[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why did old games look so good as a kid? For example Freedom

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1

File: screenshot7_xl.jpg (203KB, 1200x900px) Image search: [Google]
screenshot7_xl.jpg
203KB, 1200x900px
Why did old games look so good as a kid?

For example Freedom Fighter (pic related) looked like real life for me when I played it and now it just looks bad. Is it really just nostalgia or does it have something to do with how kids perceive vidya?
>>
>>389789725
I have that for Nokia Ngage games... I recently got one to relive my hs days, Half the games are utterly unplayable...
>>
>>389789725
in my memories Ocarina of Time looks like Twilight Princess.
>>
>>389789725
that looks better than most modern games to me because it's so clean and crisp. games these days are covered in blue, bloom, flares, chromatic aberration etc.
>>
>>389789725
Visual clarity, now everything needs blur and fancy particle effects and lens flares, things look better when you can actually make them out.
>>
>>389791486
>>389792496
Where are you niggers at when I'm praising old games for their art? Everywhere I go all I see is people shittalking old games for looking like phone games or whatever.
>>
>>389789725
This doesn't look bad to me at all. It looks great actually.

I like older game graphics in many ways. The less detail it has the more things seem to pop out imo. like character models or art design. Modern games have too much detail and can often get lost in that detail. Looks nice but doesn't really look unique or anything.

That game you posted looks really nice to me. I also miss when shooters had the player character centered rather than wide left.
>>
You didn't have a reference point for anything bett
>>
>>389789725
It's not "kids," it's that technology is constantly improving. Back then, that may have been one of the most realistic-looking games you've ever seen. Likewise, that one magazine cover extoling how lifelife Unreal looked wasn't being sarcastic, it really did look that good compared to everything else back then. Whatever high-budget game from this year that we can all agree has the most realistic graphics ever seen, will soon look as artificial and "obviously a game" as your Freedom Fighter game does to us now.
>>
>>389789725
For the age it looks pretty good still.

Plays great and has a great soundtrack.
I even recognized it from the thumbnail not the full image.
>>
Lack of graphical refinement leaves room for the imagination.
Part of what made Lovecraft such a unique writer is that he would describe his monsters, but rarely tell you what they actually looked like. This let your imagination take over and made the work more unnerving that it would be otherwise.
The same rule applies.
>>
>>389789725
Because you were a kid and that was the best that was offered back then or close to it.
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.