[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Well? Is he right?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 62
Thread images: 8

File: Capture.png (37KB, 587x427px) Image search: [Google]
Capture.png
37KB, 587x427px
Well? Is he right?
>>
>>389758109
As much as I hate Smash and their autistic players, he's not.

Items and stuff like that get removed because they aren't made for competitive play. They add uncertainty in the match upcoming and randomness is not something you want to see at high level play.
>>
Just make your own items on tournament who is stopping you
>>
>professional
>game aimed for children around 8 to 12
It's Nintendos way of telling you to spend your time doing something else.
>>
>>389758384
What's wrong with smash players?

Other than children and people like K9 in Smash 4 who rage autistically.
>>
stage bans make more of the roster viable
you really want to play a slow character in a world where fox can pick hyrule temple and kite you for literally the entire match?
>>
>>389758109
Honestly it's more a problem with the game itself. If there was a way to turn off stage hazards (or if the hazards were at least 100% consistent), if the item spawns were consistent, etc, they could be incorporated into competitive play. But it's random bullshit. Instead of "omega" stages there should just be an option to turn stage hazards off.
>>
I turn items off and half the stages even for casual play because they aren't fun.
>>
>>389759476
>Stage has stage hazards on a timed (+- 10sec) rotation
>Still banned

Nah, the rules are just retarded.
>>
File: 1415687326596.png (343KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
1415687326596.png
343KB, 640x480px
>>389758109
>is it more fun?
It would be more fun for him, sure. More fun for me too. I find items fun for the most part.

>The game is designed around all of the mechanics being in place
100% agree. Sm4sh was without a doubt made to be played with all the mechanics enabled.
But it was also design to be able to let you customize the experience as evidence by very in-depth ABILITY TO CUSTOMIZE the experience with individual on/off selections of items and stages.

Nintendie and the developers made it crystal clear the sm4sh design philosophy; Party game first, fighting game after.

Doesn't mean its wrong take it too seriously though. All the options are there that allow you to.
>>
>>389758109
To be clear he's talking about Melee here
>>
>>389758384
Dota 2 has randomness everywhere and it is the most competitive game ever, has had over 1M simultaneous players on it at a time and given the highest prize pools in video game history, backed and funded by its own community.

Maybe Smash players just need to git gud ;)
>>
>>389759895
Melee is LITERALLY balanced around items, according to Sakurai himself. Pichu is light and fast, because he's meant to pick up items faster. A lot of characters were built with that sort of thing in mind.
>>
>Subset of players choose not to utilize certain aspects of the game
>This somehow makes the game unfun
I don't follow
>>
>>389760921
pichu was designed as a handicap character, he is supposed to be shit
>>
How the fuck does one "flank" in a 2d fighter
>>
>>389760346
Dota 2's RNG isn't as impactful on average as the RNG in a casual Smash match. There's a lot of mechanics in place to counter the RNG or use it to your average. e.g. river runes are random but having map control over them is not. Also Dota 2 is a team game and Smash's meta is defined by 1v1, there's 2v2 tournaments but those are more niche. The two games aren't really comparable.
>>
>>389758109
It's like smash games are party games and not serious fighting games!

If you have to disable most of the maps, characters and items to make it remotely balanced then it's time to just admit that it isn't meant for the format they're trying to shoehorn it into.
>>
>>389758109
>he
>>
Sm4sh's items aren't too fun to work with.
My friends and I had a lot more enjoyment just working with what our characters had.
>>
>>389758384

>Peach player spends most of her times pulling turnips from the ground which has a chance of being a high damaging item
>This is acceptable

lol ok
>>
File: madtiredanime.png (168KB, 400x400px) Image search: [Google]
madtiredanime.png
168KB, 400x400px
who gives a shit. let people play the game however they want. removing the luck-based elements to make a game more reliant on inherent skill makes sense for competitive purposes
>>
>>389758109
yeah
i think some items and stages are inherently unbalanced but not as much as is banned
i think smash is fun and i get why people like playing it competitively but it's so boring to watch, matches are way too long and it's too defensive (constant rolling and dodging, can't chip people out because you need to land a smash attack or something of similar power)
the game is pretty clearly not designed to be competitive like street fighter or tekken
>>
>>389761490
How do you counter autoattack RNG damage?

>Smash's meta is defined by 1v1
See OP's posts about the "meta" being designed to dismiss most of the games features.
>>
File: 1500526742478.jpg (19KB, 480x405px) Image search: [Google]
1500526742478.jpg
19KB, 480x405px
>>389758109
>Smash bros
>Flanking
>>
>>389758109
just goes to show the game isnt meant to be played competitively and smashbabies are the biggest autists around that literally nobody takes seriously except other smashbabies
>>
>>389758384
>Items and stuff like that get removed because they aren't made for competitive play.
The entire game isn't made for competitive play
>>
>>389758109
Of course he's right. I mean he's objectively correct. The games aren't designed to be played the way they are in competition and that's just a simple truth.
>>
>>389758109
>Yet another nu-weeb cuck that shills Crunchyroll and H A T E S piracy
nah
>>
>>389758109
>Smash
>More fun with items
Even casual matches turn items down unless they go in intended to use primarily items.
>>
>>389760346
>Kickstarting your tourneys is a good thing
>RNG garbage is 'the most competitive game ever'
>M-Muh price pool when it only affects 0.000001% of the playerbase, those who play the tourney
Never come back to a smash thread
>>
>>389758109
Smash is garbage anyways, who cares.
>>
>>389762920
>The game isn't designed to be played with the basic mechanics
Why is /v/ full of such retards?
>>
File: 1500480664966.jpg (31KB, 624x624px) Image search: [Google]
1500480664966.jpg
31KB, 624x624px
Why do people think they have a right to have input on how games are played at a high level?

"Wow dude, tekken would be so much more fun with 16 extra frames of input lag so every attack is a 50/50 mix up."

Fuck off and die.
>>
Yes

Smash is a game built entirely around giving you a million options and a billion ways to play. Locking it down to something as basic as "no items fox only final destination" (inb4 spergs point out that pros also play marth or prefer battlefield or something, you know what I'm getting at) is shitting all over it on principle. There's nothing wrong with playing those modes in general, it's about trying to force it to be the only way to play. And don't even use "balance" as an argument since again trying to make the game totally balanced by removing the majority of it is the antithesis of what the game was designed to be like. You don't see people trying to turn mario kart into a "serious" competitive tournament, and whenever your friend tells you not to use blue shells because they're unfair you call him a crybaby bitch, you don't ban it from use.
>>
File: 1504120651949.jpg (44KB, 740x742px) Image search: [Google]
1504120651949.jpg
44KB, 740x742px
What pisses me off is when I'm trying to play Smash casually at a gathering or something and there's always at least one faggot who has to be a tryhard

Only picks his best characters, whines if items are on and we pick actual stages, etc. Fucking wet blankets.
>>
>>389762626
Blademail reflects the damage, armor reduces damage by %, health is obvious, drafting better heroes, maintain proper vision, and glimmer is nice if you are a squishy support. PA (probably the prune example of rng right click) one shots supports because they stay in range of dagger. They really need to initiate together with mobility items like blink or force staff.
>>
>>389760921
Pichu's trophy literally says he's a weak piece of shit and you're better off playing Pikachu
>>
>>389763784
I'm not saying how you counter damage, but how as a player can you counter the randomness in the damage in every single one of your own autoattacks.
>>
>>389760921
So the faster characters pick up more items and run circles around slower characters? This is """""balance""""" according to item apologists.
>>
>>389758109
Anime reviewers are the stupidest people, i don't think any have even worked in animation
>>
>>389763780
FUCKING NORMIES REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
>>
>>389758109
Geoff is a faggot that forces his hot political opinions into shit but here he is completely right.
>>
>>389762626
I've never played a moba but imagine if your autoattacks had a .001% chance to make you instantly kill yourself. Or if the guy you were fighting just became literally invincible and immune to all CC for 10 seconds, and the item that let him do that just so happened to have spawned on his side of the lane. Items in Smash are too powerful to just let them run amok.
>>
>>389758384
The game was not made for competitive play.
>>
>>389758109
Can threads with a twitter screencap and "is he/she right?" be an autoban please
>>
>>389758109
Guys, no one tell him that Smash 4 has a dedicated 1v1 no-items FD-only online mode, and that Nintendo backs Smash tournaments now.
>>
>>389758109
he's right
>>
>>389764835
Neither was chess.
>>
To be honest, I'd usually agree but the guy in the OP fucked up when he said "professional smash bros".
The point of a professional scene is to get good at something.

Now I agree that Smash is a lot more fun when you've got items and stage hazards and shit. Everything's more chaotic and unpredictable, it's a more fun time especially for fucking around.

But through the years people who took the game seriously (in the same way people can take most games seriously) they throw out all the arbitrary shit that makes the game about chance over skill until, eventually, they turn it into something that's skill based.
Professional smash stuff is skill based. inb4 ">smash
>skill
choose one".

I find pro smash stuff fucking boring, but how does this retard not realise the difference between casual fun and pro scenes?
>>
>>389765232
How so?
>>
File: 1502568264068.gif (92KB, 343x360px) Image search: [Google]
1502568264068.gif
92KB, 343x360px
>>389758109
>(because some are designed to use those mechanics)
Everyone is designed to use those mechanics. Those mechanics are functionally the same for every character. Literally none of that shit would help them any more than it helps every other character. Also the vast majority of the "non-tournament" or whatever stages in Smash 4 are legit fucking garbage and I don't participate in any of this competitive shit.
>>
Why do anime YouTubers feel so fucking fake? It's like they're all either faggot ironic weebs or English majors who couldn't find another job, gaming YouTube is also full of fags but at least you can see the enthusiasm many of them have for vidya.
>>
>>389764835
>Character have individual tools unique to them that they can use to win
>You can win
>You can beat other people when playing the game
That's a recipe for competition. If people take interest, a competitive community will inevitably form. Here's how you kill it.
>Reduce the variety between character weight significantly
>Reduce the variety between character movement significantly
>Reduce the variety between character hitboxes significantly
>Remove all attacks from characters
>Make items the only means of attacking other players
There. I've drastically reduced Smash's viability as a competitive spectacle. No need to thank me.
>>
>>389765889
That's because they are. Demolition D was the only real nigga and he doesn't upload any more.
>>
>>389758384

Doesn't explain disabling stages though. Environmental hazards are a thing in other esports games and they are part of learning the game.
>>
>>389765501
Seriously. Non-tournament stages in Melee are fun to fool around with. The ones in Smash 4 are so focused on gimmicks that they become frustrating to play on. Stage bosses was an awful idea made worse by the 2 minute online mode the developers restricted themselves to.
>>
>>389758109
I'm just going to assume he's wrong because he's posting on twitter.
>>
>>389763780
I hate this shit so much. Everyone is just looking to have fun and this one guy just has to bitch about it. And when he doesn't win, he'll whine and complain about something not being fair, nearly on the verge of tears.

I swear, I've seen at least ten different guys exactly like that at all of the different get-togethers I've been to.

I go to a local sci-fi convention every year and they have a TV with Smash Bros set up for people to casually play between events, and every year this fat guy sits there all day long, going all-out on literal children and chuckling to himself about "bad D.I." and other shit. It's disgusting.
>>
>>389765232
>this smash bros is comparable to chess

Smashfags everyone.
>>
>>389765501
>Those mechanics are functionally the same for every character.

They're not. Getting a beam sword as Pikachu is significantly more impactful than getting a beam sword as Marth.
>>
File: 1470150564196.jpg (407KB, 869x873px) Image search: [Google]
1470150564196.jpg
407KB, 869x873px
I believe a big reason as to why competitive melee is so big is because of the movement system and what you can do to go beyond what was "intended." The focus is how well you can move around your opponent to get the kills without a bunch of cheap distractions such as a random stage hazard that will instakill if it touches you or an item that drops down and gives the losing player a sudden advantage even though he was clearly losing in just a skill match.
If all of that stuff was forced into every game, melee probably would've died a long time ago without even knowing about how the physics engine can work.
Thread posts: 62
Thread images: 8

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.