[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

silent hill

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 134
Thread images: 13

File: index.jpg (12KB, 209x241px) Image search: [Google]
index.jpg
12KB, 209x241px
I agree that resident evil after the 5th was not good at all...but with Silent Hill , fuck the purists , downpour was absolutly amazing, the atmosphere, the sounds, the story , the colours,the places, everything was great in it..underated as fuck....fuck everybody that disagree. because you're wrong as fuck and you have no tastes and just want to be like everybody else saying "omg only the 1st is great"...fucking fuck you
>>
>>390181423
downpour is the worst one, you have absolutely awful tastes
>>
>>390182505
fuck you i have ALL the Silent Hills , i've playd them all...i'm a mad fan of everything Silent hill related....downpour is one of the best...Silent Hill 2 is the best because it's the 1st one with everything the 1st was missing...downpour is next...can't believe people say the 4th is the best with it's absolutly shitty graphisms and ridiculously difficult levels like the one in the jail...but the atmosphere of "the room" i agree it is excellent...the feeling of lonelyness in silent hill 4 is what makes it good...but downpour is still really amazing and original...like i can understand why people didnt like "homecoming" even tho there were some good stuffs in it...but i'm sorry downpour is amazing and didn't get the credit it deserve
>>
>>390184021
are you autistic?
>>
>>390184226
go back to Nintendogs m8
>>
>>390182505
I thought so until I went back and played homecoming again. It makes downpour look like Silent Hill 2.
>>
>>390184750
homecoming at least has akira yamaoka's music and sound design, downpour has jack shit
>>
the levels in the library or in the radio tower or in the church/school thing were amazing...the side mission were amazing too...like the one in the cinema..downpour was excellent...the only argument people have against it is " the studio that made the game is unknown" ...doesn't change the fact that the game was fucking great...
>>
>>390184750
It was dogshit but at least the combat was fun. I liked the apartment complex or hotel or whatever it was.
>>
>>390182505

Homecoming is worse. I personally like Shattered Memories, but anyone calling it the worst are within their rights, I admit. Origins is competent and also a completely inferior copy of SH1/2.

On a technical level, it's probably the worst. From a " how much can I enjoy this in spite of the flaws? " perspective though, I personally believe it fares better than Homecoming, no arguments.
>>
>>390184750
Homecoming is much better than Downpour. Downpour had a few good side quests, the way the weeping bats were introduced was well done, and the dolls were decent enemies (although they didn't really fit SH). Otherwise the game ran like shit all of the time, the generic Samara and Tekken faggot enemies were terrible, the combat is the worst in the series, and the story was laughably bad. Also the music was crap, which is a damn shame for a SH game.

Homecoming had better enemy designs, better combat, the apartments, Shephard home, graveyard, and hell descent areas were all great, the bosses were surprisingly good, and the music was great. It still wasn't a good game but it's not near as bad as Downpour.
>>
>>390181423
>>390184964
>>390185859
>>390186328
Sorry lads, the first 3 are the only good games in the series. It should have ended there and you know it. Accepting anything less than the mastery of the first 3 is why the later games were released.
>>
>>390186898

In a perfect world, I agree.
In the real world, I still enjoyed Shattered Memories and Origins.
>>
>>390186898
The first three were the only great ones. 4 and Shattered Memories are good.
>>
>>390187405
4 is really quite boring and SM is a walking simulator
>>
>>390181423
>everything was great in it

The monster design were fucking atrocious, and not in a good way
>>
>>390186775
>thinks Silent Hill should have good combat
>>
>>390187405
4 is only half good and shattered memories is mediocre at best
>>
>>390187830

In fairness, it's one of the most interactive and enjoyable walking sims. You can even fail if you get caught during the weird " run from ice monsters " sections.
>>
Let's run down the list of why this is the worst game ever fucking made.

>Awful monster designs.
Literally every enemy is a spooky zombie man or a spooky zombie lady. There is no meaning behind their designs other than "Murphy was in prison, I guess. Also bats." Homecoming at least had interesting monster design going for it, if nothing else. The Bogeyman is an exact copy of Pyramid Head (because every western Silent Hill dev feels the need to have a carbon copy of PH) except his design is...a spooky man in a raincoat.

>Awful combat.
Not a big deal in a Silent Hill game, right? You're supposed to run away from combat in Silent Hill. Except when the game fucking FORCES YOU TO FIGHT TO PROGRESS CONSTANTLY. There is a fucking BATTLE GAUNTLET towards the end of the game. Every encounter with a monster goes as follows:

>you block
>monster blocks
>you block
>monster blocks
>you block
>monster screams
>hammer the buttons and wiggle the sticks
>monster blocks

Ad infinitum until you want to blow your fucking brains out. There is no difficulty. There is no danger. There is only blocking.

>Awful characters with awful writing.
Murphy is an unlikable dullard with zero interesting qualities. Not only that, but according to the canon good ending, he has zero reason to feel tortured or be punished by Silent Hill because he didn't actually do anything wrong. His only crime is being a stupid piece of shit:
https://youtu.be/y0xj0QLfl7U [Embed]

The utter pile of shit that is the writing is laid bare for all to see when the nun asks Murphy to pick up his sons' body. When Murphy arrives, he is greeted by the Bogeyman on a slab. He takes off the mask to reveal his son's face...and his son's killers face. It flickers back and forth. Because it represents them both lmao really makes u think

If you beat this game and then sat through the credits as fucking KORN played and thought "Wow, this is truly the last great SH game!" you need to fucking kill yourself.
>>
>>390186328
>>390187051
>>390187405
>>390188189
Shattered Memories is decent spin-off. It's like they say, it's a bad Silent Hill game but still a good psychological horror game.
>>
File: 2162384-js.jpg (69KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
2162384-js.jpg
69KB, 1280x720px
>>390184750
>>390181423
>Downpour better than Homecoming

No
Vid related
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=74TEVa3TNlI
>>
My first Silent Hill was 1 on the PS3 and I hated the piano puzzle so fucking much. Generally an unnerving game despite how dated it was, I bought it for like 4 bucks. That was a great game, got the bad ending because lol you were forced to kill the cop girl in self defense but not really if you read the back of the cover and called codec fuck you play this shit again. I'll replay Silent Hill 1 proper but that really pissed me off with the bad ending garbage I got.

Silent Hill 2 HD I greatly enjoyed despite its obvious HD problems. I found the prison to be the scariest shit ever despite just about fuck all happening; with the exception of that labyrinth run under the sewers/underground water whatever. The BIGGEST FUCK YOU I've had in a horror game and masterfully so was when they stopped playing Pyramid Head exclusive music/general enemy music and treated Pyramid Head like he was just hanging about and it was totally normal so they didn't overlay music. I remember the first time I thought I was in a safe area due to no music and turning a corner and running into Pyramid Head, I was like PAUSED WHAT THE FUCK IS THIS SHIT GOOD TROLL BUT FUCK YOU. I took his sword but I'll definitely remember that moment. I played with the original dub because the new dub sounded a little too anime for my tastes. Also I got the water ending in Silent Hill 2 HD and that pissed me off, wtf. I knew going in it would have different endings and I knew the spoilers, but fuck me, I wanted a neutral/optimistic ending not this. I don't give a shit that an artist said Mary's body was in the trunk of his car, that's not seen in teh game so the canon ending waterfaggots can fuck off.
>>
>>390181423
Downpour is the only Silent Hill I've played and it bored the fuck out of me.
>>
File: tyqrK7G.jpg (222KB, 576x824px) Image search: [Google]
tyqrK7G.jpg
222KB, 576x824px
>>390189491
Silent Hill 3 HD, my favorite game in the franchise. I would marry a girl like Heather no problem. Silent Hill 3 is the most "gamey" of the original 3 games, with 1 and 2 focusing a lot on exploration and atmosphere building and Silent Hill 3 making sure you're entertained without long paces of dead air between bosses or cutscenes. It's like the video game equivalent of comfy home soup. So while I get the renown for Silent Hill 2's themes, I still prefer Silent Hill 3 because Heather is a much better protagonist.

Silent Hill 4 being unrelated to the franchise and having been reworked to retrofit it as a Silent Hill game is a long internet forced meme. It was always intended to be a Silent Hill game and was largely done by the original staff of the 3 games. When people say Silent Hill fans are the worst, they overlook how Silent Hill 4 is shunned and left on its own like it was never made by the original Team Silent when it was and they constantly lie how it was forced to become a Silent Hill game by evil Konami.

Silent Hill Downpour was a good attempt at a Silent Hill game. I have problems with it it, but I honestly can't hate it since it actually has heart which is more than can be said for Silent Hill post 4 and the movies. Also rain is maximum comfy. It basically was a victim for a forced deadline release, as post patch its acceptable on PS3 which is what I played, don't know the original state. They copped out by having shitty "select your ending" cutscene interaction, which is off putting. Still, I enjoyed its atmosphere if nothing else felt like out of a Stephen King novel.
>>
>>390181423
Was downpour the one with the stupid running from light sections and bad lady enemies and open world shit or is that homecoming?
>>
File: 1b8.png (182KB, 404x266px) Image search: [Google]
1b8.png
182KB, 404x266px
>>390181423
This video pretty much sums up everything wrong with the game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EVHGz2B4ZjQ
>>
>>390189491
they need to remake silent hill 1-3 properly, everything after that i don't care about
>>
Delete this fucking thread
>>
>>390190321
They did and it's called Silent Hill Shattered Memories. You purists split the fanbase again because "combat was never part of Silent Hill" so you everyone got stuck with run away from non scary icey girls the video game. Though to be fair, it was never pitched as a Silent Hill game until Konami reworked it but the end result was a boring game with basically no gameplay.
>>
>>390190582
you're talking about the wii game correct? I never liked that one much, Inmean for me I think it'd be sick if they did a remake of the original trilogy for this gen, but seeing how konami is out of touch with everything in gaming at this point, it's a lost dream.
>>
>>390191221
Yes. But not just Wii, it was ported over to PSP and PS2.

Silent Hill 1,2,3, and 4 are all made by 90% the same developers, with 1 or 2 not being on staff.

Silent Hill PSP, Wii, and PS3/360 were outsourced. Why do you keep neglecting Silent Hill 4 like it was done by ze evil Western devs?
>>
File: 1334028570800.jpg (32KB, 284x226px) Image search: [Google]
1334028570800.jpg
32KB, 284x226px
If you like any SH past 4, kindly kys. I mean, it's not like you'll bear any offspring anyway to pass the abysmal taste gene, but you know, just to be sure.
>>
>>390181423
Fuck yourself retard. You got shit taste.
>>
Silent Hill 4 is a good game.
>>
File: sh_downpour_screen.jpg (231KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
sh_downpour_screen.jpg
231KB, 1280x720px
>>390181423
I don't know if I'd say it was amazing, but I thought Downpour had its merits that at least made it worth a playthrough.

It was clunky, but in retrospect, it might be my favorite example of a horror game that attempts to let you explore a whole town.
>>
>>390193012
>Why do you keep neglecting Silent Hill 4 like it was done by ze evil Western devs?
Because it's shit and proof that the series was done by 3
>>
>>390181423
At least it wasn't as bad as the absolute piece of shit that is homecoming.
>>
>>390184964
Music, yes, sound design, no. It doesn't help when just about every other aspect of the game is bafflingly bad.
>>
>>390194094
Shattered Memories was nice.
>>
>>390194094
hey avatarfag I was initially irked by your pictures because I thought it was some mlp-tier kids show but I was actually really surprised by what it was actually like
>>
File: 1498397807256.png (2MB, 1300x4835px) Image search: [Google]
1498397807256.png
2MB, 1300x4835px
https://pastebin.com/6B3qZs4S

SH1 NTSC DDL:
https://mega.nz/#!bVUCTJzD!PmnPw4S7fWGyvTjw9S0-RQdk7rRp2BQNuXJqRkZCZvk

SH2 DDL:
https://mega.nz/#!rFcj1SIJ!47JH9M4OrzmQKuaiJ6IqUgmgz_SVNtk4LIYNSa-D-_8

SH2 torrent:
https://mega.nz/#!bYcEnbhC!rYnhvcJiRC46T6yExS0Y61JHZ-5N3WxFvfZMI8xbyhE

SH3 DDL:
https://mega.nz/#!2JNkgJ7b!nfPf5cIs6I5K-sdAs7RcnHvGA2hAvIGdpQuIoBhF3iE

SH3 torrent:
https://mega.nz/#!GVVGRLpD!SyklVbuLIkc38ZYji5QL3sWHKtHt9-Bto700My8pH7c

SH4 DDL:
https://mega.nz/#!Us1XTaII!cglH0dZOaH5yQEm4cnEh3eyUz4bIf6rACQqcVzkb4Hc

Mount the ISOs of 2 & 3, and then run their installers like always.
The SH1 is a PS1 rip that you gotta emulate.
The "sh2proxy" is a all-in-one fix, that works as a no-cd crack as well. It is included in the pack.
If you use the NEW fix mentioned in the guide, you can use the sh2proxy's EXE as the no-cd crack!

In case you experience issues saving the game / not being able to edit the disp.ini, make sure the files aren't set to "Read Only", and run the game as Administrator.
If SH2 gets stuck in a black screen upon launch, close it and re-start it again.
If SH3 runs like shit even on a strong PC, check and lower the Rendering Resolution setting.

SH2-4 do not support Xinput gamepads. Either use Xpadder, a DirectInput pad, or just play with KB+M.
You can now see some decent emulator settings for SH1 as well in the guide. If the image of the game does NOT fill your entire screen in fullscreen mode, check your plugin AND GPU control panel's image scaling settings!
Also give the new PGXP emulator a shot for a lot less wobbly PS1 graphics.

>Protips
-Play in the release order.
-Never play below Normal difficulty.
-Replaying them all is recommended.
-Turn down the ingame Brightness setting,
-Don't try to kill everything that moves, especially outdoors.
-Turning OFF the flashlight can really help.

I'm not the nerd that always posts this but I really can't wait to play
Wish I could just have a physical version of a non-shit HD collection with 1-4 though
>>
>>390189183
The only problem I really have with it is that it's not really a horror game, it's not that it just fails to be scary, I genuinely think they weren't trying to make it scary, most of the time at least. Which is fine, but they should've admitted it and not marketed it as having any more than very light horror elements.
>>
>>390181423
I've never seen such extreme, purely masochistic level of shit taste. Downpoor is a fine example of how to NOT make games.

>>390189491
>>390189840
>playing the HD ports
>defending DP
kys

>>390190582
As much as I love SH:SM, it is NOT a remake of anything.

>>390194417
>SH4
>shit
choose one and then jump off the bridge.
>>
>>390189491
People actually thought the piano puzzle was hard? Then again, am I right in assuming most people played Silent Hill 1 as a child originally?
>>
>>390197481
I've seen all mature people have problems with it and literally Google it in recent years.

Yeah, casual-era and internet ruined games.
>>
>>390189491
Boi I don't even remember the piano puzzle. That's how easy it is.
>>
>>390182505
Downpour is the best of the western Silent Hills, you obviously haven't played Homecoming them. Even Shattered Memories was a big step forward after Homecoming. You're just parroting the reviews.
>>
>>390181423
>I agree that resident evil after the 5th was not good at all
It stopped being good after 0, as it became an action series with shit lore
>downpour was absolutly amazing
I thought it was okay, but it ripped off SH2 too much, graphics were shit, characters moved like shit, the running system was awful and the actual gameplay was pretty mediocre.
>the atmosphere
It was barely there
>the sounds
I don't think it did sound design well, what with making a noise before every spook to let you know it'll happen.
>the story
It's just another SH2 rehash like all the Western games.
>the colours
It was blue and skin tone, and sometimes orange red and green.
>the places
Not as good as areas in the first 4
>everybody else saying "omg only the 1st is great"...fucking fuck you
That's not wrong
>>
>>390198801
>Downpour is the best of the western Silent Hills, you obviously haven't played Homecoming them.
Not him, but what the living fuck is wrong with you??

Homecoming is MILES more playable and bearable in every single possible way compared to Downpoor. Both are fucking shit, sure, but HC at least WORKS and both looks AND sounds fine.

SM is its totally own thing, and the only truly GOOD western SH game.
>>
>>390199656
Did we play the same game? Downpour is at least playable and its mechanics and plot make SOME sense, while Homecoming is an excruciating unplayable torture from start to finish with Yamaoka's music serving only as mockery.
>>
>>390191221
I don't think they really need to, SH 2 and 3 still look fine today. I suppose the gameplay could be a bit better though.
SH1 could maybe use a remake, not a reimagining like SH but a faithful enhanced remake, just to sort the script and voice acting out if nothing else, and to give it that more gritty realistic look 2 and 3 had.

A lot of people say SH1's primitive graphics added to the horror for them, but for me it has the opposite effect, there's something scarier about SH2's filthier look for me, even though the otherworlds are quite tame in comparison, more often being an even more derelict-looking version of the normal environment instead of an illogical nightmare with a vaguely similar layout.
>>
>>390184021
>Silent Hill 2 is the best because it's the 1st one with everything the 1st was missing
haven't even played downpour, but you're a massive faggot regardless for that statement alone.
go set yourself on fire.
>>
>>390199656
Homecoming is just an action run and gun with broken mechanics
>>
>>390199656
Shattered memories is just an empty world with nothing to fear, then annoying running marathons. Downpour is at least a game. Shattered memories had a good story though.
>>
>>390199954
>Did we play the same game?
Apparently not. Gb2/your alternative reality.

>Downpour is at least playable and its mechanics and plot make SOME sense,
Downpoor has THE most nonsensical control scheme of all time, THE most infuriating combat system I know of, suffers of the cancer of breaking weapons WHILE also making some weapons NECESSARY to progress... and fucking NOTHING in the game makes sense ,because it was made like that thanks to Tomm Hulett.

>while Homecoming is an excruciating unplayable torture from start to finish
No mate, fuck off.
I will never ever allow myself to replay Origins and Downpoor again, but I did replay HC just fine once a while ago. The controls are very typical and "modern", and for the most part actually make sense and work as you'd assume them to. Except that shitty quick-key for that powerful healing item, which I kept hitting by accident at times.
HC's combat in fact is a bit TOO good, to the point that you can easily hit-stun and butcher majority of enemies with nothing but your KNIFE, leaving you with tons of ammo.

Downpoor on the other hand looks like shit, RUNS like shit, has glitches out of its fucking ass, and is the biggest frustration on this planet to play.

>with Yamaoka's music serving only as mockery.
You go end your life right now. At least HC HAS Akira's music. It really does add A LOT to the experience.
That embarrassing Korn & Dexter shit they repeat over and over and over again in DP are just pathetic, and the devs clearly realized too as they just had to play old Akira's tunes via those radios.

>>390201016
What "broken mechanisms"?? Downpoor literally is TOTALLY broken game!
>>
>>390187967
There's a difference between bad combat that fits a role and bad combat that's just frustrating and obnoxious.
>>
>>390201235
Shattered Memories is a brilliant psychological experience with killer atmosphere, great OST, and quite fine story. The way it turns the player into the main character and subject is just fascinating as hell.

Downpoor is a pathetic excuse of a "game". A tryhard Ubisoft-openworld game, where there's literally NOTHING AT ALL to see or do in that copy-pasted town of its.
>>
>>390181423
I like downpour but it's only better than 4 and Origins.
>>
File: ppe.jpg (8KB, 218x218px) Image search: [Google]
ppe.jpg
8KB, 218x218px
>some parts of this game may be considered violent or cruel
>followed by some fuckin weird noises
>>
>>390201298
>THE most nonsensical control scheme of all time, THE most infuriating combat system I know of
I'd say Homecoming's was worse in the sense that you had some evasion moves that implied you could dodge enemy attacks, but in practice said attacks were so poorly telegraphed and dodges were so fucking wonky that it was barely effective at all, just infuriating instead. That and shooting human enemies was just as bad as it possibly can be in a SH game.

>glitches out the fucking ass
That's weird, I haven't had a single problem with Downpour, but HC was riddled with glaring bugs even with the latest patch. Like only being able to see 2/3rds of the map, or wrong button prompts.

>Yamaoka's music
I didn't say that it was bad, dumbo, I love listening to it separately from the game, but what I'm saying is that the core game was so bad, any atmosphere that the music could've or should've established just went out the window.

Man, arguing about which game is WORSE is kinda weird.
>>
>>390201479
>NOTHING AT ALL to see or do in that copy-pasted town of its

The quests about the autistic girl who followed ribbons and the murder scene where you rewind time were pretty good, if not very SH-y.
>>
File: (You).jpg (62KB, 435x427px) Image search: [Google]
(You).jpg
62KB, 435x427px
>>390181423
>>390184021
You type like an angry 15 year old boy.

Also, as someone who's playing through Downpour for the first time, nothing you mentioned is backed up by any real examples.

The colors are practically all grey, even the outdoor areas with "green".

The combat is slowly making me want to hang myself.

The music is actually pretty decent, however it telegraphs spooks and combat far too much.

The story is lackluster, as is the character's personality so far. I'm absolutely uninterested in why he's even there even though I'm already three hours in or so.

The mine is my favorite area so far, but it still wasn't very fun or enjoyable. The mine cart ride was actually making me paranoid until directly after the miner statues flicker around and return to normal, because then the whole cavern is filled to the brim with lazily designed and lazily animated enemies that don't even care you are there with few exceptions.

So far, I'd say its overrated, not underrated.

Oh and the graphics are actually pretty good in my eyes, I don't know why people think otherwise.
>>
>>390201298
>Downpour is TOTALLY a broken game
Not him but It wasn't so bad for me. And if it was completely fixed, it'd be a better "game"
>>
>>390202525
Not to disagree but you space like a redditor
>>
>>390202000
>That's weird, I haven't had a single problem with Downpour, but HC was riddled with glaring bugs even with the latest patch. Like only being able to see 2/3rds of the map, or wrong button prompts.
I played HC and Downpour on PS3 and while I ran into an occasional hitch in the former, the latter actually crashed on me and had numerous other instances of broken scripts and other glitches. Maybe it was because I played it when it first came out, but my experience with Downpour was nothing but frustration.
>>
Hey man, enjoy what you want to enjoy. You don't have to prove to anyone that it's a good game, because it doesn't fucking matter what they think of it.
>>
>>390202000
>I'd say Homecoming's was worse in the sense that you had some evasion moves that implied you could dodge enemy attacks,
There's nothing infuriating about HC's controls. They're generic as fuck these days yeah, but not bad. You must suck major ass to not be able to run circles and dodge majority of the enemy attacks. Like said: knife is fucking OP agains 99% of all enemies, and the rest you just shoot down - which AGAIN uses a typical shoulder aiming system.

>That's weird, I haven't had a single problem with Downpour,
Consider yourself lucky. Seen that TwinPerfect's review and the section about the numerous bugs players had experienced? Well, they didn't even show some I personally had! Like being unable to pick up healing items, no matter that I was practically dying, or the subway area's doors getting RE-LOCKED on their own... Don't even get me started with the absolutely abysmal framerate, tons of freezing, and chance of random crashes. UE3 clearly was waaay too much for PS3/360, and shows that these jackasses can't even make their own engine.

NONE of that happened in HC.
I can only assume you've played the god-awul PC port?

>what I'm saying is that the core game was so bad, any atmosphere that the music could've or should've established just went out the window.
Complete opposite.

There's really no argument: DP is a broken mess that makes no sense in any level, be it playing it or trying to follow the nonexistent story.

>>390202089
pointless sidequests that just sap your supplies and gift you with one or two useless toys you LOSE soon after is just one of the MANY problems this.... "game" had.
>>
>>390202639
Ah, I see how it is. I played DP on PS3 long after release, and HC on PC.
>>
>>390202591
I've literally never posted on Reddit, I've always posted here in this format.

I just like my posts to appear clean and not just a wall of text.
>>
>>390202771
>You must suck major ass to not be able to run circles and dodge majority of the enemy attacks.
Nigger please. Hack and Slash/character action is my favorite genre. I remember the enemies in DP being much more manageable.

>I can only assume you've played the god-awul PC port?
That I fucking did.

>pointless sidequests
They were entertaining, so they're already not pointless.
>>
>>390202831
Cleanliness is subjective though, for me a wall of text would be more cohesive, while the spaced paragraphs are too crumby.
>>
>>390203149
That's a valid point. I suppose I prefer for what I'm conveying to be broken down in this format because its like bullet points, and I find that attractive unless its too much.
>>
>>390201479
>Shattered Memories is a brilliant psychological experience

It's not a fucking video game. You can apply that psychological fake out atmosphere to Silent Hill 1 which is actually a video game.
>>
>>390203040
>I remember the enemies in DP being much more manageable.
They were not. Any one of them could do that bullshit unlimited-range scream that stuns you into a QTE-recovery mode, or just slash-rush your ass in a way that cannot be blocked (and since no dodge exist...). All that while you're hoping that your glass weapons don't break.

>That I fucking did.
Same as shooting yourself in the foot.
I am truly sorry.

>They were entertaining
As entertaining as getting your wisdom's teeth pulled out. Pointless distractions in otherwise very linear and pointless game.
>>
>>390203525
>It's not a fucking video game.
Explain?
AFAIK, it's a GAME software, that requires a GAME-console to run it, which you then PLAY with GAME-controllers, and need to INTERACT with it in order to experience the whole thing.

Also, while SH1-4 are "psychological horror", they are NOT actually psychologically active towards (You), the player.
>>
>>390203149
That's like the weirdest nitpick to take away from a post. That's like a personal thing thats not even worth conplaining about, let alone calling him out for reddit, as always.
>>
>>390203795
I honestly didn't even take it as a complaint, just a comment.
>>
>>390203768
Then who the hell would it be aimed for? There's tons of shit aimed for the player, like the radio for instance. You know someones there but you don't always know where or how many, it builds suspense. You're a lot more scared of something if you don't know what it is.
>>
>>390203795
I'm not sayin, I'm just sayin.
>>
>>390203768
Silent Hill Shattered Memories has clearly defined safe zones where the player is going through story/puzzle areas without any danger or game over. There is no penalty, outside of alternative ending, for investigating during the cooldown sections of Shattered Memories.

When you're thrust into the game's "fight or flight" set pieces, it's just running away through mazes with only a flare IIRC as the only "gameplay element". I categorically define Silent Hill Shatted Memories as a walking simulator type of game akin to Gone Home.

I do not fault people for liking walking simulator genre, but let's not argue that Shattered Memories is gameplay wise on the level of any of the previous Silent Hill games, even the PSP ones. I also find it that some people in Silent Hill threads (not you anon), but some try REALLY hard to fit in >>390196913 and >>390197315 as perfect examples. It's funny that you're in the position of defending Shattered Memories while I'm defending Silent Hill 4, both which are outcasts in this series. Silent Hill 4 has it worse than Shattered Memories, since it was made by the vast majority of the original staff and was always a Silent Hill title with the story circulating for years that it was unrelated and forced tie-in by Konami. THAT is the power of Western fan delusion that is pure objective cancer. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Silent_Hill_4:_The_Room#Development
>>
>>390203584
>Same as shooting yourself in the foot.
>I am truly sorry.
Too fucking bad, I guess. Though I definitely won't replay it again on any other system.

>As entertaining as getting your wisdom's teeth pulled out.
Nah man, they were at least one of the things that I remembered from the game, which meant they were standing out from the rest of it. Especially with the ribbons, the way you stumble onto them by accident, and only later learn of their purpose.

Would you agree that this argument over which of the two bad games is a larger piece of shit is pointless?
>>
>>390204436
>I categorically define Silent Hill Shatted Memories as a walking simulator type of game akin to Gone Home.
Yes, I agree. Pursuit sections were the weakest aspect of the game, and exploration sections were fun and comfy. They managed to capture that aspect of Silent Hill that was less about horror and more about your curiosity to explore and find out what the hell is going on.
>>
>>390204436
How am I trying hard to fit in? Are you sure you meant to reply to me?
I just said I was looking forward to playing Silent Hill games since they look fun from what I've seen and I haven't played them before
>>
>>390204436
>Silent Hill Shattered Memories has clearly defined safe zones where the player is going through story/puzzle areas without any danger or game over.
>There is no penalty, outside of alternative ending, for investigating during the cooldown sections of Shattered Memories.
...yes, and?

>When you're thrust into the game's "fight or flight" set pieces, it's just running away through mazes with only a flare IIRC as the only "gameplay element".
...ok, and?

>I categorically define Silent Hill Shatted Memories as a walking simulator type of game akin to Gone Home.
Gone Homo is an aimless wandering game where your way of "ending" the game is to stare at a number of things, and nothing ever happens.

SH:SM fits the bill of an "urban explorer", with its psycho-analysis feature giving it a ton of replay value in form of (sometimes greatly) changing environments, people, and "routes".

>but let's not argue that Shattered Memories is gameplay wise on the level of any of the previous Silent Hill games
have I?

>I also find it that some people in Silent Hill threads (not you anon), but some try REALLY hard to fit in >>390196913 and >>390197315 (You) as perfect examples
ironic,
especially since it's usually me posting those links. Heck, I uploaded the files myself, ripped my own physical copies years ago.

>It's funny that you're in the position of defending Shattered Memories while I'm defending Silent Hill 4, both which are outcasts in this series
I have always liked SH4, and SM greatly surprised me in a positive way few years back when I finally got to play it. Having just replayed it + watched a rookie friend of mine play it for the 1st time last month, it truly is an interesting anomaly with fascinating atmosphere and plot.
>>
>>390199656
This.
>>
>>390204879
Pshh yeah man, you're reeeally trying to fit in with that bullshit statement man. Better head on back to tumblr with that tomfoolery
>>
>>390204473
>Would you agree that this argument over which of the two bad games is a larger piece of shit is pointless?
No. It's a matter of "eh, misguided yuth at least tried!" versus "who the fuck thought this shit would be acceptable on any level?"
>>
>>390205134
You really added on to the discussion with that one.
>>
>>390204436
You can get a game over in SM. You can't in walking simulators.
>>
>>390205260
What's there to add? Downpour is an unoptimized, poorly designed piece of trash. Homecoming sucks but it's still a much better game than Downpour in every single way. Even the fucking Korn song was phoned in for Downpour. Nobody cared about that game.
>>
>>390205227
It's funny how I agree with those two categories, but can't agree with which game goes where. Was the difference between the versions we played that great?
>>
>>390205571
Not him, but I played Downpour on PS3 and it ran like garbage. Constant (and I mean constant) freezing and stuttering. Maybe the 360 version ran better. A lot of multiplats did.
>>
>>390205456
As a game, Downpour is better in every way. The only advantage Homecoming has on it is it won't crash or lag as hard. But we're talking as a game, Homecoming is just disgusting. From the story to the gameplay.
>>
>>390205571
>Was the difference between the versions we played that great?
Apparently.
I have no personal experience with PC's HC port, but years of lurking&posting on SH threads and -Forums has made it clear that it should be avoided.

Plus, even with the technical difficulties fixed, I simply do not see myself enjoying DP. Or even being able to recognize it as a SH-game. It feels more like a mashup of Alan Wake and AitD2009, with bubblegum dudes as enemies, American McGee's Alice -ripoff "otherworld" sections that end in waterslides, and some of the least user-friendly gameplay I have had to deal with this decade. Just reading NOTES is a pain in the ass in DP, and boy oh boy will you get totally lost and get stuck in this game- for all wrong reasons - if you go and disable all the item-shimmer and button prompts.
>>
>>390205752
I'm also playing it on PS3, can confirm it runs like a snail.
>>
>>390205848
You're wrong. It's DP that has NO salvaging elements whatsoever.
There's nothing wrong with the HC's gameplay. It's just misplaced in a wrong series, and takes inspiration from from sources.

Seriously, FUCK DOWNPOOR.
>>
>>390205963
>open town with sidequests
>spooky chase sequences that were an upgrade from SM in every way
Nah, I can see some promise if work would be put into it.

>nothing wrong with HC gameplay
Dodging didn't work half the time, and hit detection with firearms was weird. Not sure if it's a PC problem. Also, human enemies.
>>
>>390205963
>Here's about a hundred quick time events or barrier-bashing sessions to get through doors when its not like there's anything chasing you, and you'll have every tool needed to get through anyway
>Good luck getting out of your stun lock (by the worst designed enemies in the series)
>Oh here's pyramid head for no reason, he literally just shows up and walks away
>Oh there's my totally-not-pyramid-head-ripoff OC donut steal
>>
File: sneaky fourze.jpg (78KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
sneaky fourze.jpg
78KB, 1280x720px
Origins was my very first Silent Hill. I don't remember it being that bad, but it's been a while since i've played it

Can I get some anon's opinion on Origins?
>>
>>390206602
>pyramid head for no reason, he literally just shows up and walks away
This, this was the most fucked up moment of the game for me. Pyramid Head literally shows up how many times, once? Twice? Both times does nothing if you don't count the ending.
>>
>>390206602
You forgot the run and gun gameplay. They're literally trying to make their own game and they're being held back by the Silent Hill formula. The only reason they made it Silent Hill was to get noticed since they hadn't really made anything.
>>
>>390206798
Origins is basically SH2/3 lite. It wasn't that bad, but wasn't terribly good either. It's so-so. Having dozens of TVs in your inventory was silly, though.
>>
>>390206378
>Nah, I can see some promise if work would be put into it.
put they didn't. Sidequest are pointless waste of time, and chase sequences literally RIPPED from SM and SH3's red-mist scene really are not my idea of "best features to copy from the series".

>Dodging didn't work half the time, and hit detection with firearms was weird. Not sure if it's a PC problem.
It clearly is, because knife-slash combo + dodge was OP as fuck on PS3, and my shots sure as hell went where I wanted them to.

>human enemies
thank The Movie for that as well.
I however don't understand how people can hate a handful of gasmasked miners, but are a-OK with DP's entire enemy cast being nothing but slightly mutilated dudes.

>>390206602
>here's the seventh billiont fireladder or boarded up door you gotta deal with a specific weapon, again! Hope you didn't lose that unique piece of gear on your way back here!
>Good luck getting out of your stun lock
>Oh here's a TOTALLY NOT PH WE SWEAR!
>Have a cameo of a character from the comics! And another nigger who plays records at radio! It's totally TwinPeaks x Wayward Pines cool!
>>
>>390206798
>Can I get some anon's opinion on Origins?
It's shit.

SH0 might've been interesting addition to the series, but the way it handles its themes and tells the story make it a big failure. It tries to "explain" things that didn't need explanation, and just manages to screws up the original lore & even logic! Has poor gameplay, and recycless SH2 & Movie's elements. Ugly as fuck to boot, and first non-PH appearance to boot.
>>
>>390206798
I'd just say it was unnecessary.
>>
>>390207207
>chase sequences literally RIPPED from SM and SH3's red-mist scene
They were ripped, but you can't deny they actually played much better than either of them.

>It clearly is, because knife-slash combo + dodge was OP as fuck on PS3, and my shots sure as hell went where I wanted them to.
Well too fucking bad for me, again.

>DP's entire enemy cast being nothing but slightly mutilated dudes
Humanoid monsters vs real actual humans.
Then again you could argue that Eddy was also human.
>>
>>390205848
Homecoming has better areas. From the church to the apartments/hotel to the Scarlet area to the protag's corrupted home to the cemetery. Jail kind of sucked (still better than Downpour's prison) as did the sewers and the order lair, but those were still no worse than the majority of Downpour's areas. Downpour had the movie theater and that's it because everything else was awful. Homecoming's environments were foreboding, oppressive, and at least looked like an approximation of a Silent Hill game. Downpour looked like Alan Wake.

Homecoming had better enemies. The recycled movie enemies looked fine (well, outside of Pyramid Head) and are only hated because of the association with the movie. The Schisms, Lurkers, and Siams all looked great and at least attempted to keep the symbolism from the other games. Downpour had the lame ass prisoners and guards with their blatant as fuck symbolism (hurr the prisoners are kept literal on leashes by the guards, with their mouths forced open), and then a bunch of other shit that seemed like they were pulled from different games (generic black haired 2spooky woman, cave face, blow up dolls, sentient cop cars). Don't even get me started on the bosses. Outside of the hand centipede one all of Homecoming's bosses were well designed. Giant wheelchair man in Downpour looked ridiculous, as did the boogeyman.

Homecoming had a better story. I mean, it was shit overall but the children sacrifices and seeing the town's effects on surrounding areas and witnessing the parent's guilt was more interesting than magical mail man and pointless DJ. Even the shitty twist in Homecoming is delivered better than the shitty twist in Downpour.

Homecoming had better combat. I suppose you could argue it's too effective, making you too strong if you know how to abuse the knife. But at least it's responsive. Downpour's barely works and is a glitchy mess.

Homecoming has better music but I don't need to explain that.

I could go on and on.
>>
OP I enjoyed Downpour, but the sidequests were VERY hit and miss, and the enemies were worse than terrible.
>>
Has anyone used that "Silent Hill 2 Patch" in the wiki? Seems to just be a .rar with all the adjustments done in the guide but it also adds some Wine shit there that's supposed to alleviate some other graphical shit. Going to try it out for myself. Will probably make another update to this. >>390196913 The less shit to do the better.
>>
>>390206864
Twice. First time was just it walking by. Second time it executes the dad. They were being punished for fucking up the ritual.

>>390207443
SM chase sequences were better. Larger environments with subtle clues as to where to go is better than hallways.
>>
>>390181423
Every Silent Hill game besides 2 and P.T. are pieces of shit
>inb4 1 and 3 are great
"Hurr durr muh satanic cult" is fucking stupid
>>
>>390207443
>but you can't deny they actually played much better than either of them.
I can, because it didn't. Fucking annoying filler where you had to deal with both insta-kill vortex AND unavoidable insta-knockout enemies at worst. And traps.

>Humanoid monsters vs real actual humans.
practically no difference
>>
>>390207986
Tomm pls go, you're drunk
>>
>>390207771
U think u could find out before this 404s
>>
>>390208196
Why would it 404?
>>
>>390208196

What 404s?
>>
>finish silent hill downpour
>korn starts playing
Fuck you
>>
>>390208319
>>390208361
Not him, but Silent Hill threads tend to die long before bump limit.
>>
>>390208548
>I NEED TO KEEP THE PACE
>I NEED TO FIGURE OUT
I'm amazed I still remember that song.
>>
>>390207771
>>390208196
Also do you have a link to it?

>>390208319
>>390208361
Oops I mean archive
point is no more replying
>>
>>390181423
I kinda agree with you OP.
The atmosphere was fine the voice acting was nice, the music great, the story was just fine, I don't care about the dynamic origins, it IS kinda sucky, but hell, it serves its purpose. (I'd rather have a fixed story)

What i didn't like at all were the enemies. Fuck me, they were awful and generic as fuck, If they had replaced the enemies with something more interesting it would be a gem.
>>
>>390208953

Well I checked it out. Seems to be exactly what I thought. Existing fixes plus Wine bundled into a .rar. The only problem is that you can't force AA when using the Wine shit. I can't test to see if it really fixes all the white texturing though.

It's best to use that then the existing method. Just delete a couple files if you want AA. Don't if you want the Wine fixes. I guess I'll update the guide.
>>
>>390208076
But it's true, the story sounds like it's ripped right out of a 50s horror show, the characters are all bland compared to James (except maybe Heather), the monsters are just big and gross just for the sake of being big and gross and scare factor is literally non existent.
Also who?
>>
>>390209262
Could I have a link and the new guide?
Also what do you mean by Wine?
>>
>>390209325
1) none of what you just wrote is true.
2) you don't know jack shit about anything
3) nice try
>>
>>390207986
People like you are literally the reason why the new games suck so much.
>>
File: 1484154176818.png (2MB, 1300x4835px) Image search: [Google]
1484154176818.png
2MB, 1300x4835px
>>390209518
https://pcgamingwiki.com/wiki/Silent_Hill_2:_Director%27s_Cut

There is a new patch that has some files pertaining to wine. Is supposed to fix some things. Although, I'm finding that my screen is permanently dimmed after playing with it. Weird. I'm making an update to the guide now but the latest one is this.
>>
>>390209671
Nice arguments faggot

>>390209856
No it's actually old people in their 50's that spend their entire days at pachinko machines the cause for Silent Hills' cancellation.
>>
>>390181423
I really wanted to like Downpour like I really tried to like it but the combat alone made it a frustrating mess to play and the story was poopy. It was genuinely scary sometimes tho
>Enter pitch black basement
>Hear crying
>Open gated door
>Crying stops
Did a 360 and climbed back out the window
>>
>>390181423
>everything was great in it.
Shame about those absolutely awful monster designs
>>
>>390210196
People saying 'Silent Hill 2 is the only good one', caused Origins, SM, Homecoming and Downpour.
Fuck off you contrarian shithead, 2 had fuck all to do and the only attraction was the story and PT was a hallway simulator
>>
>>390209857
Thanks
>>
File: 112945.jpg (59KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
112945.jpg
59KB, 640x480px
>>390181423
>tfw Konami killed Team Silent, because they wanted to pander to western audience in newer Silent Hill titles
Thread posts: 134
Thread images: 13

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.