[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

GamingBrit

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 62
Thread images: 5

Was he right about Ratchet UYA? Is it actually the worst of the original three?
>>
>>389556036
I don't know who that is but 1 is the worst considering 2 and 3 improved on it in every aspect
>>
>>389556036
I think it was the most rushed definitely. I still really like the game but Brit was spot on about the poor enemy variety and multiplayer maps being shoved into the single player.

It being the weakest of the trilogy isn't saying much, it's a very solid trilogy.
>>
Some of the levels don't feel as polished but the actual gameplay is buttery smooth.
>>
2>3>1
>>
>>389556535
Maybe, but it's also by far the comfiest.
>>
>>389557163
The improvements to gameplay mechanics aren't enough to account for the dumbing down of level design.
>>
E celeb shit should be baned
>>
File: Angela.jpg (389KB, 789x1189px) Image search: [Google]
Angela.jpg
389KB, 789x1189px
I feel like a lot of the fanbase is too harsh on Ratchet and Clank 1.
The main criticism is always brought up is the lack of strafing. But Ratchet 1's enemy and level design never makes this an issue IMO. In the later games enemies will fire fast projectiles at you in quick succession from any distance so it becomes necessary to flip out of the way quickly, but the first game's enemies are lenient enough that until late game you don't really feel unfairly handicapped.
The other main feature this game is missing is the RPG mechanics. Again, this didn't bother me much. The first game is absolutely full of optional paths and behind nearly every one there's a new gizmo. Just by exploring each level you can find the Sonic Summoner, the Suck Cannon, the Zoomerator, the Bolt Detector, both Nanotech upgrades, the Persuader, the Hydro-Pack, the Gemlik Base Gold Weapon store, the Quack-O-Ray and PDA, the Map-O-Matic and the Code Bot. Not one of these items is mandatory and yet they all have dedicated parts of the level with cool and unique platforming challenges. That's before you even start counting all the Gold Bolts. As far as I'm concerned, it's way more interesting to discover secrets hidden in all the levels than it is to watch a few meters fill up. All of your weapons are useful throughout all of Ratchet 1 because of this.
Besides the gameplay, the first game has the best atmosphere of the games. It has the best art style, the best music, the best writing and the best setting. Just compare the planets which came back in Ratchet 3 like Blackwater City, Aridia and Metropolis to see the difference.

The second game remembered a lot of what made the first game so memorable to me, but it did feel like too many of the rough edges had been sanded down. For me the first game felt like like I was exploring a huge galaxy, meeting new and quirky aliens around every corner and bustling with life. By the third game I was being led by the nose through a bunch of setpieces.
>>
Honestly I always felt the third was a little on the weaker side compared to Going Commando.

The real underappreciated gem of the series is Deadlocked. I hated it when it first came out because it seemed way edgier from the previous games, but upon replaying it the humor was actually still there and co-op was a blast
>>
>>389559480
me and a friend played Co-op a few years ago on it, most fun I had playing a video in a while
>>
>>389559480
Deadlocked is such a great game. The co-op, the weapons, the soundtrack - everything in that was a solid R&C experience imo.
>>
>>389560172
The coop is what makes the game worthwhile IMO.
>>
>>389560172
WADDYA THINK OF THAT WHANNEETA!?
>>
>>389556036
I haven't watched his video yet (I've seen the one about the Rachet and Clank "reboot" for PS4), but from my personal experience I can say that it is indeed the worst one.

Many of the stages were pretty much concepts or tutorials for the multiplayer mode they added in this game. I don't know if it was a sign of rushed development or simply because they wanted to push the multiplayer mode so much at the expense of the overall single player experience but it was pretty weak.

R&C1 and Going Commando are the best ones but Jak and Daxter: The Precursor Legacy is still the best out of the PS2 first party platformers
>>
How was the remake? It's the only R&C game I haven't played outside of the PSP games
>>
>>389560913
J&D us too easy and short IMO, but I agree on everything else.
>>
File: Juanita.jpg (280KB, 900x377px) Image search: [Google]
Juanita.jpg
280KB, 900x377px
>>389560385
>WHANNEETA!?

Those movie fuckers ruined her
>>
>>389561141
What didn't the remake ruin?
>>
>>389561141
When the fuck did this happen?
>>
>>389560975
I enjoyed the gameplay but the story is entirely butchered and awful, not to mention lots of the story isnt actually explained in game because it assumes you watched the movie. Most in-game cutscenes are just clips of the movie.
>>
1 is the worst by virtue of just having less of everything, but it's the first what do you expect?
3 edges ahead of 2 for me just because of weapons going nuts in 3
>>
>>389561439
What, is it a companion for the movie? I haven't watched it yet
>>
>>389561570
>What, is it a companion for the movie?

Pretty much
>>
>>389561728
Shit, I should probably watch it then
>>
>>389561768

It wasn't very good
>>
>>389561926
that's weird since the games usually have such good comedy
>>
>consuming *nglo media
>>
>>389561980
The movie wasn't made by Insomniac. They just swapped models with the developers of the movie to make sure the game and movie looked consistent.
>>
>>389561980
Sony pictures fucked it, the future trilogy writer fucked off due to creative clashes
>>
>>389562262
>>389562390
Fuckin a', I'll watch it just for curiosities sake then. I bet that pissed Insomniac off seeing it be poorly handled
>>
Vote lads
http://www.strawpoll.me/13873974
>>
>>389562390

The Future trilogy wasn't even as good for humor as the original games
>>
going commando is very rough desu
>>
>>389562674
Yea but it's a sign your in for a shit ride if tj doesn't want anything to do with it
>>
>>389562804
It holds up imo. The only part which I feel doesn't flow well is the Thugs 4 Less boss on Snivelak.
>>
He has an absolute nostalgia harddon for 1. He pointed out some of UYA's flaws well but watch him gloss over all of R&C 1's or excuse them for being the first game. Yes, being the first game is an excuse, but it is simply explaining why something is - not disputing that it is. So for example R&C 1 has no strafing, which is a huge hit compared to the second and third games, but it's justified because of it being the first game. However just because it's justified doesn't mean it isn't a negative compared to 2 and 3.

I mean really, if he's going to offer a new radical opinion that the real rankings are 1>2>3 or 2>1>3, then by all means I'm willing to listen to it. But the consensus has always been 3>2>1 or 2>3>1 for good reason. I think the notion that "everyone says UYA is the best" is made up, when really the consensus is that 2, 3 and ACiT are the best in no particular order.
>>
>>389562674
Future Trilogy was fun
>>
>>389562990

Tools of Destruction was the blandest Ratchet and Clank game I ever played
>>
>>389562990
>trilogy
Tools and ACiT you mean. Quest for Ass wasn't even a full R&C game. And two small-games doesn't equate to full fledged game (QfB + Nexus).
>>
>>389562971
Lacking strafing is only a negative if the enemies are as aggressive as they are in the later games. The game is balanced around the lack of strafing and the enemies don't take advantage of your ability to strafe like they might in 2 or 3.
There are only a few moments (the copter on Orxon and the elite Blarg on Kalebo III come to mind) where you can't deal with a situation fairly because you can't strafe.
>>
File: Talwyn_2.jpg (486KB, 1280x1186px) Image search: [Google]
Talwyn_2.jpg
486KB, 1280x1186px
>>389563162
>Quest for Ass
Little did he know, the ass was in front of him all along
>>
>>389563162

Quest for Booty was actually more enjoyable than Tools of Destruction
>>
>>389559480
I never got why Deadlocked got so much shit. I also loved the upgrade system and how it just got retarded after a certain point.
>>
>>389563217
Good point, but that's just one aspect of it. There's a myriad of other improvements and content that 2 and 3 had compared to R&C 1. I think saying that R&C 1 was designed around no-strafing is a good point, but also its addition + new levels designed around strafing can generally be considered an improvement to R&C 2 and 3, rather than the lack of strafing necessarily being a problem with R&C 1. I suppose that's a more valid and also more positive way of looking at it.
>>
>>389556036
My only gripe about UYA are those military missions, they just get so repetitive.
>>
>>389556036
The real question is what's the best Insomniac Museum?
>>
>>389556036
1 is the worst by far. 1 plays like sphynx and the cursed mummy. 2 is excellent, 3 is less excellent, deadlocked is fucking fun but not the best ratchet and clank game. Haven't played future as I made the shift to pc before they came out. Anyone saying up your arsenal is the worst of anything, be it all of RnC or the original trilogy are fucking dumb.
>>
File: 1489108429119.jpg (104KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
1489108429119.jpg
104KB, 640x480px
>>389563987
the best Insomniac Museum is the youtube series of the two developer guys running through the games
>>
>>389564127
How many of the games do they run through?
>>
>>389564235
all 3 ps2 games but i think a couple of episodes are with his annoying as fuck wife
>>
>>389564117
Hopefully that PS3 emulator makes progress, ACiT is really fucking good (albeit a bit short in content).
>>
>>389564235
https://www.youtube.com/user/uselesspodcasts/search?query=ratchet
they are some of the comfiest fucking videos on this earth and super interesting
>>
>>389563632
>Tiny weapon pool
>Only new gadgets are the bot weapons
>Levels are now segmented into 5 minute missions instead of being sprawling worlds
>No NPCs to interact with (thank god for the cutscenes, the writing is top stuff there)
>The only respite from combat is the vehicle sections
If you can understand why people disliked the multiplayer map missions in 3, you should be able to see why people were unhappy with Deadlocked. I feel like it met its potential on the whole though.

>>389563742
Ratchet 2 shifted the balance too far in favour of combat IMO, Ratchet 3 especially. I loved the platforming challenges in 1, there's so much cool stuff like the rising water on Rilgar or the harsh winds and ice physics on Oltanis. I really felt it kept the game fresh.
2 added plenty of new gameplay styles, but they felt more like halfassed minigames rather than applications of the fun and polished standard movement mechanics the first game introduced.
>>
>>389564554
True, Deadlocked was pure combat and I guess I always never felt the series was that interesting as a platformer, but I can see why others would be let down.
>>
>>389563296
"But at this point there's more for me here then over there."

>looks at Talwyn

he coming for that ass.
>>
>>389565006
I hope they don't reboot the series, not that I think there's any indication they will, but I want them to continue where they left off with Into the Nexus
>>
>>389565105

Honestly I'm not sure where Ratchet and Clank is gonna go now. I'm not sure the reboot did all that well sales-wise and I'm unsure if Insomniac wants to go back to making more Ratchet and Clank games (their main studio probably won't be)
>>
>>389566774
I hope they do, they left Nexus off with a cliffhanger after all
>>
>>389556535
fpbp
>>
>>389564420
I enjoyed many of them but the sheer length left me wanting a highlight reel of the most interesting tidbits
>>
>>389565105
I hope they go back to the pre reboot series as well.

>>389566774
the only place i could find sells numbers for it was VGchartz and that says it sold 2.18m. that's pretty good desu.

http://www.vgchartz.com/game/83085/ratchet-amp-clank-2016/
Thread posts: 62
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.