[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Underrail Thread

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 207
Thread images: 16

File: header.jpg (70KB, 460x215px) Image search: [Google]
header.jpg
70KB, 460x215px
Persuade me to push through this game.

People seem to be enamored by it, and I saw several anons call it "the real Fallout 3", so I was sold.

I bought it, played it for about 3 hours, and I just can't understand what am I missing:

>Hugely minmaxed character misses every second shot with 80% chance to hit
>Every shot deals 1/8 enemy HP of damage, but the enemies can kill you in 6 attacks (that they have more of). Essentially, arming you with a peashooter. It feels like smacking the enemies with a flacid penis would deal more damage
>Absolutely no plot development before getting thrust into the world
>Absolutely no character developement
>Almost no meaningful dialogue
>Almost no meaningful choices in a dialogue
>The character moves slower than a kid in a wheelchair
>Long black windows every time you switch scenes
>Grid based exploration
>Horrible camera and UI
>Did I mention the horrible UI?
>"Trap" skills that are almost entirely useless in-game

I REALLY want to enjoy this, so please, redpill me on Underrail.
>>
undertail lol
>>
There's no need for all that shitty bait if you want an Underrail thread.
>>
>>389936367
I felt the same fren, what games do you actually enjoy?
>>
>>389936367
It's a meme, this game is actually shit.
>>
>>389936483
I'm so fucking tired with /v/ calling all criticism bait now. FFS, come on already.

>>389936489
Well, I've largely enjoyed most oldschool RPGs: Fallout 1&2&NV, Baldur's Gate, Mask of the Betrayer, KOTORs, Planescape Torment... Hell, I even loved Torment: Tides of Numenera! I'm usually very open to RPGs, even if they're mediocre, but Underrail... Man oh man...

I love pretty much all games that excel either in story or the gameplay, even the modern stuff like Infamous, Bitcher, EDF 4.1, Diablo 3, Heart & Slash etc.

>>389936514
Man, I think I'm gonna agree, but SOME people do actually enjoy it. I was wondering if I'm missing out.
>>
>this retard actually bought exploration-heavy rpg for "dialogues"
>didn't even saw any cool quests to begin with
Also your character is garbage by the sound of it.
>>
File: 1471381454044.jpg (11KB, 399x399px) Image search: [Google]
1471381454044.jpg
11KB, 399x399px
>>389936851
>I'm so fucking tired with /v/ calling all criticism bait now. FFS, come on already.

Then you need to get good

wrongwrongwrongwrongwrong

>>Every shot deals 1/8 enemy HP of damage, but the enemies can kill you in 6 attacks (that they have more of). Essentially, arming you with a peashooter. It feels like smacking the enemies with a flacid penis would deal more damage

get a better gun then

post your build it's probably bad

>Horrible camera and UI

what's wrong with the UI?
>>
File: 1492712117492.jpg (46KB, 640x352px) Image search: [Google]
1492712117492.jpg
46KB, 640x352px
AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
Is this nigger serious?
You literally can beat every single fucking encounter in the game by forcing enemies to swim in traps.
>>
>>389937153
Exploration? It's a fucking corridor simulator, with Lockpicking/Hacking blocking off rooms. If you think that marks "exploration-heavy" checkbox - you're mentally disabled.

I didn't buy it for dialogues. Nice strawman, anon.

>"didn't even saw any cool quests to begin with"
Nice grammar. Also, I've quite literally talked to every single NPC in the station, and only received two quests, one of which is quite literally "shoot a rat with a crossbow". Absolutely incredibly cool quest right there, huh?

>your character is garbage

Max Agility and Dexterity, High Perception. Maxed Guns, Stealth and the defensive skills. By all logic it should be an absolute crackshot. But it's more of a simpering retard shooting peas.

>>389937449
>Then you need to get good
What? Get good at /v/?

>wrongwrongwrongwrongwrong

"Oh boy, I sure do love merchantile and persuasion, which is literally barely used"

>get a better gun then

Can't. I have 200 cash. I loaded the game and hacked in more money to buy a crossbow with a ton of damage, and even that only kills the weakest enemies in 4 shots.

>post your build it's probably bad
Read up. AGI&DEX 10, CON 3, PER 8, INT 3, WIL 3. Max Guns, defensive abilities, hacking, lockpicking, stealth, oddity XP.

>what's wrong with the UI?

Unintuitive, small.

>>389937542
Not the literal Trap skill, you retard. I meant Persuasion, Intimidation, Merchantile, Throwing and the like
>>
Is the new dlc out? Anyone got the torrent link?

I have similar problems to yours op, even with classic f1 im trying to play through for the past 5+ years and im getting closer and closer Just dont force it and keep it in the back of your head
>>
>>389937919
I guess I'll try.
>>
>>389936851
No, it's bait. Seemingly well crafted and detailed, but upon further scrutiny it's obviously full of contradictions.

>I saw several anons call it "the real Fallout 3", so I was sold

By this we can assume you're a fan of Fallout 1/2, yet half of the OP is complaining about things that are common in both of those games (lack of character development, getting dumped into the world, slow walking speed). Complaining about RNG accuracy and "grid based exploration" are a dead giveaway.

Also, claiming traps are useless suggests you're familiar with Underrail, since it's well known that traps are one of the most useful things in the game that applies to almost every build. Claiming that something universally accepted as great is really shitty and useless is classic bait that invites fans to come in and "correct" you while also sparking discussion about the game in general.

At least you tried.
>>
File: 1452274332579.png (855KB, 4289x3161px) Image search: [Google]
1452274332579.png
855KB, 4289x3161px
>>389937683
>Exploration? It's a fucking corridor simulator
You're clearly not even past a fucking tutorial so please don't open your mouth about something you don't understand.
>and only received two quests
Oh so you admit you haven't seen shit yet.
>Max Agility and Dexterity, High Perception. Maxed Guns, Stealth and the defensive skills
Then you are using your weapons outside of their effective range.
>Persuasion, Intimidation
Extremely useful situationally, especially for getting better story outcomes.
Yell is a good trait as well.
You don't even need to put a lot of points into them as long as you're playing a willpower-based psi.
>Throwing
50 in Throwing is useful for almost every character as it allows you to use grenades without killing yourself on regular basis.
>>
>>389936367
I've played this game on release and I remember it being really good, kinda like a proper spiritual successor to fallout, but I don't remember WHY I actually liked it, fuck.
>>
>>389937976
>lack of character development
Most characters in Fallout are way more interactive than any main characters from Underrail so far.

>getting dumped into the world
Uhm, no? All Fallouts have extensive and explanatory intro videos, explaining the state of the world, the main events and the setting. I still have no clue what Underrail is supposed to be. Post-apocalypse? Noir sci-fi?

>slow walking speed
Yeah, that's fair.

>Complaining about RNG accuracy
Fallout had more going with its accuracy. It was very easy to get 95% chance to hit very early on, however further difficulty and RNG was implemented by the VATS system. This game has none of it.

> "grid based exploration"
Fallout didn't feel like a grid. It was, sure, but it was NOWHERE NEAR as boxy as Underrail, come on.

>claiming traps are useless suggests you're familiar with Underrail

Not the literal Trap Skill. I'm talking about Trap Skills, like Mercantile and the like.
>>
>>389938112
No, I don't fucking understand. And no one underrail fan can explain how it evolves and when exactly it becomes not-shit.

>Oh so you admit you haven't seen shit yet.
How shit is your reading comprehension? I clearly told in the original message that I only managed to play 4 hours of it, and I can't see ANY reason to go on. It's slow, boring and bland. Not to mention the combat is horribly made. Not quite Age of Decadence-bad, but pretty damn bad.

Idk, I really DO want to love this game, but it's making it really damn difficult.
>>
File: 2015-12-26_00014.jpg (313KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
2015-12-26_00014.jpg
313KB, 1920x1080px
>>389938978
>And no one underrail fan can explain how it evolves
If you would rather shitpost and whine here instead of actually playing a fucking game and seeing what it has to offer past tutorial then maybe, just maybe you will actually see it with your own eyes.

Just fuck off, retard.
>>
>>389939478
Thanks for nothing, prick.
>>
>>389936367
>he didn't take Aimed Shot at level one
Derailed as fuck
>>
>dumped CON
>complains about low HP

lol
>>
Man, the fans of this game are fucking cunts.
>>
I liked the game a lot but then it became a chore and got really painful at one point. It's the only game similar to shadowrun even though the gameplay mechanics were superior.
>>
>>389936367
Are Point Shot and Rapid Fire worth it for assault-rifle based characters? I've been trying to do voodoo math and work out if it's worth it in early/midgame for extra shots, considering eventually I'll have two bursts/turn.

Also, for the delicious lore of the mysterious pillars do you need actual points in the Psi skills, or can I see them just by having enough Will?

>>389939832
Comes with the territory, jack. There are a couple who are particularly vociferous, but I think if you post a bit later you should get more replies.
>>
>>389940113
Probably not worth wasting feats on them.

Just Will.
>>
File: 1457607115895.png (226KB, 468x345px) Image search: [Google]
1457607115895.png
226KB, 468x345px
>tfw discovering the Oculus base
>>
>>389939478
Gorsky is such a fucking asswipe
"LoL MC please help me"
"FUCK OF MC, I AM NOW A GANGER"
>>
>>389940274
>Probably not worth wasting feats on them.
>Just Will.
Wonderful, thanks anon. I only made it up to Foundry before I stopped playing for a while, so I'm just about to restart - I didn't take them the first time, but this time I saw their low AP cost and started to wonder if it was worth it.

I should have asked - do I need to have taken the Psi-pill? Or do I just need sufficient Will?
>>
No one here or anywhere else can convince you to like a game you don't like
Cut your losses here and stop wasting time trying to enjoy a game you won't enjoy
>>
I literally can't even fucking kill the Azuridae at the beginning of the game. What the shit do you even do after activating the first generator? My build is similar to >>389937683 , but I put less points into Traps, and more into Persuasion.
>>
>>389940631
But he's absolutely right about one thing - Protectorate should be driven out of south underrail.
>>
>>389941013
bring some molotovs, they kills the bugs quick
>>
>>389941054
t. Drone
GAS THE DRONES RACE WAR NOW
>>
>>389941054
GAS THE DRONES
METRO WAR NOW
>>
It's a complicated mess and I can't get through any fight without dying.
Shit game. 0/5 points, do not play unless you are a masochist.
>>
>>389940669
>do I need to have taken the Psi-pill? Or do I just need sufficient Will?

Good question. I actually don't know.
>>
>>389936367
Is it just me or is lockpicking less useful compared to hacking when it comes to utility? Lockpicks might open a few lootboxes but hacking overrides turrets, lighting and doors etc. Currently at Depot A.
>>
>>389937683
>Exploration? It's a fucking corridor simulator, with Lockpicking/Hacking blocking off rooms. If you think that marks "exploration-heavy" checkbox - you're mentally disabled.
might want to get past the tutorial first, lad
>>
File: 1455344617926.png (255KB, 319x317px) Image search: [Google]
1455344617926.png
255KB, 319x317px
>>389936367
Qué?
>>
on another note. i have 100% precision 10 agi and 10 end in fallout 1 and damage recieved from them flunctuates around 30 to 6.How am i supposed to kill the fucking death claws especially in the basement. Furthermore, toches, how to they work? i light one but it does fuck all i kinda think im doing something so terribly wrong on a fundamental level there is no excuse for heaving such difficulties with death claws. I killed 5 through pure luck alone i have the feeling, why?
>>
>>389941054
>not doing the right thing and gas the drones
>>
>>389941013
>What the shit do you even do after activating the first generator?
Kill the rathounds and that berk who lives with them, activate the rest of the generators, go back to Tanner who'll give you another quest. Give Jonas' watch back to him so he gives you an SMG, it's really helpful for gun-using characters because it gives you access to Burst fire and additionally it's AP cost will be lowered by your high Dexterity.
If you're running into Azuridae that early I think you've gone the wrong way.

Anyway, how I kill Azuridae at low level:
-Fight them one at a time if you can, never more than two at a time
-Get as close to them as you can, spend your first turn running right up into their face (even as a ranged character) so they waste part of their action points running away (which they'll always do if they can, even before attacking)
-Wait for them to expose their brains before attacking, and hit them with your strongest attack (Aimed Shot because you did take it at level one... right? Bursts are also great if you're close)

Alternatively: molotov cocktail to the brain
>>
>>389939832
fuck off you whiny little bitch
plebbit would welcome a fag like you with open arms, you should go there
>>
>>389941358
>Good question. I actually don't know.
Looks like I'm going to find out, then. Thanks for your help, though, anon.
One last question - does it have to be base Will, or can I use Junkyard Surprises to get me there?
>>
>>389941840
>How am i supposed to kill the fucking death claws especially in the basement.
Mad criticals from Aimed Shot with a high-critical weapon like the .223 pistol or Plasma Rifle. If you can put them down quickly enough you can go for eye/head shots, or you could try and cripple their limbs to make them less dangerous.
>How do flares work
They remove the penalty for shooting a ranged weapon at a target standing in less-than-full illumination. I never found them particularly useful, especially against Deathclaws because they move so fast you'll only have them lit up by the flare for one round at most.
>>
>>389941654
Probably social skills or pickpocket or maxed throwing.
>>
File: fallout 2-min.jpg (65KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
fallout 2-min.jpg
65KB, 500x500px
Underrail sucks OP, just stick to the classics.

Except for The Quest on Steam, I haven't played a good modern RPG
>>
>>389942127
Thank you. I'll try doing itnow.
>>
>>389937976
Nope, I was confused in the beginning too.
But after few hours I started to enjoy, 80 hours in at this moment.
>>
>>389942127
>>389941082
I just can't kill the 4 azuridae near Newton. They kill me in a single turn. The molotovs and even frag grenades only deal like 50% HP damage to them.

Who the fuck designed this game.
>>
>>389942812
No worries anon, good luck!
Remember it's really important to use all the tools at your disposal (molotovs/flares/EMP grenades, special ammo, even different guns) and it's especially true at lower levels.
>>
>>389942539

So no special gimmicks besides weapons i need to consider? I knew that shooting the eyes is preffered thanks to some mutant but is it adviseable to always shoot one and the same body part despite already hving a heavy wound being inflicted on it? RNG is really mean in this game tho
>>
>>389943152
Oh and one more thing, Burst SMG attack literally only deals like 10% of their HP in a single burst. And that's if all attacks hit. My Gun skill is maxed at 25 (33) right now.
>>
>>389943152
are you charging them so they can only bite instead of using their psi powers?
>>
>>389943152
always run up the them so they don't use their OP Psy-Rape powers
>>
>>389943325
>>389943381
Yep. It's easy enough for the single ones up north, but the ones in the south (where there's a group of 4 of them) is really tough.
>>
>>389941013
the outposts are the rooms with the power switches in case you were wondering about that.
>>
>>389943152
>>389943202
>>389943717
Is this in the generator building?
You should be able to engage the first (by itself or with only one other beetle) and bait out its first attack to get it to expose its brain. Follow up with a molotov and then retreat into the first room, so they have to walk through the fire and take damage to get to you, preferably around a corner so if more than one appears you can stack them up. Use a hypo and Burst them to death when they get to you, possibly using another molotov or frag if you need to.

>Oh and one more thing, Burst SMG attack literally only deals 1-% of their HP in a single burst
Are you waiting for them to expose their brain? It should be doing at least between a quarter and a third of their health.

Make sure your weapon isn't broken! An icon will appear below your character portrait if it is, and I don't remember what condition the one Jonas gives you is in.
>>
What's the highest weapon frame can you find? I haven't seen more than ~ 118 so far, but I have power core 138 for example.
So for good shield emitter with 2 frequency modulators you need way more electronics than mechanics for the good gun.
>>
>>389944752
Thank you, I've already dealt with them (after using up half of my nades) and reached Junkyard.

Thank you very much for your suggestions, but I just give up. The damage calculation of this game really indicates that I will not enjoy it in the slightest. I just can't handle games, where unarmored humans require 30 bullets in them to die. And yes, my SMG is an upgraded laser SMG, with full durability, shooting point blank in a lit up area.

I really did try to enjoy it, but I know for a fact I will not dig this game going further ahead. Between a huge lack of ammo, insanely durable enemies and a very bland feel to everything, I feel like I'm gonna pass.

I'll just go to the wiki and read more about the story and whatnot, but gameplay just ain't for me.
>>
>>389941378
You're right, but taking only one of them triggers my autism.
Do you guys know where to find some rare oddities? Like loaded dice or train logs or lurkers eyepatch. I think I explored almost everything but still missing 1-2 instances of these.
>>
>>389940669
>do I need to have taken the Psi-pill? Or do I just need sufficient Will?

You need to take the pill, Will alone is not enough to even begin the visions.
On Silent Isle it's even more complicated, if you have the pill, the Will, but not the skill, the Pillar will sic 5 doppelgangers on you. And no vision.
>>
>>389945197
>insanely durable enemies
It's not that bad as you think, read the wiki about damage reduction and resistance. You're probably using low-caliber 5mm smg and more than half of damage is stopped by armor threshold.
I'm playing with a pistol character and with 7.62 pistol I could kill these bugs fairly easily even through brain armor. You just need to maneuver in order to hide from their neural attack, sprint is awesome feat probably for any character for this reason.
>>
Wasteland 2 is the real Fallout 3 Anon
>>
>>389946339
lolno
>>
>>389945197
That's a shame, anon, but you're right in that you can't force yourself to like a game.
Just out of curiosity, could you give me a screencap of your SMG's damage range? Admittedly, I was using an smg and an assault rifle, but I remember that by the time I hit Junkyard I was DAKKAing people to death in one burst, two if I missed enough shots on the first.

>I'll just go to the wiki and read more about the story and whatnot, but gameplay just ain't for me
No worries, anon. Thanks for giving the game a go anyway!
>>
>>389946094
No, I was using a 7.62 SMG. Barely any damage.

>>389946339
Tried playing it. I definitely enjoyed Wasteland 2 more than Underrail, but it's a really pisspoor game. Much closer to Fallout 1&2, though, I gotta admit. Still, the world just felt incredibly bland.

>>389946709
Still, you were super helpful. Thank you.
Uhm, damage range? Yeah sure, let me just fire up the game again.
>>
>>389945628
>You need to take the pill, Will alone is not enough to even begin the visions.
Damn, I was planning an assault-rifle/heavy-armour build and I was hoping to go without the Health hit since I don't have a huge Constitution. Is it manageable? Or at least, is there nothing stopping me from taking the pill when I've gained a few levels and have some health to spare?
>spoiler
Thanks for saving me from being gangbanged to death by visions anon. It's Thought Control you need, yeah? I should be able to find enough skill points by shaving off some crafting.

Does the Will requirement have to be natural Will, or can I cheat with Junkyard Surprises?
>>
File: Capture.png (135KB, 293x710px) Image search: [Google]
Capture.png
135KB, 293x710px
>>389946709
There you go. Bought it in the Armory.
>>
>>389941378
Kinda? It is true that hacking has a bit more variety to it, but lockpicking opens ventilation shafts. And there are many situations where having access to the vents makes life much easier.
>>
>>389947407
Don't crowbars open vent shafts as well?
>>
>>389947378
Azuridae armor : 40% / 10 (25% / 5 when brain is exposed), applied higher.
>>
>>389947463
Yeah, but you need to pass a Strength check. It can be done even with 3 STR if you stack Rathound Regalia/power Fist, food, and adrenaline, but that's not very fun.
>>
>>389947463
You need STR for that, 7 or 8.
>>
>>389947672
>>389947597
I see. What about omnitools?
>>
>>389936367
>>Hugely minmaxed character misses every second shot with 80% chance to hit
>>Every shot deals 1/8 enemy HP of damage, but the enemies can kill you in 6 attacks (that they have more of). Essentially, arming you with a peashooter. It feels like smacking the enemies with a flacid penis would deal more damage
Stopped reading. This is either terrible bait or you're a moron and don't realize. There is no way you should be having that much trouble with an actual min/maxed character.
>>
>>389947735
Omnitool requires lockpicking skill as anon said before.
>>
>>389947743
Okay. What would be a TRUE minmaxed character then, anon?
>>
>>389947743
>There is no way you should be having that much trouble with an actual min/maxed character
My char is pretty minmaxed, I had a lot of trouble in the beginning. After depot A game got easier and more fun overall.
Just look at weapon stats in the beginning and armor of enemies
>>389947378
>>389947575
>>
>need to minmax you character to get anywhere
>OP still has trouble with the game

NOPENOPENOPEFUXKINGNOPE, someone tell me it isn't true, was going to check this game out after I finish my SMT3 Ng+, but I absolutely refuse to metagame in a singleplayer RPG, completely ruins the experience for me.
>>
>>389948164
Well have fun. Underrail is incredibly focused on minmaxing. As a matter of fact, it is impossible to beat the game with a pacifist character, because there is a mandatory arena mission in the middle of the game.
>>
>>389948164
Just plan your character from the beginning.
>>
>>389948235
In other words the developers are too shit to balance their game and make multiple character builds viable. I'm going to pass on this one.
>>
>>389948164
You don't need to minmax, but you shouldn't forget that combat is very important in this game so don't make a build that's shit at it. It's not too hard, just pick a combat skill and max it along with its attribute. That's all it takes.

Other than that the only rule of thumb is that you shouldn't try to make a jack of all trades character. It's not too restrictive though, you will be able to max at least 8 of the skills. But depending on your build you will end up with even more skills than that, since there are synergies, boosts from attribute, and non-combat skills in general only need maxing if you don't invest in the attribute that governs them.

Just don't expect to be able to do everything with one build and you'll be fine.
>>
>>389948494
Hahahaha, no. There are so many builds you can make. Pacifism is for pussies.
>>
>>389948494
There's a lot of different workable builds.
It's just a design where enemies have abilities and power like you, you really need wit to outmatch them using environment, consumables and exposing weaknesses.
>>
>>389948164
It doesn't require minmaxing and it doesn't require metagaming at all, but it's not going to be easy if you want to try and run a jack-of-all-trades build either. Like >>389948412 said you want to plan your character out from the beginning, and pick what you want to specialise in. Combat is a very important part of the game, so you'll want to be good at some form of it, but you have enough skills that it's not overly-restrictive - and base attributes are more important where they relate to your chosen combat skills than, say, crafting.

>>389948494
>and make multiple character builds viable.
Multiple builds are entirely viable, though, you just shouldn't expect to do everything on one character.
A short list of viable builds: assault rifle/heavy armour build, SMG stealth build, SMG/knife build, sniper build, gunslinger pistol build, specialised (energy and chemical) pistol build, offensive psi build, unarmed psi-monk build...
>>
>>389948494
Pretty much, yeah. There's still a large variety of combat builds, but not so if you don't want combat.
>>
>>389948235
>pacifist character
those work in rpg so rarely it's pretty much just exceptions
>>
>>389947224
>is there nothing stopping me from taking the pill when I've gained a few levels and have some health to spare?

You can take the pill any time you want, even after finishing the main quest.

>It's Thought Control you need, yeah?

Yep, and 35 of it. Base, so you can't cheat with that. Even a psi has to be at least level 5 to do it.

>Does the Will requirement have to be natural Will, or can I cheat with Junkyard Surprises?

The latter. Unlike Thought Control it doesn't matter where your Will comes from.

But, the different visions have different requirements. Silent Isle is pretty much the lowest.
>>
>>389948494
Virtually every build is viable, you just actually need to commit to it, retard.
>>
>>389942162
>muh reddit fixation
Get help.
>>
Don't bother trying enjoy this game because the end game "deep caverns" will force you to give up if you're not masochistic enough.
>>
>>389948954
I'd argue that most RPGs are fully beatable if you employ stealth, or make use of NPCs.
>>
This game is so frustrating. It starts as complete shit then after a while you start loving it and having a ton of fun until you reach the final area and it becomes even shitter than it was before. What the fuck was that slav thinking.
>>
expansion when

every other game I tried is garbage
>>
>>389949203
You'd be wrong.
>>
Someone post that big huge starter guide.
>>
>>389949203
Most RPGs don't even have functional stealth, don't be silly anon.
>>
>>389949212
He really need to redo the tutorial. It was really unengaging.
>>
I'm about halfway through and there are definitely some major weaknesses:

>poorly explained mechanics
>quests often lack details quest givers should, reasonably, have
>quest details often given once and unable to ask again
>enormous advantage given to large groups v. you

The game gets better the further you get from the beginning though.
>>
>>389949212
I like the final area. It's basically You Reap What You Sow: The Dungeon. The difficulty is so much in flux depending on what you have done and what you can do, it's lovely.
>>
>>389949442
which mechanic is explained poorly?
>>
>>389949339
F- for reading comprehension.
"or make use of NPCs." Whether that be mercs, AI bugs or otherwise.

>>389949442
Just wait for the Deep Caves, boyo.
>>
>>389949442
>enormous advantage given to large groups v. you
use crowd control options the game gives to you
fighting against crowds is by far the best thing about underrail
>>
>>389949586
You're a fucking idiot
>>
>>389949212

The ending area is only annoying if you don't have high stealth and are hostile to those fucks who are stealthed there.
>>
>>389949564
Essentially any mechanic in any level of detail.

I still don't know what energy shields do, and i've sold a million. and have one equipped I could just google "underrail energy shields" but I don't think your wiki should be a substitute for in game explanation.
>>
>>389949586
You're still wrong. The overwhelming majority of RPGs don't allow for a gameplay style wherein stealth *or* NPCs can make up for the PC's pacifism.
>>
>>389949848
shields absorb damage

was there anything else?
>>
>Entering thread to check for news on the expansion
>Remember the final zone of the gamethose goddamn spores and then hiding inside buildings just so the shadows wouldn't come and lube my ass. TFW still haven't decoded the code even if i have all the components
>>
>>389950013
Yes.

http://www.underrail.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=140:energy-shields&catid=43:dev-log&Itemid=61
>>
>>389950013
It absorbs damage like 10% of the time i'm hit, and honestly it doesn't seem consistent at all. Sometimes enemies will go to town on me for multiple turns and i'll take 0 damage with my shield on (and my shield loses no power). Other times its like the shield isn't active at all.
>>
>>389950096
It blocks only mechanical damage and only certain threshold that depends on projectile speed and quality of your shield.
>>
>>389949848
You don't have to check the wiki to understand energy shields. The Shield will tell you how much damage it can protect you from depending on the attack's impact speed, and its other parameters like capacity, conversion, etc. If you want to know what those are, open your combat stats, find "Shielding", and read the tooltips. Actually, everything listed under combat stats give explanation via the tooltips.
>>
>>389950096
there are 3 type of shields, some are good at absorbing "fast attacks" like lasers, and others are good at absorbing "slow attacks" like knives

its a bit similar to dune
>>
>>389936367

Didn't read but I personally wait for the expansion to come out.
>>
>>389950206
also blocks energy damage
only thing that goes 100% through it is direct psi
>>
>>389950206
>It blocks only mechanical damage
That's not true, the only thing that matters is impact speed and whether the weapon has additional shield bypass.
>>
>>389950390
he probably means riot shields
>>
>>389950294
>>389950390
Right, I guess I just rarely met enemies with energy weapons.
>>389950506
No.
>>
>>389949307
reeeee
>>
>>389950623
>energy shields
>block all kinds of damage just different percentage

>riot gear with shield
>only blocks mechanical damage

yeah I am sure I am wrong
>>
>>389950623
It also soaks up fire damage from grenades, the electric attack of Coil Spiders, etc. Shields are amazing, they just aren't equally good against everything. They struggle the most against melee, which is actually mostly mechanical.
>>
>>389936367

I fucking hate caves in games, and the game is nothing but so I dropped it. If it's post-apoc, I want to explore the old world ruins, not some smelly manholes.

That being said, there's a lot of good in the game so once the expansion comes out, I'll just force myself to like it like a gud boi.
>>
>>389950013
>>389950206
>>389950227
>>389950260
>>389950294
>>389950390
>>389950960
Sounds like the game does a very good job at explaining itself.
>>
>>389951127
>tooltips that your attention is specifically drawn to
You're actually right, because at least the game makes it entirely the player's fault.
>>
>>389951127
surely you arent too stupid to tell the difference between a riot shield and an energy shield?

mobile games are always an option though
>>
>>389951096
It's not post-apocalyptic, at least not in the usual way. The apocalypse happened such a long time ago people no longer even remember it, and the underground cave system experienced none of it directly. The reason it looks like a shithole is because it had a civil war like only a decade ago. Kinda how Eastern European countries used to look like.
>>
>>389950925
You're right about mechanics, you're wrong about guessing my thoughts.
>>389950960
I was just BTFO'd by doppelgangers through shield recently and psychers in general, so that's from my mistake take place.
>>
>>389951359

Yeah I know the backstory, and to do the surface well would've likely required more resources/manpower than a lone dev could realistically do, but I'm still hopeful we'll get there with a sequel, one day.

I just love exploring old ruins, there's something about it that never gets old. Especially a setting like Underrail like you said where it happened so long ago that the stuff you could find (that we could assume would still be in somewhat working order because vidya logic) would be akin to magic artifacts.
>>
>>389951405
Yeah, that's because Doppelgangers do mental damage. It messes with your brain, so there is nothing for the shield to catch.

Telekinetic Punch also bypasses the shield, but not because it is psi, but because it is like a fist attack that also bypasses it. But the shield will protect against electric, heat, and ice psi powers.
>>
>>389951127
Game just have depth and I'm not really an attentive person.
>>
>>389951610
I don't think it's a matter of resources, the surface just isn't very important to the setting at the moment. Maybe one day, after we've thoroughly explored everything the underground has to offer and the story is ready to move on to something else.

Or maybe it'll never become relevant, who knows. But I'd like to see it too, it should have some stupidly advanced technology that makes me excited just thinking about it.
>>
>>389949014
>You can take the pill any time you want, even after finishing the main quest.
>Yep, and 35 of it. Base, so you can't cheat with that. Even a psi has to be at least level 5 to do it.
Terrific! Thanks, anon. The skill should be manageable, I have two free choices I usually divide between crafting, so I'll just shave some points off there.

>But, the different visions have different requirements. Silent Isle is pretty much the lowest.
Different requirements for both Will and skill minimums, just Will or just skill? If it's skill I should be able to manage it, but Will might be more difficult. Thanks for letting me know junkyard surprises work, too, it'll mean I can get away with a lower Will at the start of the game.
If they do need progressively higher Will I should be able to put points in later in the game, instead of dumping everything into Perception.
>>
>>389936367
The game devs shill on /v/ because they browse /v/ and figure it's okay.
>>
Been playing this game for a while now, str-con based heavy armor slegdehammer trapper build. The game is fun alright, but I can't find much motivation to keep going since i googled builds and found out that my completely logical sledge build is underpowered as fuck and fists do more damage (?¿?)
Arena was fun, gauntlet was shit, core city sidequests are anarcho-communist garbage. Some big plotholes are in place (cant take the mask off of dead faceless)
Some big lost potential: u cant watch arena matches and bet, u cant gamble in the jurkyard casino, u can't buy a house in core city, u can't coup d etat SGS, game NEVER gives you a companion or even an ally in combat( best u gonna get is the spooky isle and luring enemies to the captain)
Fuck dopplegangers on melee builds
Fuck arena matches where the enemy brings pets.

Ill probably still finish it at some point tho.
>>
>>389953493
also: people who disagree are samefags
>>
>>389954275
No, they're not.
>>
>>389954473
t. samefag
>>
>>389954568
No, I'm not.
>>
>>389954914
Yes, I am.
>>
>>389954223
>core city sidequests are anarcho-communist garbage
What did he mean by this.
>u can't buy a house in core city
You can't buy, but you can get it as a reward for quests for oligarchs.
>game NEVER gives you a companion or even an ally in combat
Junkyard gang showdown, free drones attack on SRO, Gorsky new band attack on his rival band.
>>
>>389955414
The gorsky-core questline seems very commie to me, very anti establishment,(cant recall any specifics it was 3 days ago since I booted) also why the fuck would i have to put down 2k charons to repair a driller, if A, gorsky wants it repaired and not me, ans B at rail crossing I secured a fully functional one. I only have 7k you fuckface gorsky.

I guess you're right about the house, i actually only need a locker to store shit.

Somehow I didn't do all those missions but nearly did everything else, still feels a bit too much like a lack due to mechanical difficulties and not natural script outcome to do everything alone.
>>
>>389955981
as if core city has any meaningful establishment
>>
>>389956083
W-woah Is this the power of the underrail defense force?
>>
>>389955981
Gorsky is a street rat, he was living the good life being a murderous psycho with his gang before order was established in the city. He couldn't give a rat's ass about politics, just wants dem good times back.

You can actually repair that tunneler without having to pay if you are good at mechanics.
>>
>>389956283
I have leveled mechanics since level 1 but apparently 13 levels of pure mechanic leveling isnt enough?
>>
>>389955981
>i actually only need a locker to store shit
You can store your stuff in any barrel. I store mine close to traders for easier selling, Al Fabet won't take your loot despite being so close to become rich.
>>
>>389956532
You need 85 effective mechanics skill.
>>
>>389956674
Any food to boost it?
>>
>>389937683
>Max Agility and Dexterity, High Perception.
This alone sounds like you're spreading yourself too thin
>>
>>389956829
Junkyard Surprise can get you 2 more Intelligence, that will boost it somewhat.
>>
>>389955981
>i actually only need a locker to store shit

Every container is a safe container, even piles of stuff you drop on the ground. It will not despawn.
>>
How the fuck do you play this game without crafting?
>>
>>389957528
you find a unique weapon and stick with it
>>
>>389957686
Uniques are pretty underwhelming if you ask me.
I kinda regred that I started to max dodge halfway instead of tailoring, my 23%/10 vest with 15% penalty is probably not even close to crafted armor.
>>
>>389957951
There's like 5 crafting skills, if you don't put points into them you should have more than enough points to compensate it with something else, especially for defensive purposes.
>>
>>389958089
I already had almost maxed mechanic and electronics and even 60 in chemistry.
>>
>>389953252
Bleh, you made me level some characters to find out. Damn you, anon.

>Different requirements for both Will and skill minimums, just Will or just skill?

The first, but usually you only need one or the other. There was one I couldn't unlock with my 5 WILL character, so it needs at least 9 WILL, but my bet is on 10.

There is also one that needs the other psi skills too. Thought Control for one, Psychokinesis for another, and Metathermics plus either Thought Control or Psychokinesis for the third. Only having Methatemics will actually completely shut down the whole thing until you increase the others.

All in all, this is not something you can do without serious commitment to psi.
>>
>>389936367
Having to "specialize" into more than 1/3 of the skills (8 out of 22) is just stupid.
And the perk balance is far too restrictive and it ends up not being necessarily "balanced" between different builds so what's the point.
Still better than no skills or ff tactics.
>>
File: Build.jpg (2MB, 1938x2538px) Image search: [Google]
Build.jpg
2MB, 1938x2538px
This build is pretty dominating.
Also fullblown psi wrecks some serious shit, you can deny the enemies their turn and pulverize them in the process..
>>
File: thumbsup harpy.png (167KB, 1080x899px) Image search: [Google]
thumbsup harpy.png
167KB, 1080x899px
>>389960846
Thanks, anon! I really appreciate it, especially because you went to the trouble of going through and testing it yourself. It's good to know they use different psi skills and have increasing Will requirements, I know how to plan my Psi character now.

>All in all, this is not something you can do without serious commitment to psi
Damn, that's a shame. I was hoping to see them on my first playthrough without having to alter my build entirely, but it's good to know I don't have to. More incentive to replay as psi, too!
Thanks again for all your help, anon.
>>
>coming for Nevil without any EMP greandes or mines
That was tough, I had 26 hp without shield energy at some point.
>>
Where do I find the third eye-patch oddity? I cleared all underpassages and lurkers base including prison.
>>
>>389936367
>I saw several anons call it "the real Fallout 3"
Those anons were retarded. Don't get me wrong, UnderRail is an decent game but it's nowhere near the level of Black Isle's games.
>>
>>389963441
Which ones do you have?
>>
Is a crossbow/traps build any good? I was doing fine with a tac vest focused AR/sniper build until i read that tav vest aren't that good in the late game.
>>
>>389964142
They are, but you reach a point in the game where enemies can resist mechanical damage pretty easily. So you need to make sure you focus on special bolts, special traps and you may want some throwing too.
>>
>>389963819
I don't remember where did I get them, but in underpassages between sgs and core city. Maybe there's a hidden room or something?
>>
>>389964292
>some throwing too
From my experience a bit of throwing good for every non psi builds (though haven't used psi that much), grenades helped me a lot with crowd control, especialy in the early areas.
>>
>>389963654
>Those anons were retarded
>is an decent
projecting so much ain't you?
>>
>>389963654
Hahaha, no.
>>
>>389963654
better combat though
>>
>>389936851
>Well, I've largely enjoyed most oldschool RPGs: Fallout 1&2&NV, Baldur's Gate, Mask of the Betrayer, KOTORs, Planescape Torment... Hell, I even loved Torment: Tides of Numenera! I'm usually very open to RPGs, even if they're mediocre, but Underrail... Man oh man...

Well crafted bait, flat out lying or neo-/v/.
>>
You can win the game with traps alone wtf are you talking about
>>
>>389966476
Quick tinkering really needs rework, it's really overpowered.
>>
>>389965720
>Ad hominem

Just buzz off.

>>389965868
Look Dejan, it's okay to admit you didn't make a game as good as a bigger studio did back in the late 90s.
>>
>>389943195
Shooting someone in the face tends to do more damage than anywhere else obviously. If you can connect the hit keep shooting there. Otherwise if you're getting mobbed by for instance death claws try and cripple their legs first. With slower moving or firearm wielding enemies shooting them in the eyes and arms helps reduce the chance you'll get hit if you can't kill them in a single turn. Ultimately a large group becomes more about threat management than outright killing so if your guns aren't powerful enough it may be more useful to just cripple several and then whittle them down or try and pick them off at long range.
>>
>>389936367

its a pretty mediocre game with a very steep learning curve which means very little value for effort put in. The fan base are cringey as hell and cannot take a single criticism against this game just look at the steam reviews and this thread
>>
File: Works fine.jpg (199KB, 864x1052px) Image search: [Google]
Works fine.jpg
199KB, 864x1052px
>>389936367
>>Hugely minmaxed character misses every second shot with 80% chance to hit
Pic related.

>Every shot deals 1/8 enemy HP of damage, but the enemies can kill you in 6 attacks (that they have more of). Essentially, arming you with a peashooter. It feels like smacking the enemies with a flacid penis would deal more damage
Entirely depends on the build.

False. The story does take some time to get going though.

The character is a blank slate, don't know what are you expecting.

False.

Half the endings depend on your dialogue choices.

If you are wearing heavy armor, yeah.

They last a few seconds tops, what else do you want when waiting for the map to load?

>Grid based exploration
What's wrong with that?

>Horrible camera and UI
I don't see anything horrible about isometric view, the UI is perfectly functional as well.

Bear traps in doorways and mine fields are strong as fuck and can trivialize most fights. Quick Tinkering is the single most broken feat in the entire game.
>>
>>389966646
If the cooldown was like 10 turns it would be fine. Right now it's so short you can keep enemies stuck in bear traps indefinitely.
>>
File: I did it.jpg (59KB, 368x128px) Image search: [Google]
I did it.jpg
59KB, 368x128px
>>389948164
>need to minmax you character to get anywhere
Not true. Even slightly min-maxed builds make the game easy.
>>
>>389957951
>Uniques are pretty underwhelming if you ask me.
Depends. Unarmed uniques are great, some better than anything you can craft. Some uniques are on par with things you can craft, some are worse, some are worthless.
>>
>>389941054
I didn't even join the drones, but fuck the Protectorate.

>finish the game
>checking out how shit changed since I was in the Deep Caverns
>go to the institute to see if I can loot the leftovers
>protectorate assholes threaten me from approaching it
>I was the one that put scientology in it's place
>I was the one that kill their shoggoth god
>it was me who peacefully convinced the free drones to give back the stolen train
>they still point their guns at me and act smug
so I pulled my mk3 grenades on them.
>>
>>389954223
>i googled builds and found out that my completely logical sledge build is underpowered as fuck
Sledges are not that bad. They are not the strongest, but not even close to weakest either.
>>
what's the current version of the game? I have a torrent for 2.8 and am not sure if that's good enough or not

also, does /v/ recommend mods if there's mods for this game?
>>
>>389971220
>what's the current version of the game?

>lso, does /v/ recommend mods if there's mods for this game?
No mods. I know one guy is in the middle of doing a graphics overhaul though.
>>
>>389971362
> I know one guy is in the middle of doing a graphics overhaul though.

Does he have a blog/site?
Sounds interesting.
>>
do you guys know ehre I can find some fun builds? I'm making a second playthrough as soon as I have the time
>>
>>389970520
10 is too much, but 2 is a joke indeed.
>>389970850
You can be right because I don't use melee, guns are not really good.
>>
>>389971220
1.0.2.4., and I strongly recommend you get that version. It made some very nice changes and additions. Nothing absolutely necessary like the 1.6. version that added highlights, but good changes anyway.

The game is near impossible to mod though, so don't expect much on that front. Sometimes a game rolling with its own engine has its downsides.
>>
File: GxbDA4y.png (646KB, 1099x455px) Image search: [Google]
GxbDA4y.png
646KB, 1099x455px
>>389971484
Nah, it's just a guy who posted a few screenshots on the forums. From the way he talked about it I'm not sure it he is going to see it through, and you might not like his style anyway. Personally I hate it. Looks too smooth, shiny, Chinese and mobile.
>>
File: KwsGkIf.png (2MB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
KwsGkIf.png
2MB, 1920x1080px
>>389971484
>Does he have a blog/site?
None that I'm aware of.

You can read more about it here:

http://underrail.com/forums/index.php?topic=2744.msg15202#msg15202

>Sounds interesting.
Imo it looks off and inconsistent, but I can't deny he put a lot of work into it.

I'm personally working on a re-sprite of the leather overcoat with green goggles instead of red ones. Don't think I'm going ot finish anytime soon.

>>389971685
>10 is too much, but 2 is a joke indeed.
10 would effectively make it so you can place one trap in the middle of combat. It would still be pretty useful without being OP. I could settle for 5.

>You can be right because I don't use melee, guns are not really good.
Yeah most are inferior to what you can craft, but some are either equal or not that much worse.

>>389971537
>do you guys know ehre I can find some fun builds?
Official forum would be the best place.

http://underrail.com/forums/index.php
>>
>>389936367
I realized I would not enjoy this game when I got insta killed by the second hostile mob I faced on the first quest.
>>
>>389973334
You got instakilled by a rathound?

Did you play a 3 CON psi build on hard or something?
>>
>>389973554
He said mob so he probably let himself get surrounded like a goober.
>>
>>389973807
He probably run into those 3 bandits on Jack's quest. I barely beat them and then realized that I supposed to do generators quest in caves first.
>>
>>389974506
That's like complaning you went west instead of east in Fallout and got instakilled by super mutants.
>>
>>389973334
Have you at least put on your armor? The rathounds deal very low damage, and every starting armor I received in this game had at least 3 mechanical threshold. That's like a third of the damage they can deal.

Even a 3 CON psi on hard has 37 HP, you have to be very unlucky to die in one turn if you have that armor on.
>>
>>389936367
Sound like the first two Fallouts
>>
>>389936367
I will take a big ol' bite outta this one lads step back
>Hugely minmaxed character misses every second shot with 80% chance to hit
this is a psychological phenomena, not sure about the name though i think it's called selective exposure dissonance or some gay shit like that. In short it means you remember the misses and forget the times it succeeds
This is a fail on your side, the game isn't easy so you gotta play on your strengths and focus on what you want to do and use those skills. You can't just expect to deal decent damage and not miss with a dagger while you have no melee aptitute
Literally talk to anyone in game or read stuff. Game isn't going to smack you in the face with it to give you that forced exposition
The story you go through is partially your developement but the real developement is how you create your character, how you level up and how you shape it. The character developement is practically in your hands
If you don't read the dialogue you won't understand shit also reading is essential on what to do to finish the missions.
Get past the first damn level you nigger
If you mean animation-wise not really if you mean AP-wise then you should've made a high speed low drag edgy character
Fix your damn HDD, I have a 6 year old laptop and I never got this. Don't forget to defragment too.

cont...
>>
>>389975804
continued:
>Grid based exploration
>imblying this is a bad thing
>Horrible camera and UI
literally isometric camera with features that let's you see through walls, nothing is wrong with it
It's not the best but it has the genre's charm
Oh my fucking god I'll allow everything else but don't shit on traps, just don't. OP as fuck, lay out infinite number of these and let the enemy be buttfucked while you laugh in the darkness.
>>
Do you guys have 120mb per save as well?
>>
>>389976145
My biggest is 32mb

Probably it depends on how much shit you drop in areas and overall how many areas you visited.
>>
>>389976145
just checked, my latest save is 193mb. Completed the game and still fucked around for a few hours.
>>
>>389976145
It's a strange thing, I have played the game on several machines and on one I'd have 150+ MB end game saves, but on the other it never gets higher than 45.
Thread posts: 207
Thread images: 16

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.