also used for examining furniture closer). Use 'q' to interact with buildings. Use 'v' to interact with units on the map.

>I can't designate zones by clicking one corner and then the opposite corner.
Just use 'i' to get to the zone designation manu. The corners can be placed using the arrow keys.
>>
>>140247809
Yeah. Don't start with the tileset malarkey.
>>
>>140251331
Vaporware. A drawing with some implied data that is not really there.
I need to call my broker
>>
>>140251656
The horse of your thought trains ran awfully deep into theology and metaphysics for a two-sentence post, anon.

There are conceptual constructs to think about and if you construct a world model like DF you are going to need to construct those constructs.
>>
File: Curses+1To1Point2.png (13KB, 480x576px) Image search: [Google]
Curses+1To1Point2.png
13KB, 480x576px
>>140250616
>your eyes

>>140251656
Creatures with [POWER] can take over any civ that has site positions.
>>
>>140261664
pls help the animals are sad and I dont allow sadness in the fort
I put them in a pen but they're still covered in bugs, do I flood them with small amounts of water or something?
>>
>>140265630
The bugs are always there. Everywhere. They just become revealed if something goes rooting around in the mud and dirt.
Do you have geese? Pigs?
>>
>>140265709
Turkeys, Drakes, Ducks, Roosters and Hen + Ewe.
Strangely enough I've never seen them beforehand so I guess I've taken an animal I've never taken before.
Thanks, anon.
>>
>>140265887
Chickens do the rooting around stuff.
>>
>>140251656
Tangentaly related counteroffer.

The game program has Fantastic Beasts.
What is generated as a 'human deity' should be termed a Fantastic Man instead, having a trait of being incorporeal with a center that is somehow in a metaphysical place that the ordinary mortals have never been able to touch.

uh so then, Fantastic Dwarf with that and I suppose the metaphysical place of Fantastic Dwarves that could never be touched is sort of like an entry on the Table of Elements?
>>
what does temperature even do?

i turned it off and magma still evaporates water. is it just there to eat fps?
>>
File: dwarfsx0.jpg (7KB, 211x228px) Image search: [Google]
dwarfsx0.jpg
7KB, 211x228px
Doing a little DF stream if anyone wants to chill.

/strizzistream
>>
File: toady shiggy.jpg (23KB, 252x265px) Image search: [Google]
toady shiggy.jpg
23KB, 252x265px
>>140268531
>live streaming DF
>>
>>140263087
Yeah that's what I do normally
>>
>>140268468
that's weather.

Objects may still "have a temperature" how can they not? It would be a strange lame simulator game where fire were not hot and water has a glass shield over it's surface.
>>
>>140263445
I have never used DFhacks and dont know much about. I've always played vanilla DF. From what i've read here it's mainly a program that lets you use the mouse? Is dfhacks worth looking into and using?
>>
>>140268782
So if you could designate an 8-level deep channel in one command, the dwarf would dig it and on completion would be at the bottom of it.

In this game the laborer has to stand somewhere while they perform a labor and if the place they stand on is 'a fail' then so is their work. (This sentence sounds like theology again don't it?)
>>
>>140269480
I suspect that there are game aids out there that can allow you to muck around directly with the inworld data files not otherwise open to the player.

Have you ever cracked the game NetHack and split out and swapped dungeon levels; it's a type of cheating that 'hacks' the game.
I do not have DFhacks so I am speaking blindly.
>>
>>140268692
It's FUN
>>
>>140269480
It's a program that reads and manipulates DF's memory directly, so it works as an interface to let other programs (scripts, plugins, external programs) get data from and send to dfhack.

The applications of these programs range from bugfixing, cheating, and minor usability improvements to drastically improved UI (dwarf manipulator, livestock management, better construction, etc), as well as external programs for 3D visualization of your fortress and the world (armok vision, isoworld, stonesense) and general graphical improvements (TWBT).
It's not uncommon that some of those introduce instabilities that may crash DF. So save often.

tl;dr:
You as user don't directly "use" dfhack, you use the programs that rely on it. It's worth using if these programs seem worth using to you.

still tl;dr:
Yes. But don't complain if DF crashes and you lose progress.
>>
>>140266320
ah the untouchable metaphysical space,
could be termed "up in the softwhere."

The table-generated deities are just up in the softwhere and you can't punch them in the nose.
>>
>>140270186
Thanks! You cleared it up for me. I think id only use it to see my base from a 3D perspective. The vanilla game mechanics are great as is IMO
>>
anybody here know if we can use artefact armour in military?

just had my furnace operator craft admantine greaves, tried to give them to my champion but he refuses to wear them.
>>
>>140270285
>The table-generated deities are just up in the softwhere and you can't punch them in the nose.
As of yet, that is.

The myth arc will totes change this. It will allow us to jump onto a flying egg shell shard, bigger than a continent, and crash it through the floor of the celestial plane itself.
>>
>>140270632
Hazardous operation of a celestial plane without a Pilate.
>>
>>140268468
Pretty sure it allows water to freeze/melt due to seasons, very sure it allows objects (as opposed to tiles) to melt/combust when touched with magma.
>>
>>140271018
My experiences of turning off temperature is that it disables thawing, but not freezing, making adventure mode utterly unplayable.
>>
if I for instance want soil in my really deep underground, is dropping caverns/ground layers ithe only way?
>>
>>140272232
what do you want soil for?
>>
>>140272232
Unless this has changed in the last year or so, tiles generated as subterranean can only be muddied. Even if you soiled them (heh), they wouldn't grow above-ground crops.
>>
>>140272232
Irrigate with water.
It's pretty easy.
>>
>>140272514
mud =/= soil
>>140272232
nope
>>
File: gremlintears.png (940B, 630x14px) Image search: [Google]
gremlintears.png
940B, 630x14px
How did they get enough for a whole barrel i wonder
>>
>>140272442
Major grass growing for animals, dropping chunks in works really well but I hate doing that since aquafiers are bugged when it comes to caverns right now, as your dropped tiles can turn into aquafiers as well.
>>
File: SlabHax.png (37KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
SlabHax.png
37KB, 1920x1080px
>>140270186
Yeah, the closest you get to directly fucking with the shit from memory is gm-editor which isn't really safe to play with fully, hence why it defaults to letting you edit units and items and shit.
>>
>>140269712
Actually they are quite capable of digging straight down forever. The issue arises when they get a few z-levels down and decide to climb out of the pit, thereby making the floor of the pit inaccessible.

A workaround is to, as has been mentioned, dig a parallel staircase; or prevent the dwarf from exiting the pit through some means.
The issue here being that when they inevitably hit the caverns and fall to their death that... well, that they fall to their death.
>>
>>140272782
I keep getting gremlin sweat barrels from caravans
>>
File: DorfyGoddess.png (55KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
DorfyGoddess.png
55KB, 1920x1080px
>>140270632
>they haven't become god, made others into gods, and punched god in the brain
>>
>>140270626
Of course.
[m], [e], highlight soldier, [L]egs, assign.
If he won't, make sure his equipment is set to [r]eplace clothing.
>>
>some migrants have arrived
>check it out
>its literally just ONE hen
what
>>
>>140274434
I'm pretty sure you didn't look hard enough, fampai.
>>
>>140274434
So it's begun, the chickens are revolting, and the age of the egg-eaters is over.
>>
>>140275193
The soap maker and planter I found dead in the water, and whilist searching my expedition leader decided for some reason take a head dive into a pit and bleed all over it.

Without hesitation, I have butchered the hen, for it is no doubt evil.
>>
File: 1348010330952.jpg (356KB, 800x626px) Image search: [Google]
1348010330952.jpg
356KB, 800x626px
Just recently saw the tooltips for the instruments and instrument parts; very nice.
>>
File: 1445191663379.jpg (304KB, 838x1300px) Image search: [Google]
1445191663379.jpg
304KB, 838x1300px
>>140279453
Better watch out bruv
>>
>>140272617

mud works for farming
>>
>>140272617
A subterranean rock tile covered with mud will eventually get cave flora growing on it, effectively turning it into soil.

Just being muddy will enable farming on it, as well.
>>
>>140245208
Do u restore game?
>>
>>140274197

There are monotheists, there are pantheists, there are atheists,
and then there are deopugilists.

Deopugilists just want to punch that god in the nose.

The monotheists look at the deopugilist and say "you cannot possibly do that."
The atheists looks at the deopugilist and say "you cannot possibly do that."
( This is one of the rare areas where atheists and monotheists agree.)

The pantheist looks at the deopugilist and says "oh OK."
So the pantheistic personality is being sociable to the deopugilist and the atheist and the monotheist personality is therefore unsociable.
If you believe 'nice makes right' therefore you would prefer the pantheist because of being agreeable to the deopugilist.

( I do not happen to subscribe to the presmise that 'nice makes right' quite that simply.)
>>
I tried gemset for the last few days and quite enjoyed seeing coffins not appear in place of my numbers and lettering, and worldgen staying the same, but my god, thanks to DFhack this crashes WAY TOO OFTEN.
>>
>>140284039
I must thank you for introducing the word deopugilist to me, it's very funny since I just started reading Feng Shen Ji. I had meant to for a while but I saw someone mention it coming to an end recently and decided to pick it up.
>>
>>140281834
You mean IRL?

I flooded a large chalk field to try and get grassland out of it but it just stayed muddy forever. (Years ago now though, this could have been updated FAIK.)
>>
>>140284196
I am actually bad with my coining new words,
it makes my online material illegible

but deopugilist is fated to be a coined word that goes into circulation because it's funny and ridiculous.
>>
>>140284431
Was in on a mountain biome? Shit won't grow in mountain biomes. Sure, there will be some grass there when you start, but after your stupid animals graze it, it won't grow back.

In any other biome(including subterranean biomes), the local flora(grasses, bushes and even trees) WILL invade the muddy tiles.
>>
>>140285067
Usually subterranean biomes start forming to me on above ground dug out soil
>>
>>140284683
I was torn because I wanted to say theopugilist but then it just sounds like an abusive episode of the Cosby show, right?
>>
File: 1412787051611.png (356KB, 691x426px) Image search: [Google]
1412787051611.png
356KB, 691x426px
>>140268531
I'm not a fan of facecams, you want to use yours and that's fine. But can you _PLEASE_ fullscreen the fucking game and put your cam in the bottom right?
So much wasted screenspace on an ugly overlay...
>>
>>140268692
DF is one of those games where a text format works far better. Too much tedium to get to the interesting parts in livestreams.
>>
File: 1461788101783.png (420KB, 745x701px) Image search: [Google]
1461788101783.png
420KB, 745x701px
does anybody have that picture of the male and female dorf eating adamantine and shitting out strands?

I need it for hair references
>>
File: strand extraction1.jpg (517KB, 1200x700px) Image search: [Google]
strand extraction1.jpg
517KB, 1200x700px
>>140290556
Here ya go, famallama.

It's from The Adventures of Likot Udendeb. It's slav humour at its finest, and in a DF setting too.
>>
File: image.png (142KB, 400x533px) Image search: [Google]
image.png
142KB, 400x533px
>>140291059
Im sorry at first the leftmost panels reminded me of joy, deep deep in my heart
>>
File: elfaboos.png (402KB, 745x701px) Image search: [Google]
elfaboos.png
402KB, 745x701px
>>140290556
>>140291059
>>
>>140293564
Utterly mediocre desu
>>
>>140287602
Will do next time thanks!
>>
File: talk shit get hit.jpg (76KB, 500x389px) Image search: [Google]
talk shit get hit.jpg
76KB, 500x389px
>mfw rude elven diplomats
>>
Fucking page 10, begone foul beast!
>>
File: rocking intensifies.gif (2MB, 270x253px) Image search: [Google]
rocking intensifies.gif
2MB, 270x253px
Will he ever stop rocking and start giving a fuck?
>>
>>140304643
>Tarn "He, He, He" Adams
>giving a fuck
>ever
>>
>>140271681
It disables thawing and freezing during play, so liquids remain liquid forever and solids never ever melt.

All it does is just make it so nothing ever gets warmer or colder. If you turn off temperature while somebody is freezing/boiling to death, they'll still die from the temperature. They also won't be able to warm up or cool down.
>>
File: MayorWhatHow.png (86KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
MayorWhatHow.png
86KB, 1920x1080px
>>140306494
Reminds me of sleeping with Faye Dunaway.

*cigar tap and eyebrow waggle*
>>
I hope weapons play into myths like civilizations giving enemy weapons names
>>
>>140304643
>PC Gamer
So, you’ve been working full time—more than full time, as full time is eight hours a day I guess—you’ve been working double-full time for years on Dwarf Fortress, and you’re totally engaged the whole time? You’re never like, ‘Man, I need a week off?’

>Tarn Adams
The 100-hour weeks are not all necessarily on Dwarf Fortress. It’s, like, 80:20 or something, and the 20 is side projects and stuff. Oftentimes the side projects that I spend time on, 3-4 hours in the evening. You sit in front of the TV and not watch it, with a laptop on your lap, writing a myths generator or something, right? That’s kind of how it goes.
>>
This had to be my best fight so far, I was a bit doubtful sending my king off to glory or death; some day that old geezer has to die but Lolor's been throwing curve balls at good ol RNG and survived against, well predictable odds. I was hoping the water would serve as some form of buffer against the FB, and if he got constantly doused in fire and ice, he'd be fiiiiiine. Theoretically.
>>
>>140289259
Not everyone think it's boring though. I find it pretty chilling to watch other people play and see how they think about different aspects of the gameplay. Makes you better and gives you ideas to use in your forts.
>>
>>140315478
The tileset looks sexy.
>>
>>140315798
That's the little version of this: >>140265458 actually.
>>
Nap bump.
>>
It used to be that if I played adventure mode, I would get some lag (as in nothing happens for 2-3 seconds and then it all happens at once) when I was holding a move button in a particular direction. I basically assumed it was just the game having to render my FOV.

Now it seems that there's a slight lag nonstop when I play adventure mode. Like pressing 6 will cause my character to move to the right after .5 to 1 second.

It's pretty irritating and makes adventure mode somewhat unplayable. Anyone know why this is happening and how I can solve it?
>>
>>140323069
What's your GFPS set to?
>>
>>140323768
Is that the number in parentheses next to FPS? Not at home, so I can't check, but it almost always says 100 (25) next to FPS.
>>
>>140323913
Check your init settings. GFPS is what lesser games call FPS, how many times per second the screen updates. If your GFPS is set low you won't see results until after you do things because multiple things can happen in the time DF waits before updating the screen.
>>
>>140285067
Oh. Yeah it was mountain, and I did not know about that.

Thanks for that tip and see, how we do need a forum like this one. I wouldn't have gotten that off of wikipedia and I am afraid to go hang out at Bay12games.

Fourchan is so easy-in, easy go.
>>
>>140286424
One prefix from Greek and one from Italian or Latin, you would think coining words I would know what component metals I was melting in but no I am not sure whether pugilist is Latin or Greek. (Available info no doubt, just have to keep the mental laziness up high enough.)
>>
>>140324213
Alright, I'll take a look at that when I get home and mess around with it to see if it makes a difference. Thanks.
>>
>play again after years off
>get my derusting run on fine
>well it's been a while, I think i'll play on an evil biome, you just get some zombies right?
>right away It's raining putrid filth!
>injures all my dwarves
>a cloud of gaseous piss floats in and I have to cower in a hole because who knows what that does
>yak i butchered comes back to life as a walking skin and kills 2 dwarves

well shit
I guess it's not so easy anymore.
>>
>>140325316
Yeah all kinds of weird shit happens. I was near a spooky swamp and some undead ravens appeared after a few seasons and just started picking off any dwarf that went outside.

If you let a world run for 500+ years, you're more likely to encounter extremely powerful roaming titans as well. A steel one came upon my fort a few weeks ago, I was not remotely equipped to deal with it and it killed about 3/4 of my population before settling in an uninhabited portion of my map.
>>
File: Taverns.png (125KB, 1382x806px) Image search: [Google]
Taverns.png
125KB, 1382x806px
Is this the normal amount of esoteric visitors that come seeking out your taverns /dfg/?

The lady consorts youngest daughter showed up right after she did! I wonder if they both want employment or just passing through
>>
>>140325316
BEWARE THE DEAD
>>
File: wat.png (6KB, 913x163px) Image search: [Google]
wat.png
6KB, 913x163px
Any takers on how much this will fetch?
>>
>>140334243

>>
File: square armor of spikes.png (31KB, 1362x762px) Image search: [Google]
square armor of spikes.png
31KB, 1362x762px
>>140334318
close!
>>
File: bitch.jpg (23KB, 686x97px) Image search: [Google]
bitch.jpg
23KB, 686x97px
GO TO WORK PLEASE
>>
>>140338693

Old version? Pretty sure they just party now 24/7
>>
File: speechless.jpg (64KB, 617x163px) Image search: [Google]
speechless.jpg
64KB, 617x163px
DUDE, WOW.

My hunter was fighting a walking WRECKAGE of a Giant Hamster in the edge of the map and he completely disappeared.

Motherfucker got killed by the hamster in the pic. Never knew they were this tough.
>>
>>140339578
As a side note; is there a way I can equip my hunter with more than just a crossbow?

Creating a squad for hunters and assigning them weapons through the military menu would totally work, r-rite?
>>
>>140339952

no it would conflict with his worn stuff

but you can now use military for hunting anyway assuming they're fast enough
>>
they just won't give up
second time Lolor of the waters struck down one of these
>>
>>140268531
sandly, this >>140268692

the only reasonable way to livestream DF is in a gimmick world where difficulty is at the maximum fun and the military is in full swing, or if you're running an already-established fortress that's merely following dwarves on their day-to-day life exploring the vastness of what's already been built, with minimal interruption.
The best part about the second one is in the next update, it'll be possible to completely avoid pausing the game ever again.
>>
I have dozens of large pots and some barrels too, yet my still is saying I need a container for booze.

I tried designating a pile that has some pots in it to my still but that didn't work.

Tried making another still, same result.

Anyone know what's the deal?
>>
>>140345249
This seems to happen everywhere honestly, and in a lot of my games. Right now I've got 21 adamantine strands but my dwarves won't make wafers because "no strands."

Is this a common bug?
>>
>>140345249
>>140346829
Some jobs require multiple items.
For stockpiles which are specifically set to "give" items to a workshop, that workshop will only look through stockpiles it's taking from... Thus generate cancellations because it doesn't have access to ALL the items it needs.

To operate a still which is being given rock pots by a furniture stockpile, you also need to setup a food stockpile to have brewable plants be given to the still.

To operate a normal non-magma smelter in making adamantine wafers, which is being given adamantine strands, you need a fuel source too... so you need to make a bars>coal stockpile set to give to that smelter as well.

also if all your available items are tied up in a give-to-workshop stockpile, the default all-access workshops won't be able to find any resources either.
Generally, give-to-workshop command is special. Stay away from it until you really know how it operates.
>>
>>140347645
>a normal non-magma smelter in making adamantine wafers...
i'm a dumbass, i was thinking of normal metal bars. to make adamantine wafers, you only need a magma smelter and available wafers

make sure the smelter itself isn't forbidden, and that the dwarf can in fact move to it.
and again, make sure the stockpile with the wafers isn't set to give to anything... or if it is, that it's also giving to the magma smelter you want the adamantine wafers to be made at.
>>
>>140346829

workzones probably
>>
>just chilling in my tundra fort
>play Bleach OST - 'Invasion' unironically
>Vile force of darkness arrives
>mounted peeps

whoa bro
>>
>>140347952
It can also be a regular smelter
>>
File: so i was chillin at home.jpg (208KB, 625x431px) Image search: [Google]
so i was chillin at home.jpg
208KB, 625x431px
>>140348361
>chillin
>>
>>140339578
Have you ever been bitten by a hamster? Their teeth are godsdamn huge. Now imagine one the size of a hippo.

>>140339952
>>140340197
Give them hunting animals or set them up as a squad with a patrol route that takes them through wildlife areas.
>>
>>140350989
yeah its p punny
cuz chillin, in a tundra embark
>>
Does anyone else here think that meadhalls were a mistake?

They are far to large in comparison to the humble keeps in the cities(why should some small time noble in the countryside have a bigger seat of power than the law-giver him-/herself), and they are generated the EXACT same way as all other dungeons in the game. Despite being the dwelling of a noble, they don't seem very livable. They don't even have a bedroom. The only piece of furniture that is placed with any sort of comfort in mind is the throne in the throne room.

Also, has Toady ever gone out and told us why the keeps in the towns only have one room now? They were far better in .34, where they still had multiple rooms.
>>
>>140354364
I don't disagree that they might be worse than what we had before (though I don't even remember to be honest), but that's probably a necessary transitional state for an eventual improvement.

Having chasms and flooding and economy etc was better than having none at all too, but there's no way around throwing them out to put a better system in place one day.

No timeline though. It's an ongoing process, he, he, he.
>>
File: meme12.png (36KB, 705x540px) Image search: [Google]
meme12.png
36KB, 705x540px
>bay12
>"modding community"
>>
File: 1460240701530.jpg (59KB, 453x439px) Image search: [Google]
1460240701530.jpg
59KB, 453x439px
>>140355480
Oh god...
I hope they aren't long therm players.
>>
>>140355563
*term
for fuck's sake
>>
>>140354364

I like them but agree the keeps should be much bigger, nicer castles.
>>
File: advanced civilization mod.png (3KB, 272x99px) Image search: [Google]
advanced civilization mod.png
3KB, 272x99px
>>140355563
>"insectoids"
>the very first race they mention are spider people
>they literally just created the name by taking the latin name and changing the last morpheme into nonsense
>they get a colour-coded "evil variant"
Is this what a world ruled by 12 year olds looks like?
>>
how does one stop being a hearth person to a lord, or remove oneself from the starting group he belonged it? Like reverting to say outcast like, without any civ to call home (yet)
>>
>>140357072
As far as I know, you shouldn't be able to lose your citizenship. You should be able to stop being a hearthsperson by asking your lord, but you'll still be a citizen under the local government.
>>
What has changed since the introduction of uh... was it called "active world"? Meaning that the world can continue to evolve around you.
>>
>>140358435
Yeah, world activation. Not much that will directly affect you, desu. The world continues to progress while you play in fortress mode. So sites will be conquered, resettled, civilizations will go to war, etc. It's pretty neat
>>
>>140358714
I know, it's pretty great! I meant since the introduction of that, has anything notable changed? Or is it all bugfixes?
>>
File: changes-1-15.png (266KB, 1000x4030px) Image search: [Google]
changes-1-15.png
266KB, 1000x4030px
>>140358435
>>
I like how almost all my artifacts have a picture of The Dip of Creeds the large, serrated adamantine disc.
>>
File: J_dwarf.jpg (39KB, 350x334px) Image search: [Google]
J_dwarf.jpg
39KB, 350x334px
Is there a way to remove someone in a fey mood from the workshop?

More detail:
>have 1 anvil (default embark because I love FUN)
>extremely savage area (been fighting nature since day 0)
>finally dig deep enough for ore
>first silver ingot being smelted
>metal-smith thinks we can all take it casually and fey moods and occupies the fucking forge
>Savage shit keeps appearing and I only have like 2 armed dorfs
>fucker starts requesting shit that I won't be able to provide until FUCKING SUMMER (it's autumn)

I want this fucker dead
>>
>>140361018
Kill him or deconstruct workshop in question.
>>
>>140361483
Can't deconstruct, it won't let me.
Not allowed to kill him either.
>>
File: tn_1245227653282.jpg (16KB, 220x180px) Image search: [Google]
tn_1245227653282.jpg
16KB, 220x180px
>>140361018
>he doesn't keep a small supply of all mood-requestable items in a separate emergency stockpile

>>140361859
>not allowed to kill him
>implying you need permission
>>
File: Screenshot 2016-04-28 07.42.58.png (32KB, 1280x1024px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot 2016-04-28 07.42.58.png
32KB, 1280x1024px
This is the second time i've had ambushes that send me to a undiscovered underground tile. Does anyone know what it might be?
>>
>>140362507
It's a reclaim bug that happens in world gen forts. It usually just happens a few times in the beginning.
>>
File: Screenshot 2016-04-28 07.44.20.png (31KB, 1280x1024px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot 2016-04-28 07.44.20.png
31KB, 1280x1024px
>>140362507
3rd time, different place.
>>
>>140361859
Hmm, how about small cute local cave-in? I'm afraid it will also destroy your silver bars, but hey! you will get your anvil back.
>>
>>140362586
This isn't a world gen fort, though I am reclaiming.
>>
>>140362718
Probably still a reclaim bug.
>>
>>140362000
>he doesn't keep ...
I just started playing. I have nothing of anything.
>implying you n....
Apparently I can't instruct my military to kill him.

Now go be a sharp eared treehugger somewhere else.

>>140362715
That worked, thanks. Also there were no bars in the shop at the time, which makes things even better.
>>
File: goblin scholar.png (196KB, 509x446px) Image search: [Google]
goblin scholar.png
196KB, 509x446px
>The writing is as vicious as can be.
>>
>>140366272
>Apparently I can't instruct my military to kill him.
I was implying you're not creative enough to kill him.
>>
>>140374321
And I was implying you're an elf.
>>
File: 013_02_08_2012_06_54_36.jpg (64KB, 379x339px) Image search: [Google]
013_02_08_2012_06_54_36.jpg
64KB, 379x339px
>>140374992
>can't find a roundabout overcomplicated way to kill a creature without help
>calls others elves
>>
File: values.png (122KB, 1000x1500px) Image search: [Google]
values.png
122KB, 1000x1500px
>>140375209
Daily reminder that cruelty is an Elven trait in the DF universe. Dwarves are by far the most politically correct of all DF races.
>>
>>140376325
>murder
>acceptable if you have a good reason

One elf's idea of a good reason might be different than another elf's.
Checkmate elf cunts
>>
>>140376531
No, because they all rub their dicks on wood.

Their women do it too.
>>
>>140377062
Why would murder be acceptable in elven culture if all elves never disagree?
>>
File: elven shame.png (3KB, 389x88px) Image search: [Google]
elven shame.png
3KB, 389x88px
>>140377062
this, tbhdesu
>>
>>140340378
Yeah? Well, I killed a bear.
>>
>>140378018
>Well, I killed a bear.
beary impressive
>>
>>140378018
Bearly made a difference.
>>
>>140376325
You should add humans and kobolds.
>>
>>140380210
Humans are currently semi-randomised, sadly. I guess i could add kobolds though, since they are pretty colourful ethics-wise.
>>
File: 1406261616713.jpg (320KB, 850x1294px) Image search: [Google]
1406261616713.jpg
320KB, 850x1294px
>>140376325

I really like the depiction of the goblin.

Also after this job related update, the next thing is the myths and magic/artifacts update right? With randomly generated races! (as seen in the GDC video) If so it sounds so good.
>>
>A Gremlin! Drive it away!
>he's underwater and drowning
okay then
>>
>>140381387
That's right. We'll probably see the adventurer site release in about 1-3 weeks, and the first myth release is likely to come out sometime in 2017, judging from the PCGamer article.

I'm totes fine with spending my entire life waiting for this shit.
>>
File: dorf fort office edition.png (231KB, 406x406px) Image search: [Google]
dorf fort office edition.png
231KB, 406x406px
begnow poag 10
>>
pls stop dying
>>
File: 1455114977408.gif (4KB, 256x272px) Image search: [Google]
1455114977408.gif
4KB, 256x272px
>tfw hdd is dead
>even UnReal World runs with a lag
>last time booting took 90 minutes
>afraid computer will never boot again
>df would probably make it crash
>serious urge to play df
>have to resist
>>
Weaponsmith made a legendary artifact copper war hammer. Is this better than a steel one? What about adamantine?
>>
>>140391978
Silver is about equal to steel for hammers, candy hammers are jokes for hammerer use only (literally balsa wood whiffle bats), copper is worse than silver but more accurate due to artifact, but it's a shame because it could have been lead, gold, or platinum, all of which beat silver.
>>
>>140391978
Adamantine is the best, that's established. Silver blunt weapons also rule due to silver's weight. Steel is on the same level as silver, copper not too good but decent. Give it to someone important.
>>
>>140392305
>>140392450
Well I gave it to a hammer lord in any case so it will go to good use
>>
So guys, I want to get started playing DF in a couple of weeks time. Where should I begin? Any particular wiki pages to read other than the ones that the front pages recommends? What's the deal with the Starter Pack?
>>
File: 1427262992348.png (35KB, 253x400px) Image search: [Google]
1427262992348.png
35KB, 253x400px
>>140393415
ASCII looked quite scary for me so the starter pack helped me with the graphic tileset. Also DFhack's "quicksave" and "die" commands helped me savescum my way through the trial and error period. Otherwise, you should have the wiki open at all times. Read the starter guide first, look at those cute diagrams they have about all the different industries, then strike the earth.

First few tries will end in misery.
>>
Running the game on my new laptop for the first time, getting something weird - any time I try to pause the world generation, the game stops responding until another year passes, and then the game continues to ignore me and makes another year.
>>
>>140395198
I'm not sure what you mean, but for me, it usually takes three years before the worldgen actually stops. That's probably intended, though.
>>
what other notable games are /dfg/ playing?
>>
>>140395713
>Mount and Blade(although it's been a while since I last played it. I've also never been in their general)
>Unreal World(I wish procedurally generated open-world games in prehistoric settings had an entire genre, but sadly, URW is the only one I know of)
>Daggerfall(it's fun to boot up sometimes. The dungeons are just as predictable as in the other TES games, if not more, but they're still pretty impressive. It also has a sweet OST)
I also spend a lot of time playing rpgs and fighting games on my old ps2. There is something reassuring about playing on a machine that you know for sure to be entirely offline.
>>
>>140396628
>Mount and Blade
>Unreal World

My nigga.

I replace rpgs with city-building and economy management games. I still get back to Pharaoh and Emperor a lot, also I love just opening Sim City 4, looking at my cities for a short while and then closing it. I scored countless hours into Banished too.
I also like minimal indie shit like Project Zomboid and Faster Than Light.
>>
Need to ask this, is there any way to make quick jump-to points? I'm getting a tad bit tired of scrolling for 300 z-layers
>>
>>140398045
Capital H
>>
>>140398364
Blessed be anon.
>>
>>140398364
fuckyeah I didn't know this, thanks
>>
File: 2-necro_zn6sbw.jpg (106KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
2-necro_zn6sbw.jpg
106KB, 1280x720px
>>140395713
Not sure about being notable but for last week I have been playing Darkest Dungeon. Tantrum spirals, nice graphics, cool narrator, and losing is still fun.
>>
Best tileset for an absolute beginner?
>>
>>140403143
Don't use one
>>
>>140403143
Curses.
>>
>>140403143
I'd suggest an actual graphical tileset but after seeing a japanese qt stream and take 30 minutes to understand that the white dwarf following a miner was not a surgeon, but rather a ghost, I've reconsidered.
>>
File: values2.png (151KB, 1264x1500px) Image search: [Google]
values2.png
151KB, 1264x1500px
I updated my value chart to also include 'bolds.

I also added a new feature, namely "Cooperation", primarily because that was the one value that the 'bolds actually excelled at.
>>
>>140406245
>kobolds are actually somewhat bro-tier
huh, never knew
>>
>>140406245
Forgot to mention it in the post, but please note that the kobolds don't do the questionable shit that the elves do. They're pretty chill.
>>
>>140406245
>no commentary on the [KILL:NEUTRAL] ethic
>>
>>140407075
Kek, I only looked at the kill entity member entry(what would happen if I set this to required, by the way?).
>>
>>140407715
Race of constantly berserking murderhobos I assume
Set it for dwarves and embark into human city
>>
>>140407991
Will do.
>>
File: kek2.png (89KB, 971x647px) Image search: [Google]
kek2.png
89KB, 971x647px
>>140407991
Nice. I can't wait to see what happens when I unpause.

Also, I set kill entity member to required for the humans, as well.
>>
>>140409142
Aaand nothing happened.

It's pretty impressive how the city actually keeps working, even as I embark on it. The right people stick to the right zones. The lady stays in her castle, the bandits stick to their dark little corner in the dungeon, the priests stick to the temples, and so on.
>>
There's a group a badgers outside my fort and they're covered in blisters. It's raining pungent slime, are these two things related?
>>
File: holy fuck tho.png (2KB, 716x47px) Image search: [Google]
holy fuck tho.png
2KB, 716x47px
>>140409552
Those "others" are almost exclusively the citizens of the town. No wonder it went down to one frame a second.
>>
>>140410247
holy shit kek
No idea you could do this
>>
>>140409607
Almost certainly
Evil weather can have many affects like that
>>
>>140410543
In vanilla you can't. In DFHack, however, there is a script that enables you to embark wherever you want, even on top of other sites. In the current version, this script can be activated through the in-game interface, which is kinda neat.

By using
>exterminate human
>exterminate dog
>exterminate cat
>exterminate goose
>exterminate chicken
I managed to save my fps, and now I have this big spacy city centre all for myself. It has two taverns, and two temples. It has one keep, one dungeon and one catacomb. All it lacks is a sewer system.

Sadly, there weren't any libraries, either.
>>
>>140390012
Get the obsolete to satisfy that urge.
>>
File: 3750y79rt5t.jpg (12KB, 292x356px) Image search: [Google]
3750y79rt5t.jpg
12KB, 292x356px
>>140411295
Anon, I kinda like your gamey set, but the statues kill it for me. How will you fix this?
>>
>>140411737
I understand what you mean, but sadly, but this was the best I could do with 10x12 tiles. Sadly.
>>
>>140393415
What roguelikes have you played?
>>
>>140393415
Quickstart guide will help you a lot
>>
File: 1354856394616.jpg (64KB, 596x618px) Image search: [Google]
1354856394616.jpg
64KB, 596x618px
>3 Dwarves
>4488 Humans
>1689 Elves
>5697 Goblins
>1070 Kobolds
do I try it?
>>
>>140414739
Just starting a fort will generate at least seven dorfs out of thin air, and then potentially generate some more for the first two migrant waves. All in all, you might end up with about 15-20 dorfs. After that, you just need to give them time to breed. Pray to Armok that they're interested in the opposite sex.
>>
Oh say. An article on AI Deep Learning said that AI players of video games had made relatively big progress in the past year. (They do not program the AI for any particular game, they tell it the victory conditions or higher score conditions and give it video input on a screen and let the deep learning software figure out how to play well and try to win or score better.)

So AI has been doing well learning Space Invaders, does anybody know whether (unspoiled, deep learning) AI robots are playing Dwarf Fortress and how they are doing?
>>
>>140418061
Of course not
>>
>>140418061
No, we're not playing DF. Don't worry.
>>
>>140418061
>does anybody know whether (unspoiled, deep learning) AI robots are playing Dwarf Fortress and how they are doing?
I bet they didn't even get started on the game before going straight to /dfg/ to ask about LNP.
>>
>>140418195
Excellent deflection, brother.
>>
>>140419175
Perhaps too excellent.
>>
>>140395652
Yeh, stop world generation in the middle of year 497 or whatever to get year 500. It can be frustrating trying to get exactly the year you want
>>
So, been away for a while but now I'm back playing DF, in my new fort I'm trying to make temples for each god of my civilization place in a fitting area, I need some suggestions for some of them though.

The domains of the gods and my current planned temple locations are as follows
>Earth, Caverns, Mountains, Volcanos, Fortresses
In the Cavern/Forge area
>Wealth, Trade
Right outside the Trade Depot
>Jewels
Right outside the Jewelry district
>Jealousy
No idea, probably some place out of the way
>The moon, The sky
No idea, probably some place outside (Like a filthy elf), maybe on a tower
>Hospitality
Next to the Entrance/visitor's tavern
>Charity
Near the hospital/jail district
>Writing
In the Library
>Lakes, Day, Light
No idea, probably some place outside (Like a filthy elf), got plenty of murky pools, so maybe some place near there and/or an artificial lake
>Lies, Treachery, Trickery
Some place hidden and/or in the Noble's district
>The Dawn, The sun, Fire
No idea, probably some place outside (Like a filthy elf), maybe on a tower, maybe a twin tower with moon god?
>Rainbows, The rain, Lightning, Sacrifice, Generosity
Top of the Execution tower over looking the external farms so the god's blessings may rain down on the fields like the splattered remains of our goblin sacrifices we toss off the tower

Anyone have suggestions for these?
I'm willing to use DFhack to make a suitable environment for the temples if need be

Also, is there anyway to change what god a dwarf believes in?
Again, I am willing to use DFhack if it comes to it
>>
>>140425402
Put all the married dwarves close to each other, with the Jealousy temple nearby.
>>
>>140426003
Can't, useful dwarves get a "house" carved out of the rock consisting of a workshop lower floor and a bedroom upper floor and their spouses get promoted from peasant to citizen

On the other hand, once I get all the industries set up I could set that up for the remaining married peasants....
>>
Just when I had the thought on my mind not a second ago, apparently Adil (The possessed! spooky! but I know he doesn't gain skills) made an exact statue of whom I want to bestow this adamantine statue on, the Duke! daamn if he wasn't duke I'd be like hail to the king baby, and telepathic dwarfs that can speak outside the binary medium of the computer
>>
>>140418061
> ai playing DF
there's too many intermediate steps and fuzzy choices in a game like dwarf fortress for any ai to properly learn how to play the game directly. it would need to undergo several step-by-step tutorials probably being hand held by a human "teacher" who knows the game, which basically says "yes that's right; no that's wrong" as the ai goes in slow motion through the steps.
adventure mode would definitely be easier than fortress mode, but trying to teach intelligent pathfinding would be nightmare tier.

also, while there are current "ai" of DF-playing bots, they're basically just scripts activated by dfhack; that have pre-defined designation blueprints for fortress growth stages once certain conditions are met.
>>
>>140427557
>it would need to undergo several step-by-step tutorials probably being hand held by a human "teacher" who knows the game

That's what machine learning IS, dipshit.
>>
>>140425402
Speaking of temples, how does /dfg/ normally design their's?
>>
File: 1423005011997.gif (4MB, 1366x1053px) Image search: [Google]
1423005011997.gif
4MB, 1366x1053px
>>140430856
>>140065197 like this , It's more of a shack now that I look at it tbqh, but I gave it a longhouse style like gif related

I don't have to contend with looking at it anymore since I abandoned this test expedition in reaction to how fucked up my former fort had stood versus Za Warudo Activation's army calculations (too many good dwarves died)
>>
>>140431392
that was terribly written out I meant to emphasize

>>140065197 this one as my take on makeshift temples
>>
File: ForTheLoveOfHardness.png (89KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
ForTheLoveOfHardness.png
89KB, 1920x1080px
>>
How many animals can I fit in a single cage?
>>
>>140436160
As many as you want
>>
>>140436852
Is caging a certain skill? I've got 13 idle dwarfs and >100 poults waiting to be caged
>>
>>140437221
I don't believe so, it should just be the 'animal hauling' labor, make sure you have that enabled
>>
Begone page 10!
>>
>>140436160
Yes.
>>
File: EternallyBurningGoblinZombies.png (37KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
EternallyBurningGoblinZombies.png
37KB, 1920x1080px
A special kind of hell: mindless, wanting nothing more than to kill and eat the living, yet forced to sit forever at the bottom of a volcano, burning and gushing blood somehow. I forget how many years they've been down there for at this point.
>>
>>140444132

Show creature description.
>>
File: HerEverythingIsGone.png (73KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
HerEverythingIsGone.png
73KB, 1920x1080px
>>140444617
>>
File: 50259_141225751185_1500598_n.jpg (7KB, 200x147px) Image search: [Google]
50259_141225751185_1500598_n.jpg
7KB, 200x147px
>>140444746

So a skeletonized head and spinal cord?
>>
>>140445227

Still has a torso and 2 legs by the looks of it
>>
>>140445449

>Her right upper leg is gone.
>Her left upper leg is gone.
>Her left true ribs is gone.
>>Her left true ribs is gone.

On that note also:

>Her upper spine is gone.
>Her middle spine is gone.
>Her lower spine is gone.

So what is her upper body and lower body? Burned, bleeding muscle?

And the head is a burned skull with melted teeth, cartilage, and muscle?

Post the full description.
>>
File: NotMuchLeft.png (72KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
NotMuchLeft.png
72KB, 1920x1080px
>>140446439
That was pretty much it.
>>
File: 1454376872621.jpg (32KB, 344x500px) Image search: [Google]
1454376872621.jpg
32KB, 344x500px
>>140446439
>>Her left true ribs is gone.
>>>Her left true ribs is gone.

missed this the first time around
>>
>>140447534
I think the "burned bleeding muscle" bit was pretty much it. Fuck, but they're like mascots now, there's another crossbowman and a pikeman down there with her. Think they dodged in there while fighting fire imps years ago.
>>
File: Untitled.jpg (461KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.jpg
461KB, 1920x1080px
Who /comfy commieblocks/ here?
>>
>>140427557
AI deep learning certainly faces intermediate steps, and handles fuzzy choices. I do not know enough to know that DF is completely beyond it. But when you look at computer programs for example their capacity to handle numeric data, realize they can possibly wade their way through 300-layer intermediate steps.

I read that Deep Learning entails a basic dichotomy of plays that feed learning or in other word exploratory try-outs versus plays to exploit the information logged in the exploration. Just imagine the system seeking a good balance between those with the persistence of a machine (good and bad.)

as for having too much information, Expert Systems sort through a knowledge base to boil that knowledge base down to some conclusion. Put 5million DF plays in to a knowledge base, and watch it chew that up and shit out adamant.

pathfinding - well the DF program itsself seems to have gone through that nightmare you are talking about so why cannot HAL?

Having a bioplasm guide tell the AI how right it is and is not, well that is not the premise of their systems when they run deep learning.
>>
File: cropped.png (71KB, 1125x889px) Image search: [Google]
cropped.png
71KB, 1125x889px
>>140449345

I usually give my dwarves 5x5 rooms.
>>
>>140450687
Talk is cheap.

Operating a data center costs real money.
>>
>>140450808
Two-by-fours with their personal table and chair(s) in a 2X2 square and their bed and cabinet in a 2X2 square happy
>>
>>140425402
A new god has shown up with the latest wave of migrants, it's the god of the sky, wind, and hunting

Hunting lodge with windmills for a temple Y/N?
>>
Okay so the wiki's page on Tomb's is really shallow and got me confused.

Am I supposed to dig a huge room and entomb all my dwarves together rather than take the time to dig various tomb rooms to separate noble from common men?

In case I wanna build a glam ass tomb room, what kind of furniture bring happy thoughts?
>>
>>140457207
Yes

Though basically nobles need a tomb of a certain opulence level while they're alive, but everyone needs a coffin as it'll make bad thoughts if someone goes unburried, other than that there's no real affect
>>
>>140458154
So basically just put some statues on the noble's tomb and I'm gucci?
>>
Do jungles not have metal? Iv embarked on 3 jungles and i haven't been able top find any ore, the heck
>>
File: slaughterhouse.jpg (24KB, 401x291px) Image search: [Google]
slaughterhouse.jpg
24KB, 401x291px
Can I place my sheeps there? Is it big enough? Will they live if there's no grass/cavern fungus for them to eat?
>>
File: 1454832023227.jpg (51KB, 614x800px) Image search: [Google]
1454832023227.jpg
51KB, 614x800px
>>140459374
>Will they live if there's no grass/cavern fungus for them to eat?
>>
>>140459143
Yep
>>
Does obsidian guarantee magma in a site?

I remember years ago I used to find magma all the time, but now I never seem to find it.
>>
>>140459374
dude they're gonna die lol, tghey need water and food my nigga
>>
>>140460731
God fucking damn it, I was careless and my miners uncovered hell. I had a few levers to block the demons but it fucks my framerate having 100 demons + 50 visitors + 100 dwarves, so I just abandoned the fort.
>>
>>140460732

They don't need water but they need food. keep them outside until the cave fungus grows in.
>>
File: misleading_wiki.jpg (11KB, 757x30px) Image search: [Google]
misleading_wiki.jpg
11KB, 757x30px
>>140460732
>>140459762

@_@
>>
>>140461039
Blessing in disguise, new site has loads of bituminous coal and limonite, love it.

Anyone have a suggestion for where I can find magma?
>>
>>140461593
Well, if digging down doesn't work, try digging up! Mine the sky, that sun thing looks hot, maybe there?
>>
>>140056586
Anyone got any good stories/copypasta/screenshots? I'm up for some /dfg/ fun.
>>
>>140466007
Most of the copypastas that end up getting screenshotted tend to be either made up by non-players, or made by unexperienced players who misunderstood elements of the game.

Perhaps I should start saving non-bullshit greenposts I see here.
>>
>>140426974
>daamn if he wasn't duke I'd be like hail to the king baby, and telepathic dwarfs that can speak outside the binary medium of the computer
>>
>>140426974
Nice.

However, judging by your reclaim fort and filename format, you're also that fag with the obnoxious stockpile. Boo.
>>
File: 1460598237264.jpg (85KB, 680x680px) Image search: [Google]
1460598237264.jpg
85KB, 680x680px
>>140471357
>>
>>140467908
What about stuff like Boatmurdered? Surely we must have some sought of list of epic shit like that.
>>
File: persistance.png (80KB, 627x710px) Image search: [Google]
persistance.png
80KB, 627x710px
KEK my axedwarf is unconscious and a goblin still can't kill him
>when will those gobbies learn
>>
File: Untitled.jpg (39KB, 1526x232px) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.jpg
39KB, 1526x232px
what the fug :DDDD
>>
>>140477391
The AI is set to always target the heads of unconscious enemies. If they have a good helmet, they'll become near invincible.
>>
>>140477646
>no pictures
>no real use
How boring.
>>
File: BirthinDwarffort.jpg (1MB, 936x5602px) Image search: [Google]
BirthinDwarffort.jpg
1MB, 936x5602px
I currently have cats hanging from chains suspended above the great hall. every time a kitten is born they fall to there death on the dining tables, and heck it seems the dwarfs enjoy it now.
>>
>>140478480
Don't fuckin lie to us. I know from experience that it's not possible for creatures to hang from chains. First of all, all chains must be placed on a floor. Second, if a creature tied up to a chain was to fall down from ledge, it would immediatly get disconnected from said chain, rather than be left hanging.

I've dedicated entire forts to experimenting with chain mechanics. You're not fooling me with your lies.
>>
>>140478919
How long ago? Not him, but cats are Legendary Climbers, and it seems perfectly likely that their "hanging" could be them treading wall.
>>
>>140478919
I have them in wood cages.
I should clarify that detail.
I knew a guy who had cats suspended over aquifer and the current would swipe his kittens away down into a deep chasm.
>>
>>140478919
>it would immediatly get disconnected from said chain, rather than be left hanging.

How did you successfully pull off dropping a chained creature off of a ledge?
>>
Ah, another siege defended against with no casualties. Ballista batteries are god damn great and my first ever drowning chamber worked well enough.
>>
>>140479771
Probably digging it out from under them with a channel or maybe something like setting up a hatch with a repeater so the creature can walk on it and then get dropped.
>>
>>140479771
I made a 5x5x3 chamber, with a 3x1 floor extending from one wall into the middle of the room. In the middle tile, I put a chain. The open spaces left by the 3x1 floor, I filled with retracting drawbridges, all connected to the same lever.

I then simply tied an animal up to the chain, waited until it stepped on a bridge tile, and then pulled the lever. Every time I did this, the animal ended up getting disconnected from the chain and falling down on the ground two tiles below.
>>
File: 12312312.png (318KB, 1688x1014px) Image search: [Google]
12312312.png
318KB, 1688x1014px
Is there any way to show jobs horizontally, and dwarfs vertically in therapist?
>>
>>140481517
I'm not a rapist user, but isn't that basically what you're doing in the pic?
>>
>>140481863
I mean, I want names to be on top. It would be so much easier to manage dwarfs, I think.
>>
File: smug mug.png (259KB, 399x349px) Image search: [Google]
smug mug.png
259KB, 399x349px
>>140481517
>>140482142
>using the rapist
>>
>>140456765
A new god risen up lately

"accept refugees and migrants"
>>
>>140457207
Take requests like a hired musician. From the one the tomb belongs to. "I want a gold door too" wasn't satisfied to have the gold door for access to the tomb, wanted a detached gold door in with their junk as a trophy "See! I have a gold door!"

Plain individuals - make it a size 1 square where the coffin is. Married couples - two adjacent coffins and define the space large enough to overlap the matching pair and
keep other coffins out of their space.
I did two rows of 7
on either side of an archery range for dead
archers, it seemed to me that they liked it.
>>
>>140461593
You might increase the 'volcanism' parameter in world generation and have volcanoes in many many places. If that is what you want.
>>
File: raw adamantine scepter.png (21KB, 932x1080px) Image search: [Google]
raw adamantine scepter.png
21KB, 932x1080px
What is your most valuable artifact?
>>
>>140480234
I feel slightly saddened that your drowning chamber was successful without using more than one try.

Are you talking about just one siegewave or did you come to the End of the Siege?
>>
>>140483667
Why not?
>>
>>140480680
This is a very DF situation story.

"I wanted to experiment with suspending cats from chains;....."
>>
I have a remote personal memory of running worldgen and the 'savagery' feature was scalable via adjectives not percentage.

Like 'natural savagery' could be set to awesome or to terrifying. Evil could be set to 'menacing' or whatever, 'horrifying' and when I set that to 'skulking' I got a world with kobolds but no goblins.

I don't see info on these sliding scales in the wiki, can anyone link me to an article or something? Once I had the world without goblins it was pretty evident what was going on with that.

28_1N1_40d

Looking back at the savagery feature now I have a percentage scale.
>>
>>140486915
The reason I did it was because I had heard a rumour that the animals would choke as they hung from the chain. Judging from my results, that rumour was pure misinformation.
>>
File: image.jpg (51KB, 500x497px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
51KB, 500x497px
>my two miners are lovers
>>
>>140489404
I once had two mace lords in the same squad who were married
>>
File: mfw adamantine.png (3KB, 252x180px) Image search: [Google]
mfw adamantine.png
3KB, 252x180px
>>140489404
very related
>>
File: LittleDorfyLovers.png (46KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
LittleDorfyLovers.png
46KB, 1920x1080px
>>140489404
Having the pop cap at 30 means most of the available pairs are matched up and lovers besides the married couples that arrived.
>>
>>140491196
>Bone carver
:^)
>>
.42.07 WHEN
>>
File: Robespierre.jpg (562KB, 939x1190px) Image search: [Google]
Robespierre.jpg
562KB, 939x1190px
>>140491196
>friends with the aristocratic scum
>>
>>140492643
Can't help it when the ones with the least onerous demands and so forth ended up among the first 10 or so dorfs and they all just hang out socializing.
>>
>>140488327
I never bothered with worldgen settings back then, so I can't really say if that was a thing or not. Looking on the old wiki pages I can't find any changes either.

You might mix that up with the ways regions are named:
The 3 savagery and 3 alignment levels combine to give you a total of 9 adjectives.
"Terrifying" would be the result of high savagery and evil alignment for example.

Look up 'world generation', 'advanced world generation' and 'region' on the wiki. Note that you can move to the old namespaces (i.e. articles about the old versions) with the box on top between the title and the body of the article.
>>
File: businessman-thinking.jpg (125KB, 852x480px) Image search: [Google]
businessman-thinking.jpg
125KB, 852x480px
Is homosexuality represented properly in DF?
>>
>>140494979

My modded race has no homosexuality
>>
>>140488943
It's like the perfectly DF to attempt, and no rationale is required.
>>
>>140489404
I played your post on audio and reported for CP
>>
File: cave polyps.png (15KB, 606x251px) Image search: [Google]
cave polyps.png
15KB, 606x251px
>>140251331

Because the raws for those creatures are, collectively, over 2000 lines of text and I'm a lazy cunt that hasn't finished the mod because I've been too busy drinking my life away and feeling sorry for myself.
>>
>>140494979
I've yet to see a bunch of beards grinding to a thumping dance track in an excessively flamboyant club, so... maybe?
>>
>>140495993
FINISH IT

plz
>>
>>140495993
That dentist was a bad dentist, after all
>>
>>140494979
It represents it decently.
>>
>>140499947

Well all that's left to do is add one more Wyvern, finish the raws for the Faunae, and make the raws for the Myconid spore reanimation shit. If I can muster up some motivation and free time it shouldn't take that long.

Honestly I was surprised when I saw someone had posted one of the pics. I figured everybody had already forgotten about it.
>>
>>140501683
They are cool creatures, and I think a few people would like to have them available.
>>
>>140494979
Maybe, but I have a more pressing question.

Can farm animals still catch the gay?
>>
>>140505439
Yes, and it's very good idea to take two breeding pairs of anything you really care about because of it.
>>
>>140501683
>I figured everybody had already forgotten about it.
Elephants and dwarves are slow to forget.
I await still the raw fixes for tissue material templates.
>>
>>140501683
/dfg/ never forgets
Upload that shit to github or post it somewhere before you vanish forever!
>>
File: Twelve.jpg (3MB, 5030x7526px) Image search: [Google]
Twelve.jpg
3MB, 5030x7526px
>>140355852
Call me 12 but that looks cool to me.
>>
>>140508123
Looks like something out of JoJo to me.
>>
>>140508123
Looks like a white Chryssalid
>>
>>140508123
You're twelve.
>>
File: wot.jpg (68KB, 1870x1007px) Image search: [Google]
wot.jpg
68KB, 1870x1007px
>modern art
>>
>>140517596
That picture looks the way I feel.
>>
Accidentally traded away a shitload of buckets that were export banned. My captain of the guard is knocking teeth out from half the fort it seems
>>
File: ManThinking.jpg (31KB, 500x333px) Image search: [Google]
ManThinking.jpg
31KB, 500x333px
What's up with all these page 10s?
>>
>>140524313
ded
>>
>>140525163
when were you when /dfg/ was kill?

I was sat at +siltstone throne+ eating -elf tallow roast- when Bomrek roar

/dfg/ is kill

no
>>
>>140525831
>no
>not "it was inevitable"
One job. ONE job.
>>
>>140526008
kek
>>
File: olm.jpg (332KB, 1600x1112px) Image search: [Google]
olm.jpg
332KB, 1600x1112px
>>
File: man-thinking2.jpg (651KB, 2144x1424px) Image search: [Google]
man-thinking2.jpg
651KB, 2144x1424px
If Toady was a 4chan board, which one would he be?
>>
>>140531647
/diy/
>>
>>140531647
/po/
>>
File: Fort Retirement.png (194KB, 664x4110px) Image search: [Google]
Fort Retirement.png
194KB, 664x4110px
>>140526008
>>
Tell me what mods you guys use.

I'm about to make a TRUMP FORT and need some extras
>>
>Tfw I just want building in adenture mode

Hurry up toady so I dont need advfort anymore
>>
This is p cool and all, the captain is picking up the smol clothes, even a pair of sockies but how about the rest of the military armor? I can't designate the small armor for Curo, and it's kinda bummy
>>
>>140534467
I am a little concerned that IRL politics
touching mainstream current events will
just befoul this DF thread since this is not /pol./

But I will say that I laughed when a company of dwarves building a fort came up the
"Deified Trumpets" is that outrageous or what?

My views positive or negative I want to post all that on some other post.
>>
Hey DF, bout to build a pair of open air twin tower temples to the gods of the sun and the moon for my dwarves, how high should they be and should anything else be in them?
Mind you I don't intend them to be the highest towers, there's another god who gets a bigger one
Thread posts: 607
Thread images: 183

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.