[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why does /v/ hate open world games

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 82
Thread images: 12

File: 1485384864645.jpg (599KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
1485384864645.jpg
599KB, 1280x720px
Why does /v/ hate open world games
>>
I liked Xenoblade X but that's about it, Most have boring worlds
>>
File: (you).png (199KB, 448x468px) Image search: [Google]
(you).png
199KB, 448x468px
tfw I only play open world games
>>
I hate shit games and it so happens that they have yet to make a good open world game.
>>
I'm convinced The Witcher 3 is the only game to do open world right. Dynasty Warriors 9 looks dope but the clones are making me more worried than the open world aspect right now
>>
>>390106534
Because there are so fucking many of them. I want a linear game beginning to end goddammit not some giant half assed world where it took them like 3 months to build.

Open world used to MEAN something. It was something so unique people would flock to it back in the early 2000s now a days it's expected to be in a game even if it works or not.
>>
>>390106534
Open world games with modern graphics are toaster killers so naturally /v/ being full of onderages with 5 year old computers that can't catch up absolutely HATE open world becoming mainstream.
>>
>>390107416
It sounds as if you like shit games.
>>
>>390106534
They hate that most of them are empty and repetitive, both in environment and content provided.
>>
>>390107627
It's funny. 5 or so years ago people would complain about the exact opposite thing with linear shooters saturating the market.
>>
I don't. I hate the copy paste formula popularised by ubi
>>
>>390106534
because they all suck, except for dark souls
>>
>>390107919
>dark souls
>Open world
The structure is far more Metroid style anon.
>>
>>390106752
If I didn't play any Xenoblade games but want to play one between Xenoblade Chronicles and X. Wich one should I chose and why?
>>
>>390106534
Cause they suck.
>>
>>390108023
it cant be both?
>>
File: 1495923674465.jpg (51KB, 463x513px) Image search: [Google]
1495923674465.jpg
51KB, 463x513px
>>390107373
recommend me a few good ones i could sink a fair chunk of time into
>>
>>390108094
Both are fun, X has miles better gameplay but if you want a better story then chronicles
>>
>>390106534
>climb tower
>receive same shit different tower
>>
I don't. All of Todd's games are masterpieces.
>>
>>390106534
Metroidvania>Open Meme
Borderline stuff like STALKER and Xenoblade are pretty good too.
The problem with most open world is they are just empty space with nothing to do or fun ways to interact or traverse the environment.
Exploration is good, walking at slow pace from here to there isn't.
>>
>>390106534

Over saturated market for one. They also tend to substitute an open world for a good story or good mechanics. And all too often the open worlds are empty and boring. I've played and loved many open world games but I can see why a lot of people don't like them.
>>
>>390106534
memes
>>
>>390108202
I just want to live an epic adventure that'll take to various different places. Good quests and good reasons to explore.
>>
>>390108128
When people say open world these days, they're more referring to the Rockstar / Bethesda / Ubisoft style.
>>
>>390108340
X has better adventure. Works great on cemu if you have a decent pc.
>>
Because usually the world isn't anything special and the only thing to do is fetch quests. I have to travel long distances to reach mediocre content.
At least XCX let me fly a mech though.
>>
I don't think they're bad but a lot of devs just coy paste the same side-mission structures and have uninteresting Story Missions / Main Quests.
If the locations are more than just backdrop variety and the sidequests are actually unique to them instead of copy pasted Ubisoft Towers / Races / Combat Challenge with no context or BotW Shrines.
>>
File: 1473191762657.jpg (60KB, 540x400px) Image search: [Google]
1473191762657.jpg
60KB, 540x400px
Most open world games fall in three categories.
>Copypasted bullshit sponsored by EA,Ubi and Bethesda with tons of collectibles and "activities" passed off as content
>Randomly generated stuff with no depth or meaning, one kilometer wide one inch deep
>Actual big realistic maps carefully brimming with things to do made by a team of competent people
There's only one game in the third category, and that game is The Witcher 3.
>>
>>390106534
There's a few good ones but most of them have really bad gameplay because they have to dumb down the progression of mechanics to let the player go anywhere from the start
>>
>>390108128
No because Dark Souls isn't open. It has choices but you can't head straight to Duke's Archives or the Kiln. The series mostly has multiple linear paths.
>>
>>390108523
BotW Shrines are a hundred times more varied and interesting than Bethesda dungeons and Ubisoft towers/challenges.
I'd probably bother to play more open world games if they where more like that.
>>
>>390108340
Play XC
It's a much better adventure and you'll have more drive to continue. X has a great open world and a mech but the adventure is awful. It's more like you're just being dragged along for no real reason because your not even the main character.
>>
>>390106534
Because it's an example of western """game""" """"""design"""""".
>>
File: 1-ff13art.jpg (47KB, 620x345px) Image search: [Google]
1-ff13art.jpg
47KB, 620x345px
>>390107627
>I want a linear game beginning to end

I got'cha, brah.
>>
>>390108596
but /v/ says the witcher 3 is shit.
>>
>>390106534
People don't hate open world games, people hate bad sandboxes.
Nobody hates Gothic, and that's open world.
>>
>>390109137
>Can't do linear
>Can't do open world
>MMO's actually doing ok
The fuck happened to this series?
>>
>>390108596
Is this post bait? TW3 open world in Ubisoft tier.
There's a half dozen tasks copy pasted across the whole map.
Hell, it's arguably even worse than an Ubisoft game because there's mechanically nothing different between the tasks.
>Kill bandits, run up to treasure chest, press x to open
>Kill bandits, run up to cage, press x to free prisoner
>Kill monsters, run up to treasure chest, press x to open
>Kill monsters, run up to monster nest, press x to destroy
>>
>>390109137
Doesn't have to be a hallway. DMC3 is one of my favorite games of all time and it's linear.
>>
>>390108874
They are far too short and easy, the only ones that I can actually remember are the ones that take place in the world where you had to move the spheres, the island that takes all your items or the tailing mission.
The ones that were just 2-5 minute puzzles easier than Skyward Sword Puzzles were forgettable and become more like chores later especially when you noticed the same puzzle structures repeating.
>>
File: 1494778887239.jpg (12KB, 251x242px) Image search: [Google]
1494778887239.jpg
12KB, 251x242px
>>390107373
>when instead of finding the original you a make a pisspoor attempt at Photoshopping out the Photoshop and don't even bother to change the filename
>>
>>390108181
super mario bros for the nes
>>
>>390109195
Is Gothic really that good? It's the only open world game I never see anyone talk shit about. The Witcher 3 gets more shit.
>>
File: maxresdefault.jpg (60KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
60KB, 1280x720px
>>390109000
>Because it's an example of western """game""" """"""design"""""".

But it seems to be a thing in Japan too.
>>
>>390106534
It's not the open world people hate, it's just the lazy devs that insist on it.

I actually feel lucky since I have never played a boring open world game yet but maybe that's because I don't bother with triple A bullshit. Why do people keep playing these games when it's obvious they'll be trash? Why don't you have patience and wait to see if the game's actually good before buying it?
>>
>>390109440
If you never see anyone hating on it, what does that tell you? I'm pretty sure there's a bunch of videos on youtube explaining why the world of Gothic works, go seek them out.
>>
>>390106752
I always hear that xenoblade x had an empty world?
>>
>>390106534
I hate them because my dad was killed by open world game.
>>
>>390109351
>They are far too short and easy
And yet still:
>BotW Shrines are a hundred times more varied and interesting than Bethesda dungeons and Ubisoft towers/challenges.

Yeah, I would have liked to see more real dungeon content, but I like this more than I liked those.
>>
>>390106752
This. Xenoblade Chronicles X and XC1 had really cool open worlds with collectibles. Most open world games are just dogshit and recycle the exact same biomes and landmasses to be "realistic".

The biggest problem is the lack of unique items. Linear games are great a lot of the time because thought goes into what fills the space.
>>
>>390109473
Those games are still new as fuck. Hasn't been a thing in Japan for long. Versus XIII wasn't even open world. It was large segmented areas before XV made it seamless.
>>
>>390106534
Because they are popular.
>>
File: 1338134541668.gif (768KB, 500x340px) Image search: [Google]
1338134541668.gif
768KB, 500x340px
i love open world games but open world nowadays just means a large area with literally nothing to discover.
give me some games where it's actually fun to roam around and find interesting things, items or even bigfoot.
>>
Excuse for simplistic gameplay, the genre of lazy devs
>>
>>390109689
The world is unique in terms of environment and the exploration is fun most people that say its bad have never played it since its a wii u game.
>>
>>390109328
Not to mention it has a shitload of backtracking. The middle of the game is weakest with you returning to the same grey rooms over and over. Near the end is where shit gets awesome. Chess room is my favourite.
>>
>>390106534
Large spaces of featureless terrain and copy/paste buildings are my reason for disliking them. Everyone creams over larger maps, but they completely ignore the fact that those large maps have shit-all to do in them. The larger the map, the more you have to stretch the team's attention to detail. I like the idea of BOTW and Far Cry using their maps as playgrounds for gliding, sliding, driving, etc. But once you're on the ground or your vehicle breaks, then it's just a painful trudge.
>>
>>390107528
>The Witcher 3 is the only game to do open world right
oh yeah, it sure is fun finding sword reskin #2342, and fighting the same enemies over and over again while finding literally nothing of value, interesting, or any characters with side quests out in the game world.
>>
>>390107664
i just got my new 1070 and i honestly despise open world games.
>>
The trick to doing open world games right is providing combat upgrades for exploring. Encouraging exploration by making the gameplay better is a good way to keep people interested, be it unique weapons, unique armour, spells, powers, or well written quests with characters.

Skyrim almost did it but it had VERY few unique items, almost every chest was randomized bullshit many levels below usefulness and all the dungeons were the exact same draugr crypt copy-pasted.

Developers just don't have what it takes to make a decent open world yet.
>>
>>390106534
Its so oversaturated every game has to try and be open world today and commonly they are either just copying Ubisofts shitty mechanics or its another crappy open world early access survival zombie game.
>>
>>390109372
retard frog poster
>>
>>390110413
Blood and Wine is a good expansion. It gives an area about 1/4 of the original game full of new shit. I left most of Velen and Skellige unexplored but a vast amount of BnW open world is actual mini-stories, treasure hunts, book explaining why bandits are places and dialogue.

Like I was riding to find some armour a few days ago and it turns out it wasn't where the marker on the map was - it had been moved somewhere else as a twist. In traveling to the new spot I encountered a bleeding man which triggered a quest and since then I've just been hitting every quest and point of interest along the way.

But yeah, for some reason they still do loot even though everyone by this point is full-crafted Witcher gear - so loot is basically you picking one of the six armour sets and sticking to it.
>>
>>390111065
Why do I want to gently deflower Noctis?
>>
>>390110737
I think you have the right idea. Played a bit of Doom 4 recently and I like how you get upgrades for finding secrets around the metroid prime-like levels.

However my made told me that you never backtrack, so missing that portal or statue is permanent loss of upgrade points. That made me anxsty, becuase I'd want the BEST guns and permanently missing some gameplay because of not doing it in the perfect order is a clam in the ham.
>>
>>390106534
None of them have actual handcrafted level design apart from BotW.
>>
>>390106534
all open world games are teases. they're like a world I'll never be able to actually go to and fully explore. that's frustrating as hell.
>>
>>390108340
Chronicles is way better and more interesting adventure. What other game has the world on the corpses of two titans?

X is short and the adventure really phones it in. I couldn't even be bothered to finish it because I learned I was 90% done with the story, but barely anything had even happened yet.
>>
I started replaying Red Dead Redemption yesterday and holy shit it's still fucking great. The game world is small by today's standards but it feels likes it's much better designed that recent shit. The NPC's interact with each other and aren't just robots that walk by, they talk with each other, including the stumbling drunks.
I'm both hyped and scared about Red Dead 2, I'm really hoping Rockstar doesn't make the game way over the top like gta V.
>>
>>390106534
Because they usually lack pacing and coherent level design, and need to depend on a big bland chunk of sameness and skinnerbox formulas.

They can be good, but the concept lends itself to lazy Skyrim-like game design very easily.
>>
>>390111790
>make RDR, a game about the death of the wild west
>then make sequel
Eh?
>>
File: garry.webm (2MB, 960x540px) Image search: [Google]
garry.webm
2MB, 960x540px
>>390106534
Because one of the more popular ones, like skyrim, does it very poorly.
The only thing you need is a fun mechanic for traveling. Bonus points if it take a little bit to git gud at it(tribes skiing, just cause 2 para-hooking).
If you at any point need to teleport 'fast travel' then the open world itself is just so much empty space with no purpose.
>>
>>390112105
What anime is that?
>>
File: _20170228214824.jpg (2MB, 3840x2160px) Image search: [Google]
_20170228214824.jpg
2MB, 3840x2160px
>>
File: red.webm (2MB, 720x404px) Image search: [Google]
red.webm
2MB, 720x404px
>>390112262
not an anime, its from an upcoming game: battle chasers
>>
>>390106534
They're very seldom done in a way that doesn't make the world feel like a lifeless sandbox. Eventually it gets to the point where the world doesn't even matter, and you're just fast traveling between points to move the game along.

RDR so far has been the only open world game to make me feel differently.
>>
>>390111920
Do you not know about Red Dead Redemption 2? Have you been living under a rock?
>>
>>390108094
none. the art style is trash. all the settings/the world is meant to be like semi/hyper realistic looking, with insanely high detailed (not resolution detailed, but "realistic" detailed) textures and you run around as some half naked weeaboo character. it's like if you modded skyrim so that you were an anime character in it. fucking dumb as fuck.
>>
>>390106534
i loved open world games.
the first 3 gothic games were fucking amazing. and while the first two arent technically real open world games they were open enough for my taste.
but holey moley. once gothic 3 had all its bugs fixed via then fan patches i couldnt put it down it was so good. that being said since then there hasnt been anything quite like it.
witcher 3 comes close but it doesnt quite scratch the same itch.
also daggerfall
such a good game.
>>
>/v/ gets sick of open world games
>hates anyone who uses quick travel
>>
>>390113332
>don't play an open world game
>never have to fast travel at all
>don't end up in empty lifeless world where you want to skip shit

problem solves itself
Thread posts: 82
Thread images: 12

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.