[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 417
Thread images: 49

File: 343_Industries_logo.svg.png (24KB, 1200x437px) Image search: [Google]
343_Industries_logo.svg.png
24KB, 1200x437px
What was their problem?
>>
No idea how to make a real Halo game.
>>
>>389750648
>get the rights to make more Halo games
>make cawadooty with a Halo skin instead

t-thanks
>>
Whats your problem?
>>
What was my problem?
>>
>>389750648
Arrogant shits
>>
Their senior members doesn't have enough balls to take risk that would make ms marketing people mad.
>>
>>389750648
NO
DISCERNIBLE
TALENT
>>
>>389750648
They started making COD with a halo skin on top instead of making Halo.

Combine that with the fact that they also used the retarded book lore instead of writing something to fit the games and you have a 1-2 punch of mediocrity that can lay down even the mightiest franchise.

It's what happened to ME as well.
>>
>implying Halo 6 won't be the best halo game

they've learned their lesson
>>
>>389751146
>Implying they can still make a Halo game when they didn't know how to make one to begin with.
>>
untalented hacks who are the iron lung keeping the corpse of a beloved franchise alive
>>
>>389751146
>they've learned their lesson
A majority of the employees left after Halo 5, they haven't learned shit because everyone is new again
>>
>>389751146
Halo 5 multiplayer was garbage unlike hivemind they are trying to shill. Its literally Call of Duty with halo skinpack.

They have to remove Sprint(or make it cool down based very long cool down), think like escape mechanic not rushdown.

They have to remove aim down sights.
they have to make it bigger , halo is not arena combat game.

also these are basic gameplay features dont get me even started on microtransactions and shit.
>>
>>389751083
Absolutely this. They ran to the wrong audience.
>>
>all the good halo devs leave Bungie for 343
>now they've all left 343

Where did they all go?
>>
>>389751526
Those morons at 343 are either too spineless or too moronic to realize the reason why 3 and Reach remained fun games to play in the COD era was the fact that they were not COD to begin with.

Even if you could see the ghost of corporate motherfuckery going "Be like COD" over the shoulder of the programmers with shit like loadouts on Reach, but it was still very much a Halo game.
>>
>>389750648
>Already can't make Halo work to save their lives

>Actually manage to create two compelling villains over the course of Halo 4.

>Kill the Didact off in a comic before Halo 5.
>Kill Jul Mdama off in the first mission of Halo 5, LONG before even meeting the Arbiter.
>>
>>389751687
>all the good halo devs leave Bungie for 343

But O'Connor and a bunch of code monkeys are still at 343.
>>
>>389750648
I distinctly remember being disappointed that we found out the Master Chief is alive in the legendary ending of Halo 3 for 2 reasons:

One being M$ not having the balls to actually kill him and second I knew that this would happen. Halo would be given to a shitty studio and be run to the ground until it's a shell of it's former self and it doesn't sell anymore.
>>
>>389751146
I wouldn't call Halo 6 the best but I do expect it to be 343's first truly good Halo game.
>>
>>389751397
Halo 5 wasn't the first game with sprint
>>
>>389752351
No shit.
>>
343 is what happens when you hire people that aren't interested in a series, and people who claim to be fans of a series, to make games in that series. Fans are generally awful at contributing something to what they like, because they don't even understand the core appeal of it.
>>
>>389750648
Too much creative freedom with the gameplay and lore.
>>
>>389751397
>halo is not arena combat game.
It always has been. Until 4, BTB maps have always been the minority in favor of smaller 4v4/2v2 maps.
>>
>>389752629
Fucking this. I cringed when the guys making Sly Cooper 4 revealed themselves to be a team entirely of fans of the series. And sure enough they fucked it up.
>>
>>389750648
They off building off the piece of shit that is Reach and ruining Halo 4's multiplayer by turning it into COD. With Halo 5 they decided to pull a Bungie and sideline their main character in a MAINLINE GAME. You just don't fucking do that. Nintendo seems to understand how you expand your universe and go beyond the main character the right way. 2D Metroid is the main series and those games will stick with Samus Aran as the main character and push the Chozo. The Prime series is the spin off series that will eventually move on from Samus. If Halo makes it where the spin off games focus on other characters across the universe while the mainline Halo games only focus on the Chief, then the series wouldn't get backlash. You don't replace your main character.
>>
>>389752883
Most fans simply don't understand or respect the core values. They don't understand it and try to turn it into something they want, instead of developing what it really is.
>>
>>389751397
>Halo 5 mp was garbage

Wrong.
>>
>>389752917
*started
>>
How is Halo 5's BTB and vehicle combat? That was always the highlight of the series for me.
>>
I think their biggest issue is just the fact that they can't figure out a single section of the fanbase to listen to and stick to it.

CE, 2, 3, ODST, and Reach were all pretty different in a lot of respects, and everybody has their own idea of what makes Halo Halo, so every time 343 tries to do something, they piss off at least like 60% of the fanbase in the process, so then they try to do something different even if they did that thing right or had the right idea but just needed to execute it on it better.

In short, even though 343 themselves fuck up a lot, because people whine about absolutely everything they do even when they do well, 343 doesn't know what to actually fix.

>>389751929
This anon gets it. Jul was an interesting character with a lot of potential, and while 4's story was garbage, the didact was done well. But because people were giant babies and whined about the travis books and spartan ops and shit they killed jul and the didact off. Likewise, nobody bitches about how bad Jul's death was, but instead whine about the rookie's death, which is a non-issue in the grand scheme of things by comparsion.

>>389751397
You don't know what you are talking about, It's less like CoD then 4 and Reach were

>hey have to remove Sprint(or make it cool down based very long cool down), think like escape mechanic not rushdown.
It was escape based in Reahc and 4 and people hated it

>They have to remove aim down sights
There's not aim down sights, smart link in 5 works exactly like zoom did: it doesn't slow your movement speed, you don't need it to shoot accurately, and you can get knocked out of it by damage. Past halo games have had zoom increase accuracy as well, webm related

>they have to make it bigger , halo is not arena combat game.
5's map design is the closest the series has been to CE/2 style maps since Halo 3, arguably even 2 itself. Warzone exists for large scale combat.
>>
>>389753009
Fuck off 343 shill
>Fuck off 343 shill
Fuck off 343 shill
>Fuck off 343 shill

Halo 5 MP is objectively bad. There is no discussion around this, it is a fact.
It comes nowhere close to
>>
>>389751146
The newest Halo is always the most game ever.
>>
>>389753010
Don't correct yourself when it's fucking obvious. We're not retarded.
>>
>>389752917
Halo 2 had the arbiter and that was great, the problem is that Locke is jus boring.

>>389753053
Instead of focusing on BTB maps H5 focused more on Warzone, which is a 12 vs 12 mode sort of like invasion on hugeass maps that also has AI enemies in it. It's pretty fun, but I do wish that there was a focus on BTB as well.

The game has BTB playlists, but they all use forge maps. Which normally wouldn't be a problem since 5's forge is basically a dev tool at this point with the shit it can do, but the map layouts themselves aren't that amazing.
>>
>>389752629
Thats honestly debatable with 343 though, since I hear some people involved with Halo are unfamiliar with it.
>>
>>389753219
>wah it's shit because I said so

Not even him, but you outright just spouted a bunch of objectively incorrect bullshit in >>389751397
>>
My biggest thing is what they did to the designs. You have this realistic yet colourful style with bulky army guys and really unique looking aliens, and you decide to make it grimdark with some sort of weird cartoon overtone.
>>
>>389753128
They would do the series a favor by saying all of the books aren't canon, and not writing any more books. It will never happen because Microsoft is very greedy and self-destructive when it comes to Halo.

>>389753453
Meaning those people aren't invested in Halo at all. They get paid, and stay payed if they don't argue. Not that they would have a reason to argue about something they don't know all that well anyway.
>>
>>389753476
That's not me newfag and it's literally a fact. Halo 5 is a bad Halo game.
>>
>>389753545
Now where have I seen that happen again? *Cough* Gears of War 4 *Cough*
>>
Sums up everything.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6qfx9eoB-88
>>
>>389752802
It may really be that simple...
>>
>>389753397
It's a shame they don't have maps designed specifically for BTB, but Warzone sounds interesting. I enjoyed Invasion quite a bit in Reach, but it always felt a bit lacking.
>>
>>389753476
Nobody wants 343 Halo
>>
>>389753639
>gritty horror esque style
>make it into meme quip characters in a vibrant landscape
>>
>>389751083
>>389751526
>>389751885
>Combine that with the fact that they also used the retarded book lore instead of writing something to fit the games

This is objectively wrong though, both 4 and 5 explain more about the shit in their plots in game then 2, 3, or especially CE ever did. Granted, 4 and 5's plots are both shit, but EU/book reliance isn't the issue.
>>
File: IMG_8828.gif (745KB, 382x450px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_8828.gif
745KB, 382x450px
My opinion is to let it die. Like the simpsons, it simply ran its course. It will always be remembered as a great series that was a big part of many people's gaming lives, and now it's dead. It's sad to see it zombified instead of fading with the dignity it deserved.
>>
>>389753572
The books are great though, and have way better writing then anything in o4 5, why the fuck would you want that?
>>
>>389753945
>explaining everything=good
That's now how a good story works. Engaging and interesting material with mystery is far better than pages and pages of boring lore that's ultimately dissapointing and leaves nothing to your imagination
>>
>>389753053
It's 'okay'. Honestly expected it to be worse since thrusters would obviously make vehicles free hijacks, but it's average. Vehicles suck ass in Slayer though.

Also some of the maps are downright shit, but we've had worse in Reach and Halo 4.
>>
>>389754013
5 has some of the best MP in the series though

>>389753693
>look mom I posted tha super cherrypicked video again!

I could easily make the same thing, but making bungie look bad and 343 look good.

343 has fucked up a lot, I don't see why it's so hard for people to just point out what they fucked up, but also praise them when they do shit right; vs everybody needing to make it out like every single thing 343 has done is bad
>>
>>389753945
>"M-my books are good!"
>Doesn't even go into the gameplay critiques
Yeah, sure thing Mr. """""""""Objectively"""""""
>>
>>389753848
Why do people like quippy characters so much? You can make fun characters without doing the overdone Whedon writing.
>>
>>389754204
>5 has some of the best MP in the series though
Idiots keep saying this but nobody wants to play it because it isn't what people want from Halo
>>
>>389754204
The whole halo 5 MP thing is pure opinion. We both like halo gameplay, but you happen to like halo 5 gameplay, which I hardly think resembles halo.
>>
>>389754204
Every single thing that 343 has done isn't bad, but it is mediocre. And that is the point.

Keep mistaking it for Le Meme Contrarian Hatred, not like it's that hard in this fucking place to begin with.
>>
>>389750847
>Halo skin

It doesn't even have that. Shit barely looks like Halo
>>
>>389754329
Makes the script seems clever without having to make actual characters who are funny in a natural way, which is much more difficult
>>
>>389753945
>This is objectively wrong though, both 4 and 5 explain more about the shit in their plots in game then 2, 3, or especially CE ever did. Granted, 4 and 5's plots are both shit, but book reliance isn't the issue.
No, that's exactly why they're shit lmao.
Too much exposition is a bad thing.
There is no more mystery to Halo which is why it was so loved in the first place.
What the fuck are these huge fucking rings. Who made them? When? Where? Why? What is the flood? Where did they originate? What were the motivations of the forerunners who created these structures? What were their politics like? Arby would look cute as fuck in samurai robes ~<3? What were their motivations?

All these are questions which SHOULDN'T have been answered.
When you make the player an omnipresent God which knows everything fucking detail of the world without trying, you've failed in storytelling.
>This is objectively wrong though, both 4 and 5 explain more about the shit in their plots in game then 2, 3, or especially CE ever did. Granted, 4 and 5's plots are both shit, but EU/book reliance isn't the issue.
>>
>>389754070
Because they, like 4 and 5, reek of fanfiction from people who didn't refine their ideas or stay the suspension of disbelief that CE through Reach did. Yes, even the Joseph Staten books are unrefined, and feel more like clippings of ideas that were meshed together quickly.

I get the feeling that the people who like all the Halo books and 4 and 5, are the same kinds of people that though Brawl had a good story in the Subspace Emissary.
>>
>>389753397
>Halo 2 had the arbiter and that was great
Yeah, no, it wasn't, Arbiter's level sucked and his story dragged down the experience. No one wanted to play a space dino and deal with his alien political bullshit. Halo 2 should have been a continuation of Halo CE with Master Chief fighting the Covenant and the Flood to save Earth, humanity, and the galaxy. Arbiter should have gotten his own spin off game. Halo Reach and 5 had the same problem.
>>
>>389753945
>>389754485
I'll just grab a quote from a TV show.

"There are things out there in the universe, you're better off not knowing about."
>>
> we looked for people who didn't like halo so they could help make halo
>>
>>389754204
>5 has some of the best MP in the series though
Yeah boi I love my Breakout. It's the best shit ever!
>>
>>389754750
Having a better understanding of the Covenant's motives from a first person perspective made them much more interesting. Halo 2 worked because it had a sizable single player length. It should have been even longer. I wish 343 would forget about the vapid multiplayer nonsense, and focus more on the singleplayer.
>>
File: 1484265697035.jpg (65KB, 460x460px) Image search: [Google]
1484265697035.jpg
65KB, 460x460px
>>389754750
>Yeah, no, it wasn't, Arbiter's level sucked and his story dragged down the experience.
>>
>>389755070
It made the Covenant for the most part boring, they were more interesting as a mystery like in Halo 1. With Halo 6 and beyond 343 seems to finally understand Halo mainline = Master Chief and Forerunner, Halo spinoff = expanded universe (doesn't have to be about the Chief). Arbiter really should have got his own spinoff game not what we got. This is the Halo 2 I wanted, not the disappointment we ended up with.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9i-4foLur0g
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vFQTqzQq9xc
>>
>>389755364
See>>389755512
What Halo 2 could have been if it wasn't so damn focused on character driven garbage. There's a reason all the Halo 2, Reach, and Halo 5's campaigns all sucked. At least 343 finally understands that main series equals Master Chief, spin-off = other characters
>>
>>389755682
Only downfall Halo 2 campaign had for me was I found the combat system deviation from halo 1 made it inferior. Story wise it was great
>>
>>389755682
Halo 2 could've been a scripted Mac game demo?
>>
>>389755764
But when the story distracts from good gameplay and level design, then I rather the story be shit if a good story makes everything else shit.
>>
>>389754485
Half of what you said are already explained in Halo 3
>>
>>389755915
>But when the story distracts from good gameplay and level design
Which it didn't
>>
>>389755864
Halo 2 could have been an actual sequel to Halo 1's campaign. The only time that campaign felt like a Halo campaign is when you played the Master Chief, it took a nosedive in quality as soon as Arbiter took over.
>>
>>389756020
But it does, most of Chief's missions are good, while all of the Arbiter's missions are shit.
>>
Calling it now. New Halo will be non numerical. Just called H A L O

4 + 5 ruined the 'series' appeal
>>
>>389755957
Yeah but not in the great detail that games like Halo 4 and 5 go into.

I was phoneposting so I really didn't want to type more,

There is nothing wrong with exposition. For example, the Ark was an exposition of "How are the rings made?" and the ark was fucking sick.
But meticulously telling the player of every single detail leaves nothing to the imagination. The forerunners are all in the open. The covenant and its motivations. Hidden motivations of the UNSC.
There literally is no mystery in Halo anymore.
>>
>>389756039
Not really, no. Uprising is one of the best campaign levels of the franchise, and The Great Journey is up there as well.
The Index stuff is pretty mediocre, I'll give you that.
>>
>>389754013
Amen, Reach was a good send off by going back to the beginning and everything afterwards is junk.
>>
>>389754386
Except Halo 5 having good multiplayer is a opinio that consistently shows up in these threads.

>>389754750
t. cheeffag

>>389754485
>>389754802
>>389754123
>FUCKING BULLSHIT YOU NEED TO READ THE BOOKS TO UNDERSTAND 3 AND 5
>actually you don't
>N-NO I MEANT THEY EXPLAINED TO MUCH AND MADE IT TOO STRAIGHTFOWARD TO UNDERSTAND

You guys contradicting yoursleves aside, I agree that having a sense of mystery is a good thing, but 4 does that with it's envoirments in the same way CE did, and nothing that Halo 4 or 5 explains benefits from being a mystery the same way the OT stuff was.

Who the forerunners were and what happened to them was explained already in CE-3. Same for the purpose of the megasturcutrs like the shield worlds and Halo rings. Giving the didact a motivation and backstory and explaining where the promethians came from and so on isn't "ruining the mystery", it's just giving fucking context.
>>
>>389756102
And that has absoultely nothing to do with narrative or the arbiter as a character, and everything to do with level design.

In fact, the arbiter's missions have the exact same flaws almost every mission in CE did
>>
Halo 5 should have been a split campaign between the Chief and Arbiter again.
That way you get a greater gameplay variance between levels. Plus, playable Elites would be fun.
>>
>>389756450
>Except Halo 5 having good multiplayer is a opinio that consistently shows up in these threads

Probably because you're always posting it.
>>
Bring back flood.

Get rid of sprint or have huge cooldown

Pay a writer big bucks to save story

No microtranactions. I would rather buy maps if they need cash so bad.

Split screen
>>
>>389756616
Not just him, dude.
Halo 5's multiplayer has both the best weapon balance and the best Forge mode.
Armor Abilities add to the game without ruining the flow like in Reach.
I'm not a fan of the armor's visual design but the sound design is fucking great. The Assault Rifle sounds the best since CE.
>>
>>389756450
>t. cheeffag
We're the ones saving the series because the dumbass developers are too afraid to take risk and shove these nobodies in a spin-off game.

>>389756270
Nah, that level was shit. Halo 1 and 3 levels shit on that. Hell, Halo 2's Delta Halo shits on that level.

>>389756548
Arbiter levels are somehow worse than the worst levels of CE.
>>
>>389756618

this is

how you do it

on Leddit

This is
how you do it
on 4chan
>>
Millennials and the new culture of tech companies (ie google).
Bungie had older employees that we're more creative with developing technology.
>>
>>389756812
Halo 3's campaign had two good levels: The Ark and the Covenant. Everything else doesn't even rate.
3 got lucky in that those two levels are literally the best in the franchise and practically encapsulate all its various facets of gameplay.
>>
>>389756801
and that's horseshit. I've been to enough of these threads to know that meme.
>>
>>389756902
Report it to the mods cuck boi

I type

How i want
>>
>>389756812
Two Betrayals and Keyes are absolutely worse than anything Halo 2 had, even Gravemind and The Library.
>>
>>389756618
>Bring back flood
As long as it works with the story

>Get rid of sprint or have huge cooldown
Yes please. And drop Spartan Abilities all together

>Pay a writer big bucks to save story
I would honestly be fine with a retcon of Halo 5 and the Escalation comics

>No microtranactions. I would rather buy maps if they need cash so bad.
Same. $10 every few months for developer made maps is better than screwing up the whole unlock system

>Split screen
Already confirmed

I would like to add please go back to the old art style. And please bring back the Halo 3 Ranking system. I don't know what this Starcraft shit is but it's fucking gay. Why the hell does my rank keep resetting? Where's the real progression?
>>
>>389757091
You've been to enough threads to get BTFO and be salty about it, you mean. I've been in a lot of Halo threads and there's never decent arguments for why 5's multiplayer is so shit. It's just, "MUH CoD"
>>
>>389757135
You type how the upvote machine commands you to type.
>>
>>389752321
I really liked the idea of Chief frozen in space, awaiting a day years in the future when he is finally found. I just think that either that day should never have come in game or when Chief is finally awoken it's a very different kind of Halo experience (Chief stranded on same alien world with no Cortana in a fashion similar to Metroid?). Reusing Chief forever is bad though.
>>
nothing.
5 Is the only good Halo. Bungie was/is held down horribly by their delusions and humongous ego. They think they are huge visionaries for inventing a subpar Arena shooter so slow it was easy for casuals and worked on console.
Forge in 5 alone is greater than the MP in 1-4/reach.
>>
Honestly, I'm kinda done with Halo. I'm waiting for Valve to make either Half Life 3 or Left 4 Dead 3, I'm waiting for Bungie to make their Marathon reboot, Can't wait to see D44M II, Halo's specialty has always been its vehicles, other than that, its just slowed down Unreal.
>>
the multiplayer was actually pretty decent in terms of gameplay

the issue is it launched with fuck all in terms of maps and gametypes. Maps added in were shitty ass forge maps. firefight landed and you spent more time waiting for respawns and fighting bullet sponges. The worst part is that all the cool stuff was locked behind REQ packs so no one even played FF for fun. Just for credits.

It was decent. Nice of them to add all that post game content for free. The REQ shit killed it for me though.
>>
>>389757410
I do agree that halo 5 gets more hate than i deserves. One thing they nailed is the cool weapon variations. But the story was bloody awful. Halo 1-3 felt like a huge space epic. 4-5 bored the hell out of me.
>>
>>389757491
>marathon reboot
>implying the ADHD riddled modern bungie fanbase can read terminals
>>
>>389757583
Ill agree the campaign is not as good. But lets alsonot pretend the campaihn was anything special. A regen based cover FPS!? WOW! its a drunken coop with friends at best.
>>
File: 1489775050329.gif (2MB, 350x196px) Image search: [Google]
1489775050329.gif
2MB, 350x196px
>>389757143
>mfw I loved both
>>
>>389757071
Halo 3 had one bad level, Cortana, the rest was good.

>>389757143
Two Betrayals was amazing, you're right about Keyes, and Gravemind was a kickass mission in Halo 2. Maybe you should bring up Halo 2's bad missions which are any Arbiter missions instead of the good missions which were the Chief missions.
>>
>>389756902
Kill

yourself

retard
>>
Bungie was on the hook for 3 games with MS after inking the contract. The first of these was Halo 3. They made an amazing game and neatly packed up the story by effectively killing the chief (cryo coma). The next 2 games were ODST and Reach, both of which didn't touch the chief with a ten foot pole. Bungie understood that that story was over, and tried to do other things with the story while still attempting to keep the multiplayer fresh.

Bungie didn't rez the chief for the other 2 games they were on contract for because they understood it didnt make sense--it was stupid. The first thing 343 does, the first fucking thing, is to bring back the chief.

The halo we all love and remember is simply from a time gone by before mtx, never to be seen again unfortunately. Case and point, Bungie with the shaders in D2.
>>
>>389757882
After what i have seen from Destiny and Destiny 2, no thank. Bungie can fuck off with thier garbage and 343 keep Halo.
>>
File: nkYBB536.jpg (55KB, 512x512px) Image search: [Google]
nkYBB536.jpg
55KB, 512x512px
/ourguy/
>>
>>389757882
Bungie understood jack shit. Bungie should have been up front with Reach at E3 2009 and revealed Noble Team but nope, they kept them a secret making everyone believe it was Master Chief and Blue Team. To make matters worse instead of making this game some random spin-off and shoving in who knows where in the timeline, they tried to make this piece of shit a prequel to the Chief's adventures. Nah Bungie can fuck right off and 343 did good bringing Chief back since the series was on its death bed before the Chief made his huge comeback to reclaim his series from the garbage that was Reach.
>>
File: maxresdefault.jpg (69KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
69KB, 1280x720px
>>389758001
This

>>389758257
Forgot the image
>>
>>389753009
cool , explain me then why nobody plays it.
>>
>>389758634
Because if they want what's in Halo 5 then they can play 2 or 3 other games that do enhanced mobility much better. I'll stick to the broken MCC over 5.
>>
>>389754204
>5 has best mp

boy yey i love some call of duty.

If i wanted space call of duty , i would play cod
i
>>
>>389758001
Whats wrong with Destiny, I only played D2's beta and thought it was bland but solid.
>>
>>389758257
I don't know how you can say that when the series has been on life support for years. 343 brought back the chief because they weren't creative enough to conceive of a narrative without him, and proceeded to use him as a crutch. Unnecessary sexualization of Cortana aside, they basically used the chief as a tool to ham fist some horseshit story together. Not only that, the writing is actually abysmal. When you have your protagonist narrating things as he does them, its basically a write off. The first thing they teach you in creative writing is "show don't tell". Aside from team warzone the multiplayer is also uninspired, cod influenced drivel.

There's no accounting for taste, but 343s poor handling of the IP is pretty well agreed upon
>>
File: 2343465477.png (255KB, 1386x792px) Image search: [Google]
2343465477.png
255KB, 1386x792px
>>389758940
tldr, things that were infinite use in D1 are now one time use in D2, encouraging mtx
>>
>>389751687
They didn't even join 343i. Out of a few hunded they've had somewhere in the region of 4-7 ex-Bungie people staffed there in all the years they've been running, not counting Joe Staten who is more of a general freelancer doing whatever he wants within the Microsoft family including voicing Grunts since Bungie fucked him over.
>>
>>389750648
Halo 4
>>
>>389759356
Luke Smith used to be so based back in the 1UP days, the fuck happened to him? Did living in cukland central turn him into a huge bitch?
>>
>>389759089
They brought back Chief because garbage like Halo Reach was killing the series. Bungie had a habit of to the public's faces when it came down to Halo because they were too afraid to take risks and make a spin-off game starring other characters. They would lie through their teeth to make you believe you would be playing Chief the entire game but then when you find out you feel like you've been cheated because the developers are assholes. 343 pulled the same shit with Halo 5 and got the same backlash Bungie received with Halo 2 and Reach. Chief is there to always save the series after Bungie and 343 fucks it up with their OC donut steels. If Metroid can handle side characters right, then why the hell can't Halo do he same and shove these faggots in their own game instead of stealing Chief's spotlight?
>>
>>389750648
Still making Halo games. We finished the fight in 3, and got a nice little farewell from Bungie in Reach.
>>
>>389759836
*lying
>>
>>389759890
>finished the fight in 3
What was that thing in the ending then?
>>
>>389760187
Chief being permanently taken out of the game world.
He's floating in deep space in cryo-sleep. He's unable to ever interact with people again.
>>
>>389759836
I don't remember the build up to ODST or Reach, but I don't think anyone purchased those games thinking they would play the whole thing as the chief. It wasnt a MGS2 situation, and if anyone deluded themselves into thinking that then IDK what you can do for someone like that.

The Chief was successful because he was a walking fucking self insert. He barely spoke, didnt emote, and anyone could be in there underneath that armor. ODST was a pretty cool little narrative trip and Reach was... interesting. But 4 and 5 were fucking messes not just narratively, but stylistically as stories as well. ffs, they show you the chief's face at the end of 4? Like, idk what to even do with that.

Killing off the chief was a smart move and it was an easy move because if you really think about it, those games were never really about the chief at all. It's also what made it so easy for 343 to lazily bring him back. If you don't understand that Im not sure you understand the narrative appeal of halo.
>>
Halo was a franchise born out of strict limitations and a need to innovate. A small team was given the task of making a PC-tier shooter game without anywhere near the tech power of a PC or the precision controls of a keyboard and mouse. So every aspect of Halo: CE was a work around, designed to create something that could work with the limitations of the Xbox. The result was a truly unique game that didn't feel like anything else released in its time.

But the 343 Halo games weren't released in that time. They were released in a time when consoles are almost equal to PCs in terms of power, when a controller can be almost as precise as a keyboard and mouse, and when the top shooter games are all on both PC and consoles. They had no need to innovate with their games, and they simply didn't. They just copied what every other shooter out there was doing, and the result was still a success, so they did it again.
>>
>>389760630
With ODST, not many people gave a fuck, with Reach people thought Noble Team was Chief and Blue Team until the VGA of 2009. After that, things for Reach began to go slowly downhill. Halo 4, for the most part, had a decent campaign, Halo 5 is where they started fucking by repeating Halo 2 and Reach and expecting it to be good.
>Killing off the chief was a smart move and it was an easy move because if you really think about it, those games were never really about the chief at all
Master Chief is iconic and the face of the series and Xbox, come on man, even Microsoft knows if Chief goes that's the end of the Xbox and Halo, don't be stupid. Fans don't go out buying games not starring the Chief. Some will buy these games but if the main fanbase learns that Chief is dead and never coming back, say goodbye to the Halo series.
>>
>>389760657
The original Xbox came out in a time when consoles could actually match or exceed PCs of the same era.
>>
>>389761091
>if the main fanbase learns that Chief is dead and never coming back, say goodbye to the Halo series.

That's all I've ever wanted since the end of Halo 3. The Halo series WILL die, but it's passed the point of being able to do so gracefully. It's just a cash cow now, toiling for the wind.
>>
>>389756450
>Except Halo 5 having good multiplayer is a opinio that consistently shows up in these threads.
Most people don't think this given that Halo 5 sold like shit
>>
>>389761523
Why the flying fuck are you playing Halo then?
>>
>>389750648
They went full George Lucas. Wanting to expand the lore and making everything tie up to books because muh money but forgot what halo was truly about.
>>
>>389761661
I'm not the other guy you were responding to. >>389761523 is just my opinion.
>>
File: 1501096016387.jpg (209KB, 700x699px) Image search: [Google]
1501096016387.jpg
209KB, 700x699px
Halo 2 story:
>The cable I'm going to cut it
>I am a monument to all your sins
>Only blood will pay for this
What's not to get?
>>
>>389750648
Their problem in Halo 4 was trying to build off of Bungie last turd, Halo Reach multiplayer.

Their problem in Halo 5 was Microsoft and Marketing teams having to much of a say.

the CGI in Halo 4 was beautiful, the game was beautiful for being on the Xbox 360. Music was good and loved the acknowledgement of the books and clear advancement of humanity. i thoroughly enjoyed the campaign.

Halo 5 the campaign was decent, it was clear there were overlapping design decisions in how the story would be delivered. But good with the understanding that the story would have always been a setup for halo 6. The Multiplayer is some of the best the Halo franchise has ever seen.

the studio clearly has the ability to make great halo games. tho i think the fan base has a hard time admitting that since there is a split between bungiefans and halofans. bungiefans should go play that wonderful master piece Destiny if they want to see the pinnacle of their ability.... halo was an accident.
>>
>>389761439
I don't know about that, but Halo CE was still technologically inferior to the PC shooters of its time. But again, that's not a bad thing. It just made Bungie come up with creative work arounds.
>>
File: 1440106406325.jpg (109KB, 1024x569px) Image search: [Google]
1440106406325.jpg
109KB, 1024x569px
>>389763189
>halo 4 and 5 campaign were good
>>
>>389763189
>the studio clearly has the ability to make great halo games. tho i think the fan base has a hard time admitting that since there is a split between bungiefans and halofans. bungiefans should go play that wonderful master piece Destiny if they want to see the pinnacle of their ability.... halo was an accident.
This
>>
File: 1500802300819.jpg (137KB, 640x352px) Image search: [Google]
1500802300819.jpg
137KB, 640x352px
>>389763189
>Halo 4 and 5
>343
Never go SG-1 Ori saga
Never turn a military sci fi into a fantasy sci fi
>literally magical powers in halo now
>>
>>389761091
But they did buy games not starring the Chief, ODST and Reach both sold well. If MS wants to literally put all their eggs in one basket and design their long term playbook around it, I can't stop them. But don't get sad when people point out that you've made your primary mascot an emotionless suit of armor that you're all of the sudden pretending has more beneath the surface. He doesn't and he never did. I didnt buy a 360 because I thought the master chief was cool, I bought it because Halo 3 looked sick. Cool space story, awesome multiplayer, fun with my friends.

Maybe MS and 343 have metrics or survey data that implies other things, things that they have been catering to over the years. What is Master Chief? A rip off of demolition man? A name that abbreviates to MC (main character)? Master Chief is nothing, and yet somehow everything according to some. He's a design choice better left off the table. Rather than shackle yourself to this thing you maybe don't understand too well, 343 shou;d be exploring the universe they have at their disposal and making halo, not a reskin of cod. Instead of trying to tick all the boxes on some marketing checklist, just make something cool.

Here's one for free 343, if you're listening. That ODST arc that got filmed starring Laskey or whatever his name was? Make that a game. Make it about training and coming up in the academy and getting to fight alongside this fucking mythic god of a solider at the end. Id buy that.
>>
>>389763591
Not him but Halo always had magic, remember the Index, Bungie called it magic and then there are the Halo rings weapons, along with the floating monitors and sentinels. Also, Plasma doesn't work the way it does in Halo. Halo was always sci-fi/sci-fantasy.
>>
>>389756618
The flood were the worst part of the original trilogy, they were a stop gap enemy the devs put in when they didn't have enough time to design proper arenas to fight smart enemy AI in, so they just made braindead zombie enemies and packed them into narrow corridors.
Yes, sprint has no place in a Halo game, it completely messes with game flow.
No one can save the story now. The story was already ruined the moment they decided to continue after Halo 3's perfect ending.
Definitely no microtransactions, that's something everyone can agree on.
Definitey add split screen bac in, that's something everyone can agree on.
>>
>>389751146
>halo 4
>MCC
>halo 5
they will l learn.... r-right?!
>>
>>389764201
ODST didn't sell as well as a usual Halo game and Reach couldn't even come close to Halo 3's numbers and from there people gave Bungie massive backlash for the game. The Halo fanbase love Master Chief because he is their power fantasy where they can destroy aliens and save the galaxy like Samus Aran, you take that away and see just how fast Halo's going to die. After Reach, people were more interested in Master Chief's future and finally getting that Halo 3 sequel, they sure as hell wasn't asking for another Chiefless Halo game.
>>
>>389756902
This is fucking retarded. Typing all your thoughts in one large paragraph makes it unreadable. It has nothing to do with reddit you absolute spastic.
>>
>>389764681
I suspect Halo 6 will be similar to Halo 5 in terms of gameplay. They may try to do some things to appeal to classic fans. They may tweak the art style a bit and try making a more coherent story. But until they drop the ability riddled, sprint fest style of gameplay it won't matter.
>>
File: maxresdefault.jpg (319KB, 1600x1200px) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
319KB, 1600x1200px
ONLY THE STRONGEST WILL SURVIVE
>>
>>389765352
It's also suggested that they're dropping the squad gameplay as well.
>>
>>389765952
Hopefully. Not that it mattered anyway since the AI was fucking retarded
>>
>>389750648
money
>>
File: cargo-cult.jpg (58KB, 700x394px) Image search: [Google]
cargo-cult.jpg
58KB, 700x394px
>>389764404
That's not magic you moron, that's just technological advancement. And they left things vague on purpose so that we didn't fully understand them so that simple-minded fucks like yourself were tricked into believing that kind of bullshit.

It's like pic related, a bunch of tribesmen making prop planes out of straw and praying to them, because to them who had never seen an airplane that was a Godly apparition and the people inside where envoys from the Gods. They literally do that schtick with the Covenant and you somehow missed it in its entirety, good job.
>>
File: CKy9yVNVAAEdTVv.jpg (62KB, 1024x1024px) Image search: [Google]
CKy9yVNVAAEdTVv.jpg
62KB, 1024x1024px
>>389766145
>the Index isn't magic
>plasma actually works like that
>we can make space donuts that can kill all life in the galaxy
Yeah, sure
>>
>>389750841
fpbp
>>
343's problem is that they're too prideful. They don't act like they have a responsibility to respect the old Halo games or the community. Just go look at their vidocs for Halo 2 Anniversary and Halo 5, how confident they are that they're doing a good job and that what they're doing is worth while. Then compare it to Bungie's Halo vidocs, how they're much more modest and doubtful, yet they still clearly enjoy their own games.

343 will never admit that they fucked up, they never even properly apologized for the MCC.
>>
>>389766859
>Complaining about realistic physics in a universe where spaceships travel across the stars in hours when we know that shit is impossible.
I bet you think Star Trek is realistic too
>>
File: 453457.png (230KB, 290x539px) Image search: [Google]
453457.png
230KB, 290x539px
>>389766859
OVENS ARE THIS WAY COVENANT SCUM
>>
>>389767256
My post was sarcastic, the guy I'm responding to thinks all the shit in Halo 1-3 is possible in real life.
>>
I'm convinced that everyone at 343 Industries have never played a first person shooter.
>>
>>389750648
Easier to ask what isn't their problem. What about their games has actually been good? It definitely hasn't been the gameplay, the story, the music, the art design or anything else.
>>
>>389767887
They added a little line above the shield bar that depletes to tell you how soon your shield is going to recharge. That's a good mechanic.
>>
>>389763158
>tfw no forerunner tank and no forerunner ship
>tfw no more awesomeness to ensue
>>
Mfw Halo 5 is better in every way than 4
>>
>>389751146
I honestly wish I could believe that they've learned but so far 343 has done nothing to show me they have.

They took what was once a golden goose franchise for Microsoft that nearly single handedly propelled the xbox into gaming relevance and have made it second rate.
>>
>>389768063
They also added seat swapping,
>>
>>389768264
>no split screen
>microtransactions
yeah way better
>>
>>389768264
>Mfw Halo 5 is better in every way than 4
Not in the campaign department.
>>
>>389767881
What a fukin retard. 343 is made of new people and people who wanted to stay on work on Halo instead of leaving with bungie. Stop talking about what you don't know about.
>>
>>389753053
Pretty terrible.

The majority of BTB maps are just forge creations since 343 can't be bothered to actually make a map.

The vehicles were also really shit the last time I played. Way too easy to kill. It was better to just not use a vehicle in nearly every scenario since they were just death traps but maybe that's changed since then.
>>
>>389768539
>muh splitscreen

do people really care THAT much about splitscreen? Do you really want to play the game in two 540p screens at 20fps?
>>
>>389768581
Yes in the campaign department
4s levels were absolute shit with the longsword flight being the best one
5 has some of the greatest in the series
>>
>>389758826
But 5 goes back to classic halo gameplay

>>389761601
By this logic the latest COD game is the best video game of all time
>>
>>389761754
see
>>389753945
>>
>>389752986
>They don't understand it and try to turn it into something they want, instead of developing what it really is.

This also happened with their non-fan developers.
>Pre-4 hype that 343 actually bragged about hiring people that hated Halo to make it have more mainstream appeal.
>they released a Halo themed CoD game disguised as Halo 4

Really worked out for them.
>>
>>389768843
you dont understand one of the fundamental philosophies of the original halo games
>>
>>389753453
They purposely brought on people that hated Halo.

Not sure what they thought was going to happen.
>>
File: 318146696389459969.png (13KB, 112x112px) Image search: [Google]
318146696389459969.png
13KB, 112x112px
Why do people actually dislike the movement abilities in Halo 5?

The complaint with armor abilities and the shit in 4 was that it broke even starts, but that's not the case with Halo 5. What's the arguement people have for H5's gameplay "not being halo-esque"? What makes the abilities different from duel wielding or vehicle hijacking in Halo 2?

I think it works well with Halo's vertical level design. Do people actually have a reason for disliking it or is just people being assmad that it's something new
>>
>>389768843
I'm the guy he's responding too and yes I would want splitscreen regardless.

Halo 5 handled every other aspect better.
The Req pack exchange for the free dlc etc to keep the community intact is I suspect one of the reasons 5 kept a concurrent userbase, plus you get a req for doing nothing
No splitscreen though is trash
>>
>>389768264
I prefer 4 over 5 and I fucking hate 4.

>>389768313
This is a good addition. They need to do more like this. Adding to the sandbox without changing the gameplay.

I would like to see them add new environmental hazards and such.
>Low gravity areas (higher jumps)
>ice covered floors (sliding movement)
>fire hazards(possible damage or Damage Over time)
>underwater sections of maps (sluggish movement and muffled sound)

These could be great for custom games too.

You can change the game without changing its identity.
>>
>>389769310
I mainly dislike clamber because it slows down options when jumping, doing the canned animation takes time I could be using to shoot, it's why I rarely sprint
>>
Halo needs to be simpler. Only a few weapons, pretty fast movement speed. Halo:Reach unironically had the best idea for halo in retrospect.
Strip the game of armor abilities, fix the customs and add customs browser, fix bloom in dmr, add actual map suppport instead of variations of forge world, invasion + war zone hybrid, campaign boards more reflective of halo CE.

That is the perfect halo game.

The people who play halo today are the people who enjoyed the competitive sides of Halo 2/3 and not the pure enjoyment of the universe and community

Halo truly cannot compete as a pure competitive shooter, market it too saturated
>>
>>389756618
Agreed with everything here. Get rid of the other spartan abilities as well.

As for story they can get an actual good writer to try and salvage it if they want but I'd be okay with it if they just retconned a bunch of the 343 stuff and pretend it never happened. Particularly the campaign of 5 and those god awful comics.

I never thought I'd see the day where I actually wanted map packs back lord do I ever want them back. Microtransactions fucked up the entire unlock system and nearly every new map that came after 5 released was some untextured forge abomination. I'd rather pay 10 bucks every few months and get actual new maps than pay 10 bucks for maybe a new helmet that doesn't look like ass and a handful of shotguns for a multiplayer mode I don't play.
>>
Anyone in here saying 5 has the best MP wasn't alive for the glory days of Halo 2. The MLG scene was electric. Nice and bare bones game play that relied on skill, not gimmicks. There wasn't sprint, ledge grabbing, ground pound, or any of that shit. Nothing in halo 5 can compare to 4v4 lockout starting BR.
>>
>>389770047
MLG is a cancer that kills halo
>>
File: 574523342567u.jpg (28KB, 980x490px) Image search: [Google]
574523342567u.jpg
28KB, 980x490px
>Halo 6 reveal
>Halo is going back to its roots! No more sprint and iron sights!
>Instead we're adding MOBA aspects and ultimate abilities
>>
>>389768850
Halo 5 may have better level design but all of that is bogged down by:
>squad gameplay
>sidelining Chief
>non-combat missions
>weaking the player for the squad gameplay
>not fighting alongside marines
>easy difficulties
>broken boss fights
>short missions
>enemies being bullet sponges
>terrible story
>barely any good vehicle sections
>not starting or ending the game with the Chief
>pushing coop but not having lan or split screen
>bringing Cortana back from the dead right after you killed her in the last game
>getting rid of two more interesting villains for Cortana
>Osiris
>Blue Team not getting a proper introduction, not getting any characterization, we're never told when they and Chief got back together, and if they were removed from the game, nothing would change
Nah, Halo 5's campaign sucked.
>>
File: 1409784318153.jpg (115KB, 708x407px) Image search: [Google]
1409784318153.jpg
115KB, 708x407px
>>389770047
>4v4 lockout starting BR

>>389770178
MLG wasn't always the meme that it is today
>>
>>389770386
I was there through it all
Try hard MLGfags always try and ruin shit because they can't
adapt
>>
>>389759356
>you'll be swimming in them by just playing the game
>it's incentive to run more strikes and raids
>but don't look at the price tags were slapping on them

What happened to Bungie?
>>
>>389770047
They're practically identical. Halo 5 multiplayer is the spiritual successor of Halo 2's. Halo 5 has more in common than Halo 2. 2 was a ton of fun back in the day but in all hoensty it was a massive catastrophe.

>glitch heaven
>button glitches
>art direction change
>horrible campaign
>can't fucking remember any "wow" moment from the campaign like you can with 1 & 2
>maybe 3 good mp maps
>lockout, midship, headlong (albeit best maps in the series)
>introduction of BR destroyed all balance in multiplayer
>sword dominated all close range combat

It did introduce good customs though
>>
File: 1204647105_Coffee_Break.jpg (59KB, 700x560px) Image search: [Google]
1204647105_Coffee_Break.jpg
59KB, 700x560px
>tfw like all of the halo games, but also have criticisms with all of them
>tfw can't talk on the official fourms because it's filled with 12 year olds
>tfw can't talk on the halo plebbit because it's just 343i dicksucking
>tfw can't talk about Halo on /v/ because it's just a 343i hate circlejerk
>tfw can't talk about halo on teambeyond because it's just a competitive 2hardcore5u wankfest

>>389767887
>>389768063
>>389768313
Off the top of my head

Halo 4:
>The live action commercial
>The sense of atmosphere and envoirmental design in general
>The skyboxes
>The lighting and shaders, generally looks good on a technical level even if the UNSC art design is trashed
>the soundtrack, even if it's not marty level
>The Storm rifle
>having automatics be not as shit as in 2 and 3
>The redesign for the Carbine, Plasma Pistol, and Beam rifle
>The introduction of the promethians in the campaign, the didact awakening, the moment when you get out of the cave in mission 2
>Midnight as a mission
>Regicide as a game mode
>Plenty of the MP maps were decent
>The scoreboard changes

Halo 5:
>The weapon balance and sandbox in general
>The ARG
>The map design for MP going back to CE/2 style
>Warzone
>Return to even starts with weapons and powerups on map
>Thrust, slide, and hover add a ton of new skilljump options, clamber feels nice without reducing them thanks to the former two
>The Trials music
>The ambient dialog in the campaign
>Blue team/Argent moon as well as a few other missions
>Free DLC
>Pretty much fucking everything relating to forge
>Pretty much fucking everything relating to customs
>like seriously holy fuck forge and custom potential is insane
>Seat swapping
>Health visibility
>shield recharge indicator

EU stuff:
>Halo evolutions
>Bits of Legends
>Cryptum
>Primordium
>Silentium
>Half of Glasslands and Thursday War
>Broken Circle
>Last Light
>Fractures
>Smoke and Shadow
>Enovy
>Mythos
>Warfleet

There's been other recent books I haven't read that might be good as well
>>
>>389770356
>needing an introduction to Blue Team
>>
>>389770000
>>389757237
see
>>389769310
>>
>>389770718
For those who didn't read the book, yes.
>>
>>389770694
I would just go to, Halo Archive since it's not filled with any of the shitposters
>>
>>389751929
These are one of the most retarded things they did. People praise 343i for being SSOOOO MUCH BETTER at writing the story compared to Bungie, but they're just as dumb.
>>
File: IMG_20170909_150337.jpg (529KB, 780x1040px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170909_150337.jpg
529KB, 780x1040px
I can look up anything if someone wants.
>>
>>389769854
fucking
this
>>
>>389771607
Do people actually use that site though? And isn't it mostly for lorefaggotry?

>>389771469
>>389770718
>>389770356
Bullshit. Fred says that "he hasn't seen cheif this worked up since boot camp". That IS an introduction, and is completely on par with the sort of context you'd get in CE, 2, or 3, which often even explained less then that
>>
>>389769310
Halo has large TTK, movement options made escaping far too easy, thus they lowered TTK.

This turns it into CoD
>>
>>389755682
But Reach's campaign was great. It was good because it was a closed loop. We were introduced to the characters, we played through their story, and they died off one by one. It was as good of a story to take place on Reach that could have actual impact on players. If it was just blue team there wouldn't be any sort of stakes involved because they all lived on afterwards.
>>
File: regret.png (288KB, 411x520px) Image search: [Google]
regret.png
288KB, 411x520px
>>389771970
>Halo Mythos
>Microsoft Studios
>343 Industries

HERESY
>>
>>389772539
5's TTK is still pretty long compared to pretty much every shooter though. I also don't buy that escaping is too easy in 5, since sprint prevents shield regen and weapons are more accurate then ever.

If somebody tries to run away in 5, and you either let them get away or can't pick them off, then you were shit enough to deserve losing the kill
>>
>>389772676
Mythos is great though you cuck, all of the halo books since 2015 or so have been, actually
>>
>>389772626
There's a bandwagon to hate the halo reach campaign and it never made sense to me.. it's also usually the people who love ODST.
>>
>>389772528
>Fred says that "he hasn't seen cheif this worked up since boot camp".
Do they explain how they could have been in boot camp together when Chief has always been presented in-game as the last Spartan II? I haven't played Halo 5, but do they ever address that? Because you'd need a proper introduction to address that. That line you mentioned would only further confuse things if they didn't.
>>
>>389772680
>sprint prevents shield regen
Why do people pretend that this did anything at all? If anything, it makes it annoying when you're trying to run away.

I never thought of escaping as the contention in the gameplay. The fact is, 343 doesn't understand map design, 343's best known map, Haven, was remade for Halo 5, and now it's unplayable. Plaza is the worst goddamn map I've ever played in a first person shooter. It's like if you combined Boarding Action with Tombstone.

Halo 5's best map is Molten, and even then it still plays like molasses.
>>
>>389772982
I don't get why the hate for Reach. It was a self contained story and made you actually enjoy the characters it introduced. Same with ODST. People are just butthurt because they aren't Muh Chief Halo, but yet, we got more Chief Halo and it was garbage. Chief died with Halo 3. Halo died with 343
>>
File: Halo 5.jpg (51KB, 976x449px) Image search: [Google]
Halo 5.jpg
51KB, 976x449px
>>389773482
>Halo died
???
>>
>>389773014
>Chief has always been presented in-game as the last Spartan II?

This has never been said in game once, though: only in marketing materials for CE.

If somebody read and remembers some one off line in CE's marketing that was wrong even at the time but in the 15 years that chief isn't actually the last one then that's honestly on them
>>
>>389770694
What you don't recognize is that some of these parties are more rational than others.
It's not the ones sucking off 343i I can tell you that much.
>>
>>389773585
And Halo 4 sold even more, yet its multiplayer community (What Halo revolved around) died in under a year because it was a fucking shit game.
>>
>>389773741
So Halo is not dead as long as there is people who like it and buy it. Nice moving the goal post though
>>
File: latest-6.jpg (60KB, 600x328px) Image search: [Google]
latest-6.jpg
60KB, 600x328px
>>389773232
Underrated map thread?
>>
>>389773657
I'd actually say that while the halo plebbit suck's 343's dick, it's not nearly as much of an echochamber as /v/ is.

/v/ hatefucks 343i more then plebbit sucks them off, I guess is what i'm saying
>>
>>389773014
Last surviving S2. Blue Team was thought to be dead but they were on a unsanctioned mission unknown to the UNSC.
>>
>>389773741
>died in under a year
That's being generous. They had something like a 50% falloff two weeks later (because the new CoD came out) and it only got worse from there.
>>
>>389753327
r u bean cereal
>>
Let's get philosophical. What makes something truly Halo?
>>
>>389773880
Have you read this thread? It's full of people defending 343. Not to mention the "Best multiplayer since halo 2" threads
>>
>>389773892
Red, Black, and Gray were all either alive or MIA at the time as well
>>
>>389773897
Because Halo isn't being made for the fans anymore. It's being made for the 13 year old cod fans who see its rated M so it must be good.
Bungie took any magic they had with them to Destiny, and then they let Activision take the wheel for some fucking reason.
>>
>>389773598
You might be right. But I just checked my Halo CE manual, and he's outright called the last Spartan II in the Story So Far briefing. I'm willing to bet that a player is more likely to read the material included with the game than a companion novel.
>>
>>389774152
Wait, what? Destiny 1 was dogshit.
>>
>>389772528
>Do people actually use that site though? And isn't it mostly for lorefaggotry?
I guess it does talk about the games when they are released and have threads specifically for them.

>Bullshit. Fred says that "he hasn't seen cheif this worked up since boot camp". That IS an introduction, and is completely on par with the sort of context you'd get in CE, 2, or 3, which often even explained less then that
But it's not, Halo 1-4, Master Chief was either considered the last Spartan or the subject wasn't really brought up. In Halo 5 Blue Team just randomly shows up and it's never explained why.

>>389772626
Halo Reach could have given players a look into Master Chief's past and introduced Blue Team as characters in the game universe to eventually return later on in the games. Reach felt like it didn't have much of a plot until Cortana is forced in the game, the characters all sucked, and the levels were mediocre to bad. All the cock teases didn't help the campaign but ruined it more along with Reach's sad excuse of a gameplay.
>>
>>389750648

Ego and a completely different design philosophy compared to Bungie.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6qfx9eoB-88
>>
how about halo 4 and 5 get retconned as nightmares master chief had in cryosleep after halo 3?
>>
File: hue.gif (3MB, 400x225px) Image search: [Google]
hue.gif
3MB, 400x225px
>mfw seeing this fight

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MNrpa0ZIr1E

I mean, this was the climax of Halo 5? That they were marketing as the biggest fight ever?
>>
>>389770356
>non-combat missions
Those were perfectly and actually not so different than the mission cutscenes in previous games. An option to skip would be nice though.
>>
>>389774129
I would say the core points are

>Even starts
>Weapons and powerups on maps
>Relatively high TTK
>Relatively slower movement and high jump heights
>focus on platforming in movement and level design
>misc smaller elements like certain weapons, visual design elements, the setting itself, etc

It's really more of a spectrum then a black or white thing though, and it's pretty subjective: Reach and 4 lack a few of these elements yet still feel like halo in certain ways, yet 5 has all of them and feels less like Halo in others, even if i'd say all 3 games still feel like Halo enough for me.

Also, 2 and 3 both actually feel pretty different from CE, moreso then reach does from 3, i'd argue

>>389774234
Sure, and I get that, but again, if they remember a single line in the fucking manual, i'd think they'd find out in the next 15 years that line isn't accurate.
>>
>>389769567
so don't clamber then? clamber is only there to get up if you fucked up and missed the crouch jump
>>
>>389774563
It takes place around the middle of the game

>>389774429
343 has done a lot of bad shit but that video is just cherrypicked to hell and back
>>
>>389774129
>A game series that's made with heart and soul and answers a few questions about the lore while having the players ask a few more.
>Good characters who don't need a shitty movie to explain their backstory
>Good multiplayer with good gameplay and good maps, all of which Halo 4 onward had none of

>>389774152
Destiny 1 AT LAUNCH was dogshit but it got much better as it progressed. That being said, they took a great idea of a first person scaled down mmo and turned that idea into a cashgrab with a sequel. Destiny 2 should have just been an expansion, players shouldn't loose ALL of the gear/ cosmetics that they collected over the years.
>>
>>389774642
>"I don't like x, it ruins the game"
>HURR DURR then don't do "x"
It's a fundamental design mechanic of the game. It is within the rules of the game. You not using it isn't some sort of protest, it'll just put you at a disadvantage. NO ONE should use clamber.
>>
>>389773482
ODST got hate because you felt like you were still Chief, Reach got hate because:
>Bungie wasn't upfront on who you were going to be playing at E3 2009
>had a terrible campaign, story, and poor character development
>looked like they were trying to fuse COD with GOW
>film grain, motion blur, and bland colors
>armor no longer shining
>mediocre to bad level design
>and a terrible excuse of a gameplay that didn't feel like Halo
Reach could have been special but Bungie turned it into shit. Chief always come back to save the series from disaster like Halo Reach. Chief was and still is the best part of Halo, if 343 really wants to add new characters then make another ODST but done right this time and stop shoving these OCs in Chief's spotlight.
>>
>>389775006
USING clamber puts you at a disadvantage you retard

>I mainly dislike clamber because it slows down options when jumping, doing the canned animation takes time I could be using to shoot

if you crouch-jump like the old games you'll make all your jumps and never be in a spot where you're exposing yourself during a canned animation where you can't shoot
>>
>>389774583
They broke up the gameplay and levels too much. Plus it's fun sometimes screwing around and killing your allies.
>>
File: H5G-Render-Fred.png (643KB, 550x1040px) Image search: [Google]
H5G-Render-Fred.png
643KB, 550x1040px
>>389774527

They fumbled from the outset by having John and Cortana in Halo 4 at all. Their story could have ended with Halo 3 and move on to another Spartan 2 such as Fred 104 who is just as good as John but a little more rough around the edges as a character.

The story could have went anywhere and John and Cortana could have had this really mythological presence going forward.

They could have done anything but stuck with John and Cortana when their story was at an end.
>>
File: 4L_YCsUsBfX.png (138KB, 375x375px) Image search: [Google]
4L_YCsUsBfX.png
138KB, 375x375px
>>389768737
>The majority of BTB maps are Forge creations
>implying there are any that aren't
>>
>>389775378
Exactly this.

It baffles me that there are people on /v/ who think that 343 going IT'LL ONLY BE CHIEF FROM NOW ON WE SWEAR in response to people whining about H5 is a good thing
>>
>>389775006
>I don't like using this mechanic because I feel it puts me at a disadvantage
>I refuse to not use this mechanic because it also somehow puts me at a disadvantage

Why are Halo fans so fucking stupid?
>>
>>389773823
Yep I defined death so my statement didn't change but I totally "moved the goalposts"
Stay mad your games suck ass 343ibaby.
>>
>>389775378
>Their story could have ended with Halo 3 a
He said to her "Wake me when you need me" and she did.
>>
>>389775784
Keep sucking Bungie's dick.
>>
>>389775378
The missing crotch piece on the new armor makes it look really awkward. The undersuit should be black too. I think the Halo 2 Anniversary armor is a decent compromise. They look a little plastic though.
>>
>>389775940
H3's armor looked super plastic yet nobody minds
>>
Hired people who didn't like the Halo series
>>
>>389776037
because it was Baby's 1st FPS.
>>
>>389776074
They are mostly the same people behind Halo 1 to 3. Microsoft created this studio ONLY for the Halo series.
>>
>>389775816

Which would have been never, the war was over and they won.

>"It's finished."
>"It's finished."

It was implied they were never found and that was the bleakness of it.

>"Wake me, when you need me."
He was too much of an autist to say goodbye to Cortana.

The legendary ending was Microsoft and probably had nothing to do with Bungie at all.
>>
>>389776171
Apparently there were new hire-ons though. The two sides were conflicted with what they wanted to do for the series.
>>
>>389776308
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6izbr6TrTeI
7:01 screems SEQUEL so you're wrong.
>>
>>389775378
See>>389775045
Halo doesn't work like that, get that through your skull. Chief mainline, side character spinoff.
>>
File: 4L_Zr34UL8F.jpg (63KB, 904x904px) Image search: [Google]
4L_Zr34UL8F.jpg
63KB, 904x904px
>>389756801
>best weapon balance
>>
>>389750841
right, they made something better
>>
>>389775894
Halo Reach was the worst game when it released and Destiny is the worst AAA shooter I've played in years.

I embrace facts I welcome you to do so with me
>>
>>389753219
wow, fuck you!

H5 is unironically the best arena shooter out there right now lol
>>
>>389776559
inb4 that one guy who shows up in every thread to explain why the AR should have the same range as the BR
>>
>>389776559
prove him wrong
>>
>>389775589
Then stop playing Halo, it was shit in Halo 2, shit in Halo Reach, and shit in Halo 5, go fucking play Destiny you stupid anti-Chief faggots. You're the fucking reason the series always took a nosedive, the only time that shit was done right was in an expansion. Halo was always a power fantasy, don't get mad because Bungie and 343's retarded asses never understood this you Halo 2 niggers.
>>
>>389776489
This. I knew a sequel was coming. Unless that's somehow supposed to be a teaser for Reach. Looks like Requiem to me though.

I personally wanted more chief someday. I just didn't want it like this.
>>
>>389750648

Game design
>>
>>389776489
Fucking this
>>
>>389750648
Too many resources for a franchise designed for small teams. Bungie's Halo 2 and 3 games were so good because they consisted of a team of maybe fifty to sixty dedcated devs. The 343 studio is fucking HUGE compared to those games.
>>
File: 1503597674688.jpg (49KB, 540x429px) Image search: [Google]
1503597674688.jpg
49KB, 540x429px
>>389776596

Yeah they made Call of Duty!
>>
>>389776983
>Unless that's somehow supposed to be a teaser for Reach.
If you look at planet in the map file in Halo 3, its titled "30ld_forerunner_planet\130ld_forerunner_planet"
>>
>>389752986
Idk, I think fan creations usually btfo official people. Look at the fan halo games out there like Installation 01 , halo custom edition, and others. there is some good stuff. Or look at something like sonic mania
>>
>>389777160
It plays nothing like CoD, dumbshit.

CoD's fucking garbage, and just because they both have sprint doesn't mean it's the same.
>>
>>389760657
Halo CE actually had bleeding edge technology as far as graphics went. Graphical feature seen in CE but in no other Halo game was the sunlight on Halo filtering through the leaves of trees. The OG Xbox was pretty beefy as far as power goes.
>>
>>389777209
Well that pretty much confirms it then. I really like the idea behind Halo 4. I just wish there wasn't such a big change in gameplay and art style.
>>
>>389777114

This. The whole 343i staff has no focus and they go through many different developers throughout all their games. 343i may be the most incompetent developers out there, not listening to any feedback from players. There's a reason Halo 4 and 5 had the sharpest drop off in player base in any main Halo game.

Now that the COD audience has made it very clear they're tired of boosting and flying around with jetpacks, maybe it's a wakeup call for 343, considering they essentially ripped off COD in terms of movement.
>>
>>389777606
Not him but yup, I'm starting to believe the faggots that keep stating Halo was supposed to end at Halo 3 and then 343 happened are Sony niggers trying to put Bungie on a better light just to shill that Destiny 2 shit.
>>
>>389768690
You realize that less than 5 Bungie employees joined 343, don't you?
>>
>>389763468
The Dreamcast and OG Xbox were pretty up there, especially in some of their early games like Shenmue and Halo on a visual technical level, even though there's a lot of concessions in something like Shenmue having very small zones surrounded by loading screens.
>>
>>389750648
Hey guys, I honestly have a question. The traditional Halo formula has been done already. There isn't anything new that can be done with it. We have the MCC Collectiin, and the old games and plenty of fan stuff too. If you want classic Halo, why not just play classic Halo? Let the new games evolve for new generations and w can play the classics. What's the problem? Or did you want Halo 4-6 in the style of the classics?
>>
>>389777724
>not listening to any feedback from players
That's never been something that made Halo good. Bungie ignored their fanbase.
>>
>>389757882
Master chief is in an Easter egg in reach cutscenes
>>
>>389753327
>>389774036
Fuck now I have to rewatch the whole serious again
>>
>>389777724
Going by Tom French's comments on Twitter, they're probably going to keep them, they may even bring back the cut abilities Boost Jump and Vault.
>>
>>389777814
What's wrong with making new games that play like the old ones? Why do you have to reinvent the wheel with each release?
>>
File: 4L_aNQIByRw.jpg (42KB, 800x800px) Image search: [Google]
4L_aNQIByRw.jpg
42KB, 800x800px
>>389770674
>they're practically identical
>>
>>389777847
>That's never been something that made Halo good
Agreed
>>
>>389777814
This
>>
>>389758257
Not true at all, in the reveal trailer you hear a voice say "this is Sierra 259, you've got Spartans on the ground"

Anyone who knew about blue team would know Sierra 259 is not chief or blue team
>>
>>389777965
you sound like a sony poster
>>
>>389778125
You sound like a Bethesda shill.
>>
>>389777421

>This is what deluded H5 players believe

Enjoy your dying game.

FUN FACT: Ever since 343 quietly fixed MCC back in February, its player base has been steadily increasing, while H5 is decreasing. I wonder if there's any correlation?
>>
>>389778162
wow nice argument, retard
>>
>>389778162
MCC never got fixed, and you can't find matches outside of Team Slayer, BTB, and Halo 3.
>>
>>389775045
Fuck you. Reach's campaign is some of the most pure fun you can have in a Halo game.
>>
>>389778104
People believed it could just be other Spartans on the ground. Reach was a huge battle so fans thought maybe it could be other Spartans defending the planet with Master Chief and Blue Team.
>>
Exploring the Forerunners was the logical direction to take the series. The easiest way to introduce them was having a planet full of them.
>>
>>389778162
it's true no matter how much you shitpost

halo 5 is classic Halo with a bunch of extra shit on top, now maybe you don't like that extra shit, that's fine, but that doesn't make it COD, in fact if you'd ever messed around with Halo 5's forge you'd know that you can turn off spartan abilities and immediately have an experience that's near-identical to the old ones
>>
>>389778250
>Reach's campaign is some of the most pure fun you can have in a Halo game
That's Halo 1 and 3's campaigns, Reach was shit.
>>
File: 4L_5M9O2Pzr.jpg (47KB, 600x677px) Image search: [Google]
4L_5M9O2Pzr.jpg
47KB, 600x677px
>>389776915
>prove an opinion wrong
>>
>>389777965
>What's wrong with making new games that play like the old ones?
Because that would have gotten stale. I love my 90s cartoons like any nostslgisfag but can you imagine if all those old shows never stopped kept going up until today? Another 20 years of Toonami would have worn out its welcome eventually.

I'll always have a place in my heart for classic Halo. I'm satisfied with having the original 3. I honestly think it should have ended there; it's obviously just done out of obligation now.
>>
>>389778461
forgive typos; phoneposting
>>
>>389768690
343 currently has 2 ex-bungie employees.

How about YOU shut the fuck up about stuff you don't know about.
>>
>>389778426
Without the abilities, Halo 5 is just a Halo game where all of the weapons are overly easy to use.
>>
>>389778162
Yeah, it's going to decrease as soon as Halo 3, ODST, Anniversry, and Halo 4 become BC. Enjoy your empty Broken Chief Collection.
>>
>>389778448
so you have no argument
>>
>>389777814
>we have the MCC collection
That game was broken when it launched, still crashes constantly and breaks party chat, and has ports with shoddiest hit detection than the originals. That's hardly the definitive classic Halo experience.
>>
>>389778225

In North America I can find matches in every playlist, something I wasn't able to do last year. Even people in Australia can find people again and have no trouble finding a game now
>>
>>389778461
This, I say the same thing about 2D Metroid games.
>>
File: ideal.jpg (105KB, 1200x732px) Image search: [Google]
ideal.jpg
105KB, 1200x732px
>Literally who fans make 343 armor look drastically better in like 20 minutes of photoshop
How fucking pathetic is 343?
>>
>>389778461
Maybe it would have gotten stale for you, but clearly fucking up the whole game and changing everything helped even less. People expect consistency from a numbered release of a game, and people who don't give a shit about the series in the first place won't suddenly start to care with some new gimmicks tacked on.
>>
>>389769310
Because it's an illusion. It doesn't actually give you more control or movement options. It takes them away. Watch this video

https://youtu.be/u6YdPRyW0DA
>>
>>389759356
That is pretty bullshit and gives less reason to even touch Destiny since it's online only, I doubt if I get the vanilla version or the collection on PS4 there'd be much people playing either.
>>
>>389778565
that's funny considering how much everyone bitches about the decreased aim magnetism
>>
>>389753327
Go away Chief
>>
>>389778426

Just because someone has a different opinion than you doesn't mean they're sitposting
>>
>>389778539
>Frank O' Connor: Franchise development director (ex. Bungie)
>Vic Deleon (ex. Bungie)
>Donnie Taylor: Environment artist (ex-Bungie contract)
>Will Christiansen (contract, ex-Bungie contract)
>Dan Callan: Mission designer (ex. Microsoft/Bungie tester)
>Chad Armstrong: Designer (ex. Bungie)

>2
Lol
>>
>>389778793
Nobody does that. All of the power weapons aim for you, all of the autos aim for you, all of the pickup rifles aim for you. Even the pistol aims for you, except the range for it is too shit.
>>
>>389778793
Yeah, but they turned up the bullet magnetism a shitload to compensate. Halo 5 without Spartan abilities plays like shot because everything is balanced around them.
>>
>>389778687
Looks much better. I don't know Why it's so hard to do this.
>>
>>389751083
fpbp
>>
guys why do people hate Halo Reach?
its my all time favorite
>>
>>389778746
The Halo 2 maps are smaller, this isn't news.
>>
imo they focused to much on multiplayer in Halo 5
>>
File: DI3ZHbRVwAAmSuA.jpg (82KB, 1024x576px) Image search: [Google]
DI3ZHbRVwAAmSuA.jpg
82KB, 1024x576px
>#DabForHalo2017 is a real thing

Well it's been a good run. I'm fucking out.
>>
>>389773014
He was the last known Spartan to everyone in the game... Because they were stranded
>>
>>389778978
You know why. It's not worth repeating when every reason has been given hundreds of times over the better part of a decade.
>>
>>389752629
>>389752883
Lets not forget that Tom Hulett guy also ruining the Silent Hill games. The self proclaimed biggest fan of the series in the world. I actually think it is a meme. These people never really were fans. They just claim to be fans to save face.
>>
File: Decals.png (1MB, 1546x836px) Image search: [Google]
Decals.png
1MB, 1546x836px
>>389778930
Because 343 is lazy and egotistical. This guys given them multiple presentations stating how to fix it but they don't do shit. As good as Halo Wars 2 spartans look they still won't fix it in the main games I bet.
>>
>>389778987
ayo how much live they givin you? bills are gettin expensive n shit but I still wanna play online
>>
>>389778571
For starters, making every pick up weapon a direct upgrade to your starting weapon isn't "good" sandbox design. The DMR is literally a pistol with a larger mag and more magnetism, which completely defeats the point of the Pistol being touted as the "utility weapon" of the game. Not to mention that autos were so powerful that they were literally taken out of competitive.
>>
>>389779148
This

>>389779101
>dabbing
What is this?
>>
>>389779179
This is garbage lmao
>>
Because they were established to clone an existing series and not to make original games.
>>
>>389776953
But I like halo, dumb cheefag.

>>389777965
How do you define "play like the old ones". 2 changed a lot from CE and 3 changed a lot from 2. I think 5's core gameplay is a good step in the right direction from 3.

>>389778746
I've seen that video before. I think it has some good observations but it's also pretty misleading in a lot of other ways, you can't just compare how long it takes to move across the map, because it ignores the fact that the scale itself is different and some other factors.

If I didn't have other shit to do right now i'd break it down further

>>389778894
>>389778565
I'm somewhat optomistic for the weapon tuning update, since they've said that they are making the BR, carbine, and DMR more specific to their intended roles and ranges, and making the AR reward unskilled usage less/reward skilled usage more, so I assume that spraying will be de-incentized but accurate bursts will be rewarded more, alongside a general reduction of aim assist/magnetism across the board.

>>389778687
>>389778930
This would be a step in the right direction but there's still issues. For starters, instead of removing the white decals, they should just make them a third color option like the detail color tab in Halo 3.

More importantly, if you are removing the colored undersuits, then you need to make the armor cover the undersuit more around the same areas to preserve the balance, otherwise the large patches of black will stick out. Adding crotch armor back partially does this, but you also need more plating around the shoulders and stomach area.

Look at how much coverage H3 and Reach armor sets had.
>>
File: halo_has_changed.png (268KB, 553x484px) Image search: [Google]
halo_has_changed.png
268KB, 553x484px
343 doesn't understand Halo as the fans know it, as Bungie knew it. Even those that remained behind tried to push it in a new direction to make 343's take more independent and unique. The result was demystifying the Forerunners, making an overly abundant excess of expanded universe material that 343 decided to make essential to understanding the ongoing plot lines, and completely changing the art style on a whim to something radically different, overly detailed and loosely anime-inspired without even understanding how to make it look good or consistent (on top of making lore excuses for things like why Chief's armor changed in a cryo tube via nanomachines and Cortana having S4 armor designs before the end of H3).

Halo 5 and the Hunt the Truth stuff amounting to absolutely fucking nothing for the game itself pretty much demonstrated that 343 is tossing around shit with no real direction and just trying to find a firm foothold on the side of Mount Everest. The fans won't ever be satisfied when newer games are compared to the classics, but you'd have to surpass the classics in more than budget and technological console capability to even begin to make the progress to that.
>>
>>389778569

A broken mess that's vastly superior to H5 in every conceivable way. I can't wait for the backwards compat update myself, I have no allegence towards MCC in any way, especially since 343i was involved. I was only stating the obvious: Halo 5 is losing players to it's older, better games.
>>
>>389779281
It's simply taking 343's design principles and applying them to Halo 3 armor. It's supposed to look like shit.
>>
>>389779281
That's kinda the point. Unless you mean his points and actually think the awful colored undersuits and decals look good.
>>
>>389778162
MCC hasn't had an update since summer 2015, what the fuck are you on about?

It's still broken as hell, I play it regularly.
>>
>>389779375
>aking an overly abundant excess of expanded universe material that 343 decided to make essential to understanding the ongoing plot lines

end this meme, see >>389753945 . 4 and 5 combined rely less on the books to understand then CE did alone

Everything else you say is accurate, if a bit exaggerated though
>>
>>389779347
2 & 3 had pretty conservative changes between the two games. While I'm a CEfag, the vast majority of people like Halo 3. Halo 3 with new weapons, new weapons, Forge improvements, and just general quality of life improvements would make for a game many people would agree to be a good game.
>>
>>389751083
no, it plays nothing like CoD
>>
>>389778987
They're bigger to account for sprint. How is this hard for you to grasp.
>>
File: Cortana.jpg (47KB, 900x450px) Image search: [Google]
Cortana.jpg
47KB, 900x450px
HALO 4 was the best halo
>>
>>389759356
>the three year shelf life of the sequel's highly touted predecessor
Why did he write this in such shitty, roundabout language?
>>
>>389750648
Not letting Master Chief's story end. Pushing too hard for the COD audience.

Halo has done enough world-building, it needs to move on to other protagonists. Give us a game about the insurrectionists in the colonies, or first contact with the covenant.
>>
>>389780073
>Not letting Master Chief's story end.
Another IP, Another retard who don't know about what he's talking about and who don't read the thread!
>>
>>389779582
3 wasn't a step up from 2 though. The only thing is the graphics looked better and the implementation of Forge so you can have crazy custom gametypes and matches.

3 was popular because it was the only Halo game out . Once Reach came out everyone saw 3 very fondly.
>>
>>389780236
3 was a step up in every way but competitive and map design.
>>
>>389779993
*worst
>>
>>389780181
Just because you've posted your shit opinions in the thread doesn't make them the End-all-be-all of the discussion.

H3 was the perfect ending for chief. Bringing him back more does nothing but ruin him and make the series feel like cheap nostalgia bait.
>>
>>389780448
Best*
>>
>>389780524
No it wasn't, you don't end a story with a music showing something that something bad is going to happen to ship in which Cortana and The MC were.
>>
>>389780694
cut the 1st Something from this sentence.
>>
>>389780328
So literally the main things you need to keep a game alive 3 didn't have. I won't lie I was still playing 3 the midnight leading up into Reach. But again outside of graphical clarity and Forge Halo 3 really didn't do that much. Hell Bungie even lost friends lists that was one of their main innovations and the xbox360 did friends lists and party chat for you not the game.
>>
>>389780694
Bungie have literally said in interviews that they thought about making a Halo 4, but thought it wasn't interesting, so tbey made reach instead.

This shows they were done with the story of chief. They didn't want to continue it.
>>
>>389780904
An look how that turned out. Bungie calling Reach their "Swan song," An having everything they could cram into it and it flops so hard they tuck their tail between their legs and run off to do Destiny that's even shittier.
>>
>>389780694
>something bad
Just the implication that there's more adventures to be had if Master Chief was ever revisited.

Then the five year timeskip occurred, the mary sue ship the Infinity is retconned into being worked on even before the war was over, Chief's armor was suddenly a Spartan IV-style design because nanomachines, the Forward Unto Dawn was completely and utterly redesigned in a nonsensical manner, and a really, really angry Forerunner corrupted and running amok with a god complex decides to cause all hell while the story suddenly promotes an entirely different relationship between Chief and Cortana, whose Rampancy might as well be AI cancer.
>>
>>389780073
>Not letting Master Chief's story end
It was never going to end to begin with, Chief IS Halo, sorry you didn't get that after playing the first Halo game.
>>
>>389781109
The halo 4 we got wasn't any better so go figure.

Modern Bungie is shit and 343 is pretty shit too
>>
>>389781109
Reach was good you whiny cockmongler. Not as good as its predecessors, but all I see you do is whine about how Reach is terrible and Bungie did more damage to the series with it than 343.
>>
3 > 2 > 1 > Reach > ODST > 5 > 4
>>
>>389781109
Kek I remember the marketing for reach was so good. I was excited. It took me a few weeks to realize how shit the game was
>>
File: 1452467823375.png (243KB, 398x306px) Image search: [Google]
1452467823375.png
243KB, 398x306px
>>389750648

Changed things for the sake of changing things instead of refining the game and doing what Halo does best. Compare them getting their hands on Halo 4 to The Coalition and Gears of War 4.

Like, did they really need to go and mess with the designs of grunts and warthogs?
>>
>>389780904
>This shows they were done with the story of chief. They didn't want to continue it.
No it wasn't. They even made a book about it before Halo 4.
>>
>>389780904
Yeah, they really should have just made Halo 4, I more interested in that anyway.

>>389780524
Bungie left it open so he could be brought back.
>>
>>389781324
5 < 4>>>>>3 > 2 > 1 >shit> Reach > ODST
>>
>>389781109
Yup, after Reach, I was begging even harder for the Master Chief to come back. I couldn't take another Chiefless Halo game after the mess that was Reach.
>>
>>389781591
t. 343i
>>
>>389776596
Look at him and laugh.
>>
File: the_hare_gets_the_clang.png (586KB, 1113x630px) Image search: [Google]
the_hare_gets_the_clang.png
586KB, 1113x630px
Why was Reach "bad"?
>>
>>389781742
t. Bungie
>>
>Frank O'Connor doesn't give a fuck anymore
>Bonnie Ross said she wants to run 343i/Halo like George Lucas
>Majority of the Devs are people who don't even like Halo and were hired because they disliked Halo
>Instead of letting the games be a standalone experience, the actual lore and characters are in the expanded material such as books and ARGs which makes the games feel quite empty and boring
>The devs can repeat off the top of their heads buzzwords that make Halo Halo, but they don't actually understand it.
>They fucked up the characters of Chief, Cortana and Halsey
>They turned ONI into a literal "ohhhhh spooky men in black"
>They think that just telling you shit is bad with no context makes you feel as if the stakes are high and therefore will care
>They absolutely completely fucked the Covenant, especially the Elites
>They refuse to establish the rules of the fight and create giant gaps between cinematics and gameplay (Spartan 5s doing flips n' shit taking out multiple elites with ease via pistol but in game you can't do any of that)
>They destroyed the aesthetic of Halos hard sci-fi and the designs of their armors, weapons etc make no fucking sense
>>
>>389781317
Reach came off a good game.
4 came off a shit game.
Which did more damage?
>>
>>389781448
Which book is that, anon.
>>
>>389781904
>(Spartan 5s doing flips n' shit taking out multiple elites with ease via pistol but in game you can't do any of that)

Meanwhile in Halo 2 Cheif jumps out of a spaceship riding a bomb, kicks off of it, and then lands on another spacehhip, and in halo 3 he survives a drop from orbit

come on anon

Also ONI has always been spooky men in black
>>
>>389781904
>Frankie doesn't give a fuck anymore
He never gave a fuck. He was always a borderline task monkey.
>>
>>389781958
This
>>
>>389753128
The only things they did right at all was remastering the campaigns for CE and H2. Everything else was and is pure unadulterated trash.
>>
>>389753397
>warzone
>fun

Idiots with IQs of less than 70 call in an answer and go on a killing frenzy instantly. Every single aspect of halo 5 is terrible.
>>
File: Nice baito desune.jpg (69KB, 644x490px) Image search: [Google]
Nice baito desune.jpg
69KB, 644x490px
>>389781904
>>
>>389782039
>B-but in Halo 2
And you didn't suffer from fall damage. The only time you died was when you fell off the game map. You didn't feel a giant disconnect from that scene because you knew Chief could survive almost anything and he used his strength to push the bomb out and help guide it. Not to mention he had help from the UNSC to get the bomb in the Covenant ship. In game you feel through your melee attacks, rigid maneuverability, survivability as if you are a walking tank and that cutscene reinforces that without breaking it.

That's the difference.
>>
>>389781968
>>>/vg/188792898
>>
>>389754204
I found the 15 year old newfag
>>
>>389782856
ironic
>>
File: IMG_0865.png (1MB, 640x1136px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0865.png
1MB, 640x1136px
>>389756801
>best weapon balance
>>
>>389778978
I love it too. It had the best mp.
>>
File: IMG_0274.jpg (11KB, 276x183px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0274.jpg
11KB, 276x183px
>people ITT who nonironically think Reach was good
>>
>>389783583
explain why you think its bad
>>
>>389783583
I think it was better than good, and you cant give me a real reason why not.
>>
>>389782856
I guarantee you I've been playing and reading Halo stuff since before you knew Halo existed

>>389783136
H5 absolutely has the best balance. Every single gun other then the boltshot and suppressor is good, and even the boltshot is still usable.

>>389782739
I don' get the distinction, by this logic every time cheif pulls himself up from a cliff would break the immersion because clamber wasn't in CE-3.
>>
File: Funny-Laughing-Gif-Picture.gif (499KB, 480x228px) Image search: [Google]
Funny-Laughing-Gif-Picture.gif
499KB, 480x228px
>>389783583
This
>>
>>389783689
Google it. It's been 7 years.
>>
>>389784020
Didn't Reach go to shit because of 343's updates
>>
>>389757248
Insane bullet magnetism

Heavy aim and slow turn (even with buffed sense and accel settings)

Shit map design

No new maps (none that are good)

Starting magnum is ass considering it's supposed to be the utility weapon

BRs, DMRs, LRs, and other assorted OP weapons that dwarf the ability of what you spawn with

Sprint and boost which dramatically slows down gunfights and also takes away the punishment one would get for making a retarded push or being caught in the open

Shit servers

Microtransactions

Clamber, which takes the skill out of skill jumps

Crazy aim assist

Spartan abilities, you can turn a gun fight around by literally pressing one button

Radar, which makes it easier for shitters and brain deads to have awareness when you used to have to use your brain and also look for people

Melees are retarded, you not only get lunge, but you get melee magnetism

Base movement speed is too fast

No BTB maps made by developers

War zone is so casual it hurts. Kids spawn in one weapon and get 25 kills in 3 minutes even though they suck

Also, warzone maps are the same based copy and pasted into generic procedurally generated shit terrains.

Do I need to keep going?
>>
>>389784274
If anything, the patch saved it.
>>
>>389784274
Not him but Reach was shit before the updates, there wasn't more they could really do to make that piece of shit play like a Halo game. What I did appreciate though was that Certain Affinity made the game look like a Halo game from a visual standpoint, something Bungie failed to do.
>>
>>389784523
Bungie developed Halo Reach...
>>
>>389784361
>Heavy aim and slow turn
Got fixed.
>Starting magnum is ass considering it's supposed to be the utility weapon
>BRs, DMRs, LRs, and other assorted OP weapons that dwarf the ability of what you spawn with
Getting fixed.
>Clamber, which takes the skill out of skill jumps
Untrue.
>Radar, which makes it easier for shitters and brain deads to have awareness when you used to have to use your brain and also look for people
Got fixed.
>Base movement speed is too fast
How is this bad?
>War zone is so casual it hurts. Kids spawn in one weapon and get 25 kills in 3 minutes even though they suck
The causal mode is casual?
>>
>>389784698
Yes, and Certain Affinity made it look and try to make it play like an actual Halo game. Your point?
>>
>>389783764
I've been playing halo since CE and played with pros/top AMs up until I quit playing a couple months ago. Every weapon being better than what you spawn with does not make the game balanced you stupid fucking retard. You wouldn't know what balance was if someone was walking a tight rope in front of you. Stupid casual fag. I know you love H5. It's the only halo you'll ever be good at. All H5 kids are the same, the same kids I've been shitting on for 16 years. H5 comes out and they go pro or get top 16 at tournaments? I guarantee you I'm infinitely better than you at halo and have a much better grasp on the Mechanics.
>>
>>389784827
I fail to see how they fixed radar. There's still radar in HCS is there not? Last time I was playing they did an update to make you only show up when shooting, sprinting, or using spartan abailities. Which is fucking stupid. Might as well if just left radar in completely.

Also last time I played their "fix" for heavy aim 100% didn't work.
>>
>>389785445
The new radar is necessary with the movement options. Besides, it doesn't give any information you can't get from just listening so it's not even an issue.
>>
>>389784020
The most bitching I find is that people weren't satisfied with the campaign, armor lock is the spawn of the devil, too DMR focused, sprint which had limited use given its status as an armor ability, and the gunfire bloom. Loadouts too, but those were incredibly basic and mostly mode-specific.

That doesn't make it a terrible game, and the updates mainly rebalanced the bloom, damage bleeding, and armor lock.
>>
File: 1378602277700.jpg (329KB, 591x976px) Image search: [Google]
1378602277700.jpg
329KB, 591x976px
>>389784827
>Heavy aim and slow turn
>Got fixed.
No it didn't PC is still more responsive than the slow shit aiming console has.

The fact 343 is considering going back to BR starts shows they don't understand why people wanted something like the magnum in the first place. The weapon update won't do shit.
>>
>>389785096
It is balanced, it's just not the type of balance you want.

I agree, that,ideally, every gun would have a unique role vs pickups just being straight upgrades over the spawn weapons, but what it is now is still leagues better then 2 and 3 where the only guns worth using both in casual and competitive play was the BR, Carbine, Plasma Pistol, and power weapons

>>389785675
My understanding is BR starts are temporary and it'll go back to AR/magnum starts once the tuning is done
>>
>>389785765
Reach had the best weapon set when you stripped away all the garbage guns.
>>
>>389785765
So in your fucked up little world having an abundance of overpowered weapons is balance? Not havin less weapons and better starting weapons so the playing field isn't as one sided? Wow, you're a legitimate OG halo player oozing with skill and knowledge of game mechanics.
>>
>>389786283
You can have both.
>>
>>389785561
It's only necessary because they made the game the way it was. Halo 5 is LITERALLY advanced warfare with shields. The only maps that aren't call of halo are MAYBE coliseum and truth.
>>
>>389786469
?????????????????????????????????
>>
>>389786636
What's wrong with having a really good starting guns and 7-8 other really strong guns to compliment it?
>>
>>389786019
I'd say reach is pretty up there.

5, Reach, and CE are the only games in the series where the weapon balance was at least half decent, with 4 almost making it.

>>389786283
>So in your fucked up little world having an abundance of overpowered weapons is balance?

It's better then having an overabundance of underpowered weapons.Plus, if everything is overpowered, nothing is. Having pickup weapons be all upgrades is a valid way to balance it, provided that your starting weapon is sitll good enough to prevent the curbstomps you mention where one team locks down all the pickups.

In Halo 5's case, this would be easily accomplished with AR/Magnum starts if the precision weapons were nerfed a bit and the magnum/AR were a bit better, provider the user is using them skillfully, which, suprise, is exactly what the tuning update is doing.
>>
>>389786773
I thought 4 had it better than 5 aside from the lack of descope. The AR was the most satisfying in the series, and the Boltshot worked well as a pickup.
>>
>>389787014
I'd say 5's AR is easily the most satisiying. I has the same meaty punchy to it that H4's had in terms of damage, and the same impressive deep fire sounds that reach's does, as well as being more accurate then even the Reach AR, which really helps it feel like you are actually putting out damage to specific points rather then just having a bullet hose.

I get what they were trying to do with 4's, just having it be a beast in general up close to make up for it's lack of range, but it didn't have the raw damage output or still enough range to justify it's utiility, which is the issue autos have always had in the series aside from aruably CE.

5 does them right, aside from the fact that now that they are actually useful, they don't really have an appropriate skillgap to go with it.
>>
>>389753945
That's wrong though. 1, 2, and 3 tell a cohesive story, literally the only thing that someone who never read the books would wonder is WTF is Reach and why does it get brought up once per game.
>>
>>389787335
4's AR worked fine without needing to kill at every range. That's what the rifles were for.
>>
>>389787475
CE doesn't explain what the UNSC is, (as you say) what reach is, what the covenant are or why they are attacking, who cortana, keyes, and cheif are, etc.

By contrast, 4 explains thte didact and librarian's backstory, the origin of the promethians, what the composer is, etc.

>>389787757
No, it's range was still too short to justify keeping it on you over the BR or carbine or DMR: Why would you use a gun that's good up close but bad at medium and unusable at long range, when you could use guns that ate good at medium, and still usable at close and long?
>>
>>389788672
>No, it's range was still too short to justify keeping it on you over the BR or carbine or DMR: Why would you use a gun that's good up close but bad at medium and unusable at long range, when you could use guns that ate good at medium, and still usable at close and long?
Because you can press the Y button for a quick advantage.
Thread posts: 417
Thread images: 49

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.