[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>kill the vortigaunts in the dozens in the first game >treat

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 5

File: half life.jpg (79KB, 800x600px) Image search: [Google]
half life.jpg
79KB, 800x600px
>kill the vortigaunts in the dozens in the first game
>treat the killer as their god and savior in the second game
What happen
>>
Valve just started making shit up as they went along.
>>
File: Naamloos-2.png (138KB, 350x350px) Image search: [Google]
Naamloos-2.png
138KB, 350x350px
Stockholm syndrome. Or should I say Ravenholm syndrome.
>>
they were slaves
they had to attack you or they would be killed
then freeman killed the nihilanth and freed them
>>
>>389505956
they were enslaved by the endboss of hl1, freeman freed them you doofus
>>
>oh shit a bad guy
>oh shit an even badder guy
>oh shit an evil tyrannical alien species hell bent on becoming all powerful and consuming universal superpower

Enemy of my enemy or something.
>>
>>389505956
>he missed the cave
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dQbcQjcF1eA
>>
>>389506297
Isn't that the Combine or is it that the nihilanth figure out that Earth has the teleporting technology?
>>
Honestly, I can accept them liking Gordon if only because he was bad ass enough to basically fuck up their slaver god and has shown to be get just as fucked by the other humans and military.

What I want to know is how the tensions between them and humanity as a whole stopped when their first encounters with them is getting caged and cut up for experimenting?
>>
>>389507156
Gordon was in suspension for a decade or something, thats more than enough time for the combine to come in and be total assholes to every intelligent species on the planet, and for these intelligent species in turn to realize that they need to overcome their differences. It probably helped that immediately on not being directly controlled by Nihilanth that the Vortigaunts revealed they weren't assholes all along.
>>
Nihilanth was controlling them, one in HL2 basically says that they don't forgive you because it's not their place to do so but you walk the same path.

You kill the Nihilanth and now it's masters came for your people, now both the Vortigaunt and the Humans have to unite against them.
>>
>>389507156
They probably used some kind of weird bullshit newtype link to make people understand them, I wouldn't be suprised by it.
>>
Half-life 1 and Half-life 2 are different games on a fundamental level.
Like, they have different themes.

The only reason they share a title is that it would kinda be a faux pas for valve to release an FPS game that wasn't half-life, after the original attained legendary status.
>>
>>389505956
why are they so based tho
>>
>>389506837
I think the reason Nihilanth attacked earth was simply because it showed up as first opportunity for a planet takeover.
Would you like to live on what is essentisaly an interdimensional highway all your life?
>>
>>389508806

Could you elaborate on what you mean here? They seem very similar to me outside of having the same world/story/main character. They're both shooters that rigorously stick to not breaking first person or jumping time. They both feature a huge host of weapons with a bunch of goofy nonstandard weapons. The level design is very similar.

On a completely unrelated note:

Unpopular opinion time. I actually liked the driving and boating sections of HL2. I think that they made the world feel large and connected. Most other devs would have just gone "Okay get in the car, Gordon. [blackscreen] Alright we're here" and the world would have felt less immersive because of it.
>>
>>389511182
Maybe, but it seem the Combine set this whole thing up. There is something about Nihilanth in particular that Combine wouldn't confront face to face. Same with the Gene Worm
>>
>>389511774
combine already bamboozled the nihilanth. ever wondered about the surgical scars snd shit?
>>
>>389511774
Gene Worm was a bitch, Race X in general seemed rather inconsequential
>>
>>389511182
The Black Mesa team was 'invading' Xen and abducting specimens for quite some time.

If anything Nihilanth was just retaliating against their incursions.
>>
File: jmRuYF1.png (523KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
jmRuYF1.png
523KB, 1280x720px
>>389505956
They have something similar to a hive mind connecting all of them, although they are still individuals and it's also not on all the time. They were enslaved by the Nihilanth, and upon killing him Gordon Freeman freed them and due to their connection they were instantly able to recognize that it was him that did it and spread word of his great deeds amongst themselves and later the humans once they integrated into their society.

I really like the little hints of weird lore that HL has speckled throughout it and I'm really sad that HL3 will never ever happen.
>>
>>389513036
Retconned in HL2, Nihilanth was just the Doctor Breen of some other race who was put in charge of the Xen border world by the Combine, and once they became aware of a shiny new world with lots of resources to drain and fancy cross-dimensional teleportation tech to steal they invaded and pushed Earth's shit in.
>>
From what I understand, the Nihilanth was the last of his species, essentially leading a group of aliens trying to escape the Combine across worlds. They found earth through the black mesa experiments and tried to jump, were only partially successful before the combine caught up. They used Vortigaunt as slaves, much like the combine do.

If you listen to the vortiguant in the cave during Water Hazard, he claims that they can't forgive you for the ones you murdered in black mesa, as it is not their place to forgive, but they accept that you were doing it in self defense, and they treat you as a hero because you're their best shot at taking down their ultimate enemy, the combine.

Of course, this is all been retconned so many times inconsistencies are bound to occur.
>>
>>389513585
>I'm really sad that HL3 will never ever happen.

stopped reading there

why is this a meme. Does no one know how to read or do they just read url title links to articles only instead of the actual articles.
>>
>>389505956
Cute
>>
>>389514284
>stopped reading post at the last sentence
>>
File: AutismTriggered.jpg (87KB, 605x654px) Image search: [Google]
AutismTriggered.jpg
87KB, 605x654px
>>389506695
why does he sound Jamacian?
>>
>>389511550
Chilling out with Dog and Alyx and then racing him was probably my favorite part of the game, it felt like something out of Iron Giant.
Thread posts: 28
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.