/script>
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

itt; games that were simply too ahead of their time maybe if

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 10

File: PSO.png (116KB, 300x296px) Image search: [Google]
PSO.png
116KB, 300x296px
itt; games that were simply too ahead of their time

maybe if they were released a few years later, they would've been big, but the masses werent ready for them at the time

please post them here so we give respects
>>
>>389919017
this was fun
surprisingly i know a few people who still play it every now and then
>>
>>389919017
The entire Dreamcast lineup. When the PS2 games came out I was not nearly as enthused as I thought I would be since I had already been playing a Dreamcast for a year. I thought the PS2 would still be a big leap over that, but it was not at all.
>>
>>389919603
Why? Isn't it an mmorpg? Why would you play an mmorpg offline?
>>
I want to go back to a time when we experienced the future of gaming. Nothing new is going on, VR is just a gimmicky control scheme.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rw6hosekixk
>>
I still play Phantasy Star often <3
>>
>>389920632
where and how
>>
>>389920951
ephinea.pioneer2.net
>>
>>389921020
>ephinea.pioneer2.net
thanks, ill give it a go
>>
File: 1504099710868.jpg (17KB, 351x344px) Image search: [Google]
1504099710868.jpg
17KB, 351x344px
>>389920632
everytime someone posts a fucking "<3" or ":3" I can't help but think the poster is a femenine faggot and I get a boner
fucking end me
>>
>>389919017
It wasn't a head of it's time, in fact it was at the perfect time on consoles even till GC where there was no competition in the same areas as it.

The Phantasy Star brand just went down the shitter thanks to Sega's typical retardation
>>
File: SEGA.jpg (92KB, 448x509px) Image search: [Google]
SEGA.jpg
92KB, 448x509px
>>389921612
>>
File: Outbreak3_2.jpg (137KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
Outbreak3_2.jpg
137KB, 1024x768px
>$50 for the game
>$80 for the hard drive
>keyboard required
>had to navigate Capcom fucked up registration page from the shitty ps2 browser so everything was guaranteed to be 50 miles away from each other

Once you got it though...

Bliss.
>>
Street Fighter 2010
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gU21wBNSVWU
>>
File: 15414_front.jpg (73KB, 640x908px) Image search: [Google]
15414_front.jpg
73KB, 640x908px
It took 12 years before anyone else took upon its style to commercial success.
>>
>>389921670
I don't think PSO's problem was marketing in this case for Sega, or at least that alone.

They treated (and always have) non Japanese players in this series like secondary garbage, they decide to make a card game EP- what everyone asked for. They made the final episode a PC only release even though they would have a massive advantage in the console space with the lack of competition.
Over the years I noticed too many people only refer to PSO as by EP1&2, I wonder why.

Then you get to PSU, which even if you liked the direction of was plagued by even more retarded decisions going back on the first point, the utter garbage fire that was the non Japanese side of it.

Finally we arrive at PSO2 land which Sega seems to have proudly accepted they want the Otaku audience with the game being secondary to the more important aspects, the dress up and anime collabs. Now more popular than ever in Japan they finally decided to say fuck it to even bothering to release it outside.
>>
>>389919017
ahead of it's time maybe, but a good game? fuck no, not even compared to other games in the series. universe is the better 'mmo', ive not played the sequel to universe so cannot comment on that. phantasy star online suffers from repetition, the areas are mostly copy pasted flat areas over and over again, even several bosses are repeated. most enemies are simply reskins, hitboxes are shit, i think the combat in online is superiour but i dont fucking play phantasy star for the combat. i think the starting area (not the bland fucking square where you are first put on the server, i mean after youve first made a room and are in the neotokyo type place) is the only visually appealing area of the fucking game i dont know how they managed to make such a fucking ugly game even on an early 3d system. and to top the shitcake, everything else was a novelty. having a pet made you powerful, but only if you fed it literally every 10 minutes and people teleported mid fucking game constantly to feed the faggots, the entire pacing is slowed to a crawl and character progression being so dependent on these little faggot pets is a major factor in just how repetitive and slow this game is even compared to the sequel where you move objectively slower and enemies objectively take longer to fucking kill. there are better games like this now anyways like monster hunter freedom unite, phantasy star online is completely unremarkable compared to anything made after it
>>
>>389921820

Came here to post this.

Imagine this now with the online capabilities available. It would have been glorious and I honestly think a HUGE hit.

I still hold out desperate hope that they'll remaster it.
>>
>>389923597

lmao

i loved PSO and i miss the times i spent playing it, but all of this is so so true
>>
File: seabed_by_kireekpso-d3kd6da[1].jpg (199KB, 1032x774px) Image search: [Google]
seabed_by_kireekpso-d3kd6da[1].jpg
199KB, 1032x774px
>>389923597
I like PSU more as well but are you trying to say PSU wasn't also copy and paste happy? They did the same shit PSO did only having more to work with so it's less noticeable.

I also felt a lot of areas in EP2 looked pretty nice.
>>
PSO was fucking awesome but fuck sega for treating people outside of japan like shit. Stuff like that allowed shittier games to flourish
>>
>>389920454
there are private servers still running. I don't know if the one I joined a few years back is still up but they somehow managed cross platform with PC and Dreamcast versions but there was extra content that was PC only.

The people maintaining it even held special events and made new items and weapons for it.
>>
>>389923597

Pretty sure PSO was good until at least 2010
>>
File: spaceship.jpg (246KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
spaceship.jpg
246KB, 1024x768px
>>389925040
i remember spaceship looking pretty good and temple with the far stretches of water
>>
File: rqwrqwrqrq2222.png (631KB, 920x516px) Image search: [Google]
rqwrqwrqrq2222.png
631KB, 920x516px
https://psoremake.wordpress.com/2016/07/24/pso-remake-forest-monster-edition/

unfortunately I see this being completed never ever
>>
File: 1376143986667.png (698KB, 1100x1012px) Image search: [Google]
1376143986667.png
698KB, 1100x1012px
>>389919017
I tried to play this to fill the void after PSU was shut down on 360 and JP PC. Games just to clunky and has low content. If PSUC isn't finished i may legit kill myself 2bh
>>
>>389923597
Scattering everyone to the four winds in field lobbies, with a shitty chat system even for sega that made it hard to communicate, is something that pretty much invalidates your entire opinion just by itself.
>>
>>389927889
It would of been a pretty cool idea... if the game had 1000x the player base. (and universe capacity)

Beyond the dumb warp NPCs I remember way too fucking late they tried to fix this in the Japanese server, iirc the guardians branch letting you join anyone's party on the planet.
>>
>>389921497
:3
Thread posts: 29
Thread images: 10

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.