[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Science Fiction Vidya

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 39
Thread images: 7

File: 53421bc9e3[1].jpg (234KB, 848x574px) Image search: [Google]
53421bc9e3[1].jpg
234KB, 848x574px
Alright fags, put down your dakimakura and strap on your visor because we're going to sci-fi vidya town

Hard sci-fi or soft sci-fi, /v/?
>>
How exactly is Rimworld hard scifi
>>
>>389515297
It doesn't have some lore shit explaining how technology breaks the laws of physics
No FTL travel is the big one, humans have done a lot of technological shit and colonized a lot of the galaxy but there's no FTL travel, so interstellar empires are impossible and each planet can be on a very different tech level to one another
Travel between the stars takes tens to thousands of years
>>
>>389515582
But it has nanobots and cryogenics and shit, do those not disqualify it?
>>
>>389515735
Within a decade IRL those won't be fiction anymore
>>
>>389515735
No because those aren't outside the realm of possibility as we currently understand things
Theoretically we could build tiny medical nanobots and freeze people for thousands of years but we haven't figured out how to yet
We have strong evidence to say that going faster than light is impossible
>>
>>389515826
Will you freeze yourself, /v/? Do you want to see what happens to humans in the far future?
>>
I like science fiction fantasy, like Destiny, but good.
>>
>>389514863
I really like both, honestly. I think I prefer soft sci-fi but I can't say that with certainty. Not vidya but I've been playing that Tabletop game Starfinder on the weekends and I've been having a blast with that setting and would love that in vidya form but I think the industry could use some more hard sci-fi games.
>>
>>389515936
Maybe
I'm willing to bet money that the future will be pretty shit
If we don't all die out in the next century for whatever reason, I see no reason why the future will be any different from now but with even more ways to fuck over our fellow man
>>
>>389516021
What do you think of the Endless Legend?
It's really more of fantasy sci-fi, a bunch of fantasy shit going on but all of it is explained as the remnants of a huge space empire
>>
>>389515582
Their are other ways of theoretically getting around the galaxy which have nothing to do with violating the speed of light such as wormholes.

Also check out:
http://www.gravitywarpdrive.com/Gravity_Generator.htm
>>
File: 1db9ff6a409e10494067fb8074d88664.jpg (1009KB, 758x1050px) Image search: [Google]
1db9ff6a409e10494067fb8074d88664.jpg
1009KB, 758x1050px
>>389514863
I like both.

Favorite is attempts at middle ground, where everything on the ship has fully explained functions and plenty of technobabble for plausible if unscientific explanations for how it does what it does. Stuff like the basis of Star Trek. They go off on ridiculous soft sci-fi tangents, but the technology itself is mostly well explained.

I'd kill for a walking/dating simulator set on a backwater, well-worn space station, with a heavy cyberpunk aesthetic to the technology and lots of alien races with crazy backstories and personalities.
>>
>>389516460
I was thinking about wormholes as well.
>>
How about this question, do you like space sci-fi with aliens or a human-only affair
>>
Retro Sci-Fi > All other Sci-Fi

Give me chrome, give me glass bubble helmets, give me silly looking laser guns with fins and rings, give me bikini space chicks. Give me all the fun Retro Sci-Fi shit we once had. I didn't need explanations on how stuff works, I didn't need intense stories and crazy lots. I just want ADVENTURE.
>>
>>389516736
>tfw filk
>tfw Carmen Miranda's Ghost
>>
>>389516727
Aliens. Human only is unbelievably boring, and the sci-fi setting just becomes window dressing for bullshit human drama and politics. They never actually do sci-fi shit in human only sci-fi, you could just as easily set it on modern day earth with a couple rewrites and lose nothing but some nice space graphics.
>>
>>389516858
>filk
So, like space cowboy campfire singing?
>>
>>389516980
I agree with you except in the case of space horror
A cold mostly empty universe is cool as fuck for spook factor
Like Dead Space or Duskers
>>
More hard sci-fi vidya would be great but it takes a lot of work, immense knowledge of actually tech and fine-tuning to get it right. Easier to go with laser swords and space magic.
>>
>>389517275
Those have aliens. I genuinely can't think of a video game that does it. The only movies I can think of are MOON and Sunshine. Even Solaris and 2001:ASO technically have potential alien lifeforms affecting humans.
>>
>>389516501
>>I'd kill for a walking/dating simulator set on a backwater, well-worn space station, with a heavy cyberpunk aesthetic to the technology and lots of alien races with crazy backstories and personalities.

I'd settle for a GTA-styled sandbox game on a space station or giant Cruiser. Especially if you get to partake in space battles as well.
>>
>>389517616
Dead Space has aliens but they're all dead
Humans are currently alone in the galaxy barring moon sized superorganisms
Duskers only has non-sentient lifeforms
And they might not even be actual life

Also as far as movies go, Pandorum and Event Horizon count as well
>>
>>389516736
That would be an amazing setting for an RPG.
>>
File: 1478741379460.jpg (2MB, 1920x1200px) Image search: [Google]
1478741379460.jpg
2MB, 1920x1200px
>>389514863
>Hard sci-fi or soft sci-fi, /v/?
I lean towards soft more often than not, but I'm honestly cool with either so long as it lets me have a little fun.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FH8lvwXx_Y8
>>
>no comfy sci-fi based shooter a la Mass Effect

It's not fair.
>>
>>389517809
>Pandorum
Fuck, forgot that one, good call.

>Event Horizon
Ehh, I guess travelling to a dimension of pure pain doesn't technically count as alien involvement, it seems flimsy. You could replace him going through that with getting possessed in a spooky house and the difference would be minimal. Not to say it's a bad movie or even that the sci-fi window dressing isn't nice, it's just flat for the potential available.
>>
File: Frontier_elite2_screenshot.gif (9KB, 320x200px) Image search: [Google]
Frontier_elite2_screenshot.gif
9KB, 320x200px
Original Elite II is amazing.
Elite: Dangerous is also nice, but it has a long way to go.
>>
File: 03.png (600KB, 900x506px) Image search: [Google]
03.png
600KB, 900x506px
>>389518721
E:D
>>
>>389518691
Why is Pandorum so goddamn underrated
>>
File: USS_Reliant.jpg (70KB, 1780x900px) Image search: [Google]
USS_Reliant.jpg
70KB, 1780x900px
>>389518306
>Miranda-class

My niggest of niggas.

>tfw this will never be a video game or movie
https://youtu.be/w34fSnJNP-4
>>
>>389518850
Legitimately too deep for plebs. That's often the trouble with any kind of sci-fi.
>>
>>389518929
Didn't see it, what was so deep about it?
>>
>>389519265
Go, watch now. There are multiple massive spoilers to the plot. It's a great movie, you'll love it.
>>
>>389519530
This
Honestly before I watched it I was under the impression that it was some shitty B horror movie
But it's one of my favorites now, so goddamn good
>>
b u m p
>>
File: M1.jpg (2MB, 3840x2160px) Image search: [Google]
M1.jpg
2MB, 3840x2160px
>>389518854
Miranda-class is best class. All the tools for any job, but in a comfier, more compact package.
>>
>>389515858
What kind of fucking theories are reading that says we can build cure-all bullshit nanobots?
Thread posts: 39
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.