[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What is the point of a non-crouch jump?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 2

File: 7vEqNSc.jpg (35KB, 800x717px) Image search: [Google]
7vEqNSc.jpg
35KB, 800x717px
What is the point of a non-crouch jump?
>>
>>389933471
Air control, perhaps.
>>
different knockback properties for explosives
>>
>>389933608
>jump
>take a bajillion damage, gain little height
>crouchjump
>take little damage, go a bajllion miles
>>
to get into the air so you can then crouch
>>
>>389933471
Crouch jump was probably a bug they found when trying to get the player to jump into a vent on the wall and kept it in and made it integral to your progress because they thought it was cool
>>
If you just give him the height of the crouch jump right away then every jump is long and floaty when it doesn't always need to be.
>>
>>389933780
The problem is, it's unintuitive if you've never seen crouchjumping before.
At least, for a first-person game.

It's difficult if not impossible to see that your character adopts a crouched state in midair, and crouchjumping isn't something you'd do in real life.
>>
>>389933471
a way to circumvent engine shitty collision detection
>>
>>389933853
>crouchjumping isn't something you'd do in real life
I work in a factory and I do it all the time
>>
>>389933780
>Crouch jump was probably a bug

This. "It's not a bug, it's a feature" is how devs jokingly refer to this sort of stuff.
>>
>>389933853
>that kid who didn't crouchjump on his way to school
I'll bet he never found any of the secret shortcuts.
>>
>>389933830
Say the player somehow crouched without lowering their body, and the distance between them and the ground is X.

When the player jumps, they could automatically be crouched until they are within X of the ground.

There's be almost zero need for manual crouchjumping, and absolutely no problem from automatic crouchjumping.

The only time you'd need manual crouchjumping is if you were jumping over something that can harm you; because as you jumped over that thing, with automatic crouchjumping you would cease to crouch as soon as touching the ground was possible, which would cause you to touch the deadly thing if it counted as ground.
>>
>>389933853
And that's why you play the damn tutorial, you mongoloid.
https://youtu.be/zs1IKZv8YyY?t=50s
>>
>>389934103
This is why they added auto crouch jump and enabled it by default
>>
>>389934103
To be fair, crouch jumping is the only mechanic that isn't obvious to people at first, so they skip the tutorial thinking it would play like any other fps
>>
>>389934739
>Not playing the tutorial on every new game the very first time
Do mouth breathers seriously just skip things they need?
>>
>>389934094
That would dump more work on the devs and give less control to the player, making platforming less fun.

I love leaping over heady gaps and tucking my balls in at the right moment.
>>
>>389934967
If it's your first time playing the game, and all you know about it is that it's an fps, you'd probably assume it'd play like other fps games at the time and wouldn't bother with the tutorial, HL1 really should have integrated the tutorial into the game rather than making it optional
>>
File: Untitled.png (1KB, 209x174px)
Untitled.png
1KB, 209x174px
>>389933780
>>389933964
Easiest way to implent crouching in a 3d character control game is just to shrink the player's collision size in the Z axis. So when you crouch you do not "move down" you just become half the size you were before.
>>
>>389933780
That's almost as dumb as using your own rocket launcher as a jump propellant.
>>
>>389933471
The difference between regular jumping and crouch jumping is if you want to jump onto something or over something. Sometimes you need the extra inches from crouch jumping to jump onto a thing, but from a design perspective that's basically it. You make railings just high enough to jump onto but low enough to reliable crouch-jump over.

>>389933780
How the fuck is it a bug? The player gets smaller when crouching so the bottom get pulled up. Have you ever jumped?
>>
>crouch jumping doesn't make any sense reeee

it's literally just pulling up your legs so you clear larger objects

you can see faith doing it in mirror's edge in first person when you crouch jump, she's just making sure her legs don't hit the fence or whathaveyou
>>
>>389936729
>I didn't actually read the OP but I've seen similar threads so I'm going to take the question for granted reeeeeeee
>I hope I get into a huge semantics argument where I try to make it look like what I complained about is valid reeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
>>
>>389937072
but there's actually a post in this thread saying crouchjumping isn't something you do in real life
>>
>>389933547
This is correct. Bunnyhopping.
Thread posts: 26
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.