[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Do Not Play BDO

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 4

File: 20dollarcomputergame.jpg (27KB, 450x358px) Image search: [Google]
20dollarcomputergame.jpg
27KB, 450x358px
Hi there. Heard of BDO? Black Desert Online? Whether you have or not, I encourage you in the strongest terms not to have anything to do with the game. For one simple reason:
Black Desert Online Is Pay To Win

Before I get into why and how it is pay2win, let me establish a simple fact.

The definition of pay to win is the ability to spend real life currency to obtain an advantage (of any kind) over a player who opts not to spend real life currency.
This includes so-called "pay for convenience" features like XP boosts. This will be important later on.

Now, how BDO is pay to win.

First of all, in order to grasp the significance of BDO's pay to win system, we need to understand the nature of the game. BDO is primarily a PvP game, gear based game. The 'end game' of BDO is mostly Node Wars, which are PvP fights between guilds. There is no PvE end-game. In terms of PvP efficiency, gear makes up 90%, skill makes up 10%, unless you are playing Ninja or Kunoichi, in which case, gear makes up about 75% and skill 25%. But I am not here to talk about class balance.

Continued in next post...
>>
>>389723309
Sounds relatively simple right? Well, no, not so much. In the grand tradition of all eastern MMOs, this enhancement process has a chance to fail. After +5 for armor and +7 for weapons, you can fail enhancement, losing your black stone or concentrated black stone. But that's not all, after you hit +DUO with a piece of gear, if you fail the enhancement, your gear will also degrade by a level, requiring you to succeed TWICE in order to advance.

The games community has an extremely in-depth way of stacking fail attempts (every fail increases the chance the next one will succeed, up to a point. Usually about 30-20% of success) to offset this. Due to the fact that equipment degrades after DUO, the VAST majority of the time and silver you have will be spent on concentrated black stones trying to upgrade, only for it to fail and leave you further back than you were before.

And if that STILL wasn't enough, if you fail an enhancement, then you damage the maximum durability of the item. After an item reaches 20 durability, you can't attempt to enhance it any more until you repair its max durability, which requires either a copy of the item or an item called a Memory Fragment. Gear has a maximum durability of 100 across the board; copies of the item will repair 10 durability, memory fragments will repair a varying amount based on the items rarity.
>>
>>389723321
The ultimate consequence of this is that you require a MASSIVE, HUGE, UNRELENTINGLY LARGE amount of silver to spend on memory fragments and concentrated stones to get ANYWHERE in the game. At this point in its life time, "average" gear is considered to be all TRI gear including boss gear, which is EXTREMELY difficult and expensive to get. After having played since launch, I have never once ever gotten a single piece of boss gear, and I attend every world boss that I can.

AND IF THAT STILL WASN'T ENOUGH, IF YOU ATTEMPT TO ENHANCE AN ACCESSORY (earrings, rings, necklace, or belt) AND YOU FAIL, IT STRAIGHT UP DESTROYS THE ITEM UNLESS YOU BLOW EVEN MORE MILLIONS ON CRON STONES WHICH IS COMPLETELY UNPRACTICAL.

So what does all this mean? To put it succinctly, the way that the games progression and enhancement system works means that you NEED to have a large amount of steady silver income to get anything done in this game.

So how do you get silver? Pretty simple. You pony up real money for it.

Let me explain.

>>
>>389723357
In BDO, there are only a few ways of getting silver on the scale that you need. I will list some of them briefly, in no particular order:

Active Fishing (probably the slowest, but surest)
Grinding particular enemies (such as pirates or sausans)
AFK Processing
Being an Auction House Hero (basically playing the MP)
Worker Empire Crates

You're probably saying: "So what's the problem? Get out there and do them". Well, here's the issue: You can't do ANY activity that generates a decent amount of silver without spending real money.

Active Fishing? You need to buy inventory slots for real money to carry enough fish, otherwise you waste all your time going back and forth from the port to hotspots.
Grinding? You NEED at least four T1 pets to do this at any speed. Without them, you will make less than 1/10th what someone with pets will in the same time. This is because pets auto-loot for you.
AFK Processing? You need both inventory slots and weight limit increases, OR to buy the costume that allows you to process from your storage in a town.
Auction House Hero? You have to have a value pack, otherwise you throw all your profits away on a bullshit marketplace tax that paying players don't have. Don't count on getting one off the marketplace either. They are rarely posted, and when they are, MP bots immediately snipe them.
Worker Empire Crates? Given that you have to process out of Trent to get the max payout, you HAVE to purchase additional worker lodgings for real money. There are not enough lodging buildings in treant otherwise. Also you have to grind up to master 2 trade, which is easily the most tedious task in the game, by a LARGE margin.

>>
>>389723424
That isn't even the end of it. Wallet warriors also have access to costumes that increase their XP gained, meaning they will always be higher level than you, which has a huge impact in PvP. They have access to Artisan Memories, which TRIPLES the amount of durability a Memory Fragment will repair, cutting their enhancement costs by a TON. They have access to costumes that increase their amity gain, that hide their names in the overworld so they can be camouflaged, ect.

Perhaps you are wondering if there is any other way to gain these advantages. Well, yes and no. Outfits can be sold on the marketplace, but you'll never get one. Like value packs, they are instantly sniped by bots, and you cannot pre-order them like you can other items. Same deal with pets. Like boss gear, I have never, EVER won one off the marketplace, and I have played since launch. You can get +200 weight limit for loyalties (currency you get for logging in every day, 100 per day), but wait, they cost 3500 for every 50 weight, and you can only get 200. Wallet warriors can buy more than you, and they don't have to wait over 4 months to get all of them. You can also buy inventory slots...but they are also prohibitively expensive, forcing you to log on every single day for over a YEAR to get less than half what a wallet warrior can get in an instant.

>>
>>389723465
To sum all of this up: BDO is pay 2 win because not only can you buy advantages over other players, but the game is set up such that you REQUIRE those advantages to even play it. You NEED those advantages or you will NEVER, EVER get anywhere in this game. You will NEVER get past TRI, in fact you probably won't even get to TRI levels of gear because you have no access to any significant silver income without ponying up real cash, and they are almost never sold on the MP now, and when they are, they are immediately snapped up by MP bots. You can preorder them...but preorders for even +0 base levels of boss gear are cresting 800 million each while I write this, which is a massive amount for someone who does not shell out real money. After playing since launch, I doubt that I have ever made 800 million TOTAL, being completely free to play.

Do not attempt to play this game unless you are willing to invest roughly $300 making your character viable with inventory increases, weight increases, outfits and 4 pets, and are willing to throw an additional $100-200 a month at the devs for Artisan Memories and other shit.

The devs have proven that they do not give a shit about what is fair and right in the game over and over again. If you think this is bad, you should see the Korean version. It's even worse over there. The only thing that Pearl Abyss and Kakao care about is how much they can leech out of your wallet. After experiencing all of this, I honestly believe that they are worse than EA in that regard, something which is HARD to do.

>>
>>389723514
P.S. An update recently added a 'Complete Now' feature to all worker tasks, allowing people to pay pearls (cash shop currency) to instantly finish their order. This lets wallet warriors directly convert real money into silver by instantly completing a billion worker crate orders and selling them to the trade NPCs. There truly is no limit to the pay 2 winning in this game, and you should disregard any moron who tells you otherwise.
>>
File: 1382508005425.png (18KB, 240x200px) Image search: [Google]
1382508005425.png
18KB, 240x200px
>>
>>389724060
The insidiousness, convoluted methods by which BDO conceals its P2W nature necessitates a novel to explain it.
>>
Thanks OP. Not gonna bother.
>>
>>389724285
Your welcome. I'm glad at least one person has been saved from this cancerous game.
>>
I just wish they'd kept the character creator free and standalone.
>>
Thanks for info OP, these levels of greed are disgusting. Also how many hours have youplayed this game?
>>
File: 1498321018959.jpg (126KB, 592x723px) Image search: [Google]
1498321018959.jpg
126KB, 592x723px
Kill yourself OP, advertising degenerate
>>
and then the shill resets his router, and starts arguing with himself as though anybody has even heard of this game enough to have an opinion on it. at some point he'll drop some epic "game with REAL graphics" tier engineered meme which he will use for the OP post of every thread after this one.
>>
>>389724060
damn, must have been nice to be able to use that image
>>
>>389723309
Thanks op nice read
>>
>>389725159
you are literally a retarded faggot
>>
File: 1381634605055.png (62KB, 188x157px) Image search: [Google]
1381634605055.png
62KB, 188x157px
>>389725780
You have no idea
Thread posts: 19
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.