[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why this is called Nintendo 64 if the games use all bits BUT

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 3

File: nintendo 64 bilinear issues.png (345KB, 640x473px) Image search: [Google]
nintendo 64 bilinear issues.png
345KB, 640x473px
Why this is called Nintendo 64 if the games use all bits BUT 64 bits?
8 bits if you measure by the cartridge bus.
9 bits (!) if you measure by the memory bus
16 bits if you measure by a single unit of the coprocessor SIMD packs
32 bits if you measure by the main code precision (no one uses 64 bits code because the extra precision is not needed and it's just slower)
128 bits if you measure by the coprocessor SIMD pack complete size
>>
>>389619415
to mess with your autism.
>>
>>389621456
I wonder how many developers got to joke about that.
>>
>>389619415
Because 64 squared is 128 you silly goober.
>>
File: IMG_1447.jpg (27KB, 480x480px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1447.jpg
27KB, 480x480px
>>389623805
>>
>>389619415
Protip: beyond the 32bit era, all "XYZ BITS" was marketing talk

Nintendo 64 can run AS IF it processes in 64 bits the same way the ATARI Jaguar runs AS IF it processed in xyz number bits. The 64 was just actually succesful.

This is also why, starting with the 64's competitors, people stopped marketing in that way. It was becoming apparent that exponential growth was not really happening, and other features like the Playstation's optical drive were more tangible, meaningful improvements.

Also, the N64 in general is just fucked, sound files are processed through the main architecture for example.
>>
>>389624031
Using a fast at multiply co-processor to handle audio became quite a common thing after the N64.
It was fucked up on N64 because you also used the same coprocessor for the T&L, so the more audio channels/effects you wanted, less triangles per screen you had.
>>
>>389624663
Thanks for clarifying the details, I'm only somewhat familiar with these architectural fuckeries from that era.l

On a similar note, if you want to know why the Saturn has no fucking games, it's because the architectural structure of the Saturn is basically a 2-core CPU that doesn't have multithread processing. They literally just put two fucking arcade units together and BAM new console.
This means that without career-level knowledge of Assembly programming, you can't get the Saturn to do anything at all, which was a constant bitching point for established programmers in Japan having to work with new teams who never touched Assembly.
>>
>>389626264
The saturn is actually more fucked up than that.
First, 6 processing units, not just two.
And in only two you can actually use C (the SH-2s) but as you pointed out, they're not made for actual multithreading and you had to deal with the memory read snags manually.
Also to do fast 3D on this thing was fucking livid hell.
First, see that SCU chip there? it is your fast multiply chip, you NEED fast multiply for 3D, and SCU is simply a lot faster than the SH's at it. But it is also the chip that copies data between the main memory and video chip memory/audio memory/cd-rom memory.
And you also need fast divide, and the SCU can't into divide at all.
So you needed to do a terrible ballet with the SCU processing part of the 3D data, then passing it to the SH-2s to finish it off with their divide operations and transforming into sprite matrix coordinates, before sending it back via the SCU itself to the video chip memory.
>>
>>389624031
>Protip: beyond the 32bit era, all "XYZ BITS" was marketing talk
no it was all marketing talk period
>>
>>389619415
what's a bit
>>
>>389629848
A MISERABLE LITTLE PILE OF ELECTRICITY!

Also a smart way to store large numbers on a series of relatively small 1's and 0'a.
Supposing you have four lamps and four switches, normally you can only convey a number from 0 to 4 with it, but if you label a lamp 8, another lamp 4, another lamp 2 and the final lamp a 1, you can convey any number from 0 to 15, by simply summing the numbers in the lit up lamps.
And to more bits? just go multiplying by 2.
>>
>>389627803

This reminds me of a hardware breakdown of the Saturn I read at some point ages ago. Developing for console was described as race condition after race condition after race condition. An absolute nightmare.
>>
>>389630118
cool, i love bits now
>>
>>389627803
i don't know what any of this means, does it have blast processing?
>>
>>389630240
Come on, everyone loves having the wrong numbers being divided twice.
>>
fuck off nerd
>>
>>389630675
The MC68EC000 is a more powerful version of the sega genesis CPU, so yes.
>>
>>389619415
marketing
>>
>>389630819
In terms of marketing, they could very well had called it nintendo 128, given the 128bits (or 8x16bits) of the RCP.
>>
>>389630885
nintendo # is stupid as fuck anyways nintendo
>>
>>389630959
nintendo never been very good at naming consoles.
It's generally a shitty name that starts to sound good due the quality of the system itself.
Thread posts: 22
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.