[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Does Breath of the Wild (surprisingly) have the most coherent

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 2

File: BtfO.jpg (80KB, 564x379px) Image search: [Google]
BtfO.jpg
80KB, 564x379px
Does Breath of the Wild (surprisingly) have the most coherent theme in a Zelda game since Ocarina of Tme and Majora's Mask?

OoT: growing up, taking on responsibility.
MM: grief and loss.
Breath of the Wild: resurrecting the failures of the past so you can mend them and secure a better future.

You could even say that's true for the design philosophy of the game in general. This is a game that was inspired by the oldest Zelda game, but with all the old imperfections made perfect. That's also what happens in the story.
>>
>>389731242
I liked the theme of WW too: moving away from the mistakes of the past towards a new future, which might be difficult and harsh
>>
>>389731362
Wind Waker was about rebirth and accepting change. It wasn't really making out like the past was a mistake, it just mournfully said goodbye to the past and moved on. In a sense, your grandma in Wind Waker could be said to represent previous eras of Zelda games, with Link waving a tearful goodbye but then being sucked into a new adventure.
>>
>>389731519
Which leads me to the question, what's the theme behind TP? I honestly can't think about it.
Interdimentional friendship? Following your destiny?
>>
>>389731242
Actually I don't even know the theme of twilight princess. The entire game is an incoherent mess
>>
What's the theme of SS? Love? Fate?
>>
>>389731762
I dunno. Zelda games stopped having themes after Wind Waker, and Wind Waker wasn't very good in that respect either.
>>
File: Link.gif (476KB, 500x255px) Image search: [Google]
Link.gif
476KB, 500x255px
>>389731762
>>389731778
The best thing I can come up with is something along the lines of judging others.
>Wolf link is feared, Human link is adored.
>Yeto is feared by the Zora, but not link.
>Midna hides in links shadow because she doesn't want to scare humans or be judged by her own people.
>Zant appears to be the big bad but Ganon actually is.
>Midna was actually tall and beautiful and not short and impish.
>>
>>389731820
Probably fate, as in it shows how things go cycling in the Zelda universe. Love is more the reason why that fate happens.
>>
>>389732169
Eh how about transformation? Does that fit?
>>
>>389731762
I always thought TP's theme was struggling on for the sake of others despite the sheer bullshit thrown your way because of it.

>>389731820
Pretty much acceptance of the faults of your ancestors and working to minimise the damage they caused.
E.g. Zelda, Link and Ganon are all locked in an eternal melee a trois because Hylia wanted to fuck the original Link and Demise hated both of them enough that after his death in SS he reincarnates as Ganon just to spite them.

But then, looking back they never really followed a theme aside from adventure and accepting the responsibility of your own part in un-fucking the world.
>>
>>389732169
So something like "Facade in our lives" or "appearances might mislead you".
Kinda weak as a theme, not mundane but not really deep either
>>
>>389732424
Isn't that theme more fitting with BOTW? Accepting responsibility and fixing hyrule or something
>>
>>389732424
>I always thought TP's theme was struggling on for the sake of others despite the sheer bullshit thrown your way because of it.
That could apply to most Zelda games. In almost all of them you do stuff because other people tell you to do that.
>>
>>389732169
Twilight Princess is about being ruled by your fear, what the fuck guys
>>
>>389732534
Examples?
>>
>>389732534
You could argue that that's a theme in all Zelda games. Link is the bearer of the triforce of courage, after all. Overcoming fear is something Link does on a regular basis.
>>
>>389732606
>Ganon's fear of death and being sealed away
>Zant's fear of being weak, disrespected
>Midna's fear and distrust of humans and in the ending giving in to fear causing her to shatter the mirror
>>
>>389731242
Yeah, some said the story was bad but I really liked it. I think some people just associate cinematic = good story and BotW is the opposite to that. It works even better in the Japanese version because Link writes the stuff himself which makes it more personal. No idea why they didn't translate it properly.
>>
>>389732491
Yeah, especially since the second DLC seems to be exactly that. Going around with Zelda to just start the healing process.
But in BotW, Link already accepted his role and it was more Zelda that couldn't accept hers until Link was basically dead after trying to save her.
Just about the inly thing that muddies it, in TP everybody suffers and Link especially since he's just about the only guy that can really help.

>>389732514
Agreed.
>>
>>389732638
But that's a player thing. Twilight Princess is thematically focused on pessimism and fear, which is most obvious in the characters cowering when they were spirits, such as the soldiers in Hyrule Castle. Midna is ruled by fear before she meets Zelda. Meanwhile, Link, Zelda, and eventually Colin all inspire hope through their courage and selfless acts, which is how Midna changes over the course of the game, but in the end, she still gives in to her fears and pessimism that the two realms can never coexist peacefully.
>>
We should make a distinction between themes of a story and themes of a game. For instance, Ocarina of Time is about growing up and taking on responsibility because the game is explicitly about the development and burden of a hero. However, the story of Ocarina of time isn't about music, even though there's an ocarina in the title and you learn songs, and music is a theme of the game.

Ocarina of Time, Majora's Mask, Wind Waker and Breath of the Wild all had story themes. Twilight Princess and whatever don't. They just have general themes. "Twilight" is not a story theme.
>>
>>389732974
I don't think anybody is arguing that the main themes of each game are supposed to be represented by the names, but Twilight Princess has a far more relevant name than Ocarina of Time, for example. Twilight being literally Midna's realm, but also representing a sad, morose, pessimistic feeling.
>>
>>389731906
Wind Waker is the most thematically coherent Zelda game and it runs so deep that it's tied to the game's very cultural reception, with its markedly different tone and visual style being met with disdain from fans of the N64 titles.

The entire game is built around this philosophy: live for the future. The game is laced with metaphors and parables that develop this theme and support it with examples. Symbolic gameplay mechanics are juxtaposed against dialogue and storylines that illustrate their significance. You progress through certain dungeons by using companions who fly through the air and plant trees as the storyline delves into the themes of growing wings and scattering seeds.
>>
I
WANT
TO FUCK
MIDNA

I WANNA FUCK MIDNA

NOT TALL MIDNA

HOT IMP MIDNA

SPLIT HER IN TWO ON MY DICK
>>
Why do people so poorly understand the symbolism and themes in these games? It's not exactly obscure or difficult to analyze..
>>
>>389732817
I don't think many people besdies shitposters say the story is outright bad, just that there wasn't enough of it
>>
>>389733331
Okay, tell us what Majora's Mask is about in a short and compelling post with references to things in the game, faggot.
>>
>>389733851
Majora's Mask is a game about a time crunch because it was made under a time crunch

not him btw
Thread posts: 29
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.