[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why did the PSP sell 8x as many units as the Vita?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 126
Thread images: 7

File: jjrdwmoo8cu4sy0akuaq.jpg (113KB, 1600x900px) Image search: [Google]
jjrdwmoo8cu4sy0akuaq.jpg
113KB, 1600x900px
Why did the PSP sell 8x as many units as the Vita?
>>
>>389734627
Like a smartphone before the smartphone.
>>
File: Monster Hunter!.png (218KB, 704x596px) Image search: [Google]
Monster Hunter!.png
218KB, 704x596px
Because
>>
>>389734627
The same reason the 3DS didn't outsell the PSP, changing markets.
>>
>>389734627
its memory cards were cheaper
>>
>>389734627
The PSP had games.
>>
>>389735524
The 3DS has to compete with the original DS and 2DS. It's not just a simple matter of 'changing markets' here.
>>
>>389735942
The 3DS sold a lot worse than the DS.
>>
>>389734627
Piracy, homebrew and monster hunter
>>
>>389736157
not even piracy saved the vita

psp had games to pirate
>>
It had normalfag games
>>
>>389734627
It was cheaper, it had more and far better games and shit mobage were still not that big.
>>
>>389734627
vita had no games
and its other features were things phones could now do better
>>
>>389734627
I would have waited a few years and released a Vita that could play PS2 games and downscaled PS4 games
>>
Portable gaming is down in general because a lot of kids that would have wanted/played a DS ten years ago (and their modern counterparts) are now content with a smartphone or smart device which can play app-based games and browse the internet. As a result, the overall market has shrunk.

This hit the Vita harder than the 3DS in part because the 3DS still has "killer" titles like Mario and Pokemon, which many casuals still eventually pony up for. Meanwhile, Sony lacks titles with this sort of broad market appeal on the portable level.

>>389735942
The 3DS is graphically much stronger than the regular DS, the market at large isn't buying regular DS games outside of a handful of hobbyists and the third world.

And 2DS sales are counted in the 3DS lifetime, we're talking core units for the lineup rather than separating each revision.
>>
>>389734627
Extreme easymode piracy.

/thread

Yes I just /thread'd myself because you know I'm right.
>>
>>389734627
Real games for real people.

GTA, Monster Hunter, Final Fantasy, Kingdom Hearts, Metal Gear Solid.

Vita didnt have shit. Ports at best or noname no budget garbage.
>>
>>389737437
3DS had the 3D gimmick that even smart phones copied for a short while.
>>
>>389736206
Piracy on the psp was day 1. Vita got hacked after 5 years.
>>
>>389737437
This and the Vita's proprietary memory cards.
>>
Because with the PSP, people were open to idea of SONY going up against Nintendo in the handheld market.

With the Vita, people realised it was pointless.

Smart phones took a massive bite of the market too.
>>
>>389738247
The Vita didnt offer the games the PSP did.
If anything developers lost faith in it, for one reason or another.
>>
>>389738191
Nothing changed after those 5 years.
>>
>>389737938
/thread

Who the fuck doesn't want to play Burnout on a handheld? Besides DSfags
>>
>>389738340
because by the time it got hacked it was already dead
>>
No smart phones. The PSP could play gigs of music, of video, surf the internet, etc. before smart phones were large and in charge.
>>
>>389737938
those were the type of games that i'd rather have played on home console than on handheld
>>
>>389738653
who the fuck are you?
>>
>>389738702
the one who turned ur daddy into a cuck
>>
>>389738653
Well many didnt. Learn to understand that others have a different idea of how things should be.

All of those games were designed with a mission format that worked well for commute and short bursts of play.
>>
>>389738653
good thing that you could plug your PSP into a TV and play it that way
>>
>>389738801
thanks sony for removing that feature from the vita even though you clearly added a video out jack at the bottom only to sell us a shitty vita TV later.

the vita is such a hitler device.
>>
>>389738875
neither of the ports on the Vita had TV-out capability though
>>
>>389738914
https://hackinformer.com/2014/03/04/ps-vitas-mystery-port-explained/
fuck off
>>
>Abandoned Sony's otherwise totally obvious naming conventions (Playstation 1 2 3 4 and Portable) for the Playstation Vita and Playstation TV
>The company Sony hired to do marketing barely researched the product and blatantly lied in the marketing (Using the Vita's very terrible PS3 remote play to play on a BUS with 3G? It's genuinely not possible) and Sony lost a lawsuit that basically made it illegal to advertise the Vita on TV
>That was only one of the problems, Sony also lied about it being HD despite its 544p resolution
>A lot of early Sony first party support fell flat on it's face
>>
>>389738191
Vita was almost hacked year 1 but then the hacker stopped due to a lack of interest.
>>
>>389739005
>https://yifan.lu/2013/12/22/random-observations-on-vita-logic-board/
> As a side note, I could not find any direct connection between anything on the video connector to either the mystery port or the multi-connector. If Sony were to ever produce a video-out cable, there needs to be a software update as there doesn’t seem to be hardware support.
>>
>>389736015
>The 3DS sold a lot worse than the DS.

The DS is literally the console with more sales / time in the entire history of videogames.

It only sold a little less than PS2, and it did so in 4 (FOUR) years less.

You just can't expect to compete with that.
>>
>>389738702
i'm miyamoto. i just think that making console games on handheld wasn't ideal. playing something like god of war on psp just made me wish that it was on ps3 instead. i know it was later ported to ps3, but so did alot of other games.
>>
>>389739137
Yeah some hackers word absolutely stacks up against the fucking vita designers who admit it.

And of course it would require a software update, they didnt include software functionality on purpose.
>>
>>389739143
No doubt about it, but the changing market hit Nintendo as well.

>>389739180
God of War is shallow as fuck, the only way it holds up is if you're playing it in short bursts. Like a portable does best.
>>
>>389739330
All that link establishes is that they planned to use it for TV-out at some stage in development.

Given that there was never any cable released by Sony, the final Vita hardware lacked the necessary hardware by the admission of the fag who's responsible for the entire Vita homebrew scene, and the only TV-out hardware that was unofficially released was horribly unwieldy and expensive crap like this http://www.3dsvideocapture.com/product-list/6 it should be clear that those plans for the mystery port never made it into the final Vita that was actually released.
>>
>>389734627
1.Games
2.Sony actually gave a shit
>>
>>389739963
>It stated since the new slim PS Vita 2k,does not have this type of connection, the PS Vita TV is here to satisfy the players wanting a TV out solution for their Vita’s.
They clearly mention the 2k vita as not having that type of connection. The only real difference between the 2k and the 1k is the mystery port.

It was absolutely for video, they simply never mass produced the cables and enabled the software for it because suits most likely got in the way to jew it up.
>>
>>389734627
>easier to hack
>was hackable much earlier in its life
>it was the first time Sony tried challenging Nintendo's portable game market, so more people were on board with trying the PSP
>>
>>389740441
It wasnt just piracy, people legitimately bought the things to buy games.

The PSP has many million selling games. The Vita has fuckall.

I think the amount of piracy on the thing is overstated, even though it was easy as fuck and many did it.
>>
>>389740571
The PSP sold like 4 times more consoles than the Vita.
Even if half of all PSP owners were pirating and none of the Vita owners were, that bodes a lot better for PSP game sales.
>>
File: ponpon.png (41KB, 480x272px) Image search: [Google]
ponpon.png
41KB, 480x272px
>>389735756
It didn't actually, most games that are good either ports or remakes, you could just completely skip PSP library and don't lose any of value if not for Dissidia and Potapon series.
>>389736157
And we have a winner, most games that I played\beat on PSP were not original PSP games, homebrew is definitely the reason behind PSP success.
>>
>>389740701
Thats what many seem to forget. Its better to have a system thats high in piracy and high in sales than a system thats low in both.

You cannot forget that a huge part of the gaming population doesnt know or doesnt want to pirate.

DS piracy had an entry barrier of 5€ and the knowledge of using drag and drop with your mouse at some point and it still managed to move a fuckton of game copies.
>>
>>389740953
>most games that are good either ports or remakes
wrong
>>
>>389740953
Wrong.
>Ace Combat X/JA
>Burnout Legends/Dominator
>Wipeout Pulse/Pure
>GTA LCS/VCS
>R&C SM
>Daxter
>MGS POps/POps+/PW
>MonHun
Off the top of my head.
>>
>>389735942
>The 3DS has to compete with the original DS and 2DS
The 2DS counts as the 3DS. If anything, the 2DS helped boosting the 3DS numbers.

As for the DS, literally every new console has to compete with its predecessor. The DS had to compete with the GBA and the Vita with the PSP. Not an argument.
>>
Because it plays thousands of games from decades of consoles for like $50 with good controls, battery life and a really nice screen. This is before you even get to the native library.
>>
because by that time most people realised that handheld consoles are shit, and mobile gaming were also rising, also vita had no games on it and since then, it isn't much better.
>>
Because it actually had games. The only game I could possibly want for the VITA would maybe P4G, but then it's not worth dropping money on the VITA itself.

On a related note, the VITA TV can be hacked right? What's the possibility of turning that into a Roku/CFW Backup box?
>>
Just passing to say that i fucking love the PSP, have a good day Anons
>>
File: pgr_01__ford_gt.gif (15KB, 176x208px) Image search: [Google]
pgr_01__ford_gt.gif
15KB, 176x208px
It's because mobile games still looked like this even in 2006. There was no portable like it with the power and capability it had for years.
>>
>>389742327
PSTV can be hacked just like the Vita can.
If you buy it new it's guaranteed to be on a hackable firmware. Same for all Vitas, outside of Japan any way.
Don't bother using it for media playback, it's only decent as a PS1/PSP/Vita machine.
Almost all Vita games are running with patches and plugins, even those that don't officially work. Gravity Rush is pretty comfortable with a DS4 for example.
A hacked Vita has the advantage of supporting an sd2vita adaptor, but you can also use a regular USB stick on a hacked PSTV.
>>
>>389734627
It got hacked much earlier in its lifespan.
Also smartphones weren't a thing back then.
>>
>>389742572
I only asked about Media playback is that my office threw out this fucking flatscreen for whatever reason and I might as well put in my place as a netflix viewer
>>
>>389742726
Everything the PSTV outputs is crushed to the Vita resolution of 544p and scaled back up to 720p or 1080i. (except, mysteriously, PS4 remote play at true 720p)
>>
The 3DS did not sell less just because of "changing markets." It sold less primarily because it was a shittier product than the DS. The 3D gimmick was totally worthless and its library of games wasn't very good.
>>
>>389742985
What the fuck
>>
>>389742327
Vita had games too, stop with this bullshit.Nobody buyed them thats why it failed.

It had CoD,nfs most wanted,uncharted,killzone,lbp,ass creed,madden,fifa and more bullshit.

Just as same reasons why PSP sold
GTA,God of War,Tekken,PES/FIFA,SmackDown games are highest selling games on PSP.

Market went over iOS/Android thats why. In PSP days mobile games were still in java.
>>
>>389743095
Yep, so it's not very good for media playback.
Oh, and PS1 stuff might be properly scaled (directly from 240p to 720p rather than 240p to 544p to 720p) but I haven't tested that.
>>
>>389743131
The PSP had exclusives while the Vita was just ports and weeaboo games.
>>
>>389743131
You can bet your ass that something like kingdom hearts, final fantasy, monster hunter and metal gear solid is MUCH more appealing to the handheld audience than fucking madden and CoD.

Sony put the wrong games on the thing right from the start.Something like Patapon was nowhere to be seen.

And the proper third parties like Capcom, Konami and SE had no interest outside of ports.
>>
>>389743279
>i like like to talk from my ass

http://www.vgchartz.com/gamedb/?name=&publisher=&platform=PSP&genre=&minSales=0&results=200

none of those games matter.

Patapon never sold any good.CoD would be great if it handled from a good studio .

Ass Creed games exclusive.

Look best selling PSP games. Midnight Club,GTA,God of War,Tekken,Medal of Honor.
>>
>>389743747
>vgchartz
lmao
>>
>>389743879
post a better reference
>>
>>389744178
Do I have to?
I dont think you understand how this works.
Your claim, you need to back it up. With real numbers.
>>
>>389744406
anon posted more evidence than you did
>>
>>389744539
No need to samefag, and made up evidence is literally not evidence.

You have one more post before I move on.
>>
You will never understand how popular Monster Hunter was during that gen
>>
>>389744653
It wasnt more popular than GTA.
>>
>>389734627
its also 20 millions above 3DS despite being the loser of its time

the dedicated handheld market is just shite
>>
>>389735012
This. I bought my PSP because of the allure of having a portable media player. It getting hacked and being able to play emulators and PS1 games was also a huge plus.

>>389736157
Monster Hunter was barely a blip on the mainstream radar for the life of the PSP. I'm not even sure why people ever thought of MH as a system seller, it's only ever been super popular in Japan, and Portable consoles have never sold poorly there, including the Vita.
>>
>>389734627
Any psp experts here? My game cant start 80020148
>>
File: doggu faitu.jpg (281KB, 1600x1200px) Image search: [Google]
doggu faitu.jpg
281KB, 1600x1200px
>>389734627
>games
>piss easy to hack
>novel back before smart phones
>lots of good games, including PS1 games on the go
Imagine if they stuck a phone modem in one

Meanwhile the Vita came out and promised a "console like experience" on the go. Problem is tat console games are expensive to make and no one wants to buy $60 handheld games. Devs didn't want to invest in it and Sony didn't support it

Meanwhile the 3DS focused on quality games over power and sold like hot cakes. Not as much as the DS, but that's because the Brain Age casual audience moved to smart phones
>>
>>389744653
its still really popular, just not on the vita.

>>389744775
on handhelds it actually was.
>>
>>389744925
>Initial D Street Stage
My fucking nigger. What a great game.
>>
>>389744904
btw here's my psp spec

psp 3000. 6.20 pro B5
>>
>>389744892
Monster Hunter sold FIVE MILLION times on the PSP.

Its literally the most selling PSP game you fucking idiot.
>>
>>389745057
>6.20
get 6.61 LME 2.3 pleb
>>
>>389744925
You forgot to mention games
>>
>>389745081
Well jeez sorry, i just found my psp. Also will that fix the error?
>>
no shitty locked in sd cards
>>
>>389745183
not sure, but you're using an outdated firmware and an outdated cfw, so it very well could.
>>
>>389745304
My psp havent been online ever. Last time I use it, it was a breeze.

Also any link where i can update it? Also my psp is using 6.20 pro b5 permanent patch
>>
>>389745304
Also last time i use it was 5 years ago
>>
>>389734627
Piracy
>>
>>389744935
>on handheld it was

you are talking from your ass

both GTA games sold much more than Monster Hunter. Monster hunter games didnt sold 1 million combined europe and usa for each title.

Gran Turismo game alone sold 8 million
>>
>>389746035
GTA hasnt sold 5mil and 3,8mil copies on the PSP.

MH is literally the most selling game and series on the PSP.
Gran Tourismo has NOT outsold it on the PSP either.
>>
>>389734627
The Vita failed to gain much support from major western devs and had a more cost-prohibitive barrier of entry (still does), on top of a market migrating towards mobile devices.
>>
>>389734627
that is a rugged looking PSP
Is it a clone console, or is it an overseas revision I have never seen?
>>
>>389746572
>tfw ordered my chink microsd adapter for like $2.50 and it's fine
If you go legal and put up with Sony's shit, it may be cost prohibitive, but yes the ship has already sailed.

At least I don't have to worry about my MC shitting the bed, now just my power cable/port since 1000
>>
>>389746670
That's the Street model. A cheapo piece of shit
>>
>>389746035
Gran Autismo was total shit on the PSP
>>
>>389746759
He means development costs. It costs devs a lot more to make a game on the Vita; it's literally too powerful
>>
>>389746782
If all you want is to play PSP games it's fine

Specifically if you don't need wifi (which you probably don't anymore) or stereo (headphones are fine)

Granted you won't find it easily without importing
>>
>>389746954
wifi is good if you want to move games around through FTP.

and honestly regular PSPs shouldnt be hard or expensive to get.
>>
>>389739063
Not to mention you needed to buy a data plan from AT&T if you were buying it new, and instead of SD cards it used proprietary ones that were expensive as hell
>>
>>389746782
>>389746954

Thanks anons. Im a PSP collector, but for some reason I thought the Street was a european, or a bare bones version of the PSP Go. Didnt even know it was an economy version of the 1k is what it looks like now.

Thanks!
>>
>>389747193
the vita launched with a 3Gless version afaik.

the PSP also had proprietary memory cards. basically sony was always hitler, but back then it was easier to make adapters because the PSP sticks were so huge.
>>
>>389734627
it actually had games and not shovelware rub your console drpgs
>>
>>389738247
>Because with the PSP, people were open to idea of SONY going up against Nintendo in the handheld market.

>With the Vita, people realised it was pointless.
Yes, because Sony and their 3rd party pals suck at making portable games. No one really wants
>X PS3 game but with worse graphics and less stuff!
or
>XBLA indie game that's been ported to every console in existence!
Whereas Nintendo makes portable games that actually take advantage of their platform, and creates new IPs that feel just as well-made and thought out as their console IPs.

The one thing the PSP and Vita excel at is JRPG and VNs, many of which either never got released in the US or got very small releases. I spent a few years in Japan (just got back a few months ago) and the Vita is far more popular over there.
>>
Because the Memory cards were priced relatively similar to other memory cards at the time.
>>
>>389747829
the vita is still pretty damn unpopular in japan considering everything.
>>
>>389748256
Yeah, but I'm willing to bet within 2-3 years it'll be completely supplanted by the Switch, because the switch fills the same niche as the Vita. Especially if games like that one 2hu game and Fate/Extella do/did well.
>>
>>389748582
It also got Disgaea, which has been such a Sony handheld franchise for the last decade.

Only thing the Switch is missing is MHW right now to fully appeal to the japanese market, but that might change if they decide to make a World Portable Ver. at some point.
>>
>>389734627
>Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas Stories
>Metal Gear Solid: Tactical Portable Operations
>Gran Turismo Portable

on Earth 2, PS Vita was like the ultimate gaming system
>>
>>389749770
lol wut?
>>
>>389750973
>hello mom i cant read
>>
>>389749770
>Metal Gear Solid: Tactical
lol wut?
>>
>>389751074
Nigga reading is hard
>>
>>389749770
>Gran Turismo Portable
lol wut?
>>
File: 1278214084570.jpg (4KB, 250x193px) Image search: [Google]
1278214084570.jpg
4KB, 250x193px
>>389749770
The people on earth 2 must be the most happy people in the universe
>>
Hacking it was piss easy.
>>
>>389749770
Please join us in the real fucking world
>>
I thought it must have been the atrociously expensive proprietary memory cards, but longtime Vita owners keep saying it was more than that.
>>
>>389734627
Piracy, good games and no proprietary SD cards that cost $50
>>
File: 157810-Gran_Turismo_(USA)-1.jpg (50KB, 450x772px) Image search: [Google]
157810-Gran_Turismo_(USA)-1.jpg
50KB, 450x772px
>>389749770
>>Gran Turismo Portable
?
>>
>>389744925
>Not as much as the DS, but that's because the Brain Age casual audience moved to smart phones

Damn, you're right. But there's only so much you can do on a device without physical buttons, even if you only play casual games.
>>
>>389734627
Both DS and PSP were born on a time where smartphones weren't a thing.

That's why handhelds like those won't be as big as they were if released nowadays. A simple portable gaming machine can't compete against that huge market
>>
>>389744925
It also never got the flood of one shot third party titles the DS got. Ignoring the Nintendo titles, it's also a bunch of JRPGs and a mountain of remakes.
>>
>>389734627
actual support and marketing, completely unlike the Vita, which was vaguely marketed really early on and then got fuck all support from Sony

>>389735575
they weren't, but you weren't expecting to store whole games on the card
shit, the PSP Go being download only was weird as shit when that came out
Thread posts: 126
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.