[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What's so bad about linear games?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 2

File: fps.png (37KB, 640x516px) Image search: [Google]
fps.png
37KB, 640x516px
What's so bad about linear games?
>>
it literally makes you dumber
>>
File: aburner[1].png (14KB, 320x224px) Image search: [Google]
aburner[1].png
14KB, 320x224px
Nothing. They're just not the only thing that should exist though.
>>
Nothing if done right and the gameplay is designed for it.
>>
>>389933275
it's a bit dull. i like exploring
>>
>>389933275

They aren't inherently bad.
>>
They're predictable and transparent
>>
90's fps still had linear aspects to it, but with the option for alternate paths, or the risk/reward of hunting for secrets. The more linear design works when hp or hp regeneration are plentiful and a non-issue, but that also makes the game's combat less engaging when there is less consequence of your actions.
>>
>>389933275
nothing its all just a meme. like in ops pic the left image is what you get but the right image would be overlayed over the left image because thats what you actually have to do, going anywhere else is pure autism.
>>
>What's so bad about linear games?
depends on the context
>>
Let me say this:
NOSTALGIAFAGS are the cancer of this board

Old shooters:
>No story, shitty story
>Repetetive, uninspired levels
>Hunt for red key, use red key on red door, WOW SUCH EXPLORATION
>Very little enemy and level variation
>Gets boring as fuck, running around in circles trying to find where to go

Modern shooters:
>Actually have stories
>Things actually happen
>Excellent variation as they guide you through different scenarios
>Satisfying and fun to play
>>
>>389933275
Turning your brain off to move at the moving pixels gets boring after a while
>>
They play all the same.
>>
>>389933275
Nothing dummy. Open world is also only bad if there lacks a fun means of travel, any kind of vehicle or the like. If you need to implement teleporting 'fast travel', its beyond salvation.
>>
>>389933534
>old shooters
you mean, before that was a category? gee i wonder why they had room for improvement
>>
>>389933534
All Shooters are shit. Argument settled.
>>
>>389933275
Doesn't engage your spatial awareness, sucks to replay, typically just lazy.
In a linear game you typically never have to remember that a thing was in a certain place, you don't have to manage a mental map of your surroundings or think about central navigational structures or even how your actions in one place might affect other places.
When replaying a linear game sometimes just knowing what comes next or having done a certain thing before will cheapen the experience going into it again and maybe lazy linear design just falls apart on closer inspection when you realize that you were given much less freedom than you thought because what you were going through was just a heavily scripted shit tier setpiece.
There's nothing wrong with making a gauntlet that is challenging because you know the player will be going through it one specific way but that's not really what it tends to be used for.
>>
>>389933815
More people need to start ralizing this.

There's a whole genre based on a meme that some game started 25 years ago, it truly is starting to get shallow at this point.
>>
>>389933365
This. I prefer a polished and well-paced linear experience to another empty open world.

Metroidvania progression systems are the pinnacle, though.
>>
>>389933534
I like the movement of older FPS games, especially Quake, being able to turn on a dime, smooth, fast.

The level design was always absolute shit though. Kill all the enemies, press the use button everywhere because you can't tell what's a door and what's not, backtrack in circles forever looking for the key to progress, just awful.
>>
>>389936362
>press the use button everywhere because you can't tell what's a door and what's not, backtrack in circles forever looking for the key to progress, just awful.

None of those apply to Quake
>>
>>389933275
Nothing. I prefer linear games nowadays. Also if the game takes longer than 4 hours to beat I get annoyed.

Non-linear games got ruined by collectibles and achievements. You no longer explore for exploration's sake, you explore for collectibles and you'll end up consulting a walkthrough to find out where they all are anyways ruining the point of non-linear levels.
Thread posts: 22
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.