[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What do you like in a 2D platformer and what do you not like?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 6

File: super-mario-brothers-world-1.jpg (67KB, 625x302px) Image search: [Google]
super-mario-brothers-world-1.jpg
67KB, 625x302px
What do you like in a 2D platformer and what do you not like?
>>
>>389712550
jumping
>>
i dislike any type of coin collecting
>>
>>389712669

Busting open a chest in Shovel Knight is really satisfying, though.
>>
>>389712550
I like
>short, concise level design
>nuanced mechanics
>optional powerups
>lots of obstacle variety

I dislike
>autoscrolling levels
>forced powerup segments
>levels that take forever to play through
>bosses

for reference, my favorite platformers are smb3 and umihara kawase shun
>>
Platforms you control with the D-Pad
>>
>>389712550
good art design
>>
>>389712876
>doesn't like autoscrolling levels
>didn't like bridge zone
>>
I dislike autoscrolling and technically not autoscrolling but the entire level is on a platform moving by itselff
>>
>>389712990
you're right, I don't
only sonic game I really love is 2
>>
>>389712550
>exploration/secrets
>unique concepts or gimmicks for levels
Dislike
>timers
>limited lives
>art design that confuses player (eg. can't tell what's a platform)

>>389712876
Umihara Kawase has to be one of the most underrated game series out there, I love every one of them I've played. Love how unique it feels
>>
Momentum.
Any platformer that doesn't have it is garbage.
>>
>>389713291
>art design that confuses player (eg. can't tell what's a platform)
this, but specifically any game that doesn't give platforms well defined boundaries for the sake of aesthetic design, donkey kong country is a good example.
>>
>>389713207
Shit taste
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qYJkol00JCE
>>
>>389712550
controls gotta be tight
>>
I fucking hate
>Contemporary indie trash that uses 'retro' style as an excuse for cheap and lazy programming
>'Hi-def' graphics that make the game look like a fucking Angry Birds mobile game

What do I like? I dunno I'm too busy complaining about stuff I hate on the internet
>>
>>389712550
This is actually a useful thread for me as I'm making a platformer from scratch right now...

>>389713401
Care to elaborate? I'm making a ninja platformer that makes use of momentum, like sprinting to gain the speed to ramp off of a slope and cross a gap. I hope to include more advanced physics like acrobatics (holding A or D in the air to rotate, align yourself with horizontal poles to swing boost off of them, make sure you land on your feet, etc) and projectiles with drop curvature (can arc your shiruken over walls to hit unseen enemies) and somewhat challenging AI (enemies throw shiruken at the rope you're swinging on to drop you into a pit).
Aside from movement-based challenges though I'm not sure how to make the game interesting or difficult.
>>
File: maxresdefault (1).jpg (57KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault (1).jpg
57KB, 1280x720px
Was he /ourguy?/
>>
>>389714037
>Aside from movement-based challenges though I'm not sure how to make the game interesting or difficult.
open up shortcuts and bonuses for players who have mastered control of their momentum
>>
File: 2D_PLATFORMERS.jpg (284KB, 3000x900px) Image search: [Google]
2D_PLATFORMERS.jpg
284KB, 3000x900px
good physics, level desin, and fun powerups or enemies
>>
>>389714319
super meat boy is shit, also
>metroid
>difficult platforming
>>
>>389714260
So for example:
>shipyard/warehouse level
>have to infiltrate and kill/past goons to get to room with quest item
>normal route of busting through front door and confronting the goons
>alternate way of climbing up some subtle part of the level design that lets you enter via a skylight window
>crawl around in the catwalks and cut ropes to drop crates on enemies, thinning some out before they realize where you are
>as you exit the building after getting quest item you see some ammo/bandages were inside the crates that dropped and smashed open
Something like that?
>>
>>389714540
yeah, that sounds like a cool level
>>
>>389712550
Freedom of movement. Even though Sonic has branching paths, it feels extremely restricted in terms of movement and interactivity
>>
File: super mario level.gif (20KB, 2552x224px) Image search: [Google]
super mario level.gif
20KB, 2552x224px
>>389714037
Play Super Mario Bros 1, 3, or World.
Then play like Thomas was Alone.

Momentum is basically what makes a platformer interesting and is usually the main thing that forces players to think ahead and the keep the game moving along.
Without it, the game moves along at only one speed, since you're either moving at max speed, or not at all. It's boring, and there's nothing dynamic about the game. Moving at different speeds forces you to react to the game, and mastery of the physics makes the game rewarding to play, like Umihara Kawase. Next time you play Super Mario World, consider how often you're pressing back on the D-pad in order to control your speed when running through levels.
I have never played a game with enjoyable platforming that didn't have momentum, unless it had some other gimmick to make up for it, like VVVVV.
>>
File: utopia.jpg (184KB, 1600x900px) Image search: [Google]
utopia.jpg
184KB, 1600x900px
>>389714895
>>
File: 1406754177010.jpg (35KB, 460x276px) Image search: [Google]
1406754177010.jpg
35KB, 460x276px
I hate every old side scroller that doesn't allow me to save
>>
>>389714895
>it feels extremely restricted in terms of movement and interactivity
this is only true at first, but as you play the game you become accustomed to controlling sonic's momentum
>>
>>389712550
>like
mechanics being introduced on a slowly sharpening difficulty slope, rewards for testing out exploration skills, easter eggs
>dislike
plot, text or dialog in general, densely designed tutorials, graphics being more about flash than communicating the mechanic they represent.
>>
>>389714898
excellent, thanks
my game isn't as "floaty" as smb but kind of has the same amount of forward momentum that requires you to throttle the controls if you want to not overshoot a key point
Thread posts: 30
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.