[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I'm still made about scalebound

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 114
Thread images: 12

File: tumblr_ojkyxv8yir1re1sgdo1_1280.jpg (139KB, 915x1200px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_ojkyxv8yir1re1sgdo1_1280.jpg
139KB, 915x1200px
let’s take a quick trip down Memory lane, shall we?
>Mad World: 3 year dev cycle
>Bayonetta: 2.5 year dev cycle
>Vanquish: 3 year dev cycle
>Metal Gear Rising: 18 month dev cycle
>Bayonetta 2: 2 year dev cycle
>Wonderful 101: 2 year dev cycle
>Korra and Transformers: 12-18 month dev cycle
>Ninja Turtles: 8-12 month dev cycle
>Nier Automata: 2 year dev cycle

>Scalebound: 4 year dev cycle, canceled
>ALSO HMM COINCIDENTALLY THE ONLY GAME PUBLISHED BY A COMPANY WITH A REPUTATION FOR MICROMANAGING PROJECTS AND DEMANDING SWEEPING CHANGES AND CANCELING GAMES VIA UNREACHABLE MILESTONES
I’m sure that doesn’t matter,
I’m sure it doesn’t matter at all
>>
>tfw never will be hyped about Scalebound again
>tfw never will customize dragon bro armor and personalize his attack tactics.

Also, monthly reminder it was Phil Scumbag the man who killed the dream:
https://segmentnext.com/2017/04/01/phil-spencers-credibility-within-the-company-was-at-risk-scalebound-had-to-go/
>>
I would honestly be super surprised if crackdown 3 came out at this point. I was almost certain it was due to be out october, but the pushback basically cemented a cancellation.
>>
fuck xbox
>>
Those underperforming niche titles allowed them to carve themselves into an industry that is fucking terrible to break into in AAA days.

Arthus Gies needs to off himself.
>>
File: 1494295799716.jpg (77KB, 422x600px) Image search: [Google]
1494295799716.jpg
77KB, 422x600px
>>390130958
Maybe it's sour grapes, but I'm actually okay with its cancellation. If it had been made, then I would have had to drop four hundred bucks to play it.
I just wish it had been cancelled sooner, so Kamiya could have worked on something else.
This brings up a good question. Does the Xbone have any exclusives worth buying?
>>
That's funny because dev cycles used to be much shorter than they are now.
>>
>>390130958
I'm in awe at how people try to defend Microsoft in this scenario, when they have done this shit before, and will keep on doing it. Truly, Xbros are the worst fanbase on /v/ on average, just not plentiful enough to matter.
>>
Oh look it's Polygon Doom review guy.
>>
>>390132235
I'm pretty sure it got announced for PC a few months before it got cancelled.
>>
>>390130958
Anyone who saw any of the extant gameplay footage knew it was going to be a total fucking slog.

I'm glad it got cancelled.
>>
>>390130958
What is the 2nd tweet referring to?
>>
>>390130958
>(arthur gies)
>>
Do these people live on twitter?

Everytime I go to check out one of their posts, they end up having 300 tweets a day

How the fuck do I find the time for that? Is it literally their dayjob? Why should I listen to anybody that has a dayjob tweeting
>>
Until ~5 years of developent cycle is fine. To make great games take time.

That said, more than ~7 is an indicative that they don't know what they are doing and the game is problably horrible.

I can't say how much is fault of microsoft or platinium, but scalebound looked to be a horrible game in the videos they released.
>>
>>390130958
I pretended to be mad about the cancellation, even though I didn't know the game existed and literally not 1 person ever talked about it.
>>
I'm really happy that Automata saved Platinum. It felt like a genuine passion work that probably made Kamiya forget about Scalebound's disaster and the fact he showed up on one of Taro's livestreams in Emil's mask was extremely cute.
>>
>>390132431
It felt forced as fuck, and way, way of Platinum's style.

Can't believe MS almost killed Platinum
>>
>>390130958
>Scalebound: 4 year dev cycle, canceled
3 years actually.
The cancellation announcement comes almost a full year after Microsoft stop funding it.
>>
File: Untitled0.png (12KB, 201x658px) Image search: [Google]
Untitled0.png
12KB, 201x658px
>>390132249
>>
>>390132525
I don't think kamiya worked on N:A
>>
>>390130958
I never knew so many people were hyped about scalebound.
>>
>>390130958
>posting some random hipster fuck's worthless opinions of the vidya industry
why are you doing this
>>
>>390132581
>conveniently blocking out X-2, XIII-2 and XIII-3
>>
>>390132656
They weren't. Until it got cancelled.
>>
>>390131982
They won't cancel Crackdown 3 at this point, that's for certain, but the game development must've been hell after all the years and delays, this last pushback was made out of desperation to not release another >70 MC score exclusive game
>>
>>390130958
I'm sure Microsoft Studios is to blame. They probably "suggested" Kamiya to change many things during development, resulting in endless delays.
>>
>>390130958

game looked gay as fuck anyway desu
>>
>>390132354
he's referring to platinum. even though it doesn't make sense
>>
File: Wonder-Red.png (253KB, 849x560px) Image search: [Google]
Wonder-Red.png
253KB, 849x560px
>>390130958
Hopefully Kamiya has learned that full creative freedom is better than stronger hardware and he'll put that into consideration when thinking of publishers for his next game.
>>
File: 1NJmSNw.png (705KB, 944x531px) Image search: [Google]
1NJmSNw.png
705KB, 944x531px
>>390132656
>https://xbox.uservoice.com/forums/251647-games/suggestions/17675614-bring-back-development-of-scalebound

Why people wouldn't? There is literally nothing else with that concept coming any sooner, just more shitty sandbox shooters and indie retro hipster platformers.
>>
>>390130958
>Arthur Gies making excuses for MS again

Thank God he retired.
>>
>>390132704
>DURR HUR i get all my social interaction and opinions from /v/ only
Plenty of people where hyped about it.
>>
File: 1d-02-0011_z4ej.jpg (1MB, 6000x2603px) Image search: [Google]
1d-02-0011_z4ej.jpg
1MB, 6000x2603px
>>390132794
Your face looks gay as fuck, yet you didn't get aborted.
>>
>>390130958
Its cause they just HAD to have coop in the game. I didbt want to play it with friends and now I cant play it at all
>>
>>390132249
And there was a lot less potential and a lot less expectation in those days. Then shit like Doom, Wolfenstain, and Quake got made, exponentially increasing the demands for development either financially or in manhours. Programming a 3d engine is not a joke, and including features like multiplayer was even more convoluted since there wasn't a pre-existing model to refer to.

FF days you could reuse engine, sprites, tiles, spells and story was limited.
>>
>>390132184
It's also very slanted when you say underperforming. Platinum has never worked with a big budget and a lot of their games have had really short development times, the only games of theirs that truly underperformed were Mad World and Anarchy Reigns, every other title they did was made so quickly and cheaply that what little sales they managed to get was still profitable. Underperforming my ass, they sold accordingly, great in fact given their development cycle. There's a reason Platinum hasn't went under, and it's because they always cut a profit. Scalebound nearly bankrupted them from the time and effort that went into it only for it to be cancelled, but luckily Nier Automata was a huge success and saved them.
>>
>>390132656
It looked like an interesting concept with a decent soundtrack and some typically corny JP acting. It was at least something intriguing and new. Instead we get a shitty GTA clone that doesn't do anything truly interesting.
>>
>>390130958
im fairly certain what happened with scalebound was that microsoft wanted some sort of boy an his dog-alike adventure game to compete with last guardian, platinum wasnt pleased with shitting out "cinematic" shovelware so they made an effort of trying to make a good game and completely missed the boat to a point that microsoft just gave up on competing with last guardian and cut losses because it was just an attempt at a dick-waving contest, not an actual effort on their part to put out a quality game for the console
>>
>>390130958
but it didn't even look good
>>
File: 1474992223156.jpg (125KB, 633x758px) Image search: [Google]
1474992223156.jpg
125KB, 633x758px
>Mountain Blade: Bannerlord: NEVER EVER dev cycle
>>
>>390133392
Who the fuck thinks trailers and videos make out for the final game? This game needed a chance.
>>
>>390133507
how were the trailers or early gameplay footages for their other games?
>>
>be a lazy dev
>expect to get $60 for some FOTM multi-player rooty shooty garbage
>cry about FUKKEN WEEABOOS when i buy japanese games with single-player content instead of buying the same shitty, MP-only, e-celeb shilled boomheadshot simulator/poorly made unfinished survival sandbox crafting shitheap over and over again

if developers are providing less content then they need to stop expecting to get paid $60-$100 for their dumbed-down counterstrike clones or 60 minute long walking simulators.
>>
>>390132656
I'll put it this way, if the game was made by any other developer I wouldn't give a shit. What the game was going to be was only interesting because of who was working on it. I was curious to see what Platinum was going to do with the game and the dragon and what mechanics would be involved, and when they announced online coop it was a fucking huge surprise and I was interested to see what that would be about. I was basically wondering if it was going to be Platinum's Drakengard with dragon segments mixed in with on the ground melee hacky slashy hoards of enemies. There was definitely a lot of potential for that. I don't know if it would have been a good game or not, but I would have liked to see it. Cancelling the game might have been for the best but it's disappointing nevertheless.
>>
>>390130958
Who gives a fuck about what this libcuck thinks?
>>
>Xbone exclusive

And nothing of value was lost.
>>
>>390133572
Trailers looking good and the final game turning out shit are nothing new, it's the old art of deception. Scalebound needed a chance because it's concept was unique, if it was to fail, then they should let it fail big time and go back to making average, geenric shitty Halos and GTA clones, killing creatity in an originality stale medium like videogames is never right.
>>
>>390130958
Its cause Xbone is a shit system.
>>
>>390132689
inv arr
>>
>>390133769
I doubt it wouldn't have made its way to PC eventually like literally every other Xbone game right now. It has basically become a poor man's PC at this point.
>>
>>390133769
It was coming for windows 10, was one of the main games of the "play anywhere" bullshit, along with Horizon 3.
>>
>>390133771
are there really no other videogame that lets you fight stuff with a dragon as a partner? or are you talking about something else when you say unique concept? I didn't really follow the development of the game but I do remember some people being underwhelmed for some reason
>>
>>390130958
Watch them announce it for the Switch tonight. The 2ch Direct leak had something about dragons so maybe that will be it.
>>
>>390132312
xbox division doesnt currently releases exclusives, it's all UWP
>>
I'm pretty sure it was MS' idea that the game should have multiplayer and Platinum couldn't deliver on it
>>
>>390133962
>are there really no other videogame that lets you fight stuff with a dragon as a partner?
There is Drakengard and that's literally it and it's only in some parts of the game, is just your average Hack&slash with some dragon sections.

>or are you talking about something else when you say unique concept?
Yes, the dragon partner and fights were the focus, you could fully customize it's fighting style and tactics as well as armor and other stuff, the coop component also could have been done well.
>>
>>390133769
https://archive.is/lKiiG
though windows store isnt really a better option
>>
>>390130958
>Posting Arthur Geis
>>
>>390133962
The first gameplay footage kinda surprised people a bit for a platinum game. It was not the typical fast pace action focus platinum game but more RPG-like with more customization and skill/item management. Co-op was weird for the mood of the game and the main character's trait as well. However, the customization system itself seems pretty cool. It would have been something different for xbone which had millions of shooters and sport games already.
>>
>>390134204
Forgot to add, Kamiya retweeted the Direct news. Git hype.
>>
>>390130958
It couldnt have been that the game always looked like garbage conceptually and every time more was shown off...nope! its the big bad microsoft thats it! the same microsoft that gave us blood wake, fuzion frenzy, ninja gaiden 2, gears of war, and sunset overdrive, thats the answer!
>>
>>390130958
>let’s take a quick trip down Memory lane, shall we?

doodlydoodlydoodlydoo
>>
>>390130958

>Arthur Gies

Wasn't he the one responsible for the footage on that Polygon Doom video?
>>
>>390130958
>Makes AA games that niche fans love
>Niche fans follow them console by console
>Puts out solid numbers.

>WAAAAAH WHY IS A AA DEV NOT A AAA DEV

People need to learn not every game needs to be the same Destiny bullshit that flops if it doesn't sell 21 million.
>>
>>390132401
They have no one to talk to so they shitpost all day on twitter. It's all about them.
>>
>>390132656
I want a game where I can play not!Dante and fight using custom Dragons.
>>
>>390135048
TOM CUH-LANCY
>>
>>390134204
What 2ch leak? I need deets, stat.
>>
>>390134204
If Platinum retained all the rights to the actual code and assets, they could do that, and it'd be fucking hilarious.
>>
>>390132431
So while time does make the game, but at the same time you need money to create it. 5 years to see a return on an investment isn't something that most investors are willing to do which is why 2 year cycles are common.

If I had to guess it was Microsoft's management which caused it to fail, not platinum games.
>>
>>390135459
Actually; it depends.

Running costs for Video games on a Publishers side are entirely dependant on Marketing and shit.
>>
File: Ahegao face.gif (1MB, 211x203px) Image search: [Google]
Ahegao face.gif
1MB, 211x203px
tfw they reuse scalebound's mechanics for a new drakengard game.

A man can dream
>>
>>390132656
Concept looked good.
Gameplay was fucking boring
>>
>>390130958
Coincidentally or not, the game that they showed on E3 and wherewer else looked like shit. There was this neofag post about seecret behind the scenes showcase OOooooOOOooooOOOOOOO, where apparently it was the best game made by mankind, but that's now what I saw. I saw an obnoxious protagonist, a horrendous artstyle, constant performance issues, coop no one asked for and slow, non-impactful, poor gameplay. You can attribute these to Platinum or to Microsoft, but it's irrelevant since the only way to fix those is to make a different game.
>>
>>390135308
It was posted in one of the Direct speculation/hype threads, maybe I can find it in the archives.
>>
>>390130958
Why?
The gameplay looked absolutely terrible when they revealed it. Even worse than FFXV's gameplay.
>>
Is there a list of studios and projects MS has killed?

What a blight on the industry. The trends they introduced and normalized are probably even worse.
>>
>>390135538
They're funding the project.. that's the entire point of the publisher. Studio promises X + Publisher demands Y for a milestone and publisher will payout to the studio.

Unless we're talking about a distributor which in the case then yeah, they'll advertise since they're going to make a cut out of every sale by basically doing nothing beyond advertisement.
>>
scalebound looked like shit in every video they showed
maybe it was because of microsoft, but it was always shit
>>
>>390136250
Everyone on /v/ in particular also could see it as a disappointingly looking game when gameplay trailers come out. It was supposed to be 30FPS but had way too many drops during the gameplay and was closer to 25. The gameplay itself looked like generic ARPG with a powerful dragon that fucks shit up for you. The protagonist looked dumb and had fucking Beats headphones on him.

Year later and there are conspiracy theories about Microsoft fucking up Kamiya's masterpiece.
>>
If you take 4 years to develop a decent length singleplayer game, you've definitely been fucking yourself over a lot along the way.
>>
>>390130958
I was only exited for Scalebound to read all the fanfiction about the MC and the dragon. Oh well.
>>
>>390137958
>>390136250
Yeah, the game's tone definitely looked like Plat's handiwork but the actual gameplay looked pretty underwhelming compared to even their most mundane titles like Transformers and Korra. Still, I was excited to finally have another dragon game. It's been so long since I played shit like Drakan and Drakengard.
>>
>>390130958
Man, why is MS so incompetent with the japs now? 10 years ago there was no problem getting stuff like Lost Odyssey, NInja Gaiden, Tales of Vesperia, etc to release as Xbox exclusives. I know Xbox was never a hit in Japan but they really shit themselves this gen. I guess Phil just hates the gooks.
>>
>>390138468
because peter moore and don mattrick actually had balls and j allard and ed fries were still on board and they made a conscious effort to appeal to the gooks. however, no matter how hard they tried, the gooks just would not bite. they still went to the ps3 and wii out of brand loyalty despite 360 being the clear winner. if those nuked alien rats actually bought into it microsoft would have always been on top
>>
>>390130958
They literally have done the same thing with Obsidian:
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2017-09-08-stormlands-and-the-million-man-raid-obsidians-cancelled-xbox-one-exclusive
>>
>>390130958
it didn't even look good. kamiya is a hack.
>>
>>390134252
Nah. Multiplayer was in from the start and it worked in that you could summon other players to help with the larger bosses like Dark Souls. The problem was the game was a complete wreck as it was way too over ambitious, Platinum just couldn't get a grip on Unreal 4 so the performance was awful and the Dragon Link system controlled horribly. It didn't work and it was cancelled. The "Neogaffer" who saw it and was claiming "Best game ever" was probably JP before he fucked off to EA.

>>390138468
Supposedly they are trying to do it slowly this time. Arc System Works were one of the first ones to get a Scorpio kit because Daisuke complained loudly how bad the xbone dev kit roll out was and he wanted to work with MS again as they were big supporters of Arc during the OG Xbox and early 360.

>>390138717
Considering Stormlands ended up reworked as Tyranny in the end. MS dodged a bullet. And that pitch sounds awfully like how Defiance turned out.
>>
What was scalebound again?
>>
>>390138925
something that needs to be weighed
>>
>>390138925
a bad game that no one cared about until it was cancelled. all microsoft needs is a decisive sega exclusive and a real ninja gaiden 4 and they are golden.
>>
I don't get twitter
It feels like you're talking into a void for no reason, just hoping someone responds. The only thing I've done on twitter is replies.
>>
>>390136285
Rare is the most obvious one. Last good game was Grabbed by the Ghoulies and I know a lot of people hated that one.
>>
>>390132885
Sometimes you need stronger hardware to have full creative freedom. He reached Microsoft ONLY because he has a huge hateboner for Sony. Ironically, Scalebound would still be in the works if he just stopped being a petty faggot and proposed it to Sony. Valve might have also been an option, but turns out he also hates PCfags. Now all he got out of the deal is also hating Microsoft. Great job.
>>
>>390140003
So he hates everyone besides Nintendo? He should try being less of a bitch then.
>>
>>390130958

I actually heard from youtubers who have inside sources that Microsoft was very pissed off on how Scalebound was handled. Microsoft was giving platinum games a lot of money to make the game. However, platinum games was literally taking developers off scalebound and putting them on other games to work on. Essentially, Microsoft was paying them to make other games. Microsoft never wants to do a deal with platinum games again.
>>
>>390130958
>Singleplayer games
>Dying

>When Fallout 4, Witcher 3, Nier Automata, Wolfenstein The New Order, nuDoom, Pillars of Eternity exists

I expect this dumb shit from Polygon tbqh
>>
>>390140165
>Heard from youtubers
Please don't talk.
>>
>>390140220
These youtubers were right before. They even knew project scorpio's real name before the reveal and much more.
>>
>>390140182
He said they aren't fag
>>
>>390132307
This. Why are we bringing attention to this faggot?

He doesn't belong anywhere near the vidya industry.

It goes in all fields.
>>
>>390140637
>But I do think the era of a developer being able to piss away four years on a game was ages ago
>When all of those games took 4 years to develop

Dumb Polygonfag
>>
>>390140748
You moved goalpost idiot

And they certainly didn't piss 4 years without anything to show
>>
>>390134960
So, it's platinum's fault, micro-employee?

>bayonetta 1 and 2
>nier automata
>wonderful 101
>Vanquish
>MGR

Yeah, platinum's fault, anon. Surely microsoft doesn't ever make horrible game making and development decisions. I see, games like crackdown 2 weren't microsofts doing.

So glad you posted heres your upboat!
>>
>>390132431
Fall Out 4 took 7 years many games take 7 years.
>>
Scalebound looked shit
>>
File: IMG_1870.png (537KB, 570x486px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1870.png
537KB, 570x486px
>>390132656
Kamiya has never made a bad game. In fact, all his games are worth buying consoles for. I'm not gonna sit here and try to convince anyone of that, but that's what his games mean to me.
>>
File: 1368570437360.jpg (158KB, 513x572px) Image search: [Google]
1368570437360.jpg
158KB, 513x572px
>>390132581
>4/10 gate was 7 years ago

Where does the time go
>>
>ywn coop dragon battle while listening to hype tunes
>>
>>390140317
>this shit again

And let me guess the reason you won't post proof is?
>>
Reminder that Gies quit Polygon because he doesn't give a fuck about your shitposts and would rather be sculpting
>>
>>390142214
How's that working out for him
>>
More like Scaley Bound, dat dragon D m i rite?
Thread posts: 114
Thread images: 12

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.