[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Are there any games that will teach me Japanese?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 54
Thread images: 9

File: 1421735618623.jpg (8KB, 229x173px) Image search: [Google]
1421735618623.jpg
8KB, 229x173px
Are there any games that will teach me Japanese?
>>
File: 1504100744988.jpg (86KB, 600x507px) Image search: [Google]
1504100744988.jpg
86KB, 600x507px
>>389723941
no
>>
>>>/int/79256625/
>>
File: 1504114544642.png (137KB, 300x200px) Image search: [Google]
1504114544642.png
137KB, 300x200px
>>389723941
nope
>>
Yeah, thousands.

Oh, wait, you meant "what games will hold my hand through the entire process because I can't think for myself". In that case, none. Nobody has even made a text book capable of that, why would you expect a game to do it?

Language learning is all about what you put into it. If you expect to just passively sit there and get good, you're going to have a hard time.
>>
>>389724185
>If you expect to just passively sit there and get good, you're going to have a hard time.
but that's literally what babies do...
>>
>>389724270
And it takes them years, and only gives them a grasp of speaking and listening, reading always requires study.

Children are constantly reinforced as they attempt to make sounds for the first time. They're actively taught, they just don't remember it because they're fucking 2.
>>
>>389724383
>reading always requires study
Not in Japan it doesn't. Their language is purely phonetic. What you read is what you say, every time. Kids in Japan read it perfectly at age of 5.
>>
>>389724496
>Kids in Japan read it perfectly at age of 5.
Oh yeah, I forgot about those magical genetics that perfectly transmit kanji from mother to child.

Kids can't read shit. They have to be taught kana, you think anyone looks at a word for the first time and knows what it says? It's all just scribbles until someone tells you the phonetics.
>>
>>389724185
>Yeah, thousands.
Post the thousands of video games then, faggot.
>>
>>389724657
>>Post the thousands of video games then, faggot.
Google any game you want. Does it have a Japanese version? You can probably learn from it!

I'd recommend games that were actually made in Japan though, E>J translations can be a bit spotty and use unnatural language.
>>
>>389723941
Why can't Japanese people learn English instead? Everything should be in English. English will be the lingua franca FOREVER.
>>
>>389724797
Read the OP more carefully. He said "teach me Japanese" as in something specifically designed to function as a simulated instructed. He didn't say "learn Japanese from," if he did you would be welcomed to be a pedantic cunt and pretend you're answering him while being completely useless. At least learn English before posting here.
>>
File: 1478996921601.gif (723KB, 640x360px) Image search: [Google]
1478996921601.gif
723KB, 640x360px
>>389724945
Holy shit incinerated!
>>
>>389724945
"learn Japanese from" and "teach me Japanese" are the same basic statement. This isn't rocket science, which is why I understand your confusion, being a braindead child who can only understand the concept of being "taught" in a classroom environment. Self-learning and self-teaching are the same concept, right? There's no real difference between the terms other than your own misleading preconceptions.
>>
>>389725081
We get it, you're a boring pedantic teenager and you misread the OP. Stop trying to damage control and just fuck of.
>>
>>389725303
Learn what words mean, you fucking manchild. You can be "taught" by a book, you can be "taught" by a movie, the idea that you have to have your hand held to learn something is madness propagated only by children like yourself who have never even tried to learn outside of a classroom.
>>
File: 51733130_p0.jpg (156KB, 974x688px) Image search: [Google]
51733130_p0.jpg
156KB, 974x688px
>>389723941
Slime Forest Adventure
>>
>>389725446
Learning something through studying alone and learning something by being guided through the process by an experienced person (like a social animal) are different experiences, those words mean different things. If OP asked for simple simple game to help him self-learn Japanese you'd have a point, but he didn't, so you don't.
>>
Any Japanese game + a dictionary + a grammar guide. I REALLY wouldn't recommend starting with something that's not compatible with a text hooker, though. You should also definitely spend a few months building a vocabulary base via anki first.

>>389724270

Babies have developing brains that absorb information like a sponge. It also takes babies 12~ years to each an adolescent's level of vocabulary.
>>
>>389725660
>>Learning something through studying alone and learning something by being guided through the process by an experienced person (like a social animal) are different experiences, those words mean different things.
No, they don't. The word "teach" does not inherently imply guidance by another person. You can be taught by your experiences, you don't have to be instructed.

Now, if he had said "Are there any games that will teach me Japanese from zero?", then your autism might have a point. Again, you're slowing a lack of understanding of language learning, games could easily be stretched into your rigid definition of a make-believe term by stating "A game guides you through the process of correct sentence construction thanks to the writing of an experienced native speaker". Japanese is a broad concept, there are lots of different things you can learn from any random game. Obviously, they're an awful choice for teaching you the absolute basics like how to pronounce characters.
>>
>>389725940
>No, they don't. The word "teach" does not inherently imply guidance by another person. You can be taught by your experiences, you don't have to be instructed.
You're right about this, I was mistaken.
>>
>>389723941
"Koe" by Strawberry Games seems promising. They released a demo. Plays like a bootleg Persona 4, you're a transfer student at a Japanese high school, and you find another world with monsters that you beat in turn-based combat, except you use kanji characters as attacks.
>>
File: 1475340594516.png (1MB, 1601x750px) Image search: [Google]
1475340594516.png
1MB, 1601x750px
No.
>>
>>389726206
Games like that will teach you less than nothing, all they do is actively waste your time and turn learning into a chore. The novelty will wear off in days, and then you're left with a low quality game that you're playing just for the sake of something you could be doing 10 times more efficiently with another program.

Games can be a fantastic learning tool because lots of them allow you to control the text at your own pace, and come with voice acting to get past new kanji faster. But they're not, and never will be, for beginners. You have to have some grasp of the language first, which will go a lot faster if you actually study.
>>
>>389726206
Was this the first actual response? there were like 20 other posts that preceded this.
>>
File: My_Japanese_Coach_Coverart.png (93KB, 256x227px) Image search: [Google]
My_Japanese_Coach_Coverart.png
93KB, 256x227px
>>389723941
Of course not.
>>
>>389726206
2/2 They took down the demo cause apparently it's not reflective of the development updates they've applied anymore. Maybe you can still find that old demo floating around though.
>>
There's a Kanji training "game" on Steam that I used to memorize Hiragana nad Katakana
>>
>>389723941
Koe (声) on Steam looks like it will be good.
>>
>>389726525
No, Slime Forest Adventure was suggested.
>>
>>389726530
I think I played this one. It takes fucking forever to start learning anything more than basic hiragana/katakana and barely uses kanji. No way to force it to use kanji instead of hiragana and no way to skip their worthless lessons to get past the babby phase.
>>
>>389726520
>"You have to have some grasp of the language first"

Play the demo, the demo offers 4 levels of Japanese understanding from none at all to a lot. It also gives you a cheat sheet with hiragana and katakana. The game has a built in text to speech voice (might not be perfect, hopefully the devs may add in real voices). And you can hover your mouse over Japanese text to get romaji and an English description.
>>
>>389726964
Play the kanken games on the DS instead, they're actually good for writing.

>>389727001
I'm talking about real games here, not knock-off trash designed to appeal solely to weebs who are too lazy to actually put in any effort.

All of those things are bad. I looked at the screenshots, and stuff like having a big sheet of all the kanji you've "learned" is just the worst fucking system I could possibly imagine, and it's clearly designed by this Pajeet to give the illusion of learning more than actual learning. Link the demo if you find it, I could use a laugh.
>>
>>389724649
Just because your parents failed you doesn't it mean it's the norm.
>>
>>389723941
If you want vocabulary Pokemon's pretty good since everything is in hiragana.
>>
>>389727225
>>Just because your parents failed you doesn't it mean it's the norm.
So you're telling me that your parents never had to tell you how to pronounce or read a word? Wow, must be nice.

I wonder why my kindergarten had all those lessons where the teacher would hold up cards with each letter written out, or why anyone bothered to sing the alphabet.
>>
>>389725081
>"learn Japanese from" and "teach me Japanese" are the same basic statement.
No... no, they really are not.

I can learn Japanese from Nanashi no Game, but it is not a game that will teach me Japanese.
>>
>>389728269
Still thinking this
>>
having a hard time remembering past and negative conjugations

like when they come up in something i may read i'll know what they are but i'm shit out of luck if i want to tell you i ate something good
>>
>>389729278
うまいものを食べた

Just gotta practice. Thank God conjugations are relatively few and consistent.
>>
>tfw too retarded to learn Japanese
>>
File: Capture2.png (747KB, 813x632px) Image search: [Google]
Capture2.png
747KB, 813x632px
>>389723941
After your done with all of the babby stuff, VNs are pretty great for long term reading practice.
>generally very long
>text-hookable
>visuals allow you to understand events even if you don't 100% understand the text
it works pretty well.
>>
>>389723941
Get a textbook instead, you stupid shit.

And those threads are getting really boring
>>
>>389724649
>Being this obtuse
Not a Jap, but in my country kids are expected to learn reading at age of 5. I wouldn't really be surprised if Japanese had the exact same education pattern, given their fetish about schooling.

Not my fault kindgergarden in your country is about running around and drooling.
>>
Koe whenever that comes out, it is made for that exact reason (and just being a good game)
>>
File: 1504011021702.png (209KB, 718x831px) Image search: [Google]
1504011021702.png
209KB, 718x831px
I am slowly but surely learning japanese little by little.

Shit is hard but it is fun.
>>
>>389730517
You know nothing about Japanese. Kanji study takes them like 10 years, the faster kids can master the basics by 10 or so, but none of them can read even close to fluently at 5.
>>
>>389730621
You don't need kanji to read when you're five.

Media in Japan adjusts kanji use based on target audience. Sometimes they won't even use katakana if the target children are small enough.

Haven't you ever seen a shonen manga is furigana over the harder kanji? You learn kanji progressively throughout your schooling, but that doesn't mean Japanese kids are illiterate until they graduate.
>>
>>389730621
>Kanji study takes them like 10 years
Different anon and I've had to learn Japanese during my studies. Took me 3 semesters to get fluent in reading. That's 17 months counting with summer break, which I also spend on study. And the real barrier was (and still sometimes is) vocabulary, not the way how it's written.
So nice knowing YOU are the one knowing jack shit about Japanese and repeating old memes about "high school students still being unable to read newspaper".
>>
>>389730868
>>You don't need kanji to read when you're five.
You need them to read fluently, though. That's like saying a 3 year old is fluent in America because he can read "my very hungry catterpillar".

>>389730904
No shit, you're an adult. Kanji took me 3 months, I'm just telling you what the Japanese curriculum is, when you aren't solely focused on reading, it takes longer.

There are plenty of high school students in Japan who are too stupid to read newspapers, hell, there are adults that get by with the bare minimum and couldn't read most of a newspaper.
>>
>>389730904
>I studied really hard for 17 months and learned to speak a language!

wow, congratulations on proving literally nothing. you know jap kids do other shit in school than learn kanji all day right? you're a fucking adult dumbass.
>>
>>389731041
>You need them to read fluently, though
No, you don't.

Not even Japanese adults will know every kanji that might come their way. Many are uncommon or used in specific fields, or an author may use an unconventional reading, among several other possible scenarios.

Would a 30-year old cook not be fluent if he can't read a treatise on microbiology?

>That's like saying a 3 year old is fluent in America because he can read "my very hungry catterpillar".
You're conflating kanji with vocabulary. They aren't the same.

The way kanji is used and taught in Japanese has no English parallel. It's a completely foreign concept.

You really don't know anything about this language.
>>
>>389731540
>>Not even Japanese adults will know every kanji that might come their way.
True, but they all have a baseline. The adult baseline is different from a child's, in much the same way as a child might have a vocab of 10k, while an adult might have a vocab of 20-30k. In kanji terms, it's very unlikely you'll find an adult who doesn't know at least 1600-1700 kanji, but very common to find children who know less than 1000.

Some level of kanji competency is required, and that's the entire reason they test the joyo. Kanji are at least correlated with vocab, it's probably possible to game the system and achieve a 30k vocab while only knowing 1.5k kanji, but in general, someone with a higher vocab knowledge knows more kanji.
Thread posts: 54
Thread images: 9

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.