[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How do we ressurrect the RTS genre?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 3

File: uyyuyuy.jpg (141KB, 1500x900px) Image search: [Google]
uyyuyuy.jpg
141KB, 1500x900px
How do we ressurrect the RTS genre?
>>
>>389553034
Not by making a moba thats for sure
>>
>>389553034
Not by trying to copy Starcraft 1.
>>
>>389553034
It's flawed as a genre, it's dead and it will stay dead. AOE4 is going to be a one off thing.
>>
>>389553034
>Increase Scale
>Unit cap of 10,000 per player
>3 v 3
>Huge maps
>Interesting factions and teams
>Alternative Modern Day ala MGS
>>
>>389554539
>muh scale
Somebody got bullied in Starcraft
>>
>>389553034
Solid campaign and no focus on e-sport with retard balance.
People will play the multiplayer if the mechanic are fun.
>>
>>389553034
You can't make any big RTS games anymore.

They will either be gimmicky or have to be already established games or universes anymore.

THere won't be any serious/competitive RTS games because MOBA games exist.
>>
>>389553034

Stop cloning Starcraft.
>>
find a publisher that doesn't want to turn it into a moba
>>
mp and singleplayer should be treated separately without impacting each other, for one
>>
Right now I'm optimistic. AoE IV in works, 0AD shaping up nicely, many new mods for BfME2, CnC series, Total War games, SoaSE and other great titles.

Dawn of War 3 is such a shame.
>>
>people who want basebuilding are gonna play banished
>people who want battles are going to command thousands in total war games
>people who want autistic clicking will play starcraft

Only established franchises are going to be able to release RTS games that sell well based on nostalgia
>>
>>389554816
no such thing. I'm assuming you mean "m-muh gookclick build orders". Every rts, no- EVERY GAME will have an optimal way to play it and there will be people that play it that way, so deal with it. It's like playing an fps and saying "m-muh aim, camping around corners"
>>
>>389553034
>have a good story for the campaign mode
>each faction has a unique yet balanced playstyle
>have actual strategy instead of just focusing on who has the most units
>provide map editor and support mods
>larger scale battles beyond only having around 50 units or so like in WC3 and SC2

Pretty much just take everything Supreme Commander did well and make each faction as unique as Grey Goo, but have each different unit be specialized enough for the player to have to consider army composition rather than just amassing a fuck ton of only a couple units.
>>
>>389554672
>Blizzbaby

Scale is needed to separate it from the competition.
>>
>>389555147
>>people who want basebuilding are gonna play banished
Banished is shit after a few hours. Every game is the same, there's nothing you can do differently.
>>
>>389553034

Bring back the good ideas from Supreme Commander/Dawn of War/Rise of Legends/Command and Conquer 3 era. Make armies bigger and fights flashier. General appeal of RTSses for casuals was the fact you could build a fuckhuge army and clash in a chaotic battle where 100+ units were fighting at once. Technically RTSses have gotten better over time but somewhere in the mix they forgot the FEEL of playing an RTS which is important. This is why Total Warhammer is doing reasonably well despite stupid DLC bullshit and Dow 3 isn't, they captured the FEEL of commanding huge armies, while DoW 3 concentrated on stupid Starcraft bullshit. Supreme Commander 2 was a flop for that very same reason.
>>
>>389554816
Starcraft and Warcraft were based on Warhammer tabletop games. They are digital clones of an existing game.
>>
File: reece.jpg (27KB, 504x415px) Image search: [Google]
reece.jpg
27KB, 504x415px
>>389555612
>obligatory fa/tg/uy here to remind us Blizzard copied GW

thanks, I nearly fucking forgot
>>
>>389555284
>>389554539
What the fuck is the points of "thousands of units"? From practical standpoint, there's no difference between 50 units and 50000 units, only artificial spectacle effect. You aren't gonna be able to command a large army any more efficiently than a small one.
>>
>>389555612
>Warhammer invented fantasy
>Warhammer 40K invented sci-fi
>I'm retarded and enjoy big black penises in my sissified boipussy
>>
>>389554539
Literally Command & Conquer
>>389553230
>>389554364
Relic better not fuck this one up ffs
>>
>>389555593
This, exactly this. RTS are one of my favourite genre and one of the reasons is that, having armies clashing against each other while slowly building stronger and cooler units. Look at TWW for example, the moment CA used the Warhammer franchise their game was a complete success despite the old fanbase being quite divided about it. I honestly prefer the gameplay of a classic rts like DoW but WH has the best looking and more variagated number of units and armies right now on the market.
>>
>>389553034
I'd say focus in part on PvE, it's one of the few modes that allow for some competitive strategy rather than focusing on apm.
>>
>>389553034
Microsoft is doing that as we speak.

>AoE Definitive Edition
>AoE2 and 3 Definitive Editions
>AoE4

All they need to do now is make AoM2.
>>
>>389555898
having hundreds of units makes the game more challenging. Rather than focusing on controlling at most 2 or 3 groups of units, you would be controlling dozens.

Play competitive supreme commander for a bit, you'll see what I mean.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wfZv38oJ0YM
>>
Member Majesty? I would love to see that formula brought back on steroids. You build things but you don't directly control things. You are a ruler not a puppeteer. You are a powerful person in a kingdom full of creatures with a mind and agency of their own.
No wonder games like Dorf Fort and Rimworld are succeeding, but I think they take the autism sim too far, I want something more "gamey" and challenging
>>
File: 1375390502870.jpg (317KB, 1067x1600px) Image search: [Google]
1375390502870.jpg
317KB, 1067x1600px
>>389554672
>there are people here that have never played SupCom or Total Annihilation.
Casuals, all of them.
>>
>>389555898

You explained it yourself. A spectacle effect. And as bigger armies get, more difficult it is to control them, which has been a fact all throughout real history as well. Its fine if you can't control every single footstep of every single tiny speck of a unit in a huge army, the whole point of two big armies clashing is that chaos ensues, and the commander who can control that chaos to somewhat bigger extent than the other one is the victor.
Thread posts: 30
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.