[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Denuvo

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 4

File: 1480585900595.jpg (10KB, 477x249px) Image search: [Google]
1480585900595.jpg
10KB, 477x249px
>costs millions to add to your game
>causes your fans to hate you and mass-downvote your game on steam
>pirates crack it in a few days anyways, rendering the whole thing pointless
Why do developers/publishers still add DRM to their single-player games?
Do they not realize that people actually want to support the developers and buy the game?
Do they not realize that anyone who wants to pirate the game can do so effortlessly regardless of what kind of barriers they put up?
>>
To please investors that the game is "safe from being stolen".
Literally everyone knows that it's bullshit, especially publishers/devs since they see how many games they sold down to each copy.
>>
>>389587990
the people making these decisions don't give a fuck about any of that. investors whine about piracy and so they say "look we put anti-piracy in, hooray" and that investor doesn't sell their stake in the company and bow out
>>
>>389587990
>>costs millions to add to your game
not millions, but still a hideous amount.

>>causes your fans to hate you and mass-downvote your game on steam
heh. yeah. love that.

>>pirates crack it in a few days anyways, rendering the whole thing pointless
cracking in a few days... well, no. it has been a work in progress to defeat various versions of it for a couple of years.

>Do they not realize that people actually want to support the developers and buy the game?
sure, but not if it has a piece of shit DRM that impacts on game performance.

>Do they not realize that anyone who wants to pirate the game can do so effortlessly regardless of what kind of barriers they put up?
true, but for piracy to happen, it helps to have the protection broken otherwise you have useless hunk of data you can't run.
>>
>>389587990
>Why do developers/publishers still add DRM to their single-player games?
They're stupid
>>
I'm thinking they figured, since people bend over and accepted Steamworks as something perfectly fair and normal, they shouldn't have a problem with Denuvo.

Not as if we were rational actors though.
>>
>>389588284
Someone should tell the investors that consoles have the most rampant piracy issues.
>>
>>389587990
Fascinating question, mark.
>>389588160
Has it mostly right- with corollary; even the ceo types probably know it doesn't work, however,they've be using "pirates dunnit" as a scapegoat for so long that they have to have at least the appearance of doing something about those darn pirates.
Denuvo is expensive, but allows them to tell investors they're doing the best they can, taking the issue seriously, etc. While at the same time, when it's inevitably beaten, they still get to use their scapegoating. Win-win.
>>
>>389588546
one time we tried to get the gaming media to report on things that matter like that but we all know how that worked out
turns out looking for a bit of integrity and respect is the exact same as wishing death and rape on every female and nonwhite and nonstraight person ever to exist
>>
>>389587990
To be fair there was a 1 year period where it wasn't cracked and everybody struggled to play pirated games from that era.

Remember how long it took for Just cause 3 to get cracked among other games?

DRM works if its strong enough, just wait until a new stronger version comes out.

Or just use the windows store that to this day remains uncracked(bypassed yes but cracked no).
>>
>>389588546
well, that is pure nonsense. pc has more pirated games than console.
>>
>>389588830
>Or just use the windows store that to this day remains uncracked(bypassed yes but cracked no).

nobody gives a single fuck about windows store. not even the pirate scene.
>>
>>389588830
>just use the windows store that to this day remains uncracked(bypassed yes but cracked no).
who cares, if it results in the same thing
>>
>>389589118
it probably takes into account everyone who has ever downloaded an NES emulator and ROM
>>
>>389587990
Upsides to denuvo:
>game cannot be cracked for a short time, maybe a few days, maybe a month, maybe longer for less popular games
>even pirates are encouraged to buy the game since they don't want to wait

Downsides to denuvo:
>expensive as fuck
>temporary
>usually delays the release of a game
>invokes a lot of negativity from the gaming community
>unreliable method, has been cracked almost immediately in some cases
>>
>>389589382
Not really, bypassed games crash like a bitch.
>>
>>389589629

You forgot lost sales in the negatives.
>>
>>389589629
Denuvo is down to days,senpai.

Not even double digits either.
>>
>>389589629
The biggest downside of Denuvo is that it causes developers to lose money. The cost of adding DRM to your game and lost sales from angry fans means you will overall lose money.
>>
>>389587990
>Why do developers/publishers still add DRM to their single-player games?
Denuvo costs a lot less than /v/ leads you to believe, effects sales negatively less than /v/ leads you to believe, and only in rare cases like Rime actually has any negative impact on players so publishers will continue to use it.
>>
>>389588546
>>389589118
while this may be true, consoles have almost zero protection against piracy. the homebrew work-arounds are so stupidly easy that even a computer-illiterate soccer mom could pirate console games (as long as she can follow some step-by-step instructions)
>>
>>389589798
F1 2017 has been out for at least 2 weeks and still no crack.
Thats 14 days. double digits.

check mate denuvo-haters
>>
>>389588314
>>389589878
Do you actually know how much a Denuvo protection license cost, or are you just talking out of your ass?

>>389590124
>Implying anyone gives a shit about F1 2017
Thanks for the chuckle, anon.
>>
>>389589798
agents of mayhem took 10 days, planet coaster took 205 days, ghost recon took 139 days.
>>
>>389590234
I do and many others! THERE ARE DOZENS OF US AROUND THE WORLD
DOZENS! maybe even 100 or so.
>>
>>389590234
If Denuvo actually cost millions then Sega wouldn't have shoved it onto a $20 Sonic game. And Bamco wouldn't have put it on God Eater or Berseria either.
>>
>>389590234
I was talking out of my ass, sorry. I don't think it costs millions though.
>>
i didnt even know what this shit was till i came to /v/. turned out i had like 6 games that use it and didn't even notice.
>>
>>389590124
what a stupid faggot. thinking that some versions of denuvo are exactly the same as others in how they're implemented. give it time, nigger. it'll be cracked just like all the rest. it's GAME OVER for these denuvo kikes.

> you
> being this fucking retarded
>>
File: pirate.jpg (42KB, 610x458px) Image search: [Google]
pirate.jpg
42KB, 610x458px
>>389587990
Play what you want cuz a pirate be free!~
Yo hoe fiddly dee YOU are a pirate!

Denuvo, the scourge, the rickety tramp who be wantin but doesn't put out I says, ~You hear her nag her man in the night, but she ain't be right! Avast her mouth he shout, but the harpy only wails worse she does!

While the ripe plum o' Venetian seas, be those games so good n free to you and me. My hook and crew are at ye service I say, because us freed men twain thair stems as friends; Harken back to those words of our freefathers, Let these shackled fin unbound, tis what maketh the world go round! Aye! Hip HIP Hooray!

An when ye find those freer waters, our heart dos beat and beakon, to giveth aye! For yonder great men who set sail to hammer them so are deserveth utmost accolades.
>>
>>389590776
>i-t-it-i-it cc-ccc--c-an-can be cracked in days!
>not even weeks!
>its been weeks
>it-ttititis-tsits different buaaaaaaaaaaaaah
sure
>>
File: 1473935081834.jpg (24KB, 387x461px) Image search: [Google]
1473935081834.jpg
24KB, 387x461px
>>389590776
>>389590948
>double falseflagging
>>
>>389589798
sonic mania took less than the time they delayed the game.

i still love how Sega blamed the developers for that too
>>
File: file.png (86KB, 320x180px) Image search: [Google]
file.png
86KB, 320x180px
>>389587990
Because they don't understand piracy and the potential profits it brings. Instead they fear what their informed consumer base will do when they realize their products are garbage without needing to impulse-buy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Qkyt1wXNlI
Thread posts: 34
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.