[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>Developer decides to port a game to PC. >While the potential

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 6

File: ctf.jpg (66KB, 652x488px) Image search: [Google]
ctf.jpg
66KB, 652x488px
>Developer decides to port a game to PC.
>While the potential revenue is attractive enough, the developer is aware of how much said port will infuriate said game's existing fanbase
>So, developer decides to offer a third option:
>"Buy a second copy of the console port. If the profit from those extra copies surpasses the estimated PC port profit, we'll cancel said PC port"

Would you take the offer? would you refuse? Why?
>>
File: 017.jpg (44KB, 780x405px) Image search: [Google]
017.jpg
44KB, 780x405px
>>
Why would the original fan base be upset over a PC port? Outside of /v/ I don't think that autistic obsession over exclusives exist, and this entire problem would never exist when profit was on the line. Your bitching has never stopped a port from happening.
>>
>>389639932
>While the potential revenue is attractive enough, the developer is aware of how much said port will infuriate said game's existing fanbase
since when do they care about making people furious? also your argument is fucked up. "if the game is ported to PC, they'll be angry. let's ask them to buy a second copy of the game to port it to PC so they can get angry about it!"
>>
This OP is the embodiment of autism.
>>
>>389639932
>existing fanbase has already bought the game
>no refunds
>fuck them, lets get some more money

i dont see the problem
>>
What an absolutely ridiculous concept. It would never work.

People on PC that pirate aren't going to stop pirating, it's just that simple. However, some pirates do buy games. They pirate to try it out, make sure it runs well on their machine, see if the game is actually worth their value, see if they like the gameplay, etc, then buy it.

No, not all pirates do it, and I'd say a majority of them don't, but some do. I know I do, it depends on the game. If I pirate something and say "man, this is pretty good" I'll go buy it on steam or what have you. Or maybe wait for a sale if I determine the price too high.

It's the same kind of concept where companys think because a game only sold 8 million copies and not 10 million copies, that it was a failure. Like come on dude, it's just so stupid to think like that. 8 million is not something to scoff at, and if a game needed to sell 10 million to be a "success" (or just mearly in terms of profit) then it's no ones fault but the company's for using such a ludicrous about of money on the game (probably a bunch of marketing bullshit).

In short: Just make the game a good port, and a good game in general. Don't bog it down with a bunch of bullshit like DRM or extra launch services (like having bought it on steam but needing to use uplay or something).
>>
>>389640232
>I want to eat this sandwich and see if I like it before paying for it
>>
>>389640396
Piracy is just as anti-consumer as exclusives, you're only poisoning yourself by adding to any statistic that deters PC development.
>>
>>389639932
>people getting mad because some other people will get to play a game on their platform of choice
>getting mad enough that they'd be willing to actually pay money just to keep those other people from getting to play the game on their platform of choice
I really hope people like that don't exist.
>>
>>389640396
It's not the same thing you fucking retard.

Do you have to pay to watch a movie trailer? No, you don't. You get to watch 2-4min trailers to determine if you like the concept of the movie, what it presents in visuals, etc, then decide "yeah, I'll go see that". And sometimes it's not your deal and you don't go see it.

Lots of games have no form of demo anymore, no slice of gameplay to test out "yeah, this is cool, I'll buy it". Trailers for games have almost nothing to do with the game outside of the story which a lot of people don't care about, or showcase a bunch of "cinematic" gameplay moments that don't represent what you'll be doing for most of the game.

Sorry that piracy is the only way to test out the product before buying. If there were more demos, I can bet that there would be less piracy, how much I couldn't be sure, but less.
>>
>I don't want other people to play videogames without giving X company money because I did
>>
>>389640634
>Refund button exists
Same thing, is it not?
>>
>>389640396
>food analogies

Thank you, now I understand the argument
>>
File: 1466553914532.png (79KB, 917x685px) Image search: [Google]
1466553914532.png
79KB, 917x685px
>>389639932
>how much said port will infuriate said game's existing fanbase
>>
>>389639932
Why the fuck should I get mad if an exclusive gets ported, anything that increases the chances of a sequel is good for me.
I want Bayo 3
>>
>>389640712
It's not because I don't get my money back immediately. I need to wait for at least a few days before I can use that money for something else.
>>
>>389640861
And? I get it, but I haven't refunded very many games and I don't buy games at random. This is what shopping for PC games used to be like, anon. I don't think sampling is necessarily important or something that warrants putting out a separate demo anymore, you've got hundreds of avenues to witness every aspect of that game, you've got customer reviews, unless you're going I blind I think you can do the necessary research on a game if you absolutely must know you're going to love it before a purchase.
>>
>>389639932
>Getting so upset that someone else gets your toy you pay more money to prevent them from getting it
This is autism. Or Sony.
>>
File: 1468679242504.png (172KB, 361x691px) Image search: [Google]
1468679242504.png
172KB, 361x691px
>spend $60 for no reason other than to prevent someone else from spending $60

That's such an obsurdly autistic thing to do, I can't fathom why you'd think that would be a reasonable thing to do, unless you actually have autism. There is absolutely no reason to get angry by a game being ported to another platform, unless the game is a serious exclusive like Halo/Mario/Uncharted. When Risk of Rain was ported to Playstation platforms, I didn't have an autistic fit, I was happy because A) more people get to play this game and B) the increased revenue helps fund the sequel. What a stupid thread topic.
>>
>>389639932
Pure autism.
kys faggot
>>
File: pw.png (5KB, 155x160px) Image search: [Google]
pw.png
5KB, 155x160px
>>389639932
If the thought of more people experiencing your favorite video games infuriates you, then you're not a fan. Not the game's fan anyway. You're just a corporate cocksucker.
>>
>>389640712
No. It's not instant, it's not quick and painless, it's a hassle. You have to buy the game, install it, test it, determine if you like it within 2hr (which it's possible the game won't "hook you" in), then stop playing it all together before that 2hr mark, just so you might possibly have the option to return it, which you might not get.

It's just a stupid system; it's a good thing people can get refunds but it's a big ass hassle just to determine if you like the game or not. It's the same thing as going to walmart, buying a game for a console, going home, setting it up, playing it, deciding you don't like it, then having to travel back to the walmart and hope for the refund. It's just a shit system.

There's a few things dev's need to do: have demos, make games better, stop spending 60%+ of the budget on marketing, and stopping shitting on their consumer base by doing a bunch of anti-consumer/anti-gamer specific things. Otherwise, they can fuck off with their whiny bullshit of "wah, piracy is literally raping my entire family"
>>
>>389639932
Who actually gives a fuck if a game is ported to another system?
>>
>>389641328
>Walmart
How else do you propose we return physical goods? By time travel?
>>
File: fce.png (1MB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
fce.png
1MB, 1920x1080px
>>389640623
>>
>>389641042
Unless I get to try it for myself, on my own computer, with my own two hands: something a demo used to let me do in the past, I'm not gonna blow $50+ on something that may or may not be good because someone else said it was.

Pirate first. If it's good I'll buy it, if it's shit I won't. It's as simple as that.
>>
>>389639932
This is beyond retarded, start a business never OP
>>
>>389640148
>What is reading comprehension
Thread posts: 29
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.