[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Has the ship sailed on playing this for the first time? Will

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 50
Thread images: 6

File: JCDenton2.png (268KB, 432x454px) Image search: [Google]
JCDenton2.png
268KB, 432x454px
Has the ship sailed on playing this for the first time? Will i enjoy it, or be turned off by the aged controls etc?
>>
Shooting mechanics will suck shit because
>RPG
but it's a classic.
>>
>>389867534
Play it with hacking and stealth.
>>
>>389867534
I started playing it for the first time a month or 2 ago
if you can put up with weird AI
the aiming might trip you up a bit
https://steamcommunity.com/app/6910/discussions/0/613936673444809191/
to minimize work just do steps 3-6
>>
>>389867534
If controls worked at one point, why should they stop working today?

I haven't played Deus Ex, but I recently played Gothic 1 for the first time. That game arguably has clunky controls, and especially interacting with things seems needlessly convoluted: you press Ctrl + Up. But after you do that a few times it becomes second nature to you and you don't notice it anymore at all.
So just go for it.
>>
>>389867901
I fucked up those first two lines goddamnit
>I started playing it for the first time a month or 2 ago
and it seems to hold up pretty well, im enjoying it
>if you can put up with weird AI
you should be fine, most other aspects are RPG based and shouldnt be too unfamiliar
>>
File: 20170824171433_1.jpg (247KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
20170824171433_1.jpg
247KB, 1920x1080px
Deus Ex never had bad controls nor did it really age aside from the graphical design choices being straight out of early 2000s.

If you're not a smelly casual, I see no reason not to enjoy DX. Played it first around 2010 and I must've finished it like eight times already.

Here, have a picture of me sprinkling crack on the body of a local drug dealer to confuse the local police.
>>
>>389868207
What did you think of Gothic? I bought the trilogy a few months ago for pennies during a sale but only played for an hour or so. Not long enough to form an opinion.
>>
It's more dated than HL1 eventhough it's newer
>>
>>389868207
>If controls worked at one point, why should they stop working today?
Because video games age, anon. Old games are literally unplayable. No joke I had this argument with one guy and he would just keep telilng me that no todays video games are much better because they're tailored to you as in you-now not you-past.
>>
>>389867534
GMDX mod eases things for newcomers tho
>>
Played DE for the first time in 2013 I think.
I found its main strengths to be the exploration and character progression, while its main weaknesses are combat and stealth.
My recommendation is to focus on combat as it is more reliable and less retarded than the stealth, specifically melee combat. Suffer through Liberty Island, and the rest of the game will range from good to amazing (the first time at least). Also, turn off the fucking head bob.
>>
>>389868973
The standards are much better now though. I love gta3, but it is basically unplayable now because of the controls. Even if a game is playable, your enjoyment can suffer because your used to better.
>>
>>389868475
I played Gothic 2 back in the day and it is one of my favourite games of all time. I got an even greater appretiation for it after beating it recently.
Gothic 1 is good. Not as great as 2, but definately a game you should play first, especially because Gothic 2 builds on what it does, both from its design philosophy and its setting.

Approach the game with a "don't always do what people tell you and find your own solutions by exploring" mindset.
>>
Swimming stats is a must
>>
>>389869575
Nah, if you dedicate some time to playing a game that is good you will adapt to its gameplay after some minutes.
>>
>>389868973
>Because video games age, anon. Old games are literally unplayable.
Don't be a faggot and pretend gameplay mechanics like shooting haven't been refined since older games. I jerk off older games as much as any body but specific mechanics in those games are atrocious by today's standards. It doesn't make the games retroactively bad but it makes it harder to enjoy them in modern day.
>>
>>389870168
>Nah, if you dedicate some time to playing a game that is good you will adapt to its gameplay after some minutes.
That's really subjective anon. What's true for you isn't true for everyone else.
>>
I played Deus Ex for the first time in 2010 or something and the gunplay was never good so it's not like the game aged significantly or anything.
>>
>>389870312
i'm gay and you're a faggot
>>
>>389867534
I played it for the first time this year with GMDX so yes go ahead and do it
>>
>Thief: The Dark Project
>Deus Ex
>System Shock 2
is this the holy triumvirate of pc games everyone should play?
>>
>>389869492
Yeah, the combat in and itself was never good, but the tactics options the game provides you is excellent.

Deus Ex has a lot of freedom in gameplay and I think that it's still the best Deus Ex game even though Human Revolution was great too.
>>
>>389870209
>It doesn't make the games retroactively bad but it makes it harder to enjoy them in modern day.
not really. Doom and Quake are still fun. You don't need a dedicated grenade button or iron sights for shooting to be fun
>>
>>389867534
As someone who's currently playing through it for the first time too, I can only say that don't let that slow first act stop you. It really is pretty much the worst part.
>>
>>389868207
gothic 1 was really weird. i was really put off when i started it and tried really hard to find a way to play the game with the mouse like today's ARPGs.

anyway i committed to playing with keyboard only and to be honest the controls ended up being really good. i could play the game 1 handed at times.

best lockpicking in a game ever
>>
>>389867534
Git gud
>>
>>389870976
i disliked the supernatural elements of thief
>>
I played it for the first time in 2013, and it's my favorite game today.
I definitely did have to learn to like certain parts of it.
>>
File: 1501297563307.png (424KB, 600x629px) Image search: [Google]
1501297563307.png
424KB, 600x629px
depends on your tolerance. I've seen people refuse to play Splinter Cell: Chaos Theory because it felt "dated"
>>
File: 1474015738188.jpg (82KB, 658x1072px) Image search: [Google]
1474015738188.jpg
82KB, 658x1072px
>>389867534
I played it for the first time a week before Mankind Divided released. It was still one of the best games I've ever played and beats the fuck out of most modern vidya. The opening statue of liberty level bored the hell out of me but once you get past that its still a fucking masterpiece

The best part is now I get to be in on all the epic deus ex maymays
>>
>>389870976
The first Thief has a looot of bad parts and sides to it.
Thief 2, while not being quite as interesting, was the better game.
>>
>>389870976
Replace The Dark Project with 2 and you're good to go.
>>
The NSF are terrorists.
>>
Controls will take some adjusting/rebinding but otherwise I think that Deus Ex still holds up extremely well.

First time I played it was back in 2012 and it quickly became my all time favourite game. Still is.
>>
>>389871796
>>389871814
so maybe i should just ditch thief which has been laying dormant in my steam library for 3 months and play thief 2 instead
>>
>>389867534
Personal opinion from someone who's finally finished the game a couple of days ago.
It still is absolutely enjoyable and playable, if you're coming off of later entries of the series you might need some slight readjustments of the strategies and approaches you apply, but it's easy enough to pick it up and get immersed with the world. I would only recommend spending some time on rebinding the controls, perhaps by launching the training level from the main menu and seeing what works for you.
>>
It's aged like milk. Also don't bother using any of the guns because they all feel like shit. Oh and the stealth is awful.
>>
>>389871989
nah it's a good experience. I think people should play both but 2 is the superior game. It refined the elements that made 1 great.
>>
>>389871750
Why don't you try getting a job?
>>
File: 1474480707822.jpg (75KB, 671x1190px) Image search: [Google]
1474480707822.jpg
75KB, 671x1190px
>>389871750
>>389871750
>The best part is now I get to be in on all the epic deus ex maymays
this guy gets it
>>
>>389867534
Rebind the keys to something comfortable, play it for the story and atmosphere.
>>
>>389867534
I played this came for the first time last year and it's still good, you just have to get used to it. The biggest thing to get used to is just how many buttons are used in comparison to newer games that are designed with controller in mind.
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hNUNx319UCM

Reminder
>>
>>389871989
You should play it. Even just once, if nothing more.
Get the unofficial patch called TFix to avert various wacky glitches.
>>
File: 1466488070592.jpg (150KB, 931x932px) Image search: [Google]
1466488070592.jpg
150KB, 931x932px
>>389873001
>>
>>389871168
Do you play DOOM with mouselook or just the arrows?
>>
>>389873213
Not that guy but there are control methods that are legitimately outdated. A good example of this was Doom's original control scheme in which the played moved with WASD but rather than use the mouse to look around, the arrow keys were used (this was because mice were uncommon at the time, mouse look didn't become standard to PC FPS till Quake). Deus Ex is not outdated to that extent, there are some key binds that are abnormal compared to today's keybinds, but they can easily be rebound to something more normal today through its options.

Very few games are outdated to the extent Doom was, which is why every modern source port of the game includes mouselook.
>>
>>389875074
Yeah, I use mouselook in Doom as well.
>>
>>389873001
>nutatco
>not unutco
Thread posts: 50
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.