[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I would have preferred high-res sprites.

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 37
Thread images: 10

File: som.png (671KB, 611x779px) Image search: [Google]
som.png
671KB, 611x779px
I would have preferred high-res sprites.
>>
File: Lost Tech.jpg (264KB, 963x671px) Image search: [Google]
Lost Tech.jpg
264KB, 963x671px
>>389548890
>>
>>389548890

Would have been way more work and it wouldn't have improved sales enough to compensate.
>>
>>389548982
That's a bad name
>>
>>389548982
>>
>>389549040
Excuse my tech illiteracy but I don't get how sprites are more work than animated 3d models?
>>
hey it comes out the day of my bday
>>
>>389549094
It's a post-apocalyptic fantasy setting
>>
>>389549165
Good looking sprites are really fucking hard, they're basically just like 2D drawings

While 3d modeling can be just as demanding and is certainly able to support a huge amount of detail, the models in that screenshot are low poly (in a bad way) with simple ugly textures that are neither realistic (and lack nice features like normal maps, ambient occlusion, etc) nor are they nicely done NPR or tune shaded, they barely qualify as "hand painted" they are so low quality
>>
>>389549165
Sprites are hand drawn and have every frame of animation hand animated. 3D models are much faster to build and animate.
>>
>>389549165

Higher resolution and more animations (there are a lot of weapon types to account for in SoM) make sprites exponentially more costly to produce. Models can be re-used and re-animated.

Got three characters who can use a sword? You can either draw sprites for each character and each attack, or make your models and a set of animations they can all share.

Besides, I think they are taking assets from some mobile game they did. That right there makes for a huge cut in the time/money investment.
>>
>>389549548
meant to write "toon shading", though NPR (non-photo realistic) already covered that. For really excellent 3D toon shading check out Guilty Gear Xrd. The tl;dr though on their method is that basically every single frame of animation had to be hand tweaked (specifically the normals of the model) to get an even and nice effect.
>>
>>389549606
>Got three characters who can use a sword? You can either draw sprites for each character and each attack, or make your models and a set of animations they can all share.
You could just recolor the same sprite and have it use the same animations. That's what most games used to do.
>>
will it really be 40$ ?

how can they ever justify this over such a lazy makeover?
>>
W-well at least it looks like Brave Fencer Musashi
>>
>>389549696
>listed $40
>people interested but don't buy it, generates interest though
>shortly after release, steam sale occurs
>steamsters can't afford NOT to buy it
>>
>>389549675

Secret of mana has three playable characters. If they fucking recolored the main dude not only would that be apocalyptically lazy but there would be a huge, rightly deserved backlash for it.
>>
>>389550062
Ah, didn't realize you were referring to party characters. Yeah, recoloring usually doesn't happen to party members, it's just for enemies.
>>
File: 1361575084262.gif (621KB, 440x247px) Image search: [Google]
1361575084262.gif
621KB, 440x247px
>People chimping out over low poly
Low poly is fucking awesome you queers
>>
File: gravity rush 2.jpg (167KB, 850x440px) Image search: [Google]
gravity rush 2.jpg
167KB, 850x440px
>>389548890
if they insisted on going 3D they could have at least done cel shading instead of this cheap plastic look. I mean, we could have gotten something as gorgeous as Gravity Rush 2's artstyle.
>>
>>389550062
>They release the first ever DLC for this game
>It's 3 brand new characters that suspiciously look like they just recolored the 3 original characters.
>Fans gobble that shit up
>>
Has there been a single 2.5D game that doesn't look like soulless trash? What is it about that style that just seems so generic?
>>
>>389550215
>Low poly is fucking awesome
Only when it looks like this
>>
>>389550418
Aesthetic is learned. Your brain is used to the errors that are constant in 2D, so when you see 3D that produces errorless 2D images you think it looks off.
Also the uncanny valley effect. The 2.5D drifts away from cartoony abstract and moves closer towards realism but without the level of detail or accuracy (due to an attempt at stylized characters and objects) that makes you feel like it's "off".
>>
File: 1414628054166.png.jpg (44KB, 524x402px) Image search: [Google]
1414628054166.png.jpg
44KB, 524x402px
>>389550540
>Liking shitty early 3D
>Thinking early 3D=low poly
Consider suicide
>>
>>389550215
Only when it's done well. Really excellent lowpoly takes as much effort as high poly.
>>
>>389548890
Too much effort for current square.
I'm just glad we didn't get bastardised versions of whatever the fuck the FFVI sprites were supposed to be.

>>389550215
Low poly works if you work with the limitations rather than against them. That's why many games from that era don't hold up now: they try to hard for realism that when games get more realistic, they don't have a sense of their own style to stand out. They just become obsolete in the grander scheme of things.
>>
>>389550787
>He thinks Vagrant Story wasn't low poly
HAHAHAHAHA Now I'm sure you don't know anything about low poly
>>
>>389548890
I wouldnt mind if they bothered to do some proper shading

the color pallete works in 2d, in 3d looks like a fucking mess, can't distinguish shit
>>
>>389548890
Animating a high resolution pixel art sprite takes loads more time and talent than making low poly models

You'd have to pay $100 for a game like that.
>>
>>389550971
>Those faces
>Low poly
>Not just the devs failing to the embrace the hardware
>>
>>389550787
early 3D by its definition was low polygon count

do you get triggered by people calling NES 8 bit and SNES games 16 bit now too, even though you can emulate the same style today? hell, Shovel Knight is a good example
>>
>>389551436
>early 3D by its definition was low polygon count
Wrong, a vast majority of early 3D games fail to embrace the low polygon count the had to work with. Low poly art embraces and works with the restriction. It's not remotely the same as 8-bit vs 16- bit vs general pixel graphics like you're talking about
>>
>>389549165
Once you build the model, you can pose it in 3D. 3D is more cost effective long term.You can't pose sprites, every frame needs a new sprite.
>>
File: Fmission3.jpg (44KB, 630x473px) Image search: [Google]
Fmission3.jpg
44KB, 630x473px
>>389551196
>Already lost what little credibility he had
>Still keeps talking
XD
It's always better when fools like you just keep their mouth shut
>>
File: bird dapper coke zero.jpg (128KB, 576x768px) Image search: [Google]
bird dapper coke zero.jpg
128KB, 576x768px
>>389551636
>Low poly art embraces and works with the restriction.
Which is exactly what Shovel Knight did with 8 bit (besides extra sound channels IIRC).

Yet we still call NES games 8 bit today; they coexist in the same space despite being made decades apart. The only difference here is that the "low" in low poly is a vague superlative and not a hard number like 8.

http://polycount.com/discussion/41232/lowpoly-sub-1000-triangle-models

Polycount's rule for low poly is 1000 tris or lower.

http://forum.lowpolyworkshop.com/topic/9130085/1/

Unfortunately this thread has a shitton of examples yet none of them are PS1. Assuming System Shock, Thief, and Half Life are slightly more elaborate than the PS1 tech, we're looking at about 700-1000 polygons for PC games in ~1998, so I think about 500 would be fair to say for an average PS1 character. Without knowing vertices it's impossible to convert polys to tris (it could either be a 1:1 ratio or a 1:2 ratio), so let's go with a middle estimate and say 500 polys is 750 tris.

The Polycount limitation of 1000 tris firmly puts "low poly" in the domain of the PS1 era, which includes Vagrant Story. Your move.
>>
>>389552239
>Your move.
He never had a move because he never knew what he was talking about in the first place. He's the typical dumbass that likes to throw around buzzwords like "low-poly" when talking about qualities of games and then pretends he actually knows what it means then conveniently shuts up, disappears, or makes some snarky reply when he's btfo.
Thread posts: 37
Thread images: 10

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.