[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Destiny Lore thread

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 70
Thread images: 18

File: J9Ln5gV.jpg (839KB, 4000x2203px) Image search: [Google]
J9Ln5gV.jpg
839KB, 4000x2203px
I never played Destiny but I'll probably buy Destiny 2 on PC if it's not an horribly bugged mess, what should I know beforehand?
>>
shoot the aliens
>>
That it's shit.
>>
Wizards come from the moon.
>>
>>389969494
>Destiny
>Lore
LOL
>>
Destiny actually has a shit load of lore, but they didn't put it ingame. A lot of lore is in grimiore cards and the game just sprinkles in references. Just today I found a podcast called fire team chat that has HOURS of lore discussion and theory.
>>
>>389970418
This. The most lore you'll get in game is a handful of tidbits here and there, like how the Vex have an organic core or that the Cabal armies aren't allowed to go home until they win the war they go to fight.
>>
>>389970418
I have to wonder why they removed Grimoire cards in Destiny 2. At least have some kind of summary so people don't go 'What the fuck are the Hidden?' 'That the fuck is Eliskni?' 'What the fuck is a Reef?'

Then again, most people didn't read the Grimoire in the first game, so.
>>
there's not much you need to know since they retconned most of it in the second game
>>
File: 1412025961899.jpg (57KB, 321x264px) Image search: [Google]
1412025961899.jpg
57KB, 321x264px
>Destiny
>lore

I don't have time to explain why I don't have time to explain.

Just shoot the not-human and pray to RNGesus you get a nit shit gun, you fucking faggot.
>>
>>389969494
Exo´s are actually Humans the numbers they got above their heads means how many times they have been rebooted
>>
File: Destiny_Game_Concept_Art_11b.jpg (255KB, 1200x750px) Image search: [Google]
Destiny_Game_Concept_Art_11b.jpg
255KB, 1200x750px
>>389969494
Humans discover space God orb on Mars. They call it the Traveller. The Traveller "Uplifts" humanity by giving them technology, power, and terriforming the solar system for them. Mankind enters a collective golden age and spreads to the stars across the solar system. One day, something happens and the golden age comes collapsing down, wiping out mankind to the last. Except for one city, the last city on earth, which was protected by the Traveller as a last stand. The traveller was injured and now lays dormant or dead above the last city on Earth. In the meantime since the end of the Golden Age, creatures from across the galaxy have been attracted by the power of the traveller and the vulnerability of mankind, and now effectively squat in the ruins of the golden age.

The players are Guardians, human warriors granted powers by the traveller and the travellers robotic servants (little floating balls called "Ghosts") who strike out into the ruins of the solar system to generally kick ass, reclaim what was lost and prevent the last city from falling to its enemies.

This very strong premise is then utterly wasted on a shallow loot grind with no narrative. Stay away.
>>
File: john cleese.jpg (17KB, 367x388px) Image search: [Google]
john cleese.jpg
17KB, 367x388px
>>389969494
I recon gravity doesn't exist in that universe
>>
there's some kind of ball that used to be badass and terraformed the solar system but then darkness or some shit weakened it so it could only protect a city in russia, besides that all you really need to know is you're a russian zombie and there are aliens to shoot
>>
File: efd.jpg (19KB, 403x392px) Image search: [Google]
efd.jpg
19KB, 403x392px
>>389969494
I swear to god if i have to wait for D3 to know who the space kangz are..
>>
File: 1461237181458611013.jpg (64KB, 800x451px) Image search: [Google]
1461237181458611013.jpg
64KB, 800x451px
>>389971108
>tfw we could have gotten a nobledark open world shooter-RPG
>instead we got a noblebright shallow loot simulator

I will never not be mad. I remember all the ARG stuff and the hints, project aerospace, Ad Astrum, all that shit in the years after Bungie left Halo. All for some gutted Borderlands clone.
>>
>>389969494
There's no need for you to lurk for lore if D2 is your starting game. New writers killed everything interesting and atmospheric there was in D1. It's just the shooting part left and believe me, all its' flaws will shine anew on PC. I'm disappointed with PS4 release. It feels nothing like a full sequel. Something like a retcon/remake DLC.
>>
>>389971342
>>389970953
I have heard this multiple times about them retconning Destiny, how much did they change?
>>
A basic gesalt, space magic is real in the form of light and darkness. It's up to speculation if it's just blantant good vs evil or if it's more of a star wars thing with balance.

Anyway, that sphere in your pic is "the traveler" a mysterious machine with AI. It chose to help humanity. Think of it as a literl living god. It ushered in "the golden age" this tripled human life spans and made us one of the most technilogical advance races out there.

The travelers main purpose in my opinion really is to be a artificial god, it traveled the solar system terraforming planets and humans expanded to Venus, mars etc.

Now here's where I'm not 100% since I'm just getting into learning the deeper lore.

On our journey into space we start to find aliens. One race "the fallen" were the first and we kicked there ass. We realized space was dangerous so we made a crazy solar system wide defense system as a deterrent with an AI (maybe more then one) named Rasputin.

One day "the darkness" infected "the vex" which were robots made by the traveler to terraform planets. Something went haywire and they started converting entire planets into machines. This made Rasputin the AI go into war mode and that somehow fucked up our planets and even the traveler.

Destiny 1 is quiet a bit after these events, a couple centuries I believe. All of humanity is gathered up in one last great city under the "sleeping" traveler. In the travelers last bit of miricals he made the ghost.

Ghost travel the world looking for there guardian. It can be anyone who has ever died from shit hitting the fan all those years ago and reserects them. The guardians were made to keep light around and protect humanity while the traveler is dormant. They can use the light in ways others can't. Take control of matter in a way. Think like a nerfed version of doctor manhattan. One class like the hunters can will into existence a gun of pure light energy that can one shit most things. And guardians can't die.
>>
File: [laughs in rape].jpg (11KB, 190x223px) Image search: [Google]
[laughs in rape].jpg
11KB, 190x223px
>>389969494
>if it's not an horribly bugged mess
Too bad it is
>>
My Name is Byf (youtube him) is a channel focusing on Destiny lore. He did a big 90 minute video explaining everything up to D2 if you want the full shebang.
>>
>>389970418
there were the whole shit storm about it
at first they were going to make Halo tier campaign with story telling and everything

but then papa publisher just pop up and say nah
too much works too much money
iirc the lead writer got so fed up with it he literally quit the company
>>
>destiny
>lore

The lack of any lore being present in the first game (where they offloaded it into a separate app) killed all my interest in it.
>>
destiny 2 is such a shit game
>>
>>389971741
There's other races with plenty of there own history as well. I kinda lost my train of thought to keep going on, but the resources are out there. Sorry for the Reddit spacing but it was a lot of info
>>
>>389971985
Thanks for the contribution, champ.
>>
File: disgusted.jpg (3KB, 125x125px) Image search: [Google]
disgusted.jpg
3KB, 125x125px
>>389971320

>gutted borderlands clone

same shit being hyped for Fallout 4. I was hoping for at least a game as tolerable as Fo3, but instead got a shittier Borderlands.
>>
Titans are the best.
Hunters are okay I guess
Warlocks are cucks
>>
>>389972245
Have you played 2 yet? Titan is literly outclassed by everything. The fucking warlock is a better tank and has one ability that does better at it then your entire skill tree
>>
>>389972245
Trve patrician power levels:
Voidwalker = Bladedancer = Subreaker > powergap > everyone else from D1 > powergap size of the time Variks needs to pronounce a sentence > D2 new classes
>>
The awoken were the first humans to flee earth during the fall. Can't remember what happened to them but it changed them to what they are now.
>>
>>389972480
No I haven't
I'm gonna wait for the inevitable super duper complete edition.
I was basing that statement on destiny 1
>>
>>389972580
They were hit by "first shockwave of Darkness", died and got resurrected into the way they are.
>>
>>389972581
Sorry for the news then lol imo its warlock is the best pve, hunter pvp, and then titan has like maybe one viable class. Only played warlock so far though so maybe I'm wrong
>>
>>389972581
>super duper complete edition
That's what bothers me. Judging by how Bungie dropped D1 and how most of MMO/multiplayer games are made to last for a year or so nowadays, i seriously worry that D2 will live only as much.
>>
>>389971108
>This very strong premise is then utterly wasted on a shallow loot grind with no narrative. Stay away.
This is what I wanted to know.

Based on what I read up on before it seemed like a bretty gud game, but I have enough Grindy Loot Simulators in my life to take on another.
>>
>>389972662
I wonder what that shockwave of light was about after the credits. Curious if it changed any races in the same regard. Let alone what ever those black pyramid ships were
>>
>>389972851
I mean destiny 1 never really died I hear. I'm sure the game will be strong until the next one
>>
File: ROI_FEVER_AND_REMEDY-.png (971KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
ROI_FEVER_AND_REMEDY-.png
971KB, 1920x1080px
What is your weaponfu from d1?
This thing was a fucking cannon
>>
they fired lore-guy and made it dumpster tier
>>
the game is shit
>>
>>389973046
>retarded fucking pebble blocking the entire tube where the bullet's supposed to fly out
>>
>>389969494
tfw want to wait for PC
tfw trying to be blind

Threads like these are bait to me
>>
>>389973046
>HÄKKE
:-DDDDDDDDDDDD
>>
File: shaxx.png (168KB, 535x466px)
shaxx.png
168KB, 535x466px
>>389973046
The football tackle that the titan had was really fun
>>
>>389972124
Yep, from Fallout 4 I was expecting a mechanically improved Fallout 3 with some serious Blade Runner/cyberpunk undertones and thematic/atmospheric inspiration. Instead I got a Flanderized Fallout™ experience with a half baked plot and non-existant atmosphere with gameplay that was basically incompetent Far Cry.
>>
>>389969494
That witch is from the moon!
-Tyrion
>>
>>389972245
Hunters are the canon protagonist class.

The one thing thats shitty about them is that they need to refocus their aesthetic more on roughneck space cowboy frontiersman than nothin personnel sniper edgelords.
>>
File: 1465822639382.jpg (12KB, 201x195px) Image search: [Google]
1465822639382.jpg
12KB, 201x195px
>>389969494
The first game was disappointing to me seeing as how Bungie was developing it.
Compared to Halo there were no interesting weapons or vehicles, just the usual rifle and shotgun tier shit with a sci-fi skin.
>>
>>389971636

Well the only thing that sticks out to me so far is the idea that there is and has only ever been a single Warmind (Rasputin), when I swear to fucking god it was heavily implied/outright said that there were multiple Warminds across the Solar system or at least on Earth.

Its been ages since I played D1 (and I didn't play it all that much) so I may be remembering things wrong.
>>
>>389972939
The black pyramids are supposed to be whatever the Darkness used to almost kill the Traveller the first time they met on Earth.
>>
>>389973046
>a fucking trapezoid smashed into the side of the barrel
how the fuck does it fire
>>
>>389977162
It's actually growing out of it, it's a magic AI virus thing, don't worry about.
>>
>>389972567

The way Bungie designs their encounters in Strikes and the like versus how they design the classes themselves really make no sense.

Basically every big, huge HP boss-type enemy has a ground stomp attack they will whip out at a moments notice the SECOND you make even the slightest attempt to do any kind of melee against them, and then Bungie also makes several of the classes based almost entirely around some kind of melee schtick, to the point where a significant number of Supers in the game are entirely melee. It doesn't make the slightest bit of sense. You could say "Well they're more designed around wiping out the packs of adds that pop up" except regular guns can generally take care of that relatively well anyway.

Makes me feel shitty when I try to do Strikes as Titan Striker and the only real help I can do with the last boss is shooting it and the occasional grenade.
>>
File: guardian.jpg (63KB, 475x864px) Image search: [Google]
guardian.jpg
63KB, 475x864px
post guardians
>>
>>389969494
>>389970418
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_2avSq-82oI
Almost whole history in one video, nigga know what he is talking about.
>>
>>389969494
Please look up D1 lore videos there are some things in D2 that will make you go "OH!" for example look up Vault of Glass Extra Lore by My Name is Byf there's a mission on Nessus that explains the Vex behavior.

Also by the time D2 comes out for PC look up exotic weapon guides, so look them up so you don't confused or lost.
>>
What's the lore behind the other playerraces? Like the robot and blue guy.
>>
>>389978634

The Awoken I'm not too sure about but the Exos, based on some tidbits that have recently surfaced in 2, are humans that were converted into robots for one reason or another, possibly because they were going to die. You find this out when you get a snippet from one of Cayde-6's journals that's an old entry of him pre-Exo'd, which is a message to his son explaining how he had to be changed or he was going to die, and that he was going to find him and his mother afterwards.
>>
File: 1494211220662.png (2MB, 836x1172px)
1494211220662.png
2MB, 836x1172px
>>389977990
>>
>>389978634
Robots where literally humans, they just upgrade themself, to be better and to become a weapon.
Blue guys just... appeared?
>>
File: 1502400733868.gif (1MB, 480x270px) Image search: [Google]
1502400733868.gif
1MB, 480x270px
>>389969551
Pretty much this only desu
>>
File: C5MvOjtWAAYZob1.jpg (27KB, 600x338px) Image search: [Google]
C5MvOjtWAAYZob1.jpg
27KB, 600x338px
>tfw you realize Destinyfags are the COD kiddies.
>>
>>389971108
That actually sounds good. It's a shame that I couldn't even figure that much out from the first game.
>>
>>389969494
you should know that you should not buy Destiny 2. Go play Warframe instead.
>>
File: Deep_Stone_Crypt.jpg (169KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
Deep_Stone_Crypt.jpg
169KB, 1920x1080px
>>389969494
One of my favorite bits of lore is from one of the Exo grimoire cards, it was about how some Exos have dreams where they find themselves traveling toward a huge tower and the plains surrounding it are filled with all the people they've ever known or killed in battle.

It felt inspired by the Dark Tower especially after Bungie put the "Go then, there are other worlds than these." quote into one of their updates. I almost always use this mark as a Titan.
>>
>>389977990
>>
>>389978634
From what I remember of the cards in 1 the Awoken were humans who fled Earth when the darkness first showed up rather than staying to fight. They found something out the edge of space that changed them blue, something to do with The Nine maybe?
>>
>>389974623
I'd say the exotic weapons were one of the best parts. True to form from Halo they put a lot of neat details in them that you could inspect from first and third person.
>>
>>>/vg/
>>>/r/eddit
Thread posts: 70
Thread images: 18

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.