[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why were Sonic 1's levels off-putting?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 2

File: Sonic.jpg (51KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
Sonic.jpg
51KB, 480x360px
Why were Sonic 1's levels off-putting?
>>
Poor level design, plain and simple.
>>
Because they were still experimenting with how they thought Sonic's gamplay should be, and therefore, had difficulty deciding how much speed and how much platforming should be in one level.
>>
>>389709824
most of the levels are a fucking drag
>>
>>389709824
Going fast is the easiest way to die and that's the problem with Sonic games.
>>
>/v/ puts down the 3d games and puts the 2d ones on a obnoxiously high pedestal
>then makes post like these
honestly just fuck off you fucking idiots. you never liked this franchise to begin with.
>>
>>389710854
speed is meant to be a reward for skilled players, but most of sonic 1's levels don't facilitate speed at all
>>
>>389710854
HURR DUURR WHY IS GOING FAST HARD GOING FAST SHOULD BE EASY SO I CAN BREEZE THROUGHT LEVEL IN 2 SECONDS DURR I'M A RETARD
>>
>>389710928
>/v/ is one person
stop being a retard
>>
>>389710928
Coming to /v/ for anything other than shitposting and laughing at the misfortune of others is a futile pursuit
>>
>>389710735
This is why the 2 act structure was an improvement
>>
>>389709824
They didn't do much to show off Sonic's speed. Yes, speed and momentum should be rewards for good reactions and experience with the levels. But in S2 onwards even if you fucked up there were more sections to get you back up to speed so you could shake it off easier.

Also fuck Labrynth Zone.
>>
>>389709824
They weren't. Some were designed more as standard platformer sections to act as breaks between the more speed and momentum focused style that belies Sonic, but the platforming itself is still solid. Marble Zone is a bit boring despite that though. They also did this because they weren't entirely sure about how to proceed or if it would even be a good idea to have Sonic be how he was as it was a total gamechanger at the time.
>>389711016
Fuck you, go back to where you came from and stay there.
>>
File: tumblr_ovzjiz8jdU1thsnwdo1_540.png (27KB, 540x82px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_ovzjiz8jdU1thsnwdo1_540.png
27KB, 540x82px
I still can't grasp why, but (other than 3+K) Sonic 1 is my favorite. More than 2. I have no idea why. Objectively it's clearly not as good. It's not nostalgia - I didn't play any Sonic game until 2015. Just... yeah, Sonic 1.

Dunno.
>>
>>389709824
it was new to them
GHZ is fast and easy, a good first zone,
MZ is slow and methodical, a poor second zone (would be better later on really).
SYZ mixes the two, a good third zone. Somewhat methodical, somewhat fast, and it sets a good precedent for what a good Sonic stage should be.
LZ is slow as shit, full of water and full of spikes, an annoying fourth zone.
SLZ is fast and exciting again and is explictly a breather, a great fifth zone.
SBZ is a dangerous stage with saws and traps and the lot and it's a great final zone, right until it decides to be Labyrinth Zone again. Fuck that stage.

>>389711172
personally, I see no issue with 3 acts
but each act should focus on something
eg, act 1 is an introduction to how the stage flows and whatever stage specific stuff, act 2 is fast, and act 3 is more methodical
separating this by entire zones is ridiculous
>>
Marble Zone was too fucking slow. God, why did that had to be the 2nd level?
>>
>>389711483
the dank GHZ music obviously
>>
>>389709824
They weren't. Disliking Sonic 1 and CD, and loving S3&K is just a meme opinion perpetuated by people who don't actually like sonic.
>>
>>389711483
For all it's roughness it's still a great game. You like what you like, nothing wrong with that if you can explain and understand why or how it is compared to others.
>that image
It's funny and depressing because it's the opposite and they're the ones glorifying mediocrity and equating it to mastery.
Thread posts: 19
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.