[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Monster Hunter; is it shit?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 2

File: monster hunter.jpg (133KB, 1280x768px) Image search: [Google]
monster hunter.jpg
133KB, 1280x768px
What's the deal with this series. It gets a lot of hype and praise.
All the gameplay footage and reviews i've seen involve
>buy big sword
>hit a dinosaur
>repeat
Is there any depth to it: can you explore, play different fighting styles etc. Or is it what you see is what you get.
Basically should i buy it for my 3DS or other console.
>>
slash sloosh slash slosh
>>
>>389587706
same appeal of diablo, none whatsoever
>>
this is a thinly veiled attempt at a "sell me on x game" thread. Do your own research
>>
>>389587706
Only played 3 and I think it's shit. The controls suck and the game is slow as fuck. Then again you can get a copy of any monster hunter for less than $15 so you can give them a try.
>>
>>389588824
It's not even thinly veiled. this is a video gaming board and I'm wondering if this highly claimed game is actually worth it. Direct from
the fans.
Wtf else do you talk about on /v/? traps?
>>
>>389589202
>talking about videogames
>trying to sell someone a videogame

I don't work for Capcom, I don't care if Capcom gets another sale.
>>
>>389589202
Exactly it's the videogame board not the advice board or the rec board.
Get the fuck out of here.
sage
>>
>>389587706
It's awful. You kill shit to buy/craft shit to kill bigger shit. Repeat. The actual combat is awful because the controls and combat barely work.
Don't fall for the multiplayer ruse.
>>
>>389589526
>Why is this big sword so slow
>>
>>389589724
Where is the lock on?
>>
>>389587706
Thats the basics, you also use monster parts to craft new weapons and armor. Generations has different fighting styles, but previous ones don't. Every weapon acts differently and they are fun to use.
Oh and there is multiplayer too.

3u and 4u are good starting points. Give it a try if you can get it cheap, some of my friends hate this series and others love it.
>>
Why is monster hunter so bad? As an expert in dark souls games I thought this game would be about the same. But no, it's full of bullshit. Weapons are slow as shit, like it takes 5 seconds to get a swing off, what the fuck. And then the monsters attack and I roll, but they always hit me. Speaking of the monsters why do they have so much health? Like it takes me 40 minutes to kill this dragon lizard looking thing swinging my giant sword around. Can't even more properly with this thing, i'm stuck with walking everywhere. Fuck this game, never try this piece of shit, don't fall for it guys. This game isn't fun, it's complete shit
>>
>>389587706
I like the grind, the fact that besides the gunner weapons you can't play each weapon type the same way, and mastering and memorizing the behaviors and attacks of the whole monster roster is incredibly satisfying to me.

BUT
Similar to musou games, Monster Hunter as a series and a genre is not for everyone. It's mechanics, dripfeed of loot, and style of play can be polarizing. If you don't like, there is no reason to press the issue. Autists will give you shit and call you a pleb for not understanding why they like the game, but they're so far gone that they forgot that Monster Hunter has never been an easily approachable series.

If anyone would want to jump into the series, I would recommend 3U (easiest early game besides one very specific mission, and it's on a console) and 4U (best newbie tutorial in the series). If the game still isn't to your taste, then maybe Monster Hunter just isn't for you, and that's understandable. It takes a certain kind of person to enjoy these games, but that doesn't mean it's some sort of exclusive club that makes you a better person by being a MonHun fan.

Also Brachy is best boy. Zinogger is for furfags.
>>
Monster hunter Thread
>Post weapons
>Best mh
>Best monster
>>
File: 1503071118437.png (138KB, 283x267px) Image search: [Google]
1503071118437.png
138KB, 283x267px
>>389590493
>But they're so far gone that they forgot that Monster Hunter has never been an easily approachable series.
>Literally a social phenomenom in japan
>Million seller franchise that even kids play
>Not easily approachable
MH is plenty approachable, that's what makes it good and successful, don't even try to say it's somehow too sophisticated or out of range for the average audience outside of the setting or some sort of skin feeling, because anyone can play MH, it's not even remotely deep as MHfags here on 4chan or in the west try to pass it off.
>>
monhun stories in like, 2 days, AWWW YISSS.
>>
>>389587706
It's pretty much a game where you do nothing but fight boss battles and become stronger mainly by becoming better at the game. For a first time player the game feels very clunky as animations are long and the weapon's movesets can be unintuitive, but this provides the challenge and fun of the game. As you progress through the game and learn how to properly use your weapon, you find that a monster that took you nearly 40 minutes to kill takes now only 15 minutes even in the same gear. Plus it is a massive timesink game so if you enjoy it you can play it almost indefinitely. I picked up the series at 4u, but between 4u and Generations I've sunk almost 400 hours into the series and am still improving my playstyle. If you're not interested in investing time to learn how to play a game then it is definitely not the game for you.
>>
>>389591160
>Japanese
>normal people
Ebin

And it's not about the depth. You either click with the gameplay or you end up like the countless others who call the game slow and repetive. If I buy a handful of people the game, people I know just aren't clueless shitters, they'll understand the gameplay fine enough, but chances are they won't play enough to leave village low rank.
>>
>>389591058
Me hammer big and strong unga bunga
>>
>>389587706
the entire game is a boss rush, as far as depth go there are 14 weapon types (15 in Generations), each weapon type normally sticks to one type of damage with exceptions (blunt, cutting, piercing, neutral, bullet, elemental). Bosses take damage based on the bodyparts hit among other modifiers
>blunt
deals damage that can topple a monster if you hit the head enough
>cutting
deals slicing based damage, has the ability to sever tails
>shot
used on bows and bowguns, they get a special modifier that varies when firing at a specific range
>Piercing
used on Lance and Gunlance, acts like cutting damage but if a bodypart is hit that takes more blunt damage than cutting, it uses the blunt damage hitzone for calculations
>neutral
deals static damage that is unaffected by the bodypart the attack lands on. In some situations has the ability to KO like a blunt weapon (Impact Phials on Charge Blade, Crag Shots)
>elemental
Monsters have part-damage that varies with your element along with main damage type, Light Bowgun, Heavy Bowgun in few games, and Elemental Phial Charge Blades are really the only things good at dealing this damage
>>
As someone who has tried to give the MH series multiple chances in both demos and buying several games in full price. It's basically an acquired taste series.

Yes there's more to the game than swinging a sword, yes there are variety of fighting styles but the praise is over hyped akin to the dragon quest series. MH is Phantasy Star Online with heavy emphasis on grinding and enemy pursuing. But less emphasis on atmosphere.

I am however excited to get MH Stories which apparently didn't to well in Japan which only highlights the difference in taste.
>>
>>389587706
Not sure but when I tried this game on my 3DS there was no lock on so that put me off.

Then no damage indicator and no HP bar for the monster?? Seriously we're in 2017 (well ok the game is couple years old). Weapons were slow as fuck, using items take forever, the whole thing was just clunky.

I kept dying on that Jaggi thing and then I gave up. Glad I only borrowed it from a friend.

Would not recommend.
>>
>>389587706
Its not for you and that's ok.
>>
>>389587706
I dunno, why did people like Shadow of the Colossus?
All you do is platform onto a monster then stab it a few times.
>>
>>389593320

>stale pasta is stale.

0/10 see me after class F-
>>
>>389593653
not really applicable when Shadow of the Colossus is a puzzle game in disguise when Monster Hunter is pure action
>>
>>389593320
If you're going to shit post at least pretend to actually have played the game.
Monster Hunter on the 3DS actually has lock on.
There are several weapons that are actually pretty fast to use.
Dying on a Jaggi is literally impossible.
>>
>>389593320

>Then no damage indicator and no HP bar for the monster??

That's the point, why do you think there's so much animation in those monsters you fight? You're supposed to use visual cues to notice health.

>Weapons were slow as fuck, using items take forever, the whole thing was just clunky.

This is true for blunt weapons, but you could have either gone with range or double handed weapons for faster movement.

I personally don't like the games and emphasize with you on this topic but I at least gave it enough of a chance to recognize what it was and what it offer.
>>
>>389593761
Monster hunter is a puzzle game though.
You learn the monster and how to beat it most effectively.
Where are its weak points?
What element or status is the most useful?
What are its attack patterns and behaviours?
Running up and hitting things with a big sword till it dies is the most basic way to play monster hunter for people who post shitty copy pastas.
>>
>>389587706
This game is all about the hunt. It's not for people who want instant gratification.

Fools say it's comparable to Dark Souls only because it's the only game that the majority of the playerbase can relate to.

It is not Dark Souls like where people can take on bosses without armour and the weakest weapons. This game is all about preparation.
>>
>>389594293
that's why stories is so fucking neat.

it's even comfier and preperation and planning-ier.

with eggshards and laris etc, and gene fusion breeding whatever... it's all about making good monseters and raising them up right. plus monsters being out and about on the field all the time unlike other rpg's means you can pick and choose much better.
>>
>>389595689
Okay that's a whole different point but good for you.
>>
>>389587706
Don't worry, Monster Hunter World will be more like Dark Souls so that you western friends can enjoy the series too and feel included! :)
Thread posts: 34
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.