[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why do people hate this game so much?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 147
Thread images: 16

File: Wind Waker.jpg (702KB, 1072x1500px) Image search: [Google]
Wind Waker.jpg
702KB, 1072x1500px
Why do people hate this game so much?
>>
File: 1504848461464.jpg (69KB, 500x598px) Image search: [Google]
1504848461464.jpg
69KB, 500x598px
they didnt grow up with it like oot or mm
>>
File: bO0Nj92.jpg (209KB, 895x902px) Image search: [Google]
bO0Nj92.jpg
209KB, 895x902px
Who the fuck hates this game? It's great and everyone I know that's played it loves it. I grew up play ALTTP and OOT/MM, but I still loved Windwaker almost as much as all of those
>>
>>389908491
the blandest possible idea for a game world
>>
>>389908491
>boring sailing in the original (completely fixed in the HD remake)
>cut content
>not enough regular sized dungeons
>Tingle and the Triforce Quest near the end
It was a great entry back in GC days and it aged pretty well, still a much better game than BotW
>>
>>389908491
Could have been one of the GOATs if Nintendo weren't dumbasses and rushed its development.
>>
>>389908491
This is my all time favorite Zelda. the story was great, the art style was unique, the music and atmosphere was better than oot or mm could ever dream to be. But you know American kids in 2003 were faggots that wanted grimdark zelda. So everyone shat on it without playing it.
tetra was a better Zelda than you deserved
>>
>>389908962
they could've waited one more year, it could have surpassed OoT easily
>>
>>
>>389908491
I thought it was boring and tedious as a kid, and when I replayed it, it was worse than I remembered. It has the worst dungeons of any Zelda game and I would argue the worst side content.
>>
>>389909241
holy shit i'm glad the days of aonuma treating the fanbase like retards are over
>>
>>389909241
Yeah, fuck this. It was optional, though.
>>
Wind Waker is probably in the top 3 Zelda games.
It's true that the main world is pretty uninteresting from a game design perspective... an island for every quadrant with pretty much nothing in between.
But there's just something special about setting sail, hearing the triumphant music, and going to unexplored, mysterious areas.
It really immerses you in its exploration, even though the exploration itself lacks a few elements.
>>
Because it wasn't grimdark Zelda

I can guarantee you the kids on /v/ who played it back in 2003 had no idea there was cut content and just use it a retroactive excuse to hate on the game
>>
>>389908491
I love Wind Waker except the sailing, it's boring. I remember when the first trailer came out and I thought it was the best thing ever. The game turned out pretty good but yeah... the sailing is boring.
>>
>>389908491
It's a game that focuses on exploration yet is awful at it.
>>
>>389908696
My sister grew up with OoT and when i was playing WW she was complaining about how the graphics gave her a headache.
>>
>>389908491
It's charming as fuck and my favorite to play high but it is fairly shallow with with an empty as fuck world.
>>
>>389909649
I was 13 when this game came out, and the internet was pretty young, so I didn't really understand the concept of cut content and deadlines and shit in video games, but I absolutely remember wondering why the third pearl is just given to you. I was actually looking forward to a water dungeon, but nope.
>>
>>389908491
Because we were teased with a realistic Zelda that continued in the style of OoT but instead got this gay shit out of left field.
>>
>>389908491
I don't hate it. It's just less of what I like about Zelda. Sailing isn't fun. I didn't feel the trade between MM's overworld (which refined the hub concept in OoT) and WW's sea was a good one. And its dungeons are both bland and far too few. That's about it.
>>
>>389908491
>Why do people hate this game so much?

mostly by having shit taste.
that said, the game could have avoided a lot of controversy if there was an actual last third of the game that wasn't a fetch quest.
>>
>>389909829
D
U
D
E
>>
>>389909947
Nintendo will never make a realistic looking Zelda, get over it
>>
>>389908491
Ocarina of Time was like their first love and they wanted a sequel that matched it tone and style completely, and Majora's Mask being a sequel didn't help.

I remember everyone whining about it being CELDA and kiddie shit.
>>
>>389909649
>the kids on /v/ who played it back in 2003 had no idea there was cut content and just use it a retroactive excuse to hate on the game
FUCKING THIS
>>
>>389909649
Even as a kid, I distinctly remember thinking the Triforce hunt was a huge waste of fucking time.

I straight up hate this game, and I just replayed it so I remember it clear as day. Everything about it pisses me off, especially the little things nobody tallks about. Like how it reuses grotto geometry repeatedly, or how the "trading" sidequest involves going to the same four corners of the map over and over again, or how the gold skulltula equivalent is Blue Chuchu jelly which is the second worst and most pointless sidequest next to figurines.

This game is so lazy and terrible.
>>
>>389909947
You literally got your grimdark Zelda though.
>>
Because it's basically OoT 2.0 with the connected landmass split up and stretched across a needlessly large ocean, but more damning still is that that's the LEAST of the game's problems as it turns out that sailing and charting the seas is the best part of the game and the typical Zelda shenanigans are almost universally underdeveloped and disappointing. Windfall Island's pretty good and the Wind Temple is an actually decent dungeon but aside from that WW is a below par Zelda almost across the board with one-and-done island visits, piss poor main quest pacing, and the worst dungeons in the series to date. But hey, at least it looks pretty.
>>
can we just admit all the OOT style Zelda's are dated, too easy and kind of boring?

BotW is so much more fun to play, I tried to replay TP but dropped in that horrible intro section
>>
>>389910692
MM, WW, TP and SS are all just OoT remakes with different gimmicks
>>
>>389910746

>dated

A little but they're sound game design which doesn't age.

>too easy

Absolutely, though I think Hero Mode was on to something. Removing heart drops and doubling enemy damage helped out a lot but what would help more is more developed AI routines - tougher defenses to break and more aggressive attacks to watch out for. As it is, enemies are just too passive in 3D Zelda.

>and kind of boring?

They're less boring than BotW IMO. I still haven't finished it because after about 30 hours I was just done with it. The focused progression of previous 3D Zeldas is missing here and it's hard for me to get excited for exploring the world for exploration's sake when most of the time you just find samey mini-dungeons that are a notch above grottos, korok seed minigames and enemy strongholds that get you more disposable weapons and precious stones. There's more to it than that obviously but it wasn't enough to keep me enthralled. Great Plateau was awesome but my interest steadily waned afterwards.
>>
the best parts of botw are straight out of we. even the shrines share the aesthetic of the tower of the gods
>>
>>389910426
Fucking this. I can't believe people are still talking about an 11 second tech demo nearly two decades later. Nintendo released exactly what was shown in that trailer, realistic Link and Ganondorf sword fighting, and people bitched that it was too easy.
>>
>>389910827

Yeah, but MM and TP were competent OoT remakes while SS at least tried something a little different with the field/dungeon flow for better or worse. WW just feels like they stopped trying halfway through or they ran out of time, I look back on my time spent with it and I was almost always mildly annoyed by something unless I was sailing, and we all know how engaging sailing was.
>>
>>389911443

BotW is basically WW with the open world traversal being a bit more engaging (climb and glide instead of sail) and some of its better ideas like item-based combat, grottos and enemy weapon stealing revisited and refined.
>>
>>389908491
shitty dungeons, forgettable bosses, boring sailing. theres really not much going on in the water.

tingle tuner was cool though
>>
>>389908491
I played and loved ooc, mm, ages/seasons before I played this.

Ww was my favorite Zelda.
>>
File: 139596003.webm (3MB, 640x360px) Image search: [Google]
139596003.webm
3MB, 640x360px
>>
Phoned it in with the Triforce Quest.
>>
File: 112848.webm (74KB, 562x230px) Image search: [Google]
112848.webm
74KB, 562x230px
>>
>>389908491
map deciphering, triforce hunting, also you have to hunt for tons of rupees since to decipher a triforce piece location costs lots of rupees.

Everything about it is forced exploration, it's a hassle, even as a kid.
>>
File: dumb bitch.webm (3MB, 640x360px) Image search: [Google]
dumb bitch.webm
3MB, 640x360px
>>
>>389908826
>completely fixed in the HD remake

how did they make sailing better in the HD version?
>>
>>389912154
they didn't touch it really, they just added a faster sail that makes it so you dont have to change the wind every 5 seconds

really that only solves one problem about sailing.. god i used to love this game but when i replayed it, it was such a fucking chore
>>
>>389912154

Oh man, they actually did fix it up pretty nicely. The Swift Sail not only doubles sailing speed but the wind automatically changes direction with you. On top of that, the gamepad acts as the map so no more pausing the game to get your bearings on the sea or, much more importantly, getting your position on sea treasures. All in all, I'd wager that the act of sailing from top to bottom is about 4x faster in WWHD.
>>
>>389909649
Wrong. It's the only time in a Zelda game that on my first playthrough, I was alarmed at how short it was and lacking in dungeons. Two sage temples? Hyrule Castle contains virtually nothing other than Ganon? I did the triforce hunts with the anticipation that there'd be a payoff, an actual dungeon to follow suit. But there wasn't, continuing the line of disappointments that started with the game being butt ugly after Link and Ganon looked great in the SpaceWorld Demo.

The game is just like Sunshine and blue coins. It's blatantly obvious to anyone who played the previous game that it's padding.
>>
>>389912045
>>389911959
Windwaker looks just too beautiful.
Much prettier than all others entries.
I especially love the character designs.
>>
>>389908491
had a good concept but did nothing with it
>>
File: faster sail.webm (2MB, 640x360px) Image search: [Google]
faster sail.webm
2MB, 640x360px
>>389912154
Copied WW vanilla action replay codes.
>>
>>389912551

I wouldn't say nothing - the sea is a bit livelier than it's often given credit for as it's not a bad overworld. Not particularly better than OoT's but it's not the worst. If anything, I'd say all the actual effort went into sea exploration and the rest was just phoned in.
>>
File: splash.webm (446KB, 960x540px) Image search: [Google]
splash.webm
446KB, 960x540px
>>389912475
It's weird to think that WW Link was the last good Link too.
>>
>>389912752

TP Link is a better Link but WW Link has a better story behind him.
>>
>>389909401
Exploration is my primary problem with the game. I love exploration. I love wandering aimlessly, being lost, and taking the game at my own pace, trying to do everything besides follow the critical path. I adore Breath of the Wild for embracing this playstyle, and I hate Wind Waker because it punishes it relentlessly.

For one the game takes forever to open up. You're restricted to a 1-tilie wide L on the most direct path to the first two dungeons because otherwise KoRL nags at you and forces you to go back. For two, even though the objectives of the game are really spread out, aggressive item gating means that you basically don't get to interact with anything throughout the entire game. If you do, you're incurring a massive travel time penalty because of how spread out everything is, how slow the boat is, and how wind controls dissuade you from moving in anything other than straight lines. Then you get to the actual content itself which is shallow and often copy-pasted. Every grotto enemy gauntlet repeats three times, submarines are basically all identical, there are endless watch towers. The game has a terrible reward system which either gives you rupees with very limited uses, monster drops which have one token use apiece before becoming equivalent to rupees, or treasure charts which again can be rupees and are pointless reward delay mechanism. Sailing back to Shark Island after finally having every item to unlock its secret and getting 200 rupees out of the thing is a kick in the balls. The game discourages the "explore early" philosophy because you're just wasting time - any islands with significant content will be gated with something late game because they're all part of the mandatory Triforce hunt.

But the worst part about exploration in this game is how all of the seams are visible. The entire world is a boring 7 x 7 grid. There are 49 islands and 49 sunken treasures. The checklist presentation kills the whole appeal of exploration dead.
>>
>>389912869

I think it's funny how people give TP shit for its overworld exploration and yet WW takes just as long to open itself up and spreads its content just as thin.
>>
File: storybook.webm (2MB, 960x540px) Image search: [Google]
storybook.webm
2MB, 960x540px
>>389912865
If you actually believe this there is something wrong with you. TP Link is so boring.
>>
>>389913148

TP Link is a goat rasslin' farm boy. He could probably snap WW Link in two with his bare hands.
>>
>>389913040
WW's introduction really does not get the critcism it deserves. it is ridiculously long and awful. Goat herding's got nothing on the rope-swinging sections.
>>
>>389910746
What they do way better than BotW is actually give a sense of adventure. There's a clear beginning middle and end. That applies to most of the 2D Zeldas as well, even the original. BotW's pacing is absolutely fucked. Making the map so loosely designed and giving the player to fight the final boss right away was a huge mistake. Pretty much nothing you do in the game has any stakes, you're just doing it because you might as well. It's so flimsy.
>>
>>389913625
>Goat herding's got nothing on the rope-swinging sections.
Goat herding takes far longer though.
>>
>>389913494
Well yeah, he's gone through puberty.
Wind Waker Link will probably look like Tetra's first mate attendant by the time he is TP Link's age.
>>
>>389908491
It's too anime.
>>
>>389912869
BotW has the same copypaste problem. OoT and TP also to a lesser extent. Nintendo doesn't know how to design 3D open worlds.
>>
>>389908491
Because of the kids who grew up with it that praise it like it was Jesus when it's obvious to anyone with half a brain that it was hurt badly by getting rushed out the door.

>empty as fuck timesink overworld
>four levels

>>389908579
I grew up with all three and WW is the worst of them, sorry the truth hurts senpai
>>
>>389913705

It really doesn't. It takes maybe 5 minutes.
>>
>>389914015
It takes less time to swing on ropes. I'm not sure where you're going with this. And by the time you're rope swinging you're already on your way out into the world.
>>
>>389909401
>But there's just something special about setting sail, hearing the triumphant music, and going to unexplored, mysterious areas.

There's a term for "something special," it's "childhood nostalgia." The previous 3D games have much more to ride on than this. I've never been able to beat WW more than once precisely because it pretty much sucks as a video game. My first time through was AMAZING. Then I stopped being 12.
>>
>>389913963

>I grew up with all three and WW is the worst of them, sorry the truth hurts senpai

This. WW is actually the Zelda that came out when I was 12, I played it when I was 12, and quite frankly fuck it.
>>
File: 1503122836092.jpg (76KB, 1024x907px) Image search: [Google]
1503122836092.jpg
76KB, 1024x907px
>>389914117
>>389914157
12mind
>>
>>389914115

>And by the time you're rope swinging you're already on your way out into the world.

You mean the Forsaken Fortress, right?
>>
>>389913928
I don't agree. BotW's shrines are much better and more varied than Wind Waker's grottos. The reward and combat shrines are typically in some unique location. The world is has lots of unique locales, assetes, and geometry. You go through multiple environment and biomes. Also BotW is a vastly bigger game. WW's copy-paste problem is exacerbated by how few islands there actually are, like 1/5th to 1/4th is copy-paste.
>>
>>389914117
i think nostalgia plays into how much some people like this game, but i think the drive to hate nostalgia plays into how much some people try to hate it.

its a good game
>>
>>389908491
Because /v/'s shitty hivemind. I grew up playing the original Zeldas, MM, OOT. I loved playing Wind Waker. Does it have its flaws? Sure, like the triforce hunt. Does it deserve the absolute vitriol that autistic faggots here have to piss and scream every time this game gets brought up? No.
>>
>>389914427
I was nostalgic for this game. Then I replayed it. It's a bad game.
>>
File: zeldaspaceworld2000.jpg (8KB, 247x191px) Image search: [Google]
zeldaspaceworld2000.jpg
8KB, 247x191px
Let's discuss how moving away from this is the sole reason Nintendo's brand has been in damage control with hip young people for the past two decades
>>
>>389914117

I beat it once as a kid, didn't have fond memories of it, and gave it another shot on WiiU when it hit the selects line so it was dirt cheap. All it did was reaffirm how I recalled feeling about the game for some 13 or so years, though I must confess that I did forget about some of its strengths - WW does indeed do well with making your sword not always the best tool for combat and its grottos are indeed some of the best in the series. Beyond that though, it's as I remembered it - not awful but pretty poor by Zelda standards.
>>
>>389914439
Please point out the vitriol because I'm seeing very grounded complaints in this thread.
>>
>>389914335
>BotW's shrines are much better and more varied than Wind Waker's grottos

Not him, but BotW's shrines are all the fucking same. How can you say they are varied at all?
>>
>>389914439
>Does it deserve the absolute vitriol that autistic faggots here have to piss and scream every time this game gets brought up? No.

a video game is an inanimate object, I have no vitriol for it. I have vitriol for projecting autistic faglords who cry about other people having taste
>>
>>389914546
>>389914596
Sorry autists, but I'm not going to go through every wind waker thread just to point out to you two anons the constant shitposting this game gets.
>>
>no real overworld
>no real exploration, just a bunch of minigame islands
>only 4 real dungeons (On par with MM, but MM made up for it with having an amazing overworld)
>strict graphical downgrade from what everyone was expecting via the e3 tech demo

It wasn't bad, its just not a zelda game I would ever go back to, let alone 100%, considering i've 100% every other mainline zelda game thus far.
>>
>>389914595
Every shrine in an open or obviously visible area has unique puzzles, some are one room, some have many rooms. Every shrine that is a reward or a combat shrine is in some unique location or requires its own sidequest.

There's a lot of variety between stasis golf and trying to keep an ice cube from melting in a desert.

Compare that to the eye reefs which are all the exact same thing.
>>
>>389914691
>even thinking to do something like that
>not autism

Or you're underage who played WW for the first time on Wii U. Whichever the case, stop posting, you're dumb
>>
>>389914794
There are five dungeons.

But yes, the original has the single worst 100% run in the entire series.

I don't know how anyone could possibly still like this game after getting all of the figurines. Hope you had your GBA link cable too.
>>
>>389914794
you 100% BotW?
>>
>>389914962
Oh right, I always forget about the tower.
>>
>>389915009
working on it.
>>
>>389915120
it took me 250 hours
>>
>>389914480
But no, seriously. People were buying Gamecubes for this shit. I remember going into Wal-Mart's video game section as a wee lad and they had floor mats that were just blown-up versions of screenshots from this video.

I swear it's like Miyamoto was trying to get his subordinates to nut up and fight on him on something for a change by make the OBJECTIVELY SHITTY BUSINESS DECISION TO TURN THE COMPANY'S BIGGEST CONSOLE SELLER to the style of a Japanese cartoon for children (in a series that had historically been more popular in America since the very first game), but nope.
>>
>>389915053
We can just not count Earth Temple because it's the worst ever.

So 4 dungeons and one complete insult.
>>
>>389915053

Weird, considering the tower would be the best if not for its awful first half with the shifting water levels. Its second half is the most competent stretch of dungeon the game has, not that it weighs strongly against others in the series, it's just the least embarrassing.
>>
>>389914794
MM had six dungeons plus four additional 1/4 dungeons
>>
>>389914335
BotW's shrines have zero sense of place, they're all built from the same template and same handful of assets. They're not quite as bad as, say, Wind Waker's reefs, but they are very samey. A good chunk of them are either tests of strength against the same basic enemy, or blessings which are just glorified loading screens that guard a monk and a chest. The rest are simple and short physics puzzles. They don't feel like part of the world, they feel like Portal test chambers that were plopped onto the overworld.

In my opinion they simply made too many of them. If instead of 120 there were about 20 decently lengthed shrines that all had at least slightly different aesthetics and music, and were more organically incorporated into the landscape, it would be fine. But then you might as well just call them dungeons.
>>
>>389915204

They're all complete insults in some form or fashion, even Wind Temple is dragged down by carrying Makar around and an awful interior design. Seriously, that dungeon looks oppressively bland. At least with Earth Temple Medli is a more interesting escort though the level design is way less inspired and FLOORMASTERS FUCKING EVERYWHERE.
>>
>>389915204
>>389915227
I just always forget about it because like most of the dungeons it was completely unremarkable.

The forest and wind temples were essentially the same, only dragonroost really felt interesting because of all the lava and shit.

Meanwhile I could remember most of twilight princess's dungeons because their themes were clearly layed out and the equipment made them interesting, such as zipping around with the double clawshots or riding the gear top around on walls.
>>
>>389908826
>still a much better game than BoTW
On Opposite Day. Play both games back to back cretin.
>>
>>389915386
If instead of shrines BotW just put a regular Zelda game inside of that overworld, it might have been as good as everyone keeps saying
>>
>>389915158
every Zelda game has cartoon graphics, that's the way Nintendo envisions the franchise
>>
>>389908491
It was alright to good.

But it is dragged down by the inclusion of Tingle to pad out the endgame because they couldn't get two more dungeons into the game.

The remake fixes that, but adds FUCKING BLOOM EVERYWHERE and destroys the artstyle.
>>
>>389914480
Nintendo hasn't been the same since the gamecube. They've completely given up on trying to be competitive.
http://www.denofgeek.com/us/games/nintendo/262192/how-the-gamecube-made-nintendo-cynical
>>
>>389915437

I'd say the best overall dungeon was Forbidden Woods and not because of its design but rather because the Deku Leaf is by far WW's coolest tool and it's the dungeons where it's used the most creatively.
>>
>>389915470
all sprite-based games have cartoon graphics and the first 3D game is a mishmash of photorealistic detail and anime

going cel shaded hurt the brand image of the entire Zelda series. I'm not speaking as a fanboy here, this is irrefutable truth. it was not a wise business maneuver. you can dress up your special snowflake mentality for liking the game despite so many people shitting on it as elevating your taste above theirs but word to the wise that's literally autism
>>
>>389915459
That was honestly what I was expecting when the game was first revealed way back, that it would be literally LoZ in 3D. As in you would have to find all the dungeons yourself, some of which would be more hidden than others. Instead they made some of the 120 shrines hidden, but made the closest things to actual dungeons incredibly obvious and part of semi-lengthy scripted events.
>>
>>389913040
> WW takes just as long to open itself up and spreads its content just as thin.

WW does have the saving grace of actual, proper sidequests though, which save it from being completely irredeemable. TP is just so unmemorable.
>>
File: 1420233918846.jpg (1MB, 840x1142px) Image search: [Google]
1420233918846.jpg
1MB, 840x1142px
>>389908491

They don't. People were a little butthurt at first because of the artstyle change. The only people that hate it now are a few shitposters on this board that won't shut the fuck up.

It's a pretty 9/10 game just like every other 3D Zelda.

The only Zelda game that is unjustly hated is Adventure of Link
>>
>>389915386
Like I said, the blessing shrines are all in unique locations that generally have their own challenges or require exploration to have. They're glorified treasure chests. Those challenges are built into the world organically, which is why a lot of those shrines are great. This is stuff like the snowball rolling challenge or the dark forest. This is also true of a lot of the combat shrines (which at least have variations of environmental factors and enemy).

Grottos have always been disconnected from the overworld. It's why they're grottos. I like the shrines because there's lots of variety in the challenges they pose. I also think people don't recognize that they ARE themed and carefully placed. Every region has its own flavor of shrines. For example, the Gerudo Desert shrines have electricity puzzles, and the Death Mountain ones have the majority of fire puzzles.

Between the activities in the shrines, shrine quests, and the unique environmental challenges, shrines offer a lot of variety out of a universally reusable and consistently useful reward mechanic. They're not dungeons. They're the equivalent of challenge caves in ALBW or more elaborate grottos in the 3D games.
>>
>>389911484
>people bitched that it was too easy

Well of course. Why wouldn't we? Nintendo are terrifies of making Zelda hard even if it was never directed at a casual fanbase.
>>
>>389914595
I can tell that you're trying too hard.
>>
>>389915705

Amen. BotW got the free exploration right but it messed up in making the act of discovery satisfying. I would've loved to have had 30 well hidden dungeons the size of 4 shrines a piece over 120 grotto-sized shrines. Would've been way fucking cooler.
>>
>>389915532
>stopped trying to be competitive
>Wii won the console war
fool
>>
>>389915705
>That was honestly what I was expecting when the game was first revealed way back, that it would be literally LoZ in 3D

I was defending this game pre-release because I anticipated the exact same thing, because that's exactly how they advertised it. Now this board is infested with actual kids who obviously never played Zelda 1 because they STILL say that's what it is, when it really did turn out closer to Legend of Skyrim than anything in its own series. On the bright side, Switch kids will finally get the chance to play Skyrim for themselves pretty soon and see for themselves.
>>
>>389915737

TP's disposition is that of a main quest oriented Zelda. It was much more narrative driven than any Zelda before it, resulting in a greater push towards story-advancing setpieces and pushing the player to get to the next dungeon, of which their gimmicks and design obviously received a lot of attention as well. TP's overworld/free exploration game suffered as a result - it's there, it's just far from the best the series has seen. In a lot of ways, TP is the Metroid Fusion to SS's Other M - the latter gets all the flak but it's the former that began walking down that path, only not so egregiously as to piss everyone off.
>>
>>389915532
most people involved in the company at that time are dead or retired, the current guys making games are a newer generation

I think it did effect them during the Wii period though, Nintendo seemed to stop caring about making quality titles at the time and focus on the gimmicks
>>
>>389915989
>Wii won the console war
and destroyed their image and reputation in the process.
>>
>>389916108

>Nintendo seemed to stop caring about making quality titles at the time

Except they came out swinging in the Wii's first 18 months. Twilight Princess, Super Mario Galaxy, Metroid Prime 3, Mario Kart Wii and Super Smash Bros. Brawl were all substantial, heavily advertised titles. And even when they did start slowing down we still got stuff like Sin & Punishment 2, Donkey Kong Country Returns and Xenoblade Chronicles. Oh sure, the Wii line of games were a mess outside of Sports but Nintendo dodn't give up wholesale that gen either.
>>
>>389916091
>TP is the Metroid Fusion

Yes exactly

>to SS' Other M

WHAT no, SS was intentionally subverting series tropes because TP was deliberately made to be the last of its kind as a "traditional" Zelda format (with everything you said about railroading and story orientation being true). Fuck this "people think this game is bad but it's AYCKSHUALLY the previous game's fault" logic, it's that shit that makes discussing games like RE4 and MGS3 impossible now
>>
>>389916314
Mario Galaxy is the only actually good game in that entire list
>>
>>389916314
>Twilight Princess
it's a gamecube game m8
>Super Mario Galaxy
I've always thought it's overrated but yeah most people like it
>Metroid Prime 3
it's pretty disappointing compared to the first two
>Brawl
Brawl was incredibly disappointing
>>
>>389908491
It's just the circle of life with Zelda games
>>
>>389916220
It didn't, Iwata said himself the Wii turned out to be a short-term gain and sales dropped off hard, which is the entire reason the Wii U had to come out prematurely.
>>
>>389916481
TP came out on the wii first
>>
>>389916406

The railroading and story orientation honestly saw roots with MM but it was first particularly noticeable with TP. SS was a subversion but it subverted in a direction that the series had already VERY slowly but surely been heading in for about a decade. SS was just the game where they finally went whole hog with the idea to see what would happen, but TP definitely foreshadowed it.
>>
>>389916314
Brawl came out way after the Wii
>>
>>389916556
TP is the entire reason the Wii sold out at launch and the Wii is the entire reason TP is a fucking mess
>>
>>389916220
Like the article says it was the Gamecube that did that, with the Wii they at least had a niche with casual gamers, then the Wii U hurt their reputation further

The Switch actually feels like the first time in a decade that Nintendo aren't just phoning it in and are trying to rebuild their reputation
>>
>>389916556
yeah I know but the Gamecube version was better and it was always originally intended as a Gamecube game, the Wii version was a somewhat rushed port
>>
>>389916614
Dude no you're wrong. TP was deliberately made to be a swan song for all of the Zelda games prior. SS was deliberately made to be something radically different. There is no foreshadowing.
>>
>>389915120
>>389915146
Why in gods name would you subject yourselves to that?
>>
>>389915825
> People were a little butthurt at first because of the artstyle change.

Oh please, it's way more than that. The game is so utterly disrespectful to the player it hurts. It went full on in making you go through so much tedious shit in order to just try to explore and it completely unapologetic about it.
>>
Precisely four dungeons. Endless sailing. Triforce hunt. Eveything is an OOT rehash. Ganon's Tower is just a boss rush. Any other questions?
>>
>>389916463
>>389916481

To each their own but they were all very well received games.

>>389916617

I did say within the first 18 months, as in until May of 2008. MK Wii came out in April if memory serves and Nintendo's 2008 was legendarily bad after the matter. I think the biggest title that year after MK Wii was Wii Fit.
>>
>>389916807
There's 5 dungeons though, 6 if you count Ganon's Tower
>>
>>389916792
all of the OoT inspired Zelda's are tedious handholdey shit, not just WW
>>
>>389908696
how do I upvote this?
>>
>>389916724

It can be both. TP very clearly has an emphasis on setpieces and storyline, not unlike SS pushed. It did so within the context of adhering to old Zelda tradition but it still did what SS did at large, only with less commitment. SS definitely had its own ideas like making fields feel like an extension of dungeons, item upgrades, a more puzzle-like approach to combat and the stamina meter. Not EVERYTHING in SS was foreshadowed and it did enough to be at least a minor departure. But the railroading and storyline emphasis? TP was already openly toying with that in a way that previous Zeldas didn't embrace so readily.
>>
File: nintendoswitchsdk.png (316KB, 639x307px) Image search: [Google]
nintendoswitchsdk.png
316KB, 639x307px
>>389916653
The Switch is a handheld that doesn't fit in your pocket with a dock for "added hardware" where the hardware is a motherboard that doesn't take up more than 1/5 of the space inside of it

>pic related

thank god, hopefully they'll make the jump already
>>
>>389908491
shit artstyle
>>
>>389916653
I don't think you read the article because it was with the gamecube where they last tried to be competitive and failed. Nintendo has changed so that they can no longer be compared to their competition.
>>
>>389916653
I hate that people have bought into the Switch. After a decade of shit, I'm sick of Nintendo's gimped consoles. They can keep their handheld line, but I want them to move to PC already.
>>
>>389915829
>They're glorified treasure chests

That's the issue I have, why should they be glorified? Why not have the spirit orb and chest just appear right there when the conditions are met? Maybe give them a Sheikah architecture/aesthetic to make them stand-out and line up with the "lore". Having to go through multiple loadscreens and skip cutscenes is not a reward, it's a waste of time. If it only happened once it would be a minor nitpick but it happens many times. It's also not 100% consistent, there are shrines which require a lot of work to uncover but still have actual content inside. So it's hard to keep expectations in check. At least they could have given each type of shrine its own color scheme, symbol, pattern, etc. It speaks to the way the shrines were designed, they used the same template every time, the only difference is some of the stuff inside. That's what I mean by copypaste.

>combat shrines (which at least have variations of environmental factors and enemy)

The variations are so meaningless they might as well not exist. I'm not opposed to having combat challenges, but the tests of strength were total wastes of potential. Even throwing in 2 or 3 of the robots at once would have been a change of pace. Maybe have some of the smaller ones. Maybe have more intricate level design that invite the player to use stealth, or ranged combat. Maybe have 2-3 Lynels at once. etc etc etc. They took the laziest possible route. Some water and pillars are not enough to keep things interesting.

>Grottos have always been disconnected from the overworld.

The disconnected nature of grottos/caves/etc in 3D Zelda has been a recurring problem IMO. Shrines just abstract it even further and clash with BotW's open-air design philosophy. Going through a long loading-screen and being teleported to a totally disconnected underground room breaks the flow. If they were lengthy and had their own distinct identity, having that break would be fine, but they're brief and samey.
>>
>>389917316

Nintendo is such an insular company that they would all shut down the moment they had to work on someone else's hardware.
>>
>>389917363
I doubt it. No company as big as Nintendo is that suicidal, no matter how backwards and behind the times they may be. I don't see any reason why they couldn't start up their own service like Steam. That way, they still retain full control over everything.
I just loathe that they willfully gimp their games to this extent.
>>
>>389917849

It was a joke, but only sort of. I think Nintendo has famously stated at one point that if they're going down they're taking their IPs with them.
>>
>>389918005
My bad. Considering some of the things Nintendo has said and done, it's always hard to tell.
I think I've heard that in passing as well. If they did actually say it, I'd like to think it would be a PR stunt to incentivize people to support them, and not something they genuinely believe.
>>
File: nintendofetch.jpg (63KB, 853x480px) Image search: [Google]
nintendofetch.jpg
63KB, 853x480px
>>389908491
If a game exactly like it came out on the PS2, but with Ratchet and Clank (or the same but with uh, X-Box Banjo and Kazooie)as the main characters it would have been lauded as groundbreaking and innovative. As it stands, it was a Zelda game so people feel the need to shit all over it since it is NOT OoT!!! or because it's not on [system of choice]. The great sea is not exciting enough to carry 80% of the gameplay, but it works as a way to load new areas without making gameplay pause for 5 minutes (fucking GTA bullshit). Nintendo wanting to make FETCH happen was kind of bullshit, especially since practically every GCN game had that going on (Triforce quest on Zelda, Glyph quest on Metroid, Shine quest at the end of Mario - where you couldn't get to the actual end-game unless you 100%'ed the rest of the game). I'm sure it would have been GotG for that generation though, if it was like, Rayman 4: High Seas! or something.
>>
>>389917329
>If it only happened once it would be a minor nitpick but it happens many times

Not him but if it only happened once it would be a complete non-issue. If it happens many times THEN it's just a minor nitpick.

The shrines were fine and the loading screens were never that bad unless you're just ridiculously impatient.
>>
>>389909241
Its only gets funniet when this is the last 'dungeon' in the game
Thread posts: 147
Thread images: 16

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.