[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Personal opinion on the M&L 3DS remake

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 4

File: hq720.jpg (157KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
hq720.jpg
157KB, 1280x720px
I want to give a personal opinion on the upcoming 3DS remake of Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga. I'm fan of the series and played them all. I was initally excited to the announcement of a remake of the first game, but after watching various videos I'm now skeptic.
> First, it looks way TOO similiar to the original GBA one: yes, graphics were redone, but I'm disappointed they decided to use a full 2D engine over the 2D/3D one of DT/PJ. Delibarate choice or time constraints?
> Sprites and animations are somewhat worsened compared to the original GBA game: the Toads in the intro are less expressive, and Koopa Troopas have a generic look instead of their pilot outifts from the original.
> Maps, dialogues and cutscenes are copypasted 1:1 from the original game.
> The new 3DS-exclusive subgame Bowser's Minions looks confusing and bad. Definitively not a reason for buying this remake if you still own the original.
> Other than Bowser's Minions subgame, there seems to be no truly new content. Wonder if there's at least a Boss Rush.
Maybe what I'm saying is bullsh*t, but this looks like a remaster than a remake. Also, no wonder why this game got next to no marketing, being overshadowed by other games like the superior Metroid: Samus Returns. Heck, even the sh*tty ORAS remakes were better than this! Alphadream could and should've done better. Hope reviews or a price cut will change my mind.
>>
Yeah, I'm pretty sure this is a stopgap to put something out as they work on the next instalment, most likely on Switch. On the point of the graphics, they aren't even making the game support autostereoscopic 3D, so it's clear they had less time/budget than usual. I disagree on the sprite animations looking worse, they have their usual maddening amount of frames like the previous 3DS games and look very smooth. Your mileage may vary on the look of the sprites themselves, some look less expressive, but I think it's a conscious decision to make them look more on-model (which they do).
Bowser's Minions looks pretty clear-cut once you understand the setup, you should watch the demonstration they had at Gamescom: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wA-rJ2cJGZU&t=10m

From the same presentation, you can see they have at the very least added completion checklists for beans and stuff in the main game. I hope they have the challenges too.
>>
>>389976998
the art direction is shit. If the gameplay improvemnts are trivial then I'd rather replay the original.
>>
>>389976998
>bullsh*t
>sh*tty
>>
>>389977565
Are Goomba/Koopas etc. controlled manually, or are they CPU controlled, with inputs limited to special moves?
>>
>>389978081
CPU. Your troops are divided into close combat, ranged attackers and flying units, each with a triangle of strenght/weakness towards the other two. You're told in advance what kinds of troops the enemy is going to deploy and you can decide the formation of your troops in advance (from closest to the general in the back to the front line) so that they'll be most effective against the enemy formation. During battle, you use command points to activate the special moves when effective and you can empower your troops attacks by reacting at the right time. They explain it better than I do in the video.
>>
>Censoring bad words

lefl

Anyway, it does feel a little unnecessary, but maybe Nintendo thought this would be a easier method for everyone to experience those games while revising the art and music.

It's a shame that a lot of that stylistic freedom kind of goes away on this remake which makes the style and the enemies much closer to the NSMB/Dream Team aesthetic. A lot of people might also argue with me on the fact that I just seem to prefer the black borders around the characters because it makes them stand out more from the background.

This seems more of a game for those who haven't experienced the original yet honestly. The soundtrack might sound better in some occasions, so at least that's something.
>>
>>389978880
>>389977774
About censoring bad words: I censored them because I'm educated and I thought they would be offensive.
>>
>>389979709
Your education doesn't matter here. you're anonymous and nothing is tied to it. For all I know I'm not even responding to OP
>>
>>389976998
Mario and Luigi has never been bad, why are you in any way worried?
>>
>>389976998
>too simmilar to the original
what are you smoking
>sprites and animations worsened
yup
>copypasted from 1
good, so they won't fuck it up
>new minigame
is an extra, I hope I can have fun with it, if not then whatever
>no new content
agreed, a boss rush would have been fun, didn't DT have a boss rush mode? this stuff is extremely easy content to make that only improves the experience
>>
>>389980093
I'm worried because I'm fearing this remake might be mediocre compared to the original GBA game. Nintendo always makes great remakes, I don't want this to be ORAS-quality (and everyone knows how ORAS are mediocre compared to RSE).
>>
>>389980420
>>no new content
>agreed, a boss rush would have been fun, didn't DT have a boss rush mode? this stuff is extremely easy content to make that only improves the experience
Calm your tits, we don't know about there being no new content yet. They've had boss rush for the past three games, it's a staple at this point, along with the secret superboss at the end of it. I think it's fair to expect this remake to have it too.
>>
>>389980420
>>389980808
I trust alpha dream, I am sure they will add a boss rush in and maybe a few more stuff
>>
>>389980808
why are you quoting me? I was just responding to OP, and I gave him the benefit of the doubt and assumed that he had that info about the game not having additional content
>>
>>389980420
I'm not smoking, I've seen video comparisons to the original. I know it's a remake, but some things could've been changed: dialogues, maps and cutscenes are copypasted from the original, they could at least change them or expand them. This gives the impression of a recycle, instead of an improvement.
The new minigame is an extra, but gives some new backstory.
>>
>>389976998
Does Nintendo market here, or is it a case of obsessive fans spinning every, tiny thing that's wrong with anything Nintendo into a positive?

How the fuck are you Switch fags so autistic?
>>
>>389981260
>praise nintendo
>NINTENDO SHILLS
>criticize nintendo
>NINTENDO SHILLS
what?
>>
>>389981260
You sure you clicked the right thread to shitpost in? We're talking about a 3DS game here.
>>
>>389976998
Bowser's sprite isn't puke-worthy like the original so it's already the superior version to far to me. If it had a run button like Paper Jam it would hands-on be the best version.
>>
File: 1354950725855.gif (731KB, 400x300px) Image search: [Google]
1354950725855.gif
731KB, 400x300px
>>389981260
>get into a thread with people talking shit about a 3DS game
>complains that we're praising a Switch game
??????????

also
>Nintendo
>having a market team with 2 brain cells
>let alone buying shills to promote their games
>>
File: smug ai.jpg (77KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
smug ai.jpg
77KB, 1280x720px
>he still buys 3ds games
>he hasnt gotten a cia of superstar saga
>>
>>389980093
Paper Jam was pretty bland.
>>
>>389982681
>If it had a run button like Paper Jam it would hands-on be the best version.
SSS' environments are tiny though, would it really be needed?
>>
>>389983494
Anything that can cut down backtracking is inherently a good thing.
>>
>>389983612
>le exploration is backtracking
I'm really, really tired of this meme
>>
>self censoring
>spelling mistakes
>sentence structure of a 12 year old
The Nintendo marketing department is running out of shills or what?
>>
File: 1504446445664.png (245KB, 1000x1000px) Image search: [Google]
1504446445664.png
245KB, 1000x1000px
>>389983320
YARRRRR SHIVER ME TIMBERS
i too am a pirate
basically anything that gets released on 3DS now is 40 hours of free entertainment
Thread posts: 28
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.