[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Dynamic difficulty

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 1

File: 1die.jpg (38KB, 476x220px) Image search: [Google]
1die.jpg
38KB, 476x220px
What are your thoughts on it /v/? Do you like a game changing itself to suit your skill level or do you prefer a consistent experience?
>>
I think it is pretty cool to be honest. I enjoy how the difficulty scales with my ability. I think it creates a more consistent experience in a manner, rather than getting to a point where my skill level outclasses the game.

Take The Witcher 3 for instance. It was far harder at the beginning of the game due to poor equipment, lack of potions and mutagens, and unfamiliarity with the gameplay. Fast forward a few hours and one Witcher set later, the game is already too easy.
>>
I never got very far in God Hand.

I was good enough in the early levels to make that meter go up, but as soon as the demons spawned I got completely fucked over.
I might be better at it now that I have gotten some years of platinum games under my belt, but I'm not shying away from how shit I was at it when I played it.

Answering your question: I think I prefer locked difficulties, but I love when games suggest you play on a harder difficulty after a couple of levels on normal. That shit makes me confident as hell.
>>
>>389752390
its a really neat idea, but i'd rather have a consistent experience. at the very least let the player set how low skill difficulty goes. i felt that the difficulty at lv3 in god hand made perfect "normal mode" difficulty.
>>
I remember as a kid the reason I jizzed all over Max Payne before it came out, aside from Bullet Time, was that it was advertised as having scaling difficulty. If you were doing well, it would do better. I'm not even sure if that's true, I never noticed, but I like the idea.

What I DON'T like is bullshit scaling. Enemies straight up leveling with you is dumb. It's preposterous to for example walk down the street in Skyrim and see bandits outfitted in endgame equipment jjst because you're a higher level. There should be a balance. Better AI that approaches your skill, without simply trying to drown you with bigger numbers.
>>
depends. Games need a sense of progression. If that's power level, if you scale everything up then it stops being progression.
Proper "scaling" is offering new types of enemies to test against your new items and abilities. Off the top of my head, i can think of metroid prime (or most metroid games), they start to throw tough enemies at you at some point and then you get an item that makes them easier if you use that item.
In that regard, there should never be linear difficulty scaling, it should be a series of humps you have to get over
>>
>>389753063
It is true. When you're doing really poorly enemies get slightly less accurate and vie versa when doing well. I think it will also stop re spawning enemies if you die and load too many times.
>>
>>389753063
It's definitly true, by the time I got to the Ship there were assholes with M4s that kill me in 2 shots, it was bullshit.
>>
I like it, as long as the game is telling me its doing it. I want to know if I'm gitting gud or of I'm being given a free pass because I suck ass, I don't want the game lying to me like RE4 does.
>>
>>389752390
I think it can be awesome if enough time and effort is put into polishing it. Look at rank management in Battle Garegga, for example, which nicely counterbalances scoring to force the player to carefully manage their actions and make meaningful decisions throughout their playthrough.
>>
>>389752390

Scaling difficulty should be an invisible thing that makes the game feel better when done right.

That is it's an impossible ideal that most developers fuck right up.
>>
Don't advertise when your game has it.
Resident Evil 4 had a dynamic difficulty, they never mentioned it in any interview or advertisement.
The dynamic difficulty in the game isn't caught by a lot of people, and some consider it to have "perfect difficulty"
>>
>>389753063
this right here.
It is always satisfying to run through an area with enemies that used to give you trouble and then beat the shit out of them.
Scaling makes your progression feel pointless.
>>
>play god hand
>do well
>get to level die
>die in 3 seconds because the enemies have stopped fucking around
>get knocked back down to level 2

BRAVO MIKAMI
>>
>>389753063
Dynamic difficutlies have been in games for a while. I know Crash 2 has it, as does Ratchet n Clank and RE4.

In Crash if you die too many times on a level the game will give you more checkpoint crates.
>>
>>389753586
Then play Easy you casual
>>
It's cool when done well, but it's hard to do well. RE4 comes to mind as a game that does a really good job at implementing dynamic difficulty.
>>
>>389753696
why should I when I enjoy level 3 and the game will knock me down to an effectively easy mode when I die anyway?
>>
>>389753816
because you're not skilled enough to fight with the big boys
>>
>>389753816
>not begging for mercy when you feel the heat

Real talk though, the grovel move makes the game easier again without you needing to lose health.
>>
>>389753991
the point of normal mode is it allows me to try

a poor player will likely stay within the limits of easy mode anyway while a slightly better one will hover around level 2-3 most of the game
>>
>>389754337
and those slightly better players should understand that they need to become even better to overcome the adversity of level die, not complain on weeb image boards like little bitches
>>
Good: obvious, part of the game.

Bad: hidden, discovered after the fact.

Replaying RE4 I will intentionally kill myself at certain points just to restock on ammo.
>>
>>389754518
my first post was never about how hard level die was, it was about how harsh the meter penalty was for dying with it, like the game never game me a chance to try
>>
>>389754907
I'd assume most people who are more skilled at video games have a greater tolerance for punishment, so having to build up more levels is less of a big deal for them since they're already good enough at the game that getting to level 3 isn't that difficult
>>
>>389752390
I like it in God Hand because the higher difficulty feels like a reward and the lower difficulty feels like a punishment, but outside of that, I don't like feeling like the game is going easy on me because I'm not doing well, I like to overcome the challenge myself.
Thread posts: 26
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.