[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

is this worth a buy?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 91
Thread images: 8

File: Fatal Frame.jpg (51KB, 660x350px) Image search: [Google]
Fatal Frame.jpg
51KB, 660x350px
is this worth a buy?
>>
nope, total dog shit.
>>
>>390017951
no redeeming qualities?
>>
>slow
>tedious
>too much backtracking
>ambient soundtrack is annoying chanting too often

Nah, there are way better games that capture spookiness.
>>
>>390018685
have any recommendations?
>>
>>390018748
Anything that isn't Fatal Frame. All of their games are slow, tedious, and suffer from way too much backtracking, and I like RE1,2,3 and Code Veronica, but even by those standards Fatal Frame has too much boring backtracking.
>>
>>390018685
All Fatal Frame games are like that, you control a qt but slow girl that can barely defend herself from the ghosts and must solve a lot of puzzles that require objects found around the haunted mansion/town/hospital/cavern/shrine/hill/forest. You need that mindset to enjoy the series, this is no RE or SH game where you can shot the monsters on the face with your shotgun or run as fast as you can to avoid combat, included boss battles.
>>
>>390017928
I liked it a lot. The mission based structure of it kind of broke up the atmosphere and made it less spooky than it could have been, but it's still really solid. I recommend.

In terms of Fatal Frame, I'd rank it like this:

2>1>4>5>3

They're all good though.
>>
>>390017928
While I like this series overall, 5 had some serious pacing problems. While these game all have backtracking, it got really bad in 5 with the way it would send you back to your house at the end of each chapter (forcing you to have to walk through the same areas again at the beginning of a new one). I personally don't mind the slow pace, and if you are into these types of games, then 1 or 2 are both much better choices (I feel 3 also suffers from a lot of the same issues as 5).
>>
>>390019530
I agree completely about the pacing, but I don't think it's necessarily to do with backtracking. Backtracking can be great in a game designed around it like oldschool RE, where you feel like you're getting the lay of the land and piecing everything together, the problem with FF5 is that the missions are more like linear levels than an area you inhabit, and so instead of backtracking with a fresh set of eyes, you're just trudging through to get where you're going simply because you have to.
>>
>>390017928
yeah, it's super spoopy
>>
File: 20170522_220328.jpg (818KB, 2064x1161px) Image search: [Google]
20170522_220328.jpg
818KB, 2064x1161px
It was my dream to own and play off the physical disc on my american wii u. Finally hacking scene caught up and used the region free disc loading app to finally play it. Feels goodman.

I like
4>1>2>5>3
>>
>>390019467
What is 3 really? Is it a good game or a bad game? I want to check this series out and I'm waiting for a sale but every time I go on threads like this I can't make my mind whether I buy the trilogy or just the two.
>>
>>390017928

Only if you are a fan of the franchise. It is easily the worst of them; too easy, blatant padding, shit story, level design kind of meh, virgin loser fapbait bullshit.
>>
>>390019836
It's good, it's just not as good imo. It's mostly that it's just not as memorable as the others. Each one has moments that I can recall super vividly because they have such a distinct atmosphere, but 3 was kind of just...a little generic maybe? Still definitely worth getting and playing, Maybe try and get a good deal on it if you're worried about it though.
>>
>>390019836
3 is good and worth playing. Has some good moments it's just not as good as the first two.
>>
>>390019836
Its not terrible. I honestly like the tatoo maiden and the protaganist gets a thumbs up for being older instead of being a highschooler. The mansion was just bits and pieces from part 1, 2 and 3. so it felt like it didnt have its own identity. You have these interludes between chapters that occur in your house aat first its a safe place, but like silent hill 4 it because a scary place. I love the design of the house in this game and wish to emulate it one day in some nonexistant future of mine. Ending theme song is great. Like the other anons said, its not bad, but just not as memorable.
>>
File: MfNsouS.jpg (25KB, 509x432px) Image search: [Google]
MfNsouS.jpg
25KB, 509x432px
if nothing else there is this
>>
>>390020002
>>390020003
I see. I'm hoping for a flash sale one of these days. I know it's not a Siren thread, but as a survival horror fan, would that also tickle my fancies?
>>
>>390019834
how can i do that?
i have my EU copy and ive been waiting to play it on my wiiu?
>>
File: 1494968017215.png (530KB, 968x938px) Image search: [Google]
1494968017215.png
530KB, 968x938px
>le FF3 is shit meme
>>
>>390020187
Nintendont, I'm pretty sure. The question is, can you just download games on a USB or something and play it from there instead of buying discs.
>>
>>390020242
Support the series nerd. It barely sells as is.
>>
The only scary part is that tall woman.
>>
>>390019834
Damn, nice collection. I'm still pissed we never got a physical version of 5 in the US. Was the remake of 2 any good?
>>
>>390020242
i could but i dont wanna shill 50 dollars on a digital game knowing full well the wiiu will kill off the eshop eventually thats why i bought the physical disc
>>
If you get the nip version.
>>
just hack your wii u and download it for free.

hack takes like 20 minutes
>>
>>390017928

Damn it, you reminded me that I need to finish the fourth game. I played I-III in 2015 and had a great time. Started Fatal Frame IV that same year and still haven't finished it.
>>
>>390020167
Well I can tell you that I LOVE survival horror, a LOT, and I just could not get into Siren at all. I tried so hard, and it has a really good atmosphere and aesthetic, but the gameplay is just so....clumsy? Unintuitive? And I don't mean clumsy like retards talk about tank controls being clumsy, I mean on a conceptual level it's really awkward for me to play. Not just because of controls or whatever.

Your mileage may vary, and it definitely has a cult following, but I just can't into Siren no matter how bad I want to.
>>
>>390019069
>games that capture spookiness
>RE1,2,3 and Code Veronica

nobody thinks RE is spooky
>>
File: Fonz.jpg (27KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
Fonz.jpg
27KB, 640x480px
3 is far and away the best of the series
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hGFt5e7gM_o

see this video. its for the latest firmware. 5.5.2

What you will need
-Sd card properly formatted. If you use an old sd card that are 2gb or less they might be already formatted correctly. I pulled a 1gb card out of an old camera. Stuck the zip files form the you tube video on the sd card. went to the URL and the app was called ourloader or something.

Dont stop there though. Buy Brain Age like in the video so you can run the install hackchi app to not rely on the web exploit that it sure to get patched again. Running the install will replace the brain age game with a hardware installed version of the apps you can run. If not every time you want to play Fatal frame you will have to be online and hope the xploit let you through.

good luck, ill be in the thread to answer more questions.
>>
>>390020269
I definitely would, but I don't want to go on another duck hunt like I did with my PS3 collection. I just want to play NMH2 and Escape from Bug Island, and it seems like finding a cheap copy wont be easy.
>>
>>390020209
Literally no one in the thread said FF3 is shit, moron. Even the people who rank it below the others say it's still a good game.
>>
File: Tall_Woman_concept.png (1MB, 504x1107px) Image search: [Google]
Tall_Woman_concept.png
1MB, 504x1107px
>>390020290
I was expecting to have a fight with her at some point, and was kind of let down when it never came. It may have been for the best though, she might not have been as scary if we could actually defeat her.
>>
>>390020370
Thanks, I'll hold off on it for now until I get a decent PC for emulation.
>>
>>390020167

The PS2 Siren games are exercises in frustration, some of the most unforgiving and shitty stealth mechanics in any game coupled with nonsensical puzzles. PS3 Siren remake in an attempt to make the game more accessible maybe went a little too far in the dumbing down and it's episodic nature is a little irritating.

Personally, I'd maybe recommend the PS3 one just to get the story without dealing with the frustration but if you don't bother you really aren't missing much except maybe one of the most ridiculously stupid and simultaneously awesome endings to a horror game.
>>
Nobody really emotes in the game. Everyone seems like they are possessed and doll like.

Also that short haired girl is cute.
>>
>>390019836

3's good, but man, do not play it in Nip if you don't have much experience yet. It was basically my first experience with the game (playing it for an hour or two 10 years earlier doesn't really count) and boy was it a pain. Still enjoyed it though.
>>
>>390020446
Can I pirate games and play them through USB? Does it work for Wii and GC bc or will I need discs for those?
>>
>>390020367

I need to do that. Any recommended SD cards? I'll probably only pirate a few games, I bought most of what I'm interested in already.
>>
>>390020540

That's kind of by design. Most of the characters are depressed and contemplating suicide so they all have a very dejected and deadpan personality. It reminds me a lot of Kurosawa's films. There are moments of emotion though.
>>
>>390020539
>recommend the PS3 one
You mean Blood Curse? I kinda forgot that existed, didn't even know it was a launch title. PS3 really was on the nogeams status back then, huh.
>>
>>390020426

I don't even know what's the most popular anymore. I remember when there were only three games everyone said that II was the best. It was pretty good, but honestly, so far for me it goes

1 > 2 > 3 > 4

2 and 3 are certainly mechanically better and has the more interesting fights, but goddamn I like the Himuro Mansion.
>>
File: 20170910_182228.jpg (1MB, 2064x1161px) Image search: [Google]
20170910_182228.jpg
1MB, 2064x1161px
Honestly 1 is the scariest. In newer games people rightfully accuse the ghsot of being just grey see-through people. In part 1 it wasnt this way. The ghost the fight you are heads, torsos, monsters with long arms. After part 1 the ghosts stick to this strick human form. I litterally shouted when this thing popped on my screen. Also if you could take any of the newer fatal frames and think of a hardcore mode, you would end up with fatal frame 1's gameplay/

>Ghosts wander and lead to random encounters. No scripted by the book shit every time.
>Ghosts attack you if you while you open doors. In all other games you become invicible during the animation/
>Ghosts follow you through walls and across rooms.
>Ghosts dont give you this long wind up with plenty of time to get that zero shot. They usually grab without warning and ignore more 'fair' spacing during thier attacks like in the newer games.
>Ghosts chain combo you if you stand still. In the other games they push themselves back to give you time for that counter attack shot.
>>
4 was made by Suda51 right? I would have loved to see the kind of insanity he could have brought to the franchise.
>>
>>390020657
I buy all my Wii U games friend. I only wanted to get as far as letting me play the console in a region free state. Im pretty sure if you continue past those steps you can find out how to do just that. The zip file in the youtube video seems to have an app to install games already in it called WUP installer so yeah.
>>
>>390020997
isnt there an app like in the wii that lets you play physical imported discs without downloading isos?

thats what i wanna know
>>
>>390020827
You know, what you're describing reminds me of some Korean game called White Day. In that game you encounter ghosts through random encounters but they can only be activate if you read their ghost stories first. The only difference is that there's no way to counter it so you just run away and find out they'll follow you unless you go through a loading screen. Fug, I hope with the camera it's less scary.

>>390020997
So I don't need the original discs for Wii/GC games like Killer7 or NMH2 if I do this? That sounds pretty sweet, hell, I'm down buying WiiU games.
>>
>A Couple of the Shrine Maiden ghosts actually do a sexy pose when you point the camera at them.
>The same jiggle physics engine as Dead or Alive
>Ayane's outfit.
For a horror game about suicide there are a fair bit of sexy moments in the game.
>>
File: P006.png (2MB, 2032x3000px) Image search: [Google]
P006.png
2MB, 2032x3000px
>>390020495

Hey, I recognize her.
>>
>>390020296
This might sound really specific, but I enjoyed the camera angles way more in the ps2 version. The ps2 version was fresh in my memory and I loved this atrium room with a sky light and plants growin in the middle of teh masion. It had a gorgeous view. In the wii version I felt like I couldnt appreciate the environment like I could in the ps2 version.

Also it was obvious the girls were aged up because they didnt want to make new 3d skeleton models for younger girls. They just recycled the 18ish year old frames from Fatal frame 4.
>>
>>390020956

No insanity, he plays it straight. Did a decent job of it though. He touches on some of the same themes as 5 and does a much better job of it.
>>
>>390020657
You can hack your Wii U in a similar fashion as og Wii but there are some differences. The most important is that you never should install coldboot hax, is too risky and if you plan to use the BR Method to play games from your USB, use a HDD with a AC adapter or a normal one with a Y-USB cable, never use normal USB sticks.

Follow the guide on /vg/.
>>
>>390019289
Nigger what? Fatal Frame is great because it actually has good combat.
>>
>>390021243
Great mango. I'm always fascinated about the the lady, she rarely shows up in anything. I haven't even seen a live-action Japanese horror story episode thing about her. If you do, please link.
>>
>>390021167
On the Wii U i used the app called Ourloader to play Fatal Frame 5. I didnt want to play an ISO. Im a real deal kind of guy. so im not sure if thats what you wanted to know. I've heard of people hacking the Wii portion of the Wii U to be hacked as well, but its outta my leauge.
>>
>>390021475

Afraid I don't know anything else with her either. It's a shame, because there's just something about her that I like.
>>
>>390017928

I loved it in spite of its pacing problems. WiiU is the best console to make a camera based game on and Fatal Frame 5 is resounding proof of that IMO. Easily the most actually fun game in the series if you don't mind spinning around like an idiot trying to take pictures of digital ghosts.
>>
>>390020495
i may be wrong, but when i played it and missed her i googled it and saw youtube fight with her. Its just you have to probably backtrack to this location in a specific point that i missed.
>>
>>390021393
I never said the combat was bad. First, you can't avoid combat in FF unless is an unwinable fight, second, you have a camera to fight ghosts, not a shotgun or other weapons to do massive damage to most enemies.
>>
>>390020797

Same about the Himuro Mansion. I also think the games after 1 are considerably easier but it's that dingy as all fuck ambience that makes 1 one of my all time favorite horror games.
>>
>>390021682
>WiiU is the best console to make a camera based game on and Fatal Frame 5 is resounding proof of that IMO. Easily the most actually fun game in the series if you don't mind spinning around like an idiot trying to take pictures of digital ghosts.

You actually used the motion control? I just used the buttons and sticks. The only thing there isn't a button for in regards to the motion controls is changing the orientation.

Frankly, I found it really irritating that I couldn't just play on the big screen and had to keep looking at the tablet for no real reason other than it's there and the devs are going to make us use it.
>>
>>390021783

>not a shotgun or other weapons to do massive damage to most enemies

You use stronger films for massive damage.
>>
>>390021852

>You actually used the motion control?

Played through the game twice with them and loved every second of it. It is unironically what I wanted out of the WiiU more than anything else.
>>
>>390021852
this so much.

games 1 - 4 have had me at least yelping every now and then. 4 getting the most yelps. On 5 i felt this disconnect from myself and the game when i was looking at the tabet. No way could i be afraid of something on a tiny 4 inch screen. Had more fun with regular controls
>>
>>390022005

That's weird to me because it had the opposite effect in my experience - it made me feel like I had the Camera Obscura in my hands. It increased immersion for me instead of taking away from it. Guess I'm just an oddball.
>>
>>390022089
mechanically i felt like it was an improvement, but I just couldnt get scared of the tiny ghosts
>>
>>390022089

You really didn't find the input lag and inaccuracy frustrating?

Actually, now that I think about it, those shitty motion controls that needed to be accommodated for must be why the game is so easy. It's like playing a FPS designed for thumbsticks with a mouse when you opt out of the motion controls.
>>
>>390021783
>First, you can't avoid combat in FF
Yes you can, very easily.
>you have a camera to fight ghosts, not a shotgun or other weapons to do massive damage to most enemies.
And it results in a battle system that is both fun to engage with while actually adding to the horror instead of making you feel like you have nothing to worry about.
Are you retarded?
>>
>>390021859
You also have the Fatal Frame mechanic, which in combination with the special films, make the combat more strategic than classic RE or SH were you just pull the trigger of your weapon. To be honest, I feel FF was designed around the combat and the score system, meanwhile RE was more about exploring the map and finding ways to optimize your route to avoid combat and do less backtracking and SH was more about the lore and puzzles.
>>
>>390022157

Eh, to me it felt like looking through a viewfinder.

>>390022232

Didn't notice either of those things. If anything, I found the free aiming of motion controls to be much faster and more accurate than any stick aiming I've dealt with, though to be completely transparent I've never favored stick aiming. Would much rather have motion/stylus/mouselook controls.
>>
>>390017928
No
>>
>>390022418
this was my biggest let down. You have to constantly be pressing the 'reset camera orientation' button, im not kidding, every 5 seconds or else you would end up in wierd position in real life.
>>
>>390022350

And there's not just fatal frames, there's all kinds of special shots and abilities which you can combo together for damage boosts and other effects.

The combat in Fatal Frame is fairly well thought out for a horror game and when you get good at it you can slaughter ghosts in seconds whereas an amateur will be struggling against them for minutes.
>>
>>390022548

I actually got out of my chair for combat and spun around in full circles. I must've looked retarded but I didn't care, shit was great. Don't really recall reorientation being an issue otherwise I would've dropped the control scheme and called the game my disappointment of the generation.
>>
>tfw only own FF3 on the PS3
>still haven't touched it since I was meaning to play it on Halloween back in like 2015
>>
>>390022773

Don't start with 3, only play that after playing 1 & 2.
>>
>>390020956
Co-directed
>>
>>390022817
I had a feeling. Are the Xbox versions of 1 and 2 good?
>>
>The Fatal Frame series shares a continuity with Dead or Alive and Ninja Gaiden.
>>
>>390022856

I played the PS2 versions myself so I can't say but I hear they're the definitive versions. Good news, both 1 and 2 are standalone entries so you don't need to play those in order. Once you get to 3 though there starts to be callbacks and relations that assume you've played the previous entries.
>>
>>390022856
yes. I have the ps2 version and found the xbox version of 1 at a pawn shop for 2 bucks. For whatever reason my original xbox didnt want to read the disc even though it looked pristine. Played my other games when i checked. Luckily it is backwards compatible on the 360 and i am playing it that way. So far out of dozens of cutscenes the only error is some cutscenes appear black with no sound.
>>
>>390022939

Is that confirmed? Because that's kinda cool if it does. I know Ayane's in 5 but you can also just throw a crossover in because fuck it, you own both IPs and want a goddamn crossover.
>>
>>390022856
Xbox version of 1 is definitely the best
2 is okay either in Xbox or Wii
>>
>>390022856

They are fine, though many don't like that the xbox version of 2 adds an "inappropriate" ending.

Honestly, you don't HAVE to play 1 & 2 before 3, it's a new story with a new character, it just also refers back to events of the previous games but not in a way that their plots are meaningful to the plot of 3. Let me put it this way, the specifics of what happened in 1 & 2 are irrelevant to 3, just that some people went through 1 & 2 is what matters. 3 would spoil the canon endings of those games for you but that's about it.
>>
>>390023067
Koei Tecmo loves their crossovers.
>>
>>390023067

The Tecmo universe has about as much meaning as the Nintendo universe. It's not like this is an epic bit of lore or something.

Besides, it's clearly not true because Ninja Gaiden's continuity involves catastrophic world wide events that cannot be consistent with DoA or FF.
>>
>>390021475
>>390021596

While the actual origins are unclear, she more or less came out of a 2ch creepypasta which could've been an adaption of a campfire story. You can find a translation by just googling Hachishakusama Other than that and the manga there's a hentai animation with her in it.
>>
>>390017928
Yes, best game in the series
5>wii remake>2>3>4=1
Thread posts: 91
Thread images: 8

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.