[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

"Videogames Can Never Be Art" – Spike Lee

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 140
Thread images: 29

>"Having once made the statement above, I have declined all opportunities to enlarge upon it or defend it. That seemed to be a fool's errand, especially given the volume of messages I receive urging me to play this game or that and recant the error of my ways. Nevertheless, I remain convinced that in principle, video games cannot be art. Perhaps it is foolish of me to say "never," because never, as I've once said, is a long, long time. Let me just say that no video gamer now living will survive long enough to experience the medium as an art form."

Did he have a legitimate point?
>>
>>389589601
He does. Only teenagers believe video games are art.
>>
>Spike
Is this an Ape Escape reference?
>>
>>389589601
Spike Lee is right. Video games are just toys, but damned if they're not fun toys.
>>
>>389589601

he's right. Writing in video games is trash nowadays. Even Kojima took a nosedive.
>>
>>389590208
Or people in the video game industry

>I'm not making toys mom, it's art
>>
>>389589601
Uh he looks black
>>
>>389589601

And yet he made a vidya game? What did spike mean by this?
>>
>>389590324

lol spike made the story mode in the last NBA game. Guess what, the writing is trash
>>
>>389590390
Therefore his opinion is even more valid
>>
>>389589601
He doesn't, because it was Roger Ebert who said that.
>>
Art is about the message, not the medium.
>>
>>389590324
>Implying Kojimas writing was ever good

Every story he's written has been "based off" an 80's scifi/action flick.
>>
File: pepe-the-frog.jpg (24KB, 480x439px) Image search: [Google]
pepe-the-frog.jpg
24KB, 480x439px
>>389589601

>because never, as I've once said, is a long, long time
>as I've once said
>>
>>389590507

But his game was shit
>>
These threads attract the most pretentious faggots. Only threads worse on /v/ are e-celeb shit and anything remotely /pol/ related.
>>
>>389589601
Art is anything
This is not an argument
>>
>>389590250
Don't summon him.
>>
There have been ignorant fucks throughout history. When man first made paintings on the walls of caves, surely a neanderthal would have walked up to him and said "lol this will never be art faggot"
>>
>>389589601
personaly I don't want them to be considered art, I mean have you ever been to an art exibition recently? It's full to the brim with the most despicable garbage imaginable, hell the same goes for most art films as well.
I don't want games to be art because I actualy like games
>>
>>389589601
People in film keep saying vidya can't be art is the same way people in literature said that movies can't be art. It's all apart of the entertainment cycle and vidya people will say the same once the next big thing arrives.
>>
>>389590313
how isn't art just a toy then?
>>
File: 1402523432782.jpg (7KB, 140x143px) Image search: [Google]
1402523432782.jpg
7KB, 140x143px
>Red Tails
>>
>>389589601
Anything can be art.

But he's one to talk since out of the 35 films he's made, only 1 was decent. All the other shit he's made is nothing more then cheap, "we waz kings." circlejerking.
>>
>getting your philosophy from a negro
>>
Reminder that he made NBA game.

And he even made himself into a character in it.
And congratulated himself on a job well done at the end.

And it was awful.
>>
this pasta never gets old, especially because nu/v/ falls for it every time.
>>
CAN they be art? Of course. Video games can easily have artistic value.
ARE they art now? Not really. There's too much corporate interest and gamers are giant manbabies. The best you'll get are souls games, bioshock, and shadow of the collosus.
>>
>>389590940

Well to be fair. He has made a game since that quote and it was absolutely horrible. So take what he says about the medium with a grain of salt. Spike should just stick to what he's good at; being an annoying little shit at Knicks games.
>>
Spike Lee is correct, but none of his movies are art either.
>>
>>389591297
shut the fuck up, retard
>>
>>389589601
>Did he have a legitimate point?
He didn't make a point, just a statement.
His statement is correct.
>>
>>389591531

Go back to the set spike
>>
This was not said by Spike. It was said by the Raiden of our time. Spike said,
>white people can never be trusted
>>
The fact that there seems to be just like a single person in this thread who actually recognizes the pasta makes me realized just how much of a nosedive this fucking board has taken over the last few years.
My god you fucks should really not be posting here.
>>
Has a nigger really ever said anything of importance?
>>
>>389590313
>>389590324
>>389590368
>>389590554
>>389590712
>>389590774
>>389590794
>>389590807
>>389590810
>>389590908
>>389591229
The argument isn't "video games are toys and toys can't be art" (They can).

The argument isn't "Video games are bad and bad things can't be art" (They can).

The argument isn't "Video games have corporate meddling, and corporate things can't be art" (They can).

The argument is video games are subjective experiences, no two people will ever experience the same video game, because they will all play it differently. Some people will die 100 times, some will not die a single time. Some will make a Mage character, some will make a Fighter. This greatly affects your experience of the game. Everyone watches the same movie. Everyone reads the same book. Everyone looks at the same painting. Interpretation of those art forms will vary from person to person, but the experience is the same. Not true with video games.

The argument you want to prove and or debunk is "subjective and unique experience of a medium isn't art" not "pixels and sounds aren't art"

But, because "video games aren't art" is such a vague statement, it's guaranteed replies because people are stupid.
>>
>>389591435
Pretty much, he's also pretty fucking stupid. On twitter he posted the wrong address of zimmerman and it actually the home of two 70+ elderly people
>>
>>389592004
we own this shit now, gramps. we love ecelebs and call of duty. make like a dinosaur and become a fossil, faggot!
>>
>>389592087
There is no fucking argument
That's just a bait copypasta you moron
>>
File: 250px-Metalgear2boxart.jpg (28KB, 250x354px) Image search: [Google]
250px-Metalgear2boxart.jpg
28KB, 250x354px
The closest thing gaming actually got to becoming art
>>
>>389591435
I liked Do the Right Thing
>>
File: Vice-city-cover.jpg (103KB, 256x325px) Image search: [Google]
Vice-city-cover.jpg
103KB, 256x325px
>>389592435
wrong pic ,my bad
>>
>>389592435
This was never funny. Please stop.
>>
>>389589601
>despite everyone telling me I'm wrong i refuse to defend my claim
>just the fact that theres so many people telling me im wrong, must mean im right

has a stupider man existed
>>
>people still fall for this
>>
File: hqdefault (1).jpg (10KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
hqdefault (1).jpg
10KB, 480x360px
>>389592087
replying to this many people should be an insta ban
>>
>>389592087
>The argument is video games are subjective experiences, no two people will ever experience the same video game, because they will all play it differently.
So... just like all other kinds of art, as dozens of most influential art critics and theoreticists pointed out through out the entire history of 20th century in what we generally know as the semiotic turn?
Just like performative art, live music, dance etc... which are without a problem recognized as art and actually always have been?

Ignoring the fucking fact that this thread is full of insane morons who actually do not know who Ebert is and why this quote is so damn notorious in the industry: This is NOT the fucking argument. Never has been.

Ebert's argument has been a lot simpler, and a lot dumber. He said that games are exclusively a competition. And competition is sport, not art. That is literally the extend of his argument that has been laughed out by absolute MAJORITY of people who commented on it, including many of his colleagues and art critics too.
>>
>>389592596

This is how people generally are. They're very attached to their beliefs. Studies have shown that, when presented with evidence contradicting their beliefs, people just believe even harder rather than changing their minds.
>>
>>389589601
>pictures are art
>statues are art
>music is art
>writing is art
>put it all together and it is art
>put it all together and make it interactive and it isn't art
>>
>>389592087
If anything you just proved that videogames are better art than the shit people think is art because of the plethora of experiences and perceptions each person can have about the same piece.

If a woman painting with her fucking vag in public is considered art, then videogames are the Mona Lisa.
>>
>>389592678
>Just like performative art, live music, dance etc... which are without a problem recognized as art and actually always have been?

No, those are always exactly the same. Each performance might be different, but everyone sees the exact same performance.

Ironically, while video games aren't art, Lets Plays ARE art.
>>
Yes OP, we go over this every goddamn week. Video games are made of art, but they're not art. Movies are made of art, but they're not art. Keeping art as the classical definition of the fine arts should be how it fucking is. Too bad we have generations that are now growing up on the CIA's shitty modern art shit in a literal toilet bowl pieces as being called art.
>>
>drawings
>art
>cinematics
>art
>story
>art
>music
>art

>interactivity
OH ITS NOT ART ANYMORE
>>
>>389592886
You don't understand the different between "interpretation" and "experience"

Everyone who watches a woman paint with her vag has the same experience. They all interpret it differently.

Everyone who plays a video game has a different experience. The fact that no two people will experience the same game changes how they interpret it.
>>
Video games would have been widely accepted as an art form long ago, if only the people who want video games to qualify as art weren't trying in vain to achieve this by erecting a shining pedestal under games which sacrifice gameplay for story, graphics, etc., thereby sending the message to normies that video games can qualify as art only by losing the interactive elements which qualify them as games, thus implying that video games are not a distinct art form after all.
>>
File: 1499784328148.png (101KB, 291x334px) Image search: [Google]
1499784328148.png
101KB, 291x334px
>>389592957
>EVERYONE SEES THE SAME PERFORMANCE
>DOESN'T MATTER IF THEY PERCEIVE IT DIFFERENTLY, IT IS THE SAME
>>
>>389589601
who cares about anything this nignog says? this fucker hates everyone who isnt black and constantly makes shit up like saying black people have no films about their historical figures
>>
Finally the director of the shitty Old Boy remake speaks out on the important video games as art issue
>>
>>389593228
Are you mad because it's true?
>>
>>389593117

yeah but all of those things are complete trash in video games, especially the writing. So its not real art.
>>
File: 1446904674269.jpg (13KB, 244x200px) Image search: [Google]
1446904674269.jpg
13KB, 244x200px
>>389589601
>I'm not going to tell you why, but believe me, games aren't art.
I don't give a shit, and you shouldn't either, play video games and enjoy them. If you agree with him though, neck yourself.
>>
>>389593131
Not who you're responding to. I want to comment on the idea of "experience".
>I pressed "A" at 12 seconds instead of 10 seconds, it's a completely difference experience!
Fuck that shit. That's the same tired excuse faggot 17 year old youtubers try to use when claiming that their shitty let's plays are fair use.
>>
>>389589601
The medium has been an art form as soon as the first videogame was created. It's an expression of human creativity. Much like Spike's """flicks""" (see: forgettable films)
>>
If the last of us is the standard than I can honestly say I'll never be alive to see video games be art.
>>
File: 1501776455192.png (693KB, 574x624px) Image search: [Google]
1501776455192.png
693KB, 574x624px
>it's a "it must be good to be considered art!" episode.

tired of this shitty meme tbqh
>>
>>389593483
It's true though.

Famously, Yahtzee hated Demon Souls because it was too hard and he had to keep replaying the same area over and over. Once he got good, he loved the Dark Souls games. His experience greatly changed his interpretation of the game.

No one says "The latest Disney movie was shit because I had to watch the first 10 minutes 15 times"
>>
File: XtoXRTE.jpg (89KB, 832x864px) Image search: [Google]
XtoXRTE.jpg
89KB, 832x864px
>Write a stereotypical "uprising from the hood" basketball fantasy story that only niggers would relate to
>Game sales tank
>Make no money off your atrocious highschool basketball fantasy story
>Video games can't be art cause i ain't make money
>>
>>389593483

Not every game is a linear interactive movie but yeah I hate YouTube snowflakes too.
>>
>all these rubes who think its a spike lee quote

rubes, so many rubes
>>
>>389589601
I don't know why people care. I don't need my hobby to be validated by people that have no interest in it. Your appreciation of something shouldn't be contingent upon whether or not other people like it.
>>
File: 1496174050237.png (35KB, 1024x1024px) Image search: [Google]
1496174050237.png
35KB, 1024x1024px
>>389589601
>Listening to a nigger
>>
>>389593769

Didn't Ebert say something like this?
>>
>>389593826
>don't know why people care. I don't need my hobby to be validated by people that have no interest in it. Your appreciation of something shouldn't be contingent upon whether or not other people like it.

Because telling someone rich and famous they are wrong is extremely satisfying to people who have no achievements of their own to be proud of.
>>
>>389593724
He just learned how to play the game, that's all. When you're shit at a sport, you're going to have a bad time too. That's how things work, more than just games. When you don't understand a book, you're going to be confused and you most likely won't enjoy it.
>>
>>389589601
Every movie of his was trash and is only made to make a message.

And besides that, movies aren't art either.
>>
>>389593953
Sports aren't art either, so you just proved my point.
>>
>>389592087
>implying literally all art isn't subjective
>b-but I painted it this way so everybody sees it this way
Every experience is subjective. Video games aren't "not art" because they offer a slightly more subjective experience than other art forms.
>>
>>389594016
>You proved my point
I was never arguing that video games are art. They're not art. They're made up of some art. They're a product, a toy, a game. It was a mistake calling anything but the fine arts as art.
>>
Is a game of chess art? And just to be clear, I'm talking about the actual game: the idea of two people moving pieces against one another in ordered chaos in attempt that one of them might satisfy an arbitrary arrangement such as they are determined the "winner". There are more games of chess than atoms in the universe, certainly no two are likely to ever be the same.

Certainly a chess board and its pieces could qualify as art, and certainly be made with artistic direction, but the game itself is nothing more than an arbitrary system of rules, and the act of playing it is abiding by those rules.

If this act qualifies as art, then so does crossing the street at a cross walk. The government dictates that you can only cross the street at certain places and times, and by obeying those rules, you have in essence played a game. Indeed, street corners can often be decorated with art, and even the time to cross the street can be indicated by accompanying music. But the act of following these rules, nor the rules themselves, would be considered art by no one

Video games can incorporate much more art than your typical chess board or street corner, but is the game itself art? Is the act of following an arbitrary system of rules art? I think the only way it could ever happen is if the system of rules is so incomprehensibly complex that no one can even be sure what they are. We may not even recognize such a thing as a game.
>>
>>389592957
This is wrong on literally every level. So first of all, they don't. PERCEPTUAL DIFFERENCES between people are a thing, a major thing actually, as any neuroscientists that ever studied perception will confirm.
Second of all, have you really never heard of Barthes, Eco, Eliot, Brooks, hell, even Joyce? Never heard about books like Rauela, Chazarian Dictionary, Invisible Cities - all meta-textual fiction? Never ever fucking faced the theory that interpretation might be more relevant than text itself?
Fourth: If the work will differ between individual performance, then how can you claim that the work itself (if it can be only percieved through performance, which is the case of most music), how can you declare the work itself "art"? By your logic, the musical compositions or theatrical plays can't be art: merely the INDIVIDUAL PERFORMANCES can be art. But that is something clearly most of art theatre and musical theory won't agree on.

Seriously, this is so laughably stupid line of thinking it may be a mistake to even give you any attention. It's stupid and the entirety of 20th century art theory has already proven you wrong.
>>
File: pollocks-toy-museum-cyesuta.jpg (29KB, 500x333px) Image search: [Google]
pollocks-toy-museum-cyesuta.jpg
29KB, 500x333px
>>389594227
But toys can be art.
>>
>>389594227
fag
>>
>>389593826
>I don't know why people care.
Because any discussion of art is actually a discussion of values. And values are interesting, and important to discuss. They are fundamental part of our basic societal order and organization. It's no different from people discussing ethics - in fact it is actually a form of ethics in some sense, and that is that people are pretty inherently motivated to debate.

And by the way, you are very wrong. Your appreciation of things should be also confronted and updated by what other people think: again this is how a society steers itself. There is nothing actually wrong about that as long as you can balance your own rationality and responsibility with the societal outlook.
>>
>>389593724
>No one says "The latest Disney movie was shit because I had to watch the first 10 minutes 15 times"
Uh, one of the commonly accepted definitions of "classic fiction" is that your ability to appreciate it is partially dependent on your knowledge and education within the medium. In music, there are thousands of compositions well famous for being something most people have to listen to multiple times to enjoy it. There are many movies or books most people have to either push themselves to get through before they start to be able to appreciate them, or that require you to know some kind of broader context before you can appreciate them. This is yet another completely retarded line of argumentation.
>>
huh could have sworn spike lee hasn't been relevant in the last decade or so
>>
File: 1443039385769.jpg (48KB, 353x234px) Image search: [Google]
1443039385769.jpg
48KB, 353x234px
>>389589601

If we define "art" by it's most useful and non-douchey definition -- something man made with the implicit or explicit purpose of making you "think," or feel the world in a different way -- then yes, some games are. Some movies are not, some movies are. Some lit is not, some is. Some vidya does try to make you think/feel about the world (MGS1, I'd argue some of the final fantasy's, Last of Us, etc). Some are fucking Spyro or Splatoon.

Things that weren't intended to be art can still make someone think/feel, so you can dick around with the definition and say Spyro may be art to you personally because it made you think/feel, but you'd have to agree that it's not art "objectively" speaking because it was just designed as a retarded platformer for kiddies.
>>
>>389594269
>Is the act of following an arbitrary system of rules art?
It's more about the experiences that arise from the system of rules then the rules themselves. The system is a frame work for the in game art, music, animations, and writing to work off and create meaning. The system is how you are directed to understand the piece. Like how cinematography is how see the film. But cinematography isn't quite art by it's self. It needs something compelling to be in the frame itself.
>>
File: 64428174_p0.png (2MB, 1169x1155px) Image search: [Google]
64428174_p0.png
2MB, 1169x1155px
>>389594657
>Your appreciation of things should be also confronted and updated by what other people think: again this is how a society steers itself. There is nothing actually wrong about that as long as you can balance your own rationality and responsibility with the societal outlook.
Fuck societal outlook. Other people's feelings, especially their feelings on how I spend my leisure time or the things that I like do not matter, period. Needing others to validate you is bullshit. Rich people don't like video games? Guess I'll just keep playing video games. All I ask is that everyone leaves me alone
>>
>>389589601
Why are people getting so wound up man
Obviously it's up to the person what they view as art, how can people put objective terms to something that is based around subjectivity
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder and all that
>>
>>389595604
Are you actually, unironically 14? Jesus, this is so insanely immature, stupid outlook that it's beyond belief. Fun fact: the tolerance of that society is the only thing that keeps you alive. Maybe you should really, really start thinking about them a little differently. ESPECIALLY if you contribute fuck all.
>>
>>389592678
The sport argument seems the best since even beating single player is like solving a long puzzle; and that can be done at a "pro" level like speed running.
>>
>>389590324
Video Games universally revolve around their game design. What does their writing have to do with it? They're not books or movies.
>>
It makes me wonder why so many people are so keen on videogames being art considering the amount of snobs that are involved in the arts medium(like Lee). Just enjoy them and continue with your life.
>>
>>389589601
He's absolutely right. Only /v/eddit would argue. Garbage like Life is Strange isn't art.
>>
Everything can be an art. Games, music, fuck, even killing people.
If you give love to it and your time, to show yourself or what you want to show, then yes, it's art.
>>
>>389596086
>The sport argument seems the best
It's really not. On many levels, including the fact that across multiple cultures, disciplines that are considered "sport" are also considered "art", including dancing, fencing, martial arts, archery etc...
Second of all: A LOT of great fiction is itself designed as puzzles, in fact the ability to invite people to participate in the work, challenge the audience to connect the dots etc... is considered incredibly valuable part of art.
>>
>/v/ no longer recognizes this pasta
Christ almighty, what is wrong with you people?
>>
File: 54634564.jpg (11KB, 220x261px) Image search: [Google]
54634564.jpg
11KB, 220x261px
>>389589601

spike lee films cannot be art
>>
File: 58109549_p0.png (695KB, 702x1054px) Image search: [Google]
58109549_p0.png
695KB, 702x1054px
>>389595861
I am a law abiding citizen that works, pays taxes, votes, and so on. The least I ask for is for is to not be bothered by other people. If you or they don't like what I am doing or what hobbies I partake in then they can fuck off. I live for myself and my loved ones. Don't you fucking talk down on me about "tolerance". You sound like a jumped up college shitheel and your like are the fucking worst with the most intrusive beliefs.
>>
Reminder that Spike Lee made the "Story" for NBA 2k16, and it was universally considered shit
>>
>>389596660
>The least I ask for is for is to not be bothered by other people.
It's not actually about them bothering you (that is a potentially annoying side-effect, but really: we live in BY FAR the most tolerant society ever produced in history, so you pretending like the evil society is constantly trying to get to you is a JOKE), but really about figuring out what they can offer to you, and how much validity and value is in what they present.
But that is going to be lost on you. Because you are garbage. And the desperate screaming you are doing here is nothing than insecure "I'M perfect STOP MAKING ME EVER DOUBT I CAN'T LIVE WITH THE OPTION OF BEING QUESTIONED YOU ARE ALL WRONG!" shit. The fact that you don't even begin comprehending the relationship between you and the others is frankly disturbing. You literally started the discussion by displaying the inability to comprehend BASIC interest of people in societary discourse. I have the right to talk down to you: most 12 years old children have full light to talk down to you for that alone.
>>
>>389596497
I seriously think that every single fuck who does not recognize that quote, or bother to double check it, or ask for source, should be fucking PERMABANNED at this point. Jesus, what a shit-show.
>>
Life is Strange is far more art than a video game, but its still considered a video game, so he's wrong.
>>
>>389593826
>I don't know why people care
I don't, I just like to argue with dumbass people on the internet
>>
I don't know whether he made that comment or not and I don't care, he is welcome to his own opinions.
What I will say is one used by many over a multitude of years, "Beauty is in the eyes of the beholder", therefore art is as well.
Take that as you will.
>>
File: 1384787315178.jpg (13KB, 800x600px) Image search: [Google]
1384787315178.jpg
13KB, 800x600px
>>389589601
What game would be the most like "art" then? Like of all time, what would qualify?
>>
File: 1504133966175.png (60KB, 172x126px) Image search: [Google]
1504133966175.png
60KB, 172x126px
>>389596952
The only thing society has to "offer me" are the rights and protections granted to a citizen by a state and sovereign nation. I don't spend my time thinking about hoe to gain from others. I do my part like any other working, law-abiding citizen. Frankly everything else you ranted about is plain bullshit and next-level autistic screeching.

>>389597275
I can respect that. This other nigga is up his own ass though.
>>
File: 1254367524827.jpg (26KB, 219x265px) Image search: [Google]
1254367524827.jpg
26KB, 219x265px
>>389597027
>not being able to have a conversation on an interesting topic
>>
>>389593131
No I get it. What you don't get is that having a different experience is actually another level of depth to the art.

Not only can one interpret the same experience differently. One can have another experience entirely within the same art piece and have different interpretations on that.

Your argument basically boils down to "it's too complicated and I can quantify the exact experience everyone will have so it's not art".
>>
>>389597435
>I don't spend my time thinking about hoe to gain from others.
Hence the whole "you are an absolute garbage".

>and next-level autistic screeching.
Says the person literally so completely socially retarded that he does not understand why people like to engage in discussion of values? Really? Autism is the thing you, the screeching shitpile going on rants about how he does not even begin to comprehend how others work and how they could be in any way important or useful to him is going to play the autism card?
Do you not at least realize the irony here? Do you even know what the word "autism" mean? Or are you also above such insane, invasive, judgemental societal pressures like "defining meanings of words"?
>>
File: tousan.jpg (70KB, 479x548px) Image search: [Google]
tousan.jpg
70KB, 479x548px
I think about this often too,

Kubrick calls good movies a photograph of a photograph of reality, which basically means the movie doesnt depict reality as is but depicts one angle of something bigger, or something along those lines. apologies for my crappy english and interpretation.

But I have trouble taking that over to video games, since you have user experience to deal with.

In a movie, a viewer is just watching, and keeping track of things happening. Anything that happens remains in the past and in the viewers knowledge, that is it in terms of considering user experience. The film works and plans itself according to this timeline.

But video games can have the person move anywhere, backtrack, skip enemies, die, quit, etc. Just a lot of things your player can be doing. The story itself can be a photograph of a photograph of reality. But once your viewer/consumer can fuck with your world and dance around in it however they want, then they become the actor. And now you have to consider how much freedom to give this actor, in your photograph of a photograph of reality.

That said, I think we can all agree that games that purely consider consumer enjoyment and/or are just a quick hypetrain to grab cash from twitch viewers are not artists, they are gambling machine designers.
>>
>>389597435
>The only thing society has to "offer me" are the rights and protections granted to a citizen by a state and sovereign nation.
This isn't really true. Humans are inherently social creatures and the only way we can truly grow is via interacting with others. Anybody who isolates themselves is shooting themselves in the foot psychologically speaking. Anybody who goes around telling themselves they don't care about others or they don't need other people's input is deluding themselves, usually due to bitterness.
>>
>>389589601
who is this literal jungle-dwelling spear chucking ape looking nigger and why should i care what he says
>>
File: 1449467281195.png (206KB, 445x379px) Image search: [Google]
1449467281195.png
206KB, 445x379px
>people take this pasta seriously no matter how many times it's posted
>>
File: 1487751195100.jpg (142KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
1487751195100.jpg
142KB, 1920x1080px
>>389597650
K

>>389597858
I don't isolate myself. I am here talking to you. The only people I care about are my family and close friends. Feather the nest, fuck the rest.

Oh, and employers. Gotta pay bills.
>>
>>389590794
i have too, they thought anime lolis were art!
I MEAN, COME ON FRANCE! ANIME LOLIS AINT ART!

ONLY MOVIES CAN BE ART!
>>
>>389589601
>Wrote the plot for a basketball game which involves ghosts
He's just salty that everyone made fun of him for Livin' Da Dream
>>
>>389592087
Seems arbitrarily strict. A player has a certain amount of influence certainly, but the experience is guided by the "artist". If they want to make some new definition for collaborative art, fine, but just saying it's not art is unreasonably dismissive.
>>
>>389598179
Okay I thought you might be a 14 year edge-lord or something. Keep on keeping on then.
>>
>>389589601
Why would anyone care what he once said?
>>
>>389596952
Holy shit nigger, are you on sale?
I could use a good projector
You're basically saying we all have to listen to everyone elses dumbass opinions because "well they all have value tho and we need to respect them"
Fuck out of here with that shit, and you say this on 4chan of all places. This is gonna sound foreign to you but here goes: We shitpost here to get away from faggots like you and the rest of grand society that think everyone needs to be exactly like them to live life. Actually fuck off to Reddit not even as an insult. You actually, serious talk belong there with people just like you. You're the outsider here.
We get to decide if we give three shits about what someone thinks. We personally judge that. You don't get to come in and tell us we're doing it wrong. In fact, I'll use that same ability to wipe my ass with all the bullshit you spread.
>>389597650
>He doesn't spend his time thinking about how to leech off others and thinks for hismelf instead
>This makes him a bad person
Hello?
>>
Games can involve cinematography, painting, digital art, music, all this from tons of talented artists, but when you bundle it all together into one thing and make it interactive it ceases to be art?
>>
>>389598402
He is, he just makes up shit to make himself sound less pathetic.
>>
File: art-wank.jpg?w=586&h=499.jpg (26KB, 586x499px) Image search: [Google]
art-wank.jpg?w=586&h=499.jpg
26KB, 586x499px
>>389589601
>Let me just say that no video gamer now living will survive long enough to experience the medium as an art form.
Does this guy not know what counts as "art" these days?
>>
>>389598584
he makes shitty movies
he knows full well what counts as art
>>
>>389592614
lol
>>
Is a haunted house art?
>>
File: tumblr_oedsyyzwkB1ru39zdo1_500.jpg (64KB, 500x570px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_oedsyyzwkB1ru39zdo1_500.jpg
64KB, 500x570px
This is a guy who unironically likes the Knicks.

Don't take him seriously
>>
>Let me just say that no video gamer now living will survive long enough to experience the medium as an art form

It's funny because I can't think of a single fucking movie he has made off the top of my head. I guess his movies can never be art then since clearly given what he said the term is bestowed or withheld based on unanimous collective consensus of everyone in society.
>>
>>389592596
Everyone in this thread who thinks this is real.
>>
>>389589601
Video games are a combination of many different form of arts.
>>
>>389598754

Haunted houses are interactive plays.
Plays are art.
Ergo if you got a ridiculous avant garde haunted house that inspired true emotion in a person, yes. Haunted house can be art.
>>
>>389598492
>You're basically saying we all have to listen to everyone elses dumbass opinions because "well they all have value tho and we need to respect them"
Yes. Because unlike you trash, I'm not so insecure that opinions of others make me mad beyond capability to cope, and because I'm not arrogant enough to think I always know better. Listening to them is not the same as blindly obeying, you fucking retards. It means "being aware of what and why is going on, and being able to take advantage of that to secure yourself a better existence - and perhaps, others as well".

>We shitpost here
You shitpost because you barely qualify as a human being. Shitposting is not inherent to this place: there has always been a portion of the population that was garbage and trolled, but they were always an unavoidable evil, not the point. People came here originally to discuss games - share their opinions and learn from opinions of others - precisely the "societal judgement" you fucking cowards can't stand now.
You are the generation of faggots who can't actually cope with anything, not even this site. Which is why you shitpost - make the place worse for everyone, punish other people for sharing the place.

>that think everyone needs to be exactly like them to live life
That is what neither me, nor most people in the society say, actually. Again a projection - an angry outlash agaist the very notion that maybe you should be questining yourself from time to time.

>We get to decide if we give three shits about what someone thinks.
And if you decide not to do that, you stop qualifying as a human being: you become stock at best. Sure: you have the option to decide to be a piece of shit. But we have the right to then judge you on that decision.

>You don't get to come in and tell us we're doing it wrong.
Are you ACTUALLY 14 years old edge master? God dammit this is hilarious!
>>
File: 1353561383409.png (492KB, 604x604px) Image search: [Google]
1353561383409.png
492KB, 604x604px
>>389599421
You wrote all that garbage, and I'm not reading a word of it, because I don't listen to retards spouting bullshit.
Already made up my mind about you, and you're full of shit.
Because I can do that :^)
What's wrong, normmeister? Gonna (You) me again because I don't care what you think?
>>
>>389599421
whats the deal with spergs who chop up posts and then shit up their own post with too much tl;dr shit
>>
>>389599421
It must really chap your ass every time someone trashes your ignorant opinion, mustn't it?
>>
>>389590554
art is about beauty faggot it doesn't need a message

i've played games that are beautiful in many ways (great prose, great visual imagery, great score)
>>
File: 1459104082317.png (391KB, 1280x1152px) Image search: [Google]
1459104082317.png
391KB, 1280x1152px
>>389599421
You have to have gone to college to be this damn stupid.
>>
File: 1502343566090.png (278KB, 500x480px) Image search: [Google]
1502343566090.png
278KB, 500x480px
Oh sweet summer children.
Thread posts: 140
Thread images: 29

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.