[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>game has aliens >they speak perfect English

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 4

File: 1504841353771m.jpg (65KB, 1024x576px) Image search: [Google]
1504841353771m.jpg
65KB, 1024x576px
>game has aliens
>they speak perfect English
>>
File: 1504315070585.jpg (202KB, 800x555px) Image search: [Google]
1504315070585.jpg
202KB, 800x555px
>>389708918
Because it is a pain in the ass to invent a new language just to sub it in English.
>>
>>389708918
Pretty sure halo canon has it that the chief has a translator. Implemented in 2.
>>
>>389709049
>Implemented in 2.

What do you mean? At the beginning of the first game, Cortana tells you she's going to start translating their speech. Unless I'm crazy.
>>
>its a game
>>
You're making me want to dig out my 360 OP. Too bad I need to find a wireless adaptor for it.
>>
>>389708918
they're just recording whatever the aliens say and playing it backwards for the chief.
>>
>>389709012
Yeah but it adds in that bonus immersion points when your fighting inhuman, outerspace genocidal monsters. Having them speak perfect English and not even guttural heavy accent having basic phrases like Grunts just ruins the suspension of disbelief.

>>389709049
It's always the same bullshit magic translator, why can't sci-fi games just have the language barrier that we've had for thousands of years?
>>
>>389709113
She never says that. She accesses the Covenant Battle Net and can translate it for herself, but Chief cannot understand them in Halo 1.

>>389708918
It's for the sake of the audience, they are actually speaking their language among themselves.
>>
>>389708918
>game has aliens
>they jibba-jabba in gook and I haven't got a clue what they're on about
I get enough of that on public transport, thanks
>>
>>389709292
Why couldn't thry just use subtitles like Lord of the Rings? Are Normies too retarded they can't read?
>>
>>389709012
I miss the Elites shouting incoherent babble.
Update never, fuck you 10
>>
>game has aliens
>human anatomy
com on niga
>>
Isn't it the fact that the covenant races are intelligent enough to learn languages (Like UN base english) and the fact in cutscenes they do it for ease? Also, Grunt dialogue was the best.
>>
>>389708918
The Arbiter understands what language the other characters speak, thus, it is translated to English as that's the language the player understands.

Also, when you're playing as chief, his suit has translation software and some aliens learn a bit of English to insult their enemies.
>>
>>389709364
That's a lot of extra work, it would have been nice but it would have come at the cost of losing Grunts speaking English, which is too valuable to lose.
>>
>>389709837
But in Reach they were speaking full alienese and it worked out fine, grunts still had their pathetic mannerisms. Why couldn't they have just done this in halo 2 and 3?
>>
>>389709636
f
a
t
>>
Halo 2 was rushed as fuck, it's why it ended on a giant cliffhanger.
>>
>>389710224
Yeah, but the dialogue was missing. People remember Grunts because of the silly shit they say in addition to their AI. People underestimate how important the humor was the the series, without it, the games would just be too dark.
>>
>>389709368
WORT WORT WORT
>>
>>389709636
Ew.
>>
>>389709636
please give me sauce or i will kill myself and the blood will be on your hands
>>
Can anyone confirm if the factions on Destiny 2 are only boring to me because I didn't pla the first game, or if they really are nothing compared to the Covenant's lore, design and presence?
>>
File: 32556790.png (467KB, 995x789px) Image search: [Google]
32556790.png
467KB, 995x789px
>>389709364
When's the last time you tried to make a custom language for throwaway enemies in a videogame, anon.
>>
>>389709364
Because it sounds better in English? Because I don't wanna hear WORT WORT WORT in every cutscene?
>>
>Japanese game set across the globe
>everyone speaks fluent Japanese

Or

>game includes Japanese characters and foreigners
>everyone just speaks their own language and somehow everyone understands each other

I swear to god Japs are so lazy with this shit.
>>
>>389711447
Gya Roberts
>>
>>389711928
They're very boring. Its like Bungie just repeated their halo factions ideas but with less personality and zero explanation.
>>
>>389709256
>It's always the same bullshit magic translator, why can't sci-fi games just have the language barrier that we've had for thousands of years?
Because it's sci-fi. Cortana is able to calculate the very moment MC has to punch into a fucking Longsword missile for it to deviate and explode at the right angle so it does the least ammount of damage possible.
Surely she can translate a language she's heard hours of on the battlefield. And she went in one of their systems too, so she probably could "reverse-engineer" it.

>>389709368
I wonder how Elite mating sounds like. Is it like a honkfest/wortfest?
>>
File: tsah.png (754KB, 1480x1080px) Image search: [Google]
tsah.png
754KB, 1480x1080px
>>389708918
>>
>>389710535
I remember smiling everytime I heard a silly Grunt comment. Then being a little sad when I broke their skull seconds later with the pistol handle.

Their voices were hilariously fitting in french in CE, but they changed in the later entries, and took it too high-pitched to be credible. Now it just sounds like forced comic-relief.
>>
>>389708918
lmao why this dude look like a firefighter
>>
>>389709364
Because they were already using a fully realized language that even had a past perfect tense made by a dedicated professional?
>>
>>389708918
>there are aliens
>translator works for about 99% of their speech except for retarded meme words
>those meme words DO have a direct to english translation, such as a units of time or distance
Thread posts: 35
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.